Video: And now, an important message from Eddie Vedder on Israel, Palestine, and war

posted at 6:41 pm on July 14, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, via Ace, no headline with “Eddie Vedder” and “Palestine” in it can lead to something good, can it?

Skip to 4:00 or so for the key bit. (He drops an F-bomb or two, so here’s your NSFW warning.) Right now, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, and Mike McCready are drawing straws to see who has to tell Eddie that Israel withdrew from Gaza nearly 10 years ago.

Although he never explicitly mentions Israel by name, Vedder denounces “those who go across borders and take over land that doesn’t belong to them.”

“I swear to f—ing god, there are people out there who are looking for a reason to kill,” the famed American rocker said. “They’re looking for a reason to go across borders and take over land that doesn’t belong to them. They should get the f—out, and mind their own f—ing business.”

“We don’t want to give them our money. We don’t want to give them our taxes to drop bombs on children.”

It was this point that Vedder began belting out lyrics from Edwin Starr’s pacifist anthem, “War.”

I’m going to protest by traveling back in time to when I last listened to Pearl Jam and warn my 17-year-old self to boycott. What transforms this from being merely irritating to egregious isn’t the sentiment; it’s embarrassing but not surprising that Mumbles here thinks Israel, rather than Hamas, is looking for a reason to kill and “take over land.” What makes this egregious is that this guy has the entire rock canon at his fingertips and a world-class band to back him up, and the most imaginative song he can conjure up to electrify the moment is the most famously bombastic anti-war anthem of the Vietnam era. It’d be like asking a modern folk singer to sing something about peace and having him turn instantly to “Imagine.” Your musical repertoire, even at moments of searing emotion, consists only of songs that everyone in the world knows and regards as hopelessly played out?

I guess it could have been worse. They could have played “Us and Them.” *Shudder* Exit quotation:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Was more of a Mudhoney guy. Pearl Jizz was more a pu**y tourist band I thought.

M240H on July 14, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Maybe Vedder was talking about all the illegal aliens crashing our border? Nah…I’m sure he is all for that.

jukin3 on July 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM

This.

CW on July 14, 2014 at 8:07 PM

“those who go across borders and take over land that doesn’t belong to them.

…La Raza?

JugEarsButtHurt on July 14, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Preaching politics is why Dead Kennedys got boring.

Dan_Yul on July 14, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Maybe he’s talking about the problem at our own border, eh?

Or maybe he’s talking about how we should stop sending funds to Palestine that wind up in the hands of the Hamas f*ckers who kill Israeli children?

Yeah, not really. He is a clueless liberal f*ck, per the norm.

Midas on July 14, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Ok, from where I sit, neither Nirvana nor Pearl Jam – nor ‘grunge’ in general, actually – had much to offer in terms of ‘music’. Isolated and infrequent bits of “hey, that didn’t completely suck” mostly describes it.

Meh.

Midas on July 14, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Political opinions from Toby Keith and Hank Williams Jr., a-ok. Opinions form lefty artists, “SHUT UP AND SING!!!!” You sad hypocrites.

libfreeordie on July 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Actually I believe if you look it up you’ll find out that Keith was a registered democrat, now an independent, and has had nice things to say about Obama in the past. Do some research and you’ll see I’m right. Sorry to mess up your pathetic little rant with the facts there.

bbinfl on July 14, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Proof positive that loud, overrated music kills brain cells. I estimate Eddie currently has no more than 7 at his disposal.

Splashman on July 14, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Would be nice to have a cover charge to keep the trolls out, but I suspect @libfreeordie is actually an AP sockpuppet — moronic lib trolling is great for pageviews, after all.

Splashman on July 14, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Makes a great case for the continued laws against recreational drugs.

bimmcorp on July 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I would like to spin a globe and watch this moron try to find Israel on it.

C-Low on July 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM

The core of Eddies belch there is Jew hate. Oh, they may deny that, but its there. I know there are some in here that don’t believe in a Supreme GOD as I do, but it stands to reason that since GOD chose the Jew as his Oracle People and out of the lowest end of the tribes, a Nazarene (considered the armpit of the jews back then), would come the savior of mankind. And since Satan thought he could thwart GOD’s plan, it also stands to reason Satan has a particular desire to see the Jews killed off en masse. So, he spreads his influence all over the place to minds that are open to his influence. Minds that don’t belong to believers that know and understand what Satan is out and about doing day in and day out. Yeah, to the unbeliever, this I all gibberish. But to those of us who had an ear to hear the word of the LORD, we know why its so easy for the lost like Eddie here to spew his effluvia.

Just wait, its gonna get worse too. And I mean Evil Bad too.

44Magnum on July 14, 2014 at 10:08 PM

The man obviously doesn’t know what the hell he is talking about. We should all contact the band website and let him know a little about the HISTORY of mankind. Evil does exist and must be confronted.

SC.Charlie on July 14, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Pearl Jam will playing in the Iran next month. The month after that they will be touring in Turkey. Other dates in Muslim countries are being arrainged.

SC.Charlie on July 14, 2014 at 11:11 PM

I liked Evenflow. That’s about it.

John the Libertarian on July 14, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I felt bad about no longer being able to listen Pink Floyd any more because of Roger Waters and his anti-Semitism, but I won’t have any trouble at all not listening to Pearl Jam.

claudius on July 14, 2014 at 11:38 PM

I guess if you’re going to pontificate you should know what you’re talking about otherwise people know you’re an uneducated idiot. Like others have stated Hamas is at its core an evil group of sadistic heathens who would no sooner slash this guys throat as look at him.

jaywemm on July 14, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Not surprising… the liberal mind has been brainwashed for years and years now… mission accomplished…

Bill Ayers is no doubt beaming like a Cheshire Cat.

snoozinglion on July 15, 2014 at 6:50 AM

Who is Vedder?

wepeople on July 15, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Eddie Vedder pushing hard for that “Official Band of HAMAS” endorsement, I see.

Too bad music is forbidden under Islam, Eddie.

HikaruKitsune on July 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Still waiting for Ed to write some songs about Obama since he is doing some of the same exact things Ed wrote about Bush doing. Hypocrite isn’t a strong enough word for this guy…and this is coming from a fan of PJ’s music.

For the people out there who think Pearl Jam’s music sucks, you are missing out. I can’t stand their politics but a lot of their music is very good.

If you haven’t listened to anything but TEN, then STFU about their music…you don’t have a clue.

WelfareWonderland on July 15, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I doubt there’s a single song of theirs that I have ever liked. Them and Green Day. And this sort of lunacy is why – their total lack of intelligence and wisdom comes out in their music.

GWB on July 15, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Has Vedder let Damien Echols babysit his kids yet?

One32ndHekawi on July 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Eddie Vedder pushing hard for that “Official Band of HAMAS” endorsement, I see.

Too bad music is forbidden under Islam, Eddie. – HikaruKitsune on July 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM

When are they going to play in Gaza? Is that on there tour of Muslim countries?/

SC.Charlie on July 15, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Ignorance reins supreme with this so called artist. Goes to show talent doesn’t mean to coincide with intelligence. Somewhere in his delude mind he can’t seem to get the facts straight.

regmgr on July 15, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Has Vedder let Damien Echols babysit his kids yet?

One32ndHekawi on July 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Well, in that case he was right. I despise Vedder, but Damien Echols was innocent.

WhatSlushfund on July 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Can’t watch the video because it is blocked. Only knew it is some rock & roll sh!thead because of the picture. I’ve heard the name but had to google it to find out who vedder is. And now I’ve wasted more time than that ignorant POS deserves from me.

earlgrey on July 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Yeah, about as innocent as O.J.

One32ndHekawi on July 16, 2014 at 1:05 AM

One32ndHekawi on July 16, 2014 at 1:05 AM

There was a buttload of evidence linking OJ to the crime. There was not a shred of evidence linking DE to the crime.

WhatSlushfund on July 16, 2014 at 1:34 AM