Glenn Beck: My listeners have raised $700,000 in supplies for illegal immigrant children — and Ted Cruz told me he wants to help

posted at 8:41 pm on July 14, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the Blaze, skip to 9:20 of the second clip for a bit about his chat with Cruz. It occurs to me that this is, in a way, the opposite of Palin’s call for impeachment. Many grassroots righties support impeachment but there’s virtually no one in the political class, including tea-party heroes like Cruz, willing to pursue it. In the case of Beck’s charity drive for kids from Central America who’ve been sent north across the border, some (maybe not quite “many”) grassroots righties oppose it on grounds that it’s adding an incentive for more illegals to come. But virtually everyone in the political class supports it — again, including tea-party heroes like Mike Lee and Cruz, who has an extra reason as a prospective 2016 candidate to pitch in here. Joining Beck’s charity drive is a way for Republicans who might take a tougher line on border enforcement than the rest of the presidential field to deflect the left’s inevitable accusations that they’re “heartless.” What Beck’s doing here, intentionally or not, by bringing people like Cruz into the fold is creating political space for conservatives to stand their ground on security. I’m frankly surprised that other big-name righties like Rubio and Rand Paul haven’t asked to participate too, precisely for that reason. Although, in Rubio’s case, perhaps that would be … awkward.

If Democrats end up caving and endorsing some sort of expedited deportation process for the kids who are coming, would that reduce the incentive to cross the border sufficiently to make you support Beck’s charity drive? Or is there nothing to redeem this idea among its opponents?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I have a few FB friends that are Mormon-and they are NOTHING like Beck.
annoyinglittletwerp on July 14, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Yeah, I suspect not all of ‘em are egotistical emotional basket-cases!

whatcat on July 15, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Sounds Christian to me:

Are we Christians? Of course we are! No one can honestly deny that.
We may be somewhat different from the traditional pattern of Christianity. But no one believes more literally in the redemption wrought by the Lord Jesus Christ.
No one believes more fundamentally that He was the Son of God, that He died for the sins of mankind, that He rose from the grave, and that He is the living resurrected Son of the living Father.
President Gordon B. Hinckley

can_con on July 14, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Not to help drag things OT, but pretty much any group can make the same claim. Talked indepth with a Moonie once and she explained the Unification Church’s beliefs using the Bible and the same terminology with which most Christians are familiar.

Nothing against Mormons – most are wonderful, caring people and great citizens with fine morals. However the belief system is totally foreign to both capital and lowercase “orthodox” Christian beliefs.

whatcat on July 15, 2014 at 1:48 AM

whatcat on July 15, 2014 at 1:48 AM

I’m not saying you’re wrong . . . . . but I’ve got to have more “specificity” than that.
Anyone can just claim that some other group’s “belief system is totally foreign to both capital and lowercase orthodox Christian beliefs.”

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 2:41 AM

It’s not like they don’t know where these kids are, like they melted into the vast population of the United States-they already are in Federal custody and have been.

They have no intention of sending them back home.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 15, 2014 at 5:01 AM

It’s time to cut foreign aid to Mexico.
These youngsters are being used a political pawns by the shameful Demoncrats.
Something tells me that Kerry cooked it up while he was in Mexico.
Helping them once they get here is the right thing to do and we sure as hell can’t expect the Mexican government, or, king Obama to do anything meaningful, or, rational.

kregg on July 15, 2014 at 6:03 AM

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 2:41 AM

Many others have expounded on the differences and there’s quite a bit a specificity to be found that would be too much for me to recount here. Some examples:

Mormonism and Christianity

A Comparison Between Christian Doctrine and Mormon Doctrine

whatcat on July 15, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Do we want to stop this tide of people? Stop throwing billions at it? Take the money an invade Central America, throw out the corrupt leaders, kill or imprison all the gang members and set up a benevolent dictator with capitalistic ideals. Cut off all relations and aid to Mexico until they turn back these people at their border.

wepeople on July 15, 2014 at 7:40 AM

The issue with illegals in general is that they only come
here for the freebies from government. The dependent children
will grow up to become dependent adults with more dependent
children; creating a culture of government welfare dependence.

Most of them have no intention of being small business owners
and productive members of society. The ones who wait in line
and come here legally are the ones we can count on to do that,
just like decades of legal immigrants.

Amjean on July 15, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Imagine how much better that money would do if it helped the children IN their native countries.

Forgetting how one might feel about the supposed Dreamer crowd – if we allow this new wave to stay we’re just creating the next bunch of “Dreamers” . It will never stop until the influx of illegal immigrants makes the US no better than the h*ll holes they are fleeing. Is that our goal?

Anyone consider what is going to happen when those adolescent males, 15-17, age out of any services long before they amount to much? We’ll have a group of uneducated, unemployed young men who were raised in a different cultured who have no emotional ties or loyalty to this country.

katiejane on July 15, 2014 at 8:09 AM

I’m just befuddled that we try to deport people that take all these risks and have the drive to make it here. My great grandparents came here with nothing but determination. I’m pretty sure they weren’t on an approved list when they came through Ellis. Why should we reject the next generation of immigrants? What are people afraid of?!?! UrbanCoyote on July 14, 2014 at 9:42 PM

They came at a time when we need new immigrants to settle the country. They came thru the legal method – Ellis Island. They had to be medically checked. AND when they came they weren’t allowed to live off the taxpayer. Those factors aren’t in play here.

katiejane on July 15, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Elmer Gantry and the Soccer Ball Express to arrive at the “border” on July 19th.

Galtian on July 15, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Beck is doing this for one reason:

Beck.

I stopped listening to him. I don’t read his website. In fact, I stopped listening to the station in my area that carries him. I’m done.

This guy does nothing but scare, and then insist people do what he says.

“The end of the world is coming…I’ll tell you about it all…on my TV show that you have to pay for…don’t miss it! Oh, and buy gold. And safes. And food. Don’t forget the food. Did I miss any sponsors, Stu?”

Done.

Nolaq on July 15, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Galtian on July 15, 2014 at 8:30 AM

No one could state it any better!

Amjean on July 15, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Hay, Beck. Perhaps you could spare a few tears for the children of Chicago, Detroit, or any number of other US cities. They suffer from the same disease that makes these Central Americans economic refugees, corrupt and generally left wing government policies.

At a time with millions of US citizens unemployed, under employed, or having given up looking, food stamps at record levels, and other indications that the ship is taking on water, we do not need to overload the lifeboats.

Nomas on July 15, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Nomas on July 15, 2014 at 8:51 AM

This is the part that gets me. I understand the touchy-feely “it’s for the children” but US citizens who are already struggling to stay afloat may have children who need help. While one might think Detroit brought its problems on itself the little children in those Detroit inner cities didn’t ask for the crime, the hunger, the despair. If your heart needs to bleed for the children how about bleeding for our own?

katiejane on July 15, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Give them a life vest and drop them off near the shores of their countries. Harsh but will be a teachable moment for all the rest.

There are many ways of coming to this country legally.

legalimmigrant on July 15, 2014 at 9:02 AM

A tool and a fraud.

Glenn Beck uses Vick’s Vapo Rub to force tears.

Akzed on July 15, 2014 at 9:15 AM

More freebies = more illegal immigrants

The last thing we want to do is encourage more illegal immigration.

aniptofar on July 15, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Beck has long been dead to me. But he needs medication for his bipolar mood swings. Beck is not important. But the Trojan horse children are the first phase of a deadly virus. My guess is that Valerie Jarrett cooked up this deal with the Mexican Government.

Children gain sympathy and acceptance. Behind them are hordes of parents, relatives, friends, acquaintances. A good deal for both Mexico and Obama. Mexico ditches its losers and Obama gains Democratic voters. The ultimate winner, of course, is Mexico.

MaiDee on July 15, 2014 at 9:58 AM

This guy does nothing but scare, and then insist people do what he says.

Done.

Nolaq on July 15, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Clearly – you pay no attention and never listen to Beck !!!

D’oh !!

jake-the-goose on July 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I also saw the chubby lady talking about how she has nothing to eat. Of course she is coached! I can’t believe the media is that stupid…Well, yes I can.

I hope Beck asks the kids how many want to go home too, or were forced to come here by their parents, or are we just going to hear more coached speeches?

PattyJ on July 15, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Wow, I just came back to this thread after my post last night stating that Beck is doing what Christians are called to do, and it has devolved into one debating whether or not Beck is a christian?? That really wasn’t my point, but okay then, if Beck is not a Christian then he is doing what us Christians ought to be doing for these people. As to whether he is just grandstanding, I don’t know since I don’t really listen to him much, but I don’t care if he is. He is doing more than I am for people in need.

Look, anyone who has read my posts on the blog knows that illegal immigration is a huge issue for me. In fact, I’m almost a one issue voter on it. However, my Christian conscience is telling me that it is wrong to not at least feed and care for these people before we send them back home–and I do want them back home. Yes, these people have done the wrong thing coming here, but two wrongs don’t make a right if we ignore their immediate needs as human beings. That’s all.

KickandSwimMom on July 15, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Oh, and let me be clear that I want the border sealed ASAP. None of these illegals should be allowed to stay IMO. Every one of them needs to be sent home just as soon as their basic needs are met. I am alarmed that so many are being secretly sent all around the country. This criminal administration makes me sick to my stomach, and I am for a citizens uprising to impeach this un-American lot.

KickandSwimMom on July 15, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Cruz… another RINO joins the ranks.

Walter L. Newton on July 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM

whatcat on July 15, 2014 at 1:48 AM

Let’s put it this way: Mormons are Biblical Christians (we believe what is taught in the Bible); most of the rest of Christianity are creedal Christians (adhere to creeds voted on by men and scholars). :-)

Particular Set of Skills on July 15, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Many others have expounded on the differences and there’s quite a bit a specificity to be found that would be too much for me to recount here. Some examples :
Mormonism and Christianity
————————————————————-
A Comparison Between Christian Doctrine and Mormon Doctrine
whatcat on July 15, 2014 at 7:23 AM

How’s this for specificity :

“I was answered that I must join none of them [Christian Churches], for they were all wrong…that all their creeds were an abomination in His sight” (Joseph Smith History 1:19).

“The Christian world, so called, are heathens as to their knowledge of the salvation of God.” (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 8:171)

More could be cited but these should suffice. This whole controversy didn’t really start with Bible-only believers but started with Smith and was taken up by Young.

You may disagree by asserting the two biggest figures in all of Mormon history were wrong – which no faithful Mormon would ever back you on for obvious reasons – or you agree that they were correct, meaning the LDS are the ONLY true Christians on earth.

Which do you choose?

S.P. Link on July 15, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Thank you both for your conscientious responses.
Assuming everything you presented is accurate (I don’t have any reason to believe either of you are lying), it proves to me that Mormons are wrong … but it does not prove that they are disqualified for the status of “born again believers of Jesus Christ.”
I have stated previously in various Hotair.com threads relating to this subject matter, that people claiming to be Christian believers can disagree with me on everything … except the fact that Jesus Christ is LORD of all … that He died on the cross and shed His blood to redeem all of us … that He was and evermore is raised from the dead … and you individually, must (by a cognitive decision) accept Jesus Christ as Savior and LORD.

I believe that’s all the qualifying criteria that need be met, for any individual person to be reunited in relationship with the living God.
Can anyone show me evidence that Mormonism teaches something to the contrary of what I presented above, as the qualifying criteria for a “born again believer in Jesus Christ”?
If anyone believes that the criteria I presented above is in error, there’s nothing I can do about that, except shrug my shoulders, and politely say “Okay, thank you for at least giving me a hearing”, and be done.

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Muslims are not Christians. After that, any posturing by Christians that they have a better flavor of Christianity than another person who claims to be Christian, is just putting yourself into the same category of the Muslim that preaches that they have the only true god.

I suspect that most of you don’t see the irony?

Walter L. Newton on July 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Particular Set of Skills on July 15, 2014 at 10:56 AM

As opposed to tablets written by men and claimed to have been found in their barn – which do not constitute “the Bible”, by the way.

Midas on July 15, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Midas on July 15, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Golden tablets and Moroni (was that a Freudian slip of some kind?) are just the start. Look up the “Book of Abraham” sometime.

Shay on July 15, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Shay on July 15, 2014 at 11:28 AM

And people raising from the dead, feeding 5000 (or was it 25,000) with a picnic lunch, levitating straight up into “heaven,” having conversations with a “satan,” virgin birthing… you accept that without batting an eye.

And you belittle golden tablets and angels named Moroni? Tell me some more fairy tales.

Walter L. Newton on July 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Beck is wrong. He’s looking more and more like the emperor with no clothes.

ncjetsfan on July 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Shay on July 15, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Walter L. Newton on July 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

You’re on track to be joining Satan and his fallen angels, in the place prepared for them … and that sucks, beyond belief . . . . .

Spending eternity wishing you’d never been born, is as bad as bad gets …: (

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Cruz… another RINO joins the ranks.

Walter L. Newton on July 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Sincerely, what about this makes Cruz a ‘RINO’?
How do you see a ‘real Republican’ should be acting and responding to this?

verbaluce on July 15, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Beck is wrong. He’s looking more and more like the emperor with no clothes.

ncjetsfan on July 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM

_______________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________.

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM

A tool and a fraud.

Glenn Beck uses Vick’s Vapo Rub to force tears.

Akzed on July 15, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I’m far from a fan of Beck, but I think you’re missing that he was indeed forcing tears to play along with the photo idea for magazine story.

verbaluce on July 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 10:57 AM

In the King Follett Discourse (or Sermon, spoken at Elder Follett’s death), Smith eschews the Christian concept of Almighty God, by saying “We suppose that God was God from Eternity. I will refute that. … [God] was a man like us, and the Father was once on Earth like us.” He continues to say the God was once a man, but due to righteousness he was elevated to the Father, and if we follow in righteousness, we will become gods like him.

Essentially, it is THIS theology that Smith proposed that truly separates the LDS from Christian/Jewish orthodoxy: that God isn’t the Almighty Creator God from all Eternity, that He is NOT the great I AM. Jesus affirmed His relationship with God when He said, “Before Abraham was, I AM,” and “I and the Father are one.” Not sure if that is pertinent to your question, but there it is…

mrteachersir on July 15, 2014 at 11:56 AM

A tool and a fraud.

Glenn Beck uses Vick’s Vapo Rub to force tears.

Akzed on July 15, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I’m far from a fan of Beck…..

verbaluce on July 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM

BLASPHEMY !

….. but I think you’re missing that he was indeed forcing tears to play along with the photo idea for magazine story.

verbaluce on July 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM

More BLASPHEMY ! … He would stoop to … oh, wait … yes he would, for a photo-shoot.

Never mind. I didn’t say nuttin’.
Why didn’t they just have him peel onions ?

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Enough Mormons vs. ‘Christians’.

How about Beatles vs. Stones?
(Beatles, of course.)

verbaluce on July 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM

S.P. Link on July 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM

“Do you want proof, you ignoramus, that faith without works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works. … See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. … For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.” James 3:20-21,24,26

More accurately, it is ONLY through the Grace of God that we CAN be saved, we accept that grace through our faith as evidenced by works.

mrteachersir on July 15, 2014 at 12:06 PM

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM

What he would stoop to is what got him the photo shoot.
Give the man some credit.

verbaluce on July 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM

The kind and compassionate thing to do is to send these kids back to their parents and families.

That is an incredibly low bar to clear.

ajacksonian on July 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM

But I feel it necessary to refer you once again to the #1 and #2 prophets of the LDS who said quite unapologetically that protestant Christians DO NOT KNOW GOD, thus are not REALLY Christ’s. That precludes the notion that Christians and Mormons EQUALLY belong to Christ but are just “different” Christians.

S.P. Link on July 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM

mrteachersir on July 15, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Both are examples of ‘untruth’ being taught as ‘truth’, and I disagree with it.
But I’m still failing to see how it proves that they reject what I said above :

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 10:57 AM

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Did you deliver the teddy bears to the border yet, daddy?

Galtian on July 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM

What he would stoop to is what got him the photo shoot.
Give the man some credit.

verbaluce on July 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Oh dear … ( b l u s h ) … it should read :

More BLASPHEMY ! … He would never stoop to … oh, wait … yes he would, for a photo-shoot.

How embarrassing . . . : \

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Guess we lost Ted Cruz too. Time to self destruct ;-)

elfman on July 15, 2014 at 12:30 PM

KickandSwimMom on July 15, 2014 at 10:45 AM

IMO you are falsely accusing people if you believe the rest of us want these children shoved back into the wild hungry and thirsty.

The problem with the rush to provide comfort/support is that it is all some want to do – no discussion about a plan to return the children/families back to their native countries. The longer they stay the louder the drumbeat will become for refugee status “for the children”. How dangerous it is in their native countries, how unchristian it is not to take them into our country, how we’re all immigrants, how, how, how.

katiejane on July 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I read that in 2008 George H Bush signed into law something along
the lines of – a person who comes to this country and is not a
resident of a border country (Mexico or Canada) automatically receives refugee status and is allowed to stay in this country.

This law was supposed to help those who are trafficked here for
sex or maid slavery, etc. Instead, this law has been apparently
hijacked by the Obama administration in order to allow hundreds
of thousands of illegals in to our country.

And don’t forget, it is our tax dollars that is paying for this
largesse.

Amjean on July 15, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I never could understand why this outreach by Mr. Beck was viewed as a support of amnesty. I think we should be very nice to these folks while they are here so that they can try to come back legally. But they must be sent back and sent back quickly.
Cindy Munford on July 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM

I understand them. Most are firing on one brain cell as pawns of establishment Republicans that post here (and work here). Beck thinks way out of the box and has no tolerance for their corruption. When he called the GOP out on it at CPAC, saying they were as bad as Democrats, he became their priority target. Associates and allies in the GOP exploit his frequent mistakes and quirks, paint him as a corrupt lunatic and the pawns drink it all in, hopelessly incapable of understanding the big picture even on their best day. Beck’s playing political jujitsu with statist progressives in both parties, and a few million people recognize it and crave it enough to tolerate his faults. All this has provoked many tens of millions in both parties, and flames on threads like this are their reaction.

elfman on July 15, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Ted Cruz, you should be listening to Sarah Palin , there’s a reason Sarah Palin no longer associates with or even goes on Glenn Beck ‘s show .

Unaffiliated4P on July 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM

katiejane on July 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Beck has proposed nothing that will enable illegals to stay longer and has said nothing that implies that those focused on sending them back immediately want harm to come to them. He is merely attempting to refute statist claims that they are by publicly helping to alleviate their hardship with private charity.

This is not rocket science.

elfman on July 15, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Used to be a Beck fan,Used to be a Cruz fn.Won’t ever listen to the former,won’t ever vote or the latter.Would gadly donate money to help American children who will be hurt by this invasion.Asfor the little illegals-send the bastards back! Palin in 2016 on a third paty ticket!Death to the GOP!Put Beck and Cruz out of work.

redware on July 15, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Your objection is most directly and succinctly answered by comparing what these groups (or any groups) tell people they must must do to be saved.

“Gospel” meaning “good news”. The Mormon gospel requires faith and works to ensure becoming right with God. The Biblical gospel is by grace through faith without works, either to become or to stay saved.

These gospels are contradictory and irreconcilable. There is ONE God and He has given ONE saving gospel. Mormons and Bible-only believers have TWO gospels. One of these propositions is therefore false and is, in fact, a false gospel that will damn those who preach it (Galatians 1:8-9).

S.P. Link on July 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Please read these verses and then tell me again with a straight face that works is not a component of salvation:

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

The creeds are like the blind men groping different parts of an elephant, not able to see the whole animal, and everyone coming to different conclusions. The creeds were based on debates and voting and do not accurately describe God, so yes God rejects them as not from him. True prophets know the true nature of God. Joseph Smith was reporting his first-hand experience with God, just like Moses, Abraham, Peter and others have.

With all that said, I still consider you a Christian if you believe in Jesus Christ, even if it is an imperfect understanding, and you do your best to sincerely follow His example. Mormons see things in terms of inviting people to bring the goodness and truth they already possess (believing you do have some degree of truth already) and see if we can’t add upon it (and of course we believe we can).

Particular Set of Skills on July 15, 2014 at 1:24 PM

katiejane on July 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM

How do you square your first paragraph with your second paragraph? Do you think we should feed, clothe and take care of pressing medical needs of these kids before sending them home or not? Nobody on the right is advocating that we prolong these kids staying here, but if we don’t take care of their basic needs then we are indeed shoving these kids “back into the wild hungry and thirsty.”

KickandSwimMom on July 15, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Walter L. Newton on July 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

And the Book of Abraham? Do you want to address that? And show us its equivalent in Christian or Judaic translations?

Shay on July 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Unaffiliated4P on July 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Palin is mad at former friend Beck for these honest comments and for correctly predicting that Palin was not running for president:

Glenn Beck doesn’t see Sarah Palin running for president and said she has done some damage to her political brand.
Continue Reading

Beck, a constant Palin cheerleader, said flatly on his radio show Monday, “Sarah Palin, I don’t think, wants to run for president.”

The outgoing Fox News personality has hosted Palin on his show several times – once for a full hour – and she has frequently lavished praise on him.

Still, even with all that good will, Beck was frank in assessing what Palin has done to hurt her own political stock – even though he credited her with surviving tough media coverage.

“There are some things about Sarah Palin,” he said, going on to suggest Palin made a mistake by selling her personal story in her first book after leaving the governor’s office, rather than demonstrating some policy credentials.

“She should have come out with that first book, and it should have been deep policy,” he said. “It should have shown that, yes, she knows where Russia is.”

“She didn’t help herself by doing some things to shore herself up,” Beck added.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53008.html#ixzz37YvEPONS

RUexperienced on July 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM

S.P. Link on July 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Well, thank you. I learned something today. I never understood how you rationalized that. I still think it’s the wrong interpretation, but at least I know where you are coming from.

I agree that Jesus Christ came to the lost sheep of Israel and later sent his disciples to the gentiles. (BTW, I don’t know of any church that teaches deeply the doctrines of ancient Israel, the gentiles, the gathering of Israel, etc. as the LDS Church.) Even still regardless of if you are lost or found Israel, works apply. After you are converted and born again you need to keep the commandments and live a righteous life, even striving towards perfection (not my word, the Savior’s and Paul’s – see Matthew 5:48, Hebrews 6:1). Our weaknesses keep us from achieving this, of course. We are unable to save ourselves from sin (and death). So it is through the Atonement and grace of God that He makes up for our spiritual shortfall and saves us.

The doctrine of works as a part of salvation is directed at even faithful Israel and it is replete through the Bible, both before the death of Christ and after his ascension. It’s all over the NT (a few examples from Revelation: 2:23, 14:12-13, 20:13, 22:14).

Particular Set of Skills on July 15, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Walter L. Newton on July 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Yes, I love it when “believing” Christians poke fun of Mormons for believing in modern-day prophets, miracles, angels and so on. It’s almost like Mormons take the Bible seriously!

Particular Set of Skills on July 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM

This isn’t Christian, it’s just moronic. Build an orphanage where ever they are from, and send them back. If individual Americans want to go down there and adopt a kid, I guess that’s their business.

cimbri on July 15, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Christ did tell them they’d go unto the ends of the earth with Word of Him. But as far as the Bible is concerned, none of them ever made it outside of Israel as His ambassadors. as He said they would do.

S.P. Link on July 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM

(continued)
Forgot to ask the question I was leading up to: Can you reconcile that problem? Either Christ lied and knew they would NEVER go unto the Gentiles, or the disciples were faithless and disobedient to their Lord (they sinned). On the surface, this is a MAJOR problem. Can you solve it?

S.P. Link on July 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM

The absence of Bible documentation for most of the Disciples simply means neither you nor I have any idea where they did or didn’t go.

How many of them had similar experiences to Philip, who, after baptizing the Ethiopian Eunuch … was “caught away” to another place? [Acts 8:38-40]

Here is a post-Pentecost account of the disciple’s movements and journeys, from the Catholic Church, that I can neither confirm or deny. I include it here, because they have access to other documentation that I do not (the Vatican library is rather large).

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM

cimbri on July 15, 2014 at 6:13 PM

They don’t need an “orphanage.”

The younger kids need for their elders (parents and guardians) to NOT respond, to whatever ‘advertisement’ our White House has sent down there, encouraging them to send their kids up here.

The whole of Central America could really use an act of abstinence on the part of many Americans, in buying illegal controlled substances/drugs that puts money into the hands of these “ungodly organizations” down there.

These “drug cartels” have been built by ALL Americans who practice recreational, mind-altering chemical HEDONISM.

listens2glenn on July 15, 2014 at 8:42 PM