Democratic Colorado governor exalts Obama’s pool game, is not helping

posted at 10:41 am on July 14, 2014 by Noah Rothman

President Barack Obama has taken a lot of flak for indulging his penchant for posing for photographs at inopportune moments or taking vacations amid domestic and international crises. The president’s approach to the border crisis may be his most brazen display of contempt for those concerned with the flood of illegal minor immigrants crossing the southern border.

Since the start of this crisis, Obama has been photographed dismissively playing billiards and drinking beer. From there, the president engaged in some crass campaigning just miles from a southern border he steadfastly refused to visit. Next, Obama will head off for a 15-day vacation in Martha’s Vineyard at the beginning of August.

The president would probably like for his casual frivolity in Colorado ahead of two days of Democratic fundraisers in Texas to simply disappear from the public consciousness. Unfortunately for him, Obama’s pool partner, Centennial State Gov. John Hickenlooper, is not helping in that effort.

The Wall Street Journal was able to secure an exit interview from Hickenlooper after his historic game with the president – perhaps more historic than he would prefer – in which reporters sought the governor’s impressions of Obama’s game. In that debriefing, Hickenlooper delivered an over-the-top, Kim Jong-illian appraisal of the president’s billiards ability.

The Journal sets the stage…

Like a champion, Hickenlooper entered the crucible of play ready to display every ounce of his aptitude. He told reporters he “felt pretty good” about his chance against the 44th president.

“And then, literally before my eyes he ran like four balls,” Hickenlooper marveled.

Without ceremony, Hickenlooper recalled, Obama humbled the Colorado governor before his constituents.

“I was playing as hard as I could possibly play,” he added, a conspicuous bead of sweat likely escaping his brow as he recalled this moment of shame.

Again!

“I still had four balls on the table when he nailed the eight ball,” the governor stressed

Amazing! Again!

“He was making long shots with a difficult angle,” the governor confessed. “I didn’t know people in Hawaii played that much pool. Evidently they do.”

“The man is a shark,” Hickenlooper sycophantically concluded.

What a powerhouse that Obama is. At least, in the pool hall. It makes you wonder what would have happened to Hickenlooper’s family had he merely offered a modest evaluation of the president’s game.

Meanwhile, the latest of another summer of controversies and scandals continues to weigh Obama down with just three months to go before the midterm elections. Perhaps Democratic voters will be energized enough by the party of flippancy amid crisis to head to the polls in November, but that seems unlikely.

Comments

Narcissist in chief

islandman78 on July 14, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Yeh – Obama play’s all the angles

jake-the-goose on July 14, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Obama is poison. Even Hickenpooper realizes it.

ConstantineXI on July 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Dude is SO high! lol

ThePrez on July 14, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Dear Leader is invincible.
Dear Leader is immortal.

Tard on July 14, 2014 at 10:47 AM

islandman78 on July 14, 2014 at 10:45 AM

There is a link for that. ; )

Bmore on July 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM

“The man is a shark,” Hickenlooper sycophantically concluded.

Said without a hint of irony.

Bitter Clinger on July 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM

All we need is Dennis Rodman and a whole gym of robots singing happy birthday and it will be complete.

acyl72 on July 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I think we know now where Obama spent all of his time while at Harvard.

Honolulu Fats. Once a hustler always a hustler.

fogw on July 14, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Hopefully he’ll be Cantorized, for his gun idiocy alone.

He owns the place where the oaf played pool…but wouldn’t be seen with oaf at the tarmac.

Schadenfreude on July 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM

OT – frucked up land

Schadenfreude on July 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM

After the election…

I will be more flexible…

7 ball in the corner pocket…..

Electrongod on July 14, 2014 at 10:56 AM

“All Hail Exalted Pool Player Number One!”

Hope the Colorado electorate sinks Mr Hickenliberal as definitively as Dear Leader sunk those pool balls.

orangemtl on July 14, 2014 at 10:58 AM

“I didn’t know people in Hawaii played that much pool. Evidently they do.”

What, you thought the Choom Gang did something productive?

RadClown on July 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM

The gutter rat wins.

The flip side of this that no on has mentioned is that Hickenlooper is running for re-election. I do hope that these photos will come back to haunt him. Where was Hick’s judgment in accepting a pool challenge while illegals are pouring across the border in a neighbor’s state? What kind of leadership and friend is that? I think the photo op and the game of pool reflects badly on both of them.

COgirl on July 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Is there an equivalent to a Mulligan in pool? How about life, because everyone keeps giving them to Obama.

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM

We’re talking about the guy who can’t hit 2 out of 22, so why am I so skeptical?

PS Dead kids are washing up in the Rio Grande.

Nero, anyone?

formwiz on July 14, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Thankfully, Chickencooper didn’t recount his later bedroom activities with Dog Eater.

Bishop on July 14, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I guess they finally found something Obama is good at.

Bitter Clinger on July 14, 2014 at 11:02 AM

That’s it. I’m convinced. I’m switching parties and voting Democrat in the next election. Any party that has a leader that plays pool like that deserves my support.

And if anyone in Colorado is on the fence about voting for Hickenlooper again. I have some inside dope from some of my newspaper sources. He play a mean croquet game.

How can you go wrong.

Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I’m a proofreader, and I’m cheap.

Akzed on July 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Meanwhile, the dead bodies of children are washing up on the shores of the Rio Grande.

Resist We Much on July 14, 2014 at 11:05 AM

I’m a proofreader, and I’m cheap.

Akzed on July 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM

And I’m Russian, so what’s you point?

Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Yeah, sure….

Just like Kim Jong Earflaps beat Clark Kellogg (former NBA player) playing HORSE back in 2008.

And then he missed 22 shots in a row in the back yard of the White House.

Just like Kim Jong Earflaps was curling 32 kilo (about 70 lbs) dumbbells next to a German journalist back in 2008.

And then footage showed up this year of lil’ choomie spastically straining to move around 2 lb lady dumbbells at a gym in Poland.

Fake fake fakey fake fake is what this loser is.

From his fake name to his phony scholastic record to his bogus rep as a “constitutional law professor” to his brutish “wife” and onward, this is a potempkin president, a hollow pathetic shell.

GrassMudHorsey on July 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM

O sure likes sinking his balls…Reggie said so.

msupertas on July 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Bishop on July 14, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I think we got a hint here. I think the WSJ reporter was simply being nice to Looper. I’m think that wasn’t a bead of sweat. And it wasn’t on his brow. Yes, shame indeed.

BuckeyeSam on July 14, 2014 at 11:09 AM

There is a link for that. ; )

Bmore on July 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I remember. Thank you, still.

Schadenfreude on July 14, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Now we know what BO does with his time when it’s not golfing weather.

katiejane on July 14, 2014 at 11:13 AM

illegal minor immigrants

These are not “immigrants”. That denotes legality.

These are cartel-driven usurpers of the USA, illegal aliens, per statute.

All you so-called media are derelict, in 1001 ways.

Schadenfreude on July 14, 2014 at 11:13 AM

The newly created Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is renovating the Washington, D.C., headquarters it rents—at a cost per square foot that is more expensive than Trump World Tower in New York City. The CFPB project is estimated to cost taxpayers more than $215 million… Cost projections have increased $65 million in six months and $120 million since last year’s estimate. Some of the building’s extravagant features include a four-story glass staircase, two-story waterfall and a sunken garden.

Better lay off some more army captains to pay for this.

Akzed on July 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Bishop on July 14, 2014 at 11:01 AM

“So, I look up and obama has no balls left. He just grinned at me and showed me he had no balls! It was what I had suspected all along. Dude is amazing!”

Lickinghoopster

VegasRick on July 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM

And I’m Russian,

As I always suspected Walter, if that is your real name.

so what’s you point? Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM

“Since the start of this crisis, Obama has been photographed dismissive playing billiards and drinking beer. From there, the president engaged in some in crass campaigning just miles from a southern border he steadfastly refused to visit.”

Since you’re not a native English speaker I don’t mind pointing out the obvious.

Akzed on July 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Hawaii? Chicago is more like it.

Bad, bad Leroy Brown.

Occams Stubble on July 14, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Amazing! Again!

“The man is a shark,” Hickenlooper sycophantically concluded.

What a powerhouse that Obama is. At least, in the pool hall.

At least he has balls…somewhere.

Schadenfreude on July 14, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Perhaps Democratic voters will be energized enough by the party of flippancy amid crisis crises to head to the polls in November, but that seems unlikely.

He is a one big crisis, the Oaf, who’s chief…but he plays balls, pool and golf, to display how calm he is.

What a lazy azz, by his own account

Schadenfreude on July 14, 2014 at 11:22 AM

GrassMudHorsey on July 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Schadenfreude on July 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I hope you both don’t mind if I tweet some of your comments.

Bambi on July 14, 2014 at 11:22 AM

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on July 14, 2014 at 11:22 AM

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on July 14, 2014 at 11:22 AM

You’ve got to be kidding!

Any hustler on the west side is good at pool. We need a president who is good at leading, compromising, honesty etc., etc. A pool player, I don’t think so.

BTW, chopping wood takes muscles which 0be doesn’t have if you’ve seen him shaved down in a bathing suit!

Bambi on July 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM

president obama’s pool playing takes actual skill, unlike another president’s favorite pastime of chopping wood solving problems.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on July 14, 2014 at 11:22 AM

VegasRick on July 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM

“The man is a shark,” Hickenlooper sycophantically concluded.

OOOOOH! So close Governor but the word we were looking for is ass.

Happy Nomad on July 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM

It is only a matter of time before Obama starts giving “field guidance” tours at every imaginable business venue.

Borgcube on July 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM

president obama’s pool playing takes actual skill, unlike another president’s favorite pastime of chopping wood. ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on July 14, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Apparently you’ve never chopped wood, Mr. Sock.

Akzed on July 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Akzed on July 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Your comment was right below mine, I thought you were griping about a mistake I made in my post. No where in you comment did you reference that you were talking about the thread article.

Sorry if I didn’t understand who you were talking to or about. I’m from the Czech Republic, I’m still trying to understand Americans.

Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I’m a proofreader, and I’m cheap.

Akzed on July 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM

And I’m Russian, so what’s you point?

Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Since the start of this crisis, Obama has been photographed dismissive [sic] playing billiards and drinking beer. From there, the president engaged in some in [sic] crass campaigning just miles from a southern border he steadfastly refused to visit.

WhatSlushfund on July 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM

These are not “immigrants”. That denotes legality.

These are cartel-driven usurpers of the USA, illegal aliens, per statute.

All you so-called media are derelict, in 1001 ways.

Schadenfreude on July 14, 2014 at 11:13 AM

The WaPo has a story this morning about a woman who snuck her kid into the US and is defiant in anyone who questions her doing so. She claims that she has a right to give her brat the best life possible. The problem is that it isn’t coyote mom that is providing that life it is the United States and there are ways to get her legally.

But what really ticks me off is that the woman an immigrant herself is totally ungrateful for the life she has here and seems to think she has some sort of right to break the law.

Happy Nomad on July 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Doh! Too late.

WhatSlushfund on July 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM

What a powerhouse that Obama is. At least, in the pool hall.

Well, by his own admission he bowls like a Special Olympian. He went 2/22 in free throws. He throws a baseball like a 13-year-old girl. He rides a bike like a a wuss. By definition he’ll be a decent golfer so long as he’s President and people suck up to him.

Maybe he really is good at billiards. He can’t suck at everything.

Happy Nomad on July 14, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Maybe he really is good at billiards. He can’t suck at everything.

Happy Nomad on July 14, 2014 at 11:33 AM

He’s good at sucking. That all. lickinghoopster threw the pool game.

VegasRick on July 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Hopefully, we can get Chickenpooper out of the Governor’s mansion in a few months and give him more time to practice his pool shots.

Quite possible he thinks he shot his re-election chances all to he11 by being Nanny Bloomy’s puppet on gun control – so he’s now angling for a federal job.

dentarthurdent on July 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM

But, enough about glory-holes,
let’s talk about his pool playing…

mrt721 on July 14, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I’m from the Czech Republic, I’m still trying to understand Americans.

Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Good luck with that on every level.

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Apparently you’ve never chopped wood, Mr. Sock.

Akzed on July 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM

No kiddin’.
Try hand chopping a cord of wood, and compare that to a game of pool (I’ve done both) – pool is definitely easier, more fun and less dangerous.
No skill required? Sure, that’s why people with little or no experience at it sometimes put the ax into their shins.
Can’t say that I’ve seen many billiards injuries….

dentarthurdent on July 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM

You can bet your ass he was smoking a cig while playing!

Privatize It on July 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I’m a proofreader, and I’m cheap.

Akzed on July 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM

You beat me to it.
Shouldn’t somebody be proofreading the new guy’s stuff?
You’d think a professional “writer” would be better at it….

dentarthurdent on July 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM

I’m from the Czech Republic, I’m still trying to understand Americans.

Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Yeah, good luck. We aren’t all the same. I’m a Minnesotan and I’m still trying to understand Texans.

Hat Trick on July 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM

And I’m Russian,
Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I’m from the Czech Republic
Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM

So, are you an ethnic Russian born in the (now)Czech Republic, or are you a Czech who thinks Americans are too stupid to understand the difference between the two countries?

Dolce Far Niente on July 14, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I saw his “bank shot”, any other real player would have never banked that shot, and of course he missed it badly.

I am glad that Gov. gave the interview, it just shows more and more how shallow this president is…how pathetic.

right2bright on July 14, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Walt, if I was quoting you I would have reproduced your name/date/time and maybe the relevant part of your post.

When people make a general comment they will sometimes re-post text from the article, sometimes not. I didn’t.

I’m still trying to understand Americans. Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Good luck with that.

Akzed on July 14, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Hilarious. What a great post.

Noah, you’re doing a great job.

aquaviva on July 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM

…and normally people don’t quote your name/date/time twice.

Akzed on July 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM

“It takes balls to play pool” — Eunuch in Chief

Schadenfreude on July 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM

You can bet your ass he was smoking a cig while playing!

Privatize It on July 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Protocol is smoking the cigarette after.

Oh, sorry! You were talking about playing pool.

Dolce Far Niente on July 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on July 14, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Your a damn fool. Try doing it sometime but not alone just in case you injure yourself while doing this unskilled work. At the end of the day chopping wood has produced something useful. On second thought do it alone.

wifarmboy on July 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM

…so JugEars castrated them both?…………did JugEars eat ‘em…lick ‘em…or just chew ‘em?

…if you like your ba11s…you can keep your ba11s?

JugEarsButtHurt on July 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM

He ran four balls? So what?

Running 4 balls is nothing. Where good shooters play, the issue isn’t how many balls are on the table, it’s whose turn it is, because a decent shooter is always a threat to run the table.

I’m from the Czech Republic, I’m still trying to understand Americans.

Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I see several others have already wished you luck. I’ll offer more concrete advice.

Read Huckleberry Finn, The Virginian, and Stranger In A Strange Land. For dessert, try Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas.

novaculus on July 14, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Picture it Obama doing some manual labor such as clearing brush or chopping wood. The man is urban and probably spent most of his time playing pool. He is admits to his being lazy and it shows he can’t ride a bike very well either. He gets bored easily and can’t be bothered to do manual tasks that most of us do daily without complaining.

garydt on July 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM

The jokes just write themselves.

Obungle doesn’t feel he has to do anything anymore to look like he cares. He’s a dictator and everything is in place for him.

crankyoldlady on July 14, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Maybe he really is good at billiards. He can’t suck at everything.

Happy Nomad on July 14, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Don’t insult 13-year-old girls. You wouldn’t if you ever saw them play softball.

crankyoldlady on July 14, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Maybe he really is good at billiards. He can’t suck at everything.

Happy Nomad on July 14, 2014 at 11:33 AM

crankyoldlady on July 14, 2014 at 12:37 PM

I hear tell he’s a GREAT “community organizer” … one of the best.

listens2glenn on July 14, 2014 at 12:46 PM

He wants to be impeached. Like most of his political calculations, it will backfire.

There Goes the Neighborhood on July 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I hear tell he’s a GREAT “community organizer” … one of the best.

listens2glenn on July 14, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Does “community organizer” mean getting your local gangs to have shootouts in the street every weekend?

dentarthurdent on July 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Happy Nomad on July 14, 2014 at 11:33 AM

crankyoldlady on July 14, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Also an insult to special olympians……

dentarthurdent on July 14, 2014 at 12:56 PM

And I’m Russian,
Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM
I’m from the Czech Republic
Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Geeessshhh. I was simply making a joke about my lousy spelling and sentence structure this morning. I’m a playwright from Colorado who lives in the Rocky Mountains, about 40 miles west of downtown Denver. I also write for a weekly newspaper in Park County and if you Google my name, you can find out about everything else you may want or not want to know.

Evidently Monday mornings are not best time to try to be funny. Or not funny, depending on how you took me.

I apologize if I offended anyone.

Walter L. Newton on July 14, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Obama continues to live out his fantasy of how his life as President should be.

But for the rest of the nation, it is a nightmare.

And you know what? As a nation, we deserve it. If you hire an incompetent executive to run your organization, you’ve got no one to blame but yourself when that incompetence ruins your organization.

s1im on July 14, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Obama continues to live out his fantasy of how his life as President should be.

But for the rest of the nation, it is a nightmare.

s1im on July 14, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I did my part to prevent the hiring of the fool. Unfortunately I have to go along with the ride because of the morons that did.

wifarmboy on July 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM

There is nobody in-charge of this idiot. Those who are suppose to be the “check and balance” have either surrendered or joined his side. America, and the World are skru’d.

Nat George on July 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM

“Nothing”

Schadenfreude on July 14, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Cantorize them all

Schadenfreude on July 14, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Because I would know from personal experience …..

The best pool players are the ones in the bar that can’t get the girls.

In BHOs world, that could mean “has no desire for the girls”.

Carnac on July 14, 2014 at 2:58 PM

How much medical weed has Hickenlooper been chooming??

He is as pathetic as jugears.

He will get re-elcted though, as he made weed the new state flower in Colorado

txdoc on July 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Better lay off some more army captains to pay for this.

Akzed on July 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM

We might not have gotten everything we wanted from a President Romney, but we would not have gotten things like this.

AesopFan on July 14, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Wipe your chin, Hickenlooper.

UltimateBob on July 14, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Sooooooooo….Where is this going? Minnesota Fats should be president of the US or governor of Colorado?

WTF?

Hickenlooper. Useful idiot.

NoPain on July 14, 2014 at 9:37 PM

This is why Colorado has turned red. The table was cleared of all balls.

wepeople on July 15, 2014 at 7:55 AM