Eric Holder, America’s chief law enforcement official, tries to spark racial hatred

posted at 3:21 pm on July 14, 2014 by Noah Rothman

The Obama administration long ago cultivated a sense among its defenders that lingering American racism inspires most of its critics, but it was Obama’s supporters in the press who elevated the practice of accusing conservatives of racial animus to farcical virtuosity.

It was Obama’s boosters in the liberal blogosphere, many of whom found microphones for their agitation on networks like MSNBC, who invented the art of detecting “dog whistle” racism. For those unfamiliar, this is the ability to decode supposed appeals to racial solidarity that only a professional can ascertain. While these coded claims are rarely perceived by their alleged targets, they are easily identified by our modern augurs.

The instinct among Obama supporters to invent imagined racism and denounce it with a fervor equal to that of the inquisitors evolved into parody during the 2012 election. Words like “golf,” “apartment”, “Chicago,” and “urban” became synonyms for African-Americans and for President Obama, thus rendering any subject of discussion including those words base and scornful.

As is the carnival barker’s wont, the sequel to this act had to be even grander, more spectacular than the last. So words like “PGA tour,” “angry,” “kitchen cabinet,” and “IRS” were added to the mix of words which only a professional “dog whistle” detector could assess to be signals designed to activate imagined white supremacist sleeper cells.

It was former Democratic National Committee spokeswoman Karen Finney who insisted that “welfare” must join the ranks of banned words with a racially tinged history. “Study after study has shown, very recently even, that Americans – we tend to associate welfare programs with black people,” Finney said at the time. “So, if you didn’t know that, then shame on you. If you did know that, then shame on you.”

“What the Republicans are doing is diabolically clever,” practiced Washington Post racism decoder Jonathan Capehart agreed. “They are, I believe, playing subliminally to racial fears and racial resentments.”

In a display which resulted in his firing, former Politico reporter Joe Williams and a contributor with NBC’s The Grio insisted that conservative commentators who dare mention the name of Obama’s former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, were the modern equivalent of the Klan. “It’s a claxon. It’s an air raid siren. It’s a call to arms,” Williams insisted.

MSNBC host Chris Matthews outdid the lot when he suggested the fact that Obama even drew an opponent in 2012 was a disturbing indication of the country’s, and Mitt Romney’s, racial anxiety.

The reelection of the president did not quiet the insistence that racism exists today in forms undetectable to those who are not trained mediums, but liberals have made such a joke of this practice that only a narrow audience of true believers still enjoy the performance.

A recent Pew Research Center poll revealed that only 27 percent of the public believes racial discrimination is the “main reason why blacks can’t get ahead.” That figure is inflated by the fact that 80 percent of “solid liberals” agreed with this assertion – 49 points greater than any other group within the Democratic coalition.

What’s more is that this playact is losing its novelty. When public figures make unquestionably racially tinged statements, the usual cast of characters who are our trained racism detectors display a transparent fear for their livelihoods.

In the wake of racially insensitive comments made by former LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling and Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, Capehart, one of the most accomplished “dog whistle” decoders, warned that calling out this manner of overt, obvious racial rhetoric was less valuable than the work he does.

“The harder reaction to have and the harder conversation to have is with our friends, and co-workers, and strangers, frankly, about all of the little — the small, the more nuanced ways racism rears its ugly head,” he added, résumé in hand.

It is in this light that recent comments made by Attorney General Eric Holder, the nation’s chief law enforcement officer, should be viewed. Holder, who recently implied in a speech before an audience of African-American supporters that Republicans in Congress treated him as harshly as they would any other official in the Obama administration because of his skin color, fanned the flames of racial hatred again in a recent interview with ABC News.

Asked about a statement he made years ago when he said America was a “nation of cowards” on the issue of race, Holder defended his remarks. “I think we are still a nation that is too afraid to confront racial issues,” he said.

The attorney general lamented that it is rare to witness engagement “across the color line [to] talk about racial issues.” He did little to acknowledge his own role in that condition, exemplified by an comment he made minutes before in which he implied that some who oppose him and the president are racists.

“There’s a certain level of vehemence, it seems to me, that’s directed at me [and] directed at the president,” Holder told ABC. “You know, people talking about taking their country back. I can’t look into people’s hearts, look into people’s minds, but it seems to me that this president has been treated differently than others… There’s a certain racial component to this for some people. I don’t think this is the thing that is a main driver, but for some there’s a racial animus.”

For most, this is a joke. The meme that the bipartisan notion of “taking the country back” is somehow racist was long ago debunked. As the brief history lesson above demonstrates, however, no one is listening to this nonsense beyond the cult of true believers. Those for who racism is a religion – ubiquitous and unfalsifiable – nod in agreement at Holder’s self-aggrandizement. All others roll their eyes.

It is natural and right to be incensed over the attorney general’s statement here, but a 30,000 foot view suggests there is even more reason to take heart in his remarks. Only those liberals Democrats the party desperately needs to turn out in the fall are inspired by this rhetoric; that desperate need is met with increasingly desperate tactics. A glance at the polls suggests it will not be successful.

American comity and continuously improving race relations are stronger than one presidency, no matter how committed it is to tearing the country apart.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Schadenfreude

Bmore on July 14, 2014 at 8:13 PM

95% of black people voted for Obama rather than Romney. Was that racist??

Herb on July 14, 2014 at 8:24 PM

95% of black people voted for Obama rather than Romney. Was that racist??

Herb on July 14, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I think that’s racist just for pointing it out.

BigWyo on July 14, 2014 at 8:26 PM

As far as I recall, no one accused Clinton of fanning “racial hatred” on Hot Air — the subject of this discussion.

urban elitist on July 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Hmmm…wonder if that was because as a white, pudgy redneck he would have had issues pulling off the race card even if he was the nation’s first black president. Even back then you libs were not insane enough to fall for that one.

His wife, however, was quick to hide under the sexism skirt.

That is the entire point. We hated Clinton’s policies, just like we hate Obama’s policies. You can’t defend them without outing yourselves for the phony Americans that you are so you fall back on the token race card. It has been going on for decades and it is nothing new.

ClassicCon on July 14, 2014 at 8:31 PM

What are black people?

Realdemocrat1 on July 14, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Let me see. I need to check myself on this topic:

(A) I don’t want an incompetent megalomaniac destroying my country.

(B) I don’t want an incompetent black megalomaniac destroying my country.

Nope, they don’t seem all that different.

If Eric Holder is suggesting that I would rather have a white fool as President or Attorney General than a black fool, I beg to differ.

IndieDogg on July 14, 2014 at 8:36 PM

But, slaw dogs and Game of Thrones awaits.

Have a great night nursing your grudges.

urban elitist on July 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Cute…you are watching the tv show based on the books I read over a decade ago.

How many blacks do you think have raped, robbed and murdered whites since you were born? Since we are all about honest discussions of race…and we both know by race we only mean one race.

ClassicCon on July 14, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Holder is a disgrace.

J.B. Say on July 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Message for Eric Holder:

Conceit is God’s gift to little men.

Missilengr on July 14, 2014 at 8:06 PM

He can’t be conceited. Conceit is a fault and he doesn’t have any.

(Do I really need a /sarc tag?)

Rusty Bill on July 14, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Funny thread, I’d forgotten what an ignorant POS urban elitist was.

HumpBot Salvation on July 14, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Which party nominated a presidential candidate who opposed the Civile Rights Act in 1964? Not the Democrats.

urban effetist on July 14, 2014 at 7:31 PM

English professor, right?

Sure you want to go there? After all, over 90% of Southern Democrats in Congress were also opposed to that Act and voted against it.

As for that candidate, you’re conveniently ignoring that he desegregated the Arizona National Guard, and was an active proponent of doing the same to the national military.

You also conveniently ignore that that candidate, as a US Senator, also desegregated the US Senate cafeteria in 1953.

You make this too easy sometimes. Not surprising, though, considering that O’bama lost the college graduate vote in 2012.

F-

Del Dolemonte on July 14, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I like optimism, but I wonder if that will prove to be true in many cases. I hope I’m wrong, but I’ve seen how Obama, Pelosi, Reid, Holder et al have undeniably convinced many Democrats that all opposition to Obama is race based. Many liberals seem 110% determined to find racial hostility in all things GOP. Very sad, but that is their truth. Republicans are “all white asswipes, shit stirrers, racist f@&ks” (and that’s a quote) That’s powerful hatred…and it makes me think there are Democrats who will never believe differently.
There are many liberals who will never understand that the overwhelming majority of Republicans never hated the fact that “there’s a black man in the White House”. They only hate the fact that his guiding principles have failed us all.
I’m afraid that the ginned-up hate could very well continue long after Obama is out of office.

Btw, nice article, Noah.

lynncgb on July 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Holder has long been a racist, as the Philly Black Panthers voter suppression showed. Open and shut conviction then he simply drops. No way if they had been white. This man is as bad as his boss.

IrishEyes on July 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Stop Being Black

PointnClick on July 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Holder is Bajan. How does he relate to the plight of the American black man? He’s a fraud just like his boss.

Strong Islander on July 14, 2014 at 9:44 PM

What’s new about these ogres sparking and stoking racial hatred?

It’s their MO.

Thing is I think they are being completely disingenuous.

They have nothing in common with the minorities they claim to care so much about and they don’t care, either.

What a bunch of charlatans.

Next up posts like this will be investigated.

It’s what’s for dinner.

Sherman1864 on July 14, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I have come to the realization that a white person simply cannot criticize a minority without being accused of racism. You see, if you criticize people you must hate them. I criticize my kids, so I must hate them too?

This rule is only a general rule, because white liberals can criticize minority Republicans. That’s warranted. I guess.

Mr. Holder wants no part of an honest discussion on race. He wants to lecture everyone.

There’s plenty of “blame” to go around for racial issues in this country, but it is certainly not all one sided. (I know, I’m a “racist” for thinking that, so why even try to have a “discussion”? Or is that racist too? I’m so confused.)

jjjdad on July 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM

95% of black people voted for Obama rather than Romney. Was that racist??

Herb on July 14, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I think that’s racist just for pointing it out.

BigWyo on July 14, 2014 at 8:26 PM

90% of black voters in the Democratic primaries backed Obama over Clinton. I think that’s more eyebrow raising than the Dem vs GOP contest.

TaraMaclay on July 14, 2014 at 11:08 PM

For extra credit what party helped Lyndon Johnson get the Civil Rights
Act passed? Hint, it wasn’t the party of the clan.

Tenwheeler on July 14, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Words like … “urban” became synonyms for African-Americans

1. Karl Urban plays Dr. McCoy in the Star Trek reboot.
2. Dr. McCoy’s nickname is “Bones”.
3. “Bones” is also a slang term for dice.
4. Dice are used for many gambling games, such as craps.

“Urban” is just code for saying people of color are crap, you racist!

malclave on July 14, 2014 at 11:27 PM

The Republican elites just accused conservatives in Mississippi of being racists. What’s your point?

Jayrae on July 14, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Stop Being Black

PointnClick on July 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Thanks for the repost.
Caught up with the blog, and reread Pig Trap.
Keep writing; keep safe.

AesopFan on July 14, 2014 at 11:55 PM

There have been a multitude of media- and politically driven incidents that create a strong circumstantial case that race makes up part of the anti-Obama animus. If you don;t agree, show me the proof of the counter-argument.

Bitter defensiveness doesn’t help your case.

urban elitist on July 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM

In other words, you’re accusing people of a thoughtcrime (racism) without any actual evidence (buzzwords! dog whistles!), and if we object to that, we’re being “bitterly defensive.”

Were you waiting tables for HUAC, genius? :)

Good Solid B-Plus on July 15, 2014 at 12:05 AM

On another note, it looks like Yahoo is amping up the conditioning propaganda for the government to go after people who don’t agree/like with this administrations’ policies and lawlessness(which is just about anybody with a brain): Blahoo

Sterling Holobyte on July 15, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Holder is a racist.

TfromV on July 15, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Haha, Noah just slapped his Mediate colleague “Tommy Christopher” with that one.

OxyCon on July 15, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Obama and Holder, sycophants of Rev Wright, hate white people….
We are privileged because we were born “white”.
I gave up being “white” and converted to Native American….I was born in Pennsylvania.
Every “white” American, born in the US should do the same.
III/0317

Sgt Stryker on July 15, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Words like …….. “urban” became synonyms for African-Americans and for President Obama, thus rendering any subject of discussion including those words base and scornful.

Clear proof that this is factually wrong

Shy Guy on July 15, 2014 at 1:33 AM

The long and short of it is Holder has been sent out by the machine to race bait shallow thinking leftists (redundant phrasing, I know).

This is nothing more than the Chicago machine attempting to turn out the “Obama phones” in an election year. It’s nothing more and nothing less. The Progressive/Alinsky machine is incapable of thinking further than 4 months at a time. If you doubt shallow progressive thinking check the headlines on any day in the last month. The Progressive Religion is a mindless cult.

Am I a racists? At this point in the destruction of the Republic I could care less if the mealy mouth lying fascists label me as as such. I’ve been labeled a racists for 6 years because I disagree with Marxist dogma. It matters not.

However. I am a teacher. A public school teacher. Ask any of my students of black or Hispanic descent if I LOVE them and CARE about them as much as anyone in my classroom. I think you will find they might suggest that I care about THEIR education more than the run of the mill white kids BECAUSE I want to see them succeed in this country. Am I a racist? I don’t care anymore.

I AM 2ND GENERATION AMERICAN. Understand this, ALL of my grandparents were IMMIGRANTS. My PARENTS were born during the GREAT DEPRESSION. My maternal side were ALL GERMANS, remember WWII! Talk about discrimination. My mother educated me about discrimination at an age prior to my comprehension! I grew up with the idea in my head. I’m GERMAN, pay attention!

I had a young lady from Mexico in my class a few years ago highly motivated and very proud to be from Mexico. She made sure I knew she was an immigrant in the first week of class. Her command of English was exquisite, she was an absolutely wonderful child. I SINCERELY said to her “WE are glad you are here” and differentiated curriculum specifically for her as much as she could gather for the entire year. I drove that child to 2 years beyond where she should be and she knew it.

She came to realize that she is now an American child just as I was. That Mexico was NOT going to invest in her like WE/I did. Mark my words in a decade or so we will all be proud she is an American. I can assure you of that, you will know her name. You will be proud she is here.

Am I a racists. After 6 years of Obama, I don’t care any more what they call me. I will teach my kids as individual people and make them the best Americans and Capitalist they came here to be. Kids get it, repeat kids get it. Progressives don’t. I’m to old to care about the idiot adults…

old school on July 15, 2014 at 1:55 AM

Eric Holder just sounds foolish and loses credibility when he plays the race card like this. When Bill Clinton was President, the Republicans treated him like crap. And Bill Clinton is as white as you can get.

Republicans aren’t mad at Obama because he’s black. They are mad at him because of his liberal policies and his poor leadership.

SoulGlo on July 15, 2014 at 5:41 AM

Bitter defensiveness doesn’t help your case.

urban elitist on July 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Y’all have to admit it’s pretty neat to see almost exactly the same mindset that had similar people burning witches 300 years ago.

Show him the proof you’re not a witch…

rogerb on July 15, 2014 at 6:18 AM

To the Left it will always be 1963 and even that is just a fantasy 1963 of their desire. Nothing will stop them for wanting America to be stopped in their fantasy land where the Left ‘gets everything right’ even when you point out to them that those on the Left were wrong on multiple topics AT THE TIME.

While Republican judges were expanding civil rights for blacks and all Americans, the Left was splitting between helping and joining the KKK. Can’t point out to them the number of D politicians who wore the hood at the time and blocked any civil rights reform. Nor that such things as Truman’s ‘Urban Renewal’ was a gift to D crony land developers and intended to break up the emerging black middle class. Nope, you can’t point that out to those who think one party is saintly even though Bull Connor had a D by his name and Jim Crow laws were propagated by the D party to the point that MLK registered as a R so that he would have nothing to do with the party of Jim Crow.

Point out these unpleasant facts and the modern Left and Democrats will wail and say that you are using ‘dog whistles’ when they have historically been the party of the dog whistle factory. Remember that 1963 did not see landmark civil rights legislation and LBJ quipped that the legislation he passed would keep blacks voting D for a century… meanwhile he went ahead with his own plans to break up more black neighborhoods and turn urban black families from owners to renters of poorly designed rooms in apartment buildings better suited to the USSR or a prison block than to independent human beings. The point of the ‘Great Society’ was to destroy black independence at the family and neighborhood level and to create an underclass that would be perpetually wedded to the D party.

Point this out and the wake of the destruction with high crime neighborhoods and lack of nuclear family to teach children civilized behavior and you are accused of being a ‘racist’. And yet the facts are not about race but the impact of POLICY and that the atrocious POLICY was based on a race-based agenda of… DEMOCRATS.

They cannot own up to their past policies or that of their fellow travelers, and claim that it was everyone else who instituted these policies while, in fact, it was that same lineage of thought that goes from Jim Crow to Bull Connor to the modern dog whistle hearers. Urban Renewal and the Great Society were not products of the right or conservatives, but the left and ‘liberals’ who were descended from that lineage of racism. And the impact of that line of hatred is now evident for all to see. Yet if you dare to point out that they are part of a horrific line of thought, then YOU are labeled a racist… and yet they are blowing the dog whistles which only they can now hear as it echoes in their fantasy of 1963.

ajacksonian on July 15, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Eric says he loses sleep at night worrying about “home grown terrorists.” Does he mean like the ones that were around when King George oppressed the colonists? He should be looking over his shoulder because he knows full well Americans are well armed and that the 2nd Amendment exists and that he and his boss are perpetrating tyranny in the purest form on the established nation.

wepeople on July 15, 2014 at 7:28 AM

Since Obama is half white we can ascribe the passive-aggressive behavior along with the deeply rooted psychosis to his white half. No racism there!
Man, I’m good./

partsnlabor on July 15, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Bitter defensiveness doesn’t help your case.

urban elitist on July 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM

the burden is on idiots to prove their case. So – prove to me that racial animus is what drives opposition to Obamacare (the right oppose Hillarycare too – so you can’t prove anything there); Prove to me that racial animus is behind the right’s opposition to amnesty (the right opposed W’s push for amnesty – so you can’t prove anything there); prove to me that racial animus is behind the right’s opposition to increased spending (the Tea Party began under W because of crazy spending – so you can’t prove anything there); prove to me that racial animus is behind the right’s opposition to the IRS targeting conservative groups; prove to me that racial animus is behind the right’s opposition to higher taxes (again, the right has always been opposed to higher taxes, so you can’t prove racial animus there); prove to me that racial animus is behind the right’s opposition to AGW claims (the right has been fighting that nonsense for about 10 years, well before Obama- so again, no proof).

In the end, all you have is the race card, which means you agree with all of the right’s substantive arguments. If you had a single substantive argument to make, ever – you would make it.

You never do. In my many exchanges with you, you have never, not once, put forth a substantive argument, always reverting to the race card.

When one has no argument, one calls names. Calling your opponents racist, and with no proof, shows you realize and admit you have no argument.

Only a completely uneducated idiot would pull out the kind of ignorant, hack, dishonest claims you do here.

the burden is not on us to prove we are not racist. The burden is no you to prove that we are. You have never offered one iota of evidence to support your dishonest claim.

I will ask you what I have asked you at least 50 times before: Doesn’t the fact that you must always lie in support of your ideology demonstrate to you that your ideology is false? If your ideology had any basis in fact or logic, you would not be forced to always lie, you would be able to make factual, logic based arguments in support of your ideology. That you cannot should demonstrate – were you capable of thought – that your ideology is wrong.

that you must always lie, and that you do so completely willingly and without reflection, demonstrates what kind of person you are.

In almost 6 years of claiming that opposition to Obama’s policies is based on race, you and those like you (i.e., incompetent, dishonest hacks) have yet to offer one single substantive piece of evidence even remotely supporting such a case.

Meanwhile, we on the right have pointed out that every single thing we oppose about Obama’s agenda the right has always opposed (because Obama, being an empty suit, has offered nothing new – every one of his speeches, policies, etc., is nothing but re-hashed leftists dogma).

so, how is opposing the same nonsense we opposed when someone white pushed it somehow racists now that we oppose the same nonsense when someone half-black is pushing it?

Your inability to actually engage on any topic will again keep you from doing so here. Like in the past, you will post some snarky comment and believe you are engaging in intelligent debate. Like in the past, what you won’t do is cite anything factual, engage anything anyone actually argues, or make any logically consistent point.

It’s almost as if you are wholly incapable of honest thought.

Monkeytoe on July 15, 2014 at 7:59 AM

ajacksonian on July 15, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Because leftists need a cause. As they give up religion, they make politics their religion. That is why they treat abortion like a sacrament.

Every leftist wants to be seen as “marching on Selma”. Which is why they find racism behind every action, and why they routinely gin up the pettiest things as the new slavery.

It is why also, for instance, they must always define transgressions down. For example, on college campuses now every wink or leer is treated the same as physically raping a woman.

Because they cannot find real racism, they must invent it as “dog whistles” that only they can hear.

their lives have no meaning unless they are fighting “the man” and “changing society”. In order to have meaning, those fights must be as big as the civil rights movement of the 60s. Thus, they must create villains to fight out of whole cloth.

this all stems from being less-than-intelligent. Now, some of these liberals are well-educated in the sense that they attended college and have degrees. But what they learned was incorrect, and they learned no wisdom or common-sense along the way. So, we are left with man-children who believe themselves morally righteous desperately looking for a crusade to fight, and finding none, inventing one.

And it will always be that way with the left. In 50 years they will be referring to littering as “the new Selma” and invoking Bull Connor in their fight to make you recycle your cans.

Of course, while idiots on the left do this, they will ignore as the gov’t grows ever more tyrannical, clamping down ever-more on speech and using the bureaucracy (a la the IRS) to punish dissidents. Because the left has blinders on. they believe that the gov’t can only ever do good (as long as their guy is in charge) and will forgive the gov’t for any and all transgressions, while at the same time claiming to see into their ideological opponents hearts and seeing only evil their, making it perfectly acceptable for the gov’t to target them.

It’s the same story in every leftist regime. It will not be different in the U.S. the left always supports tyranny and abuse of power, until it is too late, and then doesn’t understand when the gov’t turns on them.

that is what becomes of being ignorant but believing yourself learned.

Monkeytoe on July 15, 2014 at 8:10 AM

There have been a multitude of media- and politically driven incidents that create a strong circumstantial case that race makes up part of the proanti-Obama worship animus. If you don;t (sic) agree, show me the proof of the counter-argument.

Bitter defensiveness doesn’t help your case.

runawayyyy, just now urban elitist on July 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM

My statement above, a small alteration of your idiocy, is more accurate than yours is. Prove otherwise, if your amazing level of cowardice allows you to.

runawayyyy on July 15, 2014 at 8:53 AM

runawayyyy on July 15, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Urban elitist has proven, time and again, that she is completely incapable of honest debate based on facts or logic. All she ever does is drop a snarky insult accusing conservatives of having bad motives and then disappears.

Attempts to get her to respond with intelligence, honesty, or logic have always failed.

Which proves that she knows we are right and she is wrong. If she believed she was right, she would attempt to engage in honest debate. That she refuses to shows she knows she is wrong on every issue.

Monkeytoe on July 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM

2009-2017: The Reparation Years.

freedomfirst on July 15, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Holder is a typical leftwing racist black. He has good company with obama, jesse jackson, al sharpton and the rest of the black racists and race baiters on the left. They enjoy living on the democrat plantation and they make a mockery of everything MLK stood for.

earlgrey on July 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM