Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing

posted at 5:01 pm on July 13, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Representative Bob Goodlatte took to the Sunday morning chat circuit, specifically ABC’s This Week, to assure his fellow Americans that there was no need to impeach the President and no plans to do so in the foreseeable future. The Corner has the details.

Representative Bob Godlattte (R., Va.) does not believe President Obama has done anything that would merit impeachment under the Constitution.

“We are not working on or drawing up articles of impeachment,” Goodlatte, who chairs the House Judiciary Committee, told George Stephanopoulos on This Week Sunday. “The Constitution is very clear as to what constitutes grounds for impeachment of the president of the United States,” Goodlatte continued. “He has not committed the kind of criminal acts that call for that​.”

Before we get to the specifics of the crimes in question, here’s the video.

I personally haven’t shown much interest in impeachment, primarily because the odds of it being successful seem even less likely than with Clinton, particularly given the current structure in Washington. But Goodlatte does leave room for some long standing questions to be addressed. What sort of criminal acts would it take for Bob to change his answer?

The Constitution isn’t exactly crystal clear for those reading it in 21st century language on this subject. Article II, Section 4 says that it would happen on conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors. Treason is pretty well defined in the founding documents and would be a hard case to make. The same with bribery. But I’ve always struggled with the “high crimes and misdemeanors” part. Obviously the use of misdemeanors is a bit different than what we think of today, or else you’d be impeaching people for jay walking. But the origins are apparently quite different. Jon Roland of the Constitution Society has a pretty good primer for the layman.

The question of impeachment turns on the meaning of the phrase in the Constitution at Art. II Sec. 4, “Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors”. I have carefully researched the origin of the phrase “high crimes and misdemeanors” and its meaning to the Framers, and found that the key to understanding it is the word “high”. It does not mean “more serious”. It refers to those punishable offenses that only apply to high persons, that is, to public officials, those who, because of their official status, are under special obligations that ordinary persons are not under, and which could not be meaningfully applied or justly punished if committed by ordinary persons.

Under the English common law tradition, crimes were defined through a legacy of court proceedings and decisions that punished offenses not because they were prohibited by statutes, but because they offended the sense of justice of the people and the court. Whether an offense could qualify as punishable depended largely on the obligations of the offender, and the obligations of a person holding a high position meant that some actions, or inactions, could be punishable if he did them, even though they would not be if done by an ordinary person.

One of the chief and most likely applicable examples Roland cites is that of “perjury.” (Which quickly swings us back around to Bill Clinton if we’re not careful.) But the current understanding of the word – as in lying under oath – isn’t the same as what the founders had in mind when it comes to those in high office. Roland makes the case that they defined it differently for Presidents, translated as “violation of one’s oath (or affirmation)”.

The oath in question is pretty easy to find also:

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Since I’m not a constitutional scholar, I won’t even try to break that down for every possible scenario, but by Roland’s reading, it certainly seems to leave a lot of gray area where a variety of failings of the chief executive could apply. But in any event, assuming Goodlatte is correct, this remains an academic discussion anyway.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m one of those who says we shouldn’t but hell yes he deserves it. If we had a media it might be worth a try. Cindy Munford on July 13, 2014 at 7:46 PM

I understand the arguments against. I just want people to see them for what they are. Political, and not principled.

I get it, but it makes me sad.

At some point playing this game will come back to haunt us.

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 7:54 PM

So…what sort of criminal acts has he committed?

BobMbx on July 13, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Well, by the new standard of smidgen…. “Not A Smidgeon”!

Tard on July 13, 2014 at 7:55 PM

If we had a media it might be worth a try.

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2014 at 7:46 PM

You are right the media would never go along..Plus another problem is we (GOP) do not control the Senate..:(

PS..Another thing that is getting left behind in this is the Senate (under Dingy Harry) are the bad actors in this “play” for allowing Obie to run out of control not the House GOP..The Dingy Harry Senate has been given a pass and are the folks who should be blamed..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Wait. So, this guy is all fine with Obama subverting Congress and letting go prisoners from Gitmo, for a traitor?

A road to dictatorship if ever there were one.

By the way, this is how that happens, not with bloody takeovers, but by a silent creep and disregard for law.

Sharr on July 13, 2014 at 7:57 PM

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 7:54 PM

If we (GOP) start winning elections things will change..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM

If we (GOP) start winning elections things will change..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM

No they won’t. Not unless the candidates elected are determined to change things. Too many in the GOP seem content with things as they are.

Aitch748 on July 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM

It didn’t work.

It opened my eyes.

I’ve learned a few lessons, too. I voted for Sarah Palin, not McCain, in 2008. It didn’t work. I campaigned my butt off for Christine O’Donnell in 2010 and sent money to Joe Miller. It didn’t work.

How can you talk of politics without mentioning political calculations???? This isn’t a college essay!

Every single president has had his detractors. Yet none has been impeached and removed in the HISTORY of our nation.

Therefore I conclude: impeachment is just not practical!

Do I think Obama deserves to be impeached? Sure. I think he’s a crappy president. I think he abuses his power. I think he’s arrogant and bitter. The mere thought of him unnerves me.

But I also thought he deserved to be DEFEATED by Romney.

Why wasn’t he defeated? Why is Obama the only president since Eisenhower to win 51% of the vote twice?

Because Obama campaigned his butt off and turned out his base. African Americans voted in a block for him, and they comprise 12% of the population.

Obama lost whites, males, independents, people over 40, and obviously conservatives.

But he won the minority vote at a HIGHER rate. They voted in a block for him. And they turned out.

Do you honestly think Sarah Palin herself would have gotten more votes than Obama? Why didn’t she run?

I don’t know the answer.

But crying for impeachment doesn’t solve anything, in my opinion. It just changes the subject.

Nicole Coulter on July 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM

The ones calling for impeachment are treasonous traitors.

Ned Pepper on July 13, 2014 at 6:01 PM

This comment doesn’t make any sense.

How is a different opinion about what constitutes “high crimes and misdemeanors” a treasonous act?

How is attempting to use Constitutional procedures considered treason against the Constitution?

You should admit that you simply support fascism as long as it’s your guy in charge.

corkie on July 13, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Goodbye GOP, I’m not voting federal level this year; enjoy what you’ve wrought.

Bishop on July 13, 2014 at 8:12 PM

If we (GOP) start winning elections things will change..:) Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Will they? You think Thad can find his way to change? Or mccain? Lindsey?

Somehow, McConnell as majority leader leaves me less than inspired.

There is no GOP, much. Just GOPe.

And they are no better.

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Impeachment is an extreme solution. It cannot succeed without 67 votes to convict in the Senate. For that, a broad public consensus is necessary.

What we learned from the Clinton years is that Democrats and swing voters will let a Democrat skate with almost anything. Perjury wasn’t enough to remove Clinton, taking liberties with executive power – even “failure to execute the laws” – won’t be enough to remove Obama.

If you don’t understand that, there is no point in further discussion.

~~

All trying would accomplish is to make some conservatives feel better, while galvanizing the discouraged voters who backed Obama to come out for him one last time. Guess how the media would come down on it?

Whereas if we don’t do anything rash, those people are depressed, disappointed, and disillusioned, and won’t turn out for midterms and maybe not even in 2016.

So even pretending to give serious consideration to the idea is idiotic.

Adjoran on July 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Will happen in 2015 unless he resigns.

Amazingoly on July 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Do I think Obama deserves to be impeached? Sure.

Then stand on your principles.

We may lose. In fact I’m certain of it. But I’ll lose with dugnity an honor. Pretty much all I have left.

You can play the game, bu( in reality,, it’s playing you.

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Aitch748 on July 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I think they will change if we (GOP) win the Senate..And then you have 2016..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Just calamity, right, Bob?

BuckeyeSam on July 13, 2014 at 8:22 PM

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 8:14 PM

So we have some moderates in GOP..Yes we do..But I wold rather have them in the GOP than in Dems..Rest assured we will NOT change or even stand a chance to change this course unless we start winning more elections than the Dems..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Well, I take a tad bit of offense at being called unprincipled. All we can do is watch. Now if you are calling Congress political and unprincipled, I’ll say no sh!t. But if you think we should all listen to wall to wall media coverage of the racists that want to impeach their hero while he uses it as cover to do even more crazy stuff, I’m game. Cindy Munford on July 13, 2014 at 8:21 PM

I in no way meant that about you. I’m sorry if I wrote it so poorly you would infer that.

That’s not what I meant.

But there are two arguments,, which you acknowledge.

You say he deserves it,, but we shouldn’t.

I get political reality,, I’m saying it sucks. And we should recognize it fr what it is.

I think highly of you. My apologies.

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I disagree. I know you still like the Republicans but they’re a bunch of thieves. The only thing that changes is who gets the lion share of the money.

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2014 at 8:33 PM

o we have some moderates in GOP..Yes we do..But I wold rather have them in the GOP than in Dems..Rest assured we will NOT change or even stand a chance to change this course unless we start winning more elections than the Dems..:) Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM

My Senators are McCain and Flake. They aren’t “moderates”, they are progressives.

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 8:37 PM

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 8:31 PM

No, I know that, no apologies are needed. I agree with you that it is truly distressing that we are doing what is politically expedient rather than what is right. As was said in another thread, there are no more Patrick Henrys or Nathan Hales.

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I can your point..But they all are not thieves..We have some Good guys and ladies..I think you are correct that there are a lot of “pork barrel” pols in the GOP..But they are looking at the end of that era..It is not here yet but the end is in sight..:)

PS..All I know and am trying to say is that if we keep the Dems in power things will never change..And the changes I see in the Dems..Things will get worse..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I ca see your point..But they all are not thieves..We have some Good guys and ladies..I think you are correct that there are a lot of “pork barrel” pols in the GOP..But they are looking at the end of that era..It is not here yet but the end is in sight..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Sorry..Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Good. It would bother me if you though I was offering insult to you.

I know you get what I mean.

I’m just saying at some point and at some pain, we are going to have to
start doing the right thing.

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 8:47 PM

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I am going to disagree..They are not in Liz Warren and Barbara Boxer territory..imho..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:49 PM

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I am enjoying the discussion..It has been very good..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I’m just saying at some point and at some pain, we are going to have to
start doing the right thing.

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 8:47 PM

The same argument you’re making … from the first Palin/Impeach thread five days ago:

After a certain point (a point surpassed quite some time ago), the politics have to take a back seat to some simple truth. Obama has committed dozens of impeachable offenses. It just doesn’t matter that Boehner is too cowardly or too far up Barack’s backside to act on it, the need to state as fact that the President ought to be impeached is compelling. It doesn’t matter that there aren’t enough votes in the Senate to convict, regardless what is enacted by the House, the Constitution is screaming for someone to defend it, and it seems that no current federal officeholder is up to complying with their Oath, so somebody must speak out.

And every one of you cowards who has a reason why it shouldn’t be done, you make me sick. Justice demands that this carnival act of a President be held responsible for his crimes against the Constitution. The rule of law, that thing that every conservative knows is more important than politics, demands that the law be enforced. Since this administration will not, somebody must.

As usual, Gov. Palin’s words are correct, ethical, valid, and unashamedly patriotic.

Freelancer on July 9, 2014 at 12:05 AM

ShainS on July 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Why do we need a congress?

Brock Robamney on July 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I really wish that the punditry on the Right would encourage the people of Mississippi to vote Democrat if McDaniel isn’t successful with his attempt to the get the primary overturned. I think it would really send a message to those folks in D.C.. If they succeed in getting Cochran reelected they will pull this same stunt over and over again until all the conservatives are gone.

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM

“High crimes” to me would mean lying to the public to serve your own self interest about the death, that your secretary of state failed to prevent, of four Americans serving your administration. High crimes to me would be if you knowling allowed the IRS to be used against your POLITICAL opponents. High crimes would be if you knew that your abysmal foreign policy was about to cause a huge border crisis and you refused to work with the other side to thwart it. High crimes to me would mean that people that you chose to be in your administration were common criminals and anti-Americans like Eric Holder and Lois Lerner. When over 60% of the public believes that you lie most of the time on important matters that is a high crime!

inspectorudy on July 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Brock Robamney on July 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM

We certainly don’t need this Congress.

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I can see your point..But they all are not thieves..We have some Good guys and ladies..I think you are correct that there are a lot of “pork barrel” pols in the GOP..But they are looking at the end of that era..It is not here yet but the end is in sight..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Sorry..Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Second time fix is the charm..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Do I think Obama deserves to be impeached? Sure.

Then stand on your principles.

You can play the game, bu( in reality,, it’s playing you.

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 8:21 PM

I am standing on my principles. Obama must be neutralized in the only viable way possible at this point … by a GOP Senate. I will enjoy watching him suffer over the last two years when he gets investigated by the House, blocked by the Senate, and has to veto bill after bill to preserve what remains of his shrinking legacy and influence.

Bring it on!

Nicole Coulter on July 13, 2014 at 9:13 PM

The only nuts talking seriously about impeachment at this time, still have a Clinton death list stuck to their refrigerator door.

Moesart on July 13, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Goodlatte- Establishment shill. Next.

Mr. Arrogant on July 13, 2014 at 9:28 PM

m standing on my principles. Obama must be neutralized in the only viable way possible at this point … by a GOP Senate. I will enjoy watching him suffer over the last two years when he gets investigated by the House, blocked by the Senate, and has to veto bill after bill to preserve what remains of his shrinking legacy and influence. Bring it on! Nicole Coulter on July 13, 2014 at 9:13 PM

You have more faith in Mitch than I do.

Maybe it will take one more time of getting effed over.

You think we have that long?

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Moesart on July 13, 2014 at 9:19 PM

…so?…mine has 3 pizza place magnets holding it up!

JugEarsButtHurt on July 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM

am enjoying the discussion..It has been very good..:) Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Me too. I know you are one of the good guys.

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 9:33 PM

am going to disagree..They are not in Liz Warren and Barbara Boxer territory..imho..:) Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 8:49 PM

You know about the hillary juan mccain get-together in xsedona, right?

I bet if you looked up the money,,

Who do you think mccain would sooner kiss?

Lizzy or Cruz?

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Well, great. Just wonderful. Nice precedent you’re setting there Congressman.

anuts on July 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I’m going with Cruz over Lizzy..Now if you would have said Lindsey..:):)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Note to Congressman Goodlatte:
Impeachment is not about ‘criminal acts’, it is about abuse of office, and acts against good order and governance. That is what the Founder’s meant by “…high Crimes and Misdemeanors…” among other things.
Perhaps you need to review the Bill of Impeachment that the House Cmte on the Judiciary was working on in 1973-74?

Another Drew on July 13, 2014 at 10:30 PM

The founders didn’t even foresee a president acting as crimanally as Obama does on a daily basis. Blatant disregard for the Constitution such as Obama does wouldn’t have seemed possible to them with all the checks and balances they put in place, armed populace, etc.

Obama should have been impeached several times by now. The Democrats would have been with us after the first few. The man is an out of control menace.

Buddahpundit on July 13, 2014 at 11:22 PM

You have more faith in Mitch than I do.

Maybe it will take one more time of getting effed over.

You think we have that long?

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 9:30 PM

This Senate will include Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, Rand Paul, Tim Scott, and a number of other good conservatives that are in ascendance. We have not seen what they’re capable of in the MAJORITY. I, for one, would like to find out.

Let’s not forget the progressives had a 40-year head start on the Tea Party … It’s going to take decades to clean up their socialist mess.

Nicole Coulter on July 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM

The Feds are dumping the Illegals in the states to be cared for by the states.
The Feds control legal immigration.
The states cannot be coerced into performing Federal functions per (Roberts).
They should refuse to house these illegals in state/local facilities.
If your state officials do not resist this Obamination, they should be removed for people who will exert states rights.
Illegals should be aprehended and dropped at Federal facilities.
Goodlatte’ is a big government guy feeding at the trough.

I’m so angry I could eat my keys.
III

Sgt Stryker on July 13, 2014 at 11:26 PM

That statement is inexcusably wrong. The Constitution certainly is not very clear about the grounds for impeachment, and that is probably deliberate to prevent restraining it to only the grounds obvious when the Constitution was written. There’s plenty of room for discussion on the exact meaning of “high crimes and misdemeanors.”

Nothing more than a transparent attempt to assure everyone that nobody is thinking about impeachment, when in fact people are beginning to think about exactly that.

Sounds like a RINO.

There Goes the Neighborhood on July 14, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Goodlatte is an AMNESTY SHILL RINO……

Realdemocrat1 on July 14, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Hey, Ned Pepper is here! How are things in the cut ‘n’ paste shop at Daily Kos?

(rim shot)

But seriously.

Bill Clinton was the first elected pResident to be impeached. The main beef was that he lied under oath before a Federal Grand Jury, which is a felony crime per US Criminal Code.

But what most people do not know is that just a few years earlier, Clinton’s DOJ successfully prosecuted a female federal employee (VA Doctor) for lying under oath about sex.

SCOTUS just ruled recently that O’bama’s use of Executive Orders violated his Oath of Office, an impeachable offense.

You do the math.

Del Dolemonte on July 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM

A president is impeached in the senate. The senate is controlled by the democrats.

V7_Sport on July 14, 2014 at 2:18 AM

No, it’s not the right thing to do. You may think it’s “right” for you to win the lottery, too, but odds are against you, so why waste your time and money????

The RIGHT thing to do is to campaign our butts off and retake the Senate.

The RIGHT thing to do would have been to campaign our butts off to help Mitt Romney defeat Obama in the fall of 2012.

I’m getting a sense that the same people clamoring to remove Obama from office in 2014 are the same people who did NOTHING to help remove him from office in 2012.

Because President Mitt Romney would have been worse or something …

In the land of reality, unless you can win an election, it’s just NOISE. And it may even be self-defeating NOISE.

Nicole Coulter on July 13, 2014 at 7:36 PM

V7_Sport on July 14, 2014 at 2:21 AM

Really?

Rep. Goodlatte doesn’t think the use of the IRS as a political weapon is worthy of impeachment? What about sweetheart deals for political insiders like the owners of Solyndra? Does the patently obvious quid pro quo between Obama donors and favorable government loans, contracts, and policy not constitute bribery? If not, please give us an example of what does merit impeachment.

How about the list Obama’s lawless acts published by Sen Ted Cruz?

Do you at least agree with Cruz those are criminal acts?

Rep Goodlatte, what are the consequences for the criminal acts he has committed?

Instead of talking about handicapping the horse race and the politics of impeachment, how about first discussing the merits, in specifics.

As Gov Palin said, if Obama’s actions don’t rise to the level of high crimes and misdemeanors, nothing does. I grant the political reality is he could be caught in bed with an underage male intern while selling crack for the mob and democrats wouldn’t agree to impeach him.

…and the job of the ‘loyal opposition’ is to talk about the merits of impeachment to highlight his criminal acts to tar and feather democrats with their hypocrisy and brazen partisanship.

TXGRunner on July 14, 2014 at 2:32 AM

“He has not committed the kind of criminal acts that call for that​.”

Well, there’s another ignorant fool who decided not to stay silent.

Hey, Bob, thanks for clearing up our questions whether you were one or not.

Mark the beclowner down for replacement at the next possible opportunity.

Dusty on July 14, 2014 at 5:09 AM

Nicole Coulter on July 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I agree! However, a small correction. Andrew Johnson & Bill Clinton were actually “inpeached” by Congress. Impeachment is merely an indictment of wrongdoing. Congress, then, has to vote to remove from office and, to this date, no one has been. Bill Clinton was impeached for lying to the American public & Congress. Man, Oh man, Oh man, does that justify impeaching the wannabe dictator presently in the White House. And he should be removed from office, however, the media and the Democrat base will never allow it to happen. Any attempt to do so, will land squarely at the feet of the Republican Congress. Heck, they’re taking a beating anyway for opposing his nibs, can you imagine impeachment proceedings?

Boats48 on July 14, 2014 at 6:52 AM

It’s funny how the human mind can twist things into such a knot that up becomes down and right becomes wrong.
Does Obama deserve impeachment? Hell yes. But things get all gummed up in people’s minds because of political angles and such. Usually the right thing to do is the right thing to do.

Anyway, the thing is that Obama is both a narcissist and a sociopath. As long as he suffers no major and direct consequences for his actions, he will do increasingly outrageous things as time goes on.
Don’t be surprised if you see him on live TV in the Oval Office screwing his boyfriend or eating his dog or some such thing. (Joking, but you get the idea.) And the Rinos in Congress and the little Rinos out here in the world will be tying themselves in knots debating whether he should be impeached over it!

justltl on July 14, 2014 at 7:09 AM

One must ask, what “criminal” acts did the king commit that caused our revolution?

Funny how illegals aren’t criminals because breaking the law is just dandy and any evil the government does gets the same corrosive thinking, that evil requires a crime status.

And so it is we’ve slaughtered 55 million innocent babies….legally. Nothing wrong there.

Don L on July 14, 2014 at 8:08 AM

V7_Sport on July 14, 2014 at 2:18 AM

“Impeachment” is the act of formal accusation in the House of Representatives. It may or may not lead to a conviction in the senate. Impeachment is not the removal from office. Removal from office is a possible consequence of impeachment.

gryphon202 on July 14, 2014 at 9:14 AM

“He has not committed the kind of criminal acts that call for that​”

It is extremely disheartening that a U.S. Representative is so ignorant about the impeachment process. Impeachment is a political and not a legal process. Although a person who is subject to impeachment can certainly be impeached for breaking a legal statute, that is not necessarily a requirement for impeachment. A simple charge of abuse of power is enough to impeach if the political will is present.

rjh on July 14, 2014 at 9:16 AM

This Congress’s inability to hold this President accountable for his many violations of his oath of office, has set the precedent, for a future occupant of the oval office, to continue this kind of behavior. It will become SOP for future Presidents, who hold the Constitution and the other coequal branches of government, in disdain. That can only lead to the undoing of the Republic, as envisioned by the Founders. And, that is the objective of the Democrat Party and the progressives.

kjatexas on July 14, 2014 at 9:43 AM

We haven’t succeeded in convicting a president yet under impeachment proceedings. How the possibility not succeeding in obtaining a conviction should deter us is beyond me. Impeachment itself would have such a positive effect on the American spirit I cannot not see forgoing it for any consideration.

claudius on July 14, 2014 at 3:24 PM

wolly4321 on July 13, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I’m with you. Voting Republican fixes nothing. The GOP had total control in 2000-2006 and we still had massive growth. There is no way the GOP will challenge Obama. He will keep writing executive orders to override the constitution, so the congress is irrelevant

Brock Robamney on July 15, 2014 at 5:43 AM

claudius on July 14, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Hmmm….. Forgot about Bill Clinton???

Brock Robamney on July 15, 2014 at 5:44 AM

“He has not committed the kind of criminal acts that call for that​”
rjh on July 14, 2014 at 9:16 AM

He doesn’t disagree with you, he just agrees with Obama. He wants Obie to rewrite immigration law without Congress, so he gets no blood on his hands and gets amnesty. Which means that the CoC will fill his coffers. He is a Kronie of the highest magnitude

Brock Robamney on July 15, 2014 at 5:48 AM