Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on July 12, 2014 by Allahpundit

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a Republican who has seen thousands of unaccompanied children flood across his state’s border, has seized the spotlight in recent days to become the national face of opposition to President Obama’s immigration policies

“This gives Gov. Perry an opportunity to take very legitimate and timely shots at the White House and the president’s failed leadership and philosophy to tour his expertise in border security and get to the heart of the immigration issue,” said Raymond Sullivan, a former adviser to Perry…

The crisis at the border has also provided Perry with the opportunity to change his image on immigration, an issue that hurt him during his 2012 run for the White House, when conservatives saw him as too soft…

Political observers expect Perry to continue to seize on the issue in the months leading up to a presidential run. “He will use it,” said Cal Jillson, a professor of political science at Southern Methodist University. “It will benefit him in Texas, and it will benefit him nationally.”

***

Amid the imagery and policy tussling Wednesday over the border immigration crisis, there was this delicious irony: The issue that confounded Rick Perry more than any other when he sought the presidency in 2012 has now given him a center stage role opposite the man who won the race…

Defining moments are often thrust upon political figures—it is far harder to create them than to rise to the occasion when they slap you in the face—and for Perry this moment came at an opportune time, just months before he leaves office and amid a national redemption tour that has brought him both praise and scorn as he considers a second presidential run in 2016…

In Perry’s ongoing national tour, he has emphasized areas where his views and record are most akin to Republicans at large. He has talked up job gains in Texas, reiterated his conservative views on gays and other issues, and exhorted his belief in a government that is small and based in the states, not D.C.

His odds in 2016 would seem to be long; the path from laughingstock to front-runner is rocky and circuitous. But the Republican field is replete with potential candidates whose upsides are negated at least in part by substantial downsides. And now Perry has a chance, if he can navigate it, to return to his party’s good graces on an issue that proved a big part of his undoing last time out.

***

[I]t does give him the chance to change the subject from his “oops” moments and remind people why they thought he had a good shot before his 2012 dreams were derailed.

“It’s a side of Rick Perry the national public really hasn’t seen that a lot of us in Texas have,” said Texas Rep. Michael McCaul, who chaired a Homeland Security field hearing on border crisis in Texas last week with Perry as lead witness. “It’s one of his most passionate issues. He’s not coming across strident; he wants to see D.C. work. He’s solution-oriented.”

One Republican operative close to Perry in Texas, who said he could not speak on the record, said that in a setting where Perry feels comfortable with an issue, “people love his ass.”

“He’s a lot smarter than he came across and sometimes comes across. Put him in that setting and he’s a stud at it,” the operative said. “He owns a small room and flops in front of the national camera.”

***

His compassionate stance toward those illegal immigrants already here (e.g. in-state tuition) that got him in hot water in 2012 now acts as validation that he is not an extremist nor is he uncaring on the issue…

He is underscoring the difference between Washington D.C. politicians who talk and governors who do things.

He gets respectful treatment from the media, which recognize his expertise on the subject and have no qualms about using him to bash the White House for its remarkably inept handling of the crisis.

When and if he does run for president the first image that pops into voters’ minds may not be the 2012 debate performances, but instead the 2014 border crisis.

***

Miller downplayed any impact from the current immigration crisis on a potential 2016 bid, saying “to me these are two completely separate issues.”

But GOP analyst Ana Navarro, a CNN contributor who’s close to former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, another possible 2016 GOP presidential contender, said “Perry embodies an interesting dynamic regarding immigration.

“He’s a border enforcement guy with the experience of being a border state governor, but he’s also shown compassion towards the human angle of the immigration debate,” she said.

Navarro added that “If he can somehow walk that tight rope, and be eloquent as to how he defends his position, it can show him as a pragmatist and be helpful.”

***

If Perry can project a relationship with Obama of fruitful contrariness – I don’t like you, but I’ll deal with you if I have tohe will have hit on an enviable political sweet spot where he can be neither faulted by the hard right for being too much in the president’s pocket nor written off as an obstructionist scold with a legislative resumé written largely in the language of “No”…

“Git ‘er done” conservatism is Perry’s trademark, in stark contrast with Your Parents’ GOP. So he has staked out a position the left – to the left! – of Obama on drug decriminalization, and got out ahead of the rising libertarian movement – Rand Paul and Cory Booker – on low-level drug crimes. Perry has already shown a deft – deft! – touch in explaining why he’s actually led the Obama administration when it comes to prison reform and alternative sentencing for non-violent drug offenders: it is, he’s said, about Christian mercy and saving money, the dual ideals of totemic importance to the GOP’s base…

He’ll have to weather some stumping, of course, and, of all the potential Republican presidential candidates, Perry stands to benefit the most from the shortened primary season and curtailed debate schedule. But it would behoove his naysayers to remember that his bad-to-weird stump performances in 2012 were a seeming anomaly in a retail politics career that once earned him comparisons to Bill Clinton and the endorsement of a liberal state congresswoman “on personal grounds” during his first gubernatorial re-election campaign.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9 10

Parmenides on July 13, 2014 at 12:30 AM

*smooooch!*

Wait…you’re not a chiropractor, are you?

Newtie and the Beauty on July 13, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Kind of. I got my medical degree in Guam before it tipped over.

Parmenides on July 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Good night Hot Air. More work in the am…
Doc Holliday on July 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Niters and sleep well, Doc!

Newtie and the Beauty on July 13, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Doc Holliday on July 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Night Doc. :)

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Parmenides on July 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM

LOL! To think a Dim actually said that.

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Kind of. I got my medical degree in Guam before it tipped over.
Parmenides on July 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM

I’ve been lucky, Parm–never had to visit a chiropractor for treatment…always sat in the waiting room…

Newtie and the Beauty on July 13, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Quick Pop IN:

Heard on ABC News Radio Spot:
=============================

Mother of police officer killed by drunk illegal immigrant driver pens furious letter to Obama after authorities failed to deport him following earlier arrests

Raul Silva-Corona drove the wrong way along Arizona highways for 35 miles before smashing into a car driven by Brandon Mendoza, 32

Both men were killed in the fiery crash on May 12
Mendoza’s mother has now written a furious letter to President Obama demanding to know why Corona had not been deported

He was an illegal immigrant from Mexico but had been allowed to stay in the U.S. after pleading guilty to criminal conspiracy in 1994 in Colorado

By Lydia Warren
Published: 13:11 GMT, 11 July 2014
Updated: 13:28 GMT, 11 July 2014
*********************************

I am furious that the Federal Government allowed this criminal to stay in this country and KILL my son!’

Corona was a native of Chihuahua, Mexico, who had entered the United States without permission.

Court records show that he pleaded guilty to a criminal-conspiracy charge in Adams County in 1994 and prosecutors dismissed charges of burglary, assault and leaving an accident scene.
(More……………)
=====================

==============

President Obama,

I am writing this letter to you regarding illegal immigrants.
*************************************************************

As a tax paying, law abiding citizen of the United States, I WANT my voice heard on this issue. My son, Sergeant Brandon Mendoza, an officer who was with the City of Mesa, Arizona police department, was killed in a tragic head on collision on May 12, 2014 by a wrong way driver on our freeways. This man happened to be an illegal immigrant, was in this country illegally, convicted of previous crimes, no Social Security number, no valid driver’s license BUT he had purchased a vehicle and registered it to drive in Maricopa County Arizona.

I had my son’s life STOLEN from me by a man who didn’t value his life, was 3X the legal limit drunk, was high on Meth, drove for over 35 miles THE WRONG WAY on 4 different freeways and had NO BUSINESS BEING IN THIS COUNTRY!!!

The Federal Government knew he, Raul Silva Corona , was an illegal immigrant when he was convicted on crimes in 1994 in Colorado. The prosecutors were “lenient” on him and several charges were dismissed. When he was convicted of these crimes and 1994 and the government knew he was in the country illegally, why wasn’t he deported? Why are any of these illegal criminals in this country ??

I am furious that the Federal Government allowed this criminal to stay in this country and KILL my son! I have attached several articles for you to PERSONALLY read about my son. He was an Icon with the City of Mesa Police Department. He was instrumental in making life better for people of all walks of life in the park project he took on. He was humble, selfless, worked many hours off the clock helping disadvantaged children and often used his own money to do things for the community, including “adopting” children at Christmas to provide them with gifts….out of his own money!!

I have attached numerous articles for you to read about my son. This was not a life that should have been taken so early. The good he was doing in our community is remarkable, the difference he made in people’s lives is amazing and the comfort he brought people in friendship was unmeasurable.

All you have to do is Google ” Sgt/Officer Brandon Mendoza” and you will have plenty of reading material about my wonderful son who had just passed his Sergeant’s exam to become a Sgt. The Chief of Police posthumously promoted him during the week of his funeral but that highlight of his life was stolen from him!!! He was officer of the year last year. Officer of the quarter for the first quarter of 2014. He was only 32 years old and had done more in his life than most of us have done in a lifetime!

I am going to have my voice heard and I want to you to know what my personal feeling is on whether CRIMINAL ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS should be allowed in this country. I have been DIRECTLY affected by this. I am sure if your life had been affected like mine has been, you would have a different view of this situation. I have lived in Arizona most of my life. My son, Brandon Mendoza, was half Hispanic. It’s not the color of skin that my son or I see, it’s the person and how they conduct their lives. If you can’t enter this country legally then you shouldn’t be here. If you commit crimes, you should pay the time any of us as US Citizens would have to serve. Letting these illegal criminals out of our jails before their time is served and turning them loose on the streets to commit further crimes and KILL our loved ones is NOT ACCEPTABLE TO ME!! AND it shouldn’t be acceptable to any US Citizen. Mr. President, you don’t have the right to make this decision yourself……I have a say, even if it is for one moment. Maybe that one moment will light a spark with another citizen who can then light a candle, who can then light a bonfire, who can then light a city up and so on. My light has just been lit and I am not going to back down when so many of these illegal immigrants have more rights than we do. My son’s death will not be ignored as another statistic.

I want laws to change that would not allow illegal immigrants to purchase vehicles in our country and register them to drive them in our states WITHOUT having driver’s licenses to drive them legally. How is this happening??? I want laws changed that will force the removal of illegal immigrants who break our laws. This man, this repeated law breaker, was allowed to be released and he continued breaking the laws in our country until what???? UNTIL HE WAS STOPPED BY MY SON IN A HEAD ON COLLISION THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED!!!! HE KILLED AN OFFICER OF THE LAW AS HIS LAST ACT!!! When are you going to see the flip side to this issue? When will you realize the hurt and pain and destruction these illegal immigrants who break the law will continue to cause???? Until you live in a state that deals with this on a daily basis, you will not understand it.

I want answers that make sense. I want answers from you personally as to why this criminal was allowed to stay in our country until he took my son’s life.

Sincerely,

Mary Ann Mendoza

canopfor on July 13, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Good night Hot Air. More work in the am…
Doc Holliday on July 13, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Doc Holliday: Pifff (Kidding) I wish,…Nights once agains Peeps:)

canopfor on July 13, 2014 at 1:12 AM

Seriously. I have to go swimming. It’s time. This **** has to change.

The World’s Most Spectacular Swimming Pools (Photo Essay)

Rewind: 02 June 2013

*sip*

Love you, everything.

<–AFK. No idea where I'm going, but there's no reason to be late.

Axe on July 13, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Lynyrd Skynyrd – Simple Man

And on that note, I bid Friends and Lurkers niters and sleep well!

[those with bar keys, y'all know what to do... ;-)]

[sends out round of Whatchudrinkin's...enters under "Midnight at the Oasis"...]

Newtie and the Beauty on July 13, 2014 at 1:20 AM

.…..nighty, Beauty!…….

williamg on July 13, 2014 at 1:21 AM

The World’s Most Spectacular Swimming Pools (Photo Essay)

Axe on July 13, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Beautiful. Now I will prolly wet the bed dreaming about those pools

Parmenides on July 13, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Remember this one..:):)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Still one of the best shows on tv!!!

lovingmyUSA on July 13, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Night to those going out the door….enjoy the moonlight

lovingmyUSA on July 13, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Parmenides on July 13, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Remember this pool..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 1:39 AM

lovingmyUSA on July 13, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Yes it was\is..Classic..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Well, it’s time to sing goodnight…last soccer game tomorrow. It’s been great seeing ya’ll tonight, and thanks for paging me…wouldn’t have wanted to miss it!

lovingmyUSA on July 13, 2014 at 1:45 AM

lovingmyUSA on July 13, 2014 at 1:45 AM

God Bless ya T…

OmahaConservative on July 13, 2014 at 1:47 AM

Can Rick Perry be trusted on the amnesty issue?

What does tha’safsctjack say? What about Mark Krikorian?

bluegill on July 13, 2014 at 1:53 AM

And it has been decided that production on Bluegill TV will start up again.

bluegill on July 13, 2014 at 1:55 AM

lovingmyUSA on July 13, 2014 at 1:45 AM

Enjoyed it as always..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2014 at 1:56 AM

And it has been decided that production on Bluegill TV will start up again.

bluegill on July 13, 2014 at 1:55 AM

What is this project? Bluegill TV?

Axe on July 13, 2014 at 2:01 AM

Fleetwood Mac – Dreams

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 2:02 AM

What is this project? Bluegill TV?
Axe on July 13, 2014 at 2:01 AM

I can neither confirm nor deny any rumors of what it is or isn’t. I can only say that additional info will be forthcoming. That’s all I’m at liberty to say at this time. Wish I could share more.

bluegill on July 13, 2014 at 2:04 AM

I feel like we need to get behind someone who is believably strong against amnesty. NO JEB BUSH OR CHRISTIE allies.

bluegill on July 13, 2014 at 2:05 AM

Good night. It just got ridiculous in here…

OmahaConservative on July 13, 2014 at 2:06 AM

bluegill on July 13, 2014 at 2:04 AM

You are more than a fool, Hagfish…

OmahaConservative on July 13, 2014 at 2:07 AM

I wish you all a wonderful night.

Stay informed. Stay motivated. And keep up the fight!

Until next time!

bluegill on July 13, 2014 at 2:13 AM

I pains me to write this comment because I had just been getting re-excited about Perry.

He seems to be speaking really well, appearing strong, with his “oops” moment fading, and I really like his plan to “take a wrecking ball to the Washington DC establishment,” and stand up boldly for traditional marriage, among other things.

And about his amnesty problems in the 2012 election? I was thinking earlier that he got a bum wrap, that he really is actually for e-verify and a secure border and strongly against amnesty now. But then I got this comment from sharrukin that was a bit rattling. It turns out I didn’t know that Rick Perry said this:

The truth is, I am intrigued and open to the Bush administration’s amnesty proposal. Most Texans would agree that it’s better to have legal, taxpaying immigrants from Mexico working in the United States than illegal immigrants living in fear of the law and afraid to access basic services.

The truth is I am intrigued and open to a Perry candidacy. But, though I’m not so much concerned about his in state tuition flap, I am troubled by Perry’s apparent affinity for Bush’s despised and rejected amnesty proposal. Perry supporters may say that he voiced his “openness” for amnesty a while ago, but it’s imperative that Perry make his “current” anti-amnesty position as clear as day if he is going to catch fire and unify the party. Otherwise, I see him falling flat again.

And let’s look at some others that were for amnesty, and then for electoral reasons said they were against it. J McCain. We know that story. Romney. A 2005 youtube shows Romney being all for amnesty, then he got “severely conservative” about it. Now Romney is passionately and predictably for amnesty again: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/05/30/Mitt-Romney-Not-Healthy-Congress-Hasn-t-Passed-Amnesty

So, I hope Perry tries to spell out his opposition to amnesty, but how are we going to trust him considering his history and the history of others on that issue? Indeed Perry needs to find a way to address in some way all the issues raised in the keatingdesk post (link above).

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 2:21 AM

. . . would pay cash American to see this.

Axe on July 13, 2014 at 2:24 AM

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 2:21 AM

It’s hard to know who we can trust. I like Scott Walker, but not sure about his views on amnesty.

Another thing about Perry was his EO over that vaccine. That was a really bad move. Glad it was overturned.

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 2:26 AM

Despite the LAT (and why would anyone still be reading them? Are they EVER right and truthful in reporting anymore?) claims, it is part of American history for people to make political comebacks. Jefferson and Jackson lost their first tries for the White House. Lincoln lost to Douglas for an Illinois Senate seat two years before he beat him for the Presidency.

~~

Their own stupid paper gloated over Nixon’s “You won’t have Dick Nixon to kick around anymore” and he was back on top just one election after the Goldwater blowout.

Clinton was thrown out of the Governor’s office in Arkansas, and later almost derailed in his 1992 White House bid, claiming the title of “The Comeback Kid.”

~~

Candidates who won the GOP nomination on their SECOND TRY: Reagan, G.H.W. Bush, Dole, McCain. Is the LAT dumb, or what?

~~

Perry might the only politician who could get a reasonable immigration reform package passed because he recognizes that enforcement measures MUST come first and be shown to be effective.

Adjoran on July 13, 2014 at 2:26 AM

And by the way it just really despicable what Romney has done on amnesty. Here’s a man that used amnesty as a means to falsely appear to be a “severe conservative” (lol on that idiocy) and to cudgel his opponents to steal the nomination really. Now, from breitbart, these are Romney’s own words, insane:

On Friday, failed 2012 GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney said it wasn’t healthy that Congress has not passed amnesty legislation that the Congressional Budget Office determined would lower the wages of American workers.
“I do believe it’s important for us, before the presidential contest in 2016, to finally have immigration reform in place,” Romney said, according to The Des Moines Register’s Jennifer Jacobs. “I just don’t think it’s healthy for the country to continue to have this issue open and unresolved, particularly with so many families that are waiting for the answers.”

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 2:28 AM

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 2:28 AM

And the GOPe wants him in 2016? Either him or Jeb or Christie. Simply ridiculous.

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 2:35 AM

Adjoran on July 13, 2014 at 2:26 AM

Maybe so. But here’s one thing that has to be clear: NO contingent amnesty.

In other words, lets not have a bill that says (paraphrased) “first we implement border security etc, and if in 3 years that is implemented, then we give amnesty.” No. Wrong. No IFs. We get a bill that secures the border and implements e-verify (perhaps this is even more important than securing the border actually), and after that stuff has been effectively in effect for 3 to 5 years or so, then we could start considering amnesty. That’s the best we can offer. Rand Paul and others that wants to tie amnesty right into a bill today, that’s just not going to fly. I hope Perry will spell it out that that is his position now as well.

And btw remember that the 1986 bill had contingent amnesty, but for some reason the amnesty was granted despite those contingencies (as border security) not being met. Scr*w that this time. “Fool me once,” or whatever that saying is.

Hi cat_owner!

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 2:49 AM

You are more than a fool, Hagfish…

OmahaConservative on July 13, 2014 at 2:07 AM

New York Dolls – Trash

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 2:54 AM

And the GOPe wants him [Romney] in 2016? Either him or Jeb or Christie. Simply ridiculous.

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 2:35 AM

In some ways I’m starting to hope that the double-talking two-timing Romney runs. Because he would just take an immense amount of flak. He’d have to wear a triple super flak jacket because the guns would just be trained day and night ripping away. Romney would eventually go down. But it would take a lot of ammo though. The good thing is that Romney would steal the oxygen that perhaps could fuel another rino campaign by the likes of the gun-controlling climate change pushing amnesty shill Christie. And it would be really satisfying to see Romney get it good. So, yeah, Romney, make my day, RUN!

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 3:00 AM

Hi cat_owner!

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Hi Joe!

I get the feeling Romney won’t run. He’s said he has no intentions of doing so. I know lots of times people say that, but suspect he means it. He’s not that young any longer, and possibly his wife’s health is a consideration.

Just my wild guess.

I’m afraid there will be multiple conservatives running to split the vote. Mark Levin says we need to form a consensus early, but how do we do that?

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 3:03 AM

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Well, remember Perry rose quickly last time to become the consensus conservative candidate. I mean he jetted up to like 40% in the polls in a period of weeks, and that was in, what, July of 2011? People were thrilled, including me. We were going to have a blockbuster candidate that we could get excited about and win this thing. And Romney, we weren’t going to get stuck with that loser!!

But then…

Then people started to wonder about Perry’s speaking and debating abilities as his debate performances weren’t stellar. Then there was the “heartless” comment. Yet a lot of people held on to the hope that it could still be Perry. Then the stories about “La Raza Rick” started to rise into a fever pitch. And Perry was starting to seriously fall. Then: oops, and Perry was done.

So, if Perry can deal with the immigration questions in a comprehensive way (no pun intended) and keep talking competently, maybe he could rise again as the consensus conservative. If not, Cruz? Who knows.

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 3:31 AM

New York Dolls – Trash

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 2:54 AM

You are like the MSNBC to my Fox News. Spending so much time attacking me (it’s an obsession) but most of the time I just ignore you and go about my business.

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 3:31 AM

You are exactly where I’m at. Everything you have said makes sense.

I also worry about Perry’s communication abilities. But maybe he will surprise us.

If Cruz runs, it would be great if we could unite behind him early. Cruz can really turn up the drama and passion in speeches. You guys should see the video of him speaking to a mostly black audience of likely former Obama voters, where he got them all cheering and pumped while speaking about school choice. This guy is a man of uncommon talent. At least we wouldn’t have to worry whole listening to him speak, wondering if he will finish the sentence without a stumble, as I do sometimes with Perry.

bluegill on July 13, 2014 at 3:41 AM

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 3:31 AM

Well those are good points. I remember being excited about Perry too. He seemed like the best candidate.

Then the stories about the vaccine came out. I do think he learned from that mistake though.

And the “heartless” comment was the worst. He was terrible in the debates, but I think that had to do with medication he was taking at the time after recent back surgery.

You are absolutely right about the immigration/amnesty points. He’s GOT to be VERY clear about it. If so, he may be the front runner early.

I do think a lot of people prefer a governor. But certainly not Jeb or Christie.

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 3:52 AM

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 2:54 AM

bluegill on July 13, 2014 at 3:41 AM

That guy attacked me too, viciously. Without any provocation, I was just discussing an issue, and he didn’t agree with me. And I’ve seen him attack others in other threads too, in the same vicious way, just because they don’t agree with him. I know the hotair policy says that predatory commenters are not to be condoned.

And that’s a real good point about Cruz. I know he is a star debater, and you have given a good answer to the question of whether he has sufficient “magnetism” or whatever. He looks really promising.

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 3:55 AM

bluegill on July 13, 2014 at 3:41 AM

I don’t understand the personal attacks here. Doesn’t seem like something conservatives would do.

We can disagree, but should not make things personal in my opinion.

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 4:03 AM

Global warming hits the Pacific Northwest. Could be as high as 90 for the next few days.

Hardly anyone has air conditioning, because we don’t normally need it.

So air conditioned restaurants, bars, malls, etc could be seeing some extra customers for awhile.

cat_owner on July 12, 2014 at 10:43 PM

I’m home in Seattle for a week – first time in over 3 years. Took a walk around Pioneer Square and the waterfront. It was warm, but didn’t feel as bad as I’m used to in Shanghai with its higher humidity.

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 4:08 AM

(unprocessed jpegs straight out of the camera. I’ll clean up the lighting, etc., when I get back to Shanghai)

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 4:09 AM

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Absolutely.

It has to be a multi-stage process over several years, with new bills being approved ONLY after the previous stage is successfully implemented.

~~

The FIRST stage is enforcement, which must include all of the following: border security, including fencing where practical, revision of existing practices to expedite return/deportation of those apprehended at the border or for committing crimes on the interior, e-Verify on all employment, and visa tracking of student, tourist, and work visas to ensure the holders leave when their visa expires (we are the only major industrial nation that does not already).

If aggressively instituted, these reforms could be in place and working in two years or less.

~~

Once a proper enforcement regime is working, a system of guest worker visas will be considered for those here illegally who have not committed other serious crimes while here. No “path to citizenship” other than the existing process is included, just legalization provided they comply with all laws going forward and register/renew their permit as required. At least we will get these people paying taxes and on the books for things like car insurance, health reporting, etc.

~~

If that program is successful in bringing illegals out of the shadows, then and only then can things like the “Dream Act” or other special paths to citizenship be considered – BUT it should be made clear from the start that eligibility for any such programs will be limited and those who came forward earliest will be served first.

~~

It is also necessary to end “chain” immigration by which every resident alien may bring family members including uncles and cousins along later. And we need to balance immigration by giving priority to those with needed skills and the ability to support themselves without government assistance for at least five years (or have a sponsor to do so, as used to be required).

Also, our annual quotas should be flexible enough to be tightened at times of high domestic unemployment and relaxed if labor shortages threaten. But the triggers must be specified in law, because we will eventually have another lawless Democrat President.

Adjoran on July 13, 2014 at 4:16 AM

We can disagree, but should not make things personal in my opinion.

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 4:03 AM

Exactly. Unfortunately there is going to be some disagreement sometimes, because there are a number of issues with kind of sharp edges where conservatives from different backgrounds or geographies or personalities approach differently. Civil discourse should be a prerequisite to commenting on this form, because unfortunately all the gratuitous profanity and insults makes the comment section look sometimes like a ugly graffiti marred landscape. It’s not pretty, or pleasant.

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 4:23 AM

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 4:23 AM

There is no need for name calling or attacking someone personally. I agree that keeping things civil should be part of participating on any forum.

Disagreement should be expected, particularly on a political site. However, there is no need to be mean about it.

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 4:37 AM

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 4:37 AM

SILENCE, WOMAN!

Axe on July 13, 2014 at 4:40 AM

Adjoran on July 13, 2014 at 4:16 AM

Outstanding description of what immigration reform should be. If I were you I’d keep your text and repeat in other posts where helpful. And as far as the time frames, I’d want to allow enough time for a lot of the illegals to .. clear out. To leave. With effective e-verify but with provision for some number of worker permits there will be many that stay, but many that just go.. home. Not the end of the world. And it won’t “devastate our economy.” We got plenty of unemployed citizens or part-timers that are willing to work, and at worst wages would go up a little bit (not doomsday, unless you are a Chamber of Commerce shill). And as you suggest there would be flexibility built in so that if there was a dire need for more workers than permits could be granted. It seems straightforward and desirable, let’s do it. I definitely hope that you will keep pushing your program, Adjoran.

Adjoran, you seem to be for Perry, right? Is your program what Perry would be for? Or not.

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 4:44 AM

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 4:44 AM

What do you think of Scott Walker?

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 4:47 AM

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Did I miss anything?

crankyoldlady on July 13, 2014 at 4:54 AM

crankyoldlady on July 13, 2014 at 4:54 AM

Good morning COL. I actually have not been to bed yet on the left coast, but heading that way soon.

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 5:05 AM

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Did I miss anything?

crankyoldlady on July 13, 2014 at 4:54 AM

Yeah! You missed my 18 comments on this page!

What do you think of Scott Walker?

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 4:47 AM

Got to love somebody that stands up to the public unions, except for in the Christie case that’s the only conservative thing he’s known for. But Walker just hasn’t got my attention much. I haven’t seen a lot of him. All I know is that, based on a casual interview, he appears to be for “a path to citizenship.” Maybe he can smooth his “amnesty gaffe” over. I think I asked you for your opinion of Walker on another thread. And you said you like him, and that maybe the amnesty stuff is not central, something like that. So I’ll wait and see if his persona expands beyond Wisconsin.

But, excuse me in advance, expect me to keep hitting Walker on amnesty, until he deals with it in a coherent acceptable way. Because if we don’t go after those that profess a desire for amnesty then more and more R politicians may drift toward taking that position themselves. Or, Boehner et al will think that we don’t care anymore, and.. pass amnesty all of a sudden in the dead of night.

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 5:15 AM

I’ve had one of those horrible times
You know what I mean…
So here I sat this late night
And turned on my screen.

I come to see all my HA friends
Who know just what to say
To make me laugh and cry
And so my troubles fade away.

My HA friends you’re always here
And though we’ve never met
I know our times are special
We think alike and care.

We really haven’t been friends that long
And in this special time it seems
We shared so many things already
Our hopes, our fears, our dreams.

We come from different walks of life
And we share a common bond
And it’s time to say that of all of you
I’ve grown so very fond…

Whenever I’ve needed some cheer
I know you’re always here,
You all make HA so special!

Take Care and God Bless You All!!

{{Pass this on}} Thank You!!

***POP***

Scrumpy on July 13, 2014 at 5:19 AM

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 5:15 AM

Oh, fair enough. I totally agree with you on that point actually. It’s one reason I asked what you think of Walker.

He’s been good for the Wisconsin economy. And I do believe we need to give governors of blue states a bit of a break.

But the amnesty issue is crucial, particularly with the border invasion happening now.

Thanks for responding. It’s certainly not too early to be checking these people out as potential candidates.

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 5:20 AM

I’ll close with this. Dear Leader refers to himself 199 times in one speech.

In President Obama’s speech, he used a first person singular, on average, every 12 seconds. At that rate, had Obama spoken for just 15 more minutes, he would have used the first person singular more than 272 times in one speech—exceeding all the words in the Gettysburg Address.

In one 68-word passage–in which he vowed to act unilaterally if Congress did not enact legislation he liked–Obama used the first person singular five more times than the zero times Lincoln used it in his 272 words at Gettysburg.

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 5:28 AM

bluegill on July 13, 2014 at 3:41 AM

No matter what you deny, or say about me, the evidence about you speaks for itself. You’re a malicious, narcissistic liar. This means you are trash. =)

That guy attacked me too, viciously. Without any provocation. I was just discussing an issue, and he didn’t agree with me.

This is a total misrepresentation, a lie. You were going off-topic there, I criticized you for it (as did others, I should add,) and you couldn’t take it. It escalated some after that. =)

You have no problem calling politicians names, and questioning their sincerity, but you whine like a big baby when the table is turned on you, hypocrite.

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 3:55 AM

You like to lie about others, like bluegill. No wonder you decided to lean on “her” for sympathy lol

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 5:33 AM

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 5:33 AM

A little bitter, aren’t you.

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 5:37 AM

Walker isn’t afraid to stand up to the bad guys. That is what makes him valuable. He can’t be bullied.

crankyoldlady on July 13, 2014 at 5:43 AM

We can disagree, but should not make things personal in my opinion.

cat_owner on July 13, 2014 at 4:03 AM

I have an understanding. =)

Not only do I not have problems with everyone I disagree with here, I don’t have problems with most. The natural question is, why do I have problems only with some I disagree with, not all? I can answer this very, very well. And the people who have problems with me when we disagree not only cannot give a straight answer as to why, they aren’t even interested in making an honest attempt to answer it.

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 5:44 AM

A little bitter, aren’t you.

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 5:37 AM

You’re delusional, and you’re projecting, which is totally expected from someone like you who misrepresents others without shame. =)

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 5:46 AM

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 5:44 AM

We’re all ears…

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 5:47 AM

We’re all ears…

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 5:47 AM

Too bad for you I’m not interested in explaining myself to lying trolls like you. =)

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 5:52 AM

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 5:52 AM

Of course not.

But wouldn’t you like to explain it to the much wider audience that see your posts and empathize with your struggle? =)

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 5:56 AM

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 5:56 AM

You naturally presume what motivates you also must motivate me, so you think I need empathy from others about my “struggle,” which makes me laugh at you because it’s such a stupid, dorky premise. =) But, I’m not like you. Your juvenile, transparent trolling doesn’t provoke me like you hope, and as we know, you are too stupid to understand this, which is why you keep trying, failure after failure.

bluegill is massively despised around here, I’m not. If you were smarter, you sincerely investigate why someone like me is not nearly as unpopular as “she” is.

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:09 AM

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:09 AM

bluegill had a head-start on you, but you seem to be catching up fast.

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:11 AM

bluegill had a head-start on you, but you seem to be catching up fast.

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:11 AM

Who here do think would listen to this, and buy it? lol You show you’re a pathetic, ill-willed person for even trying.

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:16 AM

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:16 AM

Can’t you think of any? Perhaps a couple other than me that you replied to within the last hour?

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:19 AM

We have rain moving in but it doesn’t look like much.

crankyoldlady on July 13, 2014 at 6:20 AM

We have rain moving in but it doesn’t look like much.

crankyoldlady on July 13, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Nice clear skies here in Seattle. What region are you in, if I may ask?

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:23 AM

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:11 AM

Anyway, like clockwork, you avoided diving into my valid point. =)

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:09 AM

And your avoidance nicely ties in with a previous point I made about people like you

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 5:44 AM

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:24 AM

Ukraine/Rooski FlashPoint Sumpins:

Ukraine, Russia political crisis

28s
Russia calls cross-border shelling an ‘aggressive act’ by Ukraine against sovereign Russian territory and Russian citizens – @Reuters

Ukraine, Russia political crisis

32m
Russia warns Kiev of ‘irreversible consequences’ after cross-border casualty – @AFP
======================

Gaza, PS
11m
Israeli security cabinet is convening in Tel Aviv to discuss operation in Gaza – @BarakRavid

Israeli-Palestinian conflict
1h
Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu says ‘We don’t know when operation will end; it might take a long time’ – @haaretzcom
Read more on haaretz.com
========================

The Associated Press @AP · 46m

Massachusetts Sen. Warren becoming prized campaigner as Democrats hope to keep Senate control: http://apne.ws/U1kl8M

Iran nuclear program talks
54m
John Kerry says there are still significant gaps between Iran and 6 powers in ongoing nuclear talks, wants to see if progress is possible – @Reuters

canopfor on July 13, 2014 at 6:25 AM

We have rain moving in but it doesn’t look like much.

crankyoldlady on July 13, 2014 at 6:20 AM

COL: Good Morning:0

canopfor on July 13, 2014 at 6:26 AM

Matt Lee @APDiploWriter · 22h

“So, as I was saying, Nikita …” “@KiritRadia: Caption contest: Castro and Putin in Havana pic.twitter.com/gKuADcrweu”

canopfor on July 13, 2014 at 6:28 AM

Anyway, like clockwork, you avoided diving into my valid point. =)

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:24 AM

I addressed it as directly as politely possible.

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:29 AM

Now the French are stepping into it:

Gaza, PS

1m
French Foreign Minister Fabius says securing a ceasefire for the Gaza Strip and preventing an escalation is a top priority for France – @Reuters
=================

canopfor on July 13, 2014 at 6:30 AM

Hi Canopfor and thanks for the updates. Sometimes this place feels like trying to have a sensible conversation in a room full of people yelling at each other.

crankyoldlady on July 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:19 AM

You know we were all having a pleasant discussion, and non-nonpartisan comes in puts the chill on that by simply attacking everybody in sight. It’s really not pleasant. Does Ed or anyone moderate these pages for predatory commenters?

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM

crankyoldlady on July 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM

WHAT?

Axe on July 13, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Good morning y’all

cmsinaz on July 13, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Does Ed or anyone moderate these pages for predatory commenters?

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM

I guess they do what they can, but I doubt Ed or AP have the time to wade through all of QOTD everyday.

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM

WHAT?

Axe on July 13, 2014 at 6:37 AM

HUH!

crankyoldlady on July 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM

I addressed it as directly as politely possible.

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:29 AM

This is a lie, from an uncreative liar.

Let’s examine how the conversation proceeded.

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:09 AM

Look at your response.

bluegill had a head-start on you, but you seem to be catching up fast.

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:11 AM

Like a good little troll, you chose to ignore my effort to get at what’s behind bluegill’s massive unpopularity, and tried to make the focus on me.

So, why don’t you stop being a coward, and tell us exactly why you think bluegill is so despised around here, and I’m not?

If you don’t try to answer this honestly and directly, expect to be ignored by me. I don’t waste my time on people who refuse to talk straight. =)

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:39 AM

WHAT?

Axe on July 13, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Shouldn’t you be in bed young man?

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:39 AM

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM

You never stop whining, do you? lol It’s really pathetic how thin your skin is. =)

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Shouldn’t you be in bed young man?

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:39 AM

NO, I LIKE GIRLS

Good morning y’all

cmsinaz on July 13, 2014 at 6:37 AM

WHO? SAY AGAIN?

Axe on July 13, 2014 at 6:44 AM

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 5:44 AM

We’re all ears…

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 5:47 AM

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 5:52 AM

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:39 AM

There you have it.

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:44 AM

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM

Well how do you report a thread to the higher ups? I was looking around for the “Contact” link but I can’t see it. This is really pretty extreme as far as uncalled for insulting behavior. And it has to violate the hotair rules. If it doesn’t, I’m shocked.

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Shouldn’t you be in bed young man?

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:39 AM

Actually, I was writing a poem. :) That moon was not to be wasted.

6264 is a really interesting feature. And 6376 is really interesting. I’m not sure why. It’s just a busy little scene, and all the busy is interesting.

You’re still pure evil, though.

Axe on July 13, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Hi Axe
Your friendly neighbor from the southwest

cmsinaz on July 13, 2014 at 6:48 AM

There you have it.

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Yes, there it is. Like a baby, you don’t want to give a straight response to this-you’d rather attack me, troll lol

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:39 AM

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:49 AM

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 6:46 AM

How stupid are you? Would I have even talked about you in this thread if you hadn’t brought me up in the first place? You are the biggest whiner I’ve ever seen on this site. =)

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 6:51 AM

Good morning y’all

cmsinaz on July 13, 2014 at 6:37 AM

cmsinaz: Good Morning. Boyo, is that Mother from your State,
P*ssed Off with Hopey:)

Mary Ann Mendoza

canopfor on July 13, 2014 at 6:53 AM

Actually, I was writing a poem. :) That moon was not to be wasted.

You’re still pure evil, though.

Axe on July 13, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Unfortunately the ecliptic cuts through tall trees at this time of year here, so only got a brief view of it between fir branches.

Only 99.9983% pure. Not even quite 6-sixma grade ;)

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:55 AM

anotherJoe on July 13, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Not sure, but probably not worth the time anyway.

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Yowzer canopfor
You’re not kidding

cmsinaz on July 13, 2014 at 6:58 AM

It’s nice to see Axe here in the am and, of course, cms. I tried to email g2m but he has trouble getting emails.

This is national french fry day.

crankyoldlady on July 13, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Hi Axe
Your friendly neighbor from the southwest

cmsinaz on July 13, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Mornin’. :)

Um, there was a full moon. That’s really the only explanation I can give for . . . some of this.

I hope your day both rocks and rolls. :)

And I hope it doesn’t twerk. That’s going too far.

Axe on July 13, 2014 at 7:02 AM

Not sure, but probably not worth the time anyway.

DarkCurrent on July 13, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. This person still is in good standing here lmao

Now that I introduce myself. Let me say what I am here for.

F%#ck You!!!!
F%#ck You!!!!
F%#ck You!!!!
F%#ck You!!!!
F%#ck You!!!!
F%#ck You!!!!
F%#ck You!!!!
F%#ck You!!!!

Ok. bye now!

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

non-nonpartisan on July 13, 2014 at 7:04 AM

This is national french fry day.

crankyoldlady on July 13, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Nice thing to say. :) Not very cranky, though.

Axe on July 13, 2014 at 7:05 AM