Video: Megyn Kelly vs. Nancy Pelosi on the Hobby Lobby ruling

posted at 4:41 pm on July 11, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the IJR, Kelly doesn’t do fact-check segments like this as a matter of routine, does she? What you’re seeing here, I think, is an eruption of singular frustration that’s been building for weeks as Democrats try to one-up each other on the most hysterical, self-serving interpretation of the Hobby Lobby ruling. Everyone understands they’re going to demagogue the decision, ignoring the religious freedom element and reducing it to the crudest possible identity-politics pageantry, and everyone understands why. That’s their GOTV script for the midterms, with only rare deviations from liberal commentators.

But this distortion was one straw too many:

“We should be afraid of this court. That five guys should start determining what contraceptions are legal or not. … It is so stunning,” Pelosi said during a press briefing in the Capitol.Pelosi said last week’s Supreme Court ruling that the birth control mandate under President Obama’s healthcare reform law is a violation of religious freedom was particularly egregious.

“That court decision was a frightening one,” she said. “That five men should get down to the specifics of whether a woman should use a diaphragm and she should pay for it herself or her boss. It’s not her boss’s business. His business is whatever his business is. But it’s not what contraception she uses.”

I’m trying to block out what I know about the case and imagine what I would have assumed had happened if my only source of info on it was this shpiel from Pelosi. If, a la many hard-working voters, my only news consumption each day was 10 minutes during the dinner hour and this clip had suddenly appeared on my TV, what would I understand the Supreme Court’s ruling to be? I think I’d think they had banned birth control, or at least certain forms of it, and that employers had now somehow assumed the power to bar a worker from buying legal contraception that he/she could otherwise afford. That formulation of the court’s ruling is like the end of a 100-person game of “Telephone” that starts with the actual ruling. Over to you, Megyn.

Exit question: If your birth control isn’t your boss’s business, why are you asking your boss to pay for it?

Comments

At least you used a pic of Megan instead of Nutty Nan, AP. Whew.

Bitter Clinger on July 11, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Ding, Ding, Ding….

Athos on July 11, 2014 at 4:44 PM

And the problem is that for way too many people, that’s exactly how they ‘know’ what’s going on – from the utterly false (whether intentionally or by simply stupidity) info they get in those little sound bites.

Midas on July 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Video: Megyn Kelly vs. Nancy Pelosi on the Hobby Lobby ruling

Is this a reboot of “Beauty and The Beast”?

PolAgnostic on July 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM

We should be afraid that people continue to reelect you. That’s frightening.

pc253 on July 11, 2014 at 4:47 PM

STOP ASKING MY V@GINA TO EXPLAIN ITSLF 2U!!!

Axe on July 11, 2014 at 4:47 PM

You tell ‘er Megyn!

Wing Chun Man on July 11, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Setting aside the fact that all of the SCOTUS members look like men, they aren’t, actually, men… are they? Do we need to call Crocodile Dundee in for a quick gender check?

IndieDogg on July 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Because of the 17 1/2th amendment to the Declaration of Independence, that’s why!

Bishop on July 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM

If bosses determine conception, then they also determine whether or not employees eat, have homes, have cars, have clothes, have cell phones, have cable, and on and on.

If I refuse to buy you lunch, am I denying you access to food?

If I refuse to pay your mortgage, am I denying you shelter?

If I refuse to pay for your parking, am I denying you the means of getting to work?

Missy on July 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Dear Nancy,

You have to pass it to find out what’s in it.

What was in it was a passage that was unconstitutional. You passed a lousy law, because you and the rest of the clowns didn’t read it.

You had to have the Supremes read it to you.

Your reading comprehension is still spotty.

Wander on July 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Better exist question: if your birth control isn’t your boss’s business, why are you asking your boss’s business to pay for it.

Immolate on July 11, 2014 at 4:51 PM

…assuming Pelosi meant any 5 guys… never mind, seemed like a good chance to get Crocodile Dundee into a thread. The openings are few and far between. And it’s Friday.

IndieDogg on July 11, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Liberals aren’t listening. They’re trying desperately to stoke up hatred and victimhood. They are pathetic.

John the Libertarian on July 11, 2014 at 4:52 PM

That is EXACTLY what I yelled at the TV last night when I saw this.

If birth control isn’t your bosses business, then they shouldn’t be paying for it!

Best quote for this type of piece, “Keep your damn uterus out of my wallet!”

Meople on July 11, 2014 at 4:52 PM

#BanTheMullet

faraway on July 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM

If I refuse to buy you lunch, am I denying you access to food?

If I refuse to pay your mortgage, am I denying you shelter?

Missy on July 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Yes, yes, and yes /libstupidordie, /verbaldouche, /thisisyourbrainonpelosi /everdumbo

NoFanofLibs on July 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Pelosi and other democrats are simply lying about this Hobby Lobby decision. Just like they lied about Arizona’s immigration law, voter I.D. laws, etc. What’s tragic is that a certain percent will believe them.

TarheelBen on July 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Nice job, MK.

Midas on July 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM

STOP ASKING MY V@GINA TO EXPLAIN ITSLF 2U!!!

Axe on July 11, 2014 at 4:47 PM

For being friday afternoon, and it having been the worst friday in awhile your comment really cracked me up.

I needed it.

portlandon on July 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM

How did they train that raccoon to talk at a microphone like that?

CDeb on July 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Bishop on July 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Silly me, I thought it was from the Good n Plenty Clause…

in the…..Civil Rights Act, yeah that’s it!!

ToddPA on July 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Yes, that about sums up what Pelosi wants people to believe. And they are going to run with this in the midterms. Surely even low information voters aren’t quite that stupid.

And I LOVE Megyn. She really shredded Pelosi’s stupid talking points extremely well.

cat_owner on July 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Wow, Megyn is so freaking gorgeous!

Kensington on July 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

The war on women is from the left.

Leftist thugs are never liberal.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Isn’t ’5 Guys’ a hamburger chain?

WTF – why on earth are those guys having any say in women employees of Hobby Lobby’s choice of birth control?

– said more than one f*ckwit liberal listening to Pelosi lie her a$$ off

Midas on July 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM

So the Latina can’t determine… well… wait… no… I guess much of anything, then?

rogerb on July 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM

You’re talking about a class of people who have forsaken logic and rationality in favor of hysterics, every debate tactic devolves to “Because I want it, that’s why” and every opposing argument is a human rights abuse.

I hate these people with a passion, they’re all grifting, freeloading losers driving the nation into an abyss. How stupid do you have to be to fail the logic test that you’re being denied a readily available product because someone else won’t pay for it.

Bishop on July 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Silly me, I thought it was from the Good n Plenty Clause…

in the…..Civil Rights Act, yeah that’s it!!

ToddPA on July 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I never liked Good n Plenty’s – we should remove them from the Declaration of Dependence altogether and replace them with Butterfingers. You know, the bite-sized ones like at the movies – those are good.

Midas on July 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Applause!!

Well done, Megyn! John Boehner should take lessons in courage and logic from you.

Kingfisher on July 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Applause!!

Kingfisher on July 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM

His pointy little orange head would explode.

Midas on July 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM

1. It’s not their birth control; it’s someone else’s birth control. Few, if any, of those complaining about the decision are Hobby Lobby employees.

2. They’re not asking. They’re demanding.

aunursa on July 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Again, remember that when you think your life sucks, think of Mr. Pelosi

katy the mean old lady on July 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Megyn articulated that response to Piglosi better than 99% of the Republican party could do in 2 lifetimes.

Meople on July 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I noticed that, in the video, Pelosi sounds like she’s losing her voice. Could Pelosi be *ahem, servicing Bubba Clinton?

Kingfisher on July 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM

If I refuse to buy you lunch, am I denying you access to food?

If I refuse to pay your mortgage, am I denying you shelter?

Missy on July 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Sadly, that’s what we’re in store for.

leftamark on July 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM

If ONLY Patoosie had been aborted. The world would be a better place and there would a bit less corruption in DC and San Fran.

vnvet on July 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Kelly went after Pelosi’s remarks, saying “Nancy Pelosi either doesn’t know what she’s talking about, or she’s intentionally misleading you,” and called the gendered attack an “attempt to stoke resentment.”

“First of all, the gender of the justices in the Hobby Lobby majority is totally irrelevant,” Kelly said, pointing out that the justices who ruled in the majority for Roe v. Wade were also men. “Does Ms. Pelosi think those justices were ill-equipped to fairly decide that case? Or is it only when a judge disagrees with Ms. Pelosi that his gender is an issue.”

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Midas on July 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM

I never liked them either…they’re the Licorice ones, right?

But there was also the Good n Fruity ones, Oh Christ, now we
have a whole other category of defamation here!!!!

(Butterfingers are good, but I stand with my long time favorite,
Snickers)

ToddPA on July 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Peloser also said that she wants to take the illegal border kids home.

Has she?

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:06 PM

On a slightly different note, it’s truly ironic how the Obama admin. tries to destroy the integrity of the Catholic church while, at the same time, asking it for assistance in housing illegals.

Doesn’t Obama realize that those eeeeeevillll priests will preach pro-life sermons to the illegals?

Kingfisher on July 11, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Midas on July 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM

I never liked them either…they’re the Licorice ones, right?

But there was also the Good n Fruity ones, Oh Christ, now we
have a whole other category of defamation here!!!!

(Butterfingers are good, but I stand with my long time favorite,
Snickers)

ToddPA on July 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM

In the spirit of the comity of the thread, I rise to accept what shall henceforth be referred to as the Great Snicker Compromise (GSC) of 2014 as offered by my good friend from PA, and move that we strike the Good n Plenty clause, replacing it with the aforementioned GSC without delay. Oh, and send $3.7billion worth over right away, please.

Midas on July 11, 2014 at 5:09 PM

If it’s none of your boss’s business then how can you insist the federal government MAKE him pay for it is more like it.
You can’t have it both ways, missy.

In other words…wait for it…

You can’t have your vagina and eat it too.

Sefton on July 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM

God, she’s one ugly broad.

lostmotherland on February 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM

“Keep your damn uterus out of my wallet!”

Meople on July 11, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Date much?

They weren’t asking, they were demanding.

cozmo on July 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM

According to Crazy Nan (and the rest of the progressive-fascists), when the SCOTUS reaches a decision that they approve of, it’s settled law and everyone who doesn’t like needs to STFU.

Yet, when the SCOTUS reaches a decision that the sans-culottes fascists don’t approve of – it’s all about gender, race, social justice, and the need to invalidate the decision by any means possible.

That they can’t see their hypocrisy speaks volumes regarding the blinders they are wearing and their utter contempt for those who don’t think and act as they do.

Athos on July 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM

RFRA was signed by Bill Clinton in 1993.

Passed the House on May 11, 1993 (passed voice vote).

Passed the Senate 97/3.

The 3 Nays are all dead.

NAYs —3
Byrd (D-WV)
Helms (R-NC)
Mathews (D-TN)

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Peloser also said that she wants to take the illegal border kids home.

Has she?

Schadenfreude

She needs them to pick grapes, and the ones with the cleanest sneakers get to stomp the grapes!

Wander on July 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM

hey Allah!

why you given us what this screechy blonde is saying.

Sarah has an awesome piece on fox, laying the groundwork for obama’s impeachment.

Que cojones tiene esa mujer!!!!

renalin on July 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I never liked them either…they’re the Licorice ones, right?

But there was also the Good n Fruity ones, Oh Christ, now we
have a whole other category of defamation here!!!!

(Butterfingers are good, but I stand with my long time favorite,
Snickers)

ToddPA on July 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Midas on July 11, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Agreed. anyone have a problem with this?

Tough Sh*t.

ToddPA on July 11, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Pelosi is beginning to look like a walking talking dead.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Athos on July 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I wonder how many of them can’t see it, versus see it but just play this hypocrisy whichever way is needed to further the cause and frankly don’t care because most of their braindead myrmidon followers are too stupid to get it (or care).

Somewhere between evil and astoundingly stupid – all of them are on that continuum somewhere, I suppose.

Midas on July 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM

renalin on July 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Give it a break, everything doesn’t revolve around Sarah.

Barred on July 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM

portlandon on July 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Axe on July 11, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Democrat women are nothing more than voting vag1nas. I dare you to prove otherwise.

CurtZHP on July 11, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I DEMAND That YOU Pay For MY Wedding!

If marriage, engaging in consensual sexual activity as adults, using contraception, deciding whether or not to bear a child are all fundamental, individual rights, why is it that only contraception is such a serious ‘right’ that it requires other people to pay for it?

Why shouldn’t taxpayers pay for everyone elses elaborate weddings?

Why shouldn’t employers pay for prostitutes so that their employees can have ‘access’ to ‘the fundamental right of consenting adults to engage in private sexual activity’?

If I want to exercise my ‘fundamental, individual right’ to ‘engage in private sexual activity’ under the implied right of privacy, why shouldn’t one of my least favourite Progressives be made to pay for my hotel room?

Perhaps, we can even find ‘a right to make Proggie pay for anything I want or I’m going to stomp my feet, whine, and hold my breath until I turn blue’ in the ‘emanations and penumbras’ of the Bill of Rights.

Dude, this whole ‘living Constitution’ thing could be soooooo much fun – for me.

For Proggie? Not so much…because I’m extremely high maintenance.

Axe on July 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Attention all:
>Van Pool Drivers
>Train Engineers
>Pilots
>Bus Operators
>Taxis
>Donkey Owners
Please proceed (with the illegal aliens) to Marin County, CA. Nanny wants you!!! And by the way Marin is the richest County in CA. Free everything!!!

Goodie on July 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM

For those of y’all hating on Pelosi, remember this:

She is an old bitter woman, knowingly condemned by her religion to not enter the kingdom of God. Her best years are behind her. Her power is a shadow of what it once was and she cannot take her money with her

cozmo on July 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM

STOP ASKING MY V@GINA TO EXPLAIN ITSLF 2U!!!

Axe on July 11, 2014 at 4:47 PM

ROFL. Started this Friday night out on a good laugh, Axe. ;-)

lineholder on July 11, 2014 at 5:22 PM

STOP ASKING MY V@GINA TO EXPLAIN ITSLF 2U!!!

Axe on July 11, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Wait what? You gotta what? Huh? I’m telling RWM….

Doc Holliday on July 11, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Que cojones tiene esa mujer!!!!

renalin on July 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM

You can eat your cohones now.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Men have to STFU when “feminists” disagree with them.

Aizen on July 11, 2014 at 5:25 PM

You can eat your cohones cojones now.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:26 PM

1.Licorice good n plenty’s suck.
2. Megyn, oh Megyn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

bernzright777 on July 11, 2014 at 5:26 PM

cozmo on July 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM

She made it into politics by doing a lot of guys.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Megyn was EXTREEEEEEEMELY generous in her refutation against Pelosi. She should have called Pelosi either a very stupid and ignorant woman who has no business in the U.S. Congress, let alone any leadership position, or a damnable liar who is deliberately lying to the public in order to generate rebellion among the populace. That is what Megyn should have said, but she’s too much of a lady to do so, unlike the House Minority Leader biatch.

HiJack on July 11, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Give it a break, everything doesn’t revolve around Sarah.

Barred on July 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM

But the SP lovers are blind too. The thread is up.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:27 PM

It’s kind of neat how she admitted what her perceptions are about women and successful businesses.

rogerb on July 11, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Again, remember that when you think your life sucks, think of Mr. Pelosi

katy the mean old lady on July 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM

He volunteered for the job.

RickB on July 11, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Allah! It’s Nancy Pelsoi! You didn’t really expect anything intelligent to come out of her mouth, did you?

If Nancy-poo didn’t have talking points to regurgitate, she’d have nothing to say at all.

GarandFan on July 11, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Kingfisher on July 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Parkinson’s/Alzheimer’s/Senile Dementia; you can often hear it in the voice at its early stages.

There was a group of medical researchers working on a ‘voice-test’ that they hoped would detect Parkinson’s (in this case) very early.

slickwillie2001 on July 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:26 PM

you knew i’d know you were wrong.

sweeeet

renalin on July 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM

God, she’s one ugly broad.
lostmotherland on February 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM

By the way, whatever happened to lost-gerrymander-land anyway?

anuts on July 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM

March 11, 1993, HR 1308 was submitted to the House of Representatives to protect the free exercise of religion. The bill passed the House the same day and went on to the Senate. On November 3, 1993 the Senate passed this bill and sent it to President Clinton for signature. The bill was named “The Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA) of 1993. President Clinton signed it into law on November 16, 1993.

Oh, by the way, Ms. San Fran Nan Pelosi was one of the sponsors.

timberline on July 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM

you knew i’d know you were wrong.

renalin on July 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Spanish is not my first language.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM

But, renalin, you were dead wrong about AP. His write-up is pretty detailed too…no way could he have written it in response to your rant.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM

By the way, whatever happened to lost-gerrymander-land anyway?

anuts on July 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM

No idea

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM
my left brain says yes.

my right brain says no.

renalin on July 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM

The quote upthread about Liberals thinking if your boss doesn’t pay your mortgage he is denying you housing is very true… and very insightful.

Liberals want you to think that. If your boss doesn’t pay for something, then you are denied that. Because either the boss pays, or government pays, or you do. They don’t want you to think that you should pay for it.

You know, it really was true that if your boss doesn’t pay for it, you don’t get it. True for a large, large group of people. Slaves. Liberals want us all to adopt a slave mentality; wherein we have to rely on business or government to provide for us, or we don’t get it.

Vanceone on July 11, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Just issue photos of the witch pelosi and all of her baby killing friends instead of contraceptives. Seeing a picture of a liberal hag makes me sick and typically less likely to be interested in anything else.

crosshugger on July 11, 2014 at 6:11 PM

renalin on July 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Brains work very different than you think then.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 6:15 PM

They might as well have had Megyn Kelly debating Big Bird.

Actually, Big Bird would have put up a better fight.

formwiz on July 11, 2014 at 6:19 PM

It’s time for a reshuffle at Fox. Give Bret the full hour at 6 for hard news. Let Harris Faulkner run the 7 hour with CK and the others. then Megyn at 8, Martha at 9.

can_con on July 11, 2014 at 6:23 PM

rogerb on July 11, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Huh. :)

I was about to say, “she did sin, didn’t she?” but then, what’s an enlightened woman to do? If this is going to stay a uniformly “bad boy parts!” scolding, business-owner pronouns have to go back to being phallocentric and patriarchal.

I like it. It reminds me of those commercials for “Mad Men” with that hot red-head from Firefly walking around in heals and a red skirt.

*wipes forehead*

. . . thread’s taking a little turn here

Axe on July 11, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Oh, by the way, Ms. San Fran Nan Pelosi was one of the sponsors.

timberline on July 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Say it aint so!!!

Lord Whorfin on July 11, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Not loving the Megyn Mullet

myiq2xu on July 11, 2014 at 6:48 PM

You have to admit that Nanzi sure does a fine job on shaving/plucking/waxing/NoNoing/???? that goatee she has.

jukin3 on July 11, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM

lol

renalin on July 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Somebody should make that clip into an ad and run it hourly on CNN, MSLSD, and the broadcast stations. lol

Murf76 on July 11, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Ok, that was quite a brutal takedown by Megyn. Not that it’s hard given that Pelosi is weapons grade stupid.

dorkintheroad on July 11, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Megyn also expressed her dismay that the press’ lack of interest in questioning flutter brain on any of her statements.

Ufdaubet on July 11, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Perfectly summed up Megyn…

She cuts through the bs like a laser through butter.

Keep up the good work.

snoozinglion on July 11, 2014 at 8:34 PM

When did Megyn Kelly turn lesbian?

Diluculo on July 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Ufdaubet on July 11, 2014 at 8:17 PM

The liberal media handles coverups for all Democratics. Hank Johnson, Sheila Jackson-Lee, Dingy Harry, etc, etc. You can be stupid and be a Democratic, but not a Republican.

slickwillie2001 on July 11, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Pelosi is a dim bulb.
In addition to what Megyn ues to hammer her, I would add one thing. If, according to Pelosi, it’s not a man’s place to have an opinion about a woman’s birth control, I suggest it’s also not Pelosi’s place since she’s clearly past her reproductive years. She has no “standing” to speak on the matter. Maybe less so than any man, since men can reproduce until very late in life.

freedomfirst on July 11, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Bravo, Megan, Bravo. :)

Theophile on July 12, 2014 at 3:36 AM

By the way, whatever happened to lost-gerrymander-land anyway?

anuts on July 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Remedial classes is my guess.

CW on July 12, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I’d love to see Megyn debate that idiot Pelosi with her flapping hands.

tpitman on July 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Megyn that angry before. *sniff* It was beautiful.

Madcap_Magician on July 12, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Pelosi had no problem when Sebelius, with Obama’s blessing, required women to show an ID for the morning after pill. Hypocrite much?

edrebber on July 14, 2014 at 1:09 AM