Obama aims to keep Democrats happy while he coasts to 2016

posted at 9:21 am on July 11, 2014 by Noah Rothman

President Barack Obama is telegraphing rather clearly that he has given up on the presidency. It is a phenomenon that has been observable for some time. The Free Beacon’s Matthew Continetti made the compelling case that Obama embraced his post-presidency as early as June. For Obama, there remains one final headache: the midterm elections. After that, he can abandon the final flimsy pretenses designed to project the impression that he is at all interested in governing the country.

But the road to the post-presidency is peppered with speed bumps and potholes — inconveniences that Obama would much rather avoid. Nuisances arise like the first unilateral annexation of territory in one sovereign European state by another for the first time since World War II. Frustrations like the systematic effort to cover up fatal incompetency at the VA. Or bothers like a humanitarian disaster involving children on America’s southern border.

Events are such inconsiderate things.

So the president does what he can to avoid being too closely associated with these crises by only addressing them when he must and in brief, and by not taking any definitive measures to address them so as to avoid taking blame should those measures fail. The president’s true focus, the object which has kept his attention for most of his political career, is maintaining the adoration of his devotees.

Even at this delicate moment, Obama campaigns. Speaking before an audience of supporters in Texas this week, after spurning lawmakers in his own party and surely those advisors close to him concerned about the inevitable hit in the polls he would take by not seeing the border crisis for himself, the president indulged in a bit of self-pity.

“You hear some of them: ‘Sue him. Impeach him,’” Obama said of Republicans who are attempting to force the president to faithfully execute the laws passed by Congress in compliance with the oath he took.

“You’re going to use taxpayer money to sue me for doing my job while you don’t do your job,” Obama added to the screams of the ever-shrinking pool of believers.

Obama enthralled the rally attendees, and a few reporters, by quoting Martin Scorsese’s “The Departed.” “I’m the guy doing my job,” Obama said, scolding a cast of imaginary Republicans before him. “You must be the other guy.”

Cleverness; it’s why they love him. For Obama’s supporters, it is a reasonable substitute for administering the nation. Take, for example, MSNBC host Mika Brzezinski who exemplified the audience most receptive to Obama’s technique.

After making a big show of feigning confusion over the reasoning for the House lawsuit against the president, she reveled in a few of Obama’s one-liners.

Time’s Mark Halperin and MSNBC host Joe Scarborough were dumbstruck. “It’s depressing as an American,” Scarborough said.

“I don’t understand the game or the strategy,” Halperin agreed.

“I beg to differ just a bit, guys. They’re suing him,” Brzezinski interjected. “I mean, it’s ridiculous. I’m not sure what tone you want him to take.”

With that, she introduced another satisfying Obama burn.

The president’s rhetorical digs into Republicans remain a potent intoxicant for his supporters. They serve to distract from the nagging, persistent, and increasingly irresistible realization that this presidency, one which began with such promise, has failed.

And, in that moment, the MSNBC hosts stumbled upon Obama’s elusive political strategy: keep Mika, and those with a similar political outlook, happy. Ride it out until the midterms. If possible, avoid catastrophic mistakes and make no waves. Coast.

Brzezinski & Co. are perfectly satisfied with that tactic, but the country will suffer. Great problems will go unaddressed and political factionalism and discord will become the dominant features of the American political character.

These are depressing times for all but partisan Democrats, but that is what happens when the President of the United States is more enamored with his role as the head of his political party.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bishop

lineholder on July 11, 2014 at 11:08 AM

He gave up on his Presidency after the first week (remember “They let us out early”?), but, yeah, it’s gonna be a long 2 1/2 years and Choomie’s gonna be reminded every day of how big a failure he is.

Which is not how his life has been up to now.

He may even have to grow up a little.

PS Noah, the Demos are anything but happy. Scared to death, sure; suddenly realizing the frightening sort of sociopath they’ve supported, probably, but happy?

formwiz on July 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Unless and until some patriots with ballz come to the fore, I believe you are correct…

bimmcorp on July 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM

My only caveat is that if the damage is too great for the statists to keep power, they will allow a GOP puppet to take the helm (and all the blame) for a term while they attack from the minority political position.

In my opinion, the only way to save anything is to burn things down before they’re ready, make them take the blame and rebuild while people who have the ability to rebuild are still alive. This means giving them the government. They can’t govern, so it will burn fastest with them in control of everything. Hopefully, once everything is smoldering ash, we’ll be able to rid ourselves of these vermin.

Or we can stand by and watch. That’s worked pretty well so far…/s

ROCnPhilly on July 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I am still amazed that somebody with such a thin resume is in charge of the nuclear football

gxbhkt on July 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Bmore on July 11, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Oh, I know I’m not alone.

The thing is that we all have our part to play in this battle we’re facing. And I’m not responsible for someone else’s part that they play, only my own. And I want to be able to fight that to the best of my ability.

The sense of urgency has jumped a notch. There’s only so much time that remains. Or at least that’s how it seems.

MSNBS just doesn’t strike me as a valuable investment of the time, okay?

For people who know more than I do and can present a more credible argument than I can, the issue of time may not bother them as much.

Now, my little break time for this AM is at an end. Got databases yelling my name. Talk to ya’ later, Bmore.

lineholder on July 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Walter L. Newton on July 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Nice try. If that’s what he meant, he could have said it. Instead, he wrote in an objective sense.

If this is too hard for your pea-brain to grasp, here’s what I mean:

“The president’s rhetorical digs into Republicans remain a potent intoxicant for his supporters. They serve to distract from the nagging, persistent, and increasingly irresistible realization that this presidency, one which began with such promise in the eyes of his supporters, has failed.”

Ted the Average on July 11, 2014 at 11:15 AM

So, Noah appreciates the “protections” enshrined by Roe V Wade, and now he has made it clear that he believes Obama’s administration started with “promise.” Yet another exhibit in the slate of evidence that Noah Rothman is a progressive.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Around here it gets me compliments.

ConstantineXI on July 11, 2014 at 9:46 AM

My car had a sticker critical of BO from 2008 through the 2012 election, during which time it was keyed once and I was deliberately forced off the road three times by nice peace-loving lefties.

After the election I switched to an NRA sticker. Not sure why but they leave me alone now.

But yeah, to me Obama stickers are advertisements of blatant stupidity.

fatherspledge on July 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Noah Rothman is a progressive.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Well, yeah. Not conservative on any point, really. Notice how he writes like a liberal, always making sure he identifies conservative writers as conservative, but never bothers to apply the “liberal” or “progressive” labels.

He’s a progressive placed here to grow liberal viewership. He has tweeted his contempt for Hotarians a few times. I haven’t decided as yet whether it’s truly contempt for us or an attempt to ingratiate himself with his target audience. He certain writes as though he is a lefty attempting to write as a moderate.

ROCnPhilly on July 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM

These are depressing times for all but partisan Democrats, but that is what happens when the President of the United States is more enamored with his role as the head of his political party himself and the perks of office than doing his job.

Fixed.

Athos on July 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM

ROCnPhilly on July 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM

No kidding.

Obama’s not going to coast. He is going to import as many Democrat Voters as he can, and pass Executive Orders to keep them here.

kingsjester on July 11, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Or we can stand by and watch. That’s worked pretty well so far…/s

ROCnPhilly on July 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I don’t think you truly appreciate what burning things down entails. Don’t think that just the government assisted or paycheck-to-paycheck demographic will suffer. Economic collapse is not like an extended power outage. It is a fundamental reinvention of society to a more primitive and barbaric state. And not just in the US. The rest of the West has emasculated itself, and cannot realistically protect itself from the depredations of aggressive neighbors. How many of you would sacrifice the life of a loved one in exchange for a do-over of dubious result?

Immolate on July 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Can America survive another 2 1/2 years of the obama & Co. Circus disaster? Given a $4 billion dollar bounty we could solve this crisis in a week.

lel2007 on July 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM

The Thug, who’s Chief

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM

What a trashy man this is.

It’s questionable if he’s a man.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Yep, Obama doin’ what he does best:

1) Droppin’ the Gs.

2) Talkin’ about folks.

Why would he NOT want to spend his time doin’ that?

Marcola on July 11, 2014 at 12:14 PM

But yeah, to me Obama stickers are advertisements of blatant stupidity.

fatherspledge on July 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I appreciate them letting me know who they are. I always move over a lane or two.

VegasRick on July 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM

The mucking forons are happy with this goon?

Are you not ashamed of yourselves and him?

If not, you’re lower than the rat population.

He hates, hates, hates you.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM

The typical affirmative action employee, in other words.

vlad martel on July 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I don’t think Obama has embraced his role as the head of the Dem party more – it’s the only role he’s supposed to fulfill that he even has a clue how to perform.

Commander in Chief of the US armed forces? We all know how well he does that.

Chief law enforcement officer? Good luck with that.

Head of the Executive Branch, one of three coequal branches of government? You must be kidding.

Leader and crafter of American foreign policy? We can see how well he does that by looking at our place in the world today.

President of all the people? That’s the biggest joke of all.

jclittlep on July 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Immolate on July 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM

What is your alternative? I propose to let collapse things that are already collapsing and letting the American public feel the pain before everything collapses. If we allow the progressives to draw this thing out long enough that they have the power to disarm the populace before the Great Collapse that is surely coming, everything is destroyed and they remain in power and everyone who remembers how to actually build businesses will be dead.

We are looking at huge damage now with a chance to rebuild vs total destruction later with the current statist elites keeping power.

My family ancestors were dirt poor. Some died for this country. The average American is living in a fantasy. Hardships are a part of life that we cannot stomach. The progressives slap us around and we don’t even put a hand up in defense.

ROCnPhilly on July 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM

I think Obama’s cleverer than that. I believe he engineered this immigration crisis for the midterms. There’s a reason this is happening in an election year. That way he changes the conversation away from his myriad incompetences and failures to a subject he believes is favorable to him, immigration reform. He also gets to bash Republicans for being heartless. He does this all the time. In 2012, we had the payroll tax cut, the “essential tax cut for the middle class” that disappeared after he was reelected, followed by the contraception mandate, “war on women”, Dreamers, gay marriage “evolution” et al. And of course the endless slanders of Mitt Romney. Main stream media is prepped and ready to be his megaphone. So don’t underestimate this guy. Many people will blame the GOP for this. It could help him re energize Hispanic voters who have soured on him. Expect the Democrat/media calls on the GOP to embrace comprehensive immigration reform and attacks on them for being “heartless” to increase. They want this to go all the way to November. If women and children fall from the train or are raped or murdered on the way or die crossing the border that is just an acceptable loss in the service of a greater cause.

breffnian on July 11, 2014 at 12:34 PM

War on women, from obama’s left

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 12:35 PM

ROCnPhilly on July 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM

The alternative is to fight them now. Claw and scratch for every election; for every bit of legislation. Where the system is rigged, fight to un-rig it. Civilization will disintegrate sooner or later, but we owe it to everyone we care about to hold the long, dark night off as long as possible.

I’m a Christian. I know that the world will degenerate in fits and starts until the appointed time comes. That could be later on today, or it could be a thousand years from now. That doesn’t mean I think we should try to speed up God’s time table though. Preserve what we can, while we can, and prepare for the worst.

Immolate on July 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM

For what it’s worth, I don’t think he’s quit

but can’t blame him considering the opposition that he’s had to put up with

nonpartisan on July 11, 2014 at 9:31 AM

In your case it’s not worth a damn thing.

Say an extra prayer for the REB tonight at your Obama shrine.

slickwillie2001 on July 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Immolate on July 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM

This is the problem with the burn fans, they think that for some magical mysterious reasons, that our Constitution and the dreams of our founding fathers will arise from the ashes.

After the burn there will be no Constitution. The progs have been dreaming of ways to get rid of it entirely and that will be their first step. After the burn we will have African/Arab-style tribalism.

slickwillie2001 on July 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Looking at the thread picture – how come you’re not ashamed that such a goon is your chief?

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM

For what it’s worth, I don’t think he’s quit

but can’t blame him considering the opposition that he’s had to put up with

nonpartisan on July 11, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Schadenfreude against all of you who brung/kept him is palpable.

Must be Hell to be you.

I hope he destroys all of what you hold dear, primarily your Utopian pipedreams. He’d doing a heck of a job at it.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Immolate on July 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM

So, stay the course, then? We know many elections were tainted by fraud last time around. What became of those allegations? The GOP supported Thad Cochran by helping get out the democrat vote. My (R) Senator Pat Toomey continues to work for gun control every chance he gets even though nobody is listening at this point.

I should vote for these people… That’s the plan? Or should I “throw away” my vote on the Constitutional Party candidate – a move that could put the democrat into office?

Which is worse? Dying of gangrene or losing a limb?

ROCnPhilly on July 11, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Ad Offers Up To $6000/Month Tax Free For People To House Illegal Alien “Children” In Their Homes

Resist We Much on July 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Damn! This is awesome! How many imported potential bangers can be shoe-horned into an MS-13 gang member’s government-provided household? Five? Six? Ten?

I wonder how they’ll spend they’re days while we’re at work?

ROCnPhilly on July 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM

This Presidency, which began with such “promise”? Really Noah?

cat_owner on July 11, 2014 at 1:25 PM

#DumpNoah

faraway on July 11, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Resist We Much on July 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM

And once the gov’t stops paying, the “refugees” can act as squatters and live there indefinitely for free or until you move out.

HumpBot Salvation on July 11, 2014 at 1:47 PM

ROCnPhilly on July 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM

And on obama’care’.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM

“Let’s make this perfectly clear..I am the One. Therefore it is not possible for me to be wrong. It is only possible for all who disagree with me to be wrong.”

Praise The One, The Only, the All Encompassing.

We are mere, humble Mice in comparison.

I am only glad he let’s me live in the same country as he.

DWoDiego on July 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM

For what it’s worth, I don’t think he’s quit

but can’t blame him considering the opposition that he’s had to put up with

nonintelligent on July 11, 2014 at 9:31 AM

LOL, you must be talking about the longstanding opposition to him from the media…

False Reuters Headline at Yahoo News: ‘President Obama Visits the Border’

F-

Del Dolemonte on July 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Undignified president is perfect.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Undignified goon, who’s chief

But as Eilperin notes, “to some, breaking free can also look like running away.” The last thing Democrats need right now in the run-up to the 2014 elections are split images on television of chaos at the border combined with shots of President Obama playing golf or roaming the streets of an American city before yet another fundraiser.

Reince Priebus, chair of the Republican National Committee, snarks that “the only way we’ll ever get President Obama to visit the border is to have the Democratic National Committee hold a fundraiser there.”

President Obama’s behavior and verbal petulance is now opening him up to ridicule. That’s always a dangerous place for a president to be — especially one with an approval rating already hovering at 40 percent.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM

After all, its all they have left to celebrate.

Lord Whorfin on July 11, 2014 at 3:01 PM

….better known as “drinking the Kool-Ade”…

Pelosi Schmelosi on July 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Obama never wanted to govern, that’s why he never ran for Governor. He wanted to vote present, that’s why he ran for Present-I-din’t… as in I din’t do it… them evil Tea parties caused it!

NiteOwl on July 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM

O is a failed ninth-rate stand-up comic posing as a politician…

Pest on July 11, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Take away his frequent flyer feature toy. Let his pen and phone do the walking.

Willys on July 11, 2014 at 4:37 PM

obama aims to keep Democrats happy while he coasts to 2016

Well, Noah, are YOU happy? Do you think that obama will be able to keep you happy until the 2016 election?

Pork-Chop on July 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM

This article outlines nothing more than THE LIMBAUGH THEOREM. Rush came up with this theory shortly after the 2012 election:

jeanneb on July 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Obama was always too lazy to run the downfall, but his puppetmasters aren’t. Note the increasing pace of scandals and calamities.

Someone is pushing the buttons, faster and faster as we approach the midterms.

Wait until after November. We have two years left, it’s going to get worse and worse, faster and faster.

And do you really believe Obama and his controllers are going to hand over the reins to Hillary?

There will be some excuse not to have an election in 2016, or things will be so bad they just won’t be possible.

You have less than 2 years to get ready.

Who is John Galt on July 11, 2014 at 7:58 PM

The moon bats on the coasts are lost causes. Ignorant elitists in abundance. The only solution is a peaceful dissolution of the United States. That’s why I came to Texas from California 4+ years ago.

bimmcorp on July 11, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I’m back in Texas, also, for the same reasons.

Who is John Galt on July 11, 2014 at 8:29 PM

ROCnPhilly on July 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Two Years and counting. Get OUT of Philly!

Who is John Galt on July 11, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Dem Obama may coast until Nov. 5, then with much vengeance (and probably his excuse for joy) wield his pen and make matters even worse for the subsequent 27 months. He cares about nothing – I’m betting even his golf score is irrelevant to him.

BTW, anybody know his handicap?

MN J on July 11, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Two Years and counting. Get OUT of Philly!

Who is John Galt on July 11, 2014 at 8:36 PM

How I wish. Can’t leave at this time, but am getting everything ready for the bug out when the opportunity presents.

ROCnPhilly on July 11, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Mr. President why not also get the Republican party on you side by announcing your resignation before being impeached.

Remember, President Nixon resigned be fore being actually impeached and his image improved for at least being honest enough to do the right thing.

MSGTAS on July 12, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Barack Obama is an evil man. An exceedingly evil person.

Lourdes on July 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM

slickwillie2001 on July 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Agreed. The Constitutional government we has is not a natural phenominon, that we gravitate to. Rather, it’s like a marriage, where constant effort is needed to maintain it, lest it blow up.

And the Progressives have been at war with the Constitution from their beginnings. Remember, they regard the people as inferior; they require a technocrat to rule them “for their own good”, and a large bureaucracy to make decisions for them. This is nothing like the government our Constitution calls for.

So, “Let it burn” only furthers the efforts of the Progressives to burn down out government, with a pseudo-Marxist, byzantine oligarchy ready to take its place.

ReggieA on July 12, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Simply put

Obama has never understood his job. Not only did he never understand it, he failed to grasp how to deal with the problems. He has failed to understand what he must do to lead,and he has not a clue on how to begin to lead.

The problem is his being a narcissist. He cannot see himself as failing, literally. His narcissism is one in which he must create and image of himself as being powerful and greater than all the other presidents. We have heard him describe himself as a great president as he faces a pending impeachment. This past Friday we heard him associate himself with presidents that have been in office when legislation that he admires was introduced.
He purposely associated himself with Republican presidents.

In doing so he is equating himself as being as great a leader as he sees them as being while diminishing the republicans in the house and the power they hold over him.

It does not have to make sense to us, only to him and his vision of himself. This is only going to get worse for him and worse for us.

Franklyn on July 13, 2014 at 4:14 AM

Obama has NOT given up.

He is deliberately working to destroy as much as he can. The next 2 1/2 years will be terrible for the U.S.

glsmith36 on July 14, 2014 at 11:37 AM