LeBron James becomes first person ever to leave Miami for Cleveland voluntarily

posted at 3:21 pm on July 11, 2014 by Allahpundit

Emphasis on “voluntarily.” I assume there have been extraditions from one city to the other over time.

Time to scrape together a few hundred bucks, Cleveland readers, and replace that LeBron Cavs jersey you burned four years ago.

When I left Cleveland, I was on a mission. I was seeking championships, and we won two. But Miami already knew that feeling. Our city hasn’t had that feeling in a long, long, long time. My goal is still to win as many titles as possible, no question. But what’s most important for me is bringing one trophy back to Northeast Ohio.

I always believed that I’d return to Cleveland and finish my career there. I just didn’t know when. After the season, free agency wasn’t even a thought. But I have two boys and my wife, Savannah, is pregnant with a girl. I started thinking about what it would be like to raise my family in my hometown. I looked at other teams, but I wasn’t going to leave Miami for anywhere except Cleveland. The more time passed, the more it felt right. This is what makes me happy…

But this is not about the roster or the organization. I feel my calling here goes above basketball. I have a responsibility to lead, in more ways than one, and I take that very seriously. My presence can make a difference in Miami, but I think it can mean more where I’m from. I want kids in Northeast Ohio, like the hundreds of Akron third-graders I sponsor through my foundation, to realize that there’s no better place to grow up. Maybe some of them will come home after college and start a family or open a business. That would make me smile. Our community, which has struggled so much, needs all the talent it can get.

He writes that he’s met with Dan Gilbert, the Cavs owner who farted out this enjoyably nasty open letter to the fans after LeBron left in 2010 (“You simply don’t deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal”), and that they’ve made peace. In that same letter, Gilbert “guaranteed” that the Cavs would win a championship before the “self-titled former ‘King’” won one. Four years later: Two titles and four Finals appearances for James, a 97-215 record for Cleveland. Go figure that Gilbert was willing to forgive and forget. Now they’ve got the King, a 22-year-old two-time all-star in Kyrie Irving, and the first overall pick in this year’s draft in Andrew Wiggins. Lo and behold:

Our semi-retired president is pleased too:

By one estimate James is worth $80 million a year to northeast Ohio’s economy, but maybe that number’s on its way up. After all, we seem to be in the full flush of a Cleveland renaissance: LeBron is back, the Browns have Johnny Manziel, and the city’s got the 2016 Republican convention. This calls for a slogan:

Ah well. At least now, when Clevelanders gaze at that indestructible billboard of LeBron, they won’t feel so bad. Exit question: If the Cavs really do end up in the NBA Finals, what happens to the GOP convention?

Comments

Isn’t “Cavalier” racist?

Flange on July 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Except for a hurricane, that is.

No Truce With Kings on July 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM

With two days to the final soccer game, who cares about basketball?

Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I guess they can take a page from The One and move it outdoors to the Browns stadium. Nothing says “losers” like holding your convention on the same field where the Browns lose so frequently.

Bitter Clinger on July 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Well, the GOP IS heading there…

ToddPA on July 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Yawn.

ezspirit on July 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Four #1 overall picks on this team now.

Isn’t “Cavalier” racist? Flange on July 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM

No but PETA probably hates it.

Akzed on July 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM

DrewMTips @DrewMTips

Big week for Cleveland….LeBron James and the RNC convention.

Cleveland: For Those Who Finish Second!

Now that’s funny right there!!

Bitter Clinger on July 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM

With two days to the final soccer game, who cares about basketball?

Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM

With 365 days in a year, who cares about Soccer??

ToddPA on July 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM

The headlines section wasn’t enough? I guess we’re going to indulge the Prima Donna fully.

Can’t wait until we get the Justin Beiber thread going….

chuckfinlay on July 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM

With two days to the final soccer game, who cares about basketball?

Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM

What soccer game?

major dad on July 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM

With two days to the final soccer game, who cares about basketball? Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Two weeks until training camp!

Akzed on July 11, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Prediction: Cavs still won’t win a championship.

Bitter Clinger on July 11, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Wow dude does it make you feel better now that you have rundown Cleveland? It is not a great city but I don’t see the need to jump on the insult Cleveland bandwagon. All the things happening right now in this country and this is the best you got?

sortssux on July 11, 2014 at 3:31 PM

What soccer game?

major dad on July 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM

…and that, children, is a poster case example of why conservatives are often thought of as dinosaurs.

Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Isn’t “Cavalier” racist? Flange on July 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM

No but PETA probably hates it.

Akzed on July 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I thought it meant showing a lack of proper concern; offhand. Or, you know, racist.

Flange on July 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM

sortssux on July 11, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Lighten up, Francis!!

Besides, it’s Cleveland. The place kind of asks for it.

Bitter Clinger on July 11, 2014 at 3:33 PM

lol

Midas on July 11, 2014 at 3:33 PM

With two days to the final soccer game, who cares about basketball?

Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM

The final what?

Midas on July 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM

The Dan Gilbert angle is the most fascinating to me. You come back to work for the guy who openly mocked and belittled you, who had kept that letter posted up until a few DAYS ago? I can’t tell if that’s making peace or a tremendous lack of self-respect.

changer1701 on July 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Obligatory:

Number One

Number Two

Mr. D on July 11, 2014 at 3:35 PM

The final what?

Midas on July 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM

If you want to see balls handled by hands you don’t need a game field. You can see it right in the locker room, for free.

Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I’m sure Obama will address this. After all, what is more important?

TarheelBen on July 11, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Gilbert is a Big GOP guy.

If you actually think he didn’t tell Rinsed Penis or Kasich what was going do, you’re nuts.

First of all, putting aside winning the Eastern Conference, Cleveland has to have the best season record to win home court. Miami didn’t pull that off, this year. So if that doesn’t happen, it’s all a moot.

It’s not a problem. In fact, it was deliberate. The RNC wants to be in town, just in case the entire media world has already descended on Cleveland for either their first title in decades, or their first back-to-back in history.

So, what’s the worst case scenario? The RNC convention and either Game 7, a freakin championship for “local boy makes good”…or somehow the Cavs are a massive bust and never win.

I think they’re looking at the parade scenario.

budfox on July 11, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Two weeks until training camp!

Akzed on July 11, 2014 at 3:30 PM

8 weeks until college football!!

And my beloved Kentucky Wildcats might even win a couple of games this year!

BacaDog on July 11, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Can’t take a joke aye? So liberals all like soccer? Is that what you are saying? Given the drop off in viewership after we lost, awful lot of dinosaurs out there.

major dad on July 11, 2014 at 3:41 PM

With two days to the final soccer game, who cares about basketball?

Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Thought that K rap was over last weekend, I haven’t heard anything about soccer all week and wish I hadn’t seen your post, because sick of it. Hope the final game is a tie, who ever the hell is playing.

Wallythedog on July 11, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Now, was he in the World Cup…?

d1carter on July 11, 2014 at 3:43 PM

“I always believed that I’d return to Cleveland and finish my career there.”

Riiggghhhhht.

As soon as Cleveland filled up the treasure chest he demanded.

fogw on July 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM

major dad on July 11, 2014 at 3:41 PM

First, I did take a joke – actually, I almost trolled for it. Second, I am definitely not a liberal. And third, being of European origin, I do like soccer significantly more than basketball.

Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Awaiting the obligatory Obama statement on this.

He just can’t help himself when a news story isn’t about him.

Aizen on July 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Growing up in Pittsburgh, there was a saying that was used especially when the Browns would travel to Pittsburgh to play the Steelers. Nothing good comes out of Cleveland. Now it looks like nothing good goes back to Cleveland. Comcast had this blasted all over today. Seems like there is no other news. Guess when you are an obama supporter, you protect your investment.

crosshugger on July 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM

When does ESPN move from Bristol to Cleveland? If the Tribe could swing a trade for Yasiel Puig, I think we could get 80% of ESPN programming to be Cleveland-centric.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM

crosshugger on July 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I predict the Cavs will win more games next year than Pittsburgh’s NBA franchise. :)

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Awaiting the obligatory Obama statement on this.

He just can’t help himself when a news story isn’t about him.

Aizen on July 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM

“If I had a son and he could play basketball better than I play …”

Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM

And it’s kind of idiotic that the GOPe voluntarily chose Cleveland of all places for the convention. I’ve never been to Cleveland, but my impression of it is that it is not a special place, perhaps even a downbeat dreary de-industrialized pit of a place. Why not some place upbeat, with strong natural vibes, perhaps that hints of rural strength and heritage? The convention is for all 57 states, and we selected Cleveland just to pander to Ohio? How transparent. Insane. Maybe they selected Clevelnad at Beohner’s behest.

anotherJoe on July 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Riiggghhhhht.

As soon as Cleveland filled up the treasure chest he demanded.

fogw on July 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Unless we do a sign-and-trade, he’ll get less money with a max deal from the Cavs than he would have from the Heat.

As for the money, most people think the NBPA put pressure on him to take a max deal. A few million dollars don’t mean very much to a guy who makes more than that from any one of his myriad endorsement deals, but LeBron taking a pay cut makes it easier for teams to give less money to guys like Bosh and Melo.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM

PS…who the heck cares….another overpaid sports figure that when they are done will end up on the street broke selling their bling.

crosshugger on July 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM

LeBron who?

Wade on July 11, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I wonder how many Cleveland fans kept their original LeBron James jerseys?

Fallon on July 11, 2014 at 3:53 PM

And my beloved Kentucky Wildcats might even win a couple of games this year!

BacaDog on July 11, 2014 at 3:38 PM

They won a couple of games last year. Just not any in their conference. I’m looking forward to seeing them crushed on Nov 29th at Papa John’s. But it looks like you got 3 wins this year, even UK should beat Martin, Ohio and UL Monroe.

Wallythedog on July 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I thought LeBron signed to play for Germany this Sunday?

kcewa on July 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Hey B-Plus…good for them….I would rather watch a good high school or college game…..

crosshugger on July 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM

DrewMTips @DrewMTips

Big week for Cleveland….LeBron James and the RNC convention.

Reminds me of this: http://www.jellybeanboom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/PuppetShowAndSpinalTap01.jpeg

BTW, as a long-suffering Rockets fan, this is fantastic news. Houston’s gonna have a starting lineup next year of Howard, Bosh, Parsons, Harden, and Beverley. That’s arguably the best in the league. The only problem now is their complete lack of a bench and having one of the worst coaches in the league in Kevin McHale.

Doughboy on July 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM

anotherJoe on July 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Nah. Boehner’s district is just outside Cincinnati. That would’ve made more sense if he was putting any input into it.

No, this is the stupidity of Rinsed Prius. Columbus would’ve been a better city to hold the convention in if it had to be Ohio.

Bitter Clinger on July 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Awaiting the obligatory Obama statement on this.

He just can’t help himself when a news story isn’t about him.

Aizen on July 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM

See above

kcewa on July 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

With two days to the final soccer game, who cares about basketball?

Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Or any other time except the Kardashian misfits.

Wade on July 11, 2014 at 3:56 PM

“If I had a son and he could play basketball better than I play …”

Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM

“This is a great day for America and the people of Cleveland…”

Aizen on July 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM

So it looks like LeBron will be obamas son this week. Wonder if LeBron will wear a hoodie for him. Mr president, I am sure there are a lot of boys down at our border that you could adopt……

crosshugger on July 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Two weeks until training camp!

Akzed on July 11, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Hall of Fame game is in August. The third, I believe. Not a real barn burner, but, take what you can.

butch on July 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Rix

Oh nos, loser liberal soccer fans won’t like us. How will we ever get through the day????

xblade on July 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I wish the refs would call travelling more. I saw one dude take at least four steps “takin’ it to da hole” (you know, zig-zagging around, under and through defenders on the drive), no whistle.

otlset on July 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Screw you, AllahP.

I lived in Miami for 10 years and it is a hell hole. Moving back to NE was easy when the opportunity arose.

Tired of the criticism from losers that have never been here.

miketd on July 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Must be a slow news day. Personally, I think that Argentina’s Javier Mascherano tearing his anus in the game against the Netherlands beats this story.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I am surprised there still hasn’t been a post from your typical moron who tries to look so above everything by stating they don’t waste their time watching overpaid men play kids games.

The Notorious G.O.P on July 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM

*NE Ohio

miketd on July 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM

“Over-Hyped Crybaby Continues To Garner National Attention”

Works for James and Obama!

Jedditelol on July 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I don’t think that’s going to be an issue. And the funny thing is Lebron basically said he’s not that interested in winning championships now, lol.

xblade on July 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

As a local announcer said, have you ever had sex with an ex-wife or girlfriend?

Case closed.

bobs1196 on July 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

butch on July 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Sorry, but preseason games just don’t get me jazzed at all.

Bitter Clinger on July 11, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Now I think I understand how Allah’s output has declined over the years.

He pays too much attention to morons like Erickson and Drew. Reading that garbage regularly causes nasty lesions on the brain which show up as bizarre behavior and sheer stupidity.

If you don’t get help at Charter, please get help somewhere.

Adjoran on July 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Wasn’t Miami’s last offer a $20.6M deal for next year? Reports are Cleveland will pay him $20.7M. Where’s the pay cut?

fogw on July 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Who ??

pambi on July 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I demand more diversity in NBA.
if you send me $$ I won’t sue.

dmacleo on July 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM

crosshugger on July 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM

My Wife and I are planning on getting back out for a game
at Heinz Field…always fun there….

ToddPA on July 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM

With two days to the final soccer game, who cares about basketball?

Rix on July 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM

If you can promise it’s the last soccer game ever, I’m in.

xkaydet65 on July 11, 2014 at 4:10 PM

crosshugger on July 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Ah, the Ty Cobb analysis?

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 11, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I just don’t understand people who waste their time watching overpaid grown-ups playing a kids game.

Ditkaca on July 11, 2014 at 4:19 PM

crosshugger on July 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Okay, that’s fine. I prefer watching the best in the world if I’m going to watch something. I get that it’s not everybody’s cup of tea.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2014 at 4:24 PM

fogw on July 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

They could give him around ~24 mil because they have his Bird Rights, last I checked. That might be a couple years into the deal, though.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM

There are millions of reasons why LeBron James “voluntarily” moved to Cleveland, all of them with pictures of dead Presidents on them.

But for the Cavs to win a championship, LeBron James will need four other guys to help him play defense.

This has nothing to do with the GOP convention. The NBA doesn’t play in August.

Steve Z on July 11, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Works for James and Obama!

Jedditelol on July 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Except that LeBron’s actually the best at what he does. Obama’s only good at blowing off work for photo ops and being a demagogue.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Is football season soon? I’d rather read about Ed’s Steelers.

jazzuscounty on July 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I apologize. I’m not much of a sports guy, so please forgive the noOb question, but:

What’s a cleveland?

Axe on July 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM

This has nothing to do with the GOP convention. The NBA doesn’t play in August.

Steve Z on July 11, 2014 at 4:26 PM

The GOP is talking of moving the convention to June.

Bitter Clinger on July 11, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Nice cheap shot at my hometown, AP. Considering what Cleveland was like after the steel mills shut down in the 70′s/80′s, it’s come back strong – with a renewed downtown area, and it’s a leading medical city (there’s that Cleveland Clinic place you may have heard of).

I could give a rats potatootie about LeBron James – he’s just another overpriced jock who is in it for the bucks. I’m just sick and tired of people who have never been to Cleveland mock it.

Ygritte on July 11, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I guess we know what the first hour of Hugh Hewitt’s show will be about today!

Ellis on July 11, 2014 at 4:44 PM

With Cleveland’s luck Lake Erie sprouts a hurricane during the GOP convention, James gets busted with a call girl and then falls down a flight of steps, and Johnny Manziel is announced the Browns’ starter.

CW on July 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

And my beloved Kentucky Wildcats might even win a couple of games this year!

BacaDog on July 11, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Someone at work asked me today why I am a Browns fan. I couldn’t think of anything better so I said, “I am already a Kentucky fan, so I’m used to futility” :)

ConstantineXI on July 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM

it’s funny how Lebron’s a hero for using Wade’s last few good years and Bosh’s prime to get a couple rings, then kicking them to the curb for a better basketball situation that is also a good move for his image. Going back to Cleveland doesn’t all of a sudden change the fact that he’s a narcissistic diva, it’s really just a common sense move.

Raquel Pinkbullet on July 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM

CW on July 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

How unlucky is Cleveland? It’s where the Edmund Fitzgerald was headed when it sank in a freak hurricane strength storm on Lake Erie…

ConstantineXI on July 11, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I wonder how Wade and Bosch feel after giving up all that cash ?

Brock Robamney on July 11, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Bernie Kosar

myiq2xu on July 11, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Couldn’t care less about this. Was very happy to see him and his team lose to the Spurs though. A team that isn’t about one person.

sadsushi on July 11, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Is football season soon? I’d rather read about Ed’s Steelers.

jazzuscounty on July 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM

….which probably just got more interesting for the Steelers division rival, and specifically for Browns’ draft pick Johnny Manziel, who up until six hours ago was the most famous athlete in Cleveland, even though he won’t be wearing the team,s uniform for another 10-14 days. After spending the past few weeks hanging out with the Beibs, tossing $$$ around in Vegas and pretending to be doing cocaine with rolled up bills, Johnny Football might have gotten a bit more of a pass, because Cleveland hasn’t won a title in anything for 50 years. He may get cut less slack now with James in town, if he acts more like Terrell Owens than Peyton Manning.

jon1979 on July 11, 2014 at 6:51 PM

anotherJoe on July 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Cleveland has made a real comeback and has an upbeat vibe. The Northeast Ohio area runs the gamut from an urban environment (Cleveland) to beachfront resort communities, small towns, suburbs, and rural areas. There are farms and even wine vineyards within 25 miles of the city center.

My prediction is that Cleveland will host a better convention than St. Paul or Tampa. And I think it was smart of the GOP to host the convention in the Midwest. The GOP needs to pick up more Midwestern states to counterbalance Hispanic immigration in Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Florida, etc., which over time will turn those states more and more “blue.”

Outlander on July 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM

LeBron James needs to show up in Cleveland with a truck full of basketballs and teddy bears in order to show that he has empathy with the plight of Cavs fans and what they have suffered these last four years.

Happy Nomad on July 11, 2014 at 7:11 PM

You forgot Toledo- Venice on the Erie. /

I’m looking forward to the GOP opening session where they ceremoniously light the Cuyahoga.

Happy Nomad on July 11, 2014 at 7:13 PM

“When I left Cleveland, I was on a mission. I was seeking championships (the easy way)…”

ujorge on July 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I don’t even know who this LaBron dude is but must be the only one, everywhere I went today TVs were on about this.

So, carry on.

Tard on July 11, 2014 at 7:47 PM

AP, that headline is one of your funniest. (Sorry Cleveland residents, but it is!)

conservative pilgrim on July 11, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Wow. Insulting Cleveland, AP? How original. I bet no one ever thought of that one before. People who’ve never been to Cleveland are especially good at it.

That you would lower the normally high standards of Hot Air to support Miami over Cleveland shows you’re no better than Thad Cochran. The next time the Miami area screws up voting in an election – again – don’t come crying to us.

JCCentCom on July 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Outlander on July 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Let’s not get carried away about the “Beachfront.” I mean, there are some great houses on the lakefront, but Euclid Beach isn’t exactly South Beach.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 12, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Who is this LeBron?

Bubba Redneck on July 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Who is this LeBron? – Bubba Redneck on July 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM

A highly paid professional basketball player. I would say overpaid. But then the market determines what his salary can be. Frankly, I would not waste my money to see him play.

SC.Charlie on July 12, 2014 at 2:02 PM