Obama’s pathetic border crisis blame shifting

posted at 9:21 am on July 10, 2014 by Noah Rothman

President Barack Obama really wants you to know that Republicans share the blame for the ongoing crisis at the border. In fact, he spent the majority of his address on the border crisis on Wednesday not discussing the border crisis, per se, but the variety of ways in which his administration should not be faulted for this disaster.

After noting that he did take the time out of his fundraising schedule for a closed-door meeting with Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a concession of regal magnanimity upon which we must reflect in gratitude, Obama noted that he is at least open to taking emergency steps to stem the wave of illegal, unaccompanied migrant children crossing the border. But not, however, until Congress shares some responsibility for this crisis and passes a supplemental $3.7 billion request.

“Yesterday, I asked Congress…” “Congress has the capacity right now…” “The challenge is, is Congress prepared to act?”

No, the challenge is not Congress. The challenge is on the border, where the president has steadfastly refused to go so as not to be too intimately associated with this crisis.

“Are folks more interested in politics or are they more interested in solving the problem?” Obama said he asked the Texas governor. “If they are interested in solving the problem then this can be solved. If the preference is for politics then it won’t be solved.”

What a tired act. Obama is the honest broker, and all his opponents are cynical and self-interested. It would be laughable but for the fact that so few in the political press seem find it funny.

Of course, a supplemental spending package will have to be passed in order to fund augmented processing, deportations, and, as Obama said he might consider, National Guard deployments. If it is a crisis, and it is, then the executive branch does not wait for Congress to pass funding before it acts. It is beyond insulting to suggest that emergency supplemental funding is a precondition for a response to an emergency.

When the political concerns merit it, as they did in the wake of Hurricane Sandy in October of an election year, 2,800 National Guard troops were immediately dispatched to the affected areas in the Northeast. The contentious issue of funding for that effort came later, as it always has and always should.

When the president was not haranguing Congress to pass his requested supplemental package to deal with this crisis last night, he was berating them for not passing the Senate’s comprehensive immigration reform bill.

“It would be useful for my Republican friends to rediscover the concept of negotiation and compromise,” the president later said. “If I sponsored a bill declaring apple pie American, it might fall victim to partisan politics.”

If you were even a little unclear on the fact that Obama wants as much political distance from this crisis as possible, he made in precisely clear when asked a question about whether he objected to any of Perry’s emergency proposals. Beyond the fact that Perry wanted him to act “without Congress doing anything,” the president said he did not.

How is this language in any way distinct from Obama’s stump speeches, like the one he delivered in Colorado just hours before this presser? “These days, basic common sense ideas cannot get through Congress,” the president told an audience of supporters in Colorado on Tuesday. “If Congress won’t act, I will.”

Obama happily revs up his supporters by touting his omnipotence when it is convenient, but plays the constitutionally constrained republican consul when a politically inconvenient crisis demands his attention. What theater.

“This isn’t theater,” Obama scolded me. “This is a problem.”

“I’m not interested in photo ops,” the president vamped near the conclusion of his news conference. “I’m interested in solving a problem.”

This statement coming from a president who is anything but camera shy earned Obama deserved mockery from the commentariat, but the substance of Obama’s statement last night – that Congress is as much to blame as his administration’s negligence – was not dismissed by the members of the political press as it should have been.

“I think that the problem here is not that it’s a political question, it’s also a moral question,” oozed Bloomberg News’ Lisa Lerner on CNN. “I think you really saw that come out in the president’s remarks yesterday. He looked tired. He looked stressed. And that’s because he’s sort of caught between what he can do politically – which is basically, he has to send these kids home – and what he is thinking morally.”

Amazing how this weighty moral conundrum has not compelled our most sympathetic figure to see the humanity on the border for himself. Perhaps we should be thankful he did not. We can’t have our commander-in-chief succumbing to the depth of his emotional response to this crisis.

New York Times reporter Jonathan Martin noted accurately that the president was “shrewd” to meet with Perry and use him as a tool to pressure Republicans in Washington to act on this border crisis as well. That he did not then observe that this is an obvious attempt by Obama to create some political distance between him and the situation on the Rio Grande was vexing.

Even CNN’s John King let the veil slip a bit when he remarked that at least one Republican, Glenn Beck, has responded to the crisis at the border by launching a charity initiative. “We can laugh about that, but they are children,” he said. Why on earth would you “laugh” at giving parentless refugee minors food and toys? Why would that thought even enter your head?

The media’s reaction to this crisis in general has been irksome. Democratic members of Congress, from Rep. Louis Gutierrez (D-IL) to the House Minority Whip Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-MD), have been more critical of Obama in this whole process than the political press. For Obama, this is all politics – and treacherous politics at that.

The press is satisfied when Obama plays the game well and scores a point for the home team. For the border state residents, the tireless border guards and immigration processing facility managers, and the children fleeing violence at home in the mistaken impression that they can find sanctuary in the United States, none of this is a game.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Old Hotness: I will act without Congress for Immigration Reform.

New Hotness: Congress needs to fix this.

Guess, obama lost his pen and phone.

HumpBot Salvation on July 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Thanks. I read Noah’s tweets occasionally. You just have to understand his background. The unwashed peanut gallery is hard to manage. Like herding cats.

d1carter on July 10, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Hell, I never found APs tweets as insulting as I find Noah’s. But maybe that’s just me. I dunno.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM

See. There it is. Some do, some don’t. Perception/Reality strikes again! Lolz! Seriously though. Noah just doesn’t bother me. My only suspicion is he stays to busy at it for his own good. Continuity is sometimes a hard thing to discern.

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM

*too

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:28 AM

…Some Latinos come here legally (usually sponsored) and work to become American citizens because they want to be Americans.

Many just want to exploit America and enjoy benefits of our culture without the commitment of citizenry…They want to make quick money; although many underestimate how many years that takes…or they want to “retire” as a big person with payola back home.

Most illegals I’ve talked to don’t give a chit about breaking laws or committing fraud as a matter of principle because that’s how a person gets ahead back home…Most illegals assume everyone here is on the take of some sort…

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Those last two paragraphs of yours (above) are quite right. And yet there is no effort among the Left in the US who advocate for their amnesty (and for more of them to come here illegally, “one community” per Pelosi) to elevate or instruct, to IMPROVE their respect and appreciation for the USA such that they can see the error of their corruption.

It’s why their own countries are in such bad shape, of course, and it’s the same thing they bring to the USA when they arrive and stay here illegally. It’s like a disease in and of itself as to the overall health of our own nation. And I refer to the lack of ethics, not to their ethnicity.

Lourdes on July 10, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Yup, there only certain parts of the immigration problem that Dear Leader is willing to go it alone…he is so brave, cool, smart and compassionate. Especially compassionate…..

d1carter on July 10, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Noah has made three distinct, direct, and unmistakably unflattering Twitter references to commenters here at HotAir. You are certainly free to tell me that I am too brittle and curmudgeonly, but it’s not just a matter of “perception.”

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM

A direct result of Reagan’s erroneous amnesty in years back was the development and explosion of the fraudulent document (“identity fraud”) market in the USA.

Lourdes on July 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Hey can someone help me out with a question? I came in on the middle of an interview with Megehan (sic?) Kelly and that jackazz Karl Rove last night. He said during the W administration that the catch and release laws were done away with. Is that true? And if so, could someone tell Washington?

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Guess, obama lost his pen and phone.

HumpBot Salvation on July 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Nope. He still has the phone. ; )

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Who is he going to blame for not enforcing existing law (his job) and telling the Border Patrol to stand down (not his job)?

DimsdalePiranha on July 10, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Don’t forget he also sues states to keep his authority…then fails to act on it.

This is just more political games for Obama,Jarrett,Holder and Reid.

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 10:26 AM

It’s called “Running Out the Clock”.

Lourdes on July 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM

He’s stalling. All he has to do is to stall until some judge identifies these people as refugees. This opens up his options, and gives him more artillery to aim at Repubs.

And I think we should start getting used to the idea that these people are here to stay, folks.

lineholder on July 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Obama’s pathetic border crisis blame shifting

Fixed for complete accuracy

NOMOBO on July 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Yep, the more we know the better….

d1carter on July 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM

What’s amazing here, from a guy who’s accusing others of “playing politics” is that he’s in Texas for political fundraising. Doing “photo ops” with Democrat donors was his whole purpose for being there.

Barack Obama’s blame-shifting has become pathological. It doesn’t even make sense anymore.

Murf76 on July 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Apparently, you missed Jackson Lee’s comments yesterday.
The Houston Congesswoman….pathological is being too kind,

more like off the charts, Guam, and New Zealand have tipped over
babbling….and she says He can’t be blamed for any of this….

ToddPA on July 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Yeah. Still, I’m sure no one down here in the comment section would ever say such a thing about the mods here. Lolz! He just doesn’t bother me. Obviously he does you.

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I am very sorry to hear that. Everyone deserves the ability to vent about the frustrations of their job (us) but should do so privately with friends. While I am sure that we are beyond annoying, we are the customer and criticizing us openly but not directly is horrible customer service.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM

“What, me worry?”

- Alfred E. Obama

Wyznowski on July 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Yep, the more we know the better….

d1carter on July 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Yep. That is my take.

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM

And they say SP talks in word salads? This Rothman post was salady (h/t canapfor for the added ‘y’) for sure. I ended up having to skim it.

Anyway, the repubs do share responsibility. The whole DACA push and the gang of 8 amnesty bill were bipartisan. All these amnesty shills like Rothman are pretending that what is happening has nothing to do with their attempt to downplay our sovereignty and our borders. Sorry repubs, you can’t escape blame for this.

Let me put it a different way: Amnesty shills like Rothman are now being proven wrong and all the supposed backwood h*cks that they pretend they are superior to , well, they are being proven right. That’s the real story here. It’s now clear that the “smart” Rinos tortured thinking was part of the problem all along. The crisis is shared amongst you progressives(R and D)

BoxHead1 on July 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Yeah but when you whine about the hosts in the comments, you assume that is directly to them and they have the ability to answer back.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Morning Cindy. Sorry to be no help with your first question about W. The Noah thingy seems to get to some more than others. ; )

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I can honestly say I’ve been rather mute in my criticism of Allahpundit. For a candy-ass RINO, he at least seems to respect the people that read this blog and ergo pay the bills. I just don’t think it’s a good idea to be so dismissive. If one does not like dealing with the comments, which Noah apparently does not, one is under no obligation to read them.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Noah is relatively young. Don’t know where he was raised or scope of education but have little doubt, given the status of our current educational system, that Conservative principles are, for the most part, alien to someone his age.

Definitely a moderate, Bmore.

Only thing that I’ve seen on his twitter feed that irritated me was his conversation with someone named DrewTips (associated with AoSHQ) about how religion is by its nature exclusive, the Republican Party wants to be inclusive, and for this reason, people of faith should be excluded. (Major double standard going on there but….I’m writing it off to still being young and leaving it at that)

lineholder on July 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Do we need further proof that Obysmal is delivering to George Soros’s Open Borders Society. The payoff has worked as far as both are concerned.

onlineanalyst on July 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I suppose. Lord knows a lot of whining goes on about the mods here.

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM

During the week after Hurricane Katrina hit Mississippi and Louisiana in 2005, then-President Bush delayed several days sending National Guard troops to New Orleans due to the Posse Commitatus Act, which prohibits the President from moving troops to a state without the consent of the state’s Governor. President Bush was harshly criticized for awaiting LA Governor Blanco’s authorization to send National Guard troops to Louisiana.

In light of this, couldn’t Governor Perry send troops from the Texas National Guard to the Rio Grande to prevent Mexican people from invading Texas? Obviously, they wouldn’t shoot any unarmed people, but they could escort them back into Mexico…

Steve Z on July 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I think Allah may be the most Conservative mod here. I know for a fact, none of the mods here like dealing with the comment section. Can’t say that I blame them sometimes. ; )

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Okay. Must move on. Someone I am quite sure will be accusing me of derailing a thread. Certainly not my intention, yet there it is. Lolz! Later.

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:41 AM

If Obama wants the republicans to work with him, perhaps he should stop insulting them in every single speech he gives.

LASue on July 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:40 AM

If you don’t like dealing with it, then don’t! Carping about your customers in a public forum is bad form, to say the least! A blog’s comment section is like a laundromat. Open the doors in the morning, close them at night, empty your coin hoppers, and maintain your machines. You don’t need someone to watch the place all the time! Jeesh…

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Definitely a moderate, Bmore.

lineholder on July 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM

He’s in his 30s, I believe. That’s too old for the young excuse.

DisneyFan on July 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Bmore on July 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I know. I haven’t really tried to ferret out what I think his views are. He has just as much right to them as the rest of us. The twitter thing is another story. I realize Rude is a two way street but I like it when Ed or AP takes on commenters. When they don’t I assume they don’t give a flying flip.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Noah Rothman has said right here in these very pages that he appreciates the “protections” that were afforded by Roe V Wade. There’s nothing “moderate” about that to me.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM

DisneyFan on July 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Okay, wasn’t sure of his age. And maybe that doesn’t apply in his situation.

He’s just another moderate. It’s like anything else where you have to consider the source…just take into context that Noah is a moderate when reading what he writes.

lineholder on July 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Has Noah ever engaged in the comment threads here?

I mean Ed…AP and Jazz do…

Jazz gets a lot of grief…but he soldiers on…

My point being that engaging directly in the threads occasionally goes a long way rather than complaining on a separate format about what goes on in the threads at HA…imho

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM

It’s like anything else where you have to consider the source…just take into context that Noah is a moderate progressive when reading what he writes.

lineholder on July 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM

FIFY.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I may have seen Noah engage here once or twice. Perhaps his “let them eat cake” attitude wouldn’t bother me as much if it wasn’t on Twitter. But whatevs.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:49 AM

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Well, I guess that means we have a moderate moderator. I can live with that but I agree with you about the off site but not private criticism. I know that I don’t agree with every thing Ed and AP say either (and they with me) but I love them anyway.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 10:49 AM

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

ROFL. I think he leans that way, too, but was willing to give it more time to see where things settle.

lineholder on July 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I can handle a difference of opinion. But like the old saying goes, it’s not a good idea to crap where you eat.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM

LASue on July 10, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Obama wants to negotiate with Republicans about as much as Hamas wants to negotiate with Israel.
And for pretty much the same reasons.
Negotiation legitimizes the enemy’s claims and generally requires yielding some of your own.
Which Obama will not do.

AesopFan on July 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM

lineholder on July 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I think you are far too charitable.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:52 AM

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I believe he has for clarification. I know he and I had an email conversation. We are certainly off on a tangent and I’m pretty sure the points have been made. And I am positive that Obama is far more pathetic than Noah.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Morally? Emotional? Those are alien words to a marxist sociopath.

crankyoldlady on July 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 10:52 AM

The most significant damage that Barack Obama has done to our country is lowering the bar to the ground. My standard of patriotism and freedom is the United States Constitution, not “Oh at least it/he/she/they are better than Obama!” And many “conservatives” come up short by this measure, as well.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Agreed. I’m a proud member of the peanut gallery….LOL.

d1carter on July 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Steve Z on July 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM

This is Perry’s opportunity. No more waiting. Give 48 hours notice before the call up. Coordinate with Govs. Brewer, Martinez, Fallin and Jindal. Remember all the school buses sitting in New Orleans? Have the governors organize the buses back to the respective consulates in Mexico. Let Glenn Beck and Walmart help with food and water.

Notice how nobody is calling Perry dumb anymore? Obama has created a leadership vacuum and it is up to Perry and other GOP governors to fill it.

monalisa on July 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Steve Z on July 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM

The Feds…specifically Homeland Security run the show.

During the Bush administration W was swiping Texas Border agents and sending them to other states…and it took a congressional delegation to go public about it to get traction on that to curb it…

In short Gov. Perry can order enforcement and then be trumped on this specific issue by the president…which is what is happening.

Our border patrol and LEO rounds them up…and ICE lets em’ go.

The only enforcement agency that Obama can’t trump or swipe in Texas is the Texas Rangers…who answer only to the Governor of Texas.

Our federal government is also fond of suing states and municipalities who try to control the situation.

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Check out “Tucson Congressional Candidate Has Proof Surge Of Border Minors Was Planned” at http://www.knst.com/onair/garret-lewis-41270/tucson-congressional-candidate-has-proof-surge-12550977/

wolly4321 on July 10, 2014 at 10:57 AM

monalisa on July 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I never called Perry dumb. I didn’t and still don’t believe he is presidential timber, but then again I believe it’s foolish to expect politicians to fix what politicians broke.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:58 AM

- Obama REFUSES to enforce US Immigration Laws

- Obama CREATED ‘rights’ that apply ONLY to illegals

- Obama released 68,000 convicted violent illegals into the US populace

- Obama has the US Govt engaging in Human Trafficking by helping Mexican Drug Cartels and ‘Coyotes’ (who are abusing, raping, and even killing these kids on the trip) bring illegals into the US

- Obama is creating a Humanitarian Crisis by overwhelming local and state agencies with thousands of illegals they are unprepared for while providing no aid, funding, or assistance. MS13 Gang members, criminals, and disease-infested illegals are coming across the border. The USBP reports lice, scabes, TB, and more are rampant and spreading among illegals…and they are releasing them into the US populace without treating them.

- Obama’s administration is attempting to dump illegals into local communities across the US. Citizens have been holding protests and blocking & turning back bus-loads of illegals being transported to their towns. In response, Obama has ordered riot gear-clad agents to FORCE these communities to take in these criminal/disease-infested illegals into their towns.

- 1 Senator reported Obama told him he would NOT secure/close the border because if he did he would lose the leverage he has to get Amnesty passed, that he would NOT attempt to close the border until it was passed, and the longer Republicans delayed on getting it passed the more illegals would be coming into the US to eventually obtain citizenship.

- Obama reportedly spoke to members of Pro-Immigration and ‘Open Borders’ members ‘our future depends on the success of these DREAM Kids’. (The DREAM Act, btw, was NEVER passed but IS still being kept alive in discussion in Congress,)

- Obama has abandoned his oath of office / promise to protect and defend this nation / our borders.

- Obama refuses to visit the borders to see first-hand the results of HIS ‘invasion’!

easyt65 on July 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Darlin’ I’m just trying to gently get us back on subject. I don’t want anyone’s irritation to get the better of them and pizz off someone with the ban button.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 11:04 AM

BooHoo…Wawawa

It’s not my fault

Sorry Jugears, it is your fault and your problem.

Close the fooking border

txdoc on July 10, 2014 at 11:04 AM

monalisa on July 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I don’t know what Gov. Perry is gonna do beyond what he’s already done.

That said I doubt he’s gonna go against either the US Constitution…or the Texas State Constitution because he’s gotten flattened on the couple occasions he interpreted his role differently then his constituents and he backed down as a result.

Besides…Texans have been paying the bill for what is an issue of national security…dipping into our own reserves.

This will likely put a strain on local municipalities as well since only a fool would believe Obama or Congress will actually pickup the tab for this processing crapola.

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:58 AM

But how does it get fixed? I realize all the draw backs because they pick and choose what laws they want to enforce. Which is a big reason I don’t care about “comprehensive” immigration reform. Do you think it is going to take more people rallying?

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 11:04 AM

If I get banned for my comment of 10:54, HotAir is as good as dead to me anyway. I wouldn’t want anyone to mount a Free Gryph campaign cause I wouldn’t want to come back.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I have been a proponent of state-level nullification for some time, Cindy. Unfortunately, the Noah Rothmans of the world are one of the big reasons it will never gain steam.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Noah Rothman,

Of some note, it did not work out so well for Charles Johnson of Little Green Foot Balls.

On the other hand may be lgf’s is for sale.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM

While I don’t think that Texas should be footing the bill, going to the federal government just puts the onus on more taxpayer. And while admittedly the more people that pay, the amount is less cumbersome to Texans, none of us should be paying twice. Once for border security and again for the failure of border security.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM

What DUFUS seems to be missing is that the “optics” of this situation extend beyond the U.S. border. If he were honestly (assuming he can honestly do anything) concerned about sending a message to the south of the U.S. that there is no “Y’all come” policy in place, his being on the scene, riding the border — maybe even putting handcuffs on a Coyote personally (I know, got carried away there), would send a hell of a message to the countries that are hemorrhaging citizens.

Besides, I don’t recall Mr. Photo-Op having any problem strolling the NJ shore with Governor Doughnut after a certain hurricane. Why was Obama there, again? I didn’t see him with a hammer.

IndieDogg on July 10, 2014 at 11:12 AM

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I doubt many would get on board. More of the differences of bold colors and pale pastels when we don’t have any real leadership. Journalist should just be telling us the situation, they should not be determining how to fix the problem. Because they will pick the path of least resistance and more likely failure every time. They don’t like people who don’t use their inside voices.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Two words for ya, Cindy:

Isaiah’s Remnant.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Everyone should leave poor Noah alone, he’s a Peter King conservative.

RickB on July 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM

monalisa on July 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Presidential Timber = a Thorough understanding of Constitutional Responsibility + Leadership capability + The ability to hire capable people to form policy + The ability to govern all of the United States and her Citizens + The ability to wrangle effectively with a legislature….imho

As a Texan I’ve seen all these qualities in Gov. Perry…and while Obama squandered both his opportunities in office because he refuses to rise above party politics and can’t manage much less govern his way to the latrine without a GPS…Gov. Perry continued to be re-elected because Texans enjoyed his leadership in governance and he mostly stayed out of our hair.

In short Gov. Perry is leaving the office in pretty good shape after a long tenure…and while the US credit rating was lowered…ours was raised.

No politician is a messiah…But I’ll vote for a pretty good record of effective governance.

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Obama claims that the House’s failure to pass ‘comprehensive immigration reform’ is the reason that the country is seeing wave after wave of illegals rather than his own policies.

If immigration reform is so critical to the country’s national security, public safety, financial solvency, employment, the economy, and fabric of society, why did Senator Obama vote against Bush’s ‘comprehensive immigration reform’:

Barack Obama played virtually no role in the negotiations,” Kyl recalled to HuffPost, noting that there was one exception. During one meeting Kyl remembers Obama attending, Kyl said Obama pushed for a change to the employer verification process. Under the bill as agreed upon by Kennedy and Kyl, if an employee was not found in a database of those legally authorized to work, he or she would be terminated. Obama argued that the worker should be allowed to remain on the payroll as long as the appeals process was underway, arguing that the database would necessarily include a certain number of errors. Obama and the labor unions who backed the change prevailed. The bill was not derailed as a result, Kyl said, because Kennedy promised him the measure would be stripped before it was signed into law.

Obama did, however, vote at least five times against Kennedy on amendments, one of which passed and has been partly blamed by the bill’s backers, including Kyl, for the overall bill’s demise.

Of course, Obama’s votes against the bill are not necessarily responsible for the bill’s demise, but it does show that he didn’t think that the problem was so imperative that he would vote to fix it either.

His position has changed…just as it did on increasing the debt ceiling, which he voted against as a Senator. You see, his votes in those cases probably made no difference, but he could stake out a political position and not have to bear any responsibility for any outcome.

Now, even though he is the POTUS, he doesn’t want to bear any responsibility at all for the situation and must attempt to shift it to the Republicans in the House. A few facts get in the way although the media will never inform LIVs of any of them:

1. We already have immigration and border security laws that Obama has chosen not to enforce (All law are equal, but some are more equal than others).

2. Lax enforcement has acted as a magnet.

3. Fixing the administrative backlog will not stem the flow of illegals into the country.

4. Passing CIR will not curb the inflow of illegal immigration as long as current and future laws are not enforced.

5. Passing his $4.7 billion emergency supplemental bill will not stem the flow and is merely the beginning because, as long as Obama doesn’t enforce the law, people will continue to come…and will require housing, food, medical care, etc.

6. Obama is the POTUS and CIC and the buck stops with him…not one-half of one-third of the Federal government. He took an oath to ‘…faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.’

You cannot vote ‘Present’ as President.

Resist We Much on July 10, 2014 at 11:16 AM

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I’ll vote for a follower of the constitution. And I have yet to see one in my adult life.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM

How clear must it be that you have the rule of law or you have Obama/Commie Democrat lie and fraud way.

Keep it simple.

Climate Change lie.
Border Security lie.
Fast and Furious lie.
Bengazie lie.
IRS, L. Learner lie.
Trade 5 terrorist for a desterter lie.
Eric Holder lies.
John Kerry , Lt. for life and a life of lies.
Employment numbers lies.
Money printing lies.
Voter fraud lies.
Obama Care lies.

There is no doing a deal with evil.

Take Rick Perry just now.

Obama comes out of the meeting and lies on what was said.

Now what does Perry do,,,?

Obama spits on U.S. all and so far all we do is wipe it off and wait for the next gob in the face.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM

It’s amazing to watch this charlatan in action.
How many times have we heard about his “pen and phone,” and if Congress doesn’t act – he will.
In this border situation, a good argument could be made that he does indeed have the authority AND the responsibility to act in securing the border and stopping this flow of aliens into the country – and suddenly – he’s totally constrained by Congress.
Incredible.

And of course, he would never visit the border. Too many low-info Americans might lift their heads from the latest episode of the Kardashians and start paying attention to this situation.

The truth is: Barry does want to shift the blame for this crisis to the Republicans – but he doesn’t want to really solve it. It’s part of his plan to turn Texas blue and fundamentally transform America by turning us into a third-world socialist swamp. That, in his mind, is social and economic justice.

TarheelBen on July 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Any chance you could link or repost those 3 comments. It would be useful for the rest of us to see what the new columnist thinks of his readers.

njrob on July 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM

RickB on July 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Oh, Geez, now I want to pick on him.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 11:24 AM

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Scratch most of these border jumpers, and this is their understanding of what it means to be a “free country”;ie., everything is “free.”

You won’t find Obysmal and the Left disputing that point either because budgets and fiscal responsibility mean nothing to them.

onlineanalyst on July 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I’m going to have to study that.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM

monalisa on July 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM

This.

The governors need to step in before Murrieta metastasizes and all hell breaks loose.

petefrt on July 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Resist We Much on July 10, 2014 at 11:16 AM

And yet he has.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM

This.

petefrt on July 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Governors are powerless to stop what started in Murrieta.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM

So, fast forward and 20 years from now Ted Cruz after getting voted out by the new blue commie imported voters Rick Perry did noting but talk about is asked to write a History book by the still conservative leaders of Canada where tne New Conservative leader Cruz now lives with his re-instated Canadian citizenship.

The book will have to hold the long tenured Gov. of Texas, Rick Perry some what guilty for never doing what needed to be done.

Simply stand up for the U.S. /Texas Citizens of Texas.

Make the hard choice and if Obama and the Commies attempt to put the Gov. of Texas in jail, that should be all that would be need to light the fire.

Yet still no one takes a stand, every one thinks they can get this evil man Obama to do the right thing.

It is not what he is and he will never do the righ thing.

Obama is hate.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 10, 2014 at 11:31 AM

The President is the chief EXECUTIVE officer in the US. Congress is a LEGISLATIVE body.

They *write*, HE oversees and guarantees *enforcement*.

And this jackass is a Constitutional Scholar?

And yes, when the feds are derelict in their duty, State Governors should mobilize guard units to ensure their sovereignty. Perry, Brewer, et al, need to step up and do their jobs.

a5minmajor on July 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM

They *write*, HE oversees and guarantees *enforcement*.

And this jackass is a Constitutional Scholar?

a5minmajor on July 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Think about it, major…

I have long maintained that lawyers, police, and politicians are dishonorable professions. Is it any coincidence that they are all involved in the practice of law somehow? We wouldn’t need lawyers police or politicians if people were perfect. Alas, people are far from perfect, and here we are.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM

?

Are you saying that US Taxpayers shouldn’t share the burden of paying for securing our borders?

US Taxpayers pay for Security at NY Harbors don’t they?

If US Citizens want secure borders and harbors…this is a shared responsibility.

If US Citizens want states to shoulder the burden…Texans would gladly pay for it and enforce our border our way…with no interference from lawyers and protesters.

Reminder…Texas tried to clean up the Colonias on the border years ago by shutting off the water. Shutting off water in Texas usually empties out localities PDQ…We also quit educating the kids in those colonias…

Guess what happened?

The State of Texas was sued by the federal government cuz we was being cruel or something…

We lost in court.

That’s why the state legislature voted for a temporary education program (under scheduled review by the legislature) on the instate tuition deal…the conservative idea was We’re gonna get sued so let’s turn these kids into educated taxpayers…And it did raise Latino graduation rates and test scores etc.

Texas didn’t create this problem on the border and Texans certainly know how to deal with it…(We created our own army, called the Texas Rangers to handle it)…But nobody wants Texans at the immigration reform policy table…They just want our donor money.

By the way…In order to fence the Rio Grande River Congress would have to undo several congressional acts that protect the river as a “heritage” river…and undo both a tri-state treaty and an international treaty with Mexico.

So yeah…nobody should have to pay twice…But telling Texas to lump it while paying NYC sounds right?

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Embarrassing, yes. However, his real motive is to throw it to congress, then when they don’t give him what he wants he will act by executive order to allow more in and refuse to deport them. The money will be spent on caring for all their needs, including legal to avoid deportation.

rlwo2008 on July 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM

- Obama REFUSES to enforce US Immigration Laws
- Obama CREATED ‘rights’ that apply ONLY to illegals
- Obama released 68,000 convicted violent illegals into the US populace

easyt65 on July 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Much like everything that comes out of his mouth, last night Obama spoke about the Immigration Crisis (of his own making) and LIED like a champ. Obama asked for $3.78 Billion to help pay for HIS agenda-driven Illegal Immigration Crisis. Obama declared last night that his administration could handle the crisis if they only had the money and that there was no reason for Congress not to authorize the $4 Billion request. The TRUTH is THIS: This nearly $4 Billion will be added to Obama’s record-setting debt, and he has no intent to off-set the cost with budget cuts elsewhere. Obama KNOWS Congress will not want to authorize such a massive amount, especially when it will simply be added to the deficit. Furthermore, 1 Senator stated last night that Obama does not need any more money because there is already more than 20 times that amount ‘sitting there’ earmarked for ‘emergency spending’ (like this) that he can use. The Senator believes if the GOP reject the request for this un-needed money Obama will use it as political theater to claim the GOP really doesn’t want to solve the problem, although he has enough money now to go ahead and do so.

easyt65 on July 10, 2014 at 11:36 AM

The final analysis of Obama’s $875 BILLION failed Stimulus Bill (containing over 7,000 pieces of DNC Pork) showed each job created cost tax payers over $200,000. Obama said last night he has asked Congress for $3.78 Billion to handle his Immigration crisis caused by approx. 60,000 illegal kids coming across our border. Let’s do the math on Obama’s request for $3.78 Billion to handle the crisis of approx. 60,000 illegal kids coming across our border. Divide $4 BILLION by 60,000 kids – that comes out to over $613,000 per child. It would be FAR CHEAPER to provide medial care, temporary housing, food, and a 1st class airline ticket back to their country of origin!! The ‘Debt / Deficit King’ is at it again…

easyt65 on July 10, 2014 at 11:36 AM

rlwo2008 on July 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM

As mentioned, Obama ALREADY has the money he needs at his disposal – the $4 Billion request was nothing but political theater to do exactly what you said.

easyt65 on July 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM

monalisa on July 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I’m calling Perry and the GOP dumb. How exactly do you “secure the border”? Build a 2000 mile 12 foot fence that people can dig under or swim or walk around at the ends? (That worked well for the Chinese. Sarc.) Shoot people who are walking across the border? Immediately send back the people who walk over (which would apparently violate the 2008 law for non-Mexican Central Americans)? What exactly do you do?

And how exactly are you going to force Mexico to do more? Cut off commercial transactions with Mexico? BS. Again, just stupid lip service from the GOP without any effective solutions.

And where the hell are the Southern Baptist (and Evangelical Christian) churches in this mess. This is an humanitarian issue. I’m seeing a bunch of GOP types who are Southern Baptists (and Evangelical Christians) screeching about this problem, but I’m not seeing any humanitarian aid from their churches. I may well be wrong about that (and hope someone here can show me that I am), but right now their lack of response doesn’t look good to me.

jim56 on July 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Cult of personality: A cult of personality arises when an individual uses mass media, propaganda, or other methods, to create an idealized, heroic, and at times, worshipful image, often through unquestioning flattery and praise.

I rest my case. The only people left defending Obama are true members of his personality cult. Unfortunately, my older sister is one of them. They feel it is “treason” to criticize or attempt in any way to hold Dear Leader accountable.

TarheelBen on July 10, 2014 at 11:41 AM

jim56 on July 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM

If there’s one thing I hope we’ve learned from this mess, it’s that crossing the border into America illegally is first-and-foremost an economic issue. There are costs involved. Increase the costs involved in crossing, fewer people will cross. Decrease the costs involved in crossing — as Obama has plainly done in the last year or so — and more people will cross.

Don’t confuse humanitarian considerations with economic ones. These little MS-13 rugrats are apparently willing to risk whatever they are risking to come here. Changing that is a simple matter.

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 11:42 AM

TarheelBen on July 10, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Oops. Posted that in the wrong thread.

TarheelBen on July 10, 2014 at 11:43 AM

About 20 Texas, Az, Nevada, Calif Congressmen/women need to go to the Rio Grande.

When one of the SeaDo’s loaded down with illegals comes to the North bank of the Rio Grande, they need to make a Congressman arrest of the lot, then load them up in a half track and or other means and drive to the nearest Mexican border guards on the Mexican side and hand them over and tell them “Do not send any more and do not send these back”.

Yes Obama would have them arrested.

But the fire would be burning and it must be done or this thug hate U.S. will win.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 10, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Lower the needle on the phonograph and “……………so trust me when I say it’s not my fault. Those dirty republicans are just playing politics. If they wanted to get things done, well I’ve just been waiting with my pen…….” Barack Obama

And the needle lowers again……..”so trust me when I say it’s not my fault…..skip………not my fault…..skip……..not my fault……..skip…..not my…..not my……not my…….”

geezerintraining on July 10, 2014 at 11:44 AM

jim56,

I know you, your the span of the ones who spit on we Vietnam vets, your the one who has learned only hate of your home.

You are within evil, you know only the hate you have lusted for.

You will sin more, and you will be judged.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Obama is a thug bully, no one calls him on it, so he gets away with his hate and evil.

Time to call him on it all.

A time to choose.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 10, 2014 at 11:52 AM

jim56 on July 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM

A Governor of a state like Texas is not in control of national diplomacy and policy.

That’s like saying the Governor of Minnesota can willy nilly cut economic trade with Canada.

That includes economic sanctions towards another sovereign nation.

Sheeesh!

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM

jim56,

You are within evil, you know only the hate you have lusted for.

You will sin more, and you will be judged.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I’ve never spit on any vets and I don’t hate America.

Do you have anything constructive to add to this discussion?

jim56 on July 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM

No, I’m not saying that at all. I am just tired of people saying that they want the federal government to foot the bill for these kids when all the money come from the same place. Us. If the stupid government was doing their job correctly, we wouldn’t have to worry about taking care of these kids. They wouldn’t be here. But they are here and I want them shipped home sooner rather than later.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Do you have anything constructive to add to this discussion?

jim56 on July 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM

You are an idiot. You’re welcome.

VegasRick on July 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM

gryphon202 on July 10, 2014 at 11:42 AM

So, how to you increase the costs, exactly? Require their parents to pay $5000 to get the kids back (like they have the money to pay that)? Let’s have some specifics.

That includes economic sanctions towards another sovereign nation.

Sheeesh!

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM

So let’s see some specifics here. What exactly should Obama and Perry now be doing?

jim56 on July 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM

The national CEO is always out, raking in cash.

The irony escapes the leftist rats.

Must be hell to be them today.

He’s dragging them all down. Schadenfreude, pure!!!

Schadenfreude on July 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM

jim56 on July 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Gov. Perry has said we need to have a Monroe Doctrine for the 21st century applied to the Northern Hemisphere. (That would include naval blockades)

He said this is a national security problemo.

Sec. of State John Kerry said “The Monroe Doctrine is dead”

workingclass artist on July 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Apparently all of the talking heads who were berating him for not showing up at the border are satisfied with the perry meeting as enough

Unstinkingbelievable