Poll: Jesus would support stricter gun laws, higher taxes on the rich, reducing carbon emissions, and universal health care

posted at 8:01 pm on July 7, 2014 by Allahpundit

This is as close as I’m going to get today, it seems, to some patented slow-news-day atheism-themed clickbait. No need to thank me. Your page views are thanks enough.

Turns out the American public thinks Jesus is a pro-life liberal. Who knew?

The latest research from YouGov shows that on social issues in particular Americans tend to have more liberal attitudes than imagine say Jesus would have. 48% of the public supports legal abortion, compared to only 20% who say Jesus would support it, the biggest divide between public opinion and expectations of what Jesus would think. Only on one issue, the death penalty, do the public stake out a more conservative position, with 58% in favor of the death penalty for murderers compared to 34% who say that Jesus would support it. The smallest difference in attitude is on universal healthcare. 56% of Americans support universal healthcare and 55% of Americans say that Jesus would support it too…

Comparing Protestants and Catholics we see that Jesus’ imagined position amongst Protestants is more conservative than amongst Catholics. A third of Catholics say that Jesus would support gay marriage, compared to only 20% of Protestants. Most Catholics also say that Jesus would support universal healthcare and stricter gun laws, while in each case less than half of Protestants agree.

Abortion and gay marriage were the only issues tested in which more people thought Jesus would take the traditional conservative position than the liberal one. When asked if he’d support or oppose legal abortion, a clear majority of 20/52 overall said the latter:

abortion

A near-majority of 32/45 overall say he’d oppose gay marriage — although a near-majority of Democrats say he’d support it:

ssm

Among atheists specifically, a heavy majority think Jesus would be pro-SSM (69/5) and a plurality think he’d support legal abortion(!) (31/19). They were the only one of 24 different subgroups in which more people thought Jesus would favor abortion rights than would oppose them. As you can see in the first table above, even Democrats split 29/38 on that question.

On the five other hot buttons tested, Jesus is evidently an Elizabeth Warren progressive — and it’s not always just Democrats and indies who think so. The partisan “WWJD?” split on capital punishment is narrow, with Dems thinking Jesus would oppose it (27/45) and Republicans thinking he’d favor it (43/34). The split on stricter gun laws is wider, though: Overall 46 percent think Jesus would support those laws versus 25 percent who disagree. Among Democrats it’s 68/8 but just 28/43 among Republicans. The numbers are similar for Jesus’s support or opposition to higher taxes on the wealthy — 45/23 overall, with Dems breaking 63/10 while Republicans break 18/40 against. (Independents side with Democrats, 43/25.) When you ask about universal health care, the gap widens even further. It’s 55/19 overall in favor of those who think Jesus would support it, with Dems splitting 80/3 versus Republicans at 23/41. (Again, indies side with Democrats, 52/20.) And when you get to reducing carbon emissions, the three partisan demographics finally align. Fifty-two percent say Jesus would favor that versus 13 percent who disagree; among Democrats it’s 68/4 and among Republicans it’s 31/26, with independents in the middle at 51/13. I’m surprised that the global warming question drew a consensus when the other questions didn’t, but maybe I shouldn’t be: When YouGov asked respondents whether they personally thought carbon emissions should be reduced (not what they think Jesus would do), 40 percent of GOPers said yes versus 35 percent who said no. That may be the real news from this poll. A plurality of Republicans, whether they’re sold on man-made global warming or not, support lightening the atmosphere’s carbon load. Go figure that if they feel that way, they might attribute the same view to Jesus.

Exit question: Will Jesus endorse Hillary in 2016?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

WWJD tm owned by……Tyler Perry!

can_con on July 7, 2014 at 8:05 PM

so you mean Jesus would have the same views as the Vatican? Color me shocked.

Reason #89632 why religious thinking is for idiots.

HugoDrax on July 7, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I believe that.

I know for sure he would not say $&@ the poor. Lol

coolrepublica on July 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

You’re talking about Jesus Jimenez, that 15 year Honduran kid who just crossed into Texas illegally, right?

trubble on July 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Here is an idea, I say we all ask Jesus these compelling questions when we meet him, OK? Oh and for those who don’t believe in Jesus, your opinion and vote does not count.

For a bonus question, let’s all ask Jesus how he feels about abortion. I am pretty sure that might be a tad bit more important to him than Global Warming.

Johnnyreb on July 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Just dumb.

BKeyser on July 7, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Liberals hate all things Christian so why does this poll even matter?

The Notorious G.O.P on July 7, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Would Jesus reauthorize the Export-Import Bank?

Mark1971 on July 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM

+12 Dem identification over Republican? This poll is silly, but considering the split of those polled it’s more about how many reject Christ, than believe what Christ might support. Many leftists hate Christ, so of course Christ is the evil anti-thesis of what they support.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I believe that.

I know for sure he would not say $&@ the poor. Lol

coolrepublica on July 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

He would tell you to go and help them with your own money and your own time and your own hands. I’m pretty sure he didn’t just send a check to Pontius Pilate and expect the government to heal the sick.

trubble on July 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Nobody gives a sh!t what atheists think Jesus thinks any more than they care who Muslims say Jesus was.

ROCnPhilly on July 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I believe that.

I know for sure he would not say $&@ the poor. Lol

coolrepublica on July 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

He also wouldn’t project ignorant prejudices onto others.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Good Gravy Marie, atheists are really stocking the Short Bus ain’t they?

This poll really doesn’t say much good about anyone actually.

sharrukin on July 7, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Johnnyreb on July 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Just a bit.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I lot of the things Jesus thought were written down in a book, you know…

BadgerHawk on July 7, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Cheer Up AP- Walking Dead is coming back in another 90 days…

Plenty of Eeyore click-bait for you to use then. :o)

BlaxPac on July 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM

If by Jesus you mean Almighty government, whom the left worships as their God, then I agree wholeheartedly

rightside on July 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM

So, when the disciples showed up at Gethsemane, with swords, He told them to get rid of them.

Oh, wait. No, He didn’t.

So much for Him being anti-self defense.

Conclusion; When I want to know “WWJD”, I’ll check the New Testament, not ask my local atheist or progressive. Whose answers, as always, will be an arrogant, ignorant, self-serving lie.

clear ether

eon

eon on July 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM

What coven did they poll to get those results?

SMACKRUNNER on July 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Why would atheists care about Jesus’s opinions? They think he’s just some dude.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM

He’d tell greedy, rich leftists to quit being hypocrites, that’s for sure.

DisneyFan on July 7, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I lot of the things Jesus thought were written down in a book, you know…

BadgerHawk on July 7, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Dreams from My Father? Oh wait, that was black Geebus.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:14 PM

We should know exactly what Jesus would think – he’s been voting regularly in Chicago, LA, Detroit, NY, and a few other places for a long time now….

dentarthurdent on July 7, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I believe that.

I know for sure he would not say $&@ the poor. Lol

coolrepublica on July 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

trubble on July 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Trubble +1

Cool , seriously, you are one of the dimmest posters I have ever encountered.

CW on July 7, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Why would atheists care about Jesus’s opinions? They think he’s just some dude.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Any atheist who would answer a single question about what Jesus might think isn’t really an atheist.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Dreams from My Father? Oh wait, that was black Geebus.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Das Kapital?

Good Solid B-Plus on July 7, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Would Jesus support Carbon offsets?

I figure as long as I throw trash out my car window but pick up the same amount of trash when I am getting a walk in or visiting the local park I am good….right?

CW on July 7, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Jesus supports the death penalty, he participated front and center in an execution. When the thief beside him said that Jesus was innocent, but that he and his fellow thief were getting their just rewards, Jesus did not reprimand him, but told him that he would be welcomed in heaven.

Jesus supports a flourishing human population and I would argue that the carbon economy we have going right now is flourishing. So forget that.

I think we should all be able to agree on what Jesus would think of abortion.

Jesus on taxes would have no real opinion, but looking at the Bible and how it deals with tithes I would argue that taxes would be a flat 10% with no deductions. I personally think that taxes should be a flat rate. Everyone owes the same monetary amount every year. Right now, it is ~$15,000 for every adult in the nation.

Jesus never asked anyone to not defend themselves against violence and in fact had his disciples arm themselves right before he was taken to the Romans. So, I doubt that he would be for stricter gun laws.

As for universal healthcare… Well, the bible asks people to donate 10% of their wealth to the church. This money should go a little ways to supporting the church and the rest for humanitarian needs, such a medical care for the poor and needy. The welfare state as well as universal health care in fact separates people from God and his kindness. Instead of the church getting opportunities to demonstrate God’s love for them with acts of kindness, it forces everyone to support these people, thereby preventing them from coming into contact with those that might bring the word of God to their souls.

astonerii on July 7, 2014 at 8:18 PM

So Jesus was for slavery so the moochers could feed of the government teat? The forced labor of productive people?

I don’t think so.

jukin3 on July 7, 2014 at 8:18 PM

All I know for sure is that Jesus is a Spurs fan.

juliesa on July 7, 2014 at 8:18 PM

So would Jesus support forcing people to do good at the threat of a gun, jail, or a financial penalty? Really??? Would he say that 50.1% of the population voting to force others to do good deeds is a good thing? Are people really better off for it?

I bet he’d get a kick out of politicians taking credit for spending OTHER people’s money(swear of other’s peoples labor).

CW on July 7, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Allahpundit on July 7, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Okay … I won’t.

listens2glenn on July 7, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Maybe using one’s personal religious interpretations and preferences to dictate government policy is a bad idea no matter who is doing it.

Good Lt on July 7, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Hahahahaha … classic. Five little words, lefties. You cannot grasp them and you shudder and howl at the mention of them:

Go. And. Sin. No. More.

Jaibones on July 7, 2014 at 8:20 PM

You are joking, of course.

He said nothing about taxing the rich or the government giving everybody free stuff.

He did say something about His kingdom was not of this world.

Dialectical materialism is about as un-Jesus as you get.

formwiz on July 7, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Coolrepublica looks to me like a LOT of folkz say #$%% the Poor… to include Liberals, the sort of people destroying families & raising the minimum wage, hollowing out job opportunities & increasing the cost of life, which hurts the Poor the most…whaddya say?

JFKY on July 7, 2014 at 8:22 PM

…NOT MY JESUS!…he would throw all those money lenders out of this Temple…that used to be the USA!

JugEarsButtHurt on July 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I’d put Jesus idea of Big Government up against Liberal Progressive idea of Big Government ANY day.

The wait time for Vets would be less, taxation was roughly 10%, the Press was friendlier, and the Death Penalty, well, I know those guys chasing Moses across the Red Sea PROBABLY won’t be getting Work Release parole anytime soon.

But, hey that’s just IMHO…lol

BlaxPac on July 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Good Lt on July 7, 2014 at 8:20 PM

You get a +1.

God is probably more concerned with those who actually sin over whether or not there is a law that attempts to prevent sin, like abortion. Each man must ultimately choose for himself whether or not to do good in God’s eyes regardless of any law. And if the only thing preventing sin is a law that man’s immortal soul is in trouble.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I believe that.

I know for sure he would not say $&@ the poor. Lol

coolrepublica on July 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

You sorryA$$, you ain’t gittin’ away with that obscure “hit ‘n’ run”.
Who IS saying “$&@ the poor” ? … and say it proud when you answer, chump.

listens2glenn on July 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Just because Jesus is depicted as having had long hair, it does not make Him a hippie.

Left Coast Right Mind on July 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM

***

I know for sure he would not say $&@ the poor. Lol

coolrepublica on July 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Just as libs say, unless their using the arm of government to direct them resources. Consult Arthur Brooks: conservatives are FAR more generous with their individual contribution of resources and time than liberals.

Liberals are charitable only with the tax money of others.

BuckeyeSam on July 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Let’s see what Jesus actually said:

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Luke 22:36

claudius on July 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Jesus would support smiting you for putting words in his mouth and for projecting your cheap political intentions onto him.

bour3 on July 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I believe that.

I know for sure he would not say $&@ the poor. Lol

coolrepublica on July 7, 2014 at 8:06 PM

He did say “you’ll always have the poor,” criticizing his own followers who murmured that a very expensive oil– worth close to a year’s wages for a day laborer– should have been sold and the proceeds distributed to the poor, rather than being rubbed onto Jesus’ feet.

People are constantly surprised by what Jesus actually did, as opposed to what they think he would have done.

de rigueur on July 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Why do I care what illogical atheists think?? When Krauthammer calls atheism against human rational AP it’s clear atheism has issues…Mao,Stalin aside…

sorrowen on July 7, 2014 at 8:26 PM

AP, you could always post more on the MS Senate election…it’s boiling over again.

d1carter on July 7, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Good Lt. What a load of rubbish… Why wouldn’t I use my personal religious beliefs to shape public policy? What do you think public policy is A-moral? Certainly not, public policy is very norm-driven… it’s making real what “you” consider the Good & Just Society.

But tell you what, YOU run for office & then adopt a Roman Catholic position on public policy issues, rather than your ATHEIST one(s)… see that way you aren’t forcing YOUR beliefs on anyone….

Sorry that’s one of those Knucklehead statements loser Atheist make…I can make my opinion public policy, so NO ONE ought to get to…. yeah right UNTIL “your” side is in charge, right? Then NO tax exemptions for churches…. but that isn’t “moral/immoral” that’s just Public Policy, right?

You’re as delusional as the Progressives who know they aren’t IDEOLOGICAL, just that they are RIGHT….

JFKY on July 7, 2014 at 8:27 PM

A poll where the majority of participants don’t even know Jesus.

iamsaved on July 7, 2014 at 8:27 PM

swear= sweat

CW on July 7, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I don’t know if Jesus would but Marx, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Hitler, PolPot, and Obama sure would. The six wise men of totalitarian state cultism.

Obama has put a new spin on Marx though. From the middle class to the elite with some spill over to the poor. Wait, I guess that what it has always been.

jukin3 on July 7, 2014 at 8:28 PM

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:15 PM

How can you say that? The New testament is a wonderful book to study for most of it’s moral content. One doesn’t have to accept the supernatural or metaphysical aspects of the book to get a rather good view of Jesus’ positions on all kinds of earthly issues.

Walter L. Newton on July 7, 2014 at 8:29 PM

d1carter on July 7, 2014 at 8:27 PM
They have not even certified the election yet its turned into political choas in MS.

sorrowen on July 7, 2014 at 8:30 PM

JFKY on July 7, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Good Lt is just another atheistic crank. Nothing new with that one.

CW on July 7, 2014 at 8:31 PM

My brother in law is a atheist/agnostic dude can’t debate for anything…

sorrowen on July 7, 2014 at 8:32 PM

How can you say that?

Walter L. Newton on July 7, 2014 at 8:29 PM

He just did.

CW on July 7, 2014 at 8:33 PM

The Rich Man wasn’t in Gahanna/H3ll because he didn’t pay enough in taxes…. he was in H3ll because HE didn’t take care of Lazarus….

Now, I would have asked Jesus to elaborate on that…. so IF the Rich Man gave Lazarus 1/2 talent of gold what that have been ok? & when the next day 10 Lazarus’ showed up at the Rich Man’s door, should he have given each one 1/2 talent? And when the Rich Man was no longer rich, where should they turn?

I’m a pesky contrarian, I’m sure Jesus would have LOVED me…. well He does, but I imagine He’d have rebuked me daily….

JFKY on July 7, 2014 at 8:34 PM

If I thought Jesus ever really existed I would be more concerned about if he could turn water into a nice oatmeal stout.

Dan_Yul on July 7, 2014 at 8:35 PM

For scriptural types, there’s pretty good evidence he would throw 99.99 % of humanity into a burning trash pit. On the other hand, if you believe the book is just a paper idol, why the 773H are you trying to lay claim to what a possibly fictional dead jew (or the spaghetti monster/:p) might think?

S. D. on July 7, 2014 at 8:36 PM

“If ten percent is good enough for Jesus, it ought to be good enough for Uncle Sam!”

LarryK on July 7, 2014 at 8:37 PM

AP talk about the MS election :) as it’s turning into choas down here no winner has been called.

sorrowen on July 7, 2014 at 8:37 PM

S. D. on July 7, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Atheists always attack Christians never the violent,sexist decaptation loving Muslims…

sorrowen on July 7, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Exit question: Will Jesus endorse Hillary in 2016?

I don’t think she’s running……. but…….. NO!

cat_owner on July 7, 2014 at 8:41 PM

1) There is a very good, if flawed book out there called “Your G*d is Too Small” that addresses various PoV concerning Jesus. The author does a really good job of demolishing them, HOWEVER, he can’t then tell you what Jesus IS… but he does a good job of debunking the weenie Jesus, Jesus as Grandfather, Jesus as many things…. some of which are in this poll.
2) S.D. I’m afraid you haven’t a clue about that statement… Jesus would NOT put 99.9% of “us” on a burning trash heap…. please cite your Biblical source(s), bearing in mind that almost all Christians would argue that the Revelation of John is highly allegorical & not “literal” at all, if you are referring to a statement about “144,000″ (IIRC).

JFKY on July 7, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Good Lt on July 7, 2014 at 8:20 PM

You get a +1.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:24 PM

You two ain’t gettin’ away with that, either . . . . .
The Bible standards of morality were accepted by ALL, including atheists as the standard for defining lawful behavior vs unlawful behavior, from before the country’s founding until the “Warren Court” … and it worked, except for institutionalized slavery in the south, and later the “Jim Crow” laws.

Having a society of individuals setting their own individual “standards of morality” creates anarchy … kinda’ like we have now.

listens2glenn on July 7, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Slow news day I guess. Say anyone know whats going on with that Ole Miss election fraud thingy?

Bmore on July 7, 2014 at 8:46 PM

The issue with atheism is no morals other then humanism which has be involved with genocide…

sorrowen on July 7, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Bmore on July 7, 2014 at 8:46 PM
I have no idea why anyone is touching I mean massive voter fraud,vote buying the stories write themselves.

sorrowen on July 7, 2014 at 8:48 PM

They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.

Titus 1:16

claudius on July 7, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Technically, SD Jesus puts NO ONE on the burning Trash Heap, YOU PUT YOURSELF there by your actions & inactions…&, in fact, almost all Christians believe that ONLY Jesus saves you from that trash heap, because NO ONE really merits Heaven, any way, & that only G*d’s Love & Grace allow us to bridge the gap from our sinful natures & Heaven…. we argue about the relative merits of Works versus Faith.

You have a very limited understanding of Christianity… you might wander by a number of monasteries. They have open, many do, periods where you can go & talk with the monks. It would correct many of the fallacies of your “beliefs” concerning Christianity….

JFKY on July 7, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I see coolrepublica hasn’t replied to any of the multiple-numerous responses to his original comment, yet.

listens2glenn on July 7, 2014 at 8:49 PM

You two ain’t gettin’ away with that, either . . . . .

listens2glenn on July 7, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Laws don’t matter when it comes to one’s salvation. Our laws should be about protecting life, property, and property; NOT about imposing faith. Niw in the process of doing the above we ultimately do enshrine faith in our laws. I don’t deny that. But I don’t want a law against abortion because I want to save sinners. Each man must freely choose righteousness, after all. I want laws against abortion to save the innocent.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:50 PM

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Second property should be liberty.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Bmore on July 7, 2014 at 8:46 PM
The MS election has not been called yet and there is choas and it’s boiling over now. Thad’s in hiding….

sorrowen on July 7, 2014 at 8:51 PM

For scriptural types, there’s pretty good evidence he would throw 99.99 % of humanity into a burning trash pit . . . . .

S. D. on July 7, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Such as _________________________________________.

listens2glenn on July 7, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Atheists are concerned about what someone they don’t believe in thinks?

Take a poll. Make shit up. Someone will print it.

GarandFan on July 7, 2014 at 8:51 PM

An atheist blogger publishes a poll about what people think Jesus would say about modern issues, which means nothing. If anyone wants to know Jesus’ view on the issues, they should read the Gospels. Some people may disagree with Jesus on certain issues, but they should not put words in His mouth. Let Jesus speak for Himself, through those who wrote down His words.

Those who haven’t read the Gospels need to remain silent on what Jesus “would” think about modern issues.

Steve Z on July 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Why wouldn’t I use my personal religious beliefs to shape public policy?

Because it’s just as easy that some other loon can use it against both you and those of us who reject your assumptions.

The sword cuts both ways. The best way to keep this from happening is to remove your personal religious preferences from public policy making.

Unless, you know, you have no problem with other people with whom you claim to steadfastly disagree using the same books and interpretations of said books to make policy.

And it’s evident you have a problem with ‘some’ people doing that. I’m just pointing out that they have just as much justification to do it as you (ie, none), and you have nothing to counter with as a matter of pure speculative belief to say they’re ‘wrong.’ They just have a different interpretation of the same things you’re reading. You’ve already removed the secular protections against such stupidity by insisting your church extends to the rest of us as well. They’re responding in kind, and the rest of us sit here scratching our heads at the blindness of both sides.

This is why there is a separation of church and state, and you should welcome it.

Good Lt on July 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM

JFKY on July 7, 2014 at 8:43 PM

I should have specified literalists instead of generalizing. My point being that an atheist’s take on what Jesus would support is uninformed and useless.

S. D. on July 7, 2014 at 8:54 PM

sorrowen on July 7, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Um, remember when they ignored another big story, because… Well, it would have been bad for the long time insider established bleed the country dry republicans? What was it, it was only a few months ago…

astonerii on July 7, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom the authority to judge was committed. Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for the testimony of Jesus and for the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

Revelation 20:4

claudius on July 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM

It’s easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a liberal to get to heaven. ~~ Jesus

Blake on July 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM

notcoach you keep missing the point, law IS informed by religious/philosophical PoV…The Tax Exempt Status of churches is informed not by rational calculation alone, but by what “we” think of as “good.”

Abortion is neither right nor wrong, UNTIL viewed thru a moral lens…

I believe Hume said, “We can show that burning babies causes them pain, we cannot demonstrate that it is wrong.”. His point, IMO, was that Reason is limited in its ability to guide us as to what is good or bad…. much of Liberalism fails because it fails to provide what it PROMISES… but libertarianism or Conservatism justify themselves on the basis of self-derived norms… as a Conservative I don’t think you have a “right” to wreck yourself with heroin… you may disagree.

You & I might dispute with Verbaluce Liberalism from a Theoretical & EMPRICAL stand point, but you & I would disagree on more norm-based arguments that cannot be resolved, because we measure “good” in different ways.

JFKY on July 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Except you ARE imposing faith.

Your faith that women are the equal of men, which Muslims don’t believe.

Your faith that an unborn child is human/innocent which progressives don’t believe

You must impose someone’s faith in morality.

sharrukin on July 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM

1. I don’t care to speculate about what a man who is dead approximately 1,981 years has to say about the world I currently live in.

2. I REALLY don’t care what liberals have to say about the world I currently live in, nor about their speculation on the aforementioned deceased fellow.

I think everyone should reflect on the real meaning of “God helps those who help themselves”. It is widely accepted Jesus was a carpenter. So he was probably not the kind to sit on his ass and wait for someone to give him something for nothing…

..Then again he tended to just wander the countryside with twelve of his buddies, doing nothing but stand-up…sooo…who knows?

a5minmajor on July 7, 2014 at 8:57 PM

So as a Roman Catholic I ought to remain agnostic on Abortion Good Lt.? What is the point of Church if not to inform us of moral choices & taking those choices “into the world?”. So you will NOT be taking the tax-exempt status from churches when you’re POTUS? What will be the basis of your public policy? Utilitarianism… why? What is the “greatest good for the greatest number?”. And again, abortion right or wrong? Good public policy or bad? Why is it good public policy to murder the Unborn? Elaborate, remain morally neutral, & entirely EMPIRICAL in your explanations, OTHERWISE, you are simply using your beliefs to act upon others.

JFKY on July 7, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I’m not going to build a concordance trying to change any minds about the nature of GOD or Jesus. I’ll just leave you a quote:

Matthhew 10
34″Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35″For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW

S. D. on July 7, 2014 at 9:03 PM

JFKY on July 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM

I am a Christian, and that certainly does inform my position on the law. But I can not bring myself to oppose God’s plan which included giving us free will unless what others are doing is denying free will. It is easy to support laws prohibiting abortion because abortion is both an highly immoral act, and because it denies many their free will. Drug laws I am less concerned with, although in many cases I might still support them (at the state level, anyways) because the sinner is denying only himself salvation.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Would Jesus bomb Iraq? Oh wait, given his ancestry he probably would.

Rix on July 7, 2014 at 9:04 PM

listens2glenn on July 7, 2014 at 8:44 PM

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:50 PM

“Standards of morality” do NOT impose “faith”. They do impose standards of right and wrong, and by so doing they (plus enforcement) cause to bring to pass a condition of ‘civility’.

How, or in what way … did I give you the impression I was trying to impose these laws to “save” the unsaved?

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:50 PM

What I said, above.

I want laws against abortion to save the innocent.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Totally agree there . . . . . I’m still left wondering what I said, that gave you the impression I was trying to impose these laws to “save” the unsaved?

listens2glenn on July 7, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Steve Z on July 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM

How do you know this atheist blogger hasn’t read the bible? It’s now the exclusive domain of Christians to be able to read the bible and understand the moral message behind what Jesus taught.

You’re assuming way, way too much.

Walter L. Newton on July 7, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Except you ARE imposing faith.

Your faith that women are the equal of men, which Muslims don’t believe.

You must impose someone’s faith in morality.

sharrukin on July 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM

I’m not going to argue with any of that.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 9:07 PM

a5minmajor…so no use for a man born in 30 BC or so… what about some guys 225 years ago… they had no conception of the Internet or Assault Weapons & allowed Slavery… you good with ignoring them too, because they’re “Old?”

If not please explain & elaborate upon what is old or still valid, & why your definition of “past its sell by date” is any more valid than mine, please.

Otherwise I guess you’d just a glib atheist….

JFKY on July 7, 2014 at 9:07 PM

listens2glenn on July 7, 2014 at 9:04 PM

You didn’t.

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Then notcoach we have no argument…. I’m not in favour of making you eat fish during Lent… we’re arguing @ the margins.

JFKY on July 7, 2014 at 9:09 PM

NotCoach on July 7, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Except you ARE imposing faith.

Your faith that women are the equal of men, which Muslims don’t believe.

You must impose someone’s faith in morality.

sharrukin on July 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Standards of morality ARE NOT “FAITH.”
Demanding that you believe in God, or accept Jesus as Savior and LORD, would be.

“Faith” and “morality” are not mutually INCLUSIVE.

listens2glenn on July 7, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Good Lt on July 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM

There’s a thin line between a theocracy and people of good will being pious and flavoring one political views.

Even the most honestly cynical amongst us can state we are NOT a theocracy; far from it: and it isn’t because some whiny Progressives are chaining themselves to fences demanding I (or anyone else) pay for their damn birth control.

I respect Catholicism, even if I am not a practicing one (was Baptized and family uncles were Black Southern Baptist FWIW, but the Founding of this country was based upon Judea-Christan values, and so far, the last 240 years the Republic has been pretty damn tolerant of any other religious viewpoints, from the very Orthodox to Atheists.

BlaxPac on July 7, 2014 at 9:10 PM

So gods morality vs atheisms lack of morality…

sorrowen on July 7, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Good Lt on July 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM

There is no “separation of church and state”. Government is forbidden to control or exert influence on religion, BUT NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND…

The men who helped draft the Constitution prayed at the beginning of all sessions of congress … right inside the building … right inside the chamber … out loud.
The Warren Court S U C K E D.

listens2glenn on July 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM

The Warren Court S U C K E D.

listens2glenn on July 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM