Video: Trucker delights America by reprimanding speeding cop and getting away with it

posted at 9:41 pm on July 2, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

I can’t believe he didn’t get hauled off to jail. Which is a really depressing realization to have about one’s free country. But in this clip, which has gotten 4 million views in a week, a trucker gets pulled over by an Illinois State Trooper*. Why? The trooper sped past him well over the speed limit, according to the trucker, on his phone, on a wet road. So, the trucker laid on the horn.

He was then, of course, pulled over for “unlawful use of a horn” or some such nonsense, which is where the video picks up. I want to offer a caveat on this because no one seems to have reported it out and found the truck driver, but it has been posted at Esquire and Road & Track, and it so delighted me, I had to show it to you. The trooper takes the traditional tack with him for a few minutes before the trucker tells him he has him speeding on his dash cam video. The trucker is also obviously extremely sure he’s got all his papers and what-not in order and can withstand scrutiny. He does withstand it, and the lecture he gives this trooper, and the trooper’s cowed response— delicious:

Good for him for backing off once caught instead of doubling down, though one would hope these guys would just consider themselves subject to the same laws as the rest of us in the first place.

*per the YouTube description

In other good freedom of transportation news, Virginia has lifted its ban on Uber and Lyft ride services (which I had been using illicitly):

The CEA [Consumer Electronics Association], which had lobbied against the ban alongside other tech organizations, was first out with a response to the news, even before the official releases have come out. We’ll be reporting more as the story develops.

“We are encouraged by reports that the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is taking steps to allow innovative transportation network providers Uber and Lyft to operate in the Commonwealth,” said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO of the CEA in the release. “As we noted from the moment the DMV issued a ‘cease-and-desist’ order to these companies, denying them the ability to operate in Virginia is anti-consumer, anti-jobs and directly at odds with Virginia’s reputation as a pro-business state.”

Uber and Lyft aren’t totally out of the woods yet. Talks are ongoing about finding a solution to the regulatory issues presented by how the companies operate, but it’s definitely a positive sign for those who are fans of the ride-share app system.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Did the trucker give the cop a speeding ticket? or just let him off with a warning?

oscarwilde on July 2, 2014 at 9:43 PM

It’s the dash cam, without it the trucker is holding a ticket in his hand for “unlawful use of horn”.

Unlawful use of horn? WTF is happening in this nation.

Bishop on July 2, 2014 at 9:47 PM

MY wife’s response when I pointed this video out to her:

“Good! Now we need a hell of a lot more people reminding the police they WORK FOR US.”

PolAgnostic on July 2, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Send this trucker to an obozoville illegal invader camp and let him film HHS goons. Maybe he’ll have better luck than the Congresscritter.

Flange on July 2, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Trucker continues to be a jerk even after the Trooper admits he was wrong.

Bigbullets on July 2, 2014 at 9:50 PM

That cop just thought it over, came to the conclusion that he was going to be on Youtube that night and tried his best to salvage the situation. Nobody is honest enough to be a cop.

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Trucker delights America

Sorry but, anyone who carries around a Guy Fawkes mask does not “delight” me – with anything they do.

Pork-Chop on July 2, 2014 at 9:52 PM

The trucker seemed belligerent and the police officer was polite and professional.

cynccook on July 2, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Try that in NY and you’ll be arrested for disorderly conduct or interfering with a police investigation . The police in NY have raided Home Depot for selling pocket knives its a hole different world up here.

gxbhkt on July 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM

cynccook on July 2, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Yes and I’m glad that the cop realized his position was wrong and backed off. That said the trucker could have been a little more gracious. However they are under the microscope 24/7 and it probably seems like everybody in uniform is out to get them. Can lead to a very stressful existence and a skewed outlook. I still say nobody is honest enough to be a cop. That one may actually come close based on what I saw.

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM

cynccook on July 2, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Trucker continues to be a jerk even after the Trooper admits he was wrong.

Bigbullets on July 2, 2014 at 9:50 PM

So what? Being a jerk isn’t against the law. Being belligerent isn’t against the law.

Pork-Chop on July 2, 2014 at 9:52 PM

If that’s all it takes to torpedo your opinion of someone, you need to rethink your standards.

gryphon202 on July 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Don’t you mean to say no one is dishonest enough to be a cop that isn’t one already? It’s been years since I labored under the delusion that policing is honorable.

gryphon202 on July 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM

It could have been worse. At least the cop came around and actually apologized.. whether it was because of the camera or not. He did it. He gave a good apology.

had it been some other cops.. they would have dragged the trucker out of there, regardless of the video, and by the time it was all over.. the trucker could have been dead. Thankfully.. it ended with the cop apologizing.

JellyToast on July 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM

If anybody would have blogged about this, it would have been Mary Hamm. She seems to think digging at the police is all “libertarian” or something. Complains about “baby armies”, you know. It never seems to occur to her that some of this armored stuff is to use in case a guy with two legally owned sniper rifles, an AR-15 and thousands of rounds of ammunition decides to take over his neighborhood. How are they supposed to approach this guy? Just play sniper vs sniper?
And, by the way, there are laws that say it is illegal to use a horn for anything except to warn of an imminent collision is just about every state. So, if someone is driving around your neighborhood constantly honking his horn, disturbing everyone, writing him a ticket is “nonsense.” You think he should be arrested for something else and put in jail?

CL on July 2, 2014 at 10:10 PM

gxbhkt on July 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Back after helping with some hurricane a group of police, firemen and EMS from NY(somewhere upstate) came through Virginia police lights flashing at about 90+mph on one of the interstates. A local sheriff’s deputy pulled them over and asked them to ratchet it down a little. He was verbally abused and threatened by the NY cops. IIRC the county sheriff eventually had to come and threaten to place the whole bunch under arrest if they didn’t calm down. Eventually they went on their way at a more sedate speed without the flashing lights. They seemed to think they were immune from the laws they were sworn to uphold. There was an outpouring of support from the citizens of Virginia for the Sheriff and the deputy and it seems that the NY sheriff called back to let them know that if they ever came through his jurisdiction they’d better be ready for retribution.

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Pork-Chop on July 2, 2014 at 9:52 PM

gryphon202 on July 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM

gryphon, if your linking you standards with occupy anarchist symbols, your the one who should rethink. Jmo

MontanaMmmm on July 2, 2014 at 10:12 PM

CL on July 2, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Most of us here are breathing a sigh of relief that this guy got off without a (near-)fatal beating. That’s not libertarian by any stretch. It’s instinct borne of experience.

gryphon202 on July 2, 2014 at 10:13 PM

MontanaMmmm on July 2, 2014 at 10:12 PM

If that’s the only thing you think of when you see a Guy Fawkes mask, might I suggest some further reading?

gryphon202 on July 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Maybe it is proof of how messed up our country is right now, but I actually do admire the cop for backing down and nearly apologizing for breaking the law. It’s just that common for cops to speed without any sort of reason whatsoever and that common for cops to abuse their power even when filmed.

My sister’s husband was once a cop, and we all knew he sped and that she even got out of tickets just by showing her wallet with his cop picture in it. The whole thing bothered my parents, but since they are adults, my mom didn’t say anything until my sister got pregnant and at that point she politely but sternly told him he wouldn’t be putting her grandchild in danger like that.

Only thing missing from this video is the dashcam video of the cop speeding while on his cell phone. Also, he really quickly changed his tune from “cops can use devices” to, “I didn’t realize I was doing that”.

Good on the trucker. Hopefully more cops will take note. If not, keep the videos coming until they do.

Esthier on July 2, 2014 at 10:18 PM

…he’s not a bad cop!

JugEarsButtHurt on July 2, 2014 at 10:20 PM

…he’s not a bad cop!

JugEarsButtHurt on July 2, 2014 at 10:20 PM

But he is a cop. And ergo, not honorable. Not any more honorable than a politician, anyhow.

gryphon202 on July 2, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Thanks/ gryphon I’m sure these guys read all about it.

MontanaMmmm on July 2, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Esthier on July 2, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I assumed the trucker was bluffing about that … it’s what I would have done (long-time poker player, of course).

ShainS on July 2, 2014 at 10:25 PM

ShainS on July 2, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I don’t think he was bluffing. The video just picked up right at the time the cop arrived at the truck door. Did you notice that the trucker had everything the office requested and answered all questions without hesitation. He had the video.

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 10:28 PM

oscarwilde on July 2, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I wonder if and/or when Citizens Arrest was abolished…

Key West Reader on July 2, 2014 at 10:30 PM

…he’s not a bad cop!

JugEarsButtHurt on July 2, 2014 at 10:20 PM

gryphon202 on July 2, 2014 at 10:21 PM

He is a Cop in a Public Sector Union. He can never be fired. You will have to pay him to quit. Look it up: Public Sector Union DROP program.

/feast

Key West Reader on July 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM

/feast

Key West Reader on July 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM

That’s not the only reason I find policing to be a dishonorable profession, but it’s a significant one.

gryphon202 on July 2, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Yeah, I give police and firemen a lot of latitude to park where they want, break traffic rules when they want, etc. They risk their neck every day. Same with many military, especially those in forward positions. They deserve perks. And vouchers for medical care.

John the Libertarian on July 2, 2014 at 10:45 PM

John the Libertarian on July 2, 2014 at 10:45 PM

So where do you draw the line, John? Do laws against murder not apply to cops? Are cops immune to wrongful death just because they screw up in the line of duty?

gryphon202 on July 2, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Some Risghtists still defending the cops, even in light of an abuse of power.

smh

The vast, vast majority of the cops’ interactions with the public are with generally law-abiding citizens. In my life, almost every brush I have had with the street cop (detectives do the real work) has been bad… and no, I am not a felon.

I’ve had my car broken into, my garage burgled, my 12 yo sent sexts by a coach… they took a report and did nothing. One cop just laughed when I asked what happens next.

Of course, I’ve been pulled for drunk driving when I don’t drink, harassed by a cop who falsely charged me and caused me thousands to defend myself because I was “threatening” him by asking him questions (“Are you threatening me? Are you threatening me!”), and bullied by a cop for handing out leaflets for which I had permission… he demanded my “papers” including ID. Took my name, my place of employment and stood there until I left.

Every school day they hide out by the school in their SUVs, ticketing hundreds in a school year (conservative estimate based on my calculations) of generally law-abiding citizens for going 30 in a 25 school zone (no, I was never ticketed, I just see it every day).

I learned from the show COPS that EVERYTHING is resisting. And that’s what they do with the cameras on.

Bullies with badges. Not all, of course, but far too many.

Here it comes… “wait until you have a burglar threatening your kids. Who are you gonna call!” Well, if I’m allowed to defend myself I will… otherwise, I imagine in Hitler’s Germany and Stalin’s USSR people called the police. That doesn’t legitimize or exonerate the abuses.

/end rant

mankai on July 2, 2014 at 10:53 PM

The cop probably backed off because he didn’t want to be caught on Youtube admitting that he was speeding to buy a Burger King gay burger.

WhatSlushfund on July 2, 2014 at 10:58 PM

John the Libertarian on July 2, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Garbage men work at a job that is above that of a police officer in danger. They perform a very necessary public service every day. What perks would you give them?

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Today there are some 780,000 cops in America.

Since 1791, there have been 21,800 known line of duty deaths in America.

In 223 years there have been about 22K killed in the line of duty… out of millions.

Line of duty deaths 2012:

Police: 125
Construction Workers: 806

Seems like construction workers put their lives on the line a lot more often.

mankai on July 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM

mankai on July 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Cops as a rule don’t make the top ten list of most dangerous professions. Garbage men, as I pointed out about, are by far have a more dangerous job. Don’t even mention farmers or commercial fishermen. Being a police officer may be stressful but let’s face it it ain’t all that dangerous. That “Every stop is a potential life threatening situation” is bogus because every minute of every day is a potential life threatening situation for everybody. Potential is the key word.

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 11:05 PM

ShainS on July 2, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Yeah, I was thinking that was a possibility, at least since it isn’t shown in the video. And even if he wasn’t bluffing, he might have held off on uploading that part of it because he didn’t want to potentially harm the career of a cop who at least ate some crow when confronted.

Still, it would have been nice to see.

Esthier on July 2, 2014 at 11:05 PM

I see nothing about “baby armies” anywhere in this post. If you’re actually quoting her, a reference would be nice so people can see it in context.

Not sure what that has to do with this situation, but to answer your question:

If a guy with two legally owned sniper rifles, an AR-15 and thousands of rounds of ammunition decides to take over his neighborhood, then in the unlikely event that he is not dispatched by another person with two legally owned sniper rifles, an AR-15 and thousands of rounds of ammunition, then I doubt MKH has a problem with the cops taking him down. I’ve never seen her express disapproval of cops taking people like that down with lethal force, so unless you have, it would seem you just like to attack straw men.

If, on the other hand, a guy is alleged to be possessing or producing drugs in his home, but the police don’t have enough evidence, and so they want to do a no knock raid before he can destroy the evidence, then MKH, like many of us, is not going to be especially sympathetic to people arguing that the officers have a legitimate basis for armed intrusions.

CL on July 2, 2014 at 10:10 PM

How about this novel idea? If he is constantly honking his horn, write him a ticket for disturbing the peace. If he is honking his horn a handful of times to alert someone of dangerous behavior, do not write him a ticket. See how easy that was?

RINO in Name Only on July 2, 2014 at 11:09 PM

10 most dangerous jobs in the US.

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM

I will say this for the cop. He had the decency to be embarrassed by his actions. The trucker could have run into one of those morons cops that pull guns on each other, this could have ended very differently.

Theworldisnotenough on July 2, 2014 at 11:15 PM

10 most dangerous jobs in the US.

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Thanks.

I’m tired of being dismissed by the “they put their lives on the line!” argument. It’s also used to justify their pensions, etc. They get exempted from union reforms despite the existence of police unions. Their unions are just as stupid as any public sector union.

mankai on July 2, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Decoder ring says:

We’re trying to find a way to reach into their pockets and grab some of the cash they’re making. For the children.

BobMbx on July 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Both are gentlemen. Well done.

Cindy Munford on July 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Both are gentlemen. Well done.

Cindy Munford on July 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM

But only one is a tool of tyrants.

gryphon202 on July 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM

John the Libertarian on July 2, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Here’s a great story about honest cops.

BobMbx on July 2, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Wow. So this is what it’s like to interact with the police as a white person. Kind of amazing. What do you all ever have to complain about again?

libfreeordie on July 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM

CL on July 2, 2014 at 10:10 PM

ALL HAIL THE STATE. GIVE UNTO IT AND ITS AGENTS ALL THE POWER. THEY CAN DO NO WRONG.

Mary Katharine Ham on July 2, 2014 at 11:44 PM

I call and report police and sheriff’s deputies for speeding all the time. I always get the car number and location and call dispatch and ask if that car was en route to something. And then I describe in great detail how the maniac police drivers were speeding. I’m sick of it. They don’t even obey traffic laws themselves! And most of the time they are NOT answering a call. I make sure that the driver of the car is told of the report. I want them to know we are also watching THEM!!

bluegill on July 2, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on July 2, 2014 at 11:44 PM

SMH. Would have been nice to have seen a respectful, legitimate response from you to CL’s well thought out comment. I hope to see non-snarky responses now and then in the comment section from you in the future. Thank you.

bluegill on July 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM

A horn is there to ward off other drivers from potential danger; it’s not there for telling other drivers how p***ed off you are.

PackerBronco on July 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM

bluegill on July 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM

ALL HAIL BLUEGILL. GIVE UNTO IT AND ITS AGENTS ALL THE POWER. IT CAN DO NO WRONG.

Heh.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 12:02 AM

I wouldn’t recommend somebody doing this but it’s good that it happened. The man should be thankful that he wasn’t dragged out of his truck and beaten/tazed/arrested. Cops get animated when they feel their authority being questioned. Until more true patriots step up and confront the police state they will still pose a serious threat to public safety and individual liberty.

The police state apologists who justify overwhelming military force for imagined threats still confound me. If police are so scared that they need APCs to do their job, they might ought to consider a new profession like interior decorating.

America’s Trucker…I salute you. Not only us soldiers defend liberty, individuals such as yourself are fighting too.

phadedjaded on July 3, 2014 at 12:10 AM

gryphon202 on July 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM

That guy isn’t a European history buff. He’s an Occupy Wall Street/Anonymous sympathizer.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 12:18 AM

What cop wouldn’t wonder why you blew his horn at him?
Cops get A LOT worse than that in IL. Bad attitude truck driver was fortunate the trooper was professional, reasonable, and polite. A rarity.

aquaviva on July 3, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 12:18 AM

The Guy Fawkes imagery in reference to government overthrow is a lot older than Occupy Wall Street or the Anonymous movement.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 12:51 AM

bluegill on July 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM

SMH indeed. The word “troll” gets thrown about so casually these days, but so few ever truly master the art. I don’t think hot air has ever been graced with such unapologetically transparent trolling*. Well, probably Dr. Tesla was better, at least in his prime, before he lost control last August and got himself banned. Once he got the hammer, it was inevitable that bluegill would take the top honor.

*Of course, I’m excluding people on the political left, as they have an unfair advantage. No other class of trolls would ever be able to compete with gems like this:

libfreeordie on July 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM

RINO in Name Only on July 3, 2014 at 12:56 AM

I know many members of law enforcement. I can assure you that not only do they put their lives on the line to save lives, they often do so just to protect peoples’ stuff. IMHO, the actions of a few corrupt police officers do nothing to negate the service of all the others.

cynccook on July 3, 2014 at 1:00 AM

cynccook on July 3, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Oh but they do. How many lives do you think cops can take before policing is no longer considered an honorable profession? What do you consider an acceptable loss of property or life?

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:01 AM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 12:51 AM

So? In the here and now the OWS types are the scum of the earth. Maybe the cop was speeding unnecessarily, it’s possible …but why didn’t the trucker show that footage from his dash-cam? And what do you expect the police to do when you honk at them? They have to, at the least, check out why you’re honking at them, it’s their job. I’m not buying this whole “Trucker delights America” spin, he didn’t delight me.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Then you need to get rid of that broom handle up your ass. I too find OWS to be detestable, and I have had many a debate over whether the ends justify the means that Anonymous cells use. That this guy has a Fawkes mask in his truck as he tells off a cop says absolutely nothing of any substance about his allegiance to either of those groups.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:03 AM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Yes, but I see only lefties using it. I can’t stand it.

Oil Can on July 3, 2014 at 1:04 AM

10 most dangerous jobs in the US.

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Interesting. The stats might be different for cops in democrat-run cities, however.

virgo on July 3, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Yes, but I see only lefties using it. I can’t stand it.

Oil Can on July 3, 2014 at 1:04 AM

A Guy Fawkes mask bothers me no more than a swastika, a symbol much older than the third reich, does. It is the context within which those symbols are used that gives them different meaning now than they had before.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Also, the local officials and cops in Murrieta, CA stopped the busing of illegals into California. I have to be nice to cops for awhile.

Oil Can on July 3, 2014 at 1:10 AM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Thanks for the gratuitous insult of my character. Let me return the favor: you’re delusional, the Guy Fawkes mask means exactly that.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Oil Can on July 3, 2014 at 1:10 AM

I don’t advocate being anything but nice to cops. What I think is foolish is trusting them to protect and serve when that is not even their job to begin with. Joe Friday spent a lot of years blowing smoke up people’s asses.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:11 AM

True story.

I was pulled over once on a remote, rural mountain road (the kind of road drivers shared more with the deer and wild turkeys than with other drivers) for “rolling” through stop sign. I was probably guilty of the offense to some small degree -but in the moment- I wasn’t the least bit conciliatory and I ended up telling the cop that he must not have enough *real* work to do.
An hour or so after leaving with citation in hand, the regretful officer showed up at my house and voided the ticket.

Sometimes it pays to nag a cop.

lynncgb on July 3, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:11 AM

I am making no assumption either way. You are the one making an ass out of u and me, if you know what I mean. But anyway, enjoy your high moral dudgeon while it lasts. I’m sure you’ll start sounding more like an anony-wonk as soon as it’s your oxen being gored. That’s usually how these things end up.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Gryphon, I suspect that you have had a personal experience which leaves you unable to view this topic objectively. Are you suggesting that we abolish law enforcement in this country?

cynccook on July 3, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Sometimes it pays to nag a cop.

lynncgb on July 3, 2014 at 1:11 AM

And sometimes it can get you in even deeper water for something as nebulous as “interfering with a peace officer.” It’s a gamble, really.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:14 AM

cynccook on July 3, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Personal experience? Not really. I was charged with a fairly serious crime once, utilized the services of a public defender, and had the charges dropped due to sloppy police work. That goes in my “shit happens” folder. What infuriates me more than anything is the innocents that get caught in the crossfire — literally. Old men and women, young children, dogs, and upstanding citizens have all ended up DEAD for no reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time with poorly or wrongly trained “peace officers.” I take that a little personally, yeah, knowing that it could be me or one of my loved ones next.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:17 AM

And no, I am not an anarchist. Merely a citizen who believes in the constitution that assumes politicians and peace officers live under the same laws as the rest of us little people. That’s not the way things work now.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:18 AM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:13 AM

I’ve been stopped more than a few times, as have most people, for speeding or for no good reason. They’re usually professional, a couple times they were jerks, but I didn’t escalate the situation by being an ass. Most police are just people like you and me, and while I abhor the growing police state, that doesn’t mean each and every individual cop is a tyrant. This cop clearly is not, and I’m not going to join the chorus of “delight” just because he was caught on tape being …professional.

I suggest you rethink who would bother to carry around a Guy Fawkes mask; consider the context as you say. I guess if it was Halloween, is this tape 8 months old? Naw, you’re still delusional.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:20 AM

John the Libertarian on July 2, 2014 at 10:45 PM

…shoot non-threatening family dogs, etc.

spinach.chin on July 3, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on July 2, 2014 at 11:44 PM

heh

soundingboard on July 3, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:20 AM

How can I be delusional when I merely stated the fact there is no way to know the degree of this guy’s association with or allegiance to the Anonymous movement? I am stating an uncertainty, and for that I am labelled “delusional?” If you need a good proctologist, I can recommend one. Having that stuck up there can’t possibly be comfortable.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Right now, I see local police as revenue generators. And that bugs me. But I what I really fear is the encroachment of federal authority beyond the constitutional limits.

One small example

Why does Michelle Obama get the determine what my kids eat at school? Nobody really seems to care that she this power. This is no major uproar to dislodge her of this power It’s amazing how docile the US population has become.

I just don’t know…will the Republic be destroyed with apathy?

Oil Can on July 3, 2014 at 1:23 AM

In my opinion, the entire justice system in this country could use an overhaul. In my city, for example, police officers are often hired because they satisfy demographic criteria rather than because they are the best candidates for the job. Nonetheless there are many fine, brave and honest officers here, despite there being many reasons for them to be cynical about their jobs.

cynccook on July 3, 2014 at 1:24 AM

I think the only delusions I’m seeing here are people that think it’s a cop’s job “…to protect and serve.” Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is grade-A certified delusional!

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:24 AM

bluegill on July 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM

soundingboard on July 3, 2014 at 1:24 AM

cynccook on July 3, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Those “fine and brave officers” will not testify against corruption that they know to be happening, Cync. The cops in your very town could, for all you know, be running a drug ring. And the so-called “good cops” won’t testify against the dirty ones. I’d put money on it if I were a gambling man. Corruption in police departments is like corruption in political parties: Out of sight, out of mine.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:20 AM

I really hate the tired old “there are good cops and bad cops” canard. There are bad cops, and there are the accommodating brother cops who look the other way when they witness the actions of the bad cops.

spinach.chin on July 3, 2014 at 1:26 AM

spinach.chin on July 3, 2014 at 1:26 AM

THIS!

When our yardstick for good policing is “hasn’t shot anyone in cold blood, what does that say about our society?!

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:27 AM

THIS!

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Agreed.

I used to be a big booster of cops, until I witnessed (on a small scale, on multiple occasions) how the police can completely f^ck you over, and I had virtually no recourse in the matter.

spinach.chin on July 3, 2014 at 1:33 AM

LOL. My friends are neither running a drug ring nor facilitating someone else’s. That’s enough for me. I’m out.

cynccook on July 3, 2014 at 1:34 AM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:22 AM

First you said it said “nothing of substance”, now you’re saying you can’t know “the degree of his association with” the anonymous movement. Care to change your position a little more? And it seems to me you’re the one with a stick up your butt about the police. You seem to assume that because he’s wearing a uniform he must be in favor of Obama’s police state and a petty tyrant. I’m beginning to suspect that you’re denying that the Guy Fawkes mask indicates anything at all because you believe in the OWS movement.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:34 AM

cynccook on July 3, 2014 at 1:34 AM

My point is, you have no way of knowing that. I’m wouldn’t bet money that they are, cause I don’t know. And honestly, I doubt that’s the case. What I do know is that cops don’t EVER testify against each other. It’s so rare as to be a phenomenon, even in small-town departments. They will protect each other even if it means justice denied to someone outside of the department. Each. And. Every. Time.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:36 AM

I’ve also been reading about unjustified shootings by cops over the years (especially dogs), and how, almost without exception, cops get off with ZERO consequences.

Look up “dogs shot by cops” on Facebook. It’s completely out of control.

spinach.chin on July 3, 2014 at 1:37 AM

spinach.chin on July 3, 2014 at 1:26 AM

You have something of a point, but that doesn’t mean this particular cop was behaving badly in this particular instance. And to say that every single cop is a bad actor is silly and unjustified. And it certainly doesn’t mean this truck driver was being anything but a jerk. And if you, like gryphon, think the Guy Fawkes mask doesn’t mean anything, then I don’t know what to say.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:37 AM

spinach.chin on July 3, 2014 at 1:33 AM

If a conservative is a liberal who was mugged, a libertarian is a conservative who was mugged.
By the authorities.

soundingboard on July 3, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:34 AM

Two ways of saying the same thing: I don’t know. You can collect swastika imagery going back to the 10th century AD. That doesn’t make you a nazi. If I had to guess, in all honesty, this particular trucker most likely has some sympathy for Anonymous without being directly involved in the group. But I can’t stress enough, I am guessing at that — as are you. And you are also guessing wrongly as to my view of the OWS movement. No one who would infringe on my freedom, particularly my freedom to do with the fruits of my labor as I wish, is any friend of mine. And that goes double for people who infringe my rights under color of law.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Now you’re kind of putting words into my mouth. I didn’t say a Guy Fawkes mask doesn’t mean anything. What I said was that it doesn’t say anything of substance as to a particular person’s affinity for or involvement with the Anonymous movement.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:42 AM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Get real. I wasn’t going to comment on the swastika thing you brought up earlier, but if you insist. Sure, the swastika is a simple enough geometry that it has been around for millennia (not just the 10th c.). If you’re using it in the context of buddhism or something, fine. But if you’ve got a swastika on some stuff, you think Hitler is maligned by historians, and you hate jews, then there’s about a 99.999% chance you’re a neo-nazi.

And if you’ve got a Guy Fawkes mask on display, and you make a comment that the cop only behaved that way because he was on tape, and there is nobody else using that symbolism in the US, then there’s a 99.999% chance you love OWS. To think anything else is delusional.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:49 AM

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:49 AM

So you don’t believe the cop would have acted any differently had he not known he was on tape, eh? Well that just begs belief, but in the end, you and I have a difference of opinion on that matter. And unlike you, I can handle a simple difference of opinion on this particular matter.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:51 AM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Sure, okay, you said it meant he was probably interested in the real Guy Fawkes, or the holiday in England, or something, and that it didn’t mean he was part of OWS. That’s what I meant, but sloppy writing on my part.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:53 AM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Are you telling me that you’ve never been pulled over and the police behaved professionally?

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:54 AM

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:53 AM

It could have meant just that. That’s not outside the realm of possibility. What I think is more likely is that the trucker has some sympathy for Anonymous without necessarily being directly involved in their activities.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:54 AM

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:54 AM

I don’t drive, so I’ve never been pulled over in a traffic stop at all. As I mentioned upthread, my most direct contact with the police involved serious criminal charges that had to be dropped due to extremely sloppy investigative work on the part of the local constabulary here. That doesn’t infuriate me nearly as much as cops that literally get away with murder simply because they claimed to be acting under color of law. And the “good ones” won’t testify against the corruption, which makes them complicit in it.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 1:37 AM

It’s popular with young people who don’t know any better and think it’s hip.

It doesn’t mean the guy is involved with OWS or is an anarchist.

spinach.chin on July 3, 2014 at 2:02 AM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:57 AM

So what do you think about this cop? Is he a bad cop? He’s a cop, so he must be bad by definition, right?

Look, I’m very upset at the way this country is headed, and the police state is one aspect of that. But I don’t want anarchy, nobody does, even those who think they do. The answer is not to bust the balls of individual police who (in this case) are doing their job professionally, it’s the politicians and the voters who make the laws and incentives for them to behave poorly, and sometimes put them in impossible situations.

There was a case recently I read somewhere (maybe here), I think in Arizona, some female language professor was jaywalking and the police arrested her. She was belligerent, most of it was on tape. If she wasn’t belligerent, she probably would’ve walked away with a warning. Why were the police stopping people for jaywalking anyway? Probably the university told them they had to. Why do schools bust 6 year olds for hugging a classmate or making a finger-gun? Because the schools can’t use reasonable discipline anymore, it’s all or nothing. This country is being run by idiots and lefties, but I repeat myself.

Sure, there are lots of loose cannons in police departments. They ain’t gonna get rid of themselves. That has to be done from above.

And sure, the truck driver maybe hasn’t been to an actual OWS protest, he does have a job after all. Kind of a distinction without a difference as far as i’m concerned.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 2:08 AM

It’s popular with young people who don’t know any better and think it’s hip.

It doesn’t mean the guy is involved with OWS or is an anarchist.

spinach.chin on July 3, 2014 at 2:02 AM

Oh man, so you’re saying he’s an Obama voter. But I shouldn’t get started with someone else, it’s way past my bedtime and I’ve babble too much with gryphon as it is.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 2:12 AM

FWIW here are two comments he posted on a youtube video about an immigration protest:

You said it yourself YOUR ILLEGAL. my forefathers came here legally and if you want in you need to do it the right way. I dont have a problem with immigrants, I have a problem with ILLEGAL aliens.

Where the hell is the INS?? Round em up us truckers will be there in a few days to help ship em back.

Doesn’t sound like OWS to me, lol

spinach.chin on July 3, 2014 at 2:14 AM