Video: Trucker delights America by reprimanding speeding cop and getting away with it

posted at 9:41 pm on July 2, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

I can’t believe he didn’t get hauled off to jail. Which is a really depressing realization to have about one’s free country. But in this clip, which has gotten 4 million views in a week, a trucker gets pulled over by an Illinois State Trooper*. Why? The trooper sped past him well over the speed limit, according to the trucker, on his phone, on a wet road. So, the trucker laid on the horn.

He was then, of course, pulled over for “unlawful use of a horn” or some such nonsense, which is where the video picks up. I want to offer a caveat on this because no one seems to have reported it out and found the truck driver, but it has been posted at Esquire and Road & Track, and it so delighted me, I had to show it to you. The trooper takes the traditional tack with him for a few minutes before the trucker tells him he has him speeding on his dash cam video. The trucker is also obviously extremely sure he’s got all his papers and what-not in order and can withstand scrutiny. He does withstand it, and the lecture he gives this trooper, and the trooper’s cowed response— delicious:

Good for him for backing off once caught instead of doubling down, though one would hope these guys would just consider themselves subject to the same laws as the rest of us in the first place.

*per the YouTube description

In other good freedom of transportation news, Virginia has lifted its ban on Uber and Lyft ride services (which I had been using illicitly):

The CEA [Consumer Electronics Association], which had lobbied against the ban alongside other tech organizations, was first out with a response to the news, even before the official releases have come out. We’ll be reporting more as the story develops.

“We are encouraged by reports that the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is taking steps to allow innovative transportation network providers Uber and Lyft to operate in the Commonwealth,” said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO of the CEA in the release. “As we noted from the moment the DMV issued a ‘cease-and-desist’ order to these companies, denying them the ability to operate in Virginia is anti-consumer, anti-jobs and directly at odds with Virginia’s reputation as a pro-business state.”

Uber and Lyft aren’t totally out of the woods yet. Talks are ongoing about finding a solution to the regulatory issues presented by how the companies operate, but it’s definitely a positive sign for those who are fans of the ride-share app system.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oh man, so you’re saying he’s an Obama voter. But I shouldn’t get started with someone else, it’s way past my bedtime and I’ve babble too much with gryphon as it is.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 2:12 AM

Looks like I was right. The guy sounds more like a tea partier.

spinach.chin on July 3, 2014 at 2:16 AM

So what do you think about this cop? Is he a bad cop? He’s a cop, so he must be bad by definition, right?

Again with the words in my mouth. Policing is not an honorable profession. That doesn’t mean that they all are corrupt, and it doesn’t mean that every last one of them is a danger to every last citizen It means that the vast majority of good cops won’t testify against corruption in the ranks. Silence is tacit permission.

Look, I’m very upset at the way this country is headed, and the police state is one aspect of that. But I don’t want anarchy, nobody does, even those who think they do. The answer is not to bust the balls of individual police who (in this case) are doing their job professionally, it’s the politicians and the voters who make the laws and incentives for them to behave poorly, and sometimes put them in impossible situations.

Police forces do a fine job of putting themselves in “impossible” situations with no-knock raids and trigger happy rookies. Far too many departments make policing far more dangerous than it has to be, and all too often, innocent children and old folks end up bearing the cost of an officer’s irresponsibility.

There was a case recently I read somewhere (maybe here), I think in Arizona, some female language professor was jaywalking and the police arrested her. She was belligerent, most of it was on tape. If she wasn’t belligerent, she probably would’ve walked away with a warning. Why were the police stopping people for jaywalking anyway? Probably the university told them they had to. Why do schools bust 6 year olds for hugging a classmate or making a finger-gun? Because the schools can’t use reasonable discipline anymore, it’s all or nothing. This country is being run by idiots and lefties, but I repeat myself.

Sure, there are lots of loose cannons in police departments. They ain’t gonna get rid of themselves. That has to be done from above.

And sure, the truck driver maybe hasn’t been to an actual OWS protest, he does have a job after all. Kind of a distinction without a difference as far as i’m concerned.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Again, you’re entitled to your opinion. But I don’t think it speaks very well of your reactionary tendancies that the very sight of a Guy Fawkes mask in the cab of a trucker getting lippy with a police officer is enough to make you clench your sphincter. Lighten up, Francis!

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:19 AM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:19 AM

That you resort to what is traditionally a gay slur says more about you than me.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 2:25 AM

Looks like I was right. The guy sounds more like a tea partier.

spinach.chin on July 3, 2014 at 2:16 AM

After spending way too much time tracking down the youtube video and expanding comments looking for that, I’ll have to take your word for it on the comments. At least you’re arguing rationally, unlike gryphon who likes to fantasize about putting sticks up people’s butts.

So, he’s against illegal immigration. True, that’s not an OWS stance, but there’s a lot more to it than that one thing. And even if the policeman isn’t a good guy in other circumstances, all trucker does by needlessly provoking him is to prove that he’s a jerk.

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 2:37 AM

See, this traffic stop could easily have escalated. That is the climate we live in now.

Sherman1864 on July 3, 2014 at 3:09 AM

Plenty of retard to go around here. Thankfully nothing important is happening, besides this squirrel.

Kenosha Kid on July 3, 2014 at 5:30 AM

The cop is a civil servant. But these days not so civil and not much of a servant.

Probably trying fill his quota for budget-stricken Illinois due to dems making things worse under the supreme dem Obama really making things worse.

That’s your trickle down big government in action.

Still, nice to see the trooper is not wearing riot gear and toting a sub machine gun … not quite yet, that is.

But we are heading there.

Sherman1864 on July 3, 2014 at 5:59 AM

This cop isn’t exactly a villain. Lots of really bad arrests and other Bad Cop stories happen every day.

So maybe this is a small victory for the equal enforcement crowd and they do have a point. But I don’t see this as changing the ongoing outrages of SWAT teams run amok, police fascism, huge numbers of people and dogs killed wantonly every year.

So this cop doesn’t seem to be a bad guy. But the trucker does have a point that vehicle DVRs keep cops more honest.

Toocon on July 3, 2014 at 6:41 AM

He honks a horn while 10 kids die in Chicago. Priorities.

CW on July 3, 2014 at 7:19 AM

Every day we all do things a cop could interpret as a violation of some statute. That’s what police states do, they make living life illegal and then use the threat of any charge to keep people silent/obedient. Illegal use of horn (or whatever)? Come on.

The show COPS taught me not only that EVERYTHING is resisting (guy on ground, knee in his back, 4 cops on him, screams as they unnaturally pull his arms back to cuff him, “stop resisting!”), I also learned that the simplistic stop will result in 4-7 charges.

The police are a necessarily evil, but if we had an armed citizenry, we’d have less of a need for GED candidates who have been given carte Blanche to rule our lives.

mankai on July 3, 2014 at 7:46 AM

The guy definitely got the cop. Now, if only all cops could handle it as well as this cop did. I respect the cop for admitting to himself that the trucker was right (even if he refused to accept guilt publicly), and not allowing pride to escalate the situation. Kudos, officer.

Count Mahdrof on July 3, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Yes, there is a disconnect in our society (mostly driven by dumb reporters seizing on dumb issues that suddenly become crisis that dumb politicians have to act on- texting while driving being one).

Yes, it is weird that a human driving a vehicle which contains a radio, a car radio, a computer, a hand radio, a phone and that human is required to not only watch and deal with all that technology, but also keep their eyes peeled for crime happening OUTSIDE the glass windows of said car. (Sound difficult- it is. And almost all bad guys get away with real crime because of it.)

And yes, it is weird society demands that same human being responsible for writing you a ticket for an offense some dumb politician thought had to be passed so he/she could get 2 minutes on the dumb MSM airwaves.

You got it. Guilty. Stupid. Simply ripe for error and embarrassment.

And yes, citizens go around catching said guilty police for violating the same rules they are supposed to enforce on the lesser humans, the mobs, the masses.

So? You want this to go away, not be an issue? Then don’t vote for a stupid politician who comes up with the stupid idea that talking on a phone and driving is a sin, WORSE a crime!! That is where you should focus!

It is so easy to convince most people in our society that the rules being shoved down their throats are valid.

You want to make a point? Protest the politician, challenge him, throw him from office with a sign around his neck saying “I’m with stupid” and arrow pointing up. Laugh in the face of the news reporter and tell them to find a real problem to deal with.

Let the cops alone. I was one for a generation. Trust me on this, we could give a s**t less you are talking on the phone or texting your boyfriend UNTIL you run into something. We are forced to accept that we enforce stupid rules on stupid people who keep electing stupid politicians who pass the stupid laws we are forced to enforce.

Try to stay up.

archer52 on July 3, 2014 at 8:13 AM

The cop was only civil because he was being filmed. If not for that video, that cop absolutely would’ve escalated the situation and if he was lucky, that trucker would’ve had 3-4 tickets, in handcuffs if he’s not. You could see it starting the way the trooper engaged him. Asking how many hours he had, his logs, checking his recent violations and then acting as if he was doing the trucker some big favor by giving him a clean mcs inspection.

Noone wants anarchy, but it’s a strawman argument to say if you don’t allow cops complete discretion to break whatever law they want then you’re demanding anarchy. Why can’t cops just protect and serve? Why must 99.9% of them be power-drunk douchebags? Show me a cop and I’ll bet a year’s salary he or she has used his position to get his friends and family out of charges they rightfully had put on them but has not blinked an eye about piling tickets on some poor out of state schlub because he knew there’s no way the driver would be able to come back and fight the tickets.

smfic on July 3, 2014 at 8:32 AM

If we’re talking about police misconduct, maybe we should review an old case.

KDVR: Denver officer caught driving 143 mph while drunk fired again

He drove 143mph in a 55mph zone drunk. Got fired but was reinstated by the Civil Service Commission. The PD appealed and finally was able to fire him permanently as of February 2013. As with a lot of infamous cases plugged by Teh Interwebs, most people are unaware of the final disposition of the drunk speeding cop.

There is minor police misconduct (like this trucker) and then there is gross police misconduct.

Toocon on July 3, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Glad to see I’m not the only one who was pleasantly surprised by the trooper’s change of heart. Yeah, maybe the recording had something to do with it, or just maybe, he is a good man after all. We’re gonna need more good troopers than bad if/when the poop hits the fan.

Fallon on July 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM

On the main drag I to work one miniscule township has trucks pulled over for inspection, every day, usually trucks with small trailers like landscapers. It’s every single day.

I’m sure they are protecting the driving public and not fishing for revenue by issuing tickets for having mudguards an inch too high, and the like.

They go under the trucks with dollies. How many police departments carry dollies in their cars?

Sometimes they pull them over from behind, but often they are just standing on the shoulder waiting for a truck with a trailer and flag him over as he approaches.

Only a punk could do that for a living. And only a punk would defend that behavior in a free country. Oh wait…

Akzed on July 3, 2014 at 9:31 AM

THAT IS YOUR FOCUS!!!

Somehow tickets were being equated to behavior modification. That modification is being demanded by your political leaders.

Why is gas 3.50 a gallon for so long? Because Obama and his people want to modify your behavior- how much you drive, what kind of car you purchase.

Simple really.

archer52 on July 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM

It wasn’t the recording.

I had something very similar happen one time. I was coming back to Austin from Dallas, was on I35 just north of Georgetown, and up ahead of me in the left hand lane was a cop, doing about 80-85.

So I pulled in behind him at a pretty reasonable distance, and just started following him. And, after about ten miles or so, her pulled into the center lane, slowed way down, so slow that I had to pass him, and then turned on his lights and pulled me over.

He came up and asked me if I had any idea how fast I was going.

“No idea,” I replied, “I was just following you. I figured you’re a cop, and cops can’t break the law, so I was cool.”

“Well, you were going way over the limit.” he told me.

“Then you were too, right?

“Hey, I was out working, catching speeders.”

“But you can’t break the law to enforce the law, can you?”

He gave me a warning.

Which was all he could do. If he’d given me a ticket, he had to assume I’d go tell my story to a judge. Just like this guy would have.

And there’s no way he was going ti let that happen.

Typhoon on July 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Why are police on their cell phones so much? They’re worse than a teenage girl where I live. And it means that when they’re sitting at the front of the line at the intersection and someone clearly runs a red light, they just let it go. Yup, not a care in the world.

You want me to respect your enforcement, then you need to be 1) even-handed, and 2) follow the rules yourself (not just the laws, but the rules about safe driving).

GWB on July 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Thank you, everyone who decided to sh*t on truck drivers. Let me know where you live so I can sh*t in the vegetables I deliver to your distribution centers.

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Coming home on a wet, rainy night, two lanes of traffic, I am on the inside lane next to the concrete median. Two vehicles come up behind me, their lights flashing. They start honking and flashing their brights at me to move over. I could not move over as I was pinned between the concrete wall and an old Chevette. They kept honking and flashing till I passed the other car, at which point they peeled out and roared around me.

But not before I saw “Department of Corrections” on the first van and “Police Department Athletic League” on the second van.

JoseQuinones on July 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Here’s a hint about truckers, boys and girls, actually more than one hint:

Every day, they spend hours protecting your 4-wheeler butts from yourselves. Every day you 4-wheelers risk your lives in order to save fractions of a second on your drive time, and the trucker has to protect you from your idiocy.

Also, and more importantly, unlike regular jobs where the government can insulate itself from the people by blaming companies for federal rule changes, the trucking industry, every single trucker sees the new rules and where they come from.

Truckers, by and large, are Conservative/Libertarian because of the “mug a liberal” truism.

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM

“I honestly wasn’t paying attention to my speed.”

Yet you’ll ticket someone who gives you the same BS excuse. Double standards.

Pale Rider on July 3, 2014 at 10:30 AM

That cop feels just as dumb as you do. When I was working the road I NEVER wrote stupid tickets. You had to earn it. My Sgt would bitch at me for not writing enough tickets. Because he was being bitched at. archer52 on July 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM

So… zey vere only follovink ohdahs…

Akzed on July 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM

You sound a little … peevish. I’m not sure how you protect me every day. Certainly not by driving in the left lane over the bridge/tunnel where I commute, despite the signs requiring you to stay in the right lane. Certainly not by pulling into the center lane of the highway in front of faster traffic, when there’s no one in front of you in the left lane. Certainly not by riding right up on the motorcyclists butt (about 5′) going through the tunnel, because he is driving a steady speed and you feel the need to rush down one side to get up the other. Certainly not when they tip over on on/off-ramps and snarl traffic for hours.

I know some really good truckers. I had a CB in my car when young – it made long trips a lot safer and more enjoyable. I appreciate trucking and most truckers, and I despise the way the government has over-regulated the industry. But try not to get too righteously indignant or you might get it right back.

(Note: I have not read the first page of comments, so don’t know what bashing truckers received. But I took offense at that “I’m saving your life” bullhockey.)

GWB on July 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Get that part where the trooper tells the trucker to stay seated.

Like he sort of wants the trucker to do the opposite.

Like the trucker wants to get out of his seat for a good tasing or worse. The trooper is provoking him.

Give me a break!

Sherman1864 on July 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM

As someone with close family friends who have been and a personal friend who is currently a trucker, I’ll simply say ‘thank you’.

Midas on July 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Akzed- that is a DIRECT result of being pushed by their supervisors who are being pushed by the administration, which is being pushed by the local council and mayor. archer52 on July 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Oh I know, they are only following orders…

Normal people don’t enjoy threatening and cajoling people all day.

I’m sure all the reasonable men got fed up and left that force. There still seems to be no shortage of truck inspectors though, I mean cops, on that force, harassing people who dare to tow a trailer through that township.

Akzed on July 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

“Feel the need to rush down one side to get up the other…”

Ever try to hold back 80,000 pounds with only 10 brake shoes? Nah, you’re holding back 3,000 pounds with 4 brake shoes. Let’s see, 4 tons per shoe vs 750 pounds per shoe… I wonder which is more easily slowed.

Ever try to get up a hill with 80,000 pounds? Nah… Never thought about that. Those trucks going uphill at 25mph when the speed limit is 75… they’re doing all they can do just to reach 25. Never thought of that, either.

But you’re darn ready to pass a trucker on the left, cut in front of him at less than half a second gap (and it takes longer than that for the truck to start slowing down), hit your brakes, take the exit to the right, and be passed by the trucker before you even leave the deceleration lane and go up the ramp, saving yourself absolutely nothing but risking your life and the lives of those around you in the mistaken belief you just saved 10 minutes of drive time! Woohoo!

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM

4-wheelers try to figure ways to say “that accident wasn’t my fault.” Truckers don’t get that chance, when it comes to their jobs. They have to figure out how to resolve the “could you have prevented it, even though it was the 4-wheeler’s fault” question. And if they can’t answer that correctly, they can lose their jobs.

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Fenris on July 3, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Meh. All the links are right there in his profile. Took all of 90 seconds to find.

spinach.chin on July 3, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Oh, and thanks, Midas. I’m not just a trucker, either. I’m a Phase I trainer. I take people who just got their CDLs yesterday and spend 30 days turning them into truckers. And it can have its … interesting … moments, to say the least. But it is very rewarding to turn someone who has no business driving my 127,000 dollar tractor with a 100,000 dollar trailer and 200,000 dollar load into someone who knows what he or she is doing.

Also, I spend 275 dollars a week on insurance alone. I don’t need no idiot 4-wheelers putting my DD15 in their back seats.

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 11:17 AM

2012 freightshaker with 515,000 miles on it, costs 127,000 to buy new, and is a very fuel efficient 7.7 mpg for the last 13 months.

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM

It wasn’t the recording.

Don’t think so. You assume that he will tell the truth when he goes before the judge. I had a similar incident and actually went to court. The officer merely lied. Ticket upheld. Court fees paid.
It is much more difficult to lie when presented with video evidence.

parthos on July 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Hey, MKH, interested in spending 30 days in the jump seat of my truck to learn what it is to be a trucker … strictly as a passenger? I’m making a serious offer. Get in touch with me and we can work out the details. It’ll cost me a lot in lost revenue, but you have the megaphone that I don’t, and it could well be worth it just to get more people to realize how dangerous they actually are when they drive.

Serious offer from an Independent Contractor with a major trucking company.

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Personal experience? Not really. I was charged with a fairly serious crime once, utilized the services of a public defender, and had the charges dropped due to sloppy police work. That goes in my “shit happens” folder. What infuriates me more than anything is the innocents that get caught in the crossfire — literally. Old men and women, young children, dogs, and upstanding citizens have all ended up DEAD for no reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time with poorly or wrongly trained “peace officers.” I take that a little personally, yeah, knowing that it could be me or one of my loved ones next.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:17 AM

What I didn’t see in your statement gryphon is where you stated you never committed this “serious crime.” Must be the retired LEO in me that noticed that. So you hate officers because you got caught and nearly got put away but the “sloppy police work” save you? This caused such fury in you that “stupid cops” caught you?

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Man, calm down.

Akzed on July 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Man, calm down.

Akzed on July 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM

It’s idiots like GWB who think they know something that draw my ire.

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Nah… Never thought about that.

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Yeah, I think you’ve got a HUGE chip on your shoulder. You seem to be all about 4-wheelers vs 18-wheelers. I know a great deal about what you describe in going up and down hills hauling big loads. (BTW, it still doesn’t give someone the right to get 5 feet off that motorcyclists butt when he was doing a reasonable speed and was driving it steadily.) But you see the need to paint all of us as rubes and idiots.

But you’re darn ready to pass a trucker on the left, cut in front of him ….

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I’ve done that only once – when the trucker sped up when I moved to pass him. (Yes, I see people do that crap all the time here – and I keep hoping some trucker won’t brake… but I know it would be lost on the drivers around here as any sort of object lesson.)

4-wheelers try to figure ways ….

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I agree with the liability issue for truckers, but again with the us vs them. You don’t come across here as a man burdened by your profession, but as someone with a very arrogant attitude about “4-wheelers” and a definite holier-than-thou mindset.

PS – I’ve driven bigger loads than you (and in more expensive “rigs”). But, I’ve only driven them short distances – a couple of miles at a time.

GWB on July 3, 2014 at 12:07 PM

It’s idiots like GWB who think they know something that draw my ire.

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM

What makes you the all-knowing king of the road?
You’re using a mighty wide brush to paint your stereotypes.
There’s good and bad all over. So I’ve got news for you King Truck – not all truckers are saints and plenty of us “4 wheelers” have seen the proof. He11, I once got rear-ended by a trucker doing over 50 in a 35 zone in town in heavy traffic – crushed the whole back end of my car and pushed me into 2 other cars.
So climb down out of the cab of your high horse and get a grip on the real world.

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM

There are a few good 4-wheelers out there, and a few well-meaning but still mistaken 4-wheelers. I am appreciative of both groups. But, by and large, 4-wheelers are idiots.

I’ll be magnanimous and let you folks have the last words.

(I hope you have as much fun with that sentence as I had with it. ;) )

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I’ll be magnanimous and let you folks have the last words.

(I hope you have as much fun with that sentence as I had with it. ;) )

John Hitchcock on July 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Well, I’ll have to admit I’ve seen a couple truckers who weren’t self-centered arrogant kings of the road….

You must vote Dem – gawd you’re an arrogant POS.
My guess is you’re also a pathological liar, since you have the same attitude as all the narcissist liars I’ve known.

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I was going to respond to that last comment rather intemperately, but your response cooled me down a bit. Thank you for that.

BTW, Hitchcock, here’s something that you’ve probably never had as much of a problem with as a 4-wheeler: I’ve been in a car hit by a lock ring coming off a trucker’s wheel while it went past. It’s a good thing my mom was already fighting high winds (and the bow wave of the truck) when it hit the back driver’s side tire. It trashed the tire, bent the rim, dented the fender, went up and over a 10 foot high railroad embankment, and was still going across the field beyond (a good 100 yards away) when we got the car stopped.

I’m sure the driver noticed the next time he stopped and walked around his rig. We noticed pretty immediately. We would have noticed even more immediately if it had been about a second later, and even with the front seats.

I’m not blaming anybody (well, except the company that did the wheel work), but mentioning that as a way of showing that there are times when a trucker can be dangerous too – or even more so, because of the size of his vehicle and some of its unique features.

I love to share the road with good drivers (one of many reasons I hate where I currently live) of all stripes, so let’s get back on the road and keep it safe out there.

GWB on July 3, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Truckers can do no wrong…

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 12:43 PM

But officer, I’m a trucker, we never do anything wrong…

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Obviously the cop had it coming since he was just a “four wheeler”…

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Cops should stick to serving and protecting and stop with harassing motorists, which ends up hurting good Americans by ruining their driving records and costing them thousands of dollars in fines and insurance rate increases. Times are tough out there. If you are a cop and you get your rocks off by acting like a big man writing tickets, do us all a favor and turn your badge in.

OxyCon on July 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Nope. I came to the conclusion that police work was dishonorable some years ago when a cop on my local police force shot another cop in the hip in a no-knock raid and was not punished because he was found to have “followed departmental procedures.” Cops don’t ever shoot except to kill, and it was dumb blind luck that no one died. All too often, someone does.

But what I went through? It was due process. That’s why the charges were eventually dropped: Detective Dumbshit thought he could continue questioning me even though I requested a lawyer twice. While I suppose you could argue that experience does necessarily inform my biases, it doesn’t infuriate me as much as it reinforces my pre-existing beliefs.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I understand your biases, but I just don’t agree with your “Policing is not an honorable profession”.
I’ve got my own biases – he11 – I just got a ticket on my way to work this morning, but I can’t really argue about it – I was speeding and I know it, and the cop made a pretty good reduction in what he wrote up to let me off easy – and then 2 miles down the road I passed a multi-car and truck wreck with numerous cops, ambulance and firetruck attending – so I can’t complain too much.

As I indicated earlier about truckers and 4 wheelers, there are good and bad.
I’ve known some very good cops who are very honorable in a difficult and dangerous profession. And I’ve known some dishonest scum as well who are a dishonor to the profession.
I just don’t paint them all with the same broad brush stereotype.

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 1:15 PM

OxyCon on July 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I’m going to disagree, based on where I live. I wish they would write more tickets. I would rather they pull over a driver running a red light and write them a ticket than increase the timing on the lights so I have to sit and wait between green lights – that’s punishing the innocent. I would dearly love to see them enforce the “slower traffic keep right” law. I wish they would pull people over for texting behind the wheel.

As to “ruining their driving records” – if you have enough tickets to ruin your driving record, I can bet you earned them all. If you don’t want a ticket, then don’t break the rules. (Though, around here, it’s more like “don’t break the rules so badly that even Mario Andretti goes ‘dayum!’”)

(On the two occassions in the last dozen years when I’ve been in traffic court, fully 1/2 to 2/3 of the people present were there for Driving Without A License or Driving On A Suspended License. Of those, fully 1/2 were there for a second or subsequent offense. Yes, I hate driving around here.)

GWB on July 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM

GWB on July 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Ya – I don’t have a problem overall with cops writing tickets. I object to the obvious revenue generation activities. And I kinda wish they would do more about things that are really dangerous.

I had a minor debate once with a state trooper (NOT during a stop, just social conversation) where he quoted the usual “speed kills”. My argument was – no it’s not the speed itself that kills; it’s speed differential, how fast or slow and in what circumstances – basically it’s doing something really stupid, like going 90 on the shoulder to pass stop and go traffic, running red lights, texting while swerving headon into oncoming traffic, and such.
I can do 100 on an empty highway and nobody will get hurt.
On the other hand, if I slowed down to 20 in the left lane of a 75 zone there WILL be a wreck and someone WILL get hurt.

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I can do 100 on an empty highway and nobody will get hurt.

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM

That’s not entirely true. If you blow out a tire at 100, it’s harder to control than if it happens at 60, and so on. But you are generally correct.

What really kills is inability or inattention to control of the vehicle. If your reflexes or the car’s control mechanisms can’t handle 100mph, then you’re going to eventually crash. If you have one hand on your phone and another on your cigarette when the truck in front of you shreds a tire and it hits your car, there’s going to be a crash. If you pull out in front of someone doing 30mph faster than you, you might get hit.

My biggest complaint – and yes my flight schooling probably impacts this – is that the vast majority of people that I see behind the wheel of their vehicle every day are passengers, not drivers (even if their hands are on the wheel). They aren’t in control of their vehicle. They just happen to be lucky that nothing has happened to challenge their vehicle in a meaningful way, so it goes merrily along like the unguided missile it is.

GWB on July 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Keep painting your “masterpiece” with a broad brush. You are making yourself look like a freshman in high school with your broad strokes. Accidental shootings happen. Not sure if anyone ever notified you, but police officers are Human and will make mistakes. Just like other Humans.

You had a problem with what seems like one officer. Your hatred is easy for all to see except for yourself. That is exactly why you feel the way you do.

You still have not denied you committed the crime you got off on. Speaks volumes about you, not all police officers.

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM

GWB on July 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Pretty much.
I saw a guy a few years ago, trying to make a left turn from a light, right next to me (parallel double left turn lanes) – he had a cigarette in one hand, a coffee cup in the other, and a stick shift….

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM

As I indicated earlier about truckers and 4 wheelers, there are good and bad.
I just don’t paint them all with the same broad brush stereotype.

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 1:15 PM

There are good and bad cops too. But when the good cops don’t testify against the bad cops because of some ineffable “blue wall of silence,” are they really good? I don’t paint them all with the same broad brush sterotype either. I see example after example proving me right on a near-weekly basis. And those are just the instances of death or dismemberment of innocents at the hands of cops that make it into the news. Pretending it isn’t so won’t make the problem go away.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Yup.

I’ve had my share of tickets in almost 40 years of driving – and I deserved all of them; except for one that I fought in court and won. And I see the news of no-knock raids and other situations gone bad – but that doesn’t make me hate all cops.

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Oh yeah. Every week here, I see someone make a left turn from a light – from the right lane. Or vice versa. Or go straight across the intersection from the turn lane when both directions have green arrows. But, only some of them have both hands full (of something other than the wheel).

One of the reasons I advocate for no mandatory seatbelt use is to provide *some* chance that the worst drivers will self-eliminate.

In case I haven’t previously said it – kudos to the trucker here. It is becoming more frequent that police officers need a schooling from their fellow citizens. Police should not be above the law.

(With that, I am out of here!)

GWB on July 3, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I’m not talking about accidental shootings, Butch. I believe there is such a thing as “awful but lawful.” I’m talking about wrong-address no-knock raids for non-violent crimes by militarized police forces that result in the deaths people that can not even be considered legally proximate to a corpus delicti.

I’m talking about the cops who kneeled on a guy after his wife slapped their daughter, killing him while his wife and daughter looked on in the parking lot of a movie theater.

I’m talking about family pets that get shot from more than 30 yards away because a cop feels “threatened,” when video evidence puts into serious reasonable doubt that there was a threat at all.

And then the “good cops” who look the other way and won’t testify. Because if it happens in the line of duty, if it happens under color of law, it can’t be “murder.” It can’t be “theft.” Can it? I think it can. Police officers acting under color of law have a higher moral burden to follow that law precisely because of the power they wield that comes with a badge.

You can make all the ad hominem attacks on me you want, but that doesn’t change the fact that all too often, “cop killers” are cops who happen to be killers. Joe Friday is dead.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Yup.

dentarthurdent on July 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM

It doesn’t make me hate all cops either. It makes me believe that policing is not an honorable profession. Just like I don’t believe lawyering is an honorable profession. Just like I don’t believe politics is an honorable profession. If you get “I hate all cops” out of “policing is not an honorable profession,” then your misunderstanding is your problem, not mine.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:19 PM

This is what your tax dollars are paying for, citizens.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Good thing the dude in a plastic storm trooper costume didn’t get shot, eh?

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:24 PM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Speaking of ad hominem, have you read all your posts on this subject? I’m guessing you really don’t understand what that word means.

You still have not denied you committed the “serious crime” you got off on. I find that interesting.

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM

In all honesty, sometimes I wish I could go back and clear my name definitively in a trial. It damaged a few friendships, and I was definitely slandered, but I never could prove that my ex was lying maliciously.

And where have I made an ad hominem attack here? My thesis is that policing is a dishonorable profession, and it is my character being attacked, not yours.

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM

But whatevs. You wanna keep believing that I hate police officers because the blue wall of silence infuriates me, you go right ahead.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I mean, at what point do you say that the cops aren’t our friends? Hell, they have been held harmless by courts for their very failure to protect and serve. That’s not even their job! Their job is to aid in the prosecution of crimes that have occurred. Even I can’t argue that in that capacity, many of them do a fine job. Nevertheless, a few good eggs don’t turn a dishonorable profession into an honorable one.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:39 PM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:30 PM

It is clear to all where your hatred stems from. All of your posts are ad hominems attacks on all police officers. You clearly are delusional if you think other police officer don’t speak up nor testify against other police officers. I know for a fact they do, often.

Now I will agree that when an officer abuses his/her power it is something all of us know and have seen. I despise dirty officers. I’ve always have. These officer tarnish all of us in the public’s eye. Your hatred posts prove that.

I was a 3rd generation officer. My grandfather has not been around in many decades, but we both shared the same disgust for dirty officers. My uncle has the same attitude as we did/do.

That said, you really should go read all of your ad hominems attacks on all officers. However, I think your blind hatred will never allow you to see exactly what I’m saying.

Sorry you had a bad experience. But there are far more great officers than there are bad ones.

You just are too blind to admit that.

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 2:41 PM

You just are too blind to admit that.

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 2:41 PM

You have yet to address my question: If the good officers won’t aid in the prosecution of the criminals, how can they be considered good officers?

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Your premise is wrong.

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 2:57 PM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Your premise is wrong.

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Dismissal out-of-hand. Another debating tactic that would get you eaten alive by the Oxford Club sharks. Instead of argumentum ad assertum, how about you tell me why you believe I’m wrong?

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM

No your blind hatred is making you blind to your false premise.

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM

No your blind hatred is making you blind to your false premise.

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM

So whether you won’t mount a counter-argument or you can’t, you haven’t. I hate cops (which is not true). Therefore my opinion is necessarily wrong. I guess your debating skills speak for themselves.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Your sophomoric debate tactics crack me up. One day you will grow up and realize what your hatred has done to you. My suggestion is to take off your blinders.

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Conservative4Ever on July 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a “conservative” who makes excuse for the police state. This is why America is well-and-truly screwed.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2014 at 3:22 PM