Rush goes full RINO: Let’s face it, yesterday’s soccer match was “enjoyable”

posted at 7:41 pm on July 2, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via Politico and the Daily Rushbo, today he’s saying this, tomorrow he’ll be endorsing the North American Union. And then, before you know it, conservatism will have been defined so far down that even atheists who support gay marriage can sneak inside the tent. Where does it end?

The game was enjoyable, though, wasn’t it? The last 10 minutes of extra time, when the U.S. had a few fair shots at tying it, were electric. And Tim Howard was so rad, he had the Secretary of Defense calling him up today for the obligatory reflected-glory photo op, replete with a soccer ball awkwardly and implausibly in frame for easy visual reference. There’s no shame in enjoying the World Cup. But how do you enjoy the sport when it’s been drained of the manufactured pressures that inflate the drama this month — nationalism, instant elimination, the world’s best players competing in a quadrennial event? How do I go from this to caring how the New York Red Bulls are doing in MLS on any given day? And if the answer is “Watch the Champions League,” how do I get myself to care whether Barcelona beats Bayern Munich or Bayern Munich beats Barcelona?

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says it’s a lost cause:

Is there something fundamentally different about watching soccer that turns people away by the millions? Apparently so. For one thing, there’s a lot of movement but not much action. American audiences see people kicking the ball to a teammate, only to have it intercepted by the other team. A lot. To the average American used to the hustle of basketball, the clash of titans in football, the suspense of the curve ball in baseball, or the thrilling crack of the slapshot in hockey, the endless meandering back and forth across the soccer field looks less like strategy and more like random luck. It lacks drama. Of course, that’s not true at all, but that is certainly the perception.

Why aren’t those millions of youth soccer players since 1974 watching? Perhaps another perception is that it is a kid’s game. Kids get to run around, kick something, and generally wear themselves out to the gratitude of parents. Parents who dutifully and diligently attend their kids’ games don’t seem inclined to tune in to professionals on TV.

Lots of truth to that. He thinks the fact that the games are low-scoring is problematic too, but baseball’s also low-scoring and dominated American sports for decades. The main obstacles, I think, are the “meandering,” the fact that MLS is JV compared to the European leagues, and the sense that any game as old as this that hasn’t taken root in the U.S. yet will never truly be an “American” game. That’s one of the reasons righties were snickering at Chris Hayes’s little soccer lesson yesterday. An evergreen suspicion among soccer skeptics is that soccer evangelists like the sport partly because it’s not an American game, because, a la Hayes, the U.S. can’t assert its dominance willy nilly like it can in, er — remind me again of a sport in which the U.S. routinely asserts its dominance. (Did you watch post-Dream Team Olympics basketball, Chris?) Ah well. I think he meant “in countries like Iraq,” not any sport. There’s a pro-soccer mentality for you.

Two clips for you here, one of the new RINO-in-chief and the other of soccer’s foremost true-conservative critic. (Who’s offering her criticism live from the star-spangled red-state streets of Paris, France.) And here’s the poll Rush mentions showing that soccer fandom is higher, slightly, among self-identified liberals than it is among conservatives. Maybe that’s the Hayes effect at work, i.e. lefties are more internationally-oriented in most things, sports included, but I think there’s a demographic component too. World Cup interest is notably higher among Latinos than it is among blacks and whites and Latinos, of course, tend to identify more often as left than as right. That may be what’s driving the liberal numbers.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

*the least smart, that is (for baseball and football)

bluegill on July 2, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Jaibones on July 2, 2014 at 8:49 PM

LOL!!!!

Cindy Munford on July 2, 2014 at 8:50 PM

They could have written computer code using soccer scores.

CW on July 2, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Steve Z on July 2, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Soccer solution. Do away with the off sides – and insert a 40-second shot clock. Then you’ve got a game. Just enough time to get from one end of the field to the other – and fire away.

TarheelBen on July 2, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Whatever the reasons, 1930 was a ridiculous year for offense.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2014 at 8:44 PM

I’m convinced MLB juices the balls to drive attendance. And lately, it isn’t just the balls that get juiced. I wish the commish would start handing out asterisks.

BobMbx on July 2, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Is it because the us simply isn’t any good at it, and that makes you insecure? Is it because you just don’t like fun and good times? idk

triple on July 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Heh. If we were not playing the real sports then we’d be playing soccer and owning the world.

CW on July 2, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Whatever the reasons, 1930 was a ridiculous year for offense.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Ultimately it’s difficult to compare one era to another because rule changes in baseball have such a dramatic effect on the game. When platoon pitching started to take hold hitting and run scoring took a nosedive. In 1969 they lowered the mound because pitching had become so dominant, and offense went back up. Then there are steroids, which turned the game into a joke, unfortunately.

NotCoach on July 2, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Do soccer teams have names and are any of them offensive?

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I generally don’t bother reading the idiotic sh1t soccer haters write, because I don’t really care, and it’s idiotic sh1t. And Allah is probably right and the idiots are suggesting that somehow enjoying soccer is for RINOs and sissies or something?

Jaibones on July 2, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Butt hurt? Kleenex?

CW on July 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Do soccer teams have names and are any of them offensive?

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Too liberal. They have names like the Crew.

CW on July 2, 2014 at 8:54 PM

TarheelBen on July 2, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Years ago I heard a suggestion that the number of shots on goal should count in the score. I would assume a goal would count for more points than a shot a goal.

CW on July 2, 2014 at 8:55 PM

In college, some of the smartest student athletes were soccer players, while the ones known to be at least smart were baseball and football players.

bluegill on July 2, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Yes, they’re at least smart. They also play an awesome sport. :)

Any evidence for this ridiculous claim? Baseball is a very cerebral game and draws in a lot of bright individuals. Chris Young and Ross Ohlendorf went to Princeton, Mike Mussina was a Stanford guy, and Craig Breslow went to Yale.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Do soccer teams have names and are any of them offensive?

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Soccer frowns on anything offensive.

Flange on July 2, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Do soccer teams have names and are any of them offensive?

Oldnuke on July 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM

If I had a French soccer team I would name it the Surrender Monkeys, or Maginot Line. And I’d hire an announcer who would say that the team was blitzkrieged again after every loss (which would be every game).

NotCoach on July 2, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Too liberal. They have names like the Crew.

CW on July 2, 2014 at 8:54 PM

United

Soccer is the only part of progressiveness that actually sweats.

BobMbx on July 2, 2014 at 8:56 PM

BobMbx on July 2, 2014 at 8:52 PM

It’s certainly a possibility. Steroids alone simply cannot account for the offensive numbers from the late 90′s and early 00′s. A “juiced ball” to bring people back after the strike makes a lot of sense.

Offense is back down, though; baseball in 2014 is a pitcher’s game, no doubt about it. Strikeouts continue to be at a record high.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Baseball, a slow, boring game for old farts, is on the decline.

Soccer is on the rise.

Eventually soccer will eclipse baseball in this country.

bluegill on July 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Median attendance for a MLB game is 30,514. There are 30 teams playing each other which means a fifteen game set for 162 game season, not including the post-season.

Do the math you ridiculous half-wit.

And I’d estimate the average age of the sell-out crowd I was part of Sunday at about 26 or 27.

M240H on July 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM

bluegill on July 2, 2014 at 8:47 PM

But how long did they stay smart, after deliberately having balls hit them in the head after 60 yards in the air (such as a goal kick)? Over a 10- or 15-year soccer career, that might do some serious brain damage.

Steve Z on July 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM

NotCoach on July 2, 2014 at 8:56 PM

A) I don’t believe you can make a verb out of blitzkrieg.

2) You mock the French soccer team, but they are usually excellent, and you’re probably a Cleveland Browns fan or a Cubs fan or something pathetic.

Don’t start with me, NotCoach.

Jaibones on July 2, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Butt hurt? Kleenex?

CW on July 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Nope; all good.

Jaibones on July 2, 2014 at 9:02 PM

to be at least smart

bluegill on July 2, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Thank you.

CW on July 2, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Soccer is only enjoyable if its your nation that is participating.

Come on, you know I’m right.

Just like US Gymnastics. Who really watches it unless its at the Olympics?

portlandon on July 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Agree, I watched 3 games and all were USA vs others. I can’t bring myself to watch gymnastics, ice skating and synchronized swimming but usually watch Olympic events that have a level of danger.

tej on July 2, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2014 at 8:58 PM

One big non-steroid change is the hitters all seem to be swinging for the fences every at bat. And they don’t let up with 2 strikes either. Instead of just trying to get it into play they’re taking full cuts. You almost never see someone choke up on the bat any more. Plus the pitchers are all throwing low to mid 90′s now and provide extra power for the hitters.

Flange on July 2, 2014 at 9:03 PM

A) I don’t believe you can make a verb out of blitzkrieg.

Don’t start with me, NotCoach.

Jaibones on July 2, 2014 at 9:00 PM

I’m a Lions fan. And I would turn blitzkrieg into a verb if I owned a French soccer team.

NotCoach on July 2, 2014 at 9:03 PM

bluegill on July 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Please do tell me the racial make-up of the 600+ baseball players. Show me how “smart” you are.

CW on July 2, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Soccer’s awesome…when you’re having insomnia. Does wonders. ☺

CW on July 2, 2014 at 9:05 PM

tej on July 2, 2014 at 9:02 PM

What I don’t like about those types of sports is their subjective nature. I admit that those who do them are some of the most athletic people around, but I just can not get past the subjective scoring system.

NotCoach on July 2, 2014 at 9:05 PM

bluegill on July 2, 2014 at 8:47 PM

You meant to write “least smart”, but you really should have written “dumbest”, genius. In any event, STFU already about your love of soccer. No one cares.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 2, 2014 at 9:05 PM

bluegill on July 2, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Do yourself a favor. Listen to the starting lineup when Notre Dame plays, oh….Nebraska (I don’t think they do, but anyway).

“Now for the starting lineup for the Fighting Irish….number 72, defensive nose guard Senior Bill Smith, pre-med….number 98, defensive lineman Gary Brown, junior, he’s an engineering major studying quantum physics……”

“Now the starting lineup for the Cornhuskers…number 27 wide receiver, Antoine Bfume, 5th year senior, number 55 middle linebacker Shellac Hardcoat, freshman, you know, this kid is a real hardluck story..now that he’s out of prison he can become the player we all know he can be…..”

BobMbx on July 2, 2014 at 9:06 PM

NotCoach on July 2, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I’m sorry, NotCoach. If I had known the pain you’ve suffered as a Lions fan … but how could I know?

I would lash out, too.

Jaibones on July 2, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Soccer games are for spectators who enjoy being able to take a dump any time during the game and know they’re not going to miss anything.

Bishop on July 2, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I never got why conservatives made a point to hate soccer.

triple on July 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Don’t hate it. Just not interested in a sport when watching the game the fans are the most entertaining part of it.

wifarmboy on July 2, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I just can not get past the subjective scoring system.

NotCoach on July 2, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Wait…what? The ball goes in…you get a point. The ball does not go in…you don’t get a point? No three point shots, no arbitrary time limits, and the same crap that every guy who ever had to defend against Michael Jordan bitches about … ticky tack fouls that can affect the outcome of a game.

Refs are not the problem with soccer.

Jaibones on July 2, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Flange on July 2, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Yeah, also 7 man bullpens are the norm now (some even carry 8) so you get more platoon match-ups, and relievers nowadays have often been groomed since their HS days to be closers/set-up guys so they throw high 90′s with no let-up, unlike high-velocity starters like Justin Verlander who often need to tamp it down a touch because they’re going 110 pitches. And strikeouts aren’t seen as “embarrassing” anymore for the most part, so it’s no wonder K rates are skyrocketing.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I’m surprised the Euros haven’t moved on to Super-Soccer, yet. Not only can’t you use your hands, but all the players are blindfolded, too. Nothing but legs! It’s really hysterical to watch.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 2, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Go check the MLS standings. Check out how many teams have tied about 1/3 of their games.

bluegill on July 2, 2014 at 8:47 PM

At my college, some of the smartest student athletes were football and baseball players soccer players, while the ones known to be the least smart were soccer players( and people with fish names).

CW on July 2, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Don’t start with me, NotCoach.

Jaibones on July 2, 2014 at 9:00 PM

I’m a Browns fan, and if we had every American-born NFL player on our team, I think even we could manage to win a championship or two.

No guarantee, though. We are sort of known for screwing things up.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2014 at 9:14 PM

MLS standings

Chuckle. Draws are soooo much fun.

No guarantee, though. We are sort of known for screwing things up.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Josh Gordon

CW on July 2, 2014 at 9:18 PM

No guarantee, though.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2014 at 9:14 PM

There is some legitimate reason for doubt, here. Be that as it may, the US World Cup team is no different than the Olympic basketball team or hockey team. They are competing against the best players from other countries, most of whom are sending not just their best soccer team, but many of their best athletes, period.

That has not been the case in the U.S., and anyone who watched the loss to Belgium would probably agree. We are blessed with an enormous professional sports industry and lots of ways for great athletes to make money.

Jaibones on July 2, 2014 at 9:21 PM

We are sort of known for screwing things up.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Meanwhile, I hear Johnny Manziel is hanging around with that little Bieber clown.

Jaibones on July 2, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Your typical good MLS team scores about 1.5 goals per game.

CW on July 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM

I never got why conservatives made a point to hate soccer.

triple on July 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I never got why liberals are so taken in by it.

Is it because the US simply isn’t any good at it, and that makes you feel good? Is it because you just don’t like sports that the US is good at? idk

See how dumb your post is?

lorien1973 on July 2, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Sorry likely closer to 2.5 goals or so.

CW on July 2, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Baseball is declining in the US because it’s boring. Soccer -is- boring. There’s a reason basketball and football are better games. Things, you know, happen.

lorien1973 on July 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Baseball, a slow, boring game for old farts, is on the decline.

Soccer is on the rise.

Eventually soccer will eclipse baseball in this country.

bluegill on July 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM

My son, who is now 28, played soccer from when he was in kindergarten through U-18 Premier travel. The only time he follows soccer now is during the World Cup. But he closely follows the Tigers, Lions and Red Wings. He did Russia-Sweden in the 1994 World Cup at the Silverdome.

If you don’t have a kid on the field or the World Cup isn’t being played, soccer isn’t that exciting (and I have seen over 250 games). If American Football ever goes away, it will be replaced by lacrosse.

bw222 on July 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Sorry likely closer to 2.5 goals or so.

CW on July 2, 2014 at 9:25 PM

The math at this page says otherwise:

GP 16 Goals 22
GP 16 Goals 22
GP 15 Goals 22
GP 12 Goals 17
GP 16 Goals 24

The best team (scoring wise) is 1.5 GPG. The worst is like 1.3? I don’t even care enough to do the math :P

I played soccer growing up and it’s fun to play. Bad to watch. Some games are like that. It’s okay that they are too.

lorien1973 on July 2, 2014 at 9:29 PM

If American Football ever goes away, it will be replaced by lacrosse.

bw222 on July 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM

It is, we are watching the last 10 or so years of professional football.

lorien1973 on July 2, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Baseball is declining in the US because it’s boring.

lorien1973 on July 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM

In 1995, MLB revenues were $1.4 billion, or over $2.2 billion when accounting for inflation. Since that time, gross revenues for the league have grown a staggering 264 percent in 18 years.

Been hearing about the “decline of baseball” for decades, now. Doesn’t seem to ever come, though.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2014 at 9:42 PM

At my office today we discussed the most important question for the internet to decide:

If Chuck Norris kicked a soccer ball, at a goal guarded by Tim Howard, would the world explode?

Sackett on July 2, 2014 at 9:52 PM

even atheists who support gay marriage can sneak inside the tent.

Snark

Jedditelol on July 2, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2014 at 9:42 PM

About 5 years ago I was visiting some friends in California, one grew up skateboarding the other skated but is also a die hard baseball fan. We were at a park and they admiring this really nice skateboard area with everything a skater could want. It was a beautiful day, but the skating area was empty. Eventually my skater friend asks where are all the kids, to which I replied “over there” as I pointed to the 4 baseball diamonds that were full with teams waiting to play at each one. That’s 16 teams of kids for baseball.

Flange on July 2, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Still unable to care a whit about soccer.

Lolo on July 2, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Sackett on July 2, 2014 at 9:52 PM

If the game was on the line I don’t see why Chuck Norris would have a problem, Portugal, Germany and Belgium didn’t.

Flange on July 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Soccer haters…bless their hearts!

Christien on July 2, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Tim Howard’s high school senior yearbook quote:

“It will take a nation of millions to hold me back.”

Christien on July 2, 2014 at 10:23 PM

bluegill on July 2, 2014 at 8:47 PM

…I think you’re lying…frank.

JugEarsButtHurt on July 2, 2014 at 10:25 PM

And that insistence on calling it football even though the word has an entirely different meaning in the US and that soccer isn’t even a word invented by Americans but rather a legit name for the sport.

Plus his delivery… do liberals really like to be condescended to like this or do they just assume none of it is aimed at them and simply enjoy feeling superior to everyone else? Yes, I know. It’s rhetorical.

Esthier on July 2, 2014 at 10:37 PM

When I was a kid my little brothers and I would take the streetcar to the other side of town to Forbes Field to the Pirate game. But that was when it was safe to go there and it was affordable and we had a team. Now most people go once a year and it costs an arm and a leg. I haven’t been to a Dayton Dragons game but they have a lot of fans and just watching the sports report it looks a lot like it used to be to go to a major league game.

crankyoldlady on July 2, 2014 at 10:40 PM

One of the great things about soccer is that it rubs all the right people the wrong way.

*magic spray*

Christien on July 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Football would have died a long time ago if it weren’t for Chuck Noll and color tv. Noll took a bunch of fat, lazy Steelers and turned them into a real team. Anybody who lived through the 70′s knows what the Steelers did. Noll told them the first day most of them wouldn’t still be there the next year. He made the team into the hard hitting team that took all those super bowls. In a few years the other teams caught up. Football was good back then.

crankyoldlady on July 2, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Football will never go away. The media will never let it. Someone needs to link the Late George Carlin Baseball verses Football rift. So true. I watch football. I listen to baseball. Summer is just not summer without it in the background.

Whiterock on July 2, 2014 at 11:05 PM

*magic spray*

Christien on July 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Cause it’s crazy boring? It seriously barely ranks above golf or 6 hour live chess tournaments.

Esthier on July 2, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Esthier on July 2, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I like to wATCH GOLF.

crankyoldlady on July 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Like watching paint dry.

Americans will never take to a game that can end in a tie but nobody really knows when it will end.

BacaDog on July 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Ice hockey was better when regular-season games could end in a tie. A more accurate ending than those stupid shootouts. Shootouts bite it in field hockey, ice hockey, AND soccer.

bmmg39 on July 2, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Soccer is a great game to play. It should be played often and everywhere.

It just should not be watched, because watching it sucks.

Meremortal on July 2, 2014 at 11:37 PM

You don’t. I am a sports fan and patriotic and I follow soccer exclusively from the national perspective. So I do not watch professional soccer regularly. I do watch the occasional game between powerhouse clubs if only to better understand the game and America’s future competition, but I cannot watch the Westminster Blizenblatz vs. Reading Sun Kings FC…

The only thing that will mainstream soccer is a Jordan, or Bo Jackson like figure. If Jozy Altidore scores 30 goals next season and Nike signs him then soccer becomes more popular in the US. There is a youth program being run by MLS clubs and in a few years it will become watchable.

Theworldisnotenough on July 2, 2014 at 11:40 PM

I have to say I have been around Hotair for a long, long time and I do not remember this reaction for the last World Cup. Lets face it soccer, as a national sport, has arrived.

Theworldisnotenough on July 2, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Rush goes full RINO: Let’s face it, yesterday’s soccer match was “enjoyable”
POSTED AT 7:41 PM ON JULY 2, 2014 BY ALLAHPUNDIT

Oh please. The two most vocal critics of soccer this past week has been Ann Coulter (Pathetic Christie RINO) and Keith Olbermann (Marxist/baseball fan).

Rush is right. True conservatives can enjoy soccer. While the fan-base has historically been Latinos, that is rapidly changing. And unlike the inner-city Democrats who play basketball, thugs who play football and imported Canadians who play hockey, Republican suburbia is ground zero for the growth of US soccer.

Norwegian on July 2, 2014 at 11:45 PM

The World Cup is kinda like the Olympics… cool every 4 years (well, there’s some kind of Olympics every 2 years now, since they put summer and winter on different cycles) … but out of sight the rest of the time.
Can you imagine waiting 4 years to crown a World Series champion? A Super Bore winner? A Stanley Cup titlist? No.

either orr on July 3, 2014 at 12:08 AM

I don’t care about soccer, but it has absolutely nothing to do with politics. That’s such an idiotic thing to do, lump people in as one or another based on whether or not they like or dislike the game.

AP just got his jollies taking a stab at conservatives, of which he is not one apparently.

That’s ok, I’ll keep stabbing away at the idiotic beta male rinos any time I get the chance.

Hey, perhaps Burger King should rename their homosexually ‘proud’ burger… the RINO burger. AP will approve and probably wallpaper his bedroom with the new wrapper.

Diluculo on July 3, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Only Tim Howard can save America from soccer.

Christien on July 3, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Rush is a great radio jock but not a very good campaign tactician.

cimbri on July 3, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Love Soccer, loved to play it love to watch it and I have not one single ounce of my body liberal, hell no.

If anything I take heart in the uniqueness and power of America that nation who only 30% of population has an interest in the sport can go so far and be included among the 16 best in that sport.

The idiot from MSNBC misses the point, its not about knowing our limits but the proof of the indomitable American spirit.

Knives78 on July 3, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Ann Kookturd hates soccer. Which means she hates Team USA, which means she hates America. But she loves Mitt Romney for President in 2016. Traitor.

Brock Robamney on July 3, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Offsides in soccer is a rule that is meant to level the playing field, and give lesser teams a reasonable chance to succeed.

Also known as “fairness”. A truly liberal-socialist tenet.

BobMbx on July 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM

So you hate Football and Hockey too? An offrnsive or defensive lineman having his nose an inch over the ball and “poof!” OFFSIDES!”UNFAIR ADVANTAGE!”

Likewise, Hockeys offsides rule is similar to Soccers.

Try putting in a little thought next time.

BierManVA on July 3, 2014 at 6:12 AM

Here’s the secret for non-Spanish speaking Americans watching “futbol”. Find a Spanish broadcast. Leave it on while you surf or work. Let the rhythm and cadence of the announcers drone in the background. When something is about to happen, or just happened, you’ll know instantly by the increased pitch and cadence. Look up and catch a few meaningful seconds of action before returning to 20 minutes of droning.

Count Mahdrof on July 3, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Theworldisnotenough on July 2, 2014 at 11:43 PM

So has the Obama Administration, neither are anything to celebrate.

ebrown2 on July 3, 2014 at 8:06 AM

We played soccer in jr high school so it’s been around in the USA for a long time. It’s a kids game just like kickball, is why it never caught on for adults/pro teams.

Kissmygrits on July 3, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I still think soccer would be more exciting if they released a bull on the field. That would liven things up quite a bit. Soccer with a little Pamplona, running with the bulls added in.

TarheelBen on July 2, 2014 at 7:56 PM

There’s already enough bull associated with the game.

ebrown2 on July 3, 2014 at 8:14 AM

I love playing and watching soccer but it ridiculous to connect the political background of sports fans to their sports preferences.

My favorites to watch are, in order (favorite teams in parentheses):

1) NFL Football (Ravens)
2) Major League Baseball (Orioles)
3) Pro Soccer (Everton, but I enjoy all Premier League games)
4) College Lacrosse (Maryland)

Thats it. If I never saw another professional Hockey game or any level of Basketball again it wouldn’t bother me at all. Does that make me “Liberal”? Hell no, and its stupid to insult anyone because they like a different sport than you do!

ManWithNoName on July 3, 2014 at 8:19 AM

I forgot to add, I enjoy Motorsports. F1, DTM, MotoGP, Rally, Indy, GT, etc. but I couldn’t care less about NASCAR. Yeah, I’m some kind of freakazoid Prog…LOL

ManWithNoName on July 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Bishop on July 2, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Thank you! Sums up what I think exactly.

tomshup on July 3, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Every 4 years we get a little hyped up to watch soccer, and many find that distracting and foolish…meanwhile we watch spoiled guys in shorts running up and down a floor (nearly 100 times in a season) tossing a ball through a hoop, getting paid foolish amount of money, time outs and the game in general being dictated by advertisers, and that is “amazing”.

Or a baseball game lasting 3 hours, with about 15 minutes of “action”…good grief.

It’s once every 4 years guys…relax, in a few weeks you can go back and worship your NBA stars, who really the most exciting thing they do is try to guess what new tattoo they are sporting.

right2bright on July 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Kissmygrits on July 3, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Which is why in England, Italy, or most any other country it’s just a “kids game”…meanwhile, that 3 hour baseball, that is run by advertisers, that is a “real man’s game”…nothing like watching for 3 hours and see 15 minutes of action…yeah, a MAN’S game…

right2bright on July 3, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Sorry Rush, any sport that can end in a 0-0 tie is not a sport, it’s a playdate.

Lamont Cranston on July 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM

ManWithNoName on July 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Obviously. NASCAR is the only motorsport where men are men. Anything open wheel is filled with sissys who cry if another driver gets within 100 yards of their car.

NotCoach on July 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I never got why conservatives made a point to hate soccer.

triple on July 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Peter Beinart explains it all for you:

It’s all about driving America down on its knees in front of the rest of the world. Wednesday’s game was a perfect example of that.

ebrown2 on July 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Lamont Cranston on July 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Yep, note that the U.S. hero of the game was the only tool-using animal allowed for his team. Weighted down with 10 yobbos who were not allowed to use their hands, he was finally driven down to defeat by Euro-trash in front of the whole world.

That is a metaphor made flesh, the leftie fantasy come true. A culturally and spiritually sound America has no -need- for soccer.

ebrown2 on July 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Likewise, Hockeys offsides rule is similar to Soccers.

Try putting in a little thought next time.

BierManVA on July 3, 2014 at 6:12 AM

And the penalty is a loss of 5 yards, which can have a huge impact on the game (turn a field goal attempt into a punt and vice versa, or give the offense a first down). In addition, the player gets villified by the fans and his ass kicked in the locker room.

In soccer, nobody cares.

BobMbx on July 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Soccer haters make Pepe look calm, cool, and collected.

Christien on July 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Lamont Cranston on July 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM

…Especially when teams have names like “Sporting,” which seem to be designed to avoid even the appearance of competition…

landlines on July 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM

NotCoach on July 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I’m guessing that’s sarcasm because that couldn’t be further from the truth. F1 and other open-wheeled racing requires extreme endurance and strength. The differences between F1 and NASCAR couldn’t be more staggering. I won’t even get into Rally racers being the best drivers in the world…

You’ll like this

ManWithNoName on July 3, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Since you like NASCAR, you’ll get a kick out of this too

ManWithNoName on July 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Jul 02, 2014 at 9:52 pm Sackett

You guys still here? Thread ended with Sackett’s comment.

Jaibones on July 3, 2014 at 2:32 PM