Question for Ted Cruz: Should conservatives withhold donations from the NRSC after Thad Cochran’s win?

posted at 4:41 pm on July 1, 2014 by Allahpundit

Roll Call’s trying to get an answer from him after the Senate Conservatives Fund called for a boycott this past weekend. He’s the vice chairman in charge of grassroots outreach for the NRSC, but he’s also a longstanding ally of the SCF’s whose relationship with the group has irritated his GOP colleagues in the Senate. Now he’s in the crossfire.

No comment so far.

[T]he Texas Republican supported the SCF’s efforts in the past. He made an appearance in a recent SCF television ad to boost former Oklahoma Speaker of the House T.W. Shannon. Rep. James Lankford defeated Shannon in a GOP primary for Sen. Tom Coburn’s seat, which is open because the Oklahoma Republican is resigning at the end of this Congress.

Multiple queries to Cruz’s office Sunday and Monday asking if he would disavow the SCF’s effort to defund the NRSC yielded no response from the senator.

“Majority-Leader-Wannabe Mitch McConnell, NRSC Chairman Jerry Moran, and the others who supported Thad Cochran’s disgraceful attacks on Chris McDaniel are part of the problem,” SCF President Ken Cuccinelli said in a message to supporters. “These politicians don’t believe in the principles of freedom that make America great. Their ideology is power and they will do anything to keep it.”

Here’s the SCF petition calling for choking off funds to the NRSC. I’ve gotta say: They have a case.

We must remember that the establishment urged Cochran to run against McDaniel even though Cochran wanted to retire.

We must remember that the establishment opposed McDaniel even though Cochran had been in Washington for 41 years and had voted for wasteful spending, more debt, and higher taxes…

We must remember that the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) continued to oppose McDaniel after he won the most Republican votes in the primary, and then spent $175,000 of party money to defeat McDaniel in the runoff.

All true, but I’m reluctant to go along. And honestly, I’m not sure whether the SCF strategy is too dangerous or not dangerous enough. One of my points on Friday in arguing that Mississippi tea partiers should consider voting Democratic was that choking off money just isn’t enough of a threat in an age when Republican billionaires can replace millions in lost funds with one check. If the NRSC finds itself $5 million short because of a grassroots boycott, what’s to stop middlemen from dialing up Sheldon Adelson et al. and asking them to make up the shortfall with donations to Super PACs involved in key races? So maybe the boycott wouldn’t work. Or maybe it would work and wholly innocent GOP candidates would suffer because of it. It’d be a bad outcome if righteous rage at Cochran and his cronies ended up with Tom Cotton losing to Mark Pryor because there just wasn’t enough money down the stretch in Arkansas. If you want to make a statement about Mississippi, there’s an obvious solution: Get Mississippi Republicans to either stay home or to vote for Travis Childers in the general election. I already gave you the pros and cons of that; either you elect another Joe-Manchin-style Democrat to the Senate who’ll think hard before moving too far left lest he be trounced by Mississippians in 2020 or you validate the Cochran cronies’ tactics by reelecting an old-school pork-peddling Republican dinosaur. I’m not saying it’s an easy choice, but it is a choice worth thinking hard about.

My feeling about the NRSC is that they should be on de facto probation until 2016. Specifically, I want to see how they handle Mike Lee’s reelection bid in Utah. Lee’s going to face headwinds there from establishmentarians who loathe him for his role in the shutdown last year; they’ll also be eager to symbolically undo his tea-party-propelled victory over Bob Bennett in 2010. If the NRSC really is all about protecting incumbents, it should be decisively on Lee’s side against the Romneys and Huntsmans and other business-class Republicans eager to knock him off. If they’re not, then obviously they’re picking favorites based on ideological bent, at which point conservatives might as well pull the plug and let the donor class fund the NRSC entirely. If the committee can’t even defend a serious legislator like Lee who’s taken the lead in reorienting Republican policies towards helping the middle class, they’re beyond hope. That’s third-party territory.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I have already vowed to vote my conscience. I didn’t vote Obama-lite in 2012, and I won’t do it in 2016. This, from a life-long republican poll worker and campaign worker.

I haven’t left the GOP. They left me.

Wino on July 1, 2014 at 11:01 PM

First off Marie Antoinette never said “let them eat cake”.
Tilly on July 1, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Actually, you’re wrong. She did say that…

Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:07 PM

3300 votes have been identified by the McDaniel people in Mississippi. This is not over. Plus if Thad Cochran’s people paid voters for their vote, Thad will be disqualified from running.

NWConservative on July 1, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Did you know that the US allied with Stalin in WWII?

I love the pathetic “you don’t know me!” routine. Do you think your comments aren’t a reflection of who you are and where you’re coming from? You just gave me another reason to rightfully say that you’re stupid-are you not smart enough to realize this? lmao

You’re obnoxiously siding with Cochran and the GOPe, who are intolerant morons. I’ve known many smug people like you-you are unethical, and the more you deny your flaws, the worse it makes you look. =)

non-nonpartisan on July 1, 2014 at 9:29 PM

I know all about Stalin, WWII and politics making strange bed fellows. My father was an expert on American history with an emphasis on military strategy in the Rev. War, War Between the States and WWII. Most of my summers and down time were spent in the privileged of his knowledge and slogging through history that went anywhere from behind the iron curtain (1980′s) to the battle of bull run.

I am 13th generation on both sides of my family and my husband is 13th generation on both sides, who is serving his country in the air force.

I sided with Cochran out of basic self interest and self defense as a Mississippian. After all at the end of the day that is why most wars are fought.

Without any term limits in place you want Mississippi to bet on a novice, untested, hot head, that has stated he will not negotiate. Who the hell is he going to caucus with? Ted Cruz?

We already have a fine example of what untested will get you and it sets in the White House…

You want us to trade a senior ranking senator that will likely be chairman of appropriations, for what we have seen? No Sir, I am not the stupid one here. lol

Tilly on July 1, 2014 at 11:11 PM

I haven’t left the GOP. They left me.
Wino on July 1, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Your sentiments are the same as many conservatives here. That is why the GOPe loses election after election, and they can’t figure out why

Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:12 PM

The very same amateur hour that caused your boy not to be able to close the deal in the first round.
McDaniel got out foxed and out spent.

Tilly on July 1, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Well let’s see $15.00 x 10,000 = $150,000.00. So that’s what he spent for the primary. What’s the going rate against Childers? Or can the democrats be bought against their own. Hmmm????

Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:16 PM

No Sir, I am not the stupid one here. lol

Tilly on July 1, 2014 at 11:11 PM

You are motivated by fear, you have no real ethics, and you are as convincing of a debater as Obama and his devotees. And I also know you’re not smart enough to understand why I say this-you have the maturity of spoiled brat who doesn’t think she’s either spoiled, or a brat.

I won’t waste my time with you.

non-nonpartisan on July 1, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Yeah, this particular head has to roll.

It probably won’t make the difference for Reid, Obamacare, SCOTUS, etc.

But even if it did, it would be worth all of those things. Yes, I mean that. It doesn’t matter where in the world you want to go on vacation if your car is broken. Everything else is moot if you can’t even win a primary where you have the majority of the Republican votes against a fiction propped upon a man who is begging leave to die.

We’re talking about whether conservatives have any place at all in a party in this country, even the party where they provide the overwhelming majority of the votes.

Forget conservatives: we’re talking about whether REPUBLICANS have a place in the Republican party. In Mississippi, the Democrats selected their candidate and they also selected the Republican candidate. We’re moving beyond McCain territory here: McCain would be an arch-conservative in this Brave New Party the GOPe wants. We’re in the Lott-DeLay Zone. We’re in a place that’s even making Rove sweat.

No Cunning Plan(tm) is worth not being able to decide on your representative when you *have the votes* against a guy who doesn’t know who Eric Cantor is, but who manages to win anyway. Vote for the Mississippi Democrat. If he’s the 50th vote, laugh harshly at the pollster and give your best rendition of “Let it Go.”

HitNRun on July 1, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Tilly on July 1, 2014 at 11:11 PM

I bet you know Stalin intimately well. But do you prefer Lenin or Obama over Stalin?

Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:18 PM

NWConservative on July 1, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I think it would serve the GOP right to write in the name “Chris McDaniel” for all these races which the GOPe are considered a favorite in. This will be a strong rallying call that just screams “Remember Mississippi”

Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Tilly on July 1, 2014 at 11:11 PM

How noble.

Well, the Democrats also voted for more government slops as well, so I guess you are in the company you belong with.

sharrukin on July 1, 2014 at 11:22 PM

HitNRun on July 1, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Even his royal tarpness, GWB is going nuculer against the tea party. Just think, if the GOP didn’t vote for TARP, then they probably wouldn’t have to worry about the tea party. So one could say Bush brought it upon the GOP himself. So don’t blame the tea party when he got us into a pointless war in Iraq and bailed out his banker buddies on Wall Street

Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Tilly on July 1, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Yes. Because in case you haven’t noticed we are $117 trillion in actual debt, and Cochran spends 2 times more than the tax revenue his state brings in. So in essence, the rest of the US is bailing out Mississippi. But I don’t think spending is your concern. I think you were impressed with his stance on bestiality

Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:27 PM

We would have been better off had Gore or Kerry won. We would have gotten our problems out of the way 4-8 years earlier and Obama likely would not have been elected.

Bush43 enjoyed the GOP controlling both houses of Congress for the first time since 1932 and totally blew it.

bw222 on July 1, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Actually, you’re wrong. She did say that…

Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:18 PM

The quote “Let them eat cake” was attributed to Marie-Thérèse, she was the princess married to King Louis XIV. She suggested the French eat “la croûte de pâté” ( crust of the pâté). Jean-Jacques Rousseau put the pâté story in “Confessions”, attributing the words to “a great princess” but it stuck on Marie-Antoinette.

I am more of a George Patton girl and think we should not have stopped until we got to Moscow. That should tell you what I think about Stalin and Lenin.

Kind of like I think GWB should have put a mushroom cloud up over Afghanistan after 9/11 criticism be damned… It would have been in our best interest.

I would rather have Lyndon Johnson back in office than what we have now.

Good luck with your new political party.

Tilly on July 2, 2014 at 12:06 AM

I think a 3rd party can be quickly built that is based on people of faith, the working and middle classes, and small business. Redefine groups rather than falling into the trap of using groups defined by Democrats. The Republican and Democrat Parties are both special interest parties that ignore the vast majority of Americans.

So I’m all for boycotting the NRSC. Anything that weakens the Republican party is a good thing.

huckleberryfriend on July 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM

You would be best running a third party based on the NY Conservative party. If the GOP candidate is a conservative (e.g. Iowa’s Steve King) also nominate him as your candidate or don’t nominate a candidate. If the GOP fields a non-conservative (e.g. New York’s Peter King), run a candidate against him/her.

When the GOP establishment starts losing enough races, they will have learned their lesson.

bw222 on July 2, 2014 at 12:09 AM

The RINO’s will switch offical to the Democrats at the first sign of trouble, there are at least 8 to 10 who would do that.

40 to 60 in the House will do the same.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 2, 2014 at 12:33 AM

I won’t waste my time with you.

non-nonpartisan on July 1, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I find your self appointed air of superiority and those reindeer names you called me quite entertaining. Yet with all the fit throwing you seem to be doing, it is not likely you are going to get that senate seat.

The wasted time, now that is something we can agree on!

Have a good evening. :)

Tilly on July 2, 2014 at 12:37 AM

it is not likely you are going to get that senate seat.

Tilly on July 2, 2014 at 12:37 AM

The welfare cash is all that really matters, right?

Democrats line up to get their ‘Obama stash’ and you line up to get your ‘GOP stash’, mmm, mmm.

sharrukin on July 2, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Tilly on July 2, 2014 at 12:37 AM

The condescension, and tolerance for fraud originated from your side. You can’t dish what you take, can you? lmao

Of the 2 of us, I’m not the smug, stupid one who avoids dealing with all of facts in play, and who believes my own hype, you unethical idiot. If you knew how to analyze rhetoric objectively, you see what I’m saying. But, you don’t-you “think” and “debate” like an illiberal on Disqus.

What I highlight below represents people like you, not people like me.

I just dont think it is going to work out any better for you, than it did them.

Tilly on July 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM

“Stop whining about how abusive you think I am. You can’t breakup with me, we need each other!” -dumb jerk that just doesn’t get it

non-nonpartisan on July 1, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Circle’s completed! =)

non-nonpartisan on July 2, 2014 at 12:54 AM

40 to 60 in the House will do the same.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 2, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Unethical dopes like Tilly don’t understand this, nor really do they care.

Leader of Mississippi College Republicans Resigns to Join Democrats

The leader of the Mississippi Federation of College Republicans announced Monday morning that he is resigning as chairman of the state organization — and has plans to become a Democrat now.

“I am leaving my position in the organization and have begun to speak to members of the Mississippi Democratic Party and will be changing my party affiliation to Democrat in the next few days,” Chairman Evan Alvarez said in a statement to Mississippi’s Clarion-Ledger newspaper.

Alvarez’s resignation immediately drew a rebuke from the leader of the College Republican National Committee (CRNC), who told The Daily Caller on Monday that it was “based on self-interest, not principle.”

“As chair of the CRNC, some would expect I would be disappointed by today’s news. I am not,” College Republican National Committee Chairwoman Alex Smith told TheDC. “This defection was based on self-interest, not principle.”

Added Smith: “Mr. Alvarez will feel increasingly lonely in a party that is hemorrhaging young voters because of President Obama’s and Democrats’ extreme left wing agenda that is crippling our generation.”

Alvarez’s strange and abrupt party-switch comes during a time of turmoil for the state’s Republican Party. Incumbent GOP Sen. Thad Cochran won more votes than his conservative challenger, state Sen. Chris McDaniel, in last week’s GOP run-off. But McDaniel is contesting Cochran’s win, arguing that some of the Democrats who crossed party lines to help Cochran win the GOP primary were ineligible to vote.

Alvarez previously supported Cochran in the race; he posed in photos with sign-waving supporters of the senator’s campaign. The organization previously made news this year after Alvarez supported the impeachment of its state executive director for publicly endorsing McDaniel in the campaign.

In his resignation letter on Monday, Alvarez slammed the tea party and other “extremists.”

“When I ran for chairman in the spring, I ran to be chairman of the Mississippi Federation of College REPUBLICANS, not the Mississippi Federation of College “Tea Partiers,” Alvarez wrote. “Also, I believe that the Republican Party has allowed these groups of extremist[s] to have too much of a voice and because of that, the platform of the Republican Party has shifted too far to the right in my opinion.”

non-nonpartisan on July 2, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Tilly seems to be the wisest person on this thread. All of this gnashing of teeth over very minor ideological differences. So childish.

cimbri on July 2, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Actually, you’re wrong. She did say that…

Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:07 PM

No she really didn’t

Tlaloc on July 2, 2014 at 1:32 AM

cimbri on July 2, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Yes, anyone who thinks Tilly is wise is childish. While you are at it, you might as well call Cochran a real strong, ethical conservative, too lol

non-nonpartisan on July 2, 2014 at 1:43 AM

First off Marie Antoinette never said “let them eat cake”.
Tilly on July 1, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Actually, you’re wrong. She did say that…

Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:07 PM

No, she didn’t.

John the Libertarian on July 2, 2014 at 3:44 AM

Good luck with your new political party.
Tilly on July 2, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Maybe what the GOP needs is rebranding. That way it will attract new voters. How about changing the party name to Whigs?

Brock Robamney on July 2, 2014 at 5:16 AM

Actually, you’re wrong. She did say that…
Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:07 PM

No she really didn’t

Tlaloc on July 2, 2014 at 1:32 AM

YES SHE DID! I don’t care what your facts say. Yes she did!!!

See how I did that, I am now using Tilly debate tactics. Yell the loudest, and ignore the facts.

Brock Robamney on July 2, 2014 at 5:19 AM

cimbri on July 2, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Well whoever this sock puppet is likes to argue to hear the sound of his/her voice. Which is kind of odd as you can’t really hear yourself type, unless you have your ringer set really high on your IPhone, or pounding that keyboard really hard

Brock Robamney on July 2, 2014 at 5:23 AM

Here is the way I see it. We beat them, we are their enemy. They beat us, they are our enemy. That is too bad. The struggle for the party is between people of moral character and those who have sold their moral character for access and power, a drug combination that will infect some of those we send up.(Think Rand Paul)

That said, we can fight amongst ourselves as long as certain lines aren’t crossed. They will not go well into the night folks, so get used to the cheating and whining.

But, like a spoiled child, they should not get away with crossing lines. Cochran was a lined crossed by some good ‘ol boys in Miss. Haley wants his nephew to take over of Thad when he retires mid term. Thad wants out. Wife is senile, HE is senile and tired. It’s over.

My suggestion for the hand slap of punishment is to make sure Miss gets their next Senator from the Democratic side. Vote for the other guy. That way ol’ Haley’s nephew will need to find another job and the Establishment may remain in the minority. They are okay with that, but their egos will still be bruised. If we take the majority, the situation is a win/win. They know we still have the power to screw THEIR guy.

archer52 on July 2, 2014 at 5:33 AM

Cochran Campaign Manager, Staffer Busted in Illegal Vote Buying Operation

Charles C. Johnson

Democrat black reverend, who brought “hundreds” to the polls for promise of payment, exposes alleged massive voter fraud, vote buying operation by Cochran campaign.

Haven’t read the thread yet you guys covered this?

rodguy911 on July 2, 2014 at 7:17 AM

First off Marie Antoinette never said “let them eat cake”.
Tilly on July 1, 2014 at 10:31 PM

But perception is reality, in revolution. She might have been a great champion of the poor, in her own mind, and in the limited actions of noblesse noblige, but the royalty were still royalty and determined the lives of the peasants. So the revolution was spiked by the perception

In fact, many anti-monarchists were so convinced (albeit incorrectly) that it was Marie Antoinette who had single-handedly ruined France’s finances that they nicknamed her Madame Déficit

The apologist wiki article on Antoinette misses the point. The Queen was living in luxury playing at being a peasant shephardess. All her largess was as real as an RNSC promise because it did not reduce the fact that she was lapping up the spoils of power. In other words, she was a clueless as the RINOs who produced the Rubio/Ryan amnesty ads.

To understand what is happening now, it is important to understand how she was accepted as the symbolism of despotism. She became the focal point of grievance, because noblesse oblige sticks in the craw of slaves

Doesn’t matter what Cruz thinks, I stopped donating when I saw how Gov. Palin was dissed by the GOPe.

RWRFAN on July 1, 2014 at 6:43 PM

and still is
The Club does not need your donations. They now rely on the billionaires of both the left and the right, which is their new constitutency.

Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:21 PM

If I was in Mississippi I would write in McDaniel. In my own state, I will write in a state resident for any seat being sought by a CLub candidate if I cant vote libertarian

entagor on July 2, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Answer: Yes.

I stopped contributing long ago. I’ll reconsider if they ever stop behaving like an incumbent protection racket.

Ricard on July 2, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Conservatives who contribute to any anti-conservative group (left or right labeled) are merely paying installments on their own loss of freedom.
Does it really matter which label lies on the shoulders of government oppressors of freedom?
Both parties are all seekers of power over citizens and must be distrusted regardless of their pretend political positions.

Don L on July 2, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Answer: Yes.
Ricard on July 2, 2014 at 10:43 AM

There is never a good reason to contribute to an organization, even if they “play nice”. I would always contribute directly to a candidate. Contributing to SCF, Freedom Works, NRSC, you are relying on them to redistribute campaign funds(spread the wealth). We have seen how well that is turning out

Brock Robamney on July 2, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I haven’t left the GOP. They left me.

Wino on July 1, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Nice strategy there. You’ve played into the Democrats’ hands very nicely. Thanks to people like you, we still have Obama in office. Way to go.

Bob Davis on July 2, 2014 at 12:17 PM

The GOP establishment has become indistinguishable from democrats. They’re both the party of big government and only fight over who gets to hand out the money. As a Reagan conservative, I stopped supporting them years ago.

Citizen Jerry on July 2, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I haven’t left the GOP. They left me.
Wino on July 1, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Brock Robamney on July 1, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Yes, and thank you. You summed that up rather nicely.

Bob Davis on July 2, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I signed the SCF pledge not to give funds to the NRSC and if I lived in Kentucky I would vote against Mitch Mc Connell in November to send a message that courting Democrats and paying them tp vote in a Republic primary is beyond unethical.

searcher on July 2, 2014 at 1:23 PM

searcher on July 2, 2014 at 1:23 PM

What I found interesting is that Tadpole Sheepfondler threatened to sue the Reporter, and in the same article acknowledged that they did hire the guy. Sorry, Tadpole, but even if the claims were false, you have a high hurdle to leap to prove defamation, and if you really want to go down that road, discovery would be a hoot. It’s best for you just to come clean

Brock Robamney on July 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Keep your eye on the prize, people. Either the GOP controls the Senate or the neo-Marxist juggernaut will just continue on under Commissar Obama.

paulus1 on July 2, 2014 at 2:15 PM

paulus1 on July 2, 2014 at 2:15 PM

You do realize that the GOP and the DNC are identical right? Or are you in denial?

Brock Robamney on July 2, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I am going laugh my butt off when Thad Cochran loses to a Democrat and that causes the Democrats to remain in power in the Senate. Cochran has no honor, morals and is just a slime and smear merchant. You get that when you vote for a Democrat so why vote Republican, there is no difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pwb on July 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM

NRSC sent a fundraising email to me a few days ago. I replied that I would not send money to Thad Cochran Republicans, and asked they remove my name from their list. Unfortunately, it was one of those “no-reply” emails… The next time they call and ask for a donation I will tell them no.

golfer1 on July 2, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Don’t miss this.

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Tilly on July 2, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Yes, it would have been. I don’t care what “god” the Mohammedans fear; I just want to be sure they fear US.

Same goes for ISIL now. If we have to level a few of their “cities”, that’s no skin off our nose.

ReggieA on July 2, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Ted Cruz is ok with defund NRSC

Brock Robamney on July 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Ted Cruz is ok with defund NRSC

Brock Robamney on July 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM

How dod you know this??..Has Cruz said this lately or is this just a theory you are “floating”?..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Ted Cruz is ok with defund NRSC

Brock Robamney on July 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM

How do you know this??..Has Cruz said this lately or is this just a theory you are “floating”?..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Sorry..Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I haven’t left the GOP. They left me.

Wino on July 1, 2014 at 11:01 PM

You are proud that you helped to elect the communist pretender for the second time? Shame on you and others like you who ‘didn’t vote Obama-lite’. So what we got instead is Obama.

maryo on July 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Don’t contribute to the NRSC. If you wish to contribute to candidates, send your dollars directly to those who you support. I don’t want the NRSC to decide where my contribution dollars go. I stopped sending money to them years ago, but have continued to support candidates all over the country who express the same conservative views that I hold.

maryo on July 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I haven’t left the GOP. They left me.

Wino on July 1, 2014 at 11:01 PM

maryo on July 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Thank you and God bless you, maryo, for your comment.

You’re exactly right; the conservative “purists” who will not vote for anyone that they don’t largely agree with are doing far more damage than they realize. An “I won’t vote for anyone who’s not a true conservative” philosophy of a conservative voter plays right into the hands of Democrats, and is a huge reason why Obama was re-elected.

Was I a big fan of Romney? NO! Did I agree with him most of the time? NO! But I still voted for him. Why? Because I felt I had to do everything in my power to keep the radical, leftist, Godless Obama from being re-elected.

I’ll give you a good example of what I’m saying:

Let’s suppose you have cancer and you knew of a doctor out there who could offer a 60-70% chance for recovery. On the other hand, there’s another doctor who offers a 0% chance for recovery. Which doctor would you choose? Quite obviously, you’d choose the doctor that offered the best chance for recovery, right?

It’s the same way with politics. You’re most likely never going to find a candidate that you agree with EVERYTHING they say or believe. You ultimately vote for the one who MOST CLOSELY says and believes as you do.

The time to pick-out your favorite candidate, i.e., the one that most closely says and believes what you do, is in the primaries. However, as we all know, our “favorite” doesn’t always make it to the general election.

It’s at that point that you, again, vote for the candidate who MOST CLOSELY says and believes as you do.

In my previous example of the cancer doctor, I mentioned that your choice of a doctor would hinge upon choosing the one who gives you the best chance for recovery. With politicians, you choose the one who gives our country the best chance for success.

In the case of Romney, even though I personally wasn’t a big fan of the man, I still voted for him because, quite obviously, he gave us a much, much better chance for success than Obama. In other words, I voted for Romney–who I might only agree with 60-70% of the time–opposed to Obama who I agree with 0% of the time.

Does this make sense to anyone out there?

Bob Davis on July 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM