Open thread: Blogger can’t believe he’s posting an open thread for a soccer match

posted at 3:21 pm on July 1, 2014 by Allahpundit

I don’t mean to be that guy, the U.S. sports fan who watches the World Cup faithfully out of blind nationalism while wracked with guilt that he’s being un-American by taking an interest in the foreign game.

But I am that guy, so here’s your I’m-not-interested-but-really-I-kind-of-am ambivalent open thread. If true-conservative-in-chief Ted Cruz can hop on the bandwagon, there must be room for us RINOs, no?

4 p.m. ET on ESPN, U.S. versus Belgium in the Round of 16. If Team USA loses, they’re done. If they win, they’ll advance for the second time in team history to the quarterfinals, where they’ll be dismantled by Lionel Messi and Argentina. The stakes, clearly, are high. Belgium is slightly favored, but if I’m not mistaken the U.S. has been the underdog in all three of its matches so far. Results: They beat Ghana on a late goal, very nearly beat Portugal before another late goal left them with a draw, and then lost 1-0 to Germany. One of their key strikers, Jozy Altidore, is available for today’s match after being injured in the opener. He might play or might not. At a minimum, I assume, he’ll be subbed in during the second half if the U.S. is behind.

Given the amount of Latino interest in the Cup and the inevitability of demographic change, it’s a cinch that soccer really will become more popular in the U.S. — gradually. If we’re destined to play a bigger role in the sport, though, can I float my half-assed once-every-four-years recommendation for how to make it a tad more America-friendly? Dump the stupid penalty kicks shootout at the end and play the game the way John Wayne would play it, with the two sides running themselves to the point of puke-inducing exhaustion in extra time until somebody scores. Watching Brazil and Chile shoot it out the other day was like watching the Heat and Thunder go to overtime in game seven of the finals and then having LeBron and Durant play “horse” to decide the championship. Exciting! — and almost completely disconnected from everything that’s gone before it. If international fans insist on some stupid competition of set-pieces to settle the match, at least make it a battle of corner kicks instead of penalty kicks. The corner kick is a facet of the game itself and involves the entire team, so it better reflects the side’s overall skill set. If the defense clears the ball over the midfield line then they get to try a corner kick, and if they don’t score the other team gets another crack. Continue that way, one and one, until one side scores and the other doesn’t. Not as good as sudden death but better than penalty kicks, no?

You’ll know soccer has made it in America when the tackles have gotten hard enough to force guys to wear helmets and a goal from 25 yards out counts for two points. USA! USA!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

Belgium is loaded. Hopefully the US matches up.

22044 on July 1, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I just wanted to be first.

Buckshots on July 1, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Reader can’t believe he’s commenting…

Mr. Bingley on July 1, 2014 at 3:24 PM

But I was second.

Buckshots on July 1, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Sorry, I’d rather watch the grass grow.

joekenha on July 1, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Going with the 4-3-3 today. More attacking supposedly.

USA!!! Don’t drink any Stella today!

Hillarys Cankles on July 1, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I could not possible care less, even if I tried.

Diluculo on July 1, 2014 at 3:27 PM

*possibly

Diluculo on July 1, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Come on Belgium. Show us that the hatred of the US still means something.

nobar on July 1, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Soccer is a communist plot to weaken and destroy the youth of America.

ConstantineXI on July 1, 2014 at 3:27 PM

By the way, my fellow conservatives, go ahead & hate the game if you must, but this is not the battle to die on…

22044 on July 1, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Hey their Prime Minister is your kind of guy Allah. Gay,atheist and a free Mason,whats not to like.

celtic warrior on July 1, 2014 at 3:27 PM

To think I’d see the day we had women’s hockey and WC soccer threads on this site. I’m proud of you.

Hillarys Cankles on July 1, 2014 at 3:28 PM

meh, I don’t watch dog shows and horse jumping either, why do I have to care about soccer?

DanMan on July 1, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Really, if you fall down on minimal contact, you get a red card. That right there would solve most of the problems. But it’s rewarded if you’re weak and feeble.

MrX on July 1, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Let’s talk about The Last Ship. Anyone else think it is awful in maybe a good way? That fuse scene in the first episode had me peeing my pants with laughter.

NotCoach on July 1, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Its kinda like if team USA were in a pick-up-sticks contest. Just can’t get excited about it. Sorry.

Buckshots on July 1, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Piss on that sorry communist excuse for a sport. Can’t wait to revel in the hipster caterwauling when we lose to mighty Belgium – their tears are sweeter than cotton candy.

Slab Bulkhead on July 1, 2014 at 3:29 PM

DanMan on July 1, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Because it’s a mandate tax.

NotCoach on July 1, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I’m not a RINO. I’m a true small government constitutional conservative and I have been watching the games, not just the US.

But then again, I reside in Tuscany and have grown to love the game.

There was much gnashing of teeth here when the Italian got bit! LOL

Jayrae on July 1, 2014 at 3:30 PM

There’s nothing un-American about cheering on the USA. In fact, I’d say it’s even more American to want our team to kick the rest of the world’s ass at a Euro-sport.

Cyhort on July 1, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I didn’t hear his program, but someone said on Twitter that Rush mentioned this story today.

Were black pastors throughout Mississippi used as part of a massive illegal campaign machine, paying Democratic voters to swing the state Republican primary runoff in favor of the incumbent, Sen. Thad Cochran?

Journalism startup GotNews.com posted an interview Monday with a man claiming just that: He said he is a black pastor who paid black voters to turn out for Cochran last Tuesday, and that he did it because he was told Cochran’s Tea Party challenger, Chris McDaniel, was racist.

cat_owner on July 1, 2014 at 3:30 PM

You jinxed it Allah! I won’t forgive you if we lose. :D

coolrepublica on July 1, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I think a USA win today would be a ginormous upset, and a Belgie Beat-down is a definite possibility, but Ima grab a spot at my local pub and go down swinging anyway.

Sacramento on July 1, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I’m mowing the lawn after work tonight.

meci on July 1, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Come on USA, win it all! The meltdown the rest of the world will have is going to make yesterday’s liberal Hobby Lobby caterwauling look like a kitten cutely mewling out the window in comparison.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Ice Hockey pretty much sucks too.

Buckshots on July 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I’d feel better if Belgium was playing the Seahawks.

dorkintheroad on July 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM

please end all this soccer stupidity. Belgium put us out of our misery!!!

chadlands on July 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Soccer…”this isn’t that fight either” – Mitch McConnell

Meople on July 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM

You jinxed it Allah! I won’t forgive you if we lose. :D

coolrepublica on July 1, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Let’s make a bet. If the US wins I won’t post for a week. If they lose you don’t post for a week. Deal?

NotCoach on July 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Not a fan of soccer, as many here aren’t, but I am a fan of the United States of America so I will be cheering on our team today

Go USA!

Ditkaca on July 1, 2014 at 3:33 PM

celtic warrior on July 1, 2014 at 3:27 PM

But what does he think of cats?

gwelf on July 1, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Agree Allah dump the shoot out

cmsinaz on July 1, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Agree Allah dump the shoot out

cmsinaz on July 1, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Wait, what? At 10 or 20 paces? I’d watch that!

NotCoach on July 1, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I wonder if the Iranian team got beheaded when they returned as punishment for losing?

ConstantineXI on July 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I hope one of the soccer kickers shows her jog bra.

Ted Torgerson on July 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Watched the Costa Rica v. Greece match with Costa Rican, Lebanese and American friends.

What a party.

Ticos :)

MichaelGabriel on July 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Okay, so – how many more weeks of World Cup must we endure? Does this stupid thing ever end?

Enough already.

Pork-Chop on July 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Anybody know whose on the Bobsled Network tonight.

Buckshots on July 1, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Anybody know whose on the Bobsled Network tonight.

Buckshots on July 1, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Jamaica vs Haiti.

ConstantineXI on July 1, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Enough already.

Pork-Chop on July 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I think it’s the round of 16 currently, and every match is one and done. So a single elimination bracket. I wonder how much extra time and miraculous injury recovery that is?

NotCoach on July 1, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Go USA!
Ditkaca on July 1, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Better attitude than most on this site today!

Hillarys Cankles on July 1, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I’d feel better if Belgium was playing the Seahawks.

dorkintheroad on July 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Who says the Seahawks can play soccer?

Bitter Clinger on July 1, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Enough already.

Pork-Chop on July 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Oh, let them have their month every four years. Then we get 47 months where soccer is less visible in this country than women’s golf.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 3:36 PM

i’m not a sports fan at all. i don’t watch any sport. i don’t know much about sports. i read that whole post and didn’t understand it, lol.

so i have to know: why is there is trend of soccer being un-american or whatever?? why is it some kind of cool thing for americans to not like soccer…?? i genuinely don’t get it.

how come it’s supposedly some kind of pathetic thing to like soccer, but getting overly excited about other sports is totally fine and okay? (i think getting overly excited about any sport is weird XD)

Sachiko on July 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I just hope America NEVER hosts the World Cup. Or if they do, host it out in the middle of the desert somewhere so the fans can’t destroy whatever cities are near by.

Meople on July 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Go USA!

Ditkaca on July 1, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Bravo – thank you for being postive

HotAir has become infected with piss-ant negativism – it is sad.

Thank you for being a fan of USA athletes – in any sport.

jake-the-goose on July 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Who says the Seahawks can play soccer?

Bitter Clinger on July 1, 2014 at 3:36 PM

The best American athletes will never be playing soccer.

ConstantineXI on July 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I believe.

I believe.

We can win.

We can win.

I believe, we can win!
I believe, we can win!
I believe, we can win!

So many of you are such dishrags…

Fallon on July 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I’d feel better if Belgium was playing the Seahawks.

dorkintheroad on July 1, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Heh – I wonder what Sherman would say to the Belgians

22044 on July 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I saw more Mexicans flags on cars around Los Angeles over the weekend then I see US flags now. Shows you where their heart is.

Mark1971 on July 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM

So, what is this soccer match that people keep mentioning? Don’t they play this game regularly in foreign countries? What does it have to do with America?

NOMOBO on July 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Meople on July 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Or host it in Detroit where anything the rioters destroy will save on demolition costs.

ConstantineXI on July 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Not coach heh

Ok the last ship was not too bad at least they killed the gitmo guys

cmsinaz on July 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Go Rangers!!

Or whatever the U.S. soccer team is called.

MisterElephant on July 1, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Heh – I wonder what Sherman would say to the Belgians

22044 on July 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM

“Way to not even be a SPEEDBUMP for the Germans, guys…”

ConstantineXI on July 1, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Meople on July 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM

1994 is calling.

Fallon on July 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Meople on July 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Too late. We already hosted it back in 1994.

Bitter Clinger on July 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Meople on July 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM

We had it in 1994. They tried to make it a big deal, but most of the country didn’t much care about it. It was, however, the most attended WC ever.

There was a really good 94 World Cup pinball game made by Midway, though. Used to play that at the arcade all the time. :)

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Sachiko on July 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM

We Aren’t the World: Why America Resists Soccer Imperialism

NotCoach on July 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM

1994 is calling.

Fallon on July 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM

And it wants a sequel, hopefully in 2022

22044 on July 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Fallon on July 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Bitter Clinger on July 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Missed it by that much.

Bitter Clinger on July 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Shouldn’t it be the World 4.2268 Liter.

Buckshots on July 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Sorry. Soccer sucks. It’s a boring spectator sport and that will never change. Anything that can make me sit there for 90 minutes and end in a 0-0 tie is a waste of my time.

Doughboy on July 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Not coach heh

Ok the last ship was not too bad at least they killed the gitmo guys

cmsinaz on July 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I haven’t watched the second episode yet. I’m still laughing at that fuse scene.

Rip it!

NotCoach on July 1, 2014 at 3:42 PM

ConstantineXI on July 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Well, this guy died just refereeing a game.

Police said Baseel Abdul-Amir Saad punched Bieniewicz after he indicated that the 36-year-old Dearborn resident was going to be ejected. Livonia police and the Wayne County prosecutor’s office have not named the referee, whom Jim Acho, a childhood friend, identified as Bieniewicz.

Those freakish Amish strike again!

VegasRick on July 1, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Go Rangers!!

Or whatever the U.S. soccer team is called.

MisterElephant on July 1, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Rough Riders.?..

Fallon on July 1, 2014 at 3:42 PM

22044 on July 1, 2014 at 3:27 PM

I don’t “hate” the game, I just don’t give a flying fig about it. Plus, when people tell my I should care, being the oppositionally defiant fellow that I am, I care even less. Purposely.

I think the limp wristed leftists and progressive GOPe are desperately trying to divert attention to the crap they are trying to get away with, and this sockher frenzy is just another lame example of that.

Diluculo on July 1, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Attention soccer haters: You don’t have to the like the sport to support the US National Team in the biggest global sports competition that there is! In fact, it makes it even sweeter, as underdogs, to take it to the rest of the world.

Nothing about soccer is un-American, and frankly, it’s pretty embarrassing and out-of-touch to hear that kind of sentiment. Regardless, this is about OUR team, the United States of America. There shouldn’t be anything political about it.

Does not liking luge stop you from supporting the US Olympic team? This is like that, except 100x bigger.

GO GO USA!!!

jjraines on July 1, 2014 at 3:44 PM

futbol? futbol? WTF is futbol?

paulsur on July 1, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Shouldn’t it be the World 4.2268 Liter.

Buckshots on July 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM

My mistake. I meant 0.236588 Liter. Dang Google.

Buckshots on July 1, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I do remember that the ’94 championship game between Brazil & Italy was decided by penalty kicks. What a crappy way to crown a champion.

I also remember in ’94 that a player for Colombia accidently knocked the ball into his own goal causing his team to lose and he ended up getting murdered for it when the team got back to Colombia.

Bitter Clinger on July 1, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Meople on July 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM

1994. Watched Spain play Switzerland at RFK Stadium in D.C.

Had a blast.

MichaelGabriel on July 1, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Can’t watch…there’s a fresh coat of paint drying on the wall outside that is absolutely enchanting.

Wyznowski on July 1, 2014 at 3:45 PM

ConstantineXI on July 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Bitter Clinger, you got this one, or should I take it?

Fallon on July 1, 2014 at 3:46 PM

jjraines on July 1, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Thank you for providing fuel for my hate filled rage of soccer. It’s boring sport (A SPORT!), and constantly being told I must enjoy it only adds to my desire to be contrary.

Now someone up thread mentioned they have shootouts. What kind of weapons do they use?

NotCoach on July 1, 2014 at 3:47 PM

jjraines on July 1, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I don’t support useless distractions, don’t care who is playing, while our entire government is committing treason.

Diluculo on July 1, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Want to make it more ‘US Friendly?’ Just get rid of the stupid ‘the clock is always running’ BS. If play stops for any reason, the clock stops, just like in other sports. Ball out of bounds? Clock stops until its back in. Goal scored and team is celebrating? Clock stops until play resumes. Player writing on the ground in agony after being brushed by an opponent who breathed on him too heavily? Clock stops.

It’s more logical, it takes the extra-time out of the hands of the refs, de-incentivizes diving, and lets the teams actually plan for how much time they have left, because they’ll actually know.

DominusNovus on July 1, 2014 at 3:47 PM

1994. Watched Spain play Switzerland at RFK Stadium in D.C.

Had a blast.

MichaelGabriel on July 1, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I saw a game at RFK that year too – I think it was Holland & Saudi Arabia.

22044 on July 1, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Rugby. I could get into that. Lets get a UN resolution going that bans soccer for all eternity and replace it with rugby.

NotCoach on July 1, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Btw…all you ‘get off my lawn’ curmudgeons may be surprised to realize that there are millions of born-and-bred, right-wing Americans that will not only be cheering on the USMNT today, but also *gasp* like soccer.

You don’t have to like it, too, but to try and politicize it and ignorantly bash it like Coulter did is beyond silly and close-minded.

jjraines on July 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM

GO USA!

I love soccer! I love the USA! And we’re going to win it all!!

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Sachiko on July 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Well, there’s a few reasons:

A. It’s not really our game. We invented baseball and (American) football. Basketball’s inventor was Canadian but it was invented in America. It’s no surprise that we prefer our own sports.

B. We’re not the best at it, whereas we are the best at the Big 3. We’re not the best at hockey, but at least we’re competitive, especially for a country with such a diverse climate. Most of the countries that routinely beat us are cold-weather countries, so it makes sense that they breed grat hockey players.

C. It has a not totally unjustified reputation of being wimpy/un-manly. It is undoubtedly a supremely athletic endeavor, but all the flopping is a bit off-putting to people used to seeing punishing NFL tackles.

D. The best soccer isn’t played here. The MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL are the absolute best leagues in their respective sports. Meanwhile, “real” soccer fans still look down on the MLS as being inferior to its Euro counterparts like La Liga and Serie A. That’s exactly the sort of snooty European condescension that most Americans still despise and consider a bygone relic from our colonial days.

(Not that we weren’t already superior to places like France and Italy even as a colony.)

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM

We Aren’t the World: Why America Resists Soccer Imperialism

NotCoach on July 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM

okay i read the title and the first few sentences and the article sounded so stupid that i couldn’t continue. people are so immature. bragging about how not interested you are in soccer is pointless. no one cares.

and i wonder if all the people complaining about soccer being “boring” have actually played it themselves. i just think it’s so much harder than it looks! and while i have no interest in sports i do respect the people who play because i know how hard they work and how tough it is.

but again, the same people who complain about soccer get super extremely excited about other “more american” sports. kinda ironic! you act the same as soccer fans only with a different sport.

Sachiko on July 1, 2014 at 3:50 PM

jjraines on July 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Yes – in general, keep politics out of sports

Go after liberals and ghouls (repeating myself) for being liberals & ghouls.

22044 on July 1, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Meh. Too much hype for a game thats as exciting as watching grass grow.

neyney on July 1, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!

…Actually I don’t, but best of luck to the good ol’ US of A, anyways!

Stoic Patriot on July 1, 2014 at 3:50 PM

jjraines on July 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Agreed 100%.

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Bitter Clinger, you got this one, or should I take it?

Fallon on July 1, 2014 at 3:46 PM

It’s yours, LOL.

Bitter Clinger on July 1, 2014 at 3:50 PM

jjraines on July 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I don’t like it, don’t hate it, don’t CARE ABOUT IT.

Stop telling me what I need or should do and feel about yet another stupid fcking game. Love it if you want to, I DON’T CARE.

G F Y

Diluculo on July 1, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Who says the Seahawks can play soccer?

Bitter Clinger on July 1, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Thye can’t, but I’d bet Belgium would surrender before the game.

dorkintheroad on July 1, 2014 at 3:51 PM

jjraines on July 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Gay.

NotCoach on July 1, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Death to the Belgian waffles! …Errrr… soccer team!

Stoic Patriot on July 1, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Notcoach :)

cmsinaz on July 1, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Agreed 100%.

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 3:50 PM

That would figure.

GFY as well.

Diluculo on July 1, 2014 at 3:51 PM

The flopping and the corrupt officiating makes it hard to love international soccer. The only real reason to watch it as an American is in hopes we embarrass some Europeans, otherwise the product is far inferior to NFL or even NBA play where there is actually scoring and athletic feats every couple of minutes instead of extended passing drills and tedium. The fact that ties not only regularly occur but are considered good outcomes by most teams is also abrasive to the American spirit.

JeremiahJohnson on July 1, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Boring game gets two more hours of attention and that’s it for another four years.

sentinelrules on July 1, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Lots of soccer haters here. Pity. I’ve got two sons who play at a high level and are on the Alabama state team in their respective age divisions so, yeah, we are all about futbol in this family. The soccer hate doesn’t bother me though. After all, I live in ALABAMA where it is ALL about football and baseball. So you guys can just hate on and I’ll go enjoy the game. I bet I’ll have more fun watching than you will have b*tching!

Go USA!! :)