Open thread: Blogger can’t believe he’s posting an open thread for a soccer match

posted at 3:21 pm on July 1, 2014 by Allahpundit

I don’t mean to be that guy, the U.S. sports fan who watches the World Cup faithfully out of blind nationalism while wracked with guilt that he’s being un-American by taking an interest in the foreign game.

But I am that guy, so here’s your I’m-not-interested-but-really-I-kind-of-am ambivalent open thread. If true-conservative-in-chief Ted Cruz can hop on the bandwagon, there must be room for us RINOs, no?

4 p.m. ET on ESPN, U.S. versus Belgium in the Round of 16. If Team USA loses, they’re done. If they win, they’ll advance for the second time in team history to the quarterfinals, where they’ll be dismantled by Lionel Messi and Argentina. The stakes, clearly, are high. Belgium is slightly favored, but if I’m not mistaken the U.S. has been the underdog in all three of its matches so far. Results: They beat Ghana on a late goal, very nearly beat Portugal before another late goal left them with a draw, and then lost 1-0 to Germany. One of their key strikers, Jozy Altidore, is available for today’s match after being injured in the opener. He might play or might not. At a minimum, I assume, he’ll be subbed in during the second half if the U.S. is behind.

Given the amount of Latino interest in the Cup and the inevitability of demographic change, it’s a cinch that soccer really will become more popular in the U.S. — gradually. If we’re destined to play a bigger role in the sport, though, can I float my half-assed once-every-four-years recommendation for how to make it a tad more America-friendly? Dump the stupid penalty kicks shootout at the end and play the game the way John Wayne would play it, with the two sides running themselves to the point of puke-inducing exhaustion in extra time until somebody scores. Watching Brazil and Chile shoot it out the other day was like watching the Heat and Thunder go to overtime in game seven of the finals and then having LeBron and Durant play “horse” to decide the championship. Exciting! — and almost completely disconnected from everything that’s gone before it. If international fans insist on some stupid competition of set-pieces to settle the match, at least make it a battle of corner kicks instead of penalty kicks. The corner kick is a facet of the game itself and involves the entire team, so it better reflects the side’s overall skill set. If the defense clears the ball over the midfield line then they get to try a corner kick, and if they don’t score the other team gets another crack. Continue that way, one and one, until one side scores and the other doesn’t. Not as good as sudden death but better than penalty kicks, no?

You’ll know soccer has made it in America when the tackles have gotten hard enough to force guys to wear helmets and a goal from 25 yards out counts for two points. USA! USA!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

MiguelAngel on July 1, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Edumacate me, bro.

NotCoach on July 1, 2014 at 7:46 PM

“If someone is released and they are symptomatic, it could spread rapidly” Cabrera warned. “It’s contagious, we are transporting people to different parts of the state and different parts of the country,” he also expressed earlier this month, referring to the practice of transporting immigrants to other parts of the country.

davidk on July 1, 2014 at 7:49 PM

LeK ‏@Caparthia 4m

I think #Murrieta statement is loud and clean….Most of #SanDiego feels the same damn way!

Annabelle Sedano ‏@annabellesedano 43m

Protesters in #Murrieta surround buses carrying undocumented minors. Drivers forced to turn around. Now heading south toward San Diego.

davidk on July 1, 2014 at 7:51 PM

NCIS

davidk on July 1, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Just wait … in about 16 years the USA team will be populated entirely by formerly unaccompanied aliens — clearly superior to our mediocre homegrown stock …

ShainS on July 1, 2014 at 7:54 PM

MiguelAngel on July 1, 2014 at 7:41 PM

“your’re a peach” as they say in the south (that is a good thing!) The U.S. put up a good fight. As I posted previously, Tim Howard is MVP of this game if not the World Cup. Alas, the U.S. was denied once again. We will be competitive with the world soon come though. I have seen soccer grow immensely in the U.S. the last 15 years. One day we will kick ass in this sport just like in basketball, baseball and American football.

Cheers to you and thanks for rooting for us!

Best,

KickandSwimMom on July 1, 2014 at 7:59 PM

As always there are people afraid of football because they know that american football, or baseball won’t be rival to football. They know that american footbal have been a total failure outside the USA, unlike basketball. Why? Because American football is repetitive, mechanical sport, with simple strategy and easy gameplay … but basketball is a great game, so it has success anywhere in the world, the same can be said about football.
You feel afraid to admit that, so you try to attack football. Is that easy, is that childish.

MiguelAngel on July 1, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Which other things should we convert to because they’re popular in other countries?

I don’t care how many people are soccer fans, it’s not a better sport than baseball. If only 11 or 12 countries care about baseball, so be it; that’s a loss for the rest of the world.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 8:05 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 1, 2014 at 7:36 PM

So it is OK to like american football … I do agree, even if I have my opinion about it I have seen enough of it to know that it can be entertaining somehow.

But it seems that for some people it is not OK to like football, and that is what I was talking about, there are people who does not like that you like football … so they try to attack it with weird political arguments that just show how afraid they are of “soccer” taking the place over the american football.

Who are those people to doubt about the values or political stances of those who like football? It is absurd. So yes, you can like whatever sport you like, but many americans here have been mocked because they like football. Is this fair?

The NBA is a succes everywhere. Here in Spain it gets so much attention as the spanish league. NBA is the best basketball in the world, and everyone likes it. American football … not the same success obviously.
Soccer is not a threat to american sports, the same than the NBA isn’t a threat to any other sport around the world. So don’t be afraid of it. If you like american football, let other people like whatever they like … even if they are also americans.

MiguelAngel on July 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM

For example, NotCoach defines my message as “sanctimony”. And it was not the intention. As I said, it is just a sport, and I am sure that most of the times those who made those bad jokes have the same opinions about political, moral, etc issues than me … so I guess that if they throw some attacks … they can get some too.

MiguelAngel on July 1, 2014 at 7:41 PM

It’s just a sport, yes, but it’s also a font of jingoism and hypernationalism, and it sure seems to cause a lot more riots than other sports.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM

To be fair, eurosports aren’t all as bad as soccer. Rugby is great to play and to watch (especially the Haka) and gaelic sports like gaelic football and hurling are really something too. All far, far more watchable than soccer, IMO.

bofh on July 1, 2014 at 8:11 PM

MiguelAngel on July 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I have no problem with fandom. But we can’t just pretend that politics and culture don’t intersect. A lot of people have co-opted soccer and made it a political issue, on both sides of the aisle. To some people, the fact that we refuse to adopt the sport preferred by most of the rest of the world is proof of our arrogance.

I also think some Americans are tired of the perpetual clarion call of the “rise of soccer in America,” because it’s been basically the same story since Pele joined the NY Cosmos in 1975. It makes inroads, yes, but it’s never made a significant dent in the Big 4.

A big problem for American soccer fans is that the MLS is still seen (and not unjustifiably) as a 2nd tier league to many people. It draws like the NHL and NBA, but it doesn’t get the TV ratings and product revenue, and a lot of “serious” fans tend to dismiss it.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

The first soccer match I ever saw, I coached it. LOL. It was my son’s under 6 bumblebee league. I have been a fan ever since.

d1carter on July 1, 2014 at 8:14 PM

MiguelAngel on July 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM

i don’t care what sports you like in Spain. I don’t care what sports you dislike. It doesn’t affect me. Frankly, I don’t care what Spanish citizens think about anything.

You like soccer? Good for you. Have at it and stop bugging me about it. America doesn’t like soccer as a professional sport and never will – unless we are totally flooded with illegals, of course. Get over it.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 1, 2014 at 8:17 PM

MiguelAngel on July 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I sensed that same insecurity among soccer bashers here.

They say: “You won’t make me like soccer!” “Soccer won’t take over other sports here, it just won’t!” “Soccer will never be a success in America, do you hear me?” “Only communists like soccer, a sport which will never replace other sports here, it just can’t!”

They claim to care nothing about the sport, but they comment about it in page after page here.

They protest too much. Clearly they are terrified of something. The obsession with putting down soccer, a sport which is huge among American youth, is childish and embarrassing.

These soccer bashers feel threatened by the sport. It’s pathetic. Like you say, people in other countries don’t feel intimidated by the spread of basketball’s popularly, and why should they? It’s not replacing other sports, and it’s exciting to watch, as soccer is.

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Good Solid B-Plus

Convert … you said convert, but it is not a religious matter, it is just a sport, so you must say “to like”, not “to convert”.

People like you behave like if it was a religious matter, a cult “americans can’t accept something outside the cult! … or they will be mocked and their values and patriotism will be denied!” … well, maybe they are just choosing whatever they like, the same you do when you choose baseball.

But anyway … believe me, as KickandSwimMom have said, football is getting stronger in the USA very fast, surely in a few years USA will be a very strong team, right now it is already a competitive team … I am sure that when the USA soccer team becomes a “world power” people like you will accept it, and in a very childish way they will forget all the things said about it now. Time to time.

MiguelAngel on July 1, 2014 at 8:21 PM

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Basketball isn’t really spreading that much. It’s been popular in Europe for decades, it’s the favorite sport of the Philippines, and it’s made some gains in China, Japan and South America. No one uses basketball as a litmus test for culture. No one arrogantly calls it the “Beautiful Game.”

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Yeah, kids play pee wee soccer, then largely move onto other sports. I was one of those kids playing pee wee soccer. Still have my participation trophies somewhere in the basement! :)

We’ve been hearing about the imminent takeover of soccer since 1975. At some point, it doesn’t seem so imminent.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 8:22 PM

As far as “why does it matter, you’re allowed to like multiple sports,” that’s obviously true for fans, but not for the supply of players, which is finite.

For example, more American youths dream of being in the NFL and NBA, and as a result, you see less Americans playing baseball (though it’s still a huge youth sport). In their absence you get reams of talented players from the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Japan, South Korea and even Cuba, when they’re able to escape.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Do the players on teams who don’t advance in the World Cup get participant trophies?

BobMbx on July 1, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I disagree with this part of your post. The reason is because I live in the most football/baseball/basketball centric area of the country. Our local paper (for reference I live in the Huntsville/Decatur area of Alabama) has reported that the numbers of kids playing in soccer has far outnumbered those playing in football. That is huge where I live. This is the land of BAMA and Auburn football for gosh sakes! The problem is that the state sport rules favor the football/baseball season and make it hard for soccer for kids in the way of sport season, scholarships, Title IX, etc. The state rules are totally rigged against soccer yet it is gaining strength.

KickandSwimMom on July 1, 2014 at 8:26 PM

High level soccer athletes look like perfect human male specimens. As fit as can be and very natural looking.

In pro football (American) you often have to be unnaturally large, almost to a grotesque degree, to play in several positions.

If I’m being superficial here, I’d have to say the soccer athletes are more pleasing to the eye.

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 8:27 PM

MiguelAngel on July 1, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Baseball is a religion. If you don’t feel the same way about “football,” then you’re simply not fan enough. :)

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Nah….the downfall of American sports can be traced to Apple and Nintendo.

BobMbx on July 1, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 8:22 PM

I am talking about through high school level. I am not talking about peewee a.k.a. jungle ball.

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I sensed that same insecurity among soccer bashers here.

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM

I can’t believe I’m saying this Bluegill, but I’m liking you more and more as I get to know you. :) You and I are definitely simpatico on immigration and soccer. Hopefully, we gain join together in the upcoming senate and presidential races.

KickandSwimMom on July 1, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Baseball is a religion.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Amen.

If they would just forgive Pete, I might actually start going to the stadium and paying admission again.

BobMbx on July 1, 2014 at 8:30 PM

KickandSwimMom on July 1, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Illegal alien amnesty is the number 1 issue, no doubt. I tell people who hate me here to work hard to defeat amnesty, because if we elect a president next time who opposes amnesty, then I pledge to never post here again. I try to use the fact that I’m hated to motivate people to work for the right issues! Ha!

Anyway, I’m off for the day. I’m spent after that game!

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Good Solid B-Plus

I liked this comment much more than your previous one. But I want to say that precisely I am against making political claims about that sport … but those claims are always against football as if it were some kind of threat. But don’t worry, to like soccer doesn’t mean to accept inmigration from mexico without any control or something like that … (by the way, I am totally against amnesty … good luck with that by the way). Make football as yours as it is european, asian, african or south american, strip it of any kind of ideology or “nationalism”, and that can be achieved if you stop relating this sport to those things, it can be totally yours too …

Also, don’t worry about the MLS being a 2nd tier league, now it is, but money and sponsors will follow the people. You are right about football failing to be a important sport in the USA for so long … but it is changing fast and this time is for real. Also, the good USA players will end up in 1st tier leagues, so the USA national team will benefit of that the same as if the MLS were a 1st tier league right now, the same than many good Belgium players play in other countries, Belgium is not even a 2nd tier league. (sorry belgium people!)

MiguelAngel on July 1, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Anyway, I’m off for the day. I’m spent after that game!

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 8:34 PM

I agree. Amnesty will be the complete undoing of this great American experiment. You and I were on the opposite ends of the spectrum in the last election with your support of Mitt Romney. Not that I don’t like Romney, I was a big supporter of his in the 2008 election, but he was not the right guy for 2012. We needed a fighter for that particular election and, sadly, he wasn’t it. Anyhow, we need people who will preserve the U.S.A. now. Are you in agreement with this??

KickandSwimMom on July 1, 2014 at 8:43 PM

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM

To be honest, I don’t get the same thrill from soccer as I do most other sports. To me, watching soccer is like watching a 3000m foot race, where a bunch of people run around for 90 minutes.

In baseball, you can get the “its the bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, runner on second, homies are down by 1…..” . This creates suspense with every pitch.

In football, the game can turn with a fumble or an interception, or the missed field goal. Again, suspense with the possibility of instant change. I’m a life-long Cowboy fan, so I know that leading by 24 with 2 minutes to play does not mean victory is at hand.

I can’t stand basketball. I’d rather watch Obama give a speech.

In soccer, every goal seems like an accident. There is no suspense, and hell, no one but the referee knows how much time is really left. And most of the time, whatever team is up by 1 goal with 15 minutes to play wins the game, and if a team is up by 3 goals at any point, may as well stop playing and save some time.

What really kills it for me is the constant whining by the players who seem to think their job is to earn free kicks by faking a foul.

BobMbx on July 1, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 1, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Maybe it is true that I take it easy … so I don’t suffer too much when my team lose :) (like it did happen in this world cup … buffff)

MiguelAngel on July 1, 2014 at 8:46 PM

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Hahaha. This is the most diplomatic post I’ve seen comparing the two sports athletes.

KickandSwimMom on July 1, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Soccer, the sport of illegal aliens

entagor on July 1, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Soccer, the sport of illegal aliens

entagor on July 1, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I didn’t see one illegal alien on the team.

Speaking honestly though, I’m actually very disappointed that kids of illegal aliens are not stepping up to make our soccer more competitive.

The stars on our team are German though. Gotta send more troops to Germany to keep the talent pipeline open.

El_Terrible on July 1, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Please dear God, let us recruit another German to play for the US.

El_Terrible on July 1, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Please dear God, let us recruit another German to play for the US.

El_Terrible on July 1, 2014 at 9:18 PM

I have mixed feelings on this. I would like for Klinsman to have a LITTLE faith in what the USA has to offer. We have fantastic athletes. The best in the world. They only need proper coaching. Klinsman is doing an excellent job at getting the USA to world level, and I believe he can accomplish this with American athletes.

KickandSwimMom on July 1, 2014 at 9:30 PM

If I wanted to see a bunch of foreign socialist pussies run around for two hours, too stupid to use the hands God gave them, I’d find a network that televised the U.N.

Hockey is a sport. Boxing is a sport. Rugby is a sport. American football is *ok*, but it only actually ‘happens’ 3-20 seconds at a time, with long breaks between. Baseball only qualifies because there’s a possibility of getting beaned in the grill with a fastball. Basketball is marginally better than work-release. Marginally.

Soccer is like watching someone of Sean-Penn-level IQ struggle through a Dr.Suess book; mildly amusing for the first couple minutes…then it’s just annoying.

The rest of the world loves soccer because it’s the ONE thing any other ‘Country’ in the world can beat us at…and I’m good with that. Way to Go, Belgium! Now cook me some fries, and get me a wheat beer, half-frogs.

a5minmajor on July 1, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Great news.
We don’t have to hear about Men’s Kickball again until June of 2018.

Galtian on July 1, 2014 at 9:40 PM

a5minmajor

is it possible to win the thread on page 7 of the comments, You just did IMO!

D-fusit on July 1, 2014 at 9:58 PM

a5minmajor on July 1, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Good grief. How long did it take you to compose this tripe? It won’t be long before this country is the leader in this sport. We already are in the womens league. Our problem is USA football and Title IX which makes it difficult for colleges to offer men’s soccer. However, we now have a strategy of recruiting for men’s soccer outside of the college route. Look out rest of the world . . . .

KickandSwimMom on July 1, 2014 at 10:00 PM

is it possible to win the thread on page 7 of the comments, You just did IMO!

D-fusit on July 1, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Not so fast.

Hard to tell who’s seriously bashing soccer here & who’s being sarcastic. If you’re serious, step forward.

MichaelGabriel on July 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM

bluegill on July 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM

…I think you’re lying again…frank.

JugEarsButtHurt on July 1, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Great news.
We don’t have to hear about Men’s Kickball again until June of 2018.

Galtian on July 1, 2014 at 9:40 PM

It’s a reprieve from bad collectivist news on the sports front, now we just have to worry about the leftist snot-lockers in government and culture and their collaborators…

ebrown2 on July 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Good grief. How long did it take you to compose this tripe?
KickandSwimMom on July 1, 2014 at 10:00 PM

about 2 minutes. Some of it was tongue in cheek, but seriously, Soccer blows.

You wanna teach American kids something *valuable*, put gloves on ‘em, stick ‘em in a ring, and tell them defend themselves, or little ‘Joey Bag-o-Donuts’ across the ring gets their lunch money.

If you put cleats on your kid…they’d better be looking up from a scrum, or you’re doing them a disservice.

If you have girls…Lacrosse.

For Real. American kids, more than anything, need to re-learn to kick ass. Take their cell-phone, take their little shin-pads off, grab their latte, save the little yellow card for shopping, and give them some pride and self-respect.

a5minmajor on July 1, 2014 at 11:36 PM

a5minmajor on July 1, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Yes, the intelligent use of the mind in conjunction with the hands has been all but criminalized in this country. We’re down 4 million skilled tradesmen, POPULAR MECHANICS is a pathetic shell of its former self (a WIRED wanna-be, for God’s sake), and we have an ex-opera singer running around begging for educators to take vocational education seriously again. Soccer is only a minor symptom of the problem.

ebrown2 on July 2, 2014 at 12:11 AM