McCain on Cochran’s win: I thought Republicans wanted African-Americans voting Republican

posted at 6:41 pm on June 30, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart, a little casual racial demagoguery towards Chris McDaniel’s tea-party base from ol’ Maverick.

“Obviously, I claim credit for [Cochran's victory], but, actually, the reason why he won was that he had a really excellent get-out-the-vote campaign,” McCain told The Arizona Republic. “There are some people who are complaining that African-American voters voted. I thought one of the major priorities of the Republican Party was to get all minority and ethnic voters out to vote for Republicans.”…

McCain has not yet announced whether he will seek a sixth Senate term in 2016. But McCain has acknowledged that he would likely attract a tea-party-style primary opponent, and says he will be ready to rumble if it happens.

“The key to it is you’d better pay attention, you’d better work hard, you’d better organize,” McCain said. “And you’d better understand that there is a strong anti-Washington/anti-incumbency sentiment out there, which is justified, and you’ve got your work cut out for you. If I run again, I know what I’m going to be up against and I know that it’s going to be a long, hard slog. But I enjoy campaigning. I love it. And I love traveling around the state.”

Is that what McDaniel fans are upset about, that black voters turned out? Or are they upset that Democrats, some of them black and energized by sleazy race-oriented dirty tricks against McDaniel, proved decisive in a Republican primary, ensuring that the party’s nomination went to a guy who twice won fewer votes from members of that party than his rival did? The fact that McCain would stoop to this sort of stupid MSNBC-ish lowest-common-denominator troll to dismiss conservative anger is telling. We just watched a network of cronies prop up a feeble old man who’s been in Congress for 40 years by recruiting liberals to tilt a GOP election, and Maverick’s big comeback is “why don’t you want blacks to vote?” We once nominated this guy for president. Why?

If you’re thinking ahead to 2016 and wondering whether he can duplicate what Cochran pulled off, the answer is … probably not. Arizona’s primaries are semi-closed, meaning that you can vote in the Republican election if you’re a registered Republican or unaffiliated. Registered Dems are out. If McCain wants to pull a Thad against some primary challenger, he’ll have to find the votes among indies. It could be, though, that his macro strategy is much the same — i.e. if he ends up falling behind before the primary, he might try to pitch indies on the idea that tea partiers must be stopped at all costs and therefore it’s in their interest to turn out for the incumbent. His problem potentially is that if Democrats nominate a strong candidate to challenge him, all left-leaning indies will be pulling for McCain to lose in the primary so that they can face the untested non-incumbent in the general election. In Mississippi, where the Republican primary inevitably decides who the state’s next senator will be, you don’t have that worry so lefties could vote strategically. Besides, if there’s any battle plan that Maverick’s going to follow, it’s more likely to be his pal Lindsey’s than Cochran’s. Graham trounced the tea party in a red state by using all the levers of incumbency; Cochran campaigned listlessly until the very end and nearly lost. If McCain ends up in a situation more like the latter than the former, something will have gone very wrong for him before 2016.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Willful stupidity.

Nessuno on June 30, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Mocking us gets you nowhere, John McCain

skeeterbite on June 30, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Thank You Arizona, JD Hayworth would have been much worse. /s

In fact, one of the first establishment lies.

Oil Can on June 30, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Screw you john.

tim c on June 30, 2014 at 6:44 PM

What a sleaze-bucket. I’m embarrassed I voted for him.

Fallon on June 30, 2014 at 6:44 PM

RE: Tea Party

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

-GOP & Black Democrats

portlandon on June 30, 2014 at 6:45 PM

What an incredibily stupid statement by a Senator. They voted in a GOP primary. They will vote the D in the general. Can you imagine this guy as President. I know Obama is a bum, but McCain is stupid.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on June 30, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Dear John, I agree with the Democrats who say you should retire. How’ that for “bipartisan”?

Warner Todd Huston on June 30, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Maverick brand stupidity supports the Party Animal, how mavericky of him.

Flange on June 30, 2014 at 6:47 PM

What a friggen’ douchebag the old fool is…

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2014 at 6:48 PM

What is up with all of the Straw men lately? Sale at Walmart or something?

Johnnyreb on June 30, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Conservatives would like to have blacks voting for them, with the intent of electing conservatives to office. Having blacks vote to name an unelectable candidate for the conservatives to have running against a liberal whose only hope for winning is to have a lesser appreciated conservative opponent. Mr. McCain does not seem to know the difference between a primary and a general election. Thanks, Mr. McCain for muddying the waters with your comment.

evie1949 on June 30, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Obviously, John has some open timeslots in his dayplanner and would like to be on TV this week.

ROCnPhilly on June 30, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Not the Liberal Democrat African Amwerican ones ya twit..
….Captain Queeg of Mc….Cains Mutiny of 08′!!

canopfor on June 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$

McCain, Graham, McConnel, Cochran….

—> Start following the money, you’ll know who these jerks really represent.

CrazyGene on June 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM

And now for the Idiot-American take to Senator John McCain…

Red Widow on June 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM

We once nominated this guy for president. Why?

To be fair, the 08 Primary line-up was execrable (the only other guys to win states were Romney and Huckabee…yuck), and the GOP winner was just there to be a sacrificial lamb for the First! Black! President!

The real problems were wasting Sarah in 08, and nominating Mitt in 2012.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 30, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Now would be a good time for Sarah Palin to chime in and either defend this gutless old geezer, or give him the ostracizing he so richly deserves.

goldenrulebelvr on June 30, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Doddering old fool. How many times did his staffers have to remind maverick who Cochran was?

HumpBot Salvation on June 30, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Screw this douchebag putz. I can’t believe I worked phone banks and knocked on doors for him.

Kensington on June 30, 2014 at 6:55 PM

He also loves, not only being an ass, but continuing to make an ass out of himself whenever he can.

I think he’s surpassed Chuckie Schumer as the biggest, most loathsome media whore on Capital Hill.

Athos on June 30, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Will the Usual Suspects please report to HotGas and explain how great this is.

Bishop on June 30, 2014 at 6:56 PM

McCain-You are as senile and corrupt as Cochran.Get the hell out of the GOP and come out of the closet with your bitch Lindsey Graham!

redware on June 30, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Because the establishment is comprised of RINOs just like McCain.

Stoic Patriot on June 30, 2014 at 6:56 PM

This piece of crap needs to get it over with and announce that he’s a democrat.

sadsushi on June 30, 2014 at 6:57 PM

What a sleaze-bucket. I’m embarrassed I voted for him.

Fallon on June 30, 2014 at 6:44 PM

I voted for Palin. Regrettably he happened to be her running mate.

hawkeye54 on June 30, 2014 at 6:57 PM

It’s so nice to have “republicans” direct the same demagoguery towards us that Dems do. Really. /

changer1701 on June 30, 2014 at 6:58 PM

And Sarah Palin is still friends with him?

cat_owner on June 30, 2014 at 6:59 PM

This piece of crap needs to get it over with and announce that he’s a democrat.

sadsushi on June 30, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Meh, he gets more traction being in the GOP and stabbing his own party members instead of dems. He’d never become an official dem because he’d lose much of the media attention he loves and just be another incoherent boob among many in that party.

hawkeye54 on June 30, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Willful stupidity.

Nessuno on June 30, 2014 at 6:42 PM

The rino establishment’s pablum is what the lib establishment feeds its mob. We don’t consume the crap that nourishes the left. Mc Cain should retire.

cthemfly on June 30, 2014 at 7:01 PM

So McCain endorses the use of blatant racism to win the black vote.

Jasper61 on June 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I just had a thought. The Dems are running Hillary, possibly unopposed or semi unopposed. Have the Dems learned something with this Mississippi result. What if they start preparing to vote in the Republican primaries for President? And what if instead of voting for the supposed more electable moderate establishment candidate[Bush-Christie], they voted for the less electable conservative?

Wouldn’t that be ironic? Wonder if the Dodo bird would say the same thing then?

KMav on June 30, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Yes, John, but we want them to vote for Republicans because they support Republican ideals, not vote for them to extort favorable liberal votes from them.

College Prof on June 30, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Mc Cain should retire.

He’s got his years of fame through military experience and politics and a fortune through his attractive wife. Sure are good reasons to retire. Alas, his ego is bigger than he is and won’t let him do so.

hawkeye54 on June 30, 2014 at 7:03 PM

So McCain endorses the use of blatant racism to win the black vote.

Jasper61 on June 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM

That and $2 might garner a couple of black votes. And they would probably be by accident.

hawkeye54 on June 30, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Palin really needs to denounce this clown.

cat_owner on June 30, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Out: My friend…

In: My homie….

hillsoftx on June 30, 2014 at 7:06 PM

That and $2 for a cup of tea might garner a couple of black votes. And they would probably be by accident.

hawkeye54 on June 30, 2014 at 7:04 PM

correction

hawkeye54 on June 30, 2014 at 7:06 PM

I voted for Palin. Regrettably he happened to be her running mate.

hawkeye54 on June 30, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I voted for Palin, as well, but the senile ole asshat was still at the top of the ticket.

Fallon on June 30, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Doddering old fool. He should have quit when he was a hero.

Immolate on June 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I appreciate McCain constantly reminding me why I should never have voted for him for president. He just adds more reasons and makes it easier to vow, never again.

If in my “better judgement” I should not support a Republican nominee, from now on, I will not.

bertielou on June 30, 2014 at 7:09 PM

We once nominated this guy for president. Why?

Because Republican primary voters are gullible and stupid. There, I said it.

And yes, I’ll come right out and say that I’m a self-identified libertarian-conservative before blaming the hawks who were relentlessly beating the war drums in ’08. Yay, it got McCain the nomination but handed Romney the Republican Primary Golden Loser Ticket to 2012.

Aizen on June 30, 2014 at 7:09 PM

If McCain wants to ever really figure out why he lost the election it’s because of saying stupid things like this. Does he really believe African-Americans voted for Cochran? If he’s really that senile, he should retire now and get someone competent in the Senate. They voted against the candidate they’d have the hardest time beating in November.

The establishment has made one huge mistake in Mississippi. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m re-evaluating my opinion of the Republican Party and will really look closely at any 3rd party that’s formed because of this. If there’s a 3rd Party, the Republicans chances of winning, in a 3 man race, will be extremely limited. I hope they understand what they’ve done here and don’t come telling the tea party why they have to vote for them. They did nothing different than Democrats in Mississippi and they do nothing different from Democrats in Congress, for the most part.

bflat879 on June 30, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I voted for Palin. Regrettably he happened to be her running mate.

hawkeye54 on June 30, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Fallon on June 30, 2014 at 7:06 PM

A tragic reality.

hawkeye54 on June 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Liberals, some of whom are black, voted for the situation that would favor them in the general election. And it will probably work.

forest on June 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM

“Build the danged fence Big Tent.” – Jaun McCain

Augustinian on June 30, 2014 at 7:12 PM

The Republican Party is as dead top me as are the DemocRATs…there is no difference, anyway. 3rd party from here on in..otherwise?? Meh…

bimmcorp on June 30, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Let me set the record straight: I only voted for McCain in 2008 because he shamelessly attached himself to the Sarah Palin ticket.

Zuwie on June 30, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I’m starting to think Cochran may have been behind those photos of his own wife in the nursing home.
What with the crap he pulled in the run-off,
I would’nt put it past him.

mrt721 on June 30, 2014 at 7:17 PM

So McCain endorses the use of blatant racism to win the black vote.

Jasper61 on June 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM

hawkeye54 on June 30, 2014 at 7:04 PM

It was more than a couple of votes.

Jasper61 on June 30, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Man, I only thought I hated that old squish.

Grammar Nazi on June 30, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Zuwie on June 30, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Agreed. This kind of blatant pandering McCain is doing is a disgrace.

But to set the record straight, Maverick: Thank You for your service, and as a Vet I am glad you survived that he!!hole Hanoi Hilton…but it is FAR past your time to fly off into the sunset…preferably on your own damn dime.

BlaxPac on June 30, 2014 at 7:21 PM

John the election is disputed…still…

sorrowen on June 30, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Maker – have to eat dinner …..

PolAgnostic on June 30, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Help get every Senator on record as supporting or defending Cochran’s campaign.

I’m tracking them all here.

ChrisL on June 30, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Cold Chill Down My Spine:

Sen. McCain Attacks Fellow Republican Sen. Thad Cochran
Jan 27 2008
************

canopfor on June 30, 2014 at 7:27 PM

McCain you freakin’ dumba$$, they folks aren’t going to vote GOP in November, they’re just trying to gum up the works.

307wolverine on June 30, 2014 at 7:27 PM

The day I voted for him for president I felt dirty, cheap and embarrassed. I kept telling myself that I voted for Palin but in the end I knew deep down I had done the wrong thing. He continues to reaffirm that awful feeling I had on that day.

Big Orange on June 30, 2014 at 7:27 PM

JD, it should have been you.

hawkdriver on June 30, 2014 at 7:29 PM

The establishment assumes that the race is even won for them here in MS.

sorrowen on June 30, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Thad Cochran in 2008: Obama won’t be a disaster if he’s elected
Feb 21 2014
***********

canopfor on June 30, 2014 at 7:30 PM

McCain can climb back under his rock.

sadatoni on June 30, 2014 at 7:31 PM

And in breaking news it has been discovered that John McCain actually died in 2007 and due to a mix up at the coroners office, his body was accidentally released.

Walter L. Newton on June 30, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Has anyone ever heard a Democrat publicly mock the party’s base?

bw222 on June 30, 2014 at 7:33 PM

All of the McDaniel voters should vote for the Democrat since he’s likely to be the more conservative candidate anyway. John should be OK with that, right? Blacks and conservatives voting together..

elliesmom on June 30, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Yeah, so what if it was against another Republican.

How many of these smart— RINOs are going to issue a walkback when it’s statistically illustrated by Nate and Cost that approximately zero of the Democrats will have turned out for Thad ’14 who didn’t vote Republican in 2012 or 2008?

I’m thinking none of them.

HitNRun on June 30, 2014 at 7:38 PM

So McCain endorses the use of blatant racism to win the black vote.

Jasper61 on June 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Hell, McCain endorses the use of blatant racism just to troll conservatives a week after the vote.

Of course, McCain doesn’t hate all conservatives, just the Republican ones.

He’s a maverick, you see. He plays by his own rules and isn’t beholden to party, as everyone in New York knows. Someone find him his teeth.

HitNRun on June 30, 2014 at 7:40 PM

The cranky old “maverick” has gone total azzhole in his old age.

lel2007 on June 30, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Palin needs to piss on the senile old fool!

JugEarsButtHurt on June 30, 2014 at 7:41 PM

JD it should have been you. hawkdriver on June 30, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Nope. He’s a buffoon, too. He would have gone CofC as fast as Flake did.

We should have pushed Frank Antenori to the top.

Hell raising fearless Conservative. Former Green Beret.

One bad-azzed dude.

wolly4321 on June 30, 2014 at 7:42 PM

JD it should have been you. hawkdriver on June 30, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Nope. He’s a buffoon, too. He would have gone CofC as fast as Flake did.

We should have pushed Frank Antenori to the top.

Hell raising fearless Conservative. Former Green Beret.

One bad-azzed dude.

wolly4321 on June 30, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Thank You Arizona, JD Hayworth would have been much worse. /s

In fact, one of the first establishment lies.

Oil Can on June 30, 2014 at 6:44 PM

I loathe McCain and donated to Hayworth, but when a conservative politician does a “get free government money” informercial with a “sleazy” company, his career is over.

bw222 on June 30, 2014 at 7:43 PM

he needs to be in a mental institution.
guy did one dencent thing in his life, and there may be questions there but thats another subject, and has used it as an excuse all his life.

dmacleo on June 30, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Sorry for the double..

wolly4321 on June 30, 2014 at 7:50 PM

he needs to be in a mental institution.

dmacleo on June 30, 2014 at 7:46 PM

He is, it’s called the US Senate.

bgibbs1000 on June 30, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Between her previous support for McCain & Hatch’s re-elections and their loathsome opposition to McDaniel and Mike Lee, Palin is in something of a sticky wicket.

wolfsDad on June 30, 2014 at 7:58 PM

F*CK YOU, JOHN MCCAIN.

Midas on June 30, 2014 at 8:11 PM

What a great way to cement your reputation as someone who completely misses every relevant point.

In his favor, he’s slightly less of an old fossil than Cochran.

But seriously, how pathetic is it that these people make a big deal about how positive it is that African Americans are voting in a Republican primary — and somehow overlook that they’re still Democrats choosing the nominee for the Republican party.

The GOP has a chance here to save themselves and start listening to their base. Will they take it?

I’ve been saying for a while that I had confidence in the Republican party to find a way to blow the greatest opportunity they’ve had in years.

There Goes the Neighborhood on June 30, 2014 at 8:13 PM

McCain is a truly revolting shade of a human being.

“There are some people who are complaining that African-American voters voted.”

No one was complaining that black people voted. They complained that Democrats voted, possibly illegally, to skew a Republican primary.

Stephen L. Hall on June 30, 2014 at 8:13 PM

We all know how terrible Obama has been as pResident but I think we did doge a bullet by not having McRino elected. There would have been no 2010. What is more is that all of the domestic policies of King Barky the Incompetent would have been implemented and more (see no 2010). Maybe foreign policy might be better but i think not. We would be in 3-4 more boots on the ground wars.

Obama will do whatever the NYT/WAPO editorial pages tell him to do and McRino would too. Only McRino would go to 11 and not to 10 like King Barky.

jukin3 on June 30, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Shut up and retire, Mav!

vityas on June 30, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Good ol’ McCain…..flipping the situation on Republicans and intentionally misrepresenting their position. Y’all are RACISTS! Get it? He’s just doing his thang, y’all. Just like the good ol’ days of claiming that conservatives are “anti-immigrant”.

nottakingsides on June 30, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Stephen L. Hall on June 30, 2014 at 8:13 PM

… at the behest of a Republican playing Democrat dirty/racial politics.

Midas on June 30, 2014 at 8:30 PM

There Goes the Neighborhood on June 30, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Stephen L. Hall on June 30, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Serious question: It is my understanding that Mississippi has no party registration, so what is the basis for the claim that Democrats were responsible for Cochran’s victory? Is there any proof?

cam2 on June 30, 2014 at 8:35 PM

I really do hate this smug a*****e

WisCon on June 30, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Well, it’s not enough I’m just going to leave the Senate race blank after Mississippi. Now they’re pushing me to vote for the Democrat.

Marcus on June 30, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Give McCain some strawberries and send him back to his office.

RJL on June 30, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Uncle Toms for Cochran. I swear I wish I had thought of that.

SouthernGent on June 30, 2014 at 8:51 PM

They certainly didn’t vote for you John.

Another Drew on June 30, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Hey, Junior, these guys voted because they were lied to.

The way your friends across the aisle in the Democrat Party do all the time.

formwiz on June 30, 2014 at 8:59 PM

How many of those guys you posed with in Syria are now waving the black ISIS flag and running roughshod over Iraq, John? You know, those “good rebels” in the photo op that they set up for you?

bofh on June 30, 2014 at 9:16 PM

One of the big reason why McCain won the nomination in 2008 is because the field sucked big time. The only good choice (Fred Thompson) got trashed by Fox News every day. By the time Fox News got finished trashing Fred Thompson the only other option was John McCain. Huck was as much a progressive Republican as McCain. When it was time for New Hampshire primary, the head of Pakistan just died. The need for a big time Hawk guy was being pushed by Fox News. Who fits that bill, why it was John McCain.

Fox News pushed John down our throats just like Fox News pushed Mitt down our throats. Next year Fox News will push Bush down our throats.

BroncosRock on June 30, 2014 at 9:22 PM

At the risk of sounding intemperate, I really cannot wait for this particular generation of Republicans to DIE already.

Rusty Nail on June 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM

JUST GO AWAY.

crankyoldlady on June 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM

What with the crap he pulled in the run-off,
I would’nt put it past him.
mrt721 on June 30, 2014 at 7:17 PM

The guy can barely string a coherent sentence together. No, it’s the people running him that are the problem…just like whoevers behind Obama is far more dangerous then that bloviating man-child.

Nutstuyu on June 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM

cam2 on June 30, 2014 at 8:35 PM

I think it’s a deduction based on it being a runoff so supposedly only those who voted in the primary can. It’s in the runoff, but there were somehow more voters in the latter.

Nutstuyu on June 30, 2014 at 9:37 PM

It is about getting out the vote and widening the base. Simple concepts really.

cimbri on June 30, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Nutstuyu on June 30, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I understand that some voters improperly voted in the Republican runoff after first voting in the Democratic primary, which is not permitted. It’s safe to assume those were Democrats. But there is no way to identify any other voters as Dems, absent party registration, which Mississippi does not have. Is it that hard to believe that blacks voters would come out for Cochran after he showed up and actually campaigned for their votes by touting his past support of agriculture, education, highways, health care, disaster relief and historically black colleges?

cam2 on June 30, 2014 at 10:32 PM

So it is smart to have people vote for you in the primaries only to vote against you in the general election? Dishonest.

CW on June 30, 2014 at 10:33 PM

CW on June 30, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Why do you assume they will vote against Cochran in the general election? If they were persuaded enough by his campaign to vote for him in the primary, why not vote for him in the general, especially since the Dem has very little chance of winning. It is a perfectly rational strategy to forge a relationship with the likely winner and advocate for the issues that are important to you.

cam2 on June 30, 2014 at 11:01 PM