McCain on Cochran’s win: I thought Republicans wanted African-Americans voting Republican

posted at 6:41 pm on June 30, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart, a little casual racial demagoguery towards Chris McDaniel’s tea-party base from ol’ Maverick.

“Obviously, I claim credit for [Cochran's victory], but, actually, the reason why he won was that he had a really excellent get-out-the-vote campaign,” McCain told The Arizona Republic. “There are some people who are complaining that African-American voters voted. I thought one of the major priorities of the Republican Party was to get all minority and ethnic voters out to vote for Republicans.”…

McCain has not yet announced whether he will seek a sixth Senate term in 2016. But McCain has acknowledged that he would likely attract a tea-party-style primary opponent, and says he will be ready to rumble if it happens.

“The key to it is you’d better pay attention, you’d better work hard, you’d better organize,” McCain said. “And you’d better understand that there is a strong anti-Washington/anti-incumbency sentiment out there, which is justified, and you’ve got your work cut out for you. If I run again, I know what I’m going to be up against and I know that it’s going to be a long, hard slog. But I enjoy campaigning. I love it. And I love traveling around the state.”

Is that what McDaniel fans are upset about, that black voters turned out? Or are they upset that Democrats, some of them black and energized by sleazy race-oriented dirty tricks against McDaniel, proved decisive in a Republican primary, ensuring that the party’s nomination went to a guy who twice won fewer votes from members of that party than his rival did? The fact that McCain would stoop to this sort of stupid MSNBC-ish lowest-common-denominator troll to dismiss conservative anger is telling. We just watched a network of cronies prop up a feeble old man who’s been in Congress for 40 years by recruiting liberals to tilt a GOP election, and Maverick’s big comeback is “why don’t you want blacks to vote?” We once nominated this guy for president. Why?

If you’re thinking ahead to 2016 and wondering whether he can duplicate what Cochran pulled off, the answer is … probably not. Arizona’s primaries are semi-closed, meaning that you can vote in the Republican election if you’re a registered Republican or unaffiliated. Registered Dems are out. If McCain wants to pull a Thad against some primary challenger, he’ll have to find the votes among indies. It could be, though, that his macro strategy is much the same — i.e. if he ends up falling behind before the primary, he might try to pitch indies on the idea that tea partiers must be stopped at all costs and therefore it’s in their interest to turn out for the incumbent. His problem potentially is that if Democrats nominate a strong candidate to challenge him, all left-leaning indies will be pulling for McCain to lose in the primary so that they can face the untested non-incumbent in the general election. In Mississippi, where the Republican primary inevitably decides who the state’s next senator will be, you don’t have that worry so lefties could vote strategically. Besides, if there’s any battle plan that Maverick’s going to follow, it’s more likely to be his pal Lindsey’s than Cochran’s. Graham trounced the tea party in a red state by using all the levers of incumbency; Cochran campaigned listlessly until the very end and nearly lost. If McCain ends up in a situation more like the latter than the former, something will have gone very wrong for him before 2016.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Why do you assume they will vote against Cochran in the general election? If they were persuaded enough by his campaign to vote for him in the primary, why not vote for him in the general, especially since the Dem has very little chance of winning. It is a perfectly rational strategy to forge a relationship with the likely winner and advocate for the issues that are important to you.

cam2 on June 30, 2014 at 11:01 PM

By suborning illegal votes and calling Tea Partiers racist?

No thanks.

ebrown2 on June 30, 2014 at 11:17 PM

McCain lost his marbles a long time ago.

MCGIRV on June 30, 2014 at 11:26 PM

I cannot say this enough…
TERM LIMITS!!!

fight like a girl on June 30, 2014 at 11:40 PM

I can’t wait to see the same black voters voting for Thad.
Who is the democRAT running in MS? I can’t wait to see how they voted in November.
Then we’ll have our answer, huh, John?

Good Lord,
This man is NOT part of the solution, he IS the stale problem.

mmcnamer1 on July 1, 2014 at 12:03 AM

McCain again adds nothing to the debate beyond his grandstanding confusion of the issues.

virgo on July 1, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Yep John….for $15 dollars for each vote

Conservative4Ever on July 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM

It won’t be too long before we hear that John was lost in a parking lot without his pants murmuring, “I could have been a contender”.

celtic warrior on July 1, 2014 at 3:33 AM

What does it take to drum somebody out of the party? This hanyack needs to be set out to pasture. He has been a Democrat for at least a decade. I would regret having voted for him, but the alternative, Obama, was so much worse.

Theophile on July 1, 2014 at 4:54 AM

Cochran Campaign Manager Busted in Illegal Vote Buying Operation
Gotnews ^ | 6/30/2014 | Charles C. Johnson and Joel S. Gilbert

and Senators Wicker, Murkowski, Portman, Alexander, Hatch, Grassley, Barrasso, Thune, Cornyn, Corker, Collins, Ayotte, Heller, Shelby and McConnell all helped Thad Cochran do it!

gracie on July 1, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I will not vote for McCain, and I know a lot of conservatives who will not.

And humor like that displayed here is not appreciated.

ha_tspc on July 1, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Ask all Republican politicians if they agree with McCain’s comment. It’s the perfect question. You get to learn what the person is made of by their answer. Quickest way to construct The List.

Buddahpundit on July 1, 2014 at 10:21 AM

o McCain endorses the use of blatant racism to win the black vote.

Jasper61 on June 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM

That and $2 might garner a couple of black votes. And they would probably be by accident.

hawkeye54 on June 30, 2014 at 7:04 PM

It was more than a couple of votes.

Jasper61 on June 30, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Clearly failure to communicate on my part. I refer to the general election to come, where Thad may be getting no more than 20% of the black vote I’d gather, not knowing Mississippi’s record for blacks voting GOP opposing a dem candidate as loyal a voting block blacks are for dems.

hawkeye54 on July 1, 2014 at 10:38 AM

celtic warrior on July 1, 2014 at 3:33 AM

Cochran could probably relate to that if he loses in November.

hawkeye54 on July 1, 2014 at 10:39 AM

They will not vote Republican when Cochran runs against a Democrat in the general election, John. How much dumber can you get?

kjatexas on July 1, 2014 at 11:02 AM

How much dumber can you get?

kjatexas on July 1, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Pleas, don’t encourage him.

hawkeye54 on July 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Once again, McCain has revealed himself as totally out of touch, arrogant, and clueless. He lives in lala land.

ultracon on July 1, 2014 at 1:37 PM

So John McCain supports buying votes and thinks these tactics should be supported and models for further elections.Would you please institute these tactics in his next reelection bid?

mgj48 on July 1, 2014 at 6:54 PM

How much dumber can you get?

kjatexas on July 1, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Pleas, don’t encourage him.

hawkeye54 on July 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Yes, I don’t want to know the answer to that question either. But we will probably find out all too soon.

If the Republicans were to win 51 seats in the Senate in the 2014 election, It would not surprise me to see McCain switch parties just to screw us over.

s1im on July 1, 2014 at 8:26 PM

When the people you thought were your own start calling you names maybe it is time to leave. If that means Democrats win, so be it. Both parties are calling me names. Perhaps if the country is that united against me it’s time to let the country go its potty own way into the sewer. I just wish I had a safe bolthole for the coming train wreck.

{o.o}