“Several” Republican senators reportedly uneasy with GOP’s tactics in Mississippi runoff

posted at 2:41 pm on June 27, 2014 by Allahpundit

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that it’s not the tactics themselves that bother them as much as the attention those tactics are receiving from conservative voters.

Says Red State’s Leon Wolf, “If any of these bastards want to avoid the fallout they should go on the record.”

According to these conversations [with two Republican Senate staffers], some $800,000 was raised for Cochran by his Senate colleagues after the McDaniel victory in the primary’s first round, largely under the rubric of the National Republican Senatorial Committee. This wasn’t seen as a particularly controversial matter at the time; the NRSC is an organization by and for the Republican members of the Senate and Cochran had raised money for his colleagues in the past, so there would have been no reason to deny him help. “It’s just what you do,” said one of the staffers. “It’s generally accepted that we probably can’t win the Senate if we lose our own people, so when Cochran’s people ask for help raising money, the answer is yes.”

Though there were published reports to the effect—and Barbour was open about it—that Cochran’s runoff strategy was to “expand the electorate” by seeking Democratic votes in a Republican primary, there wasn’t a lot of attention paid to where the funds being raised would go. And moreover, when Cochran lost a close race to McDaniel in the first round, there was a general assumption that his goose was cooked. “Nobody thought he’d win regardless of what he did,” said the staffer. “If you’re an incumbent and you’re behind a challenger that close to avoiding a runoff, you’re usually behind the eight-ball.”

As such, the staffers say, it wasn’t until Wednesday, when the fallout began to descend, that Cochran’s tactics became an issue. And now, several senators are more than a little uneasy with those tactics, which they feel responsible for since they raised money for Cochran.

AmSpec offers no names but says there’s “soul-searching” going on among “the Senate’s more outspoken conservatives” for not doing more to help McDaniel when they had the chance. *cough* (Rand Paul, of course, seems to think it was just awesome that Cochran won his party’s nomination with votes from the other party.) Was this, though, as Mollie Hemingway thinks, ultimately a pyrrhic victory for the GOP establishment? Before you say yes, tell me what you’re willing to do to punish the party for kitchen-sinking a guy who not only received the most votes in the first round of the primary but who, by wide consensus, won more Republican votes in the runoff too? Withholding donations is fine, but don’t kid yourselves: Money’s the one thing that GOP incumbents and the NRSC don’t want for. If they lose $10 million from the base in boycotted contributions, Sheldon Adelson can make it up for them in one check to the right Super PAC.

Are you willing to go this far?

Should the Republican establishment in Washington get away with tarring its own voters as racists? Should the Republican establishment in Washington get away with comparing its own base to Klansmen?

If there is no penalty for doing so, they will keep doing it. If there is no consequence, they will attack their own base to preserve their power. They will learn no lesson. In fact, some of you may want to donate to Travis Childers, Thad Cochran’s Democrat opponent. I cannot say that I blame you.

Cochran will now put the highest bidders first. The GOP will carry out this tactic of calling you racist klansmen Nazis everywhere it works. I would like to see the GOP get the majority and oust Harry Reid as leader. But I understand if you think Mississippi can still be sacrificed.

All true. If Cochran trounces Childers in the general election, the lesson learned by Republican incumbents will be that there’s no cost to beating conservative challengers by any means necessary. You guys will always turn out for them in November on the theory that the Democrat is worse, no matter how nasty to you they are in the primary, so they might as well be as nasty as they like. The question is, is the Democrat worse this time? He may be worse than Cochran on policy, but is he worse than the filthy patronage system that supports Cochran and which he supports in turn? That’s what you’re voting for, whether you like it or not, if you vote for Thad.

There are risks here. Electing Childers could give the Democrats the 50th Senate seat they need in the fall to preserve their majority. (Biden would cast the deciding vote in case of 50/50 ties, of course.) That’s not a big risk on legislation given that Republicans will control the House but it’s a huge risk on Supreme Court nominations, if/when Harry Reid ends up nuking the filibuster and allowing confirmation by simple majority vote. If O knows he can get a nominee through with just 51 votes, he’ll feel safer nominating someone who’s further left. Also, the more seats you hand to Democrats now, the better position they’ll be in come 2016, when they’re expected to clean up in battleground states. Sean Trende thinks there’s even a (small) chance that Democrats will win a filibuster-proof majority. If you sacrifice Mississippi now, you’re making that marginally more likely.

The counterargument is simple, though: If not now, when? The GOP might do well enough in the fall to retake the Senate even if they lose Mississippi. If they don’t retake it, that’s not a disaster — this is, by Nate Silver’s estimate, the “least important election in years” because control of the upper chamber matters so little. The GOP will have more leverage over Court confirmations if they have a majority, but who knows if there’ll even be a vacancy on the Court? And gridlock on legislation is a fait accompli given Obama’s standoff with the Republican House regardless of what the Senate does. If you’re unwilling to risk a protest vote for a Democrat after the grotesque spectacle of a group of GOP cronies using liberal votes to prop up an elderly man whose heart isn’t in it anymore, you’ll never be willing. And if you’re unwilling, maybe it’s time to stop complaining about Cochran and cronyism and the rest of it and accept that this is who we are and who we’re going to be.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

The GOP & Cochran/Haley Barbur need to be punished for this by the Mississippi voters.

Vote Democrat. Prove once and for all that the TEA party is not owned by any one party.

If you don’t make an example out of them, their tactics will be the new normal.

portlandon on June 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM

The deal is you have to add the link. It doesn’t count if you don’t add the link.

I can’t get my tribute page unless a link is added. so please post it again with the link ok. Thank you!

coolrepublica on June 27, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Now that I introduce myself. Let me say what I am here for.

Ok. bye now!

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

NotCoach on June 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Somebody spiked the tea.

portlandon on June 27, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Perfect…send that one to McDaniel’s campaign.

gracie on June 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM

This is especially true of Ted Cruz and Mike Lee, who profited immensely from the tea party and are not to be found when there is work to be done that doesnt directly concern their careers.

Red Widow on June 27, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Not only did Cruz not come out in support of McDaniel, but he congratulated Cochran instantly.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I don’t live anywhere near Mississippi but on Monday morning I am going to call the local offices for my Congressman, Senator and Governor – Republicans all – and leave a message that SHOULD catch their attention.

“While I have been a supporter of yours until now, the tactics used in the Mississippi campaign and the money poured in from GOP establishment PACS have established that I can no longer vote for ANY Republican. The established Republican politicians h

PolAgnostic on June 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Ok. bye now!

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

You’re insane.

CW on June 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Ford O’Connell ‏@FordOConnell 2m

Thought of day: The #MSSEN race had and still has more twists & turns than a John Grisham novel!

Ha! If you don’t know it, Grisham is from MS. Yeah, this would make a plot for one of his books.

INC on June 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM

NotCoach on June 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Still no link. It’s not rocket science. lol

Liiiiinnnnnkkkkk.

coolrepublica on June 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Rook on June 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I was wrong. I thought JoJo or Mooseart would be the first moron to show up.

RickB on June 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM

If you don’t make an example out of them, their tactics will be the new normal.

portlandon on June 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM

NO…Dems got a long history of this junk, too…don’t give Reid or Obama any oxygen Get McDaniel on the ballot as a write-in. He’ll win.

gracie on June 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Does anyone think Cochran will finish another 6 year term? It seems to me the quickest way to take the Mississippi seat is let Cochran win, then when he retires or kicks the bucket in the next few years and a local hack is appointed, defeat him or her in the election to fill out the term.

That could potentially happen within a few years. Seems better than putting a Democrat in there for 6 years.

Captain Kirock on June 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM

TEA PARTY HAS COST US THE SENATE FOR THE LAST TWO ELECTIONS. NOW YOU WANT TO PICK UP YOUR TOYS AND GO HOME, WELL GO G.D.YOU ALL.

Rook on June 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM

YOU’ll Never win anything again, ever. Go join the D-latrine-rats, genius.

Lugar supports the D in GA and he never supported the guy who beat him.

Same happened in UT and Alaska.

Now, you be god-damned.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Even if the Dems only have 50 seats, Obama can nominate whatever rabid leftist he pleases, and there will still be enough GOP leftist/squishy f*ckwits in the Senate to confirm them anyway.

Midas on June 27, 2014 at 3:12 PM

It”ll be worse than that. If the repubs have 51 or 52 seats, the likes of Graham, McCain, and other squishes will still go along with Obama’s leftist nominees on the grounds that when they win the presidency in 2016 they will then be able to confirm conservatives to the court. Same old crap.

shubalstearns on June 27, 2014 at 3:18 PM

gracie on June 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Too late for a write-in or indie run.

If McDaniel even wins the vote count, it’s too late because they poisoned the majority.

DON’T VOTE – LET IT BURN.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Captain Kirock on June 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Yesterday Wethal said Cochran would retire and Barbour’s nephew would be appointed to the seat.

INC on June 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Still no link. It’s not rocket science. lol

Liiiiinnnnnkkkkk.

coolrepublica on June 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Nor is it rocket surgery.

Now that I introduce myself. Let me say what I am here for.

Ok. bye now!

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

NotCoach on June 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Rook on June 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I got news for you chump. This is our home. Why don’t you go back to NJ, TDB, or which ever one of those rocks you crawl out of.

rik on June 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Whoever thinks MS will elect a Dem clearly does not live in MS.

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM

You’re insane.

CW on June 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM

From you I will consider it a compliment. ;-) muchos gracias!

coolrepublica on June 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM

DON’T VOTE – LET IT BURN.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Rand Paul won’t like that!!

rik on June 27, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Karl Rove had no regrets. He had a column in the journal titled, Tea Party Groups Take a Beating. In which he went on to praise the strategy of Cochran and mock the tea party.

KRCGFH

kevinkristy on June 27, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Charles C. Johnson ‏@ChuckCJohnson 1m

Democrat poll worker admits mass fraud in Hinds County…#mssen pic.twitter.com/o7rVHLOEfX

INC on June 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM

INC on June 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Right, and then there will be another election for the seat to fill out the term. It seems better than waiting until 2020.

Captain Kirock on June 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Registered Republican voters are no longer represented by their elected officials.

What a shame.

Marco Rubio is a prime example of why I am now an unaffiliated voter.

Key West Reader on June 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Of course it was the last comment on a page. Repost:

I’m actually surprised at the number (albeit small) of commenters on here who don’t have the same perspective that seems so obvious to the many rest of us. That nothing but shame and derision is worthy for someone whom will forego their Party’s principles, add fuel to an already contrived media perception on matters of race, raise the level of sleaze and nastiness, and ultimately damaging the brand of which you’ve entrusted your name all to the benefit of personal political ambition.
I really figured how nakedly crystal clear this is would so obviously be in its unanimity.
anuts on June 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM

anuts on June 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Conservatives gave the GOP the House in 2010 and the Tea Party played a major role in it.

How many radisal leftists has GOP Senate ever blocked? There always are enough Corkers, Kirks and Collins to give Obama what he wants. ObamaCare never would have cleared Senate Committee were it not for Olympia Snowe.

Rather than saying, “we appreciate your help,” John Boehner, the RNC, NRSC and NRCC have done everything in their power to alienate conservatives over the last four years.

I am not only planning to donate to Cochran’s opponent, I also am planning to donate to McConnell’s opponent.

bw222 on June 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Allahpundit’s last paragraph nails it. Obama is governing via Executive Order/Fiat, so the loss of one (R) seat in MS won’t mean a hot damns difference. Vote your conscious.

sybilll on June 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM

If the GOPe candidate can win the republican primary with democrat votes, then the GOPe sure as heck doesn’t need my vote in the general election.

RIGHT?!?!?!

flyovermark on June 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM

From you I will consider it a compliment. ;-) muchos gracias!

coolrepublica on June 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Hey, why don’t you tell us a cute little story about how when you drove through Detroit one time everyone was wearing KKK hoods. Maybe make it a sequel to your Alabama fable?

That’s nice. Again it’s the kind of attitude that is great to have. About 9 years ago I drove through Alabama. I had the same great attitude you have then before I drove through Alabama. And then I made a few stops in Alabama. Every stop I made, I was reminded of how black I was. Alabama Was the university I never thought I would go to, and I went through that course in 1 day. I have never been stared at so much in my life. My husband is white so maybe it was him being with me. people were literally standing around our car staring at us. Everywhere. I am pretty, but I am not that damn beautiful. When I went to the convenience store people were looking at me as if I was about to steal their kids. lol

Ok, imagine those Steven King movies when the stranger comes to town and everybody is wondering what that person is doing in this town before they off that person off. Yeah I felt like I was in a Steven king novel. The whole state of Alabama was a freaky novel. Maybe I hit all the rough patches at once. lol But I was reminding of my blackness in the state of Alabama. So I make it a point to teach my not white looking child, that even though she her siblings are both from my vajayjay, she will always get the looks the others don’t get in Alabama. And I explain the history as to why that is. I am just being honest with my child.

coolrepublica on May 23, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I think Alabamians have a message for you, from you.

Now that I introduce myself. Let me say what I am here for.

Ok. bye now!

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

NotCoach on June 27, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Whoever thinks MS will elect a Dem clearly does not live in MS.

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Indeed.

They would more likely se.cede along with Texas, Louisiana, Alabama with the odds of that increasing as DC becomes more lawless.

viking01 on June 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Rand Paul won’t like that!!

rik on June 27, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Fluke him.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Rook on June 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Why the tea party? There were loads of establishment candidates who lost their elections. So why didnt the establishment cost us the senate?

Red Widow on June 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Dayam Gurl!

/Da hell?

Key West Reader on June 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Very true. We can’t beat the GOP establishment with money. The only weapon we have is our votes.

bw222 on June 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Does anyone think that meth addict is gonna live much longer?
Seems to me the quickest way to get your house back from the squatter is to let him have the run of the place and then when he dies go in, clean it up and get on with your life.

Captain Kirock on June 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM

It isn’t better or worse. It’s exactly the same as putting a Democrat in there which is the problem.

sharrukin on June 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Whoever thinks MS will elect a Dem clearly does not live in MS.

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Problem is, Childers is a moderate blue dog, and never ever mentions his (D) affiliation. He campaigns as a Conservative. Look it up. Try to find a (D) in any commercial he has ever released. Go ahead.

sybilll on June 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Rand Paul won’t like that!!

rik on June 27, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Fluke him.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Cruel and unusual punishment for Rand. Maybe he can fling some free rubbers at her or something.

Key West Reader on June 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Key West Reader on June 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I think her parents were related.

kingsjester on June 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM

When Cochran lost a close race to McDaniel in the first round, there was a general assumption that his goose was cooked. “Nobody thought he’d win regardless of what he did,” said the staffer. “If you’re an incumbent and you’re behind a challenger that close to avoiding a runoff, you’re usually behind the eight-ball.”

Huh? So they thought he was going to lose but they gave him money anyway? What kind of logic is that?

WhatSlushfund on June 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM

From you I will consider it a compliment. ;-) muchos gracias!

coolrepublica on June 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM

That would be ‘muchas gracias, Needlenose. Even your Spanish sucks.

bimmcorp on June 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM

sybilll on June 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM

No, one seat could mean the difference in controlling the Senate and there probably will be vacancies on the Supreme Court in the next two years.

Captain Kirock on June 27, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Taylor Budowich @TaylorBudowich · 2m

Poll worker in Hinds County contacted me. Was not told 2 reject crossover voters. Witnessed votes that she now knows 2 B illegal. #mssen

INC on June 27, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I think her parents were related.

kingsjester on June 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Pity her kids.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Just what I’ve been saying in a couple of earlier posts. The republican senate will not block a leftist nominee to the SC. They never have. Its only the Dems who block repub SC nominees(think Bork).

shubalstearns on June 27, 2014 at 3:29 PM

The issue Thad and Haley ran into besides a public opinion buzz saw is southerners have no patience for people stealing the elections. Thad just pissed off a lot of the state and he is in hiding now. Also MS electing Dem is well absurd…

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Rook on June 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM

All caps. The sign of maturity. lol.

bw222 on June 27, 2014 at 3:30 PM

NotCoach on June 27, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I am really sorry that my experience in Alabama, when you were not around to experience it with me, bothers you. But it was what it was. And I don’t have time machine so I am not going back 10 years and drive trough and not stop so deal with it. soooorrrry!:-(

But let’s get back to serious issues here. You really can’t figure out a way to add that link can you?

Can someone help this brother out and tell him how to add links. My tribute can’t wait. lol

coolrepublica on June 27, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Still no link. It’s not rocket science. lol

Liiiiinnnnnkkkkk.

coolrepublica on June 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Here you go.

Ward Cleaver on June 27, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Does anyone think that meth addict is gonna live much longer?

sharrukin on June 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Wow. Talk about a “false equivalence.” Lol!

Captain Kirock on June 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM

All caps. The sign of maturity. lol.

bw222 on June 27, 2014 at 3:30 PM

HEY! HE DOES BOOM-BOOM ALL BY HIMSELF NOW! HE AIN’T NO CHILD!

NotCoach on June 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM

This has to be some of the most scrambled thinking I’ve ever heard of. These people are idiots.

WhatSlushfund on June 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM

You’re insane.

CW on June 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM

It’s been fascinating watching the mask come off these phony “moderates” and “unity firsters.”

Doomberg on June 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Independent……………….

VegasRick on June 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Captain Kirock on June 27, 2014 at 3:28 PM

So what…John Roberts worked out peachy keen, didn’t he??

bimmcorp on June 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

sharrukin on June 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM

MS voters just voted for Haley Barbour’s nephew. Cochran will step down/retire in his first year and the Establishment will install Cochran’s replacement.

/Pass me my cigar and my smoking jacket… I’ll take a brandy too while you’re at it, missy.

The WHIGS.

Key West Reader on June 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

That would be ‘muchas gracias, Needlenose. Even your Spanish sucks.

bimmcorp on June 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Her Zimbabwean English

I have just being bought

— coolrepublica

That link will become the new glutch. hahahaha. My own tribute.

A girl can dream.

Work it scrumpy. Do your magic. 1 month minimum.

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

“While I have been a supporter of yours until now, the tactics used in the Mississippi campaign and the money poured in from GOP establishment PACS have proved that I can no longer vote for ANY Republican. The established Republican politicians have demonstrated their ONLY loyalty is to the agenda of the large campaign donors by sitting by SILENTLY and letting the NRSC, PAC’s and the corrupt politicians slander coonservatives to re-elect someone who has NO principles or morals.

Accordingly, when I go to vote in November, I will for the first time in my life vote AGAINST EVERY Republican candidate since it seems losing your ELITE positions is the FIRST step required to stop the corruption and end the detachment of the Reprublicn representatives.

If, on the other hand, you wish to demonstrate that you find the debacle in Mississippi as offensive as many of your supporters, I expect you to PERSONALLY make a video statement in opposition to Mr. Cochran’s candidacy and to call on him to withdraw from the race and endorse Thad McDaniel.

You know this famous quote:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Your “Do Nothing” option is OFF the table. Time to choose whether you value your principles and honor …. or just the perks of your ELECTED position.”

Please feel free to use whatever portion of this you find worthwhile when you contact YOUR elected Republican officials.

Sophie? If you read this and are willing, please make this a post on your blog in one form or another.

PolAgnostic on June 27, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Captain Kirock on June 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM

No need for a hack. McDaniel should be the appointed candidate. He is the Republican who got the highest number of Republican votes. He should be paving the way for Cochran to “retire”.

monalisa on June 27, 2014 at 3:33 PM

no way McDaniel can get on the ballot,

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Don’t know. Is it possible for McDaniel to be a write-in candidate?

oldleprechaun on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Schady… she’s not feeling well today. I say let it be. We all have days like this lately, right?

:::smooches:::

Key West Reader on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

At the top is a photo of black Americans–it looks like one from the Civil Right marches during the mid-60′s, with a photo of McDaniel superimposed on the right side peering at them and looking Pensive. Underneath it says the Tea Party intends to prevent you from voting.

INC on June 27, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Pretty ugly.

butch on June 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Of course, the Tea Party actually did announce a program designed explicitly to discourage black voters in the runoff, so you can’t really criticize the add too much.

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Mcdaniels would have been the ‘easier’ candidate to defeat in November for the democrats.

If these democratic voters would vote for Cochran now there is a good chance they will also vote for him in.

I have no qualms in trying to attract democratic voters.Don’t candidates try to attract the other party’s voters in the general election.

If democrats really wanted the best chance to defeat Cochran they would have voted for Mcdaniel.

gerrym51 on June 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM

no way McDaniel can get on the ballot,
Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 2:47 PM
Don’t know. Is it possible for McDaniel to be a write-in candidate?
oldleprechaun on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM
If McDaniel finds about 2,000 more fraudulent votes then the election will be void.

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM

coolrepublica on June 27, 2014 at 3:30 PM

No it wasn’t. That story is funny as hell, but it is also the delusional ramblings of someone who wants to see racism.

I wouldn’t dare suggest your experiences didn’t happen or that you were imagining things simply because you wanted/needed them so badly, but I will point out that 25% of Alabama is black (vs 13% nationally) and I’m doubting you were a particularly unusual sight. Especially in the cities like Birmingham (70%+ black) or Montgomery (50%+). Since you decided you’d mention U of A specifically: Tuscaloosa County is 30% black, Tuscaloosa proper was 40%+ black when you say you visited, and UA’s population mimics the national numbers at 12%.

Maybe it was something else? Perhaps folks were just waiting for y’all to respond when they tried to be friendly and said hello. Southerners are weird that way.

Regardless, I’d ask you to look more thoughtfully at the scenario. Perhaps you will find there is another explanation if you can narrow your specific experience down a bit more. Think back and see if you can possibly pinpoint some other single variable you know for sure was involved each time you met all of the different people that made you feel like you were in a freaky novel. If you do that I suspect you’ll discover that you had one common and distinct thread tying your experience together, and that’s more likely your root of your Alabama experience.

rogerb on May 24, 2014 at 6:35 AM

I still need 42 more credits for my brain science degree.

Now that I introduce myself. Let me say what I am here for.

Ok. bye now!

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

NotCoach on June 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM

no way McDaniel can get on the ballot,

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Don’t know. Is it possible for McDaniel to be a write-in candidate?

oldleprechaun on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

They are looking into it.

I honestly think it is a waste of time and resources to prove election fraud. A write in is the perfect alternative for a situation like this.

And who in the world has voting laws like this? Primaries should be closed to avoid situations like this. I renounced my RNC so I won’t be able to vote in the primary – whatevah!

Key West Reader on June 27, 2014 at 3:36 PM

That would be ‘muchas gracias, Needlenose. Even your Spanish sucks.

bimmcorp on June 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Get ready to be driven mad. I am going to write No problemo! haha

coolrepublica on June 27, 2014 at 3:37 PM

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Yes, how dare those reich-wing whackjobs watch for vote fraud. /

Doomberg on June 27, 2014 at 3:37 PM

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

It’s not surprising to see you equate working to prevent fraudulent voting with racism. People are furious that the GOPe has called the conservative base racists.

INC on June 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

So what…John Roberts worked out peachy keen, didn’t he??

bimmcorp on June 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Yeah, but we are still going into a Supreme Court nomination fight with a very dangerous and desperate Obama. You want to have the best hand available when you sit down for that card game and another Dem in the Senate hurts that hand.

Captain Kirock on June 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I hate to wade too deep into this whole MS mess, BUT here goes. I think the politics was clearly nasty on both parts and the loser was going to have grievances with the other side no matter what.

As a Texan, I just feel sorry for the fine people of MS that these two were all they had to choose from.

Tater Salad on June 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

NotCoach on June 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I am going to take a wild guess and say you live in Alabama.

coolrepublica on June 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

WhatSlushfund on June 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Just another admission from inside the GOPe hive-mind that ‘we’ are not part of ‘them’.

Got that conservatives? Need another clue? The GOP doesn’t consider us to be their ‘own people’.

Midas on June 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

So, wanting to discourage dead people voting harms the black community, down here in Mississippi?

Are you a racist?

kingsjester on June 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Whoever thinks MS will elect a Dem clearly does not live in MS.

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM

sybilll on June 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Yes, this is the problem. Childers is simply more appealing than Cochran – which is why democrats fought so hard to put Cochran over the top.

Pork-Chop on June 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Rook

Another fact-challenged rinotard I see. Let me guess, you believe the Tea Party hates black people and wants to take us back to the days of Jim Crow too, right?

xblade on June 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

You’re so full of sh*t your eyes are brown. If they’re blue, you’re a quart low.

Key West Reader on June 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Yay, another f*ckwitted, slackjawed crapweasel weighs in.

Midas on June 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Allah hit a homer.

Here in Va, the establishment henchman for Cantor just drained several hundred thousand dollars from the 7th distrcit piggy bank which would have helped Brat in the general. They want our votes and support and unification while they work behind the scenes screwing conservative candidates. cantors chief of staff supported the corrupt McAulife in the governors race against a conservative. They want to do what’s right—Cochran can claim health issues and walk away. Put their new found empathy into practice. otherwise, they can play politics by themselves. Hypocrites.

cthemfly on June 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I’ve long been thinking of renouncing my Republican Party affiliation. Shenanigans like what happened in MS really piss me off about the establishment GOP, and I get oh-so close to doing so. I’m waiting for a signal from someone, a small start turning into a steamroller of a mass exodus from the Republican ranks. As it is now I hate the GOP. Maybe a new conservative Bull Moose V.2 party?

otlset on June 27, 2014 at 3:40 PM

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

It’s amazing the lies leftists will tell themselves to prop up their own prejudices.

Nobody but Cochran cared about the black vote, and he only cared about it in as much as it would get him past McDaniel. Everyone else was concerned with fraud, which it is becoming readily apparent was committed on a massive scale. Coolrepublica has a message for you:

Now that I introduce myself. Let me say what I am here for.

Ok. bye now!

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

NotCoach on June 27, 2014 at 3:41 PM

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Fluke off, racist.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Tater Salad on June 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Don’t justify what Cochran, Barbour and the GOPe did by using moral equivalence to smear McDaniel.

kingsjester on June 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

INC on June 27, 2014 at 3:41 PM

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

“The laws in Mississippi are unusually open to poll watching from the outside,” said Mr. Cuccinelli, a former Virginia attorney general. “We’re going to take full advantage of that and we’re going to lay eyes on Cochran’s effort to bring Democrats in,” he added. “And of course, if they voted in primaries, that’s illegal.

Those racist bastards! Expecting black dimbocraps to abide by the law! The dims (like you) will tell us “their black!, they always do illegal stuff! It’s what they do!”

I normally have a little respect for you but this is just pure BS on your part. Read the frigging article.

VegasRick on June 27, 2014 at 3:41 PM

PolAgnostic on June 27, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Who is ‘Thad McDaniel’? Other than that…nice letter!!

bimmcorp on June 27, 2014 at 3:42 PM

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Let’s hope that happens.

That would ruin Boss Tweed’s Haley Barbour’s day.

viking01 on June 27, 2014 at 3:42 PM

monalisa on June 27, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I agree. Whether McDaniel has that kind of pull with the governor’s office or not, I don’t know but he should be the pick.

Captain Kirock on June 27, 2014 at 3:42 PM

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

INC on June 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

White people throwing up a ring around black polling places in Mississippi is so obvious an attempt at voter intimidation and harassment that I feel embarrassed on your behalf if you don’t see it. Or were there volunteers to harass voters at white precincts, as well?

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:42 PM

:::smooches:::

Key West Reader on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Back at you, KWR

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM

My 2cents worth on this MS debacle.

This was a trial run for the GOP to test the waters to see how easily swayed black voters would be, pretty easy it seems.

Took a game plan right out of rules for radicals, they did.

This is how the GOP will persuade blacks everywhere to vote GOP, they will bad mouth the TP at every chance they get from here on out.

The GOP will steal votes away from the dems at every avenue.

And that’s my take on it.

The beginning of the end of the TP and conservatives.

Scrumpy on June 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Captain Kirock on June 27, 2014 at 3:42 PM

He doesn’t have that pull. Last night someone said the gov. is tied to Barbour. I believe he was actually Barbour’s Lt. Gov.

INC on June 27, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I am going to take a wild guess and say you live in Alabama.

coolrepublica on June 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Never been there, I live in the Detroit Tri-County Area. But when a state is 25% black the fabulist experience you described is a total crock. So…

Now that I introduce myself. Let me say what I am here for.

Ok. bye now!

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

NotCoach on June 27, 2014 at 3:44 PM

otlset on June 27, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Wow, I honestly don’t know wtf signal you’re waiting for that hasn’t already been blinking at you in large 50ft neon letters every 10 feet for the last few years.

Midas on June 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I’ve long been thinking of renouncing my Republican Party affiliation

Changed mine to “independent status” yesterday. The events in MS have opened my eyes to the corruption in the GOP.

shubalstearns on June 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:42 PM

YOU are the racists. YOU keep the blacks unemployed. See this you fool.

Also, see how your party and the Cochrans employ illegals, to your detriment, blue/white color legal workers.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Or were there volunteers to harass voters at white precincts, as well?

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Black panthers from Philly were not seen in the area………..

VegasRick on June 27, 2014 at 3:46 PM

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:42 PM

There were no reports of that happening.

You don’t live here. Your source was the NY Times.

However, there were reports of the Cochran Campaign handing out “walking around money” to the poor black Democrats in Hinds County.

kingsjester on June 27, 2014 at 3:46 PM

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Nice try. Won’t fly.

butch on June 27, 2014 at 3:46 PM

So what…John Roberts worked out peachy keen, didn’t he??

bimmcorp on June 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Captain Kirock on June 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM

My point is that the GOP does not seem to be very adept at nominating conservative justices. Roberts turned out to be a flamin’ lib, for Obamacare’s sake.

bimmcorp on June 27, 2014 at 3:46 PM

urban elitist on June 27, 2014 at 3:42 PM

*snort*

OK, bright bulb. Let’s see the evidence. An editorial in the NYT two days before the election is not evidence.

NotCoach on June 27, 2014 at 3:46 PM