Poll: Only 40% of “solid liberals” say they often feel proud to be American

posted at 8:01 pm on June 26, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via WaPo, so that’s why lefties in my Twitter timeline were cheering when Germany scored on the U.S. today.

No, I’m kidding. They didn’t cheer. They just said we had it coming and shook their heads sadly.

patriot

Interesting wrinkle: This result seems largely immune from partisanship. In lots of political polls you can predict how Democrats and Republicans will tilt based on their feelings about who’s in the White House. If that were true here, you’d see liberals proud to be citizens of an Obama-led America and conservatives embarrassed. Instead we get the opposite. Patriotism (or lack thereof) transcends Hopenchange. Even more interesting is the “honor and duty” result. Normally when you ask a poll question loaded with virtuous phrases like that, respondents are eager to signal their assent. Not here. In fact, only among the two conservative groups tested do honor and duty as core values reach as high as 55 percent. Huh.

If you’re bored with the news this evening and eager for something tasty to chew on, let me encourage you to skim through the many (many) fascinating tables that Pew cooked up for its new study of ideological typology. What makes the study fascinating is that they didn’t rely on the old conservative/liberal dichotomy. They did something more granular, splitting righties into “steadfast conservatives” and “business conservatives” while splitting lefties into five separate subgroups. That’s why I was careful in the headline to emphasize it’s “solid liberals” who are weak on patriotism. They’re just a small part of the left overall; a more interesting part, as you’ll see if you sift through Pew’s data, is the “faith and family left,” 30 percent of whom are black and another 19 percent of whom are Latino. Here’s how they match up on various issues with “solid liberals” and young Democrats, the “next gen left”:

left

Solid liberals are highly skeptical that people can get ahead by working harder. The other lefty groups aren’t. Hmmmm. The differences between “steadfast conservatives” and “business conservatives” are also striking:

cons

Interestingly, it’s “business conservatives” who are slightly more likely to say they agree with the tea party even though “steadfast conservatives” would seem a more natural match based on the points of difference between the two groups. This is dramatic too:

foreignpolicy

That’s the Rand Paul/Dick Cheney divide on foreign policy, right before your very eyes. Establishment/business conservatives favor activity abroad, “steadfast” conservatives don’t. And that may be another reason why Rand’s sounded a bit more dovish lately in talking about Iraq. His best bet to hold onto some conservatives as he builds moderate cred on other issues is to remind them that he’s still their best/only bet in the 2016 field for a more “modest” foreign policy.

As I say, lots more along these lines at the link. If you do start skimming, keep your eye on the “hard-pressed skeptics” group in each result. They’re the people who are struggling financially, more than half of whom earn $30,000 or less each year. They prefer Democrats overwhelmingly when given a binary choice, but on the issues they’re more equivocal. There’s room for GOP growth there if the party can craft an economic agenda that registers.

Comments

The ones in the White House would poll at 100%.

faraway on June 26, 2014 at 8:05 PM

It could be either they’ve bastardized their country to the point it can’t be recognized as a representative republic, or they’re perfectly happy with the welfare state as is.

Either way, those 40% got what they voted for, and are complete scum worthy of a slow death under excruciating torture.

Diluculo on June 26, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Now that I introduce myself. Let me say what I am here for.

Ok. bye now!

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 8:07 PM

The mandatory reminder, -this is from Pew, the most politically biased and corrupt of all the major pollsters in the US. They have admitted to putting their own political objectives ahead of the accuracy of their polls.

slickwillie2001 on June 26, 2014 at 8:07 PM

That’s not cool.

faraway on June 26, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Poll: Only 40% of “solid liberals” say they often feel proud to be American

Likely higher than before obama was president…like Michelle being proud for the “first time in my sacrifisched life”.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 8:07 PM

She’s not going to land a husband acting like that.

Chuck Schick on June 26, 2014 at 8:10 PM

That’s not cool.

faraway on June 26, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Now that I introduce myself. Let me say what I am here for.

Ok. bye now!

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Diluculo on June 26, 2014 at 8:07 PM

It’s 60% – even worse……

VegasRick on June 26, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Many Americans — like me, honestly — think it’s kind of silly to be “proud to be X” where “X” is something you’re born into. It’s dicey enough to be proud of something you did (isn’t that one of the deadly sins?), but then to be proud of yourself for something you didn’t do? How does that make any sense? I can’t be the only one who thinks like this, and I’ll bet many liberals do too.

calbear on June 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Only 40% of “solid liberals” say they often feel proud to be American

Well, they shouldn’t be proud. They should be ashamed.

Curtiss on June 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM

All on topic – the American Mother Theresa

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM

That is because they have been taught and told that their entire lives. Every hard core Liberal believes that there is someone or something holding them and others they perceive as like them back. Some undefined entity that frustrates their desires at almost every turn. It could the “The Man”, or it can be something as abstract as the system, but something always holds them back. It is never their fault.

They can never reach what they believe is their full potential, both in life in general and money/riches because outside influences conspire against them.

Sad to be one of them.

Johnnyreb on June 26, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Where did she do that?

butch on June 26, 2014 at 8:14 PM

calbear on June 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Yep, I’d be willing to bet that a lot of libholes feel just like you…………

VegasRick on June 26, 2014 at 8:14 PM

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Cool’s certifiable. What a whack job.

CW on June 26, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I’m proud to be a Texan. I can say that much.

Doughboy on June 26, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Watch the world burn and I wonder about these idiots who dislike america.

rob verdi on June 26, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Poll: Only 40% of “solid liberals” say they often feel proud to be American

Yes, liberals don’t like America. Do we really need a poll to tell us this?

Doomberg on June 26, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Where did she do that?

butch on June 26, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I linked it, above.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 8:16 PM

It’s OK, we’re not proud they are Americans either.

mdavt on June 26, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Sad to be one of them.

Johnnyreb on June 26, 2014 at 8:13 PM

It really is, I doubt they ever feel proud about anything in their lives…. Come to think of it, why would they.

VegasRick on June 26, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Never mind. I found it. Time for her to go, I think. I hoped she was turning the page.

butch on June 26, 2014 at 8:17 PM

According to the Pew questionnaire (http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/26/the-political-typology-beyond-red-vs-blue/), I fall into the “Hard-Pressed Skeptic” category (I guess that makes me a moderate… that hates moderates!).

It’s an interesting, albeit unsatisfactory way of describing ideology. The social issues they use are immigration, affirmative action, and homosexuality. Oddly they omit abortion, the death penalty, and drugs which are also significant social issues. On foreign policy they notably steer clear of giving any policy specifics, and they try to keep it as broad and general as possible. On economics, they’re focused very much on attitude and not on policy.

Stoic Patriot on June 26, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Where did she do that?

butch on June 26, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I linked it, above.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Aunt Tammy did that?

VegasRick on June 26, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Only 40% of “solid liberals” say they often feel proud to be American

Is that while they’re burning American flags and cr@pping in the street or after? These leftist scum have never been proud to be “American”. They hate America and everything it stood for. They’re just proud, lately, that they were able to kill America and replace it with the American Socialist Superstate, which they adore. The fact that the tyrant in charge just happens to be a retarded third-world Sukarno clone is just the cherry on top for them.

BTW, I know what is meant, but the phrase “solid liberal” is an oxymoron. Better to just call them what they actually are: self-hating, despicable, lying scumbag nihilists.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 26, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Many Americans —like me, honestly —think it’s kind of silly to be “proud to be X” where “X” is something you’re born into. It’s dicey enough to be proud of something you did (isn’t that one of the deadly sins?), but then to be proud of yourself for something you didn’t do? How does that make any sense? I can’t be the only one who thinks like this, and I’ll bet many liberals do too. calbear on June 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM

As a great, great, great Grandson of Samuel Culper Jr., I disagree.

Odd how leftist respect all traditions and cultures except ours.

wolly4321 on June 26, 2014 at 8:24 PM

And this poll is full of BS when it claims to address “immigrants” when it really means ILLEGALS. The self-hating, despicable. lying scumbag nihilists love that they have been able to mangle English to the extent that “immigrant” has lost its meaning and “illegal alien” is a phrase that has almost ceased to exist. That’s something they’re proud of … and they call it “America”.

Douchebags.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 26, 2014 at 8:25 PM

calbear on June 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM

That’s … silly, to be overly charitable.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM

, I’d be willing to bet that a lot of libholes feel just like you………… VegasRick on June 26, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Lol.

wolly4321 on June 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I think they would need to be more specific on WHAT exactly they are proud of for this to have real meaning.

40% of “solid liberals” say they often feel proud to be American

Michelle Obama For the First Time in My Adult Lifetime, I’m Really Proud of My Countrycould answer yes to this one.

sharrukin on June 26, 2014 at 8:30 PM

I’m very surprised the number is that high. Most of them sound miserable. Take the leftist poster for example. That is not a happy camper.

Now that I introduce myself. Let me say what I am here for.

Ok. bye now!

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Bmore on June 26, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Sorry, didn’t see that posted until I refreshed. My apologies Schadenfreude. ; )

Bmore on June 26, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I’m surprised it wasn’t higher.

It’s all about the free stuff.

gophergirl on June 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM

And I’ll guarantee you that at least 20% of that 40% only said they are proud of America because they didn’t want anyone to know they really DON’T feel proud.

Warner Todd Huston on June 26, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I linked it, above.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Well she finally cracked.

gophergirl on June 26, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Didn’t they used to wear flowers in their hair and stuff?

Seems like they would like to kill us all now.
Of course they would never attempt it themselves. They would create a police state to do it for them.

wolly4321 on June 26, 2014 at 8:37 PM

These are the consequences of ceding the public education system to Leftist Blame America Firsters decades ago.

The kids can’t add or read and most of what they know about history is wrong. A frightening number believe firmly in the entire Leftist narrative, from America is an international bully to “capitalism” is the source of social injustice to the evil human race threatens to destroy the planet.

Most of them think they are very special snowflakes, too. Anyone who disagrees with them must be either stupid or evil.

novaculus on June 26, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Bmore on June 26, 2014 at 8:31 PM

I’ve never done this before but I’d like to see her gone. I’m not interested in reading that kind of bilge on a blog where most of us are trying to learn something. There are too many other blogs that don’t allow it. I don’t mind a little profanity when someone is trying to make a point, but this is obviously intended to offend.

butch on June 26, 2014 at 8:41 PM

m surprised it wasn’t higher. I have people tell me they don’t know the words to the Star Spangled Banner! I also look at people dumb founded when they ask me what the meaning is behind the poppy flowers people wear. It’s all about the free stuff. gophergirl on June 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Grew up in Baltimore. So I know the SPB well.
But you have me stumped on poppy flowers.

I have no idea..

wolly4321 on June 26, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Marxism holds that there is no such thing as American.

blammm on June 26, 2014 at 8:43 PM

#quotefail.

Sorry.

wolly4321 on June 26, 2014 at 8:45 PM

This is why Glenn Beck and Michael Medved pleading with us to accept our leftist friends as just, golly gee, super patriots who just don’t understand us sickens me.

Pathetic.

mankai on June 26, 2014 at 8:45 PM

#quotefail.

Sorry.

wolly4321 on June 26, 2014 at 8:45 PM

It was the poppies. I don’t know what they mean but I do know they have something to do with the quote function :)

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 26, 2014 at 8:48 PM

========================

ALLAHP,…..maybe these LeftyAmericanPosers aught to move to DoofleDorf!
(sarc)

Maybes a tune is needed:
(snark)

Rammstein – Amerika [English Version]

canopfor on June 26, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I linked it, above.

Now that I introduce myself. Let me say what I am here for.

Ok. bye now!

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Priceless that!! Made tears run down my face I laughed so hard!!

Scrumpy on June 26, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I’m a conservative and I’m not proud to be American. It’s not just Obama. When he leaves office, our collective stupidity will still continue regardless of who is President. America has been Game Over for quite some time now. We are Corporatist nation with a distracted, aloof and stupid populace. The only way to have it easy in this nation is to be a corrupt, government-favored business or a welfare recipient. As a small businessperson, I am being crushed in this economy. It’s difficult to impossible to make it because taxes and inflation are killing me. Everybody gets my money except for me. Welfare recipients and corrupt Crony Capitalists eat better than I do. Government at all levels is taking everything I have and what’s left is barely enough to feed my family. I work 70+ hours a week for nothing. I have to sell my house because I can no longer afford the taxes or the utilities. Things haven’t ever been this bad. We are becoming a third world nation and still letting more of these barbarians in to further the dilution of our workforce and to wreak havoc on our economy. There is no end in sight. Fundamental change is what we were promised and that’s what we’re getting. In the past, if I worked hard, I could make a buck. These days, that’s a pipe dream. What’s worse is that we have an entire political party that demonizes people like me. What’s so wrong about wanting to do something for yourself and keeping what you earned? To be called racist because I can look around and see what’s going on when others can’t? It’s insult to injury. America sucks.

Corporal Tunnel on June 26, 2014 at 8:50 PM

butch on June 26, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Yes. I have no problem seeing it and any race baiter banned. Apologies ahead to anyone who does not like that quality in me. I should have looked first to insure Schadenfreude had not posted it. Once was enough. They are out in force today seeking to have some of the commenters here make a mistake or simply word something wrong and be banned for it. I will never for the life of me understand this about HA. I find it very frustrating. Probably just me. ; )

Bmore on June 26, 2014 at 8:51 PM

butch on June 26, 2014 at 8:41 PM

To be very clear about my position as it relates to the commenter I quoted. I will continue to post that when on thread with it. This evening should I manage QOTD it will likely be quoted often.

Bmore on June 26, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Nah. They cheered for the U.S. because soccer is to them a sophisticated European sport watched by sophisticated, forward-thinking people from around the world, and not like those knuckle-draging, violence-loving, troglodytes in flyover country who prefer American football (and don’t have a problem with that horrid Washington team’s nickname, which high schools on Native American reservations all over the country are being cowed into maintaining because they can’t think for themselves unless the forward-thinking bi-coastal people do it for them. Plus, those schools really should stop playing football and just replace it with soccer anyway).

jon1979 on June 26, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Bmore on June 26, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Bmore: Seems to have alot of Pent Up Hostilities.

I’m betting that the illusion of Obama is shattering Lefty spirits,
from the early days of,……

….The Hopey/Changey Roman Temple Pillars of
Perpetual Hope and NeverEnding NeverLasting
Change me thinks!————————-:0

canopfor on June 26, 2014 at 9:00 PM

#quotefail.

Sorry.

wolly4321 on June 26, 2014 at 8:45 PM

wolly4321: Sounds like a Cat0strophic Fact Patterning Failure to Launch
sumpin sumpins!!-:0

canopfor on June 26, 2014 at 9:03 PM

calbear on June 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM

And yet, according to the bible, something you didn’t do is the only thing you are allowed to boast about.

For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”
- 1 Corinthians 1:26-31

Cheshire_Kat on June 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Interesting stuff from Gallup. I fall pretty neatly into the ‘Young Outsiders’ category (sans the environmentalism) which probably explains why I sometimes irritate people on here…

LukeinNE on June 26, 2014 at 9:06 PM

OT

Mr Maliki also said that Iraq had bought a number of used Sukhoi fighter jets from Russia and Belarus.

He said the aircraft could be flying missions in Iraq “within a few days”.

Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed the crisis with Mr Maliki by phone last Friday, the Kremlin reported on its website at the time.

Mr Putin confirmed his “full support” for the government’s efforts to rid Iraqi territory of “terrorists”, it said, without giving details.

sharrukin on June 26, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I would have put it at about 17%.

Bishop on June 26, 2014 at 9:11 PM

canopfor on June 26, 2014 at 9:00 PM

If it hasn’t shattered for them it should. ; ) Anecdotal to be sure, but, a few of my leftward acquaintances seem to be identifying more and more as libertarian lately. Distance. Once the IRS thing sinks in I have a feeling even they won’t like the sound of being targeting here at home. $ still means something.

Bmore on June 26, 2014 at 9:12 PM

One question to show the true color of a liberal:

“Do you believe that the USA is the greatest nation in history of the world?”… Yes or No answer… The vast majority of them will say “No”…

mnjg on June 26, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Ok. bye now!

coolrepublica on June 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Gosh, it’s just like her trip to Alabama all over again.

rogerb on June 26, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I am proud to be an American, I often give my cousin’s husband, an USAF officer a hard time at family gatherings requesting ” You know, you can swear me back in, so C’mon, do it. Ill go get my gear and report back to whatever unit you want.” He usually cracks up laughing at me, then goes, “NinjaCoastie, you might want to get back into shape before that. I reply “the more Ive grown in size also increased my love for my Country, Im pretty darn just right now” :P

ninjacoastie on June 26, 2014 at 9:39 PM

calbear on June 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Thanks for the perspective. It’s interesting because I’ve spent most of my adult life trying to live up to the standards set before me and knowing how difficult and delicate the republic was to create and maintain, and constantly reminding myself how many people before me worked, fought, and died to put me here after them.

I can’t be the only one who thinks like this, and it’s a shame liberals don’t, too.

rogerb on June 26, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I thought we’d be absolved by electing anointing the Messiah

formwiz on June 26, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I will always remember watching the Olympics when I was a teenager with my older brother, who is an unhinged liberal type, and he told me not to use “we” or “our team” when cheering on team USA. He was disgusted by all things patriotic and thought America was something to be ashamed of, not proud of.

bluegill on June 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Sadly, the lack of love of country can be traced back to silly notion that to be one of the “Cool Kids” (be they adult or juvenile) they HAVE to be against “The System”…doesn’t matter a lick they couldn’t define what that system is…it just IS, you know?

They fear civil discourse the way a puppy fears a bath…and usually with the same sensibility at that.

BlaxPac on June 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Gosh, it’s just like her trip to Alabama all over again.

rogerb on June 26, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I’m pretty well convinced her “trip to Alabama” occurred only in her mind. After watching To Kill a Mockingbird.

She clearly doesn’t know just how many black folks live in the state of Alabama, or how common mixed race couples are in the South, and how little attention would be paid to her based on race.

Now in Minnesota, maybe… /

Dolce Far Niente on June 26, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Where did she do that?

butch on June 26, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I linked it, above.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Thanks for link. I had a really bad day, and hadn’t looked at that post, but those comments got me laughing again. Guess someone found a sore spot.

talkingpoints on June 26, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Bmore on June 26, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Bmore, please stop harassing other commenters and please, out of respect for other readers here, quit posting petty little comments based on grudges you hold and that have nothing to do with the article topics. It’s disruptive.

bluegill on June 26, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Why don’t you shut the hell up?

Judge_Dredd on June 26, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Outside of international sporting events, pro tennis, Olympics, World Cup, I find nationalism pretty gross.

libfreeordie on June 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM

As soon as you understand and except this fact the easier it is to understand why liberals govern the way they do. They have no love for this country and their policies are meant to harm. Anyone who thinks liberals like Obama are trying to help this country are just dumb and naive. Their number one goal is to destroy that which they despise.

The Notorious G.O.P on June 26, 2014 at 11:25 PM

libfreeordie on June 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Yes, we know. You libs hate this country and that is why you elect people like Obama. You are not telling us anything new. You root for terrorists, you cheer US deaths in war. etc.. We know.

The Notorious G.O.P on June 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM

libfreeordie on June 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM

And yet you happily live here and take advantage of an elite Leftist Capitalistic system that guarantees you income for life regardless of the product you produce, parasite.

In your world, if you turn out an inferior product, in your case a poor “student”, you’re not penalized for your failure, you’re rewarded for it. Only in America Academe!

F-

PS: Is Dissent “Patriotic”?

Take your time.

Del Dolemonte on June 26, 2014 at 11:46 PM

international sporting events, pro tennis, Olympics, World Cup

libfreeordie on June 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Professional athletes.

Were you “nationalistic” during the Olympics that Mitt Romney ran in Salt Lake City? I doubt it.

Del Dolemonte on June 26, 2014 at 11:48 PM

bluegill on June 26, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Shut up, Susan.

NotCoach on June 26, 2014 at 11:57 PM

libfreeordie on June 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Well, when a progressive-Marxist has no Fluking clue that the United States is an idea more than anything else it’s no surprise you would have such an attitude. Why, just look at the following stupid shiite as an example.

Here’s a simple question for you. Which of the founding fathers did not subscribe to the communitarian ethos Calhoun deploys to rationalize slavery? *sets sundial*

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

None. They weren’t nascent Commies like John C. Calhoun, and full blown Commies like you. Don’t you think you need to provide some proof for such a ridiculous smear there Mr. Calhoun? You’re a history perfesser, right?

NotCoach on August 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Oh dear God….hold on, give me 10 minutes.

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

NotCoach on June 27, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Gosh, it’s just like her trip to Alabama all over again.

rogerb on June 26, 2014 at 9:37 PM

LMAO! Sorry I missed that one. A state that is 25% black, and she went in imagining exactly what her retarded prejudices would be like.

NotCoach on June 27, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Liberals don’t believe there is anything exceptional about the U.S., color me shocked.

What the hell is a “faith and family liberal?” I ain’t met one yet.

TarasBulbous on June 27, 2014 at 12:10 AM

libfreeordie on June 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM

You couldn’t be a liberal, if you didn’t “find nationalism pretty gross.”
Maurice Strong, Dr Glen T. Martin, and the rest of the good folks at the WCPA are undoubtedly proud of you, and others like you.

You wouldn’t surprise me if you said you were already a member.

listens2glenn on June 27, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Perhaps you’re not clear on the concept. It’s not a matter of our location on a map. It’s a nation, and an economy, and a concept of self governance, developed by people who came here from elsewhere, because elsewhere was generally sh**ty..

My great grandparents came here and worked as a cabinetmaker and seamstress, respectively. My other family members arrived and became farmers, and streetcar conductors. Just over 100 years later: We’re doctors, lawyers, business owners, and more or less universally college and post college educated.
By hard work and respect for education. And nothing else. We held up our end, and contributed to the nation in peace and in war. Just like millions of others, for centuries.

Lack of pride in what we are, and what we have achieved says an awful lot more about you than it does about the nation. Nobody’s barring the door, chief; flights leave every day. Pick one.

orangemtl on June 27, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Like the old joke goes — you should never be ashamed that you’re American, because it’s enough that we’re ashamed that you’re American.

shoutingboy on June 27, 2014 at 2:00 AM

Please… this re-posting of other people’s comments out of context is something liberals do. It’s pretty much spam.

rhombus on June 27, 2014 at 5:34 AM

This poll is mostly meaningless because I find myself being unable to choose between the choices because I either disagree completely or agree completely with both. Two options is stupid.

Example:

The best way to ensure peace is military strength.
Good diplomacy is the best way to ensure peace.

How about “speak softly and carry a big stick?” This is clearly not an either/or issue as both are equally necessary.

US efforts to solve problems around the world usually end up making things worse.
Problems in the world would be even worse without US involvement.”

Which involvement and whose idea? Obama’s tenure has been more of the top choice, Reagan’s was more the bottom.

I love this next one:

Immigrants today strengthen our country because of their hard work and talents.
Immigrants today are a burden on our country because they take our jobs housing and healthcare.

Well, I would say “immigrants” are the above, but I’m pretty sure they are referring to illegal aliens.

Sorry Allah, but most of the questions on this poll cannot derive and accurate picture nor are the supposed ideologies well defined at all. Rather, the questions more or less pigeon-hole people into hard-left perceptions of the political landscape.

Pattosensei on June 27, 2014 at 6:28 AM

Always that 40%+ number turning up in polls.
As in 40%+ always think Obama is doing a great job.

albill on June 27, 2014 at 6:54 AM

Poll: Only 40% of “solid liberals” say they often feel proud to be American

It’s only because they haven’t succeeded in completely destroying America.

Ward Cleaver on June 27, 2014 at 10:19 AM

You’d only get a majority of “solid liberals” to say they feel proud to be American if the country was turned into one giant Occupy camp.

One32ndHekawi on June 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM