Outside groups spent $23 million to crush the tea party in GOP primaries this year

posted at 4:01 pm on June 26, 2014 by Allahpundit

I mentioned this in the immigration post but it deserves more attention. To be clear, the $23 million here is on top of the cash spent by each GOP incumbent’s own campaign. It doesn’t include a dime of what, say, Mitch McConnell’s operation dropped to defend his seat. This is crony money, showered on establishment candidates to make sure the gravy train keeps running.

The scope of the effort to suppress activist-backed candidates has been broader and costlier than is widely understood, covering at least 20 House and Senate primaries from North Carolina to California, and from coastal Mississippi to the outer tip of Long Island. The loose coalition of establishment forces encompasses two dozen advocacy groups, industry associations and super PACs that have raised and spent millions on behalf of Washington’s chosen candidates.

Former Republican National Committee Chairman Mike Duncan said the “quote ‘establishment’” had successfully divided up the primary map this year to avoid duplicating one another’s efforts…

Nearly a third of the establishment money has come from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. The business lobby’s spending in this year’s toughest primaries has about equaled the $7 million that the conservative Club for Growth and the Senate Conservatives Fund have spent together on the most fractious elections — excluding races, like the Senate campaigns in Arkansas and Alaska, where there’s been no meaningful clash between establishment-sanctioned outside groups and the activist right.

Among other big establishment spenders: Karl Rove’s American Crossroads, the National Association of Realtors, and the Main Street Partnership, which vowed months ago to “beat the snot” out of conservatives in primaries and which used to be called the “Republican Main Street Partnership” before it dropped the troublesome “Republican” part. (The NRA also kicked in some money for Thad Cochran, do note.) What’s galling about this isn’t the amount spent or the fact that centrists would rise to meet a challenge from the right on ideological terms. The Club for Growth spends boatloads of money on elections too, after all. What’s galling, especially in the Cochran/McDaniel race, is the sense of how transactional the incumbent’s relationship with his money men is. That’s the real lesson from Mississippi, writes Jay Cost. There was nothing particularly ideological driving Cochran or the Mississippi GOP establishment. This was business. As always, as always, Republicans present themselves as one thing and then behave as something else:

Cochran is a classic example of the disconnect. He has been in the Senate for nearly forty years. To what lasting conservative triumph is his name attached? I cannot think of any, nor can I think of any fight against the liberal agenda in which he was a crucial ally. Instead, his claim to fame – as he proudly advertised during the campaign – was leveraging his seniority to steer government largesse to Mississippi…

His purpose is to perpetuate what Theodore Lowi once called “interest group liberalism.” He is the modern equivalent of the Gilded Age spoilsman; he parcels federal resources to well-placed factions that, in turn, help secure his reelection. This runs directly contrary to what the Republican party promises to do.

The problem for the Republican party writ large is that the Cochran-type does not seem like an outlier. People do not see the GOP as a party out to make the government “smaller and smarter,” to “celebrate success, entrepreneurship, and innovation.” They certainly do not see think it is trying to “lift up the middle class.” They see a party that perpetuates and expands government as it suits them, often to the benefit of the well-heeled interest groups that have descended upon the nation’s capital.

Cost is quoting there from the preamble to the GOP’s 2012 platform. Republicans blather on endlessly about small government, free markets, and competition, and then they go to the mat for a guy like Cochran who embodies the sort of “clientelism” for which conservatives typically despise Democrats. Honestly. as angry as righties are that Cochran won a GOP primary with Democratic votes, it’s a poetic finish to the race: His first loyalty is to his cronies, after all, not to a party. That’s why the Barbourites who rule Mississippi’s Republican Party wanted him to run again, even though it was often painfully clear on the trail (especially before the runoff) that Cochran’s heart really wasn’t in serving another term. A Twitter buddy speculated on Tuesday night that he’ll end up retiring next year, once his seat’s safely won, and then some other Barbourite — perhaps Haley’s own nephew — will be appointed to replace him. That would be poetic too. Establishment groups didn’t go all in for Cochran because they thought the U.S. Senate simply can’t afford to lose ol’ Thad. They went all in because they want Cochran’s client base to control the seat. What do they care if it’s him or some replacement from that base that actually casts their vote?

For more on all this, read Erick Erickson’s post from yesterday about the party of lobbyists and the marionettes that dutifully do their bidding. Erick’s regarded as the consummate tea partier while I’m more of a candy-ass RINO, but I don’t see how anyone at either of those two poles or in between could fail to recognize the truth of that. It’s grotesque. And that’s why the challenges from the right will keep coming.

Update: Ace is angry too, for all the right reasons:

Apparently the parties have decided the great ideological struggle of our time is whether the new social services building shall be called the John Murtha Social Wellness Center or the Thad Cochran Freedom & Independence Pavilion.

This is inevitable. And the solution is as inevitable as well. The professional political class must be displaced in favor of an amateur political class, which — for its first several years, at least — will in fact be more interested in revolution than racket.

As I’ve written several times, amateurs have their own weaknesses. But this process of renewal — the replacement of old, complacent, self-interested spirits with fresh ones — is vital.

Without it, a movement dies.

Are we dead already?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 5:58 AM

Why? He can’t do anything much without the House and crazy is mildly entertaining. I don’t trust “our” guys anymore.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM

The GOP didn’t call you that, this idoit did.

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 8:39 AM

With the GOP’s money and establishment’s endorsement.

If they want to step forward and apologize, I’ll listen. If not, I’m done.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 27, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Obama can rule by fiat if he has the Senate protecting him. (I’ve got a pen and a phone) He can have his authority to do whatever he pleases taken away if the house and the senate are united in stopping him. It would be game over and his status as a failure would be finalized.
Admit it, that sounds good.

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 9:09 AM

If they want to step forward and apologize, I’ll listen. If not, I’m done.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 27, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Who is they? Seriously, who would it count from? Hypothetically speaking?

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 9:12 AM

I’m done with these people. The left and the fake right are my enemies. I will fight both for the causes of liberty and freedom. Anyone who calls me a racist for supporting limited government will get punched in the face.

The gloves are off.

njrob on June 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM

LOL! As Glenn Beck said: “The guy is a 196-year old fart who couldn’t tie his own shoes.”

Marcus on June 27, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Who is they? Seriously, who would it count from? Hypothetically speaking?

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Well, Reince Priebus making the full circuit would be a good start.

Listen, it’s one thing for the liberals to call me a racist because I believe in limited gov, low taxes and liberty. It’s another for REPUBLICANS to do it.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 27, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Still amazed how dumb the establishment is getting involved in a southern race. All did do is piss people off.

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 9:22 AM

The gloves are off.

njrob on June 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM

That’s exactly how I feel. I’m ten times angrier than when liberals do it, because I feel betrayed by my own.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 27, 2014 at 9:23 AM

There is already a 1,000 fraudulent votes in one county alone.

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 9:25 AM

It is AMAZING to me that some can’t see had McDaniel won, the base would be ON FIRE and more than likely very willing to hold their noses and have Mitch McConnell take over the Senate. Willing to crawl over broken glass. Now, not so much. For God’s sake – I’m voting Greg Abbott but I’ll be damned if I’m voting Cornyn now. I’ll be in and out of that booth in a flash.

Marcus on June 27, 2014 at 9:25 AM

republicans.
the battered wives of voters.
make a good enough sammich and the party won’t break your arm tonight…

dmacleo on June 27, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth…

ebrown2 on June 27, 2014 at 9:29 AM

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I think it is adorable that you think Republicans will have any effect. Or even want to.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Well, Reince Priebus making the full circuit would be a good start.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 27, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I was thinking along the lines of Reince Priebus as well. I donno, If the house of cards is going to fall downI just wish like hell it wouldn’t benefit Obama.

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Marcus on June 27, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I completely agree. I am so tempted to send money to McConnell’s opponent. Won’t do it, but I am sorely tempted. It would be SWEET if Republicans won the Senate and McConnell lost his seat.

txmomof6 on June 27, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Haley’s group paid an Atlanta get out the vote company that supposedly isn’t even a business anymore. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Whelp, at least I can say a woman called me adorable today. Hope springs eternal that they will fight back if given the tools.

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM

The GOP didn’t call you that, this idoit did.

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 8:39 AM

The NRSC campaign took money received from other states and paid to GOTV for this clown. McConnell and other GOP leadership pols all donated to Cochran’s campaign.

David Brat getting his account drained by the local GOP.

They can’t repeal it until there is someone in the executive branch who wont veto the repeal or until they get a veto proof majority. They can however gut it.

No they can’t unless they shut the government down. Obama won’t sign a law gutting Obamacare without a fight.

We will be able to get a budget for the first time since Reid took the majority and yes, a united congress will be able to stop Obama from ruling by decree. Especially since the courts are now involved.

Yes. Take him to court! Since they can stop a guy who is . . . ignoring the courts. And they won’t impeach since he is not a racist tea partier and therefore doesn’t demand 110% of the ire of the GOPe.

You have chanted that over and over here as an excuse to keep losing. It’s simply not true and McConnell is not the only senator on the hill. The vital point is that Harry Reid will no longer control what gets to the floor and the Obama administration will be effectively over.

Right. Well then maybe they shouldn’t campaign to get democrats to vote in Republican primaries by calling us racists.

Republicans didn’t do that. Cochran doesn’t speak for the GOP. He’s a politician who won dirty..I’m not familiar with Mississippi election law but perhaps there is a way of recalling him at a later date, after we get rid of Obama. There really is just too much on the line with this election though to walk away from the political process and allow the socialists to win again.

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Barbour’s PAC has their grubby little hands all over this and they are the ones bankrolling most of the spending for Cochran’s re-elect campaign.

You don’t consider Barbour, who headed the GOP Governer’s Assoc only a few short years ago, a pretty damn influential republican. Or how about Cornyn, McConnell and all the other Senate leadership donating money to Cochran.

So socialists already got their candidate.

As to your comment on recall, I know you’re smarter than this. Federal legislators cannot be recalled.

NWConservative on June 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 9:33 AM

We all would. It would surprise me if Obama used the “turmoil” in the Republican party to demand a third term. Trust me, none of this makes me happy, I’m no a fighter. But I’m not a rug either.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Admit it, that sounds good.

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Take off the rose colored glasses. All that would change is that the statist thugs waiting in line for a payoff would have an R instead of a D next to their names.

The last few months have really opened my eyes. If you can’t personally game the system, donating to politicians and parties is for deluded fools. Voting may not be the best use of one’s time either.

ElectricPhase on June 27, 2014 at 9:40 AM

It would be SWEET if Republicans won the Senate and McConnell lost his seat.

txmomof6 on June 27, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Mark Levin has always mused he’s going to target one RINO and simply encourage the Tea Party to completely abandon them. I wouldn’t be surprised if now he chose two. And how sweet is it that he probably will be joined by Limbaugh. As Levin said “I can’t see. Ladies and Gentlemen, all I see is RED!”

Marcus on June 27, 2014 at 9:41 AM

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM

You’re great and I don’t want you to think I don’t understand your anxiety about this. If I can’t win the lottery, my next wish would be to become a low info citizens who thinks the government is benign and everything is swell. Then I think about what that kind of person would have to be and it loses its appeal.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I’m right there, Cindy. My mantra was always “vote purity in the primary; vote strategically in the general.”

But this time the GOP pushed me too far. It’s not just that they effectively called me names. It’s that the writing is on the wall for me, finally: they’re in it for themselves anyway. They don’t care if the country goes down as long as they get theirs.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I can’t tell you how disappointed I am in my judgement of Haley Barbour. It is terrifying to have been so wrong.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on June 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM

What kind of “leadership” can’t secure its own base? I realize it is easier with Democrats because they just give out free stuff but in this case our common goals must not exist any longer.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Marcus on June 27, 2014 at 9:41 AM

To what extent has Limbaugh had it though? Last I checked he wasn’t advocating a third party or anything.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM

ElectricPhase on June 27, 2014 at 9:40 AM

That’s long been known in philosophical and political science circles, much to their chagrin:

ebrown2 on June 27, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM

I guess they’re so disconnected with the “little people” that they’ve forgotten that votes matter. And when they remember, they think no one will mind if they cross over and call their base racists to liberal Democrats–people who already think we ARE racists. For preferring small, limited gov’t, low taxes, and free markets.

So that’s it for me–”The iron has set it my soul”.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 27, 2014 at 9:55 AM

You don’t consider Barbour, who headed the GOP Governer’s Assoc only a few short years ago, a pretty damn influential crooked republican. Or how about Cornyn, McConnell and all the other Senate leadership donating money to Cochran.

NWConservative on June 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Fixed it.

bw222 on June 27, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Here’s the science behind the unfairness of voting:

ebrown2 on June 27, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I am reposting this from the headlines thread:

If you don’t like what happened in Mississippi, the solution is TERM LIMITS.

It is the length of time these people spend in Congress and the power they are able to amass the longer they are there. They are addicts and they jones on the money that groups like the US Chamber of Commerce give them. After a while, they can’t live without it and then they become targets for bribery and extortion by the lobbyists.

Limit Senators to 2 six-year terms. Limit Representatives to 6 two-year terms. Limit the total amount of time an elected official may spend in Senate and House combined to 18 years total, whether served consecutively or intermittently, but no more than 12 of those years may be spent in any one chamber of Congress.

Put your heart and soul into these changes which would rid us right now of certainly half of the 535 members currently serving in Congress. I assure you that a majority of the populace would be behind these changes.

The true terror is the power and arrogance. To get rid of the power and arrogance, the terms of these people must be limited.

Think about it — if these term limits were in place, right now there would be no McCain, no Thad Cochran, no Mitch McConnell, and Lindsey Graham would not be by law allowed to be running for a 3rd term. There would also be no Dingy Harry Reid, Nazi Pelosi, Charlie Rangel, Maxine Waters, Henry Waxman — in fact, the whole line of We Shall Overcome singers in the video this week would be gone from Congress.

This is where your righteous anger should be directed.

Greyledge Gal on June 26, 2014 at 6:06 PM

There is only one way this will happen. By following the book Mark Levin wrote. The Liberty Amendments. To get these Amendments the states MUST invoke Article V of the Constitution. Term Limits and revoking the 17th Amendment. This is necessary to return to being a Constitutional Republic. Senators today are glorified Representatives. Elected by the people and serve 6 year terms as opposed to 2. The Framers fully intended to have states represented within the Senate, no the mobs of people.

Conservative4Ever on June 27, 2014 at 10:04 AM

The NRSC supports incumbents first, that’s one of the reasons I don’t give them any money.

If we are finally getting a budget he might not have a choice but to defund certain aspects of the law. There are aspects of it, like the tax on medical devices that could be repealed with democrat support if it were ever allowed to get on to the floor. Here: What a GOP Senate Would Mean for Obamacare Full repeal is impossible, but the GOP could do some real damage to the Affordable Care Act.

It’s not just that, congress can strip his authority to enforce certain laws and there’s the Faithful Execution of the Law Act of 2014 Which would force them to explain why they aren’t enforcing the laws they pledged to enforce.

They should close the primaries completely, country wide. Pretty sure Robamney is a Moby by the way.

It would make sense that there would be some mechanism for recalling them. So is it better to be smarter than that and dishonest or honestly wrong? To be clear, if that’s the case, I was unaware. I thought since it’s a state election that the rules would be different from state to state.

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 10:05 AM

ElectricPhase on June 27, 2014 at 9:40 AM

But look who that empowers. Look at what they have done to this country. I get it, it’s a choice between the lousy and the horrific and that’s not what it ought to be. Now What? Go with the horrific? I can’t just sit back and watch them do this. Seriously, Give me a better alternative.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Thanks, I appreciate it and yes, I get your exasperation.
Looks like we have to fix the lottery.

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 10:12 AM

The GOP didn’t call you that, this idoit did.

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 8:39 AM

GOP consultants have complete reign to publicly trash conservatives. Have you ever heard a Democratic consultant publicly trash a large segment of the Democratic base.

bw222 on June 27, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Greyledge Gal on June 26, 2014 at 6:06 PM

We have always had the power of term limits, it just takes us too long to p.o.’d.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 10:28 AM

SCOTUS says we need an amendment for term limits.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 10:31 AM

There is already a 1,000 fraudulent votes in one county alone.

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Not just any county, either. Pete Perry is the Hinds Co. chair and received $60k from Haley Barbour’s PAC. Cochran’s SIL is on the MS election commission. Cochran is trying to run out the clock and prevent any investigation of the rolls in a county where turnout increased by suspicious margins, and yes, they have already found 1000 irregularities despite Cochran’s objections. McDaniels should be bending some judge’s ear tight now to get a jump on this ASAP.

ezspirit on June 27, 2014 at 10:33 AM

As Tennessee Williams wrote, “What is the victory of a cat on a hot tin roof? Just stay on it long as it can.”

ezspirit on June 27, 2014 at 10:36 AM

V7_Sport on June 27, 2014 at 10:12 AM

If lousy doesn’t try to fix horrific, then lousy isn’t any better than horrific. In fact, it is equally horrific. This (aside from some meaningless mouth noises) is what I’ve seen from the GOP.

I wish I could point to any alternative. A populist uprising to “throw the bums out” sounds nice, but the numbers just aren’t there. The career politicians are simply too skilled in getting us to act against our own interests.

ElectricPhase on June 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Haley Barbour is LBJ

Vera Simmons ‏@postal16 1h

#LBJ pic.twitter.com/KWujnZzRwy

Bmore on June 27, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Ooops, forgot to quote. My apologies.

Bmore on June 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM

ezspirit on June 27, 2014 at 10:33 AM I think McDaniel will go to court about the election with 1,000 fraudlant votes already and more on the way. Cochran needs to be sued also for disenfranchising voters…

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM

ElectricPhase on June 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM

The fact that they are skilled at getting elected while the country crashes and burns should be some kind of a hint that maybe they have lost direction.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Still can’t believe how blatant Cochran was I mean damn. He didn’t even try to cover it up then again he is barely coherent…

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I have serious doubts as to him being cognizant.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 11:09 AM

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I have serious doubts as to him being cognizant.

Sorry

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Nothing like a good public shaming…

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Sad development – Mark Mayfield, the MS Tea Party lawyer who was one of the men charged with photographing Cochran’s wife, has committed suicide.

This whole thing is just an awful mess.

Missy on June 27, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Conservative4Ever on June 27, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Folly. I mean, it’s a great idea, whose time had come maybe 20 years ago.

Today, when the federal government is in full-on tyranny mode, it’s simply ridiculous to think they’ll suddenly start obeying some *new* constitutional restraints on their power when they’re used to wiping their butts with the ones already in place.

They’ll simply see this as new toilet paper, nothing more.

Midas on June 27, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Missy on June 27, 2014 at 11:22 AM

I wish I thought someone involved in this mess cared.

Cindy Munford on June 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Doesn’t all this kind of push the concept of secession for Texas, and maybe Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, and others? I think it looks like a more viable option.

boogieboy on June 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Midas on June 27, 2014 at 11:44 AM

So let’s keep doing it your way. Re-electing GOP incumbents over 90% of the time and expecting different results. Let me know how that works out.

Conservative4Ever on June 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Looks like McDaniel will be pursuing legal options and he should.

sorrowen on June 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Marcus on June 27, 2014 at 9:25 AM

It’s not about the base, it’s about the MONEY. The Chamber of Commerce and Karl Rove’s group (and others) have bought these guys – if they are defeated, and a new group of guys comes in they have to buy all over again. Buying a Senator ain’t cheap. And sometimes buying takes YEARS. The C of C wants that cheap labor now.

jclittlep on June 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM

these “outside groups” are the normal GOP money-men.

The GOP is a useless cause that should be abandoned en masse by conservatives.

It will never push conservatism, will never cut spending, will never oppose the left in any real and meaningful manner.

As long as the GOP exists, it does more harm than good. The GOP is merely a red herring to keep conservatives and right-leaning low-information-voters occupied so that they don’t interfere too much with the left’s agenda. And it works.

Monkeytoe on June 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I see now, they are claiming it was outside money that played the slim and smear card. All I know is that Thad Cochran never dissed it. This is not what I expect out of the Republicans and see no reason to vote. If you are going to end up with slime scum running the country what difference does it make if they are Democrat or a lying Rino.

pwb on June 27, 2014 at 3:48 PM