Hillary: Comparing me with Mitt Romney is a ‘false equivalence’

posted at 3:21 pm on June 26, 2014 by Noah Rothman

Comparisons between Hillary Clinton and Mitt Romney have been greatly exaggerated, Hillary Clinton says.

Clinton practically rolled with laughter when PBS’ Gwen Ifill noted humorlessly that her own husband has been “forced” to defend her recent comments about being “dead broke” after leaving the White House. What was humorous in that remarks is known only to Clinton.

“I shouldn’t have said the, I think, five or so words that I said,” the former secretary of state said. “My inartful use of those five words doesn’t change who I am.”

Later in the interview, Ifill asked if Clinton had become the Democratic adaptation of the cartoon version of Mitt Romney drawn by the president’s allies in 2012. “That’s a false equivalency,” Clinton protested. “People can judge me for what I’ve done. And I think when somebody’s out in the public eye, that’s what they do. So I’m fully comfortable with who I am, what I stand for and what I’ve always stood for.”

Clinton is subject to a degree of scrutiny over this comment that is unwarranted on its merits, but she is also creating the conditions which have led to that scrutiny with her unending displays of inauthenticity and defensiveness.

Clinton insisted, as is apparently a prerequisite for any Democratic presidential candidate in the post-Romney world, that she has a legitimate claim to hardship and poverty. That painfully misleading self-appraisal is met with incredulity from the press. This then leads Clinton to mount a nearly three-week long campaign simultaneously apologizing for and defending that remark.

An entire universe of insecurities were revealed in Clinton’s mechanical, nervous belly laugh in the first 10 seconds of this clip. The air of inevitability she cultivated for over five years is slipping away, retreating from her grasp the harder she tries to hold onto it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Indeed.

All of Romney’s political and business opponents apparently died of natural causes.

viking01 on June 26, 2014 at 3:24 PM

People can judge me for what I’ve done.

Amb. Stevens: “Hillary was Dead Wrong”

faraway on June 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM

(of those whom have, of course)

viking01 on June 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Vince Foster could not be reached for comment…

viking01 on June 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Yeah, Romney actually did something productive and useful to society in earning his wealth.

gwelf on June 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM

“People can judge me for what I’ve done.

I can think of at least four people that can’t.

Flange on June 26, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Clinton was undeterred. In response to the “out of touch” label, she said: “If you come from where I came from and where I have always been, I’ve always been reaching out and whether it’s talking with our neighbors or going shopping or standing, talking to people in these bookstores and hearing what’s on their minds, or even the work I did for eight years as a senator to bring new jobs to New York and stand up for the people I represented.”

Right, because Mitt Romney never went out to public places and spoke to people.

Doughboy on June 26, 2014 at 3:26 PM

PBS … Gwen Ifill … Killary …

Why even post this crap?

Pork-Chop on June 26, 2014 at 3:27 PM

When you’ve lost DNC hack Gwen Ifill……

viking01 on June 26, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Hillary: Comparing me with Mitt Romney is a ‘false equivalence’

No kidding…

Killary would have been strapped to the top of the roof…..

Electrongod on June 26, 2014 at 3:28 PM

“People can judge me for what I’ve done” – well, what did you do, Dem Hillary, besides go to Ivy League schools and become the wife of a very talented politician? Achievements? Bills? US Senate in a state where you never lived until you needed to “win” a seat? Burn lots of gasoline in your jet-setting around the world? Left Americans to die in Benghazi?

What did you actually do that was positive?

Nice clothes, though.

MN J on June 26, 2014 at 3:28 PM

And those words don’t change the meanings of the words you said. Plus, if you can’t manage to master the language to get your point across on something so basic, then you have no business bandying words with foreign officials.

ConDem on June 26, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Well, Romney described himself as “progressive.” So in that sense, perhaps. But also Romney had the brilliance to call himself a “severe conservative.” So, I imagine that Hillary is a “severe” something. A false equivalence, that sounds in itself a lot like Romney, lol. And Romney liked to run or either tiptoe away from the issues, a master equivocator. That does sound like Hillary. Hillary’s not that bright. I think we should lay off her with the longshot hope that the dim bulb gets the nomination. Then, and easy take down!

anotherJoe on June 26, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Use this picture, HA

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM

gwelf on June 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM

And thats a fact.

rob verdi on June 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM

“…these words…”

ConDem on June 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Shad? You are needed.

katy the mean old lady on June 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM

It sure is!

Romney earned his money, give great amounts of time and money to charity, doesn’t cheat on his taxes, and isn’t a pathological liar.

jukin3 on June 26, 2014 at 3:32 PM

All replaced by her usual hot air.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Whoops! Shad, you are on the ball!

katy the mean old lady on June 26, 2014 at 3:32 PM

That’s a lovely blue top she’s wearing. I bet Bill choose the color.

Flange on June 26, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Hillary: There is a difference between me and Romney. I am nice sweet Dem that has never left anyone behind and never leaves loose ends and Romney is nothing more than an evil rascally Republican that goes around with binders of women

ConservativePartyNow on June 26, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Whether it is politically speaking or method of becoming a 0.1-percenter or use of the wealth that made them a 0.1-percenter, she’s right.

Romney is a middle-of-the-road politician, swaying with the wind, who despite being born into money, earned his own pile in the private sector and gave back rather generously. Clinton is a female clone of Che Guevara, who cronied her way to wealth through her political connection with her husband and jealously guards her pile.

Steve Eggleston on June 26, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Schad? You are needed.

katy the mean old lady on June 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM

At your service, ktmol :)

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 3:32 PM

talking with our neighbors

Hahahahaha!!!!

or going shopping

*COUGH* *SPIT* WHAT?!? This woman hasn’t “gone shopping” in decades, probably.

standing

Huh???

talking to people in these bookstores

Ummm, did you read the rules about your book signings? There was no talking.

GWB on June 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Never gets old, the drunk hag in full display.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM

If Hillary were more like Romney she could be right about something once in a while.

RadClown on June 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Way dangerous for the land to have the Muslim Brotherhood in a Hillary cabinet.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM

What a fluking clown. Romey made his money in the free market. You made you money off the back of your rapist husband.

jawkneemusic on June 26, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Yeah, Governor Romney actually earned his wealth through hard work and his business sense.

slickwillie2001 on June 26, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Hillary: Comparing me with Mitt Romney is a ‘false equivalence’

Oh, I’ll take this one…

Correct you are Hill, Romney actually earned his wealth.

JusDreamin on June 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Accumulate unfettered power?

southsideironworks on June 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Yeah, she is better compared to a turd.

SansJeux on June 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Ummm, did you read the rules about your book signings? There was no talking.

GWB on June 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Well Jason Mattera did ask Hillary to sign his book to Christopher Stevens. She of course refused.

I’d love the temper tantrum Cankles threw after that>

jukin3 on June 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

slickwillie2001 on June 26, 2014 at 3:35 PM

LOL, great minds Willie.

JusDreamin on June 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

“People can judge me for what I’ve done.”

Ron Brown: “We need Hillary for president like I need another hole in the head.”

slickwillie2001 on June 26, 2014 at 3:37 PM

People can judge me for what I’ve done.

And, they will. And, they will.

Techster64 on June 26, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I’d love the temper tantrum Cankles threw after that>

jukin3 on June 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Jason’s problem was he wasn’t subtle enough. He should have said, “Make it out to C. Stevens.”

Steve Eggleston on June 26, 2014 at 3:38 PM

She’s right … someone owes Mitt Romney a MAJOR apology, right ‘the hang’ now.

listens2glenn on June 26, 2014 at 3:39 PM

The only thing i can think of that Hillary is good at is smearing innocent rape victims of her husband. She is very good at that.

jukin3 on June 26, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Romney at least has some shreds of actual integrity, humility, compassion, ethics, morals, responsibility, charity……
(extreme understatement intended)

dentarthurdent on June 26, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Devil in the blue dress.

Bmore on June 26, 2014 at 3:39 PM

slickwillie2001 on June 26, 2014 at 3:35 PM

He also created thousands of jobs, something the Clintons have never done.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Hildabeast is not going to be President. She isn’t going to be the nominee.

ConstantineXI on June 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

The “five little words” defense probably sounded good in practice, just like the “what difference, at this point, does it make” deflection. In real world applications they worked equally well.

ROCnPhilly on June 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Comparing me with Mitt Romney is a ‘false equivalence’

yaaa..aaaai ha a bagaainaa..an aaaaim a po blaf wumun !

burrata on June 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Cue the fake laugh then don’t answer the question. Typical Clinton, hope everyone can see this as phony!

rjoco1 on June 26, 2014 at 3:41 PM

He also created thousands of jobs, something the Clintons have never done.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Not true!! Millions of government workers were created under the Clintons. Productive and positive economic jobs? No.

jukin3 on June 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM

jukin3 on June 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I disagree completely. She made a demonstrably false statement that she thought would endear her to middle class voters and make her “just a regular person”, it was a calculated political ploy that backfired on her. There is nothing unwarranted about the storm that has followed. Indeed, she has forgotten the first rule of holes.

Johnnyreb on June 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I’d love the temper tantrum Cankles threw after that>

jukin3 on June 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Did you see this pompous ahole clutch his pearls over it ?

burrata on June 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM

“Inartful use of words” = utter stupidity

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM

That’s a lovely blue top she’s wearing. I bet Bill choose the color.

Flange on June 26, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Did it have “Aim Higher” embroidered on it?

viking01 on June 26, 2014 at 3:45 PM

“People can judge me for what I’ve done.”

Which is what?

blammm on June 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM

jukin3 on June 26, 2014 at 3:39 PM

But she’s the most accomplished politician of the last 20 years!

ROCnPhilly on June 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Riiiiight…. Because Mitt, who um… Actually works for his wealth…. Is somehow not worthy, while of course Hillary…. Who has done absolutely NOTHING to earn her wealth other than kickbacks and favoritism….. Somehow is……

Uh huh.

KMC1 on June 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago. I know where she is from. Trust me, hardship was not on the menu…

djl130 on June 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I’d love the temper tantrum Cankles threw after that>

jukin3 on June 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Steve Eggleston on June 26, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Poor Bill will just never get it. He is always behind on almost everything. Guess that is the quality cred you get over at Inside edition. So happy I don’t waste time watching tv. If he is the highest rated we are screwed. Yeah Bill, troubling story?!?! Get off your fat ass and cover something really important then!

Bmore on June 26, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Hildabeast is not going to be President. She isn’t going to be the nominee.

ConstantineXI on June 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I wish I could have your confidence in the voters of this country… but, I just can’t after the last 2 elections…..

I just can’t suppress my fear that we are already well into The Idiocracy.

dentarthurdent on June 26, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Of course not, Killary, Mitt only eats one plateful at a time….

viking01 on June 26, 2014 at 3:51 PM

“People can judge me for what I’ve done.”

Well, we know what you’ve done Hillary, and names like Foster and Stevens come to mind. The question is and always has been, what have you accomplished?

HiJack on June 26, 2014 at 3:51 PM

The extremely repellent laughter again and again and again… Let us hope folks that this very stupid woman with zero charisma and extremely repellent character and voice is the democrat nominee in 2016…

mnjg on June 26, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Hildabeast is not going to be President. She isn’t going to be the nominee.

ConstantineXI on June 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Wahabis waited long enough, it’s their turn. 8 years to the shia is all they had yielded for.

burrata on June 26, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Mitt Romney was born into privilege and he spent his entire life and fortune working hard in a difficult industry as a turnaround specialist.

The Clintons were born white trash and the only thing that changed was the amount in the bank accounts.

BKennedy on June 26, 2014 at 3:57 PM

false equivalence

Most poor people use those two words every day, right?

faraway on June 26, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Really, Ms. Rodham-Clinton? We can judge you for what you’ve done? Tried to foist socialized medicine on us 17 years before Obama did? Gave Putin a “reset button” so he could invade Ukraine? Left our ambassador defenseless in Libya? You want us to judge you for that?

Perhaps you might want to be compared with Mitt Romney. Romney might be richer, but he’s provided lots of jobs and had the good sense to see Russia as a “geopolitical foe”, which you didn’t!

Steve Z on June 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM

These gaffes by Hillary are a great time for her to sharpen her lying skills.

She’s already an accomplished liar but to run for president of the US as a democrat and committed leftist/progressive/corrupt politician she really needs to be a liar par excellence.

darwin on June 26, 2014 at 4:04 PM

She got part of that right that people can judge her on what she has done but forgot to tell us what that is. I’m sure she is comfortable with who she is but she forgets that in politics it is all about how you feel about others and how they feel about you.

tej on June 26, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Hillary: Comparing me with Mitt Romney is a ‘false equivalence’

Of course it is–Clinton is a dishonest lying weasel, scumbag, and a thief. So, no comparison.

zoyclem on June 26, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Yup, they will always claim it and then once voted in, will ensure their constituents are kept there…#perpetualvictims…

hillsoftx on June 26, 2014 at 4:11 PM

This Alinsky bred Lying dishonest megalomaniacal grafter isn’t fit to shine Romneys shoes.
She take her louse of a husband and their phony marriage ad get the hell off the stage…..
AND I still want to know….
WHO GAVE THE STAND DOWN ORDER FOR BENGHAZI MADAME 3AM??

FlaMurph on June 26, 2014 at 4:12 PM

mnjg on June 26, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Forget waterboarding, let’s use that laugh on terrorists.

slickwillie2001 on June 26, 2014 at 4:15 PM

BKennedy on June 26, 2014 at 3:57 PM

To be fair, only Bill was “born” white trash. Hillary was born into a wealthy family and grew up in the rich Chicago suburb of Park Ridge.

She became white trash after she hooked up with Billy Jeff.

Del Dolemonte on June 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM

zoyclem on June 26, 2014 at 4:08 PM

#BringBackOurFurniture

VegasRick on June 26, 2014 at 4:19 PM

You can see the smoke signals and begin to hear the beating of the war drums in the distance:
“Faux-ca-hon-tas FAUX-CA-HON-TAS”

TarheelBen on June 26, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Yeah. He’s rich; she’s only got $100M+./sarc

Clinton protested. “People can judge me for what I’ve done.

Which is …?

Actually, I could list a number of things she has done. I would not call them accomplishments, however.

IrishEyes on June 26, 2014 at 4:26 PM

#BringBackOurFurniture

VegasRick on June 26, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Hahahahaha! True.

IrishEyes on June 26, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Forget waterboarding, let’s use that laugh on terrorists.

slickwillie2001 on June 26, 2014 at 4:15 PM

They would wilt under the threat alone!

IrishEyes on June 26, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Smartest Woman In The World (TM)

rockmom on June 26, 2014 at 4:30 PM

gwelf on June 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Not to mention his literally countless hours of community service. In person, real work, not speaking at fundraising dinners or showing up at a soup line for a photo op.

And giving away millions and millions of dollars of his own money. Not Clinton Foundation laundered donor money.

Romney was a flawed candidate but on character Hillary isn’t fit to shine his boots.

Missy on June 26, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Old joke–but if you were in a room with HRC, S Hussein and OBL, had a gun with two bullets, what would you do?——-Shoot HRC twice!

rjoco1 on June 26, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Nice clothes, though.

MN J on June 26, 2014 at 3:28 PM

ROTFLMAO! That was either the absolute best subtle humor I’ve heard in a long time, or some very lucky phraseology.

NOMOBO on June 26, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Comparing Hillary to Nixon would be a much better equivalence, although Hillary has far surpassed Nixon even as of some time ago.

VorDaj on June 26, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Yes, Romney is a decent person who made his money by working for it.

Occams Stubble on June 26, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Sure, false equivalence.

Mitt made his money in business, and business is icky.

Hillary made her money fleecing cronies.

PattyJ on June 26, 2014 at 4:41 PM

The difference between Clinton and Romney is that he turned down his father’s cash and learned how to make money the old fashioned way. By spending his life working for a living AND being successful at turning around companies.

She gives speeches and writes books that no one reads, yet gets paid well for it.

Gimme Romney any damn day of the week.

GeeWhiz on June 26, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Hillary: Comparing me with Mitt Romney is a ‘false equivalence’

No kidding…

Killary would have been strapped to the top of the roof…..

Electrongod on June 26, 2014 at 3:28 PM

(:->)

JugEarsButtHurt on June 26, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Hillary: Comparing me with Mitt Romney is a ‘false equivalence’

Of course it is….Mitt is the one behind the wheel and Hillary is the one in the crate strapped to the roof.

Ditkaca on June 26, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Hillary: Comparing me with Mitt Romney is a ‘false equivalence’

No kidding…

Killary would have been strapped to the top of the roof…..

Electrongod on June 26, 2014 at 3:28 PM
(:->)

JugEarsButtHurt on June 26, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I guess I should have read the comments first

Ditkaca on June 26, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Hillary: Comparing me with Mitt Romney is a ‘false equivalence’

Yup, Hillary would kick Mitt’s ass in a cattle futures contest.

Dusty on June 26, 2014 at 4:58 PM

She’s right; they’re not equal. Mitt has some integrity.

College Prof on June 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM

the empress has no clothes.

warmairfan on June 26, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Making outrageous remarks seems to be the only way anyone will pay attention to her.

Dusty on June 26, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Dusty on June 26, 2014 at 5:03 PM

She’s starting to remind me of Fredo – “I”M SMAT, AND I DEMAND RESPECT!”

VegasRick on June 26, 2014 at 5:06 PM

By her age, (which is very old) Ms. Master of the Obvious ought to be comfortable with who she is, cankles and all, because she can’t be someone else and it’s too late to make some sea-change in character and personality in time for the 2016 elections, if that’s what she is shooting for.

BTW, it is nice to know she still stands for smearing 12 year old rape victims in order to get a rapist client off and cackling about it when she retells the story. What a piece of work she is.

Dusty on June 26, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Hillary is right that there is no comparison between her and Mitt Romney.

The Romney’s claim charitable giving of around 13% on their tax returns. Most of it goes to their church. They actually give more than 3% but didn’t want to claim it.

The Clinton’s claim charitable giving of around 6% on their tax returns. Most of it goes to the Clinton Foundation which pays Chelsea a salary.

WestTexasBirdDog on June 26, 2014 at 5:16 PM

She’s right, she’s nothing like Mitt. Mitt has all kinds of executive experience, and he’s an honorable man of character and doesn’t have a bunch of skeletons in his closet. He is who he says he is, doesn’t change his colors (or his accent) depending on who he’s talking to, and he doesn’t embellish stories with untruths.

scalleywag on June 26, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Families are struggling…its important that we all figure out what we are gonna do…and that is what I’ve done my entire life

Except for the period of time when you were in a powerful position in the current President’s Cabinet. Couldn’t figure out a solution to struggling families then, could you Hillary?? Very few Americans were actually in a position of such power to make a difference like you were and DID NOT.

txmomof6 on June 26, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I’m thinkin’ more and more she’d be easier to beat then the fake Indian.

Kissmygrits on June 26, 2014 at 5:52 PM