Rand Paul on Thad Cochran’s Democrat-driven win: “I’m for more people voting”

posted at 8:41 pm on June 25, 2014 by Allahpundit

There must be a long German word for when someone admits he holds a position you knew he held but you’re shocked at the admission anyway.

I’m calling it Paulkandorshpiel.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), a potential 2016 presidential contender, declined to support tea party critics of Mississippi Sen. Thad Cochran’s efforts to mobilize non-GOP voters to win the Republican nomination.

“I’m for more people voting, not less people voting,” Paul told reporters Wednesday…

Cochran’s vote total grew by almost 40,000 votes from the initial June 3 primary to Tuesday’s runoff against state Sen. Chris McDaniel (R). Much of that growth has been credited to courting independent and Democratic voters on the state’s Gulf Coast, where shipyard work has been supported by Cochran for decades, and also an aggressive effort to turn out black voters.

In Mississippi all voters can cast ballots in one party’s primary. Paul noted that one of his sons spent time at summer camp working on a proposal that would open up Kentucky’s closed primary system to independent voters.

So … yes, turns out that a guy who’s banking on traditionally non-Republican voters to carry him to the nomination — libertarians, minorities, doves — does think that opening up primaries is a good idea. Go figure. Cochran’s win must be especially encouraging to him since no one’s spent more time on outreach to black voters lately within the GOP as Rand has, replete with a Senate bill to restore voting rights to disenfranchised felons that’s, er, probably unconstitutional. (Don’t tell Ron!) That sort of outreach paid off big for the incumbent in Mississippi last night. Maybe 10 points big:

We can hold the African-American percentage of the population variables constant in both the Cochran and McDaniel regressions, while adjusting the non-African American variables. This process mirrors on a county level what would happen if white or traditionally Republican turnout went up but black or traditionally Democratic turnout didn’t change from the first to the second round. In my scenario, I kept the African-American turnout constant from the first round of voting, but let the white vote increase as it actually did.

The result: Cochran loses a lot of votes. Instead of Cochran winning the runoff by 2 points, or about 6,000 votes, he loses by a little less than 8 points, or about 25,000 votes. He drops about 40,000 votes from his 190,000 vote total, while McDaniel loses only about 15,000 from his 185,000 vote total.

Democratic crossovers have affected presidential primaries too. McCain, for instance, benefited in Michigan in 2000. So far, so good. It’s just that, er, Rand’s ostensible base in 2016 is right-wingers, and right-wingers are the group that’s most honked off at having just watched an establishment dinosaur surf Democratic votes to reelection in a Republican primary. That’s what’s shocking — that Paul, after endorsing McConnell, would now turn around and bless Cochran’s lefty-driven win while the tea partiers he’s counting on to spur him to the nomination seethe. Why not say something like “Expanding the GOP’s big tent is important but shrinking government and restoring liberty is more important, and I think McDaniel would have done a better job of that”?

But maybe I’m wrong about who Rand’s 2016 base is. I think when he first started making noise about running for president he planned to build a coalition of conservatives and libertarians and to try his luck against the establishment that way. Since Cruz’s star began ascending, though, Paul may be rethinking that; he’s not going to out-tea-party Cruz, so maybe he’s better off trying to build a more moderate coalition — libertarians, minorities, doves, as noted earlier — while counting on his fiscal conservatism and his occasional nods at hawkishness to make him a plausible option for conservatives who don’t like Cruz for whatever reason. That would explain his comments here, and it’d also explain why he’s been swinging at Dick Cheney lately rather than trying to pander to GOP hawks the way he did when Russia made a move on Ukraine. His path to the nomination no longer runs through being the most right-wing guy in the race. Or, at least, it doesn’t until Cruz declares that he’s not running after all.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The smartest politician in the bunch. Hats off! I was worried, about him supporting the craziness of challenging this election by McDaniel. Glad to see that people see can still spot a political minefield.

Phew!!!!!

coolrepublica on June 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Well, the mask is slipping. Libertarians have also been another wing of GOPe. Their leanings are more with the Progressives with whom they differ on details and they hate conservatives like everybody else. They are employed by the GOPe to split conservative vote, that’s all.

promachus on June 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Rand has become one of the pod people. What is it about DC that destroys men and replaces them with crooks?

njrob on June 25, 2014 at 8:46 PM

But maybe I’m wrong about who Rand’s 2016 base is.

Looks like Rand Paul has signed onto the establishment gravy train and is willing to make any deal that gets him his cut.

sharrukin on June 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Tree. Apple.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Phew!!!!!

coolrepublica on June 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

With your ringing endorsement, I’d say, Rand Paul is officially DOA.

oscarwilde on June 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM

promachus on June 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Libertarians are not monolithic, not even close. Why so many conservatives choose to ignore this fascinates me.

That said, Rand Paul sucks about as much as his dad. He has as much chance of ever being prez as Chris Christie.

non-nonpartisan on June 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM

promachus on June 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Careful with that broad brush, pal.

ElectricPhase on June 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Ted Cruz wants to sit on the SCOTUS, not in the WH. And his best chance of that happening is by electing POTUS Rand Paul.

Gotta run. Be back soon…

JohnGalt23 on June 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM

promachus on June 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

I would say they’re drawing a paycheck from the left in most cases, but it depends on the race.

Missy on June 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I am to the right of Attila the Hun. I was initially excited by Rand Paul, but there’s no way I would vote foe him for re-election to the Senate, let alone for President.

Rand Paul has no scruples. He will tell his audience whatever he thinks they want to hear.

bw222 on June 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I can’t believe I voted for this guy. Oh wait, his opponent was a POS GOPe type. I picked the stupid of two evils.

Norky on June 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM

With your ringing endorsement, I’d say, Rand Paul is officially DOA.

oscarwilde on June 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM

You are really not going to like it when I say I applauded Ted Cruz when he congratulated Cochran on his win and backed away from this challenge as well.

Sorry Ted Cruz, you are DOA because you too can spot a political minefield. lol

coolrepublica on June 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

There is a block of people in the Republican party that will not vote for Paul in the General. The John McCains and citizens like him are not going to vote for Paul.

He knows this.

However, there is a group of people that wouldn’t vote for any Republican EXCEPT Paul. For example, I could see how someone like Bill Maher might vote for Ron Paul over Hillary.

Skipity on June 25, 2014 at 8:52 PM

The point of a primary is for PARTY MEMBERS to pick their party’s nomination, not so people from outside the party can pick it. I don’t understand why this is so difficult for some people. If you want to influence a party’s nomination join the party. If you don’t want to join the party, don’t vote in their primary. Or put another way, Pepsi should have no say in telling Coke how to run their business.

Flange on June 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Rand Paul,……Thick as a Brick!!

canopfor on June 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Rand Paul on Thad Cochran’s Democrat-driven win:

‘I’m for whatever the GOPe is for, because I want to be a GOPe superstar, and I’m a man of no principles. Seriously, who cares about rampant voter fraud and the fact that Cochran is a dementia-suffering disaster who will be easily beaten by his democrat opponent in November. As long as I’m siding with the GOPe, and fighting to “crush” those nasty Teabaggers, like my boyfriend Mitch, I’m good.’

Pork-Chop on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

You all don’t get it. Rand is going to win the primary, and has a very good chance of winning the general election, and he’s going to win more black voters for the GOP than anyone else.

libfreeordie on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

“I’m for more people voting, not less fewer people voting,”

pet peeve, lol… anyway. that statement is intentionally vague and does not address the question of: “WHO are these additional people who are voting?” the additional people who voted for cochran are obama supporters. what does that say about cochran?

i think mcdaniel should not challenge the result but still, i can se why he’s mad.

Sachiko on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

promachus on June 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Many, if not most, Libertarians are liberals who don’t want to pay taxes.

bw222 on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Does Rand believe in “walking around money”…? He doesn’t have deep enough pockets.

d1carter on June 25, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Tree. Apple.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM

No, I knew where his dad stood on the issues and I never saw him suck up to the establishment. I don’t think Rand has a core.

chuckfinlay on June 25, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I’ve been one of the most Rand Paul guys on HA since ’09.

He’s now reaching the STFU point.

Whoever is strategerizing for him needs to be fired. The man has lost the path.

budfox on June 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Flange on June 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I do-they’re morons, the type that think that Rand and Ron Paul are wise, honest men who understand human nature.

non-nonpartisan on June 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM

All the people I like and endorse

Ted Cruz
Sarah Palin
Rand Paul
Newt Gingrich
Rick Santorum
Mike Huckabee
Scott Walker
Mike Pence
Rick Perry
Jeb Bush
Chris Christie

I think they are all great Americans. Oscarwilde, feel free to hate every single of them because I LIKE them.

coolrepublica on June 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM

libfreeordie on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

as a conservative, i’m not sure if i want him to win the primary though. i’m not sure if i like him. i don’t feel like i can trust him at this point. he’s said various things that make me hesitate to support him.

Sachiko on June 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Politically, it would be dumb for Rand Paul to endorse McDaniel after the election. If he was going to say anything anti-Cochran it was going to be before the primary.

Mister Mets on June 25, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Many, if not most, Libertarians are liberals who don’t want to pay taxes.

bw222 on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

You mean “Fiscal Conservatives”.

budfox on June 25, 2014 at 8:58 PM

There were zero conservatives who voted for Cochran. You have way underestimated the enemy’s desire to protect one of their seats.

Buddahpundit on June 25, 2014 at 8:58 PM

I’ve been one of the most Rand Paul guys on HA since ’09.

He’s now reaching the STFU point.

Whoever is strategerizing for him needs to be fired. The man has lost the path.

budfox on June 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM

But people like you and me don’t decide the General election. That group hasn’t even heard of Rand Paul Yet.

Overexposure? Hardly.

Skipity on June 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Notice who is praising Rand Paul? The trolls.

bw222 on June 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM

libfreeordie on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Huh? And even if this were true, Huh? Where do you get this stuff?

Pork-Chop on June 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM

But people like you and me don’t decide the General election.

Skipity on June 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Enough stayed home that both Romney lost and McCain lost.

It’s entirely possible that people like you DO decide elections.

sharrukin on June 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Maybes its time for a new Acronym:

GOP

DNC,

……….GDNOCP
(snark)

canopfor on June 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I want to hear the question and the answer in its entirety.

Too many times I read the headlines and a little blurb and get
all annoyed at Rand Paul, then later on come across the full context of the question and Rand Paul’s response, then find out
most everything was taken out of context.

Amjean on June 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM

He was a better ophthalmologist…

d1carter on June 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Skipity on June 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Well, his only chance is that people just vote for him, without knowing who he is. If they start listening to him, he’s doomed.

Pork-Chop on June 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM

libfreeordie on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

McDaniel is a neo-confederate because his interns re-tweeted something from a racist (not even a racist Tweet, just a Tweet by a racist) and he has attended conferences held by a group that had among its members Harry Truman and the current Governor of MS, but Mr. “I don’t think we needed the CRA” is going to win record numbers of black votes?

Anyway, the more he panders like this, the less likely he’ll win the primary. It’ll be TP favorite (Ted Cruz) against establishment favortie (Jeb Bush), and I’m not sure who will win.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM

When will the media stop talking to this guy? Who does he represent outside of Kentucky?

kcewa on June 25, 2014 at 9:04 PM

libfreeordie on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Huh? And even if this were true, Huh? Where do you get this stuff?

Pork-Chop on June 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM

It’s always good to know the type of person you’re dealing with.

I have said many times that I post here for gags, stunts and shows.

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 25, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Overexposure? Hardly.

Skipity on June 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM

How often is pandering to the center/center-left before a primary successful?

McCain was the “reasonable” alternative in 2000, and he lost. In 2012 it was Huntsman who was the “sane” one, and he got creamed.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Right. And as he just said he want to compromise on amnesty, and by compromise I’m sure he means give full amnesty for as many current illegals as possible, so they can all vote Dem, and why not also import a lot more like Obama is apparently doing so we can even more future amnesties and even more future non-Republican voters. Awesome!

anotherJoe on June 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Tree. Apple.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 25, 2014 at 8:47 PM

chuckfinlay on June 25, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Somehow Rand Paul nodding at Black Dems coming out to vote is proof that he’s a racist like his father or something. :D

Anyway, the real issue, is what the GOP actually said about the Tea Party people. I wouldn’t want to vote for someone that called me a racist. I guess we’ll see how this plays out.

chris0christies0donut on June 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Many, if not most, Libertarians are liberals who don’t want to pay taxes.

bw222 on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Libertarians believe in and require a strong sense of personal responsibility. Liberals can’t even conceive of such a thing.

ElectricPhase on June 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

What’s to wonder at?

The GOP was not founded as a small government party; it was expressly a big government party.

The minimalism of Coolidge was something of a Republican apostasy and the party only adopted a small government late in life, as a differentiation response to the wild excesses of FDR.

But the GOP never really meant it and was gaga for New Dealers like Nixon and the Bushes.

Maybe Jeb was unintentionally correct when he said we need to get over Reagan, because that fine man’s revered memory has blinded us to what a rotten bunch of pigs at the trough the GOP has really always been.

And Rand Paul is a crank.

bildung on June 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

In case anyone missed this:

************** RINO PURGE ALERT ***********************!!

US same-sex marriage
2m
Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, indicates for 1st time her support for same-sex marriage – @bdnpolitics
Read more on bangordailynews.com

canopfor on June 25, 2014 at 7:17 PM

canopfor on June 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

bw222 on June 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Rand Paul to constituent: I’ll tell you privately why I support Mitch McConnell, not publicly

One constituent asked him why he came out in support of Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Louisville.

Paul declined to answer the question publicly, saying he would speak with her in private and explain his reason for supporting the senior senator.

non-nonpartisan on June 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

libfreeordie on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Oh, Jesus H – LibFree still comes around here?

For years you bagged on Rand.

Try this out – I’ve been a staunch Paul supporter and I’m now two moves away from disowning him.

So who’s going to fill the void when people like me, his core base, split? Plantation Zombie black voters? Please.

Rand could have gotten legit black support. Instead, he bought into kissing black collegiate cause ass, aka the Van Jones Club.

The line he’s trying to thread does not play. I do not support his decriminalization/rights position because it plays into the larger rehab/restorative justice movement.

Being friends with Reid is a massive strike against. Saying it just for political posture is even worse.

Proggies will never vote for him. Never. Paul’s drinking poison Kool-Aid believing it’s possible.

Someone else now has the winning message, but he’s not electable. He needs a proxy to carry it for him, and then ’16 is over before it began.

budfox on June 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Pehaps Rand Paul has given up any pretense of trying to appeal to the base, and is going to from now on just try to appeal to his dad’s followers and to Dems and the liberal media.

anotherJoe on June 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM

The GOP will betray you

True_King on June 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM

promachus on June 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Your right, the mask IS slipping, but its not a libertarian, democrat or Republican mask…its a Washington mask, one that stinks of permanent ruling class elitism. Most of our “representatives” only pay lip service to their constituents during voting season, then head back to the marble halls of Washington to finish fleecing us and secure their own legacy of wealth and corruption.
This is a classic example, last cycle was Murkowski and her primary loss and subsequent write in ride back to Washington. We are fooling ourselves if we think we have a voice anymore, I dont know what is in the water back east, or who gets to who once they show up but the eager to elicit change and I’m gonna stand for the people seems to die pretty quick after election day.

Koa on June 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Rand’s always reaching out, and as a result more people he needs to win the nomination walk away.Is he just stupid or really crazy like his daddy?So are you saying all our primaries should be open to people who will never in a million years vote Republican in the general?Yeah you keep reaching out Rand-interesting way to win the nomination-surefire way to lose the general.Answered my own question-you are a stupid loon!

redware on June 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Rand continues on his book tour.

I’m not sure why he thinks it’s not worth running in 2016, but he clearly doesn’t. Maybe Hillary?

libfreeordie on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Rand Paul isn’t going to win the primary, but if he did, it would be because of McDaniel voters.

He has very good chance of winning the election if Hillary falls down a flight of stairs. I’d like to see him win, but I’m realistic. If America passes on the First! Woman! President! it would be to call upon a competent executive like Scott Walker or even Chris Christie in our hour of increasingly dire need, not to elect a Republican Obama.

And finally, he certainly would win more black voters than any other candidate. What do you figure, 8%? No way he gets to 10%. And this is a segment whose total size is about 1/6 of white voters.

HitNRun on June 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

“I’m for more people voting”

A follow up for my earlier comment. Faded.

Bmore on June 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

libfreeordie

And he’ll have to run and govern as a democrat to do it. What a victory for republicans, lol.

xblade on June 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Rand Paul , sir , you disgust me .

Lucano on June 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM

OT: But kind of related to Libertarians and Paulbots? And Thad.

The DCCC is rolling out their stars in readiness to raise funds off tomorrow’s Hobby Lobby decision.

Sandra Fluke ‏@SandraFluke 6m
SIGN & RT if you believe your boss shouldn’t be involved in your health care decisions. http://dccc.org/fluke #HobbyLobby

kcewa on June 25, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Notice who is praising Rand Paul? The trolls.

bw222 on June 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM

look Rand Paul who is not praising you. the guy who think black people voted for Cochran because they were promise fried chicken.

You’re alright in my book when you lose bw222.

coolrepublica on June 25, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Rand does know that Thad only won the GOP primary right…? There will be a general in November.

d1carter on June 25, 2014 at 9:14 PM

libfreeordie

The Primary?

kcewa on June 25, 2014 at 9:14 PM

redware on June 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM

=)

non-nonpartisan on June 25, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Just a chip off the old block. You know Ronulus made a real connection with the blacks.
And the military loves him.

libfreeordie on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Recon5 on June 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Which group is larger, Rand?

A.- Conrevatives outraged by this crap?
B.- Blacks who would vote for ANY republican in a general election?

wolly4321 on June 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM

It’s entirely possible that people like you DO decide elections.

sharrukin on June 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM

People who are aware, are aware.

Those who are not, stay ignorant until the end and then vote on emotions.

Paul has no emotional appeal. His strength was that he made you think about the issue. Now he’s avoiding it because it has too much risk.

So without people like me, Paul doesn’t get out of the starting gate.

He wants to go talk to Progs? He needs to challenge them. Instead, he’s been on a “listening tour”, and that he can blow out his arse.

budfox on June 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM

You’re alright in my book when you lose bw222.

coolrepublica on June 25, 2014 at 9:13 PM

They weren’t promised anything. Dem voters are so programmed by this point that they automatically sign their ballots and give them to the party to fill out. For nothing in return.

kcewa on June 25, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Paul is caught in a leftward political death spiral.

Wigglesworth on June 25, 2014 at 9:17 PM

The Right Rand doesn’t know what the Left Rand is doing…

It appears Rand is trying to turn into a bigger populist than Bill O’Reilly / Ted Baxter.

Vote early and often? Rand?

viking01 on June 25, 2014 at 9:20 PM

budfox on June 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM

That is a big part of the problem. He needs a solid vision to appeal to people based on principle and he is poisoning that well week after week with unprincipled pandering.

sharrukin on June 25, 2014 at 9:20 PM

A.- Conrevatives outraged by this crap?
B.- Blacks who would vote for ANY republican in a general election?

wolly4321 on June 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM

So B.

Skipity on June 25, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Does DC poison good people … or is it a magnet for poisoned people?

/Yeah, I know: Both

ShainS on June 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Just think at a time in the not to distant past this clown had promise, stick a fork in Rand now ’cause he’s done. He has said some confusing things of late. I don’t see where he is going to get enough support to win in the primaries, he might due well in some states but then again so did his Daddy and we all saw how that worked out.

Goes to show the old addage about fruits not falling to far from it’s tree.

IMHO of course.

D-fusit on June 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

and he’s going to win more black voters for the GOP than anyone else.

libfreeordie

Remember: Libfree will be correct when the 5% African-American vote for Republicans swells to 6.5%

Big whoop.

BigAlSouth on June 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

anotherJoe on June 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I think it’s money.

He really did change strategy after going to Wall Street. You can map it out pretty clearly.

The pretense about “more voters” makes me wonder if this is a reworking of his immigration position.

budfox on June 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I’m done with Paul. Walker, Perry, Jindal are my guys now.

Jack_Burton on June 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Paul is just another rapidly evolving politician.

mobydutch on June 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Paul is caught in a leftward political death spiral.

Wigglesworth on June 25, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Actually, he’s caught in a Romney-esque post spine-ectomy identity crisis….but outwardly it has pretty much the same appearance.

ElectricPhase on June 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM

It’s the way Rand Paul is co-opting socially Liberal positions to garner those votes that has surprised me.

Then again, he’s been flip-flopping all of the place during the last year. Give him three months and his position will probably be different.

lineholder on June 25, 2014 at 9:23 PM

I hope I get the chance to vote for Rand Paul in the republican primary…he seems like the best candidate to beat killary

redyoshii on June 25, 2014 at 9:24 PM

The staggering price of crushing the tea party

The scope of the effort to suppress activist-backed candidates has been broader and costlier than is widely understood, covering at least 20 House and Senate primaries from North Carolina to California, and from coastal Mississippi to the outer tip of Long Island. The loose coalition of establishment forces encompasses two dozen advocacy groups, industry associations and super PACs that have raised and spent millions on behalf of Washington’s chosen candidates.

Nearly a third of the establishment money has come from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

After the Chamber of Commerce, the most prolific spenders have been American Crossroads, which spent $2.4 million boosting Senate candidate Thom Tillis in North Carolina and tearing down three-time New York congressional candidate Matt Doheny; and the National Association of Realtors, which put nearly $2 million into protecting a half-dozen GOP incumbents. National advocacy groups such as the National Rifle Association and the American Action Network have gone to bat, with the NRA rushing to Mississippi Sen. Thad Cochran’s aid and AAN helping nominate state Sen. Lee Zeldin in a New York congressional primary this week.

kcewa on June 25, 2014 at 9:25 PM

bildung on June 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Today’s GOP is the Republican Party the Democrats have portrayed it as for decades – a party totally controlled by big business and fat cats.

Mark Levine said that 1/3 of the money put up against conservatives in 2014 primaries has come from the Chamber of Commerce.

bw222 on June 25, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Well there were probably 1.2 million Blacks who voted for Romney: and less than that number of conservatives will even here about this “outrage.” So B. Skipity on June 25, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I’m pretty sure more than 1.2 million heard about it today from Rush, alone.

wolly4321 on June 25, 2014 at 9:28 PM

The GOP Pauls will betray you

True_King on June 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM

thebrokenrattle on June 25, 2014 at 9:29 PM

“I’m for more people voting”

A follow up for my earlier comment. Faded.

Bmore on June 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Heh.

ShainS on June 25, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Many, if not most, Libertarians are liberals who don’t want to pay taxes.

bw222 on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

And legally smoke weed .

Alabama Infidel on June 25, 2014 at 9:30 PM

So I guess we know where he stands on the issue of voter ID.

fitzsweetpea on June 25, 2014 at 9:31 PM

There are two major issues that can have a major effect of the 2016 election:

1. The Middle East. I was listening to the former CEO of Shell Oil who was talking about the price of gasoline increasing by 50% by 2016.

2. The border, especially if the current rate of illegals flowing into the country continues and the majority of those entering (males 14 – 17) really start causing trouble outside the barrio.

bw222 on June 25, 2014 at 9:33 PM

chris0christies0donut on June 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

bingo.
done with the gop. I’ll write someone in before I vote again for a mccain/romney type.
I’m too much of a racist to vote for someone like them anymore.

dmacleo on June 25, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Rand Paul is a cheesy opportunist who is all over the map, trying to appease/appeal to everyone. As a result, he has no core, no center. He is a fool.

The McDaniel loss is particularly bitter because of the slanders hurled at Chris. Cochran played a nasty game in promising that government will take care of every “need.” Cochran forgets that a government that gives everything can take everything away when in runs out of money. Most importantly reliance on government takes away freedom.

onlineanalyst on June 25, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Rand Paul has nothing to say about the effort to cast the TEA party and McDaniel as “racist.” That smear effort is what led to the Dem voters influencing a Republican primary and is why Cochran was able to hang on.
See here: http://twitchy.com/2014/06/24/ms-senate-primary-pro-cochran-ads-accuse-mcdaniel-tea-party-of-racism-pics-audio/

Stand with Rand
Can’t Stand Rand

bluegill on June 25, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Mark Levin said that 1/3 of the money put up against conservatives in 2014 primaries has come from the Chamber of Commerce.

bw222 on June 25, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I think Mark Levin is correct. They obviously own Weasel Boehner and Turtle McConnell and want cheapo labor no matter whom it screws.

Levin also makes a good point that Boehner and McConnell would have tried to keep Reagan off the presidential ballot nowadays.

Many may remember in 1980 the establishment candidate was George HW Bush. It wasn’t until Ronaldus Magnus’ powerful “I’m paying for this microphone!” where GHWB suddenly became second fiddle.

viking01 on June 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM

chris0christies0donut on June 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

bingo.
I’m too much of a racist to vote for someone like them anymore.

dmacleo on June 25, 2014 at 9:34 PM

The GOP is going to pay for what happened in MS, and they are not going to like it. =)

non-nonpartisan on June 25, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Many, if not most, Libertarians are liberals who don’t want to pay taxes.

bw222 on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Well, they can use that money – street drugs aren’t cheap, y’know.

whatcat on June 25, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Hmmm… I hate being 100% right on all my prognostications. Rand Paul is a closet liberal that was just screaming to get out. Now get out

Brock Robamney on June 25, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Wow, this guy may have set a record of turning from a
promising politician into a pile of manure faster than
any politician in recent memory…way to go Rand…

ToddPA on June 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Does DC poison good people … or is it a magnet for poisoned people?

/Yeah, I know: Both

ShainS on June 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

No, most of these guys are dishonest dirt bags before they get to DC. Some are just better at fooling the Sheeple…See Mr. M. Rubio.

Alabama Infidel on June 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Reminds me of the German word for stepping in a puddle:

Myfeeterwet

HopeHeFails on June 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM

bw222 on June 25, 2014 at 9:33 PM

and

3. A 9/11 repeat because of Ogabe’s releasing 5 Taliban, surrender in Iraq, his overall laziness, and indifference to the border.

viking01 on June 25, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Scratch a Libertarian and you often get a Lefty who doesn’t feel so guilty about wanting to hang on to his money, after all.

formwiz on June 25, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Paul is done.

He’s a smart enough guy, but he’s too political, and he is putting his money on the wrong horse(s).

Anyone can see where the momentum is — the base is rising up.

For me, it’s Cruz all the way.

WhatSlushfund on June 25, 2014 at 9:41 PM