Make way for the next phase of ObamaCare: Implementing the employer mandate

posted at 8:41 pm on June 24, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

When the Obama administration, ahem, extralegally delayed the implementation of ObamaCare’s employer mandate — pushing the original deadline for January 2014 back to January 2015 for businesses with 100+ workers, and all the way back to January 2016 for businesses with 50 to 99 workers — they were only delaying the inevitable, and purely for political time bonuses. The rough and costly processes that many businesses are going to have to go through to comply with the law are only just beginning, as the Washington Post mentioned in a report today:

In recent weeks, criticism of the Affordable Care Act’s employer mandate — one of the law’s most controversial components — has intensified, as employers such as Settles complain publicly and even some Obama administration allies acknowledge that the mandate has harmed some workers.

A number of businesses, including Regal Entertainment and SeaWorld, have reduced hours for part-time workers to fewer than 30 a week — the law’s definition of full time — to avoid having to offer them health insurance. Other companies say they are holding back on hiring to avoid the insurance requirement. Seasonal employees and low-wage workers, such as adjunct professors and cafeteria staffers, have been hit especially hard. …

Many of the employers that have cut part-time hours or taken other actions to limit their costs under the law, such as fast-food restaurants and school districts, have large numbers of seasonal or hourly-wage workers. Traditionally, most of these workers have not received health benefits. And they are often difficult to categorize as part time or full time, because their hours vary.

Reducing hours and holding back on hiring? Sounds like just what the doctor ordered for our recently shrunken economy (which only contracted because of that unseasonably cold winter we had, don’tcha’ know).

The White House has already pretty much Declared Victory on its crowning legislative achievement based on signups in the new independent marketplace that it fashioned in its own ideological image, but ObamaCare’s implementation and the corresponding consequences for the private sector have barely even begun.

Comments

This is going to be crushing.

Bishop on June 24, 2014 at 8:48 PM

The moment I have been waiting for as all my employed, Lib acquaintances now get to see exactly what they voted for….#epicshrieking…

hillsoftx on June 24, 2014 at 8:52 PM

The last two years of the Obamanation are going to be the darkest days of America.

ConstantineXI on June 24, 2014 at 8:57 PM

This is going to be crushing.

Bishop on June 24, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Second look at funemployment!

Chuck Schick on June 24, 2014 at 8:59 PM

All is proceeding according to plan as America spirals slowly down into the toilet …

clippermiami on June 24, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Yeah, everyone’s going to LOVE it. That’s why they had to delay it until AFTER the mid-terms, or they wouldn’t have a single person left in Congress.

Obama and the Dims are truly despicable. I have never had more disdain for any group of people in my life, as I do for this Regime and the people who put them there.

Meople on June 24, 2014 at 9:10 PM

#bringbackourhealthcare

I really hope that works.

phatfawzi on June 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM

You beat me to the punch Meople! I absolutely DESPISE them!

Robbya on June 24, 2014 at 9:18 PM

I think I’m going to see my insurance go away.

COgirl on June 24, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I think I’m going to see my insurance go away.

COgirl on June 24, 2014 at 9:19 PM

We all will. If the employer mandate kicks in, every employer out there, big or small, will dump their health benefits in a heartbeat.

Then we can expect a nice 300% increase or more, when we’re forced into ObamaGlitch.

All brought to us by the Dims.

This nation is doomed.

Meople on June 24, 2014 at 9:26 PM

#bringbackourhealthcare

I really hope that works.

phatfawzi on June 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM

There’s no way it can work… like that! First, you have to use some caps, like this #BringBackOurHealthcare. Then, you have to put it on a piece of cardboard and hold it up in front of yourself while an expensive highly paid photographer takes a picture of you frowning and holding up the sign.
That’s the only guaranteed way.

ExpressoBold on June 24, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Who’s got that “mark my words Obamacare is gonna be awesome” quote by that dimwitted lib?

307wolverine on June 24, 2014 at 9:31 PM

…and the republicans let them delay!…what idiots!

JugEarsButtHurt on June 24, 2014 at 9:32 PM

hillsoftx

Trust me … they’ll blame greedy employers.

BD57 on June 24, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Mr President…..you ruined my f…ing life ( up till now, because Im gonna keep trying and not let you win by putting me on Welfare).
Im 51 yrs old, I have been very successful in Medical Device Sales and Management for 25 yrs now, winning multiple awards selling game changing / life saving technology. I have personally been in the OR where my products have made the difference 3 times whether that patient got off the table or not….doesn’t count the times I was not there. I have had families hug me ( though I had nothing to do with developing the product ) for having a device that contributed to the cancer free state of their relative.
Mr President….you F…ed the whole US….got rid of the best, most innovative healthcare the world has ever witnessed…..all that just to provide 1 million others to have healthcare…..which they will not be able to afford and the system ends up a total piece of crap-and we go to get treated in 3rd world countries.
Congrats Mr President……you have single handedly stifled medical Device innovation…zero capital is going into device because no person with a brain would invest in a Medical Device which requires 510K, Class II, III designation, because NOBODY knows what in the HELL is going on with Healthcare and where its gonna be in 1,3,5,10 yrs from now. Drs are desperately trying to escape working in the hospital setting……You really F…ed things up because you are so absolutely ignorant of the way Americans go through life each and every day! We do not want handouts, we don’t want welfare, we don’t want disability, The American People want to be self sufficient, to provide for their families, to be able to save money for retirement, kids college, family vacation……
Mr President….I have been gainfully employed 36 out of the past 72 months ( your watch Mr President – It got shitty in Nov 2008 and went deeper into the crapper from there) I’ve done 1099 work every month I was not fully employed but that pays 10% of what I make being fully employed.
I am celebrating July 4th Mr President by going on a road trip, leaving my wife and kids behind so I can look for work. More than likely, I will be sleeping in my car- HOMELESS, YOU SON OF A BITCH!
GET OFF MY BACK and may God have Mercy on your soul!

Privatize It on June 24, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Gosh. If only someone had told us this was going to happen. Oh, wait …

lovesthesun on June 24, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I still say (for the ‘I’ve lost count’ time) abolish the whole system of pay-rolled employees, and make everyone who is currently pay-rolled, their own sub-contractor, to the company they work for.

Force everyone to have to save their own estimated tax liabilities, and to have to write the checks personally … to all levels of governments, by April 15th.

Force everyone … to have to research and shop for their own medical insurance coverage.

listens2glenn on June 24, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Finally, my corporate drone friends will learn what I’ve been yammering about (self employed) for the past year.

And a big, juicy FU to those folks, here it COMES.

Tard on June 24, 2014 at 9:47 PM

If there is ever going to be a second Revolution or War of the DC Aggression it is going to happen in the next 2 years.

ConstantineXI on June 24, 2014 at 9:48 PM

ConstantineXI on June 24, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Darker than 1812-1814 or 1861-1865? Because if so, I picked a he’ll of a time to quit drinking.

Wisdom_of_Homer on June 24, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Well that didn’t come out right.

Wisdom_of_Homer on June 24, 2014 at 9:49 PM

D’oh!

Judge_Dredd on June 24, 2014 at 9:51 PM

If my employer dumps our health insurance, I’ll just put the money I would have paid in premiums into a health savings account.

I’d rather go to prison than sign up for Obamacare.

No way in hell I’ll ever do that.
This government can go eff itself.

DRayRaven on June 24, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Companies will be saving bank paying the fine for not providing insurance and dropping their employer covered health care.

The numbers have been run. There are going to be a lot of disappointed employees who have to fend for themselves and get their own insurance. And not just any insurance. Obamacare insurance.

Ruckus_Tom on June 24, 2014 at 10:00 PM

They VOTED for the SOB! Let ‘em suffer!

GarandFan on June 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Privatize It on June 24, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Sorry to here all that, PI.

With Obamacare, the VA scandal, the IRS criminals, etc.,etc, etc., the political elites don’t realize how close the citizens are to to revolt and rebellion in the streets. The anger is palpable.

MichaelGabriel on June 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM

No worries…ABC/CBS/NBC will bury the story and/or keep saying how great everything is. Look, the stock market! Ooooh, ahhhh!

higgins1991 on June 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM

ConstantineXI on June 24, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Farkin’ A, Bubba.

Dolce Far Niente on June 24, 2014 at 10:41 PM

It’s going to be so much fun.

I sweetest sound on earth is Lefties trying to explain why the Messiah screwed up again.

And why they don’t mind taking on the chin with the rest of us peons.

formwiz on June 24, 2014 at 11:24 PM

This should go well with raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour. I’m sure the combination will bring the economy roaring back.

Remember when Palin was worried about the press discovering her D in economics? Did Obama take a course in economics? Will he tell us his grade if he did?

talkingpoints on June 24, 2014 at 11:58 PM

“…harmed some workers”? It’s going to harm us all!

sadatoni on June 25, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Privatize It on June 24, 2014 at 9:36 PM

My heart goes out to you, I am so sorry for your troubles.

I went thru similar circumstances, except I and three children had to watch my husband leave to go and find work. Eventually, things did get better, but you never forget those times. I’d say I know what you’re going through, but it’s not the same for each person.

In any case, if you’re heading out Arizona way, let me know. You don’t have to be homeless if you come here.

God Bless and you and your family are in my prayers.

kozanne on June 25, 2014 at 8:47 AM

listens2glenn on June 24, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Good ideas. People are insulated from taxes by company withholding. Eliminate that and people will feel the pain and vote accordingly.

However, I would also suggest making taxes a bi-annual event… so that they can also be paid right before election season!

dominigan on June 25, 2014 at 9:28 AM

clippermiami on June 24, 2014 at 9:06 PM

The Obama Administration is that thing plugging the toilet.

stuartm80127 on June 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM