Actor Gary Oldman unloads on liberal tropes in history’s most honest interview

posted at 1:21 pm on June 24, 2014 by Noah Rothman

Gary Oldman is an amazing actor, and he must know it. If only because of the way in which he freely used racial epithets and profanity while unloading on political correctness in Washington and Hollywood.

In an interview with Playboy, the actor defended what many called the racist and homophobic remarks made by actors like Mel Gibson and Alec Baldwin. He asked what would happen to him if he, for example, called House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) a “f***ing useless c**t,” and excoriated modern society for building up figures as heroes which he sees as having no cultural value.

On modern culture, Oldman ripped into helicopter parenting. He said that parents are treating their children as though they are “the center of the f***ing universe.” This, he says, fosters a sense of narcissism in children which leads to “depression and anxiety.”

“Our world has gone to hell,” Oldman added.

“I think we’re up s**t creek without a paddle or a compass,” Oldman said of modern culture. “Reality TV to me is the museum of social decay.”

“Who’s the hero for young people today?” the actor asked. “Some idiot who can’t f***ing sing or write or who’s shaking her ass and twerking in front of 11-year-olds.”

Modern political correctness, which Oldman calls a “f***ing joke,” has contributed to what he sees as the current cultural rot.

The actor defended Gibson who was virtually blacklisted from Hollywood after he made what were considered anti-Semitic remarks.

“He got drunk and said a few things, but we’ve all said those things. We’re all f***ing hypocrites. That’s what I think about it. The policeman who arrested him has never used the word n***** or that f***ing Jew? I’m being brutally honest here. It’s the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy.”

“Mel Gibson is in a town that’s run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he’s actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him,” Oldman added. “But some Jewish guy in his office somewhere hasn’t turned and said, ‘That f***ing kraut’ or ‘f*** those Germans,’ whatever it is?”

Oldman said that the backlash Gibson and Baldwin faced after they made insensitive comments is a reactionary instinct which can be primarily attributed to prominent liberals.

Well, if I called Nancy Pelosi a c**t — and I’ll go one better, a f***ing useless c**t — I can’t really say that. But Bill Maher and Jon Stewart can, and nobody’s going to stop them from working because of it. Bill Maher could call someone a f*g and get away with it. He said to Seth MacFarlane this year, ‘I thought you were going to do the Oscars again. Instead they got a lesbian.’ He can say something like that. Is that more or less offensive than Alec Baldwin saying to someone in the street, ‘You f*g’? I don’t get it.

Oldman described himself as a libertarian. “But you don’t come out and talk about these things, for obvious reasons,” he admitted. On the current administration, and the prospect that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton may succeed President Barack Obama, Oldman was not sanguine.

“What can I say? I feel we need some real leadership, and it’s nowhere in sight,” he observed. “Look at what’s happening right now. John Kerry going off to China to talk about North Korea? What’s that going to do? The ludicrousness of it. What a waste of money. You’re going to go to the puppeteer and say, ‘Can you help me with the puppet?’”

“So this interview has gone very badly,” Oldman conceded. “You have to edit and cut half of what I’ve said, because it’s going to make me sound like a bigot.”

Playboy did not oblige.

“I’m defending all the wrong people. I’m saying Mel’s all right, Alec’s a good guy. So how do I come across?” he asked. “Angry?”

“It’s dishonesty that frustrates me most,” Oldman concluded. “I can’t bear double standards. It gets under my skin more than anything.”

As of this posting, the reaction to Oldman’s exceedingly honest interview has been muted. No doubt, however, every anti-defamation group on earth is drafting their apology demands.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I only go to the Playboy website to look at the pictures.

myiq2xu on June 24, 2014 at 1:42 PM

That’s the part that would get me fired just for going to the site….

dentarthurdent on June 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Uh…sure

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM

So you agree? We shouldn’t have speech codes based on what might be offensive to people? Universities shouldn’t need “trigger warnings” on certain material? Glad we agree on this, libfree. You should take up this fight with some of your friends in the faculty lounge.

I’m pretty sure conservative philosophy says none of us have the right to question where/in whom financiers invest.

Well, you’re pretty sure about a lot of things that are incorrect, so it’s not surprising that you get another thing wrong.

Blacklisting in the McCarthy Era occurred at the threat of federal investigation. Did that happen here?

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM

So that’s your litmus test? Blacklists are okay as long as the government isn’t involved?

So you would have been okay with de facto Jim Crow in the South instead of de jure Jim Crow?

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Hold on, give me 10 minutes. No, I really don’t mean 10 months.

The Origins of Political Correctness

Political Correctness Exposed – Marxism Communism The Frankfurt School

NotCoach on June 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM

The Hollywood cabal is not a free market business and they do not function entirely by giving their customers what they want.

Under that standard, neither is Wall Street. Yet y’all claim that’s the home of the “free market.”

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Which is why Wall Streets posterboy, Eric Cantor gets so much love here at HotAir, right?

Red Widow on June 24, 2014 at 2:17 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Wrong. It’s Neo-Puritanism, just from the left wing instead of the right wing. Nanny state censorship and suppression of speech is equally loathsome, whether it is targeting Henry Miller or Ann Coulter.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM

True. When did this nation stop being puritanical again?

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:11 PM

When did it start ? What constitutes “puritanical”, anyhow ?
Seems like another one of those “in the eye of the beholder” type deals.

listens2glenn on June 24, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I assume you went to college in the 90s? That distinction is outmoded. Nearly all forms of so-called “de facto” segregation where actually backed up by law. For example, we can’t really call northern segregation “de facto” segregation since it was backed up by restrictive real estate covenants and redlining.

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Very good actor, and it’s refreshing to hear someone speak their mind without worrying about some creepy politically correct moron standing in the corner with a toilet brush and whip ready to clean your language and punish you for not thinking the way they want you to.

We need a LOT more people like this, then PC will sink back to the depths from which it oozed. We’ll need a lot more pacifiers for the liberals though, they can’t handle the truth of reality like this.

Diluculo on June 24, 2014 at 2:18 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM

The Pied Piper of Ignorance piping his ignorance for all to see. No conservatives claim that. What’s next, saying our Founding Fathers were Commies?

Here’s a simple question for you. Which of the founding fathers did not subscribe to the communitarian ethos Calhoun deploys to rationalize slavery? *sets sundial*

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

None. They weren’t nascent Commies like John C. Calhoun, and full blown Commies like you. Don’t you think you need to provide some proof for such a ridiculous smear there Mr. Calhoun? You’re a history perfesser, right?

NotCoach on August 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Oh dear God….hold on, give me 10 minutes.

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

NotCoach on June 24, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Pure awesomeness.

Gearbox on June 24, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Well, now the Academy has a good reason to deny this guy an Oscar. They’ve been looking for one for several years.

MWC_RS on June 24, 2014 at 2:19 PM

libfreeordie

Speaking of f***ing useless c**ts.

Midas on June 24, 2014 at 2:20 PM

I might agree with him if he didn’t use such terrible language to try and get his points across.

I’d rather listen to James Woofs or Gary Sinese any day than this guy.

cat_owner on June 24, 2014 at 2:20 PM

I only go to the Playboy website to look at the pictures.

myiq2xu on June 24, 2014 at 1:42 PM

That’s the part that would get me fired just for going to the site….

dentarthurdent on June 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Who do you guys think you’re foolin’?

You go there for the articles and the jokes … admit it.

listens2glenn on June 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Wow. Doughboy believes Hollywood has fair and objective standards when it comes to casting decisions. Wait sorry, when it comes to casting decisions about women! Hahahahahahahaha! I’m sorry I said that the earlier comment was the dumbest thing I’ve read on Hot Air.

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Do any of those actress have trouble finding work? Last time I checked, they’re still being hired with regularity. The key is they have to transition to playing different kinds of roles. Which actresses have been unfairly denied parts because of their age? Cite me the women and the movies, and you can indict all of Hollywood for sexism and ageism. Otherwise, shut the hell up.

Doughboy on June 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM

And by the way, I love that question he asked about who young people regard as their heroes today. I’m sure surveys have been conducted, but I’d be very interested to see the results.

Doughboy on June 24, 2014 at 1:32 PM

FWIW, I visited my college son last weekend, and he showed me some of his girlfriend’s art (she goes to an art college in the same city.) Her final project in her drawing class was a massive portrait of….Gary Oldman, as Sirius Black.

Hard to overestimate the influence of the Harry Potter stories on this generation of kids.

rockmom on June 24, 2014 at 2:22 PM

You can tell when a statement is the truth.

The perfesser shows up to hijack the thread.

kingsjester on June 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

A business where his only value to studios is the ability to attract an audience. If he’s ruined that by saying things people consider abhorrent, isn’t that his fault?

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Again, since Apocalypto made over $80 million for the studio, it’s pretty interesting to say that Mel’s tirade made him box-office cancer.

But you’re right, studios can choose not to finance Mel’s movies are a business decision, even if it’s a crummy one.

What was your take on the Redskins name/Indians mascot controversy? Those are business decisions too, correct? So it should be a free market decision to punish Dan Snyder/Larry Dolan if people choose to do so.

It is amazing how strongly some Americans cling to their right to use racially derogative terms and mascots to represent sports teams. Its not a constitutional right to evoke racist colonial violence in a team name…

libfreeordie on May 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Hmm? But it’s a “business decision,” libfree. If a sports team chooses to use a name that some people don’t like, that’s a speech act. Deal.

What people forget about free speech is that it isn’t a one way speech. Mel Gibson said what he said, and the rest of the world is allowed to use their speech in response. They did.

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 1:50 PM

So the rest of the world is allowed to use their speech against Dan Snyder. But that’s not what they’re doing, is it? They’re using the government to try and force a name change.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Wait, are people concerned that Mel Gibson has like, suffered or something? Isn’t he still a millionaire movie star who gets to do pretty much whatever he wants?

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Completely missing the point.

Oldman was only speaking of blatant double standards in Hollywood and the media. As in, certain people can say whatever they want without repercussions or fear of backlash because they’re liberal and/or beloved by the current pop culture in society.

Don’t forget the Kardashians and all the black athletes that are their bastard’s baby daddies. They can’t point out Africa on a map but know all the (scripted) twists and turns in the lives of a vile family whose late father defended OJ Simpson.

Happy Nomad on June 24, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Yep, sadly. It is willful, self-inflicted ignorance and America is harmed because of it.

Aizen on June 24, 2014 at 2:24 PM

True. When did this nation stop being puritanical again?

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:11 PM

When did it start ?
listens2glenn on June 24, 2014 at 2:17 PM

*blink* I’ve got nothing…

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Red Widow on June 24, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Wait, so you’re admitting that financiers distribute capital based on whim, venality and their immediate self interest rather than the rationality of a free market? Welcome to Marxism Red Widow (and everyone who unwittngly fell into that trap)  Your name is apt. Thread won.

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Mel Gibson got blacklisted, and he was at one time considered one of his generations best actors, just saying. The only people who can get away with this crap are Directors/producers who put it into their movies so they can claim its art. Tarantino is an expert at that.

Baldwin of course has sucked as an actor since Red October so no loss, and when Gibson had his rant he was also in decline. Oldman isn’t as far as I know.

MWC_RS on June 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM

No, you’re right, when studios want a serious dramatic role they don’t turn to Judi Dench, they turn to Kate Upton.

Who is talking abou “fair and objective standards”? Judging acting in any respect is purely subjective. But to say that studios only cast eye candy and don’t cast anyone considered a “good” actor/actress is just ridiculous.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I see the resident race-baiter is here to tap dance for us again.

CurtZHP on June 24, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Your belief that the 8 or 9 older women who are consistently cast in Hollywood roles represent the entirety of the potential talent pool is baffling.

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:26 PM

And keep in mind that Judi Dench keeps getting roles despite being legally blind at this point in her life. Even those sexist, ageist pigs in Hollywood will keep giving blind actresses roles if they deliver the goods.

BTW, another older actress who’s never had trouble finding work is Kathy Bates. Hell, she didn’t even achieve success(Misery) until she was already in her early 40′s.

Doughboy on June 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Wait, so you’re admitting that financiers distribute capital based on whim, venality and their immediate self interest rather than the rationality of a free market? Welcome to Marxism Red Widow (and everyone who unwittngly fell into that trap) Your name is apt. Thread won.

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I don’t believe anyone asked for an encore of ignorance.

(and everyone who unwittngly fell into that trap)

Yeah, if the trap is not understanding what conservatism and free markets are I guess you trapped yourself. Is Comrade Dumb A$$ too much of a compliment I wonder?

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

NotCoach on August 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Oh dear God….hold on, give me 10 minutes.

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

NotCoach on June 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Who do you guys think you’re foolin’?
You go there for the articles and the jokes … admit it.

listens2glenn on June 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM

He11 – I can be honest about it. Many years ago when I had a subscription, I bought it for the pictures, cartoons and jokes. The articles were boring – and far too left, which is why I eventually quit buying it. Besides, now there are much better web sites out there….;) ;) ;)

But if I went to that web site, or any web site like it, from work, I would be fired immediately.

dentarthurdent on June 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Seriously, have you met anybody in your entire life that was a capitalist?

Nobody thinks the free market is devoid of people acting in self interest. “Free Market as God” is the most ignorant strawman that the progressives use as a hatchet against the American system. The system works because selfish actions, in the aggregate, can have a net positive effect. People innovate to increase their profit margin, and innovation progresses us as a society.

Your expectation that capitalism be perfect would require everyone to be a perfect capitalist, and unfortunately, contra the hastag, we’re not all #BornPerfect.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Fiddle away

Schadenfreude on June 24, 2014 at 2:30 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM

It’s not 8 or 9 actresses. There are tons of them consistently getting work. Melissa Leo is another one. She won an Oscar a few years ago for The Fighter and consistently turns in solid performances(Prisoners last year being the latest example).

I’ll ask again. Which actresses have been denied roles due to their age? You have yet to name one.

Doughboy on June 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Always enjoyed your work, Mr. Oldman. Who could forget Mr. ZORG? Anyway, I thought you had a few more good films left in you, so I’m surprised at your decision to retire now. Or maybe you’ll be content with continuing the Mansquito franchise?

ROCnPhilly on June 24, 2014 at 2:32 PM

What Gibson said about Jews being responsible for all the evils of the world was antisemitic, but you can find a bunch of people in our State Dept. who hold similarly ugly views. Yet Gibson was just mouthing off to a cop who pulled him over for driving under the influence, while Obama administration officials inform our foreign policy. I think Gibson truly felt remorse for his behavior, while we still live under the nightmare of the black-hearted progs running our government. One situation is infinitely more tolerable.

Alec Baldwin oth was so vicious in his attacks against those with whom he disagreed politically that it was delicious schadenfreude to see him hoisted on his own petard. If he hadn’t been, we’d have had to endure his inevitable run for political office as a Democrat. So, screw him.

But it was nice of Oldman to stick up for both of them. He is an undeniably talented actor, and I think he was robbed of an Oscar for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

The Academy is very silly in how they give out awards, and they are more prejudiced than anyone. The year Oldman was passed over, The Artist swept all categories, because Hollywood loves to celebrate themselves, either through black and white musicals about filmmaking that reference its Golden Age, or through Benetton-ad diverse selfies of the the audience that “break” Twitter.

I once attended a party with people who vote in the Academy. I asked them why There Will Be Blood was passed over for awards, when this was a breakout director enjoying a rare combination of critical and commercial success. An agent tartly replied, “He still has a career, and he can get the best talent to work with him. Boogie Nights was the best he’ll ever do, because he’s just a dumb kid from the Valley. That was all he knows.” Someone objected, “But he adapted Upton Sinclair!”

That same night, everyone snickered that Milla Jovovich presented an award. She could easily have had Matthew McCauneghey’s career. In fact, while he languished in cringeworthy rom coms, she was the muse of one of France’s most commercially successful directors. They both got their start in Richard Linklater’s Dazed and Confused. So, the agent, who had an opinion on everything said, “She is there for the foreign crowds.” I added, “Even more so, for the gamers. Resident Evil didn’t make so much as a film than as a video game franchise.”

Over 35 million copies sold, and the returns on the films are huge. Look how many apocalypse films Hollywood has put out lately. Anyway, cast her as a prostitute or serial killer, she’ll get an award.

ezspirit on June 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM

How many great actresses do you expect to exist at any one time, libfree? Show me the person with Meryl Streep’s talent who is wallowing in community theater and film student movies because of their appearance.

Attractive people succeed in Hollywood???? Holy ****, you don’t say!

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I used to really like Gary Oldman, but he’s overstepped his bounds.

If the handful of closeted liberal actors living in Hollywood can manage to keep their political views to themselves, he needs to learn to do the same.

Frank Lib on June 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Good thing we tested that by passing massive tax cuts under Reagan, stamping the life out of labor from Reagan to Clinton and passing a massive deregulation of the financial sector under Clinton. I assume you believe the steady decline in middle class wages from Reagan to present is that “net positive?” Or rather, it’s about the phrasing you chose? That it “can” have a net positive effect. A rhetorical move which means capitalism never has to be accountable when selfish behavior in the aggregate produces catastrophe for a citizenry.

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM

The perfesser shows up to hijack the thread.

kingsjester on June 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Lolz! Did it get to the “Bye Girl” routine yet? I have a suggestion for it, for some new material for its routine. “Girl I knows you talking to my right hand, cause my other one done left!” Try that out for a change little one.

Bmore on June 24, 2014 at 2:35 PM

There are those who scoff at the schoolboy, calling him frivolous and
shallow, yet it was the schoolboy who said ‘Faith is believing what you know ain’t so’. – Mark Twain

VorDaj on June 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM

My reaction is the opposite of Frank Lib. I like Gary Oldman even more now.

And, yes, he’s an amazing actor.

WannabeAnglican on June 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Oldman as Dracula laughing. Or Oldman after calling Nancy Pelosi a “—— worthless ——”.

Marcus on June 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM

The perfesser shows up to hijack the thread.

kingsjester on June 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

It is impossible to highjack a thread if other posters don’t respond.

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM

You mean labor returning to a worth based value (as opposed to having an artificial value)? Hell to the yes. Now if only we could axe that minimum wage.

nobar on June 24, 2014 at 2:38 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Who claims that?

You are so ignorant.

Missy on June 24, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I see this is the Troll Bait Thread Of The Day.

TarheelBen on June 24, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Who do you guys think you’re foolin’?

You go there for the articles and the jokes … admit it.

listens2glenn on June 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM

dentarthurdent on June 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM

You quit buying it ? . . . . . Well … it’s thanks to former customers like you that “Hef’” is gonna hafta sell the yacht, and the Mansion, shortly.

Also, the word “better” as you used it above is in the eye of the beholder. But, as long as you only view it at home, it’s good.

listens2glenn on June 24, 2014 at 2:39 PM

libfreeordie

Is this guy a staff member or something? Because it seems like they’ve put up with his crap for years and banned plenty of other people for 1/10th as much.

TaraMaclay on June 24, 2014 at 2:40 PM

The assessment of labor’s value is little more than “how much money do I want to make this year.” That desire is also “artificial” but you can’t grasp that…

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:40 PM

You can tell when a statement is the truth.

The perfesser shows up to hijack the thread.

kingsjester on June 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Or tries mightily to do so.

Oldman is correct. They are hypocrites.

dogsoldier on June 24, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I’m sorry – you just linked to the Playboy website via HotAir?

Clean it up.

DrewbieDoo on June 24, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Playboy’s interviews are famous, and established as legitimate and sometimes even newsworthy, and that’s been common pop culture knowledge for decades.

They’ve interviewed many cultural figures like MLK Jr, Miles Davis, Steve Jobs, John and Yoko (blech on Yoko), Sinatra, Ayn Rand, etc. And MANY more.

Don’t like the nude pics? Skip ‘em and read the articles and interviews. Most of the time they’re pretty good reading.

Good Lt on June 24, 2014 at 2:41 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Seriously, have you met anybody in your entire life that was a capitalist?

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Free market capitalism works when it IS about self interest – people investing in companies that they believe will do well and give them a good return on their investment.
What we have now is not really free market, since we have the government pumping out free money to keep the stock market up, playing crony capitalism with companies (most especially green energy) that cannot be successful on their own, and punishing successful (or what would be successful) companies with the highest tax rates and regulatory burden in the world.
What we have now is NOT free market capitalism.

dentarthurdent on June 24, 2014 at 2:42 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Labor is more of a risk-associated cost than an “artificial” cost. But you can’t grasp that. After all, if you can risk more to make more, then it follows that you can pay more if the risk pays off. Risk assessment is a careful process, hardly artificial.

nobar on June 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM

TaraMaclay on June 24, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Things I don’t do:

1. Attempt to post other people’s identity.
2. Engage in racial/gendered or sexual slurs.
3. Target and harass individual posters
4. Post inflammatory videos or images that may get the site a bad name.
5. Post cuss words without the proper ***

Those are the things people get banned for. Sarcastically articulating a contrary opinion doesn’t get your banned around here. Sorry.

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Ah, yes, the regulation talking point. Thank God that Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd-Frank fixed all of that!

How many of the things that you enjoy on a daily basis were produced by capitalism, libfree? We probably wouldn’t be having this discussion in a country with central planning. The growth from the ARPANet to today’s internet was fueled by a lot of people with profit motives to create some incredible things.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:44 PM

listens2glenn on June 24, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Of course – hence the multiple winks…
And most definitely not at work.

dentarthurdent on June 24, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I don’t know this guy’s politics -and frankly, I’d prefer not to- but I’ve always liked his work. Really versatile and believable in everything I’ve seen him in. Just an outstanding actor.

BKeyser on June 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Yes Plato, everything is artificial. Your sophistry is amusing but not really germane to this discussion. :)

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Remember when we were all accused to being cowards for not being willing to have frank discussions about race?

It is not cowardice, but prudence. Today’s American society does not tolerate frank discussions on race, when the discussion fails to stay within the bounds of political correctness defined by the popular culture.

There is very little benefit, and huge cost, when the opinions expressed are deemed non-normative. Oldman will soon pay the price.

s1im on June 24, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Ah, yes, the regulation talking point. use of historical example to poke holes in your abstract conception of capitalism.

Fixed that for you

Thank God that Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd-Frank fixed all of that!

Ah yes, attacking the attempt at a solution to the havoc wreacked by the free market, rather than identifying how greed produces speculative bubbles that, inevitably, burst.

What we can’t do is discuss the counterfactual.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:44 PM

No one said capitalism was pure evil. The point is that history has proven, again and again, that capitalism gradually rigs the game in favor of the finance class. As has happened in the United States. It’s gotten so bad that even the American right wing is attacking the Chamber of Commerce for rigging the game in electoral politics. It’s cute to see conservatives figure out what leftists have been saying for decades.

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Libfree, any response here:

libfreeordie on May 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Wouldn’t want people to think you were a hypocrite, after all. ;)

Just to be sure I get this straight:

An actor that some people don’t like: Studios are free to effetively blacklist him. That’s a “business decision” and a market reaction to his speech. Businesses are free to not associate with someone who could hurt the bottom line because of their beliefs.

A team name that some people don’t like: Not free speech. Should be barred by government action. Can’t be handled by the market.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:51 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:40 PM

What you can’t seem to grasp is, the true value of labor is “what am I willing to pay you to do a certain job”. That’s it. That’s all there should be to it. If you want more than I’m willing to pay, I won’t hire you, and you’re free to go find someone else who will pay you more; and eventually you will find out what the true value of your labor is.

dentarthurdent on June 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Right, which is why the left uses it to attack anyone who doesn’t hold their views. It’s so popular people censor themselves for fear of being attacked by any of the various victim group attack dogs.

Businesses love it because they love hearing from fanatical liberals threatening to destroy their company if they don’t fire so and so, grovel before the offended victim group and give them tons of money.

You are really nuts. If you want to reenter reality I’ll pay for your deprogramming.

darwin on June 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Both sides identify the problem, but your side doesn’t have any constructive solutions. Just because Marxist-Progressives and fiscal conservatives have a common enemy (so-called “crony capitalism”) doesn’t mean we have the same endgame in mind.

OWS identified the same problem, but what was their solution? Puerile nonsense like “all money out of politics.” That’s not a rational solution to a very real problem of elections being heavily tilted towards big spenders.

As for the counter-factual, sure, you can’t say what would have happened in another world, but what non-capitalist countries have matched the innovation of places like the US, Japan, and even a small country like Israel (which is a major player in telecom)?

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:58 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Weren’t you talking about not discussing the counterfactual?

The stimulus didn’t work because it wasn’t big enough. Dodd-Frank didn’t work because it wasn’t the right solution. Socialism hasn’t worked because the right people weren’t in charge.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Jennifer Rubin claims Jews don’t run Hollywood. Another lie from the world’s most despicable (and ugliest)woman.

Jennifer – what do Sumner Redstone (CEO of Viacom/CBS), Jeff Zucker (CNN) and Bob Iger (Disney/ABC) all have in common? Hint: they are not members of St. Patrick’s Catholic Church.

Don’t you just hate it when facts are bigoted?

bw222 on June 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM

The “finance class”, whatever the hell that is isn’t capitalism. In fact, capitalism is nothing more than free people engaging in commerce. It isn’t a system per se.

What you’re talking about is people colluding with government for favors that gives them an edge over others. That’s called corruption and the democrats are pictured in the dictionary next to the definition.

darwin on June 24, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Oldman 2016

Starnick on June 24, 2014 at 3:02 PM

libfreeordie on May 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

For goodness sake just STFU.

jawkneemusic on June 24, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Don’t you just hate it when facts are bigoted?

bw222 on June 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Does it really matter that they’re all Jewish, though?

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 3:04 PM

No. It’s not. Political correctness is merely the result of a popular shift towards multiculturalism and integrationism in American society. It’s a direct byproduct of the anti-Jim Crow movement, which was always as much about interpersonal interaction as it was about the law. Frankly, the greatest arbiters of “political correctness” are leaders in the *private sector* who have instituted rules for business conduct.

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Ha ha ha.

Oh, wait, you mean that?

Ha ha ha.

“multiculturalism” and “integrationism” or euphemisms the left likes to use to be exclusionary and enforce speech codes.

And I wonder why the “private sector” has instituted PC rules for conduct? Maybe the threat of being sued under laws preferred by lefties? Maybe threat of the various loud-mouthed lefty activist groups going after them?

gwelf on June 24, 2014 at 3:08 PM

libfreeorgan…high jacking a thread…what a surprise.

JugEarsButtHurt on June 24, 2014 at 3:10 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Rigs the game by institutionalizing advantages via governmental interference. In other words by moving it away from a capitalist, free market system.

This isn’t something capitalists deny – it’s human nature. And capitalism is the least worst system we have. Every other system is much much worse. But lefties never admit all the various problems with marxist/socialist solutions – they create more inequality than even crony “capitalism”, they create more advantage for the elite class than crony “capitalism”.

History has shown this time and time again.

gwelf on June 24, 2014 at 3:11 PM

libfreeordie on May 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Racist colonial violence? You’re talking about the vikings right?

gwelf on June 24, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I think you’ve successfully driven fascistordie from the thread.

gwelf on June 24, 2014 at 3:13 PM

gwelf on June 24, 2014 at 3:08 PM

It’s okay for speech codes to be instituted by companies as a response to potential litigation, since that’s part of the “free market.” Companies are acting out of self-interest to avoid potential punitive action from the state.

It wasn’t okay for the Hollywood 10 to be blacklisted by movie studios as a response to a potential investigation, since companies were acting out of self-interest to avoid potential punitive action from the state.

Wait, this is confusing…do you get a decoder ring when you sign up as a progressive activist?

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 3:13 PM

“Dickishness” (is that a word?)

listens2glenn on June 24, 2014 at 1:44 PM

It is now.

verbaluce on June 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Mel Gibson is somehow a racist, homophobic anti-Semite whose closest friends include Danny Glover, Jodie Foster and Robert Downey Jr.

Impressive.

TaraMaclay on June 24, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Wouldn’t surprise me if Mel Gibson is the father of Jodi Foster’s two sons. That would be too delicious.

monalisa on June 24, 2014 at 3:18 PM

libfreeordie on May 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

All those poor, poor non-white people!

Thank God in Heaven that they have YOU to hold them, kiss them, coddle them, and croon to them that everything will be all right.

Because otherwise hearing certain words or seeing certain sights would KILL them.

They’d DIE, and that would be wrong.

A Chair of Some Kind on June 24, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Libfree is the perfect example of lefty disconnection from history.

The worst things done to blacks and gays have been done via government policy and government action.

But it’s non-stop “capitalism fails The People”.

What a waste of an “education”.

gwelf on June 24, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 3:13 PM

The decoder ring works as follows:

Was a group of people targeted by the government that I like?

Yes –> State action bad, and really just a manifestation of white privilege and patriarchy and “capitalism”.

No –> State action good

gwelf on June 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Well thats nice of Mr Oldman to come out now that Obama is tanking and the Dems are spinning but it would have meant more in 2012. Now THAT would have shown courage and perhaps persuaded a few of the young uns but now? Meh

neyney on June 24, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Remember, libfree said this earlier:

You don’t have a right to not be offended.

Uh…sure

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM

“Uh…sure.” Because what I said was so ludicrous, libfree didn’t even know what I was talking about. Who would make insane demands about speech restrictions like that??

libfreeordie on May 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Oh, right…libfree would. My bad.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 24, 2014 at 3:28 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM

But it is better than communism and other hardcore socialist societies. Mostly because you guys do not accept individual freedoms, but instead believe in groups and collectives. So history has shown that hardcore socialism and communism rigs the game for the elite intellectuals from favored institutions, such as Harvard in the case of America. You, libfreeordie, for example are a member of a privileged class, a sort of modern aristocracy, where the rule of few outweighs the rule of the many.

Even worse the system of capitalism we now have in this country is basically “crony capitalism” which protects the wealth and power of a few, mostly people who come from the same institutions as yourself. It is not free market capitalism. The Bushes, Clintons, and most politicians in America come from this institutional aristocratic class. They set the laws and government bureaucracy in ways the limit people who attempt to rise outside of that protected class from those institutions.

Someone like a Reagan or Lincoln or Andrew Jackson were seen as enemies of that class throughout American history because they did not go to the elite preparatory institutions that you have attended. Therefore in the minds of the elite (like yourself), mostly from the Northeast, they were seen as unworthy of rule.

William Eaton on June 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Writes fascistordie from his sinecure in academia where money is transferred from poorer students and tax payers to his bank account.

And leftists haven’t been saying this for decades – they just don’t like the state preferring groups they don’t like but have argued for decades that the state should favor certain groups that they do like. Your comments are very disingenuous – we’re unenlightened rubes because supposedly we’ve finally seen that the state colludes with businesses as corruption but you want us to buy on to the idea of redistribution for social justice, a practice just as if not more corrupting. You favor fascism but just quibble about the particular form and contours of the regime.

And conservatives have decried this sort of favoritism no matter who it benefits for a long time.

Your inaccurate understanding of history stopped being cute a long time ago.

gwelf on June 24, 2014 at 3:43 PM

libfreeordie on May 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

In fact this quote is a good example of your belief in your superiority over others. You are the gatekeeper, granted to you by your class, of what is right and wrong.

This also shows how you wish to change the constitution to fit your needs. Many of the institutional aristocratic class, such as yourself, have always hated the Bill of Rights. It constrains the power of your class. If you could do away with it, or to weaken it, than all the better. So thus the strategy of “political correctness” to weaken the will of people to defend their rights. Political Correctness is the classic guilt trip, same that religions use to control people to give a class of people control. In the case of religions it is the priestly class, in yours it is the institution’s name on your degree.

Same with gun control and environmentalism. In the case of environmentalism, a once legitimate field of inquiry has now been seized by your class as a way to deprive people of their freedoms. You can now restrict their movement and weaken property rights, both of which are constraints on the power your class wants exclusively for yourselves.

William Eaton on June 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM

…if we weren’t living in a world where George Clooney and Matt Damon are already treated as Absolute Moral Authorities.

TaraMaclay

Best comment of the day

Ms. Contrarian Scientist on June 24, 2014 at 3:49 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Government tends toward evil, abusing the powers granted in order to gain more power. History has proven again and again, that government rigs the game in favor of the governing class, and their cronies. As has happened again in the United States.

It’s cute to see leftists try to blame capitalism for the evils that government does in trying to regulate freedom in order to consolidate its power.

s1im on June 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Your inaccurate understanding of history stopped being cute a long time ago.

gwelf on June 24, 2014 at 3:43 PM

And scene.

s1im on June 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM

And that’s a wrap.

Girl, bye.

HumpBot Salvation on June 24, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Things I don’t do:

1. Attempt to post other people’s identity.
2. Engage in racial/gendered or sexual slurs.
3. Target and harass individual posters
4. Post inflammatory videos or images that may get the site a bad name.
5. Post cuss words without the proper ***

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM

So tired of Schadenfreude making subtle allusions and hints to my identity, where I live and where I work. Get over yourself. I’m not interested in your or your personal life or your work life, quit being so damned interested in mine. You literally had to google stalk to me to discover I moved across the country, you’re the lowest form of internet pond scum. Eat a freshly cleaned scrotum.

libfreeordie on April 22, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Shaniquah, bye.

slickwillie2001 on June 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Things I do and don’t do:

1. Attempt to post other people’s identity.
2. Engage in racial/gendered or sexual slurs.
3. Target and harass individual posters
4. Post inflammatory videos or images that may get the site a bad name.
5. Post cuss words without the proper ***

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Lolz!!! Did it say Goodbye girl yet?

Bmore on June 24, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Or is it Girl Goodbye? Funny either way coming from it.

Bmore on June 24, 2014 at 4:50 PM

When he goes off, he goes off on…..

EVERYBODY!!!!!!!

Another Drew on June 24, 2014 at 4:50 PM

libfreeordie on May 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Actually, that’s exactly what the first amendment guarantees. Don’t like it? Amend the constitution to repeal the first amendment. Good luck, and fat chance.

Of course, you’re free to not buy a Redskins ticket or watch a game on tv.

The interesting thing is, if I believed the same way you did, I would be demanding that the govt force you to buy that ticket or watch that game on tv because I believe they can call themselves whatever they want, regardless of your whining.

Which is exactly the same thing as you demanding that the govt force them to call themselves something other than Redskins.

But this simple explanation is so far above your tiny intellect, you’d miss it with the Hubble telescope.

Crybaby.

runawayyyy on June 24, 2014 at 4:52 PM

libfreeordie has once thrown himself down in the center of the room and engaged in a tirade that is tantamount to a tantrum, and, once again, the entire exercise is geared toward garnering personal attention.

The vast majority of his posts on this thread have nothing to do with the Oldman interview itself, and even less to do with the content of the interview, and everything to do with posturing, complaining, and demanding personal attention.

It’s ironic that he’s become an anachronism and, being caught up in vehemence by rote, fails to recognize that society has moved beyond him.

That he congratulates himself on being clever enough to avoid being banned from this site is almost touching. It would be kinder to ban him from this site than to allow him to continue to be an example of extremism of days gone by, serving as counterpoint to modern society.

There’s almost an air of nostalgia about his posts, like older men gathered in the park to play checkers all afternoon and talk about ‘the old days’.

thatsafactjack on June 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Who cares what some dumb Hollywood actor says, right guys? He’s not even American so his view is double invalid.

CoffeeMan on June 24, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Eat a freshly cleaned scrotum.

libfreeordie on April 22, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Why is gay-bashing ALWAYS the go-insult of leftists?

It’s almost as though their vaunted, self-congratulatory tolerance is just an act, and deep down they feel nothing but contempt and disgust for gays.

Or am I hallucinating?

A Chair of Some Kind on June 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Thank you Mr. Oldman, you made a valid point: look at how many HA commenters reacted in just the way you predicted “they” would.

Both the holier than thou crowd and the usual progressive suspects got offended by your interview.

Thanks for flushing them out.

Sherman1864 on June 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM

go-insult = go to insult

A Chair of Some Kind on June 24, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Things I do and don’t do:

1. Attempt to post other people’s identity.
2. Engage in racial/gendered or sexual slurs.
3. Target and harass individual posters
4. Post inflammatory videos or images that may get the site a bad name.
5. Post cuss words without the proper ***

libfreeordie on June 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I think that reads better. Slave?

Bmore on June 24, 2014 at 5:05 PM

libfreeordie on May 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Amen brother:

Jay-Z: “If you having girl problems, I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems and one of them is the bad publicity I received after I refused to let any white people into my Brits after-party this year.”

Isn’t this one of obama’s posse?

hawkdriver on June 24, 2014 at 5:09 PM

libfreeordie on May 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

But it is a constitutional natural right for me to say whatever the bloody blue hell I want to without fear of government intervention. So important and inalienable a right, in fact, that the constitution deigns to recognize it as such in the first amendment!

gryphon202 on June 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Has Beyoncé been in Playboy yet? If not, it’s only a matter of time, and remember — she’s the soft porn star that Obama wants his girls to grow up and emulate.

SMH