Actor Gary Oldman unloads on liberal tropes in history’s most honest interview

posted at 1:21 pm on June 24, 2014 by Noah Rothman

Gary Oldman is an amazing actor, and he must know it. If only because of the way in which he freely used racial epithets and profanity while unloading on political correctness in Washington and Hollywood.

In an interview with Playboy, the actor defended what many called the racist and homophobic remarks made by actors like Mel Gibson and Alec Baldwin. He asked what would happen to him if he, for example, called House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) a “f***ing useless c**t,” and excoriated modern society for building up figures as heroes which he sees as having no cultural value.

On modern culture, Oldman ripped into helicopter parenting. He said that parents are treating their children as though they are “the center of the f***ing universe.” This, he says, fosters a sense of narcissism in children which leads to “depression and anxiety.”

“Our world has gone to hell,” Oldman added.

“I think we’re up s**t creek without a paddle or a compass,” Oldman said of modern culture. “Reality TV to me is the museum of social decay.”

“Who’s the hero for young people today?” the actor asked. “Some idiot who can’t f***ing sing or write or who’s shaking her ass and twerking in front of 11-year-olds.”

Modern political correctness, which Oldman calls a “f***ing joke,” has contributed to what he sees as the current cultural rot.

The actor defended Gibson who was virtually blacklisted from Hollywood after he made what were considered anti-Semitic remarks.

“He got drunk and said a few things, but we’ve all said those things. We’re all f***ing hypocrites. That’s what I think about it. The policeman who arrested him has never used the word n***** or that f***ing Jew? I’m being brutally honest here. It’s the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy.”

“Mel Gibson is in a town that’s run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he’s actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him,” Oldman added. “But some Jewish guy in his office somewhere hasn’t turned and said, ‘That f***ing kraut’ or ‘f*** those Germans,’ whatever it is?”

Oldman said that the backlash Gibson and Baldwin faced after they made insensitive comments is a reactionary instinct which can be primarily attributed to prominent liberals.

Well, if I called Nancy Pelosi a c**t — and I’ll go one better, a f***ing useless c**t — I can’t really say that. But Bill Maher and Jon Stewart can, and nobody’s going to stop them from working because of it. Bill Maher could call someone a f*g and get away with it. He said to Seth MacFarlane this year, ‘I thought you were going to do the Oscars again. Instead they got a lesbian.’ He can say something like that. Is that more or less offensive than Alec Baldwin saying to someone in the street, ‘You f*g’? I don’t get it.

Oldman described himself as a libertarian. “But you don’t come out and talk about these things, for obvious reasons,” he admitted. On the current administration, and the prospect that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton may succeed President Barack Obama, Oldman was not sanguine.

“What can I say? I feel we need some real leadership, and it’s nowhere in sight,” he observed. “Look at what’s happening right now. John Kerry going off to China to talk about North Korea? What’s that going to do? The ludicrousness of it. What a waste of money. You’re going to go to the puppeteer and say, ‘Can you help me with the puppet?’”

“So this interview has gone very badly,” Oldman conceded. “You have to edit and cut half of what I’ve said, because it’s going to make me sound like a bigot.”

Playboy did not oblige.

“I’m defending all the wrong people. I’m saying Mel’s all right, Alec’s a good guy. So how do I come across?” he asked. “Angry?”

“It’s dishonesty that frustrates me most,” Oldman concluded. “I can’t bear double standards. It gets under my skin more than anything.”

As of this posting, the reaction to Oldman’s exceedingly honest interview has been muted. No doubt, however, every anti-defamation group on earth is drafting their apology demands.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

But it is a natural right for me to say whatever the bloody blue hell I want to without fear of government intervention. So important and inalienable a right, in fact, that the constitution deigns to recognize it as such in the first amendment!

gryphon202 on June 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM

The First Amendment only applies to government action. I can’t tell if you and libfreeordie understand that. So, for instance, you have no free speech right at work.

jim56 on June 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Meow, Playboy?

Bmore on June 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Look the once banned now returned one. How special.

Bmore on June 24, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Good for Oldman.

Maybe this is the beginning of a trend.

formwiz on June 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM

LIBFREE why don’t you answer NONcoach for crying out loud. This goes back to last year in August. You too arrogant to answer and you requested 10 minutes but its been 10 months please answer ok??

garydt on June 24, 2014 at 5:52 PM

If this putz whom I’ve scarcely heard of can’t tell the difference between a Jew who hates or disparages Germans and a German who hates or disparages Jews, hes not just an effing asshöle, he’s a monumental idiot. The idea of anyone like that lamenting the decline of civilization is a bad joke.

But actors since at least John Wilkes Booth have often confused their own egos with their brains.

As for Gibson, name me a Jew (drunk or otherwise) who ever said the Scots start all the wars.

Seth Halpern on June 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Who cares what some dumb Hollywood actor says, right guys? He’s not even American so his view is double invalid.

CoffeeMan on June 24, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Adouchebagsayswhat?

ezspirit on June 24, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Seth Halpern on June 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Hear hear.

ebrawer on June 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Bingo.

ddrintn on June 24, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I doubt it. When you GET IN THEIR FACE that much, they have a tendency to quietly walk away.

GarandFan on June 24, 2014 at 6:14 PM

He’s intentionally painted a target on his back, let’s see what happens to him. Maybe they will force him to sell all of his belongings like they did with Sterling. The Government is out of control.

xmanvietnam on June 24, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Eat a freshly cleaned scrotum.

libfreeordie on April 22, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Why is gay-bashing ALWAYS the go-insult of leftists?

It’s almost as though their vaunted, self-congratulatory tolerance is just an act, and deep down they feel nothing but contempt and disgust for gays.

Or am I hallucinating?

A Chair of Some Kind on June 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM

You might not know it Chair, but libby likes that particular dish, served nice and hot, clean or not.

arnold ziffel on June 24, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Late to the party.

Is this the dude from Band of Brothers?

I loved that series.

wolly4321 on June 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Nope,, wrong guy.

This guy played oswald in stones JFK

wolly4321 on June 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM

And, that includes – hold onto your hat – 63% of Democrats!

Resist We Much on June 24, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Using this kind of language has nothing to do with resisting political correctness, which is a huge problem, but simply shows Mr. Oldham to be a crude vulgarian. That label certainly fits Maher as well.

GreenBlade on June 24, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Poll: 76% of Americans Believe That The IRS ‘DELIBERATELY DESTROYED’ Lois Lerner’s Emails And, that includes –hold onto your hat –63% of Democrats! Resist We Much on June 24, 2014 at 7:05 PM

The timeline is pretty damning. Along with the testimony thus far.

wolly4321 on June 24, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I have always been a big fan of Oldman, his roles are always about the character and never about him. One of the most talented and lesser known man in Hollywood, in my opinion…glad to hear he is not a bat$hit crazy liberal like most of the generic actors out there.

Alinsky on June 24, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Resist We Much on June 24, 2014 at 7:05 PM

MSM /crickets chirping

Unless the media starts doing it’s proper job, even with polls like this, the guilty will skate free.

Back on topic – appreciate the guys viewpoints and opinions. It appears he’s not as much of an ideologue as the usual ‘Hollywood’ ‘star’, and can at least begin to make a cogent and valid argument.

The latter capability is far beyond the usual ‘star’ and HA troll.

Athos on June 24, 2014 at 7:37 PM

GreenBlade on June 24, 2014 at 7:06 PM

..he may indeed be but how many of us are so frustrated that we would not have uttered the same epithets when speaking of THE PANTLOAD POTUS and his cronies and fellow liberals.

At this point, I am done with anything spineless.

The War Planner on June 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I used to really like Gary Oldman, but he’s overstepped his bounds.

If the handful of closeted liberal actors living in Hollywood can manage to keep their political views to themselves, he needs to learn to do the same.

Frank Lib on June 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I can’t think of many liberal actors who keep their political views to themselves. If they’re going to lecture us, more power to Oldman for giving his opinions, knowing the heat he would take.

mypalfish on June 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

“Who’s the hero for young people today?” the actor asked. “

Obama.

A Hollywood type that is against “Word Burning”? Shouldn’t that be the norm? Liberalism is dead.

CW on June 24, 2014 at 7:51 PM

racist

libfreeordie on May 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

CW on June 24, 2014 at 7:57 PM

f’n love this :) honesty from anyone associated with hollywood is refreshing

c4 on June 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM

The War Planner on June 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

You got that just right.

Sherman1864 on June 24, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Seth Halpern on June 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Hear hear.

ebrawer on June 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I absolutely agree with you. He apologized though for that part of the interview re: Jews (not for the rest, that IMO was right about). He sounds sincere, not the Mel Gibson faux apology, also judging by the style, it seems that he wrote it, and not his agent/PR people. Here, you can read his apology to the Jewish people for that comment.

jimver on June 24, 2014 at 11:21 PM

It’s refreshing to discover that an actor I consider truly masterful at his craft through intellect and perception, is also thoughtful, politically sensible, and possessed of a strong sense of integrity. Never a fan of gratuitous profanity, I nevertheless wholeheartedly endorse Oldman’s points as on the nose, especially since the main argument he is positing is opposition to political correctness, censorship, and the real damage which results therefrom.

Freelancer on June 25, 2014 at 12:40 AM

WOW!

This is one of the few times I totally disagree with a posting by Hot Air.

It may be “honest,” but parts of it were filthy anti-semitism, and an apology was correct. Shame on this Noah Rothman (Jewish?) to imply otherwise.

Finally Gary Oldman? What was the last thing of actual note that he has done?

Finally to all Hollywood, shut up and just act, sing dance, whatever!

Janovus on June 25, 2014 at 2:56 AM

I like Gary Oldman, but why waste bile on Gibson or Baldwin? What have they got to do with anything? They are not really PC victims, are they?

He might well have an intelligent perspective but it didn’t come across here.

virgo on June 25, 2014 at 4:31 AM

When, in the near future, we’re standing in bread lines rather than at the water cooler, none of this crap will matter much.
Of course, that’s assuming that bread will be available.

justltl on June 25, 2014 at 5:19 AM

Wow.

Normal people read those all those nasty comments & think, what a jerk, what a loser.

But Noah praises him for being such an honest jerk.

itsnotaboutme on June 25, 2014 at 5:48 AM

WOW!

This is one of the few times I totally disagree with a posting by Hot Air.

Finally Gary Oldman? What was the last thing of actual note that he has done?

Finally to all Hollywood, shut up and just act, sing dance, whatever!

Janovus on June 25, 2014 at 2:56 AM

Whoever Gary Oldman is (I suppose he’s a famous actor), he has made it obvious that he can be quite an obnoxious jerk.

Hopefully his apology is heartfelt & not coerced.

itsnotaboutme on June 25, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Interesting that a guy who claims you can’t say what you think out of political correctness has now walked back what he said and is apologizing for it.
Gary, stick to being a mediocre actor!
STFU

HIltonHeadGuy on June 25, 2014 at 8:33 AM

How is it anti-Semitic to point out that Mel Gibson was pilloried for alleged anti-Semitic remarks while a Jew can offer up whatever anti- remarks and come away unscathed? And I’ve never quite understood how it’s anti-Semitic to point out that Jews are pretty much over-represented in media front offices.

Finally Gary Oldman? What was the last thing of actual note that he has done?

Janovus on June 25, 2014 at 2:56 AM

So the only ones whose opinions are allowed are those who were nominated for an Oscar within the past 2 years? Ad hominem.

ddrintn on June 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM

So tell us the difference. Is it the weight of ancestral sin?

Seth Halpern on June 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM

It seems to be a fairly commonly held Jewish opinion that evangelical Christians are all slobbering for the return of the Fourth Reich so they can kill them some Jews, the evangelical “love” for Israel notwithstanding. Because, you know, evangelicals and fundies are all Nazis under the skin.

ddrintn on June 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM

ddrintn on June 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM

‘Fairly common held Jewish opjnion’, what the f…are you talking about, spewing your usual nonsense/peojections again? As for the ‘evangelical love’ for Israel, puh-lease…PCUSA just divested itself from three companies who do business with Israel and shamefully joined the BDS movement. What next, are you going to argue that the Presbyterians are not evangelicals? :)

jimver on June 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM

ddrintn on June 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Alleged? Do you even kmow what you’re talking about, he was pillored for saying that Jews started every damn war in the world. Nothing to do with who run (or doesn’t) Holywood, obviously you don’t even pay attention. I wouldn’t be surprised if tin foil hat folk like you actually believe that (that they started ‘all the wars in the world’). As for the jews being ‘over-represented’ in media front, what does that even mean, could it be maybe cuz they are good at it, or comptetent, or talented, or good entrepreneurs, no of course not, instead insert your favourite ‘Jews rule the media and the world’ conspiracy theory. Much more simplistic explanation for the mediocre minds. So what exactly do you propose, a quota of non-Jews peeps in this business, modelled by the successfull affirmative action? :) or what exactly, banning Jews from the profession, maybe, enlighten us…

jimver on June 25, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I love that Oldman is not going to be a slave to political correctness.

Resist We Much on June 25, 2014 at 7:41 PM

That boy Gary, he always had a mouth on him (language warning)

I still like the dude, and hate that he caved.

Ugly on June 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I just watched him grovel and apologize on Jimmy Kimmel Live. How pathetic. What a pussy.

Ward Cleaver on June 26, 2014 at 12:01 AM

I just watched him grovel and apologize on Jimmy Kimmel Live. How pathetic.

Ward Cleaver on June 26, 2014 at 12:03 AM