With election approaching, Mark Udall tries to tiptoe around Keystone

posted at 6:31 pm on June 22, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

If Senator Mark Udall (D-Colorado) was hoping to avoid controversy prior to his reelection bid this fall against Cory Gardner by voting to put the Keystone pipeline on the back burner this week for even longer, the strategy may have backfired. There have been more than a few locals unhappy with his decision to essentially stay on the fence and not risk any more political damage. Still, he tried to explain it away and split the baby.

“I am frustrated the Obama administration has taken more than five years to get to this point, but the technical review process needs to run its course,” Udall said. “That’s why I continue to vote against all amendments — Democratic or Republican — that would inject more politics into the pipeline review process.”

It wasn’t just the Republicans (who wouldn’t care much for him either way) who were getting on his case over this. The editorial board of his own hometown paper, the Denver Post, wasn’t exactly shy about calling him to task.

So it’s disappointing to see Sen. Mark Udall, D-Colo., once again vote against the pipeline, as he did Wednesday in the Senate energy committee.

Officially, Udall claims to have no position, his spokesman saying he “believes the technical review needs to be seen through to the end.” But nearly everyone recognizes that the delay by the federal government’s side is political, given the number of studies and how long this process has dragged on.

It would be helpful to know Udall’s position before, not after, the Obama administration officially rules on Keystone.

Udall isn’t sitting in a nearly comfortable enough place to begin swaggering. He is currently in a dead heat with Cory Gardner in pretty much every poll we’ve seen, and is currently on the watch list of seats which may flip this fall. Clearly the Senator thinks that Colorado is in the process of turning a lighter shade of purple (and it may indeed be), but this seems to be rushing it a bit.

In the meantime, Gardner is taking a different approach, sticking to a positive message. We’ll close with his latest television ad.

Comments

CO is a very dysfunctional place…

OmahaConservative on June 22, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Why? What on earth are Ds doing to stop their implosion? Mind you, Rs have a good habit of snatching defeat from victory.

cat_owner on June 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Mark Udall tries to tiptoe around Keystone

…he should wear a Tutu!

JugEarsButtHurt on June 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM

The smart move would be for Udall to always vote Present, a primary qualification for winning the Dem POTUS nomination.

Oh, wait, he’s white, male, and probably heterosexual (three strikes) … nevermind!

ShainS on June 22, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Civilization is based on plentiful food and energy. Greens are against production of either food or energy. Green politics has worked a lot longer than I expected. Perhaps the power of Green is fading.

ShadrachSmith on June 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM

ShadrachSmith on June 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Greens live a parasitic existence. As the fortunes of this country diminish, so will their political power.

ROCnPhilly on June 22, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I would forgive Udall only if he decided to start deporting all Illegal Aliens from our country…..

Realdemocrat1 on June 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM

ShadrachSmith on June 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Not entirely accurate… Greens believe that too many humans occupy the planet, therefore, we need to limit energy and limit food to the “right” people, ie, people like themselves. They aren’t part of the perceived population problem, YOU ARE. They would gladly starve you, but never consider sacrificing themselves…

PointnClick on June 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM

PointnClick on June 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM

That’s just what Lenin and Stalin did

Realdemocrat1 on June 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM

On a related note, Drudge links an article today about Charley Rangel, ever the amnesty advocate, possibly losing his seat this fall to a Hispanic candidate who came within a thousand votes of unseating him last time. Seems that ‘immigration’ is changing the demographics of his district…

Divine justice?!

Shay on June 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM

How many technical reviews will it take before the Administration gets the answer it — and Udall — are looking for?

unclesmrgol on June 22, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Geez Mark… Ogabe the Lazy takes five years to get around to anything.

viking01 on June 22, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Divine justice?!

Shay on June 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Heh.

My idea of divine justice for Rangel would include a wood chipper preceded by too many other things to mention here … YMMV.

ShainS on June 22, 2014 at 7:24 PM

QOTD about to go up. Calling all the rude buffoons and loons!

22044 on June 22, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Divine justice?!

Shay on June 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Aye. It will be entertaining to watch Democratic politicians and the courts trying to draw gerrymandered congressional districts that favor blacks but not ‘hispanics’. Will the CBC fade away and be replaced by the CHC?

slickwillie2001 on June 22, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Udall is the president’s stepchild. He doesn’t have the imagination, and more important, the heart to think outside the box. Right now he’s stuck like a deer in headlights, hoping against common sense that the hardcore left in Colorado will pull him through in November. I think he also sees the anger and frustration that is building in the voters’ minds, voters from across the political spectrum.

Denial won’t save the day for Udall. His problem is that denial is all he has left. Running on his record is the kiss of death, and he knows it. I live here in Colorado, I’m a registered independent, and I’ve decided that Udall has to go.

abester on June 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Udall is certainly a Democrat. Do you think he really believes that stuff? I’m sure the Democrats focus grouped that line about letting the review process work itself out. What he fails to talk about is how long the review process has already taken. If we’d have built that pipeline when it was first approved, we’d be on our way to energy independence and we could tell the Arabs to take a hike. We could also allow the Europeans to tell the Arabs to take a hike while we supplied them with oil too.

I’d love to see the Sultan of Brunei have to sell a yacht or 2.

bflat879 on June 22, 2014 at 10:33 PM

abester on June 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Ditto

chewydog on June 22, 2014 at 10:38 PM

“Disappointing”? How about just a douchebag?

Living in this state run by two cities, Denver and Boulder, is like living in this country run by the Northeast, Illinois, and the Left Coast.

Does anyone read the Denver Post anymore? Why? Did their subscription to Pravda run out?

NoPain on June 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM

PointnClick on June 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM

That’s just what Lenin and Stalin did

Realdemocrat1 on June 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Only real problem they have….WE’RE HEAVILY ARMED.
Barry has been the greatest firearm salesman in history.
100 million background checks during his tenure.
Non-compliance with new gun laws is massive.
Grampa said, “If you poke a wolverine with a sharp stick, you’ll get your balls ripped off.”
They should think about the consequences of their actions.
III/0317

Sgt Stryker on June 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM

I live in CO and have despised Udall for ages. Can’t objectively rate his chances, but he will NEVER get my vote. He’s already running the typical demmie ads about how Cory Gardner opposes women. I’m guessing he’s desperate. Now if only we can get rid of Jared Polis and John Hickenlooper too.

COgirl on June 22, 2014 at 11:18 PM

I am tired of these politicians who refuse to do their jobs and actually have a yes or no vote. They keep kicking the ball down the road, or find some “procedural format” to enact legislation without having to go on record as voting for or against it.

Tinker on June 22, 2014 at 11:49 PM

abester on June 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Same here! I even plan to volunteer for Cory Gardener’s campaign this year.

Cory said he “just can’t stay in a safe Republican seat and sit back and watch while this country goes down …” He gave up a safe conservative district in order to enter the Senate race in Colorado.

Cory Gardener has all my respect, and I hope there is something that I can do to help him.

sohumm on June 23, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Now if only we can get rid of Jared Polis and John Hickenlooper too.

I am in Jared Polis’ district. I wish there could be a way to get rid of him. Whatever it takes.

sohumm on June 23, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Mark Udall tiptoes through Keystone tulips

bour3 on June 23, 2014 at 3:10 AM

“But” deletes everything said before its use.

sadatoni on June 23, 2014 at 7:14 AM

When Dims start voting six or seven times, joined by the voting dead, we’ll know they’re in trouble in Colorado.

vnvet on June 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM

sohumm, I’m in Polis’ district too but up in the mountains. Yeah, like he really represents me. He’s a big hypocrite. Made tons of money off of Obamacare.

COgirl on June 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM

COgirl, I live near Boulder. I met Jared Polis twice during townhall meetings to complain about his aggressive amnesty push.

Polis was annoyed and became impatient to see me the second time, as I can tell from his face expression and body language. I am not sure whether or not it was because I am a female voter, but I never bother to go talk to Polis again.

I also found out that Polis’ immigration counsel, Jorge Loweree, is a dual citizen of both US and Mexico. Some constituents called and tried to verify this info, Mr. Loweree refused to answer. Instead, he was asking: “was this phone call recorded?”

How incredible!

sohumm on June 23, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Stay on the fence Son ‘o Mo. You need to not be re-elected.

jake49 on June 23, 2014 at 1:12 PM

We’ve all put up with the Udall sleaze for decades. It’s time to retire this sad, underperforming, meretricious dynasty.

Esaus Message on June 23, 2014 at 3:59 PM