Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on June 22, 2014 by Allahpundit

President Obama said the Sunni militants that have taken over parts of northern Iraq pose a “medium- and long-term threat” to the U.S. because of their extreme ideology, although other groups probably have more advanced immediate plans to attack U.S…

“I think it’s important for us to recognize that ISIS is just one of a number of organizations that we have to stay focused on,” Mr. Obama said, noting that groups like al Qaeda and Boko Haram, the group that kidnapped hundreds of young women in Nigeria, are still active.

“This is going to be a global challenge and one that the United States is going to have to address but we’re not going to be able to address it alone. And as I said yesterday, what we can’t do is think that we’re just going to play whack-a-mole and send U.S. troops occupying various countries wherever these organizations pop up,” the president said. “We’re going to have to have a more focused, more targeted strategy and we’re going to have to partner and train local law enforcement and military to do their jobs as well.”

***

Sen. Barbara Boxer on Sunday blasted former Vice President Dick Cheney’s criticism of the Obama administration over Iraq as “sick.”…

Boxer, who stressed she supports the “counterterrorism mission” in Iraq, says there’s no appetite for too muscular of a military involvement after America’s long war there.

“The American people don’t want it, the president doesn’t want it, the saner voices in the Senate and the House don’t want it,” she said. “We do have a national security interest in preventing another 9/11. The Iraqis had their chance. They blew it. And I think right now they have got to figure out if they can form an inclusive government.”

***

“If we were to get rid of Assad, it would be a Jihadist wonderland in Syria,” the Kentucky Republican said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “It’s now a Jihadist wonderland in Iraq precisely because we got over involved not because we had too little involvement.”

Paul also said he doesn’t believe the Sunni Muslim fighters, known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, who are advancing toward Baghdad, pose an immediate threat to the United States.

“It could at some point,” he said. “Right now, if you’re a member of ISIS, you’re looking at the Shi’ites right in front of you in the battles you are fighting. I don’t believe ISIS is, in the middle of a fight right now, thinking, ‘Hmm we should send intercontinental missiles to America.’”

***

“Rand Paul, with all due respect, is basically an isolationist,” Cheney shot back. “He doesn’t believe we ought to be involved in that part of the world. I think it’s absolutely essential. One of the things I worried about 12 years ago – and that I worry about today – is that there will be another 9/11 attack and that the next time it’ll be with weapons far deadlier than airline tickets and box cutters.”…

He argued that the Obama administration is “still living back in the day when they claimed we got bin Laden, the terrorism problem is solved. That wasn’t true then. It’s even less true today. The threat is bigger than it’s ever been.”

Asked about what he would recommend, Cheney argued for a broad-based approach to unrest in the region and also called for bolstering moderates in Syria, the scene of another civil war with ties to the unrest in Iraq. But he also acknowledged that “at this point, there are no good, easy answers in Iraq,” something he blamed squarely on the administration.

***

Pressed on what specific actions he supports, Rubio urged a severing of supply lines between Syria – home to another civil war – and Iraq; bolstering “moderate rebel forces in Syria,” and more security for nearby Jordan. He also argued that Iran should not be allowed to gain a stronghold in Iraq, pushing back on Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who recently questioned whether the U.S. runs the risk of becoming Iran’s “air force” with miscalculated involvement.

“I don’t agree with that statement, I think that’s quite an exaggeration,” Rubio said. “The truth of the matter is, if we do nothing, Iran is still going to be involved…if Iran goes in there and becomes involved, and somehow helps the Iraqis turn back ISIS, you can rest assured that a future Iraqi government will be completely, 100 percent under the influence and in the pocket of Iran.”

***

Via MFP.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Top of Drudge has the headline:

Scandal of fiddled global warming data…
USA has actually been COOLING since 1930s…

The linked Telegraph article is based fully on stuff “uncovered by Steven Goddard’s US blog Real Science.” http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/noaanasa-dramatically-altered-us-temperatures-after-the-year-2000/

———- ———- —————– —————-

Three words destroyed the Global Warming Scam.
They were used by a crook called Phil Jones in an email to a colleague:

“Hide the Decline”

anotherJoe on June 23, 2014 at 6:13 AM

As noted in my comment above, Drudge headline: Scandal of fiddled global warming data… USA has actually been COOLING since 1930s

A comment by ChesireRed in the Telegraph article that Drudge linked to:

Steven Goddard deserves great credit for his tireless work exposing this repeated and deliberate fraud – but why is this article reduced to a mere sub-heading? It should be screaming from the front page of the website and tomorrows paper.

Consider the evidence; OFFICIAL climate / government bodies are deliberately FIDDLING and MANIPULATING the data!

Not by accident, by design.

This data is the foundation for $multi-billion government polices across the planet. It is FRAUD, plain and simple, and it goes to the very top of governments – not just in America, but across the world.

anotherJoe on June 23, 2014 at 6:18 AM

commenting on mikas interview with the community organier, donny deutch addresses his demeanor and cadence almost as if he’s check out almost like he “wants to go home”

ooof!

renalin on June 23, 2014 at 6:20 AM

I lol when I heard that renalin

cmsinaz on June 23, 2014 at 6:22 AM

Anotherjoe…
Tree hugger heads exploding

cmsinaz on June 23, 2014 at 6:24 AM

Rand Paul: I am both for and against the war, depending on what the turtle says

Brock Robamney on June 23, 2014 at 6:28 AM

Good morning. 90 today.

I can understand our government not knowing that ISIL was gearing up for an attack but this took major planning and I can’t believe people like the Israelis or the Brits didn’t know.

Brian Wilson was/is a serious drug head. I can’t believe he’s still alive.

Good one KCEW. I wonder if they kidnapped Kerry would anybody here care.

crankyoldlady on June 23, 2014 at 6:38 AM

Halperin finally admits the media better get cracking on the Irs scandal…..if this was a gop administration it would be 24/7 news
With every on agreeing except

Al hunt disagrees there is plenty of coverage by media ……right….page 12 of the nyt is plenty of coverage …..meanwhile not one mention by the alphabet evening news
Idiot

cmsinaz on June 23, 2014 at 6:45 AM

MJ panel loving paul’s view, going after cheney….

cmsinaz on June 23, 2014 at 7:17 AM

But there must be global warming! When I was five in 1950 the snow around our house regularly came up to my neck. Now it only gets to just above my knees.

anotherJoe on June 23, 2014 at 4:03 AM

Funny. I like it.

crankyoldlady on June 23, 2014 at 7:19 AM

Goog morning, Patriots! And, Trolls.

You think that you’re such a smart girl
And I’ll believe what you say
But who do you think you are, girl
To lead me on this way hey

Lies, lies
I can’t believe a word you say
Lies, lies
Are gonna make you sad someday

– “Lies”, The Knickerbockers, 1965

My take: Hillary Clinton Lied About Benghazi…and Her Health. (I’m Shocked. Shocked…I Tell You.)

kingsjester on June 23, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Nice take KJ
*passing popcorn*

cmsinaz on June 23, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Would not trust Paul as my neighborhood watch captain

KBird on June 23, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Good take, KJ. For someone who objected to blaming the video for the attack in Benghazi she sure did embrace her role..

Naturally Curly on June 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM

cmsinaz on June 23, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Naturally Curly on June 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Thank you, ladies!

Things are rapidly unraveling for the Baroness of Benghazi.

kingsjester on June 23, 2014 at 8:12 AM

They may laugh, but more and more our political players make Duck Dynasty look sophisticated…..

Don L on June 23, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Bmore on June 23, 2014 at 9:34 AM

kingsjester on June 23, 2014 at 7:43 AM

…why did you make me smile several times while reading that piece?

JugEarsButtHurt on June 23, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Brian Wilson was/is a serious drug head. I can’t believe he’s still alive.

crankyoldlady on June 23, 2014 at 6:38 AM

Was. And yeah he’s lucky to be alive given the mental problems he’s had.

Still his music comes as close to that flaming sword as anyone’s since Mozart.

kcewa on June 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Is the Capitol capital of Iraq Benghazi?

Brock Robamney on June 23, 2014 at 4:04 AM

Schadenfreude on June 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM

KJ… another great piece … tyvm
I found it interesting in the NYP bit..

“This adviser continued: “Hillary told Obama, ‘Mr. President, that story isn’t credible. Among other things, it ignores the fact that the attack occurred on 9/11.’ But the president was adamant. He said, ‘Hillary, I need you to put out a State Department release as soon as possible.’”

if remotely true… she and BHO lied from moment one…
and were willing to carry forth that lie for
BHO’s as well as her own political gains..

once a lying crook always a lying crook..

also she hung up from one President to call another BC…
to find out how this looks for her career..
‘Bill what should I do’.. or … Bill how can I cover my bum..
not concerned for the well being of the nation one bit…

pathetic.. the whole lot..

thanks again KJ.. cheers

going2mars on June 23, 2014 at 1:49 PM

“After her conversation with the president, Hillary called Bill Clinton, who was at his penthouse apartment in the William J. Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock”

what is the over and under on if Billy was alone in the Penthouse??
60/40 no?? .. higher??..

going2mars on June 23, 2014 at 2:00 PM

shhh shhh wait wait..you girls are gonna have to be quiet for a minute..
its cankles is on the phone… hush now y’all..

going2mars on June 23, 2014 at 2:05 PM