Rick Perry: I “stepped right in it” when I compared homosexuality to alcoholism

posted at 4:41 pm on June 20, 2014 by Allahpundit

What he said is less interesting on the merits than it is as a sign of how his strategy’s changed since 2012.

The Texas Republican Party this month adopted a platform supporting access to “reparative therapy” for gays and lesbians, a widely discredited process intended to change sexual orientation. In response to an audience question about it Wednesday night, Perry said he did not know whether the therapy worked.

Commonwealth Club interviewer Greg Dalton then asked him whether he believes homosexuality is a disorder.

“Whether or not you feel compelled to follow a particular lifestyle or not, you have the ability to decide not to do that,” Perry said. “I may have the genetic coding that I’m inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that, and I look at the homosexual issue the same way.”

The large crowd gathered at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins hotel on Nob Hill included many Perry supporters. But the comment still drew a murmur of disbelief.

That was Wednesday night. Watch the first clip below to see where he was just a day later. He hasn’t disowned what he said, but you can feel him almost physically wince at the fact that he let himself get sidetracked by an issue that has nothing to do with what he’s got cooking for his next campaign. In fact, one interesting subplot to Perry 2.0 is how, in a broad way, it may resemble Romney 2.0. Remember, Mitt ran as a strong social conservative in 2008; he flamed out because (a) social conservatism was a minor matter in an election dominated by Iraq and, later, the financial crisis and (b) if you were eager to back a social con with moderate leanings, you had the more authentic Huckabee as an option instead. In 2012, Romney dumped social conservatism as a key part of his plank and ran on his true strength, as the business savant who’d turn the economy around after four years of struggle. Perry had a strong business record too, of course, as governor during Texas’s long economic boom, but between his immigration stumbles, his poor campaigning, and his late-ish entry, he could never snatch that niche away from Mitt. By the end of his campaign, he had seized on — ta da — social conservatism as a key distinction between him and Romney. Watch the second clip below to refresh your memory. That sounds … a lot different than what he says in the first clip about pushing our disagreements on social policy to the side and making sure all Americans have a job.

In other words, Perry’s going to run as the “business candidate” in 2016. That’s why he’s doing splashy tours of other states to try to lure companies to Texas, replete with triumphant appearances in national media whenever he entices a big one to make the move. You can already see the different “brands” in the 2016 field shaping up — Paul’s the libertarian, Cruz is the tea partier, Walker’s the guy who beat labor, Rubio’s the guy who’ll compromise to get big things like immigration done, and Rick Perry’s the guy who’ll get you a job. That’s a mighty good brand to have after eight years of Obamanomics and he knows it, which is why he’s kicking himself here for having been thrown off message for even a day. He’s not going to go quite as far as Mitch Daniels and call for a “truce” on social issues — he needs to remain a social con in good standing to have a shot in the primaries — but I think he’s operating more or less along those lines at this point. His “alcoholism” comments were a minor breach of that truce. I’ll bet he doesn’t repeat the error.

Comments

That doesn’t seem like it’s an “extremist” view point, to me.

listens2glenn on June 20, 2014 at 4:43 PM

…get it out of your system now RP…not during your future debates please!

JugEarsButtHurt on June 20, 2014 at 4:44 PM

You’re fine Rick. Quit worrying.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM

That doesn’t seem like it’s an “extremist” view point, to me.

You’re right. It’s more ignorant than extreme.

Mmm...Burritos on June 20, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I think Perry is right on this, up until his back tracking.

Of course, he does this. He hooked me in 2012 with his Social Security is a Ponzi scheme statement, only to walk it back. That was before he decided to tell us that people who do not support giving special privileges to illegal aliens were without a heart.

Since that point, it seems to me that Perry has been showing that he is more supportive of illegal aliens and people who live in other nations than his fellow countrymen.

astonerii on June 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM

An (honest) Libertarian would have had no trouble with the answer: “I’m not qualified to address that issue. What I do believe is that consenting adults are free to engage in private sexual activity without support or interference from the government.”

That “reparative therapy” plank of the Texas GOP platform is preposterous and as outrageously Big Government as a Liberal policy of government-funded abortions on demand…

jbspry on June 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM

He’s right. It’s a lifestyle choice. One I refuse to embrace and celebrate but one I will ignore if left alone by its practitioners and advocates. Whatever you do in your home is nothing I care about. I start caring when you get in my face and tell me I have to embrace it and try to silence me and take away my right to disapprove of it.

Same with pedophiles and other perverts.

pdigaudio on June 20, 2014 at 4:52 PM

This is nothing for anyone to get their panties in a knot about.

faraway on June 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM

All hat, no balls. Let him stay in Texas.

Rix on June 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Just apologize to the alcoholics and get it over with.

Buddahpundit on June 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Mitt ran as a strong social conservative in 2008; he flamed out because

No one believed he was genuine.

You can’t mock conservatives and expect to win.

See McCain, John for another example.

Bigbullets on June 20, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Rs need to stay entirely focused on the failures of Dear Leader, and what they would do about it.

Yet they keep falling into the same traps. No wonder it’s the Stupid Party.

cat_owner on June 20, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Sounds perfectly rational to me.

Stoic Patriot on June 20, 2014 at 4:58 PM

You’re fine Rick. Quit worrying.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Exactly.

Pretty soon, all of us who don’t loudly celebrate sexual deviancy will be “stepping in it.”

CurtZHP on June 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Of course, the leftist media will never use this against Perry. Not a chance.

His second Presidential run will likely flame out as fast as the first one did.

cat_owner on June 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I hope that if Perry is careful in the future that the too zealous gays won’t be able to make this incident stick to him.

thuja on June 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Purely in terms of your genes having an effect on your behavior or personality, it was a good comparison just not very PC. A better comparison would be to something like left-handedness, autism, or cleft-palate.

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Just apologize to the alcoholics and get it over with.

Buddahpundit on June 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Shut down the thread; we have a winner.

eforhan on June 20, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Just apologize to the alcoholics and get it over with.

Buddahpundit on June 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM

THREAD WINNER

CapnObvious on June 20, 2014 at 5:05 PM

The Texas Republican Party this month adopted a platform supporting access to “reparative therapy” for gays and lesbians, a widely discredited successful process intended to change sexual orientation.

Fixed.

Why do you quote fools & then not challenge their dogma, Allahpundit?

itsnotaboutme on June 20, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Rix on June 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Any need to be so rude ? He’d be a far more trustworthy
individual in the WH than we have now .
Na , he’s not perfect but 100% male for sure .

Lucano on June 20, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Rick Perry: I “stepped right in it” when I compared homosexuality to alcoholism..

Perry has a long history of acting like BITE-ME biden – taking without his brain (what little there is) in gear.

MicahStone on June 20, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Lucano on June 20, 2014 at 5:07 PM

There’s lots of better choices though. Starting with Cruz.

cat_owner on June 20, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Rick Perry’s anti-gay marriage ad in 2012 would have worked, and may still if he has the guts to stand up on this issue. Yeah, the alcoholism comment was a bit much, but I was thinking maybe Perry was about the only one with the fortitude to stand up and let the traditional marriage issue rise again in our favor. Now he’s backtracking or whatever. If Perry can’t stand up for traditional marriage anymore, then I don’t know what good he is.

Rick Perry’s the guy who’ll get you a job
Yeah, that does sounds like Romney. Not good.
Perry is the “competence” candidate, despite the …. “oops.”

anotherJoe on June 20, 2014 at 5:12 PM

There only used to be one third rail to politicians. Now there are 37 rails.

Every group has to have their a$$ kissed now.

I’ve just about had it with politics.

portlandon on June 20, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I think Perry is right on this, up until his back tracking.
astonerii on June 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I’m holding out for a politician who, when s/he says something that’s correct, but politically incorrect, doesn’t backtrack. They are few and far between. Perry shouldn’t have given into the “gay” mafia and just let GLAAD be mad.

whatcat on June 20, 2014 at 5:14 PM

There’s lots of better choices though. Starting with Cruz.

cat_owner on June 20, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I like Cruz but I would rather keep him where he is for now. Enough with Senators or Congressmen running a Governor is a better choice. I like Perry and Walker…

sandee on June 20, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Gender confusion is a mental disorder as is addiction. They go to a lot of trouble to “help” addicts. Why not homosexuals. However, he needs to be careful not to give the socialist nitpickers anything to sidetrack us with and stick to the important things.

crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM

thuja on June 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM

No one care what you think, baby killer.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM

That doesn’t seem like it’s an “extremist” view point, to me.

listens2glenn on June 20, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Congratulations! You’re not a wild-eyed liberal loon.

jbspry on June 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Wait. How is a plank that allows parents options in the treatment of their children outrageous big government? I would think the California law that bans such therapy is more of a big government move.

Occams Stubble on June 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Buddapundit just hit a Grand Slam.

Shut Er down

ToddPA on June 20, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Purely in terms of your genes having an effect on your behavior or personality
slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2014 at 5:01 PM

That part is a non-starter; there is no “gay” gene.

whatcat on June 20, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Homosexualists, so to speak, have been demanding recognition for “it” being “inherent” or “from birth it began” so why the outrage that Perry’s saying about the same thing, as to comparing it with “alcoholism,” some inherent biological quality that “makes” people drink or engage in homosexuality? Same process if you think these are inherited, or, in one’s DNA, “at birth” it exists.

I disagree with both of these perspectives, however, but in Perry’s case and the uproar about his comments, he’s only expressing the same perspective as those who insist homosexuality or “homosexuals” are “made that way”.

Lourdes on June 20, 2014 at 5:19 PM

there is no “gay” gene.

And there’s been a huuuge amount of money put to the task of finding and isolating that alleged “gay gene,” to no avail. Not there, doesn’t exist.

It’s in the mind, however, not genetic, not organic; in other words, “psychological”.

Lourdes on June 20, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Yes, we certainly don’t want a candidate who speaks the truth – Right?

Perry shouldn’t have backtracked on this – it makes him look limp, impotent and “progressive”.

Pork-Chop on June 20, 2014 at 5:22 PM

sandee on June 20, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I like Walker a lot too. There are a lot of other R governors, but don’t know much about most of them.

cat_owner on June 20, 2014 at 5:22 PM

sandee on June 20, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Being a governor doesn’t bestow some sort of superiority. Ask Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton. Or countless other current Guvs. That’s not to say it’s vice versa, that X office is better than the governor office – just that you gotta go by the man (or woman) on his-her own merits not on the office.

whatcat on June 20, 2014 at 5:24 PM

there is no “gay” gene.

Lourdes on June 20, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Then it can be cured.

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM

The gheys used to say it was a sexual preference and a lifestyle choice.

He shouldn’t back down on it because, as any number of showbiz types have shown over the years, they can suppress it when they want to.

As a great cavalry tactician once observed, “Never apologize, Mister, it’s a sign o’ weakness”.

formwiz on June 20, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Lourdes on June 20, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Yes, with the lack of a “born gay” gene, the only other option is the “nuture” impact forming the person’s mindset on matters of sex. It would be the same with someone with a shoe sex-fetish – nothing genetic, the person got psychologically messed up.

whatcat on June 20, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Just apologize to the alcoholics and get it over with.

Buddahpundit on June 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM

THREADWINNER.

ezspirit on June 20, 2014 at 5:36 PM

This is a good example of why Perry can NEVER be the Republican nominee.

Whitey Ford on June 20, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I’ve just about had it with politics.

portlandon on June 20, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Been looking for you. Before you go anywhere. Would you like to throw in on a little something with me?

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM

If I were running for President, I would stay away from any social issue that would allow the media to remove the focus from Obama and the Democrats’ dismal record running both the economy (ESPECIALLY the economy) and foreign policy.

The last thing a successful candidate to defeat Hillary (or Elizabeth Warren or whoever0 needs is to get bogged down in arguments about gay rights, abortion, and contraception…because, quite frankly, these are side shows. The United States is on the verge of collapse, and while moral disintegration certainly plays a role, it won’t get the tax code reformed and rein in entitlement spending.

All of THAT being said, I’m supporting Perry for the nomination. He’s the best guy for the job (pun intended).

DRayRaven on June 20, 2014 at 5:49 PM

DRayRaven on June 20, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Mitt basically did just that and the Democrats were smart enough to recognize that distracting people with a side show – and you’re right that that’s what it is – was their only chance so they manufactured the “war on women” and here we are with another four years under the Dear Leader.

alchemist19 on June 20, 2014 at 5:52 PM

The bottom video affirms the right of religious freedom. It can’t be characterized as “anti-gay” except by those who characterize “anti-gay” as anything less than bowing down at the holy altar of approval-of-everything- gay.

When support for traditional marriage is characterized as anti-gay, hatred and homophobia, you know how desperate they are, not just to demonize, but to criminalize any opposition to their agenda.

Perry was right. Homosexual behavior is self-destructive just as alcoholism is.

JannyMae on June 20, 2014 at 5:56 PM

It care not for what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home. I do not need to know.
What repulses me,and does them no favours, is when they throw their balls in your face during their parades & any other opportunity that they have to announce their predispositions.

DJcool on June 20, 2014 at 6:00 PM

******* REALLy *************!!

Oh Sh*t:

The Associated Press @AP · 28s

Texas Gov. Rick Perry draws comparison between alcoholism and homosexuality, during talk on economy: http://apne.ws/1oR5cD3
=============================================================

Perry discusses view of homosexuality
Jun. 12, 2014 4:53 AM EDT
*************************

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Texas Gov. Rick Perry, during a visit that focused primarily on economic issues, drew on a reference to alcoholism to explain his view of homosexuality.

Perry’s comments to the Commonwealth Club of California came after Texas’ Republican Convention on Saturday sanctioned platform language allowing Texans to seek voluntary counseling to “cure” being gay.

The San Francisco Chronicle http://bit.ly/1oWq0qR reports that in response to a question about it, Perry said he did not know whether the therapy worked.

Perry, a former and potential future GOP presidential candidate, was then asked whether he believed homosexuality was a disorder.

The paper says that the governor responded that “whether or not you feel compelled to follow a particular lifestyle or not, you have the ability to decide not to do that.”

He said: “I may have the genetic coding that I’m inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that, and I look at the homosexual issue the same way.”

The Texas Republican platform stand on the issue is in contrast to California and New Jersey, which have previously banned licensed professionals from providing such therapy to minors.

During the bulk of his talk, Perry held up his own state as a model for responsible energy production and economic growth in California.

Perry said he believes Texas is leading the way in achieving energy independence by producing crude oil and electricity in many forms, including solar power.

Perry also suggested that deregulating electricity had started a boom for renewable energy in Texas, which he called the nation’s leading developer of wind energy.

Perry said shale drilling techniques had doubled oil production in Texas, and he urged Californians to tap the full energy potential in its Monterey Shale.

On Tuesday, Perry drove up to California’s state capital of Sacramento in a Tesla Model S electric car — underscoring his desire to lure a Tesla battery factory to Texas.

canopfor on June 12, 2014 at 5:18 AM

canopfor on June 20, 2014 at 6:01 PM

You’re right. It’s more ignorant than extreme.
Mmm…Burritos on June 20, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I don’t understand. What’s ignorant about it?

anuts on June 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM

A little crude, but no biggy!!!

canopfor on June 20, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Just apologize to the alcoholics and get it over with.

Buddahpundit on June 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM

LOL

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I thought Perry’s comparison was mostly pitch-perfect…never mentioning religion or sin, even a bit of science in there. It would have been better to add bisexuality as well. Then you can’t be accused of being “anti-gay”.

monalisa on June 20, 2014 at 6:14 PM

As I said in 2012, I prefer the candidate who talks the least about lady parts or sex in general. The less I hear about that stuff in politics, the happier I am. That said, I know that I have exactly zero influence on who gets the GOP nomination, so all I can do is sit back and watch.

juliesa on June 20, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Rand Paul the libertarian and Ted Cruz the tea partier? Really? I expected more from Allah.

So the meaning of the tea party is shifting before our eyes to a point I don’t think the people who began the movement would even recognize it.

I know Allah has responded to comments before and if the comment gods would grant me that wish, I would live for him to explain what makes Ted Cruz the tea party candidate over rand Paul. If there was a list of criteria to check, I want to see where Ted Cruz got more checks for adhering to tea party principles over rand Paul.

coolrepublica on June 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I think the reparative therapy plank is bit much.

However, people do have a right to pursue therapy as they choose with their therapist.

By the numbers, over half of the LGTB community identifies as bisexual.

There is nothing wrong with any of them choosing therapy to help reinforce the side of their sexuality they want. If a bisexual wants therapy to help them be happy in a same-sex role, there is nothing wrong with that. If a bisexual wants therapy to help them be happy in an opposite-sex role, there’s also nothing wrong with that.

Whether a therapist can change a lifelong gay into a straight or a lifelong straight into a gay is probably a different question. But a majority of LGBT’s can benefit from therapy in the role they choose to emphasize.

And what about “choice”? The only people they don’t want to have a choice are bi’s or gays who want to take a shot at determining their own relationships.

Toocon on June 20, 2014 at 6:55 PM

He’s right. It’s a lifestyle choice.

pdigaudio on June 20, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Ah, yes…*facepalm*

JetBoy on June 20, 2014 at 6:59 PM

By the numbers, over half of the LGTB community identifies as bisexual.

Toocon on June 20, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Who’s numbers?

JetBoy on June 20, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Perry should have stuck with the standard that homosexuality is a mental disorder, much like liberalism.

Diluculo on June 20, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Just apologize to the alcoholics and get it over with.

Buddahpundit on June 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM

…haven’t seen a winner like this in weeks!

JugEarsButtHurt on June 20, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I watched a Dragnet rerun last week. You know, Jack Webb as Sergeant Friday. Their captain was talking about how their job was harder now, as society was losing respect for authority, and that some even considered homosexuality as normal and acceptable. This was in 1967.

LashRambo on June 20, 2014 at 8:29 PM

That doesn’t seem like it’s an “extremist” view point, to me.

listens2glenn on June 20, 2014 at 4:43 PM

You’re right. It’s more ignorant than extreme.

Mmm…Burritos on June 20, 2014 at 4:49 PM

@listens2glenn on June 20, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Congratulations! You’re not a wild-eyed liberal loon.

Occams Stubble on June 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Conflicting replies . . . . . what to do ? . . . . .
The one that agrees with me is RIGHT !

That wasn’t so hard … : )

listens2glenn on June 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Who’s numbers? – JetBoy at 7:01 PM

Anybody’s, all the way back to Kinsey.

The Right has always missed the opportunity to base arguments on this fact due to squeamishness with the topic. It isn’t just the therapy argument either, it impinges on a lot of disputes over sexuality politics.

Toocon on June 20, 2014 at 8:37 PM

He’s right. It’s a lifestyle choice.

pdigaudio on June 20, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Ah, yes…*facepalm*

JetBoy on June 20, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Whether you’re ‘born with’ a predisposition to the temptation, or not … the willful acceptance of it constitutes a “lifestyle choice”.
And now, to tip the applecart completely over … the practice of sodomy is an abnormality.

listens2glenn on June 20, 2014 at 8:46 PM

The real Rick Perry will sell you out.

He did try to sell our state highways to a Spanish toll road company. He was working with Rudy G .

APACHEWHOKNOWS on June 20, 2014 at 9:05 PM

What he “stepped in” was truth. An uncomfortable truth, but a truth nevertheless.

There are actually a lot of influences on alcoholism, both genetic and learned. There is a genetic association with alcoholism that is very well described in the medical / biochemical literature. A deficiency in an enzyme called Alcohol Dehydrogenase is strongly associated with alcoholism. People deficient in this enzyme keep their “buzz” longer, and do not get hung over. People with this enzymatic deficiency are therefore much more likely to end up becoming alcoholics. There are, of course, innumerable genes that have some effect on the propensity to be a substance abuser. And many people feel driven to drink, as a result of many genetic and learned influences. But ultimately, the decision to put the bottle to your lips is a voluntary decision. And reformed alcoholics frequently struggle with their inner demons the rest of their lives.

Similarly, there are probably many genetic influences on sexual behavior. There are, no doubt, many people who feel driven toward homosexual behavior, and can not change their inner drives any more than a long-time alcoholic can extinguish his cravings. But the final pathway is ultimately voluntary – even if it is difficult to steer away from your inner drives.

And homosexuality and alcoholism are, ultimately, about satisfying inner cravings – with results that produce no real benefits for society at large, at a very large cost in terms of public health.

Like many on this thread, I don’t care what you do in your bedroom – as long as you keep it in your bedroom. The moment that you try to force me to accept homosexuality as “equal” to heterosexual behavior, then you have crossed the line with me. Because it is not equal, by any objective measure.

SubmarineDoc on June 20, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Alcoholism will destroy your liver.

Hepatitis C, contracted through promiscuous homosexuality, will also destroy your liver.

Now I’m sure that isn’t what Perry meant, but then what does it matter? Pretending that homosexuals deserve to be praised or protected from insult is absurd.

leereyno on June 20, 2014 at 11:27 PM

If guy that can’t just defend what he said, that being gay is genetic, just like alcoholism, he doesn’t deserve higher office.

You don’t treat the gotcha trash in journalism with any respect. They don’t respect you, after all.

MNHawk on June 21, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Perry is a complete idiot…
His primary campaign exposed it and I see no change since. Not defending teh gays but just calling a spade a spade.

trs on June 21, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Good article Allahpundit. Perry did step right into it. I watched the entire video of the interview. He squirmed as he tried to make his points, which failed even in an pro-Perry audience.

SC.Charlie on June 21, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Of course, the leftist media will never use this against Perry. Not a chance.

His second Presidential run will likely flame out as fast as the first one did.

cat_owner on June 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Check this thread. Even “conservative” gays will attack him.

hawkdriver on June 21, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Perry was right on the substance, but doesn’t have the substance to defend his position.

virgo on June 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I do hope that future candidates are more selective of their words.

Homosexuality isn’t the societal problem; promiscuity is, and no orientation has a monopoly on that.

bmmg39 on June 21, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Sadly most have been so gullibley brainwashed by “The gay invention” (http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=18-10-036-f and http://www.DrJudithReisman.org) so badly they even imagine the linguistic error “homosex-” is a part of rational vocabulary. Kind of like “gay marriage” fraud. I think we should also legalize two-sided triangles; just because you think something’s missing in that doesn’t mean you should be allowed to minimize the happiness of those non-three-sided entities, and you shouldn’t be so narrow-minded as to demand them be polygonal for acceptance. Biblical and historical illiteracy have sadly taken over to the point where most “arguments” are entirely emotive and irrational to the point of depending solely on that good old flatly mendacious ad argumentum baculum. God save us.

russedav on June 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM

PS
As with creation vs evolution who were those who discredited reparative therapy, those interested in truth or those with a vested interest in the outcome, even to the point of mendacity to bring it about. Like when sodomites terrorized shrinks into calling it the sickness it really is. Some scientific advancement that, terrorism at your service to achieve the desired result, something they’d hypocritically fight to the death were the roles reversed: http://www.conservapedia.com/Homosexual_Agenda note-58
http://traditionalvalues.org/content/article/30884/Exposed: The Myth That Psychiatry Has Proven That Homosexual Behavior Is Normal

russedav on June 21, 2014 at 3:39 PM

jbspry on June 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM

‘Reparative therapy’ is not preposterous, nor is it widely discredited, as the left wants to insist.

It is simply no longer politically correct to believe that homosexuals can change.

It was common enough until the homofascists hounded the APA into changing their position on homosexuality as a disorder, thereby ruling it to be normal. When that happened the practitioners who had been doing reparative therapy for years were suddenly abandoned by the broader organization.

The same crowd who demanded that homosexuality no longer be considered a psychological disorder also demand that reparative therapy be condemned. The reason should be obvious.

But it is not about science, it’s about political pressure. Just like the decision to remove homosexuality from the DSM was driven by pressure from activist groups, not by science.

There Goes the Neighborhood on June 22, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Occams Stubble on June 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM

It’s not primarily a big government vs. small government issue, but there’s no denying that the California law declaring all reparative therapy to be useless is far more expansive than a position that it should be available for those who want it.

There’s no denying, though, that the California law is a pander to a special interest group: homosexual activists, who object to reparative therapy based not on science or practicality, but because it suggests that homosexuality is something less than absolutely normal and desirable.

The government should not be pandering to special interest groups. That destroys the basic principle that no one is above the law.

There Goes the Neighborhood on June 22, 2014 at 1:05 AM