Quotes of the day

posted at 8:41 pm on June 20, 2014 by Allahpundit

Rand Paul is for the first time weighing in on the chaos in Iraq…

He leaves the question of targeted airstrikes open, saying there are “many questions” that need to be addressed before the U.S. proceeds: “What would airstrikes accomplish? We know that Iran is aiding the Iraqi government against ISIS. Do we want to, in effect, become Iran’s air force? What’s in this for Iran? Why should we choose a side, and if we do, who are we really helping?”

Asked whether he supports the president’s decision to send 300 military advisers to Iraq and continuing to aid the Iraqi army, Paul says he doesn’t “second guess” the decisions. But he couldn’t help himself, adding that the United States has for a decade now funneled aid the Iraqi army and “you gotta wonder what’s happened to all the money.”…

Though most foreign-policy experts have traced the current chaos to the Obama administration’s failure to negotiate a new Status of Forces Agreement with Iraqi prime minister Nouri al-Maliki, Paul says insurgents very well could have seized control of the country’s most important cities even if the U.S. had maintained its presence — and that it’s a good thing American soldiers aren’t getting caught in the crossfire right now. “This may well still have happened,” he says. “I think it’s probably fortunate that [American troops] weren’t there.”

***

Sen. Rand Paul intertwined his message against foreign aid on Friday with a message that appeals to the GOP’s social conservative base.

“There’s a war on Christianity going on, and sometimes you’re being asked to pay for it,” the Kentucky Republican said. “I say not one penny to any country that persecutes Christians.”…

The first-term senator blasted the Obama administration for arming rebels in Syria, some of whom have been reported to attack Christians…

Paul, however, said nothing of defending Christians who are currently being threatened in Iraq by Islamic militants, known as the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

***

What would airstrikes accomplish? We know that Iran is aiding the Iraqi government against ISIS. Do we want to, in effect, become Iran’s air force? What’s in this for Iran? Why should we choose a side, and if we do, who are we really helping?…

For the small group calling for boots on the ground—how can we ask our brave men and women to risk their lives for a country the Iraqis aren’t willing to fight for themselves? Iraqi soldiers are stripping off their uniforms and fleeing this fight. We shouldn’t ask our soldiers to put their uniforms on to take their places…

Many of those clamoring for military action now are the same people who made every false assumption imaginable about the cost, challenge and purpose of the Iraq war. They have been so wrong for so long. Why should we listen to them again?

Saying the mess in Iraq is President Obama’s fault ignores what President Bush did wrong. Saying it is President Bush’s fault is to ignore all the horrible foreign policy decisions in Syria, Libya, Egypt and elsewhere under President Obama, many of which may have contributed to the current crisis in Iraq. For former Bush officials to blame President Obama or for Democrats to blame President Bush only serves as a reminder that both sides continue to get foreign policy wrong. We need a new approach, one that emulates Reagan’s policies, puts America first, seeks peace, faces war reluctantly, and when necessary acts fully and decisively.

***

The Cheneys snarl about “appeasing our enemies,” “abandoning our allies,” and “apologizing for our great nation,” as if it was the 2004 Republican National Convention all over again. Paul, with the exception of one somewhat intemperate paragraph asking “Why should we listen to them again?”, approaches the question with an assumption of personal and national humility, a sense that American knowledge of (and power to shape) fluid events in the Middle East has limitations, as does American appetite for making the kind of commitments that the Cheneys of the world constantly seek…

This is a pretty clearly defined fork in the road for GOP foreign policy. As Rand Paul put it to me last August, when the elective war under debate was Syria, “We’re losing, on a good day, 70/30 among the Republicans [in the Senate]. But we win every day among the grassroots, probably 80/20, 90/10.” How—if at all—those numbers converge will tell us much about the fortunes of the Republican Party, and of the country.

***

Part of the rationale for giving people who got Iraq wrong last time the chance to explain why this intervention is different is that they may be right. Supporting the Iraq invasion was an unusually big mistake, but sooner or later, almost everyone who offers opinions about war makes mistakes. Ted Kennedy opposed overthrowing Manuel Noriega. Colin Powell opposed the Gulf War, as did most Democrats in Congress. Jimmy Carter thought it such a bad idea that he urged other nations to reject authorization for force at the UN. Michael Moore opposed NATO’s military intervention in Kosovo. The Nation called it a “careless, cowardly and destructive war.” In the run-up to the 2003 Iraq invasion, in fact, some hawks did exactly what Waldman is doing now. They urged the public to “ignore those who got it all wrong” when they opposed successful military actions in the 1990s.

If accurately forecasting the last war were a reliable guide to accurately forecasting the next one, foreign policy would be a lot simpler. In fact, American history is littered with people who looked prescient one moment and foolish the next: critics of World War I who therefore opposed American entry into World War II; champions of World War II who therefore supported America’s war in Vietnam; champions of the Balkan interventions who therefore supported America’s invasion of Iraq.

The point is that everyone—whether they got the last war right or not—should approach the next one with humility. Everyone should answer for his or her past mistakes but no one should be written out of the debate because of them. Judging by the past century of American foreign policy, it’s precisely when people are most confident history has proven them right that they’re most likely to be wrong.

***

This I know: America has made profound — and far more costly — mistakes at the beginning of virtually every war. The opening months of World War II were a national nightmare, rendered more palatable to the public only through large-scale censorship that sometimes blocked the American people’s knowledge of defeats that cost more lives in one night than America would lose in entire years in Iraq or Afghanistan. In the Korean War, profound diplomatic and intelligence failures led to headlong retreats and mass-scale slaughters of unprepared soldiers. In the Civil War, poor tactics and dreadful leadership almost destroyed the nation less than one century after its founding, as a Union with immense manpower and industrial benefits arguably came within a few improper orders and missed battlefield opportunities from crumbling in the face of the Army of Northern Virginia. The list of horrifying mistakes could go on, but — as I just said — war is hard, the enemy always has a vote, and sometimes only cruel experience can teach us the right lessons…

We are all responsible for our words and actions. Even though my influence is minimal (especially compared to my colleagues posting here on NRO and syndicated nationally) I sometimes agonize over individual words in blog posts. And I still think every day about the choices I made in Iraq. But if I’m responsible — as a supporter of the war from the beginning and a veteran of that same conflict — for what I say and do, so are the victory lappers. And I would not trade places with a group that helped manufacture the “war weariness” that gripped an American public that has, apart from a tiny minority, sacrificed nothing for this conflict and would continue to sacrifice nothing even if we maintained the small force in Iraq necessary to secure our gains.

You helped America leave, and in so doing, you helped waste the sacrifice of those few who served.

Your moral superiority is misplaced.

Your victory lap is grotesque.

***

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul told conservative activists Friday that hawkish Republicans have mistakenly concluded that U.S. military intervention is a sign of American strength…

“Reagan spoken often of peace through strength. I hear that some in our nation, some in our party have forgotten the first part of the sentence,” Paul said. “Peace should be our goal even as we build our strength. Some in my party have distorted the belief of peace through strength into the misguided belief that we should project strength through war.”

***

I think the same questions could be asked of those who supported the Iraq War. You know, were they right in their predictions? Were there weapons of mass destruction there? That’s what the war was sold on. Was democracy easily achievable? Was the war won in 2005, when many of these people said it was won? They didn’t really, I think, understand the civil war that would break out. And what’s going on now — I don’t blame on President Obama. Has he really got the solution? Maybe there is no solution. But I do blame the Iraq War on the chaos that is in the Middle East. I also blame those who are for the Iraq War for emboldening Iran.

***

Via MFP.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7 8

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Thank you!!! I’ll enjoy looking at it tomorrow on break.

One of the first thing I saw when I open the page was that it linked to Scarborough. This is where I was at.

Had never heard of “pub crawl” before that! Wild place on the weekends!

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Rock and Roll

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 12:40 AM

Judge_Dredd on June 21, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Oopsie sorry!! I saw me name and skimmed the rest lol ;)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:40 AM

great gig in the sky…

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 12:40 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Any city/town worth it’s ‘salt’ has pub crawls!!

Fun isn’t it ;D

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Ravel – Bolero

And on that note, I bid Friends and Lurkers niters and sleep well!

[tosses bar keys to OC, Scrumpy, G2M, Judge and Parm...]

Newtie and the Beauty on June 21, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Do you? How can you tell?

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Oh OC!! Do tell about your ghost, pretty please ;)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:36 AM

When I sleep in the unfinished basement on my air mattress I see him pacing around and walking up and down the stairs. He sorta’ resembles an older Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain. He does a lot of sighing and wringing of hands. He wears the white suit and panama hat. Kitten is scared to death of him and runs to the top of the stairs and howls loudly to get out of the basement when he appears. He is an annoyance to me who causes me to lose sleep…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:42 AM

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 12:40 AM

You can never spin enough PF!! Thanks G2M :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on June 21, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Good Night and God Bless NatB!!

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Babe I’m Gonna Leave You

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on June 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Wabbit

Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Yeah, it was. I’ve lived in SE US all my life (well, except when I lived very briefly in Dallas) and pub crawl just isn’t a way of life for us here.

It was definitely different. There was a pub about 1/ 8 mi from the bungalow that I was living in. And I was there during Jan, Feb, Mar. I used to sit next to the fireplace at the pub and watch people for hours. The culture is very different from our own here in the states.

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Contrary to the rumors, I have not ummm, err, well, maybe, but probably not…

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM

We all know that MG is the ethereal supernatural goddess of moon light and all that is phantasmagorical beyond the lunary sphere.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 11:47 PM

MG is allah?

/snicker

Diluculo on June 21, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on June 21, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Good night, Newtie!

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:46 AM

williamg on June 21, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Truly great!!

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:41 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM

We do the Pub crawl thing here in SoCal… With the right group of people/friends, a Pub crawl is an amazingly awesome thing.

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Judge_Dredd on June 21, 2014 at 12:36 AM I believe OC does Judge… You did at one point :) Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:37 Am

He has mine too, and has my permission to give it to any of the regulars.

I know he wouldn’t pass it out to any shithead.

wolly4321 on June 21, 2014 at 12:49 AM

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:42 AM

What’s the history of the house?

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:49 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM

The local pub is our social centre, now, if you just sat there and didn’t literally crawl from one pub to the next, it wasn’t a pub crawl lol…

It is very different, I was barmaid at my local village pub for a couple years, and I loved pulling pints!!

The things we would talk about, after hrs was always the best, I would call Last Call, and get rid of the ‘outsiders’ and shut the lights off and we lit candles and had the fire going and we’d sit around and drink til 4am!! Those were the days LH :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Misty Mountain Hop

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM

that is not a wabbit my lil greek friend..
here’s some bunnies.. tainted love

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 12:51 AM

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Really? I was fascinated by the ones I saw in Scarborough. The roads in the center of town are laid brick. You park in the closest park and walk up into the center of town.

I bet we would do 6 pubs in a night!

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Contrary to the rumors, I have not ummm, err, well, maybe, but probably not…

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Whacha up to?

Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 12:53 AM

I bet we would do 6 pubs in a night!

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Well now I shall hush my mouth!! You did it right LH :)

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Oh yeah, it’s yer friends that make is so great!! Good times OW good times :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:51 AM

LOL! Sounds like a lot of fun!

How would you compare the sense of community in the US to what you were accustomed to in the UK?

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:55 AM

We aren’t disagreeing.
We just don’t like seeing empty chairs of others that didn’t disagree.

No we don’t.

Swalker bought it for talking about lamp posts.

I think about it daily. Ried, schumer..

The list is long.

He just spoke honestly. Can I?

The left can here. Calling us every name in the book.

wolly4321 on June 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM

The mods expect us to fend for ourselves mostly. Because of this, going2mars and I have been discussing how nice it would be to have an ignore button. That wouldn’t solve all of the problems here. Someone still would run afoul of the moderation somehow, as we’ve seen.

What ended up happening to the Gulch and KA2 ultimately because of a anti-free speech idiot like bg is what made me start thinking about having an alternative forum. On top of this, most of us now can see Noah isn’t going to make things any better here lol. And if Allah leaves? The wheels are falling off.

non-nonpartisan on June 21, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Contrary to the rumors, I have not ummm, err, well, maybe, but probably not…

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Whacha up to?

Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 12:53 AM

6′ 1″ and 200lbs last time I checked…

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Good Times Bad Times

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 12:57 AM

I lived in NJ for 11 years as an adult, so yeah, I can imagine that.
My apologies to all of you SANE NJ-ans…
Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Newtie…but I’ve lived in the Peoples Republik of NJ for 65 years and you have to be crazy to stay here.

AppraisHer on June 21, 2014 at 12:57 AM

comfortably numb ….for ms Scrumpy… :)

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 12:58 AM

williamg on June 21, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Truly great!!

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:47 AM

….Hey, Scrumps!………..:-) !

williamg on June 21, 2014 at 12:59 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:55 AM

That depends on the neighbourhood one lives in, for the most, the sense of community was great! Got to know my neighbours, and once we knew each other well enough, we’d get together and BBQ and visit each other just to chat, you know, swap recipes etc…

Bars here do not have that social feel that english pubs do, or did, I have been away for many years now, local pubs tho don’t change that much…

I now live in an apt complex, it’s small, and folks here are not open to making friends so well, we say ‘Hi how are you’ and that’s about it…

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:00 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:55 AM

….hey, LH!…………:-)

williamg on June 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 12:53 AM

6′ 1″ and 200lbs last time I checked…

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 12:56 AM

I’m 6′ 2″ but that’s counting my propeller (when its off)

When its on I can get off the ground about an inch so I’m 6′ 3″

Either way I gotcha beat.

Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Immigrant Song

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM

OC! Thanks for the ghost story, fascinating !! :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM

How often does the ghost appear?

Scary

Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 1:02 AM

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Thank You!! :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:02 AM

What’s the history of the house?

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:49 AM

The man who owned it originally was a Railroad man who was murdered in the basement by his daughters fiance is the local legend. Something about a sexual indescreion, may have been an out of wedlock pregnancy… His widow lived here alone until her death, the house was sold and broke up into 3 apartments in the sixties during white-flight to the suburbs. We moved in in 2005 and are slowly restoring it. It has a beautiful black Italian marble fireplace and mantle in the front parlor/living room…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 1:03 AM

williamg on June 21, 2014 at 1

Hey, williamg! Good to see you. How are you tonight? Gonna’ spin us some good tunes? I tried doing it earlier, but I’m not you or RickB (which speaking of the devil, where is he tonight?)

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Dancing Days

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 1:04 AM

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 12:56 AM

I’m 6′ 2″ but that’s counting my propeller (when its off)

When its on I can get off the ground about an inch so I’m 6′ 3″

Either way I gotcha beat.

Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM

So does that mean that you also have relatives you think you are freakishly tall?

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Immigrant Song

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Nice to see you back and spinning tunes jaime :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Immigrant Song

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Led Zeppelin-The Rain Song

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:05 AM

G2M Coast to Coast is on ;D

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:00 AM

I’d have to agree. That’s how I saw it as well…that the UK had a closer sense of community. With the exception of perhaps the small towns in the US…the sense of community there is still pretty strong.

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Do you have an e-mail? Does Bmore have yours? Does Omaha?

Judge_Dredd on June 21, 2014 at 12:36 AM

You could use my name, without the dash, at gmail

non-nonpartisan on June 21, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Led Zeppelin-The Rain Song

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:05 AM

An all time fav of mine that song, just love it, ty for posting!! :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:05 AM

I love George… used to listen when I was driving home thru LA..
sometimes he gets some really weird birds..

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Kashmir

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 1:08 AM

non-nonpartisan on June 21, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Yea. I agree.

wolly4321 on June 21, 2014 at 1:08 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:06 AM

I would love to live in a smaller community here, I wanna live in farm country!! I love the wide open spaces, and everything to do with farms!! I grew up on farms in the UK…

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:08 AM

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 1:03 AM

(Sigh!!!) Just shut up now, okay, OC? I’m seriously melting into little envious puddles over here on the other side of this screen.

I bet it’s stunning, and a good fit for the character of the house, too.

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 1:02 AM

its not the cough that carries you off..
its the coffin they carry you off in…

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:10 AM

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Great song, oscar.

How’s your brother? Recovering well, I hope.

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 1:10 AM

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:07 AM

I have listened to CtoC since Art Bell, I was sad to see him leave, but George has done a great job of hosting!! Don’t always agree with some of what I hear, and some guests are well, kooky!! But then so am I lol :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:10 AM

now you know I did not write that…it rhymes..!!

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:11 AM

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Heh. My baby brother has both of you beat…6’7″.

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:11 AM

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Great song, oscar.

How’s your brother? Recovering well, I hope.

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Maybe… The idiot was doing so well, he decided to go to Mammoth Mountain… He claims he’s just going to sit around and watch his kids have fun. But I am going to be seriously pissed off at him if he hurts himself.

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:12 AM

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 1:03 AM

You have a stunning home, I am envious… :)

Enjoy it, and live long in it!!

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Do you actually want to farm or just live on a farm? Enjoy livestock? Ride horses?

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:10 AM

wow..long time listener…
hast George been there for like 20 years it seems?

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:13 AM

hasn’t George….sheesh

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:14 AM

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Heh. My baby brother has both of you beat…6’7″.

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Haa, I don’t think of myself as a particularly large man, but my nieces and nephews all think I am. Of course, they are on the, umm, shorter side…

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Coast to Coast is on ;D Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:05 AM

I wake up that early.

wolly4321 on June 21, 2014 at 1:14 AM

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:12 AM

LoL

We can only wish him the best, we can’t live his life for him. I hope he has the sense to take it easy.

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 1:15 AM

hasn’t George….sheesh

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:14 AM

George is 5 cans short of a six pack…

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Ramble On

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 1:16 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Oh just live near or on, I enjoy all aspects of farming, animals, plowing, planting, but now am not in a condition to do that. I would visit every day, horses cows hens pigs all of it!!

We had a dairy and sheep farm, raised chickens and sold eggs, had a few pigs, planted wheat and made hay, also had potato fields, it was a good life…

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:16 AM

@OmahaConservative :
NWS just issued a Severe Thunderstorm WARNING for the area immediately west of you.

listens2glenn on June 21, 2014 at 1:17 AM

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Well, my baby brother was the only one of the three of us siblings who got any height to speak of. My other brother and I are both at 5’6″.

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:17 AM

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:13 AM

12 I think now…

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Babe I’m Gonna Leave You

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Oh and there has to be Horses LH!! Most important…

I love everything about them…

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:18 AM

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 1:03 AM

You have a stunning home, I am envious… :)

Enjoy it, and live long in it!!

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Scrumpy.. he said someone was killed in the basement…
he is in that basement.. OC….now….that basement..!!
you know what happens to ppl who move to death houses…don’t ya.
wasn’t there a movie about such a thing??..
if OC becomes a Axe murder someday…
don’t come ask me how it happened..

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:19 AM

eon on June 21, 2014 at 12:14 AM

…thanks eon…that was informative!

JugEarsButtHurt on June 21, 2014 at 1:19 AM

I wake up that early.

wolly4321 on June 21, 2014 at 1:14 AM

I stay UP that late!! :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:20 AM

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:14 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Ah… Short people eh…

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:20 AM

listens2glenn on June 21, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Yup, local breaking news is on warning us. Strong winds are coming first…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 1:20 AM

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Thanks for the tunes.

Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Sounds charming! I can’t say that I know that much about farm life. I’m mostly a product of small town/suburban life myself (with a few years of mountain living thrown in for good measure)

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:20 AM

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:15 AM

George gets paid well to listen to loons all night…
perhaps its affecting him…some..
besides we listen to loons here all night for free…
what’s wrong with us is my question..

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:22 AM

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:20 AM

ROFL! I had forgotten about that song!

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Still bluegill free.
Whatever we did we better figure out how to do again.

wolly4321 on June 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:15 AM

George gets paid well to listen to loons all night…
perhaps its affecting him…some..
besides we listen to loons here all night for free…
what’s wrong with us is my question..

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Well, I don’t know about you, but I used to be a Rock Star, which means I’m certifiably nuts.

oscarwilde on June 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Scrumpy.. he said someone was killed in the basement…
he is in that basement.. OC….now….that basement..!!
you know what happens to ppl who move to death houses…don’t ya.
wasn’t there a movie about such a thing??..
if OC becomes a Axe murder someday…
don’t come ask me how it happened..

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:19 AM

I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran. We take the fifth commandment seriously…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:19 AM

He did say it was a ‘benign’ ghost!

I have had ghostly presences around me from time to time, tho of the animal variety, cats, specifically…

Harmless…

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 1:20 AM

You’re welcome, Parmenides. I hope you enjoy them.

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Still bluegill free.
Whatever we did we better figure out how to do again.

wolly4321 on June 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM

I think my posting ShainS’s link last night ran her off…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 1:24 AM

listens2glenn on June 21, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Yup, local breaking news is on warning us. Strong winds are coming first…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 1:20 AM

I think I already made a disclaimer about me not being a qualified meteorologist, but it has “derecho” written all over it.

Be interesting to see how far east it travels, before losing it’s energy.

listens2glenn on June 21, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:18 AM

So do I! Magnificent animals, IMO.

Have you ever seen that movie Horse Whisperer? With Robert Redford?

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:25 AM

That new storm is really moving fast…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 1:26 AM

When The Levee Breaks

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 1:26 AM

wolly4321 on June 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM

She snitched…she is a nasty piece of work.

She won’t be back for a while…

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Hey! Where are Dire and Schad?!!

Come on out you guys, Axe as well, come on out!! :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:27 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Oh I did, loved that movie, as a kid I read all the ‘horsey’ books I could lay my hands on, first horse I sat on I was 5 yrs old and it was a Clydesdale!! I felt like I was soaring!! Been hooked ever since, started really riding when I was 9 did the pony show circuit for a few years, then just rode for fun, love riding western, english is so stuffy for pleasure riding :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:31 AM

She snitched…she is a nasty piece of work.

She won’t be back for a while…

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:26 AM

am I the only one who saw the movie Sybil??

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 1:32 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 1:25 AM

My 3 fav breeds are Fresian, Clydsdales and Quarter horses…

My first pony was a Shetland…

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 1:33 AM