Quotes of the day

posted at 8:41 pm on June 20, 2014 by Allahpundit

Rand Paul is for the first time weighing in on the chaos in Iraq…

He leaves the question of targeted airstrikes open, saying there are “many questions” that need to be addressed before the U.S. proceeds: “What would airstrikes accomplish? We know that Iran is aiding the Iraqi government against ISIS. Do we want to, in effect, become Iran’s air force? What’s in this for Iran? Why should we choose a side, and if we do, who are we really helping?”

Asked whether he supports the president’s decision to send 300 military advisers to Iraq and continuing to aid the Iraqi army, Paul says he doesn’t “second guess” the decisions. But he couldn’t help himself, adding that the United States has for a decade now funneled aid the Iraqi army and “you gotta wonder what’s happened to all the money.”…

Though most foreign-policy experts have traced the current chaos to the Obama administration’s failure to negotiate a new Status of Forces Agreement with Iraqi prime minister Nouri al-Maliki, Paul says insurgents very well could have seized control of the country’s most important cities even if the U.S. had maintained its presence — and that it’s a good thing American soldiers aren’t getting caught in the crossfire right now. “This may well still have happened,” he says. “I think it’s probably fortunate that [American troops] weren’t there.”

***

Sen. Rand Paul intertwined his message against foreign aid on Friday with a message that appeals to the GOP’s social conservative base.

“There’s a war on Christianity going on, and sometimes you’re being asked to pay for it,” the Kentucky Republican said. “I say not one penny to any country that persecutes Christians.”…

The first-term senator blasted the Obama administration for arming rebels in Syria, some of whom have been reported to attack Christians…

Paul, however, said nothing of defending Christians who are currently being threatened in Iraq by Islamic militants, known as the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

***

What would airstrikes accomplish? We know that Iran is aiding the Iraqi government against ISIS. Do we want to, in effect, become Iran’s air force? What’s in this for Iran? Why should we choose a side, and if we do, who are we really helping?…

For the small group calling for boots on the ground—how can we ask our brave men and women to risk their lives for a country the Iraqis aren’t willing to fight for themselves? Iraqi soldiers are stripping off their uniforms and fleeing this fight. We shouldn’t ask our soldiers to put their uniforms on to take their places…

Many of those clamoring for military action now are the same people who made every false assumption imaginable about the cost, challenge and purpose of the Iraq war. They have been so wrong for so long. Why should we listen to them again?

Saying the mess in Iraq is President Obama’s fault ignores what President Bush did wrong. Saying it is President Bush’s fault is to ignore all the horrible foreign policy decisions in Syria, Libya, Egypt and elsewhere under President Obama, many of which may have contributed to the current crisis in Iraq. For former Bush officials to blame President Obama or for Democrats to blame President Bush only serves as a reminder that both sides continue to get foreign policy wrong. We need a new approach, one that emulates Reagan’s policies, puts America first, seeks peace, faces war reluctantly, and when necessary acts fully and decisively.

***

The Cheneys snarl about “appeasing our enemies,” “abandoning our allies,” and “apologizing for our great nation,” as if it was the 2004 Republican National Convention all over again. Paul, with the exception of one somewhat intemperate paragraph asking “Why should we listen to them again?”, approaches the question with an assumption of personal and national humility, a sense that American knowledge of (and power to shape) fluid events in the Middle East has limitations, as does American appetite for making the kind of commitments that the Cheneys of the world constantly seek…

This is a pretty clearly defined fork in the road for GOP foreign policy. As Rand Paul put it to me last August, when the elective war under debate was Syria, “We’re losing, on a good day, 70/30 among the Republicans [in the Senate]. But we win every day among the grassroots, probably 80/20, 90/10.” How—if at all—those numbers converge will tell us much about the fortunes of the Republican Party, and of the country.

***

Part of the rationale for giving people who got Iraq wrong last time the chance to explain why this intervention is different is that they may be right. Supporting the Iraq invasion was an unusually big mistake, but sooner or later, almost everyone who offers opinions about war makes mistakes. Ted Kennedy opposed overthrowing Manuel Noriega. Colin Powell opposed the Gulf War, as did most Democrats in Congress. Jimmy Carter thought it such a bad idea that he urged other nations to reject authorization for force at the UN. Michael Moore opposed NATO’s military intervention in Kosovo. The Nation called it a “careless, cowardly and destructive war.” In the run-up to the 2003 Iraq invasion, in fact, some hawks did exactly what Waldman is doing now. They urged the public to “ignore those who got it all wrong” when they opposed successful military actions in the 1990s.

If accurately forecasting the last war were a reliable guide to accurately forecasting the next one, foreign policy would be a lot simpler. In fact, American history is littered with people who looked prescient one moment and foolish the next: critics of World War I who therefore opposed American entry into World War II; champions of World War II who therefore supported America’s war in Vietnam; champions of the Balkan interventions who therefore supported America’s invasion of Iraq.

The point is that everyone—whether they got the last war right or not—should approach the next one with humility. Everyone should answer for his or her past mistakes but no one should be written out of the debate because of them. Judging by the past century of American foreign policy, it’s precisely when people are most confident history has proven them right that they’re most likely to be wrong.

***

This I know: America has made profound — and far more costly — mistakes at the beginning of virtually every war. The opening months of World War II were a national nightmare, rendered more palatable to the public only through large-scale censorship that sometimes blocked the American people’s knowledge of defeats that cost more lives in one night than America would lose in entire years in Iraq or Afghanistan. In the Korean War, profound diplomatic and intelligence failures led to headlong retreats and mass-scale slaughters of unprepared soldiers. In the Civil War, poor tactics and dreadful leadership almost destroyed the nation less than one century after its founding, as a Union with immense manpower and industrial benefits arguably came within a few improper orders and missed battlefield opportunities from crumbling in the face of the Army of Northern Virginia. The list of horrifying mistakes could go on, but — as I just said — war is hard, the enemy always has a vote, and sometimes only cruel experience can teach us the right lessons…

We are all responsible for our words and actions. Even though my influence is minimal (especially compared to my colleagues posting here on NRO and syndicated nationally) I sometimes agonize over individual words in blog posts. And I still think every day about the choices I made in Iraq. But if I’m responsible — as a supporter of the war from the beginning and a veteran of that same conflict — for what I say and do, so are the victory lappers. And I would not trade places with a group that helped manufacture the “war weariness” that gripped an American public that has, apart from a tiny minority, sacrificed nothing for this conflict and would continue to sacrifice nothing even if we maintained the small force in Iraq necessary to secure our gains.

You helped America leave, and in so doing, you helped waste the sacrifice of those few who served.

Your moral superiority is misplaced.

Your victory lap is grotesque.

***

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul told conservative activists Friday that hawkish Republicans have mistakenly concluded that U.S. military intervention is a sign of American strength…

“Reagan spoken often of peace through strength. I hear that some in our nation, some in our party have forgotten the first part of the sentence,” Paul said. “Peace should be our goal even as we build our strength. Some in my party have distorted the belief of peace through strength into the misguided belief that we should project strength through war.”

***

I think the same questions could be asked of those who supported the Iraq War. You know, were they right in their predictions? Were there weapons of mass destruction there? That’s what the war was sold on. Was democracy easily achievable? Was the war won in 2005, when many of these people said it was won? They didn’t really, I think, understand the civil war that would break out. And what’s going on now — I don’t blame on President Obama. Has he really got the solution? Maybe there is no solution. But I do blame the Iraq War on the chaos that is in the Middle East. I also blame those who are for the Iraq War for emboldening Iran.

***

Via MFP.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 11:31 PM

; )

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 11:43 PM

You were talking about a word which you believe doesn’t belong here, which has been allowed to remain because of replacement symbols. That helps me make the point I had in mind.

non-nonpartisan on June 20, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Wrong. Has nothing to do with replacement symbols. Has everything to do with who the commenters are. Not trolls either.

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Good Night Doc Holliday, Sleep Well.

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 11:44 PM

G’night COL & Doc…

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Doc Holliday on June 20, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Good night, Doc!

lineholder on June 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Still having a wee bit of trouble with that whole quote thingy eh? Well keep practicing it will come.

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 11:46 PM

We all know that MG is the ethereal supernatural goddess of moon light and all that is phantasmagorical beyond the lunary sphere.

Her bosom guides the cosmos and her legs stride the heavens in a sultry way that leaves scattered light in its wake.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 11:47 PM

crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 11:37 PM

I was fluent in Hebrew as a kid-but I’ve lost most of it.
If I want to visit Israel-I’d better brush up on it.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 20, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Women aren’t supposed to wear kippahs.
Only the fembots do that. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on June 20, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Good Night Doc!

KCB on June 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM

evening HA kids..
hope you are all well..

going2mars on June 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 11:46 PM

When you have to delete a bunch of stuff tha is not applicable to the response it’s easy to get confused. :)

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Well, again my apologies for the mischief and any trouble I have been this evening. For those of you who pray. Please, something nice for my young friend Stedman.

Good Night All.

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM

You’ll get there. ; )

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Phil Collins – Take Me With You

lineholder on June 20, 2014 at 11:50 PM

agree with you about what I think should get banned here. But when the flags aren’t as obvious to the mods as a racial slur for example, they let stuff fly which you and I think should earn some posters the banhammer. Lourdes defamation of cozmo would be an example of this-that kind of stuff shouldn’t be tolerated here. non-nonpartisan on June 20, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Why aren’t the flags as obvious?

All I did was post a link to an Eisenhower act. That I can google on wikipedia, but can’t post here..

I’ve been here long enough to see the difference.

wolly4321 on June 20, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Hagfish has been awful quiet these last two nights…

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Good Night!

KCB on June 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM

I went to purgatory with ALT because of a wikipedia link.

She’s telling you the truth.

wolly4321 on June 20, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I never questioned that. I only meant that what the mods find bannable can easily be gotten around.

non-nonpartisan on June 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Done and done, Bmore.

Good night and God bless!

lineholder on June 20, 2014 at 11:53 PM

G’night Bmore…

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Hey Newtie.
For Newtie’s wood pile.
Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 11:35 PM

*smooooch!*

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Power windows will be on a 20A circuit breaker, probably on a panel just inside the driver’s door on the side of the dash.
slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Those mega-fuses are in the engine compartment, though…

Helluva place to put the fuse for the horn, I swear o_O

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Great comment from the conspiracy thread:

“I think it’s fair that we recognize that software moves on and that archiving in a digital age is not as easy as it might seem to the public,”

If they can’t even do a required back up, how in the hell did they think they could run a healthcare website. SCFOAMF.

oprockwell on June 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Niters and sleep well, Doc and COL!

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Hagfish has been awful quiet these last two nights…

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 11:51 PM

They are called victory laps.

KCB on June 20, 2014 at 11:56 PM

thirsty….BRB

<——-AFK

lineholder on June 20, 2014 at 11:58 PM

She is lurking, then dropping and running.

KCB on June 20, 2014 at 11:58 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 20, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 11:44 PM

How was I wrong about the point I’m making? lol This was your quote-did I misrepresent it?

As I have said before. There are several here that use a particular word that has no business on a conservative blog. The bare minimum of letters replaced with symbols. Those comments stand to this day and so do the commenters.

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:58 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 20, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Good Night All.
Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Niters and sleep well, Bmore. Prayers ascending for your friend, Stedman!

As for the other, well, you’re entitled ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 20, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Are you going to wear a sombrero or a yamaka? LOL

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Which would look best with a bunny-suit ?

listens2glenn on June 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Here again!!

Hagfish has been awful quiet these last two nights…

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Since she ‘outed’ OW as SW, neither he nor she has been here, I have been lurking :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Good Night and God Bless Bmore and sure, prayers for your friend Stedman :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:58 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 20, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Now now you two, quit quibbling over silly stuff :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:02 AM

This storm is pounding and relentless. Hasn’t stopped since it started raining…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Which would look best with a bunny-suit ?

listens2glenn on June 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Haha. Well the Sombrero would get in the way of those big ears. (:

Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 12:05 AM

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Hope you and the kittehs heads are not pounding OC :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:06 AM

ever questioned that. I only meant that what the mods find bannable can easily be gotten around. This is how I see it. The mods have banned people for trolling, like Lanceman or Panther, while others have be able continue with their trolling, not so much because they are treating them differently but because these trolls know how to do their trolling more subtly. Dealing with this kind of trolling takes a liitle work, but the mods want to work as little as possible-they focus on the “obvious” violations, and let the rest get by. non-nonpartisan on June 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM

I think that’s a problem. Personally, I’d rather not tapdance with polite. Just say what I mean.

I’m good with progs here doing that too.

I’ve seen good folks vanish for silly shite. While vile trolls stood.

And we know why.

wolly4321 on June 21, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Now now you two, quit quibbling over silly stuff :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Hey Scrumpy. Honestly, I am only trying to understand where we differ. I am not sure we are even disagreeing. And if it ends up that we are somehow, I won’t fight about it. =)

non-nonpartisan on June 21, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Hope you and the kittehs heads are not pounding OC :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:06 AM

LOLZ! Ratso is curled up here on the couch with his paws over his eyes. Kitten is in bed with lady oc, watching the telly…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM

OW DID have something under construction earlier this week–maybe it came through?

Newtie and the Beauty on June 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM

This storm is pounding and relentless. Hasn’t stopped since it started raining…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Tin roof?

There was a house that I looked at buying once. Back up in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Wood burning stove. Almost 50% of the square footage was in the porch….tall windows with screens, and a tin roof. Fire place at one end. Beautiful setting. Stream on the back of the property.

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM

This storm is pounding and relentless. Hasn’t stopped since it started raining…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:04 AM

I just ran to the National Weather Service radar out of Omaha, after reading that, and they’ve got the “Flood WARNING” box right on Omaha.

Looks like you’ve had “training” of storm cells, right over you.

listens2glenn on June 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Good night Hot Air!

KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Kitten is in bed with lady oc, watching the telly…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM

That’s one smart Kitten!!

Hang tough, hope the worst is over for the night, stay safe :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Haha. Well the Sombrero would get in the way of those big ears. (:
Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Then that leaves the yarmulke…wait…two problems:

Where would the bobby pins go?

Girls don’t wear yarmulkes.

Tricky.

Newtie and the Beauty on June 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on June 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I asked him about that yesterday, Newtie. He said it would be a week or two before he knew anything definite.

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on June 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I surely hope so NatB!! :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Good night Hot Air!
KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Niters and sleep well, Ken!

Newtie and the Beauty on June 21, 2014 at 12:11 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM

1882 Queen Anne house with a beautiful copper ceiling in the dining room…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Ed is on Cam and Company on Sirius Patriot channel… :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:12 AM

KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Good night, Ken!

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on June 21, 2014 at 12:11 AM

*SMOOCH!*

KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM

KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Good Night Ken!! God Bless :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Bye ken!

coolrepublica on June 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM

But you’re not supposed to be able to see Invisi-Ratso! I mean, he can’t see you so you can’t see him!

Theoretically, anyway…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Great read from the Wretchard:

Private Worlds

…President Obama is finding to his surprise that his deconstruction of America cuts both ways. After convincing voters that America never had any strategic interests in Iraq, he can scarcely muster any argument for doing anything there. If any Mexican can come across the border to become “American” then there’s no reason why said “Americans” should obey him, and not the president of Mexico. After all the president of Mexico speaks Spanish and Obama doesn’t…

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Well put. I suspect he knows he’s also describing the way Rome fell.

The Roman Empire separated into the Western and Eastern (Byzantine) Empires in the late 4th and early 5th Centuries AD. By 600 AD the Western empire was gone, having been overrun by the Franks, Goths, and Lombards. (The latter actually controlled most of Italy.)

The Byzantine Empire by that time extended through most of what is now the Mideast, and along the North African coast and across the Strait of Gibraltar into southern Spain (then known as Iberia). The Sassanid and Lakhmid kingdoms were what is now eastern Iran, and the Arabian Peninsula was considered a place nobody in the right mind went because it was full of…Arabs.

South of the Byzantine “strip” in North Africa (the same land the British 8th Army would battle the Italians and Rommel’s Afrika Corps for 1,342 years later), the Sahara was controlled by the Berbers and a tribe/clan called the Garamantes. They and the Berbers didn’t like each other, but the Berbers had the Garamantes outnumbered about four to one, so you can guess how that ended, I’m sure.

By 800 AD the Byzantines had lost all of the Mideast, North Africa, and Iberia to the Islamic armies that went rampaging west in the first century after Mohammed. They were also pushed south and east into what is now Turkey by the Serbs and Croats. (Where have we heard that before?)

By 900 AD the Omayyad Empire, the actual caliphate, controlled all of the Mideast, North Africa, and Spain, as well as extending eastward into the Indian subcontinent. The Byzantine Empire would hang on in a steadily-decreasing area centered on Turkey until it finally split into a soup-pot of squabbling independent kingdoms about 1200 AD.

The point of this is that Islam has always been at once a unifying and a dividing force. It is aggressive toward non-Islamic “neighbors”, but internal internecine warfare is what happens when the “Caliphate” has no external enemies to make war upon.

As for the West, once governments became over-centralized, the citizenry was disarmed, and the bureaucracy of the central government became mainly interested in perpetuating itself- it taxed itself to death, and when the barbarians came to loot, there was no one to tell them “no”.

Which is exactly what Wretchard was talking about happening today.

Arnold Toynbee may have had some problems (notably his anti-Semitism),but his theory of long historical cycles and the rise and fall of empires still seems valid. Empires begin, they grow, they reach a peak, and then there is the “Time of Troubles”, followed by the Fall, and then the interregnum before the rise of the next empire.

I think we are well into the Time of Troubles now. Not least because, according to Toynbee, that period is distinguished by the corruption, cynicism, and often psychotic behavior of the ruling classes. Which accurately describes what we see in our “ruling classes” today.

Among other things, they worry less about foreign enemies, and more about preserving their power over their own populace at any cost. Which is what we see today.

I don’t insist on it, but well, there it is.

Thank you for all the nice comments earlier, folks. (I was OL for a while, and just got back.) Just so you know, I’m not a teacher, but I’ve always loved history.

Good night, all. Sleep well.

cheers

eon

eon on June 21, 2014 at 12:14 AM

*SMOOCH!* to you lineholder! Manana!

KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Hang tough, hope the worst is over for the night, stay safe :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

2 AM is when we are really supposed to get hammered…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Bye ken!

coolrepublica on June 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Smooches!

KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:16 AM

1882 Queen Anne house with a beautiful copper ceiling in the dining room…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Awwwww, man. Seriously? Ceiling height? Original wainscoting? Bay windows?

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:16 AM

*SMOOCH!*
KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM

*smooooch!* :-D

Newtie and the Beauty on June 21, 2014 at 12:17 AM

ripples..

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Good Night Ken!! God Bless :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM

You are special! Good night Dear! {{HUGS and SMOOCHES!}}

KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Good night, all. Sleep well.

cheers

eon

eon on June 21, 2014 at 12:14 AM

I like reading your History ‘lessons’ :)

Good Night eon!!

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:18 AM

eon on June 21, 2014 at 12:14 AM

I didn’t know that, Eon!

Niters and sleep well!

Newtie and the Beauty on June 21, 2014 at 12:18 AM

My lips are chapped….

KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Why aren’t the flags as obvious?

I’ve been here long enough to see the difference.

wolly4321 on June 20, 2014 at 11:51 PM

If I use the word “b!tch” with an “i” and without an exclamation point, it goes into moderation. That’s a flag. If I only insinuate what HA considers a “swear word” without using the exact “flagged” word, I could get away with it. I see it happen all the time.

This is how I see the moderation working here. I believe the smarter trolls understand this kind of “subtle” approach, which is they are still here and some others who have trolled have been banned. I don’t believe they are still here because the mods favor them in any way, because of the traffic these trolls generate.

If you don’t agree with me, that’s fine. If I thought what you have been saying about the moderation to be the truth, I never would have registered here.

non-nonpartisan on June 21, 2014 at 12:18 AM

KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:15 AM

[blushing} Sweet dreams, Ken!

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Which would look best with a bunny-suit ?

listens2glenn on June 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Haha. Well the Sombrero would get in the way of those big ears. (:

Parmenides on June 21, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Can’t you cut holes for ‘em? … Seems to me I remember Bugs Bunny wearing a sombrero, in one episode.

But you can get away with nearly anything … in an animated cartoon.

listens2glenn on June 21, 2014 at 12:18 AM

KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:17 AM

As are you Ken!! {{Hugs and smooches}} :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Awwwww, man. Seriously? Ceiling height? Original wainscoting? Bay windows?

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Yep to all. 12 ft ceiling. When we moved in it had a dropped 8 ft ceiling with acoustic tiles…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM

KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:18 AM

I have some honeyed balm for them Ken ;)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM

hey Scrumpy. Honestly, I am only trying to understand where we differ. I am not sure we are even disagreeing. And if it ends up that we are somehow, I won’t fight about it. =) non-nonpartisan on June 21, 2014 at 12:07 AM

We aren’t disagreeing.
We just don’t like seeing empty chairs of others that didn’t disagree.

Swalker bought it for talking about lamp posts.

I think about it daily. Ried, schumer..

The list is long.

He just spoke honestly. Can I?

The left can here. Calling us every name in the book.

wolly4321 on June 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Good night, eon!

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM

How wonderful to live in such an amazing home, You are fortunate and blessed :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:22 AM

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Dang! I love old houses…the architecture of them and the pride that went into the work…

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:23 AM

OC, which one comes close to looking like your home?

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:24 AM

I have some honeyed balm for them Ken ;)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM

*whispers* Thank you….

KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:24 AM

KCB on June 21, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Most welcome Ken :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:24 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:23 AM

I agree, all that gingerbread and the angles and the porches, and oh, such amazing houses!!

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:26 AM

los endos

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 12:28 AM

wolly4321 on June 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Speaking of which, I have seen that in many forms used almost daily on some threads here, blatently, not hidden wolly…

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:26 AM

What I’ve seen here in the US is nothing compared to the architecture of some of the dwellings in England. I was in Scarborough for three months, about 3/4 mile N of town.

Greatly enjoyed going over to York and to Robin Hood’s Bay and Newcastle. So many gorgeous structures!!!

I really wanted to go over into the Lake Country, but this was during that mad cow outbreak.

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:31 AM

. If I thought what you have been saying about the moderation to be the truth, I never would have registered here. non-nonpartisan on June 21, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Patterns take time to recognize.

wolly4321 on June 21, 2014 at 12:32 AM

OC, which one comes close to looking like your home?

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:24 AM

The one on the right…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:32 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:23 AM

We have a benign ghost here…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM

I’m good with progs here doing that too.

I’ve seen good folks vanish for silly shite. While vile trolls stood.

And we know why.

wolly4321 on June 21, 2014 at 12:07 AM

We are in complete agreement.

I hate the trolling socks, because they are frauds who only want thread derailment. They don’t want to have real discussions. They could be being paid for all we know-their behavior would be no different. They don’t deserve to be here. But they know and exploit the mods’ “weakness.”

I see the HA mods as a sort of a Deist God-they wound they clock, and they want to interfere as little as possible. Lourdes didn’t use a bannable word against cozmo. That would have been easy, a no-brainer for them. But to analyze Lourdes’ libelous content against cozmo? That would take some, not much, but some thought and time, and they’d rather not be bothered. I think they saw it is typical fighting on HA, and let it go.

non-nonpartisan on June 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Arnold, are you there?

jaime on June 21, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Hang tough, hope the worst is over for the night, stay safe :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

2 AM is when we are really supposed to get hammered…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:15 AM

The worst seems to have just passed Columbus.

The whole thing, to this non-meteorologist, looks like it’s forming up as a “derecho”.

listens2glenn on June 21, 2014 at 12:34 AM

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Every county in England has some wonderful old houses and buildings, my favourites have always been the thatched cottages, plentiful in the west country.

Here is a link for you to peruse through of England and nearly all counties and towns!! Hope you enjoy it LH!!

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:34 AM

don’t stop me now…

going2mars on June 21, 2014 at 12:35 AM

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Do you? How can you tell?

lineholder on June 21, 2014 at 12:35 AM

non-nonpartisan on June 21, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Do you have an e-mail? Does Bmore have yours? Does Omaha?

Judge_Dredd on June 21, 2014 at 12:36 AM

We have a benign ghost here…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Oh OC!! Do tell about your ghost, pretty please ;)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:36 AM

The worst seems to have just passed Columbus.

listens2glenn on June 21, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Oh, is it already in Columbus? Is it breaking up or still headed here?

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Judge_Dredd on June 21, 2014 at 12:36 AM

I believe OC does Judge… You did at one point :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:37 AM

I believe OC does Judge… You did at one point :)

Scrumpy on June 21, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Not you hun. Non-nonpartisan.

Judge_Dredd on June 21, 2014 at 12:38 AM

listens2glenn on June 21, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Oh, is it already in Columbus? Is it breaking up or still headed here?

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Moving your way, and it don’t appear to be “breaking up.”

listens2glenn on June 21, 2014 at 12:39 AM