Quotes of the day

posted at 8:41 pm on June 20, 2014 by Allahpundit

Rand Paul is for the first time weighing in on the chaos in Iraq…

He leaves the question of targeted airstrikes open, saying there are “many questions” that need to be addressed before the U.S. proceeds: “What would airstrikes accomplish? We know that Iran is aiding the Iraqi government against ISIS. Do we want to, in effect, become Iran’s air force? What’s in this for Iran? Why should we choose a side, and if we do, who are we really helping?”

Asked whether he supports the president’s decision to send 300 military advisers to Iraq and continuing to aid the Iraqi army, Paul says he doesn’t “second guess” the decisions. But he couldn’t help himself, adding that the United States has for a decade now funneled aid the Iraqi army and “you gotta wonder what’s happened to all the money.”…

Though most foreign-policy experts have traced the current chaos to the Obama administration’s failure to negotiate a new Status of Forces Agreement with Iraqi prime minister Nouri al-Maliki, Paul says insurgents very well could have seized control of the country’s most important cities even if the U.S. had maintained its presence — and that it’s a good thing American soldiers aren’t getting caught in the crossfire right now. “This may well still have happened,” he says. “I think it’s probably fortunate that [American troops] weren’t there.”

***

Sen. Rand Paul intertwined his message against foreign aid on Friday with a message that appeals to the GOP’s social conservative base.

“There’s a war on Christianity going on, and sometimes you’re being asked to pay for it,” the Kentucky Republican said. “I say not one penny to any country that persecutes Christians.”…

The first-term senator blasted the Obama administration for arming rebels in Syria, some of whom have been reported to attack Christians…

Paul, however, said nothing of defending Christians who are currently being threatened in Iraq by Islamic militants, known as the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

***

What would airstrikes accomplish? We know that Iran is aiding the Iraqi government against ISIS. Do we want to, in effect, become Iran’s air force? What’s in this for Iran? Why should we choose a side, and if we do, who are we really helping?…

For the small group calling for boots on the ground—how can we ask our brave men and women to risk their lives for a country the Iraqis aren’t willing to fight for themselves? Iraqi soldiers are stripping off their uniforms and fleeing this fight. We shouldn’t ask our soldiers to put their uniforms on to take their places…

Many of those clamoring for military action now are the same people who made every false assumption imaginable about the cost, challenge and purpose of the Iraq war. They have been so wrong for so long. Why should we listen to them again?

Saying the mess in Iraq is President Obama’s fault ignores what President Bush did wrong. Saying it is President Bush’s fault is to ignore all the horrible foreign policy decisions in Syria, Libya, Egypt and elsewhere under President Obama, many of which may have contributed to the current crisis in Iraq. For former Bush officials to blame President Obama or for Democrats to blame President Bush only serves as a reminder that both sides continue to get foreign policy wrong. We need a new approach, one that emulates Reagan’s policies, puts America first, seeks peace, faces war reluctantly, and when necessary acts fully and decisively.

***

The Cheneys snarl about “appeasing our enemies,” “abandoning our allies,” and “apologizing for our great nation,” as if it was the 2004 Republican National Convention all over again. Paul, with the exception of one somewhat intemperate paragraph asking “Why should we listen to them again?”, approaches the question with an assumption of personal and national humility, a sense that American knowledge of (and power to shape) fluid events in the Middle East has limitations, as does American appetite for making the kind of commitments that the Cheneys of the world constantly seek…

This is a pretty clearly defined fork in the road for GOP foreign policy. As Rand Paul put it to me last August, when the elective war under debate was Syria, “We’re losing, on a good day, 70/30 among the Republicans [in the Senate]. But we win every day among the grassroots, probably 80/20, 90/10.” How—if at all—those numbers converge will tell us much about the fortunes of the Republican Party, and of the country.

***

Part of the rationale for giving people who got Iraq wrong last time the chance to explain why this intervention is different is that they may be right. Supporting the Iraq invasion was an unusually big mistake, but sooner or later, almost everyone who offers opinions about war makes mistakes. Ted Kennedy opposed overthrowing Manuel Noriega. Colin Powell opposed the Gulf War, as did most Democrats in Congress. Jimmy Carter thought it such a bad idea that he urged other nations to reject authorization for force at the UN. Michael Moore opposed NATO’s military intervention in Kosovo. The Nation called it a “careless, cowardly and destructive war.” In the run-up to the 2003 Iraq invasion, in fact, some hawks did exactly what Waldman is doing now. They urged the public to “ignore those who got it all wrong” when they opposed successful military actions in the 1990s.

If accurately forecasting the last war were a reliable guide to accurately forecasting the next one, foreign policy would be a lot simpler. In fact, American history is littered with people who looked prescient one moment and foolish the next: critics of World War I who therefore opposed American entry into World War II; champions of World War II who therefore supported America’s war in Vietnam; champions of the Balkan interventions who therefore supported America’s invasion of Iraq.

The point is that everyone—whether they got the last war right or not—should approach the next one with humility. Everyone should answer for his or her past mistakes but no one should be written out of the debate because of them. Judging by the past century of American foreign policy, it’s precisely when people are most confident history has proven them right that they’re most likely to be wrong.

***

This I know: America has made profound — and far more costly — mistakes at the beginning of virtually every war. The opening months of World War II were a national nightmare, rendered more palatable to the public only through large-scale censorship that sometimes blocked the American people’s knowledge of defeats that cost more lives in one night than America would lose in entire years in Iraq or Afghanistan. In the Korean War, profound diplomatic and intelligence failures led to headlong retreats and mass-scale slaughters of unprepared soldiers. In the Civil War, poor tactics and dreadful leadership almost destroyed the nation less than one century after its founding, as a Union with immense manpower and industrial benefits arguably came within a few improper orders and missed battlefield opportunities from crumbling in the face of the Army of Northern Virginia. The list of horrifying mistakes could go on, but — as I just said — war is hard, the enemy always has a vote, and sometimes only cruel experience can teach us the right lessons…

We are all responsible for our words and actions. Even though my influence is minimal (especially compared to my colleagues posting here on NRO and syndicated nationally) I sometimes agonize over individual words in blog posts. And I still think every day about the choices I made in Iraq. But if I’m responsible — as a supporter of the war from the beginning and a veteran of that same conflict — for what I say and do, so are the victory lappers. And I would not trade places with a group that helped manufacture the “war weariness” that gripped an American public that has, apart from a tiny minority, sacrificed nothing for this conflict and would continue to sacrifice nothing even if we maintained the small force in Iraq necessary to secure our gains.

You helped America leave, and in so doing, you helped waste the sacrifice of those few who served.

Your moral superiority is misplaced.

Your victory lap is grotesque.

***

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul told conservative activists Friday that hawkish Republicans have mistakenly concluded that U.S. military intervention is a sign of American strength…

“Reagan spoken often of peace through strength. I hear that some in our nation, some in our party have forgotten the first part of the sentence,” Paul said. “Peace should be our goal even as we build our strength. Some in my party have distorted the belief of peace through strength into the misguided belief that we should project strength through war.”

***

I think the same questions could be asked of those who supported the Iraq War. You know, were they right in their predictions? Were there weapons of mass destruction there? That’s what the war was sold on. Was democracy easily achievable? Was the war won in 2005, when many of these people said it was won? They didn’t really, I think, understand the civil war that would break out. And what’s going on now — I don’t blame on President Obama. Has he really got the solution? Maybe there is no solution. But I do blame the Iraq War on the chaos that is in the Middle East. I also blame those who are for the Iraq War for emboldening Iran.

***

Via MFP.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 8

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM

He’s living out of a backpack. no room for Hummels. I’ll take a tee shirt, some Viennese dark chocolate-and help planning my trip next year.
*He also needs to get something for his half-brother.*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM

lineholder on June 20, 2014 at 10:14 PM

You talking’ to me? Cause I don’t see any other Doc Hollidays in here…

Doc Holliday on June 20, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Underrated………..

williamg on June 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Richard Thompson – 1952 Vincent Black Lightning

Hatless

kcewa on June 20, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Bmore wrote earlier:

Allow me to pose two points for everyone’s consideration. Point #1 Do you all really think HA cares about the comments section here. Point #2 Would not surprise me in the least if we all wake up one morning and the comments section is gone! ; )

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Now there’s a thought. Me taking Hotair off of my favorites in the YAHOO box. And never returning.

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:17 PM

All we had to do was finish the renewal of the SOFA. Most of the important stuff was already done before Obama was even sworn in. The only meaningful details remaining were troop levels and immunity.

Our people in Iraq now say Obama would never give them a number to ask for, so they couldn’t negotiate the troop levels. They were constantly asking Washington and never got any guidance.

~~

Obama has tried to blame Maliki for the refusal to give immunity to our troops, claiming that killed the deal. But Maliki had the same position in 2008, and we made him back down because he knew he needed our presence. It was all for public show then and before.

All he had to do was skip a few rounds of golf and video games and do his freaking job. It was too much trouble for Obama.

It is all his fault.

~~

Rand Paul will never be on a national Republican ticket. Stop paying attention to this little freak.

Adjoran on June 20, 2014 at 10:17 PM

bluegill on June 20, 2014 at 10:13 PM

just get out of here! Just go away!

annoyinglittletwerp on June 20, 2014 at 10:17 PM

you crk cm ebmorcmt wortdhkss pekik oa hyemb ircptoo stupen to rkchezk fust dow dctkn you crk

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM

You are right on!! ^5

Scrumpy on June 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:17 PM

My Disqus avatar already show up in the preview box. I figure its only a matter of time before they switch over.

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Doc Holliday on June 20, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Okay, I don’t know if you saw it, but I had posted some info on another evening about a friend of mine in AL. She and her husband are active in politics there. You can find out a little about her here.

I told her that you lived in AL and she said she’s always interested in meeting fellow AL patriots. You can contact her via FB, if you like.

She’s inside the precinct committee in Shelby county (I think that’s right)

lineholder on June 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM

ConservativePatriot ‏@BluegillRises Jun 19

@HeIIfire do I know you? I’m sorry if you have me confused with someone else. I’m done here. Good day to you.

ConservativePatriot ‏@BluegillRises 6h

@HeIIfire “oh, Noah! Look at me! Look at this screen shot I made for you, buddy. *winky face*” same old kissy, kissy bmore, like on HotAir

Folks, you just can’t make this shit up.

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Cozmo, Honey, are you using the same substitution cipher for all of your posts? Meaning, if a letter is “A = E” in one post, then “A = E” in all of your posts?

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM

*He also needs to get something for his half-brother.*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Did someone say they wanted Hummels? My wife inherited a garage full from her grandpa. Not sure where they are now I think my daughter has them.

kcewa on June 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM

‘Bout right.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 20, 2014 at 10:20 PM

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 10:09 PM

You have more coming after this round passes. Check the last link of Newtie’s post at 10:13.

Barred on June 20, 2014 at 10:20 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I noticed that too.

kcewa on June 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I noticed that too! I thought something was wrong! Man if this place goes Disqus, goodbye, all. I won’t be back.

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Waiting for the link to become more dispersed. Then other details can be worked out. I didn’t have that many email addresses.

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM

usually, weather watches, OC; red boxes are warnings. Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM

There’s a legend at the bottom of the map.
Yellow boxes are thunderstorm, red are tornado.
Both warnings.

wolly4321 on June 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM

*He also needs to get something for his half-brother.*
annoyinglittletwerp on June 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM

In Deutschland, post offices are called “bundesposts”…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM

I’ve read a number of Noah’s articles and tweets today and must say I’m beginning to have my doubts about this particular Pajama Boy Experiment.

ROCnPhilly on June 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM

You could say that this is a weird side effect of decades of legally enforced acceptance of non discriminatory laws on America. Hot Air is as business, it is not a social club or a Conservative blog. It stopped being a Conservative Blog the day Michelle Malkin sold it, and it became a federally regulated communications industry corporation. All of America’s federally regulated and mandatory anti discrimination laws are now in full effect at Hot Air.

Noah is a writer. Noah is a employee of a federally regulated communications industry corporation. Noah is not a Conservative, he’s a writer. Like Ed and Allahpundit, this is his day job. Noah writes to a specific target market, in his case, like Ed, that target market isn’t Conservatives, it’s middle of the road squishy moderate Americans. Salem Communications, the parent corporation of Hot Air believes that that is the largest target market in American politics. This is about MONEY, not politics, politics is just the vehicle.

oscarwilde on June 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM

She’s inside the precinct committee in Shelby county (I think that’s right)

lineholder on June 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Ah yes, thanks for the link. I’ll take a look. Im not too far from Shelby county. Can’t make any promises though as I am always busy with work.

Doc Holliday on June 20, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Folks, you just can’t make this shit up.

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM

No kidding. “Conservative patriot” and Bluegill is an oxymoron. And a regular one as well.

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Yup…

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 10:23 PM

ConservativePatriot ‏@BluegillRises 6h

Folks, you just can’t make this shit up.

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM

bg is impersonating you on twitter?

Scrumpy on June 20, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Point #3. We all wake up with buckets glued to our heads except for me.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Beautiful.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 20, 2014 at 10:24 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM

No clue what your code is but I’m sure I understood this completely, LOL! And agree!

Somebody’s Disqus avatar shows up in my previews too. But it isn’t mine. I don’t even have a Disqus avatar. Maybe they’re assigning me one? Or they have me confused with someone else.

Shay on June 20, 2014 at 10:24 PM

oscarwilde on June 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM

I think so, too. I think Salem keeps a couple sites (Human Events, Red State, etc.) alive for the sake of appealing to Conservatives. But the rest will be moving to the moderate portion of the political spectrum.

lineholder on June 20, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Barred on June 20, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Yep. Saw that. Guess we are sleeping in the basement tonight…

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I won’t be back.

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Yup…

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Look at who gets banned and who doesn’t.

They don’t care about most of the people here.

Their target audience now is the hagfish and lourdes type.

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

There’s a legend at the bottom of the map.
Yellow boxes are thunderstorm, red are tornado.
Both warnings.

wolly4321 on June 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Didn’t he say he was color blind?

crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Your Disqus avatar shows up in everyone’s preview box.

Puts some pants on.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM

If HA goes Disqus I will never come back. What do websites see in it? Is there a payoff involved?

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM

I have two disqus avatars.
I just tried preview.
It’s the old one that shows up-but when did they start doing that? That’s new.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Didn’t he say he was color blind?

crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Yep, he sure did…

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

That was good.

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Anyone else glad it is Friday? Today is both real Friday and work Friday for me–excellent! Work has been insanely busy. The theme of the week–Overdoses. I’ve admitted at least 10 of them, and several are now in DT’s. What the hell? This is the most overdosing town in America.

Doc Holliday on June 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I vote for nuts. She has one sock for every voice in her head.

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Lemme ask you: You’re an OFA/MM troll. Paid or unpaid. Would a sane person do that? Sane in the conventional sense that is. Let’s look at coolrethuglica or KochForBrains. Are they capable of flashes of intelligence? Sure. You cannot be intelligent and vote democrat. Plain and simple. Democrats appeal to baser emotions. Nothing more. UNLESS you’re in the upper power-structure and those types do not “troll”. They havent the time.

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:13 PM

There is more than one person/group running socks here. I am not convinced yet that she’s a paid one.

I do agree she’s a flippin’ nut whether she’s paid to be a troll or not. Much of the bizarre stuff she says would not come from a “normal” mind, even one who’s trying to create some kind of “crazy” fake persona.

non-nonpartisan on June 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

One of the best commentators and certainly the most smooch-able got hit with the ban hammer recently. My propeller is a bit crooked now.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM

What’s wrong with it?

crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM

What do websites see in it?
slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM

It relieves smaller places of spending time moderating.

It lets larger places get cheap and lazy. Draw from that what you will.

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:29 PM

ok back to ________________________________>AFK :)

Scrumpy on June 20, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Doc Holliday on June 20, 2014 at 10:22 PM

That’s fine, Doc. Here’s my impression of the group in AL…

They’ve had more success than most with the Precinct Project strategy. They’ve established a degree of influence in the state. They’re a relatively tight knit group who communicate back and forth between them to stay informed of what’s going on in AL.

If you’re interested in being part of that contact chain, then she’s a good person to work with! None better!

lineholder on June 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM

What’s Disqus?

DemetriusPhalerum on June 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM

bg is impersonating you on twitter?

Scrumpy on June 20, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Lanceman thought bg was cdseleven. He might be right.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Look at who gets banned and who doesn’t.

They don’t care about most of the people here.

Their target audience now is the hagfish and lourdes type.

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

It’s all becoming clear now.

Your Disqus avatar shows up in everyone’s preview box.

Puts some pants on.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

MY avatar is holding a 3 pack of 1 liter eurovac bags from Home Depot.

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM

What’s wrong with it?

crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Everyone can post, no limits…

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Didn’t he say he was color blind?
crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

I posted three NOAA links–OC has info out the wazoo, colour-blind or not ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Everyone can post, no limits…

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Why is that bad?

crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Everyone can post, no limits…
OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM

You can still be banned, even by IP address…

Been there, done that…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Desperately seeking Susan…T.

KCB on June 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM

What system does Ace use? It seems to be better than Disqus and posts quickly…

Doc Holliday on June 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM

What’s wrong with it?

crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM

While it can be used on many different sites, it seems clunky and and difficult to follow threads.

Especially fast moving ones.

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

MY avatar is holding a 3 pack of 1 liter eurovac bags from Home Depot.

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Hilarious.

Wait till Ken finds out someone actually wanted to steal his identity.

Finally he can feel needed.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Especially fast moving ones.

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM

I don’t even attempt to follow comments at Breitbart sites. They move blindingly fast…

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 10:34 PM

DemetriusPhalerum on June 20, 2014

It’s a pre-formatted comment system. They use it at a lot of sites now (see Twitchy and Breitbart for examples) Centralized ID, broad access…bad side it is that privacy is impacted, it bogs down sites with high traffic, and mods have less individual control.

I have….three monikers…one at TH, one here, and one for Disqus that I use just about everywhere else.

lineholder on June 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM

What’s wrong with it?

crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Bcs KenninCT will be back. With all his “buddies.” And as far as I know Disqus comments can be moderated but the commenter himself cannot be banned. You think it’s bad with one Bluegill and her socks? HA! Just wait. Go read YAHOO news once.

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Why is that bad?
crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 10:31 PM

By switching to Disqust, COL, ANYONE can post here. No limits. Open registration will not apply–unless there’s a workaround for that.

For example, I have at least three Disqust accounts (don’t ask…), and on ONE site (Mediaite, for those who are curious) all three were banned. Usually, only one account gets banned (also known from personal experience), but it also means that those who post where Disqust is used would be able to post here–theoretically, that is.

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Remember the failed Facebook commenting in the headline section?

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Finally he can feel needed.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Dude! I’m standing right here!

KCB on June 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Fox is getting really bad. It’s turning into CNN.

cat_owner on June 20, 2014 at 9:20 PM

that’s one of a few reasons why I dropped cable TV. I don’t miss it either.

8 weight on June 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM

didn’t he say he was color blind? crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

I don’t know.
Just beware of boxes, would work.

wolly4321 on June 20, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Does anyone know what system AoSHQ uses?

Doc Holliday on June 20, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Look at who gets banned and who doesn’t.

They don’t care about most of the people here.

Their target audience now is the hagfish and lourdes type.

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:26 PM

I agree they don’t care about the posters here very much. The mods are as uninterested in moderating as much as they can. They seem to ban only the most “obvious” violators. People like Lourdes, bg, and trolling socks who know how to game the system slip through the cracks.

non-nonpartisan on June 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM

You can still be banned, even by IP address…

Been there, done that…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM

IP addresses mean nothing. Unplug your modem and you’ll have a different one in ten minutes.

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Thanks, line.

DemetriusPhalerum on June 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Red State has limited enrollment, and they’re on Disqus, Newtie, so there is a way that can be accomplished.

But the mods there despise it with a passion!!

lineholder on June 20, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Does anyone know what system AoSHQ uses?
Doc Holliday on June 20, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Quote Powered by Minx 0.7 alpha. Unquote

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Glad I wasn’t here tonight, my cousin offered us his tickets…

OmahaConservative on June 20, 2014 at 10:39 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM

tdes es aummy e dcvk mkvkr nomk tdes

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Finally he can feel needed.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Dude! I’m standing right here!

KCB on June 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM

“He’s right here Ray.”

“He’s an ugly little spud isn’t he?”

“I think he can hear you Ray…”

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:39 PM

KCB on June 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Hi Ken. Pull up a bar stool and stay a while.

*clink*

BTW, Judge_Dredd tried to steal your identity. I guess everyone wants to look like a Chippendale in a kilt these days.

ps: you would get more smooches if you ditched that lame (made in Yugoslavia) shop vac. Texas babes want made in America.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Quote Powered by Minx 0.7 alpha. Unquote

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I like it better than Disqus–it posts quickly, and in order and is legible like this one. I would like something where I don’t have to hit the refresh button all the time…

Doc Holliday on June 20, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Especially fast moving ones.

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM

I have enough trouble following this sometimes.

crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 10:40 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM

I posted on GretaWire for about five years–and three different formats (at least). It became such a sewer, and I got SO tired of trying to ignore trolls and have decent conversations with the people I liked!

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Judge_Dredd on June 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM

If your ISP works that way, it’s true. They aren’t all the same.

non-nonpartisan on June 20, 2014 at 10:41 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM

you wcmt jk to skmn et om to c akw otdkrs

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 10:41 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM

lourdes and hagfish BLATANTLY trashed the terms of use and got away with it.

More respected posters have been banned for what would be minor infractions compared to what the trolls get away with.

The worst posters here are getting special treatment because they drive traffic. They have to obviously trash the terms of use many times before anything happens to them. Then they get a new handle and return.

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I unplugged my dial up modem and now my IP address says Pikerville.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Disqus is awful. It’s like standing in the middle of a loud crowd where everyone is talking. You can’t tell who’s talking to whom.

Doc Holliday on June 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Doc Holliday on June 20, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Or post constantly… ;-)

One Disqust feature I like is the “X New Comments Above/Below” feature–but an ignore button would be SO soothing to my soul…and eyes…and blood pressure…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Chippendale in a kilt

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:40 PM

ROFL. There’s a story behind that somewhere, isn’t there?

Spill it, Greek man.

lineholder on June 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Why is that bad? crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 10:31 PM

The Hill did it, and it was a mess. Not just socks, but people posing as each other.

Within months, the comment section was kaput.

I’ll never deal with it.

I wish Sophie would start a board.

wolly4321 on June 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Been in the corner with B9 for 10 minutes. It’s a personal best!

KCB on June 20, 2014 at 10:43 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM

It’s that way in many places, Cozmo–unless you’re a conservative/libertarian posting on a lib blog…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:44 PM

hohz e hegk tdes jesideka

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Eric Burdon & War Spill The Wine

Disqus does not work. I can’t believe they’re trying it.

kcewa on June 20, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Why aren’t the American people in a spade and pitchfork uproar that Washington cares more about Iraq’s sovereignty than our own?

VorDaj

Maybe they’re getting there. Things got a little heated in Virginia today.

More than a thousand residents attended to voice opposition to the plan and denounce the Obama administration officials for trying to force the project upon their impoverished community.”

This is the second place that said no. Dems in Baltimore also said no. Anyone who says opposing amnesty isn’t a slam dunk is a moron, and is probably not looking out the nation’s interests. Case in point:

White House’s Valerie Jarrett dines with Rupert Murdoch to plot immigration strategy

xblade on June 20, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Do you think it could work?

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Those you trust. And if they do the same, there will be a group who drive the trolls nuts.

Not every regular poster would have to do it. Hopefully the decent posters would understand and accept it.

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Within months, the comment section was kaput.

wolly4321 on June 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM

At GW, we called it “namejacking.” It was so bad when Greta had her “GretaWire Forum,” I had to change the FONT to tell the socks from the genuine posters! Ones being used for lower-case L’s, zeroes being used for O’s, double V’s being used for W’s and all kinds of cr@p like that…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:47 PM

xblade on June 20, 2014 at 10:45 PM

I saw somewhere on here that Homeland made arrangements months ago for this invasion. I don’t know if it’s true and don’t ask me where I saw it.

crankyoldlady on June 20, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:41 PM

I hear you.

I think we should consider doing a group effort, and create our alternative own forum for anyone who’d like to use it. I am glad oscarwilde and RWM offered their threads, but they aren’t formatted to be as easy to read as this place. There are other options a forum could offer, too, like the ability for users to create new threads at will, private messaging, etc.

non-nonpartisan on June 20, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Oh yeah, they ban them at the drop of a hat.

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:48 PM

I’m going to get a new IP address from my ISP ASAP just as soon as I learn a few more TLAs.

Hey wait, how can TLA mean Three Letter Acronym?

Why couldn’t it also stand for Two Letter Acronym?

Or Theven Letter Acronym for people with a lithp.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:48 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:45 PM

ykcd ehh skmn to c akw you wehh oa ioursk lk clhk to skk wdo e skmn et to aumm

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Or Theven Letter Acronym for people with a lithp.

Parmenides on June 20, 2014 at 10:48 PM

You must mean Melitha Harrith Perwy…

Doc Holliday on June 20, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Genesis – I Can’t Dance

lineholder on June 20, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Judge_Dredd

Or get a browser plugin that gives you a fake ip in seconds at the click of a button.

xblade on June 20, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Bmore on June 20, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Heh

cozmo on June 20, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Disqus does not work. I can’t believe they’re trying it.
kcewa on June 20, 2014 at 10:44 PM

How many of you had an old WordPress account?

Newtie and the Beauty on June 20, 2014 at 10:52 PM