Is the new celebrity endorsement for Thad Cochran a Hail Mary?

posted at 9:21 am on June 19, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Readers have been on pins and needles over the Mississippi GOP primary fight between incumbent US Senator Thad Cochran and Chris McDaniel. The race has produced a lot of questions — about McDaniel’s temperament, Cochran’s abilities, the Tea Party versus the Establishment, and even which side plays the dirtier tricks. But one question in particular has gone unanswered:

Wait no more, my friends. Behold the latest campaign ad running in the final days of the runoff, courtesy of the US Chamber of Commerce:

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is bringing in a big-time closer for the Mississippi Senate race: NFL legend Brett Favre.

Favre, a Gulfport native who has coached football at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg, appears in a new Chamber ad praising Cochran as a “proven and respected leader” who can deliver education funding for Mississippi. …

The former Green Bay Packers quarterback may be one of the few voices and faces that can stand out on Mississippi’s cluttered airwaves in the final days of Cochran’s nomination fight against state Sen. Chris McDaniel. The two are competing in a June 24 runoff after they deadlocked in the first round of voting earlier this month.

That’s probably not a bad calculation. Favre’s sudden involvement in a political campaign will make news in Mississippi and nationwide, and might focus a little more outside money into the final stretch. But why didn’t the Chamber of Commerce get Favre involved in the first round of the primary? Cochran didn’t lose by much, and the impact that the Chamber obviously hopes to get with this ad might have prevented the need for the runoff in the first place. Bringing out Favre now looks a bit like desperation — a Hail Mary, if you will. But Hail Marys occasionally connect.

On the other hand, while Favre might be a favorite son in Mississippi, that’s not necessarily equivalent to a trusted voice in politics. It also might prompt a couple of uncomfortable parallels:

Favre has the Iron Man record in the NFL, with 321 consecutive starts with the Green Bay Packers, New York Jets, and Minnesota Vikings. Even when he was playing, people questioned whether he was taking that record too seriously, and the Packers finally had to let him go to get Aaron Rodgers on the field. Thad Cochran has a 36-year run in the Senate on the line, with an additional five-plus years from his time in the House for a 41-year run in Washington DC. Baseball Crank’s quip about hanging it up is a point that some Mississippians will take to heart next Tuesday, and Favre’s appearance might not convince them otherwise.

Update: I had actually forgotten about Favre’s sexting/harassment scandal, and his addiction issues. I suspect most Mississippians have also forgotten about them or at least don’t give them much weight about their pride in their native son’s NFL accomplishments. But I don’t think that pride necessarily equates to political credibility, either.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Well, if Favre’s in his corner, he’s got the Grandpa vote locked up.

Doughboy on June 19, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Favre threw as many interceptions as touchdowns in his career…

ConstantineXI on June 19, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Jenn Sterger, the former New York Jets game day hostess who was at the center of the Brett Favre sexting scandal, says she’s never met the three-time NFL MVP who allegedly sent her sexually suggestive texts, voicemails and photos.

Akzed on June 19, 2014 at 9:24 AM

So, good judgment all around.

Akzed on June 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Shut up and wear your Wrangler jeans, Brett.

22044 on June 19, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Is Favre autographing his penis pics yet?

MikeInBA on June 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Didn’t Favre pull a Weiner and send pictures of his Cochran to a female reporter?

Flange on June 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Everybody forgetting Favre pulled an Anthony Weiner?

MikeInBA on June 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Did Brett cry ?

celtic warrior on June 19, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Favre sounds like a dem touting Thad’s ability to bring funding to MS education. Maybe he has/had a ooncussion.

Kissmygrits on June 19, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Too bad. Brett Favre is probably the greatest NFL player of all time, in my book. Playing QB in the NFL is like getting in a car wreck every Sunday when on the field. Even at 40 he was still the gunslinger for my Vike’s. Yep, he threw a bad pass in the NFC title game. I was in shock for weeks. But still, he’s one tough cookie. No one will break his record. And his love for the game was off the charts.

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Why is McDaniel’s temperament in question?

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Retire with a shred of dignity Thad.

rbj on June 19, 2014 at 9:30 AM

The voters should take a pass on Cochran.

docflash on June 19, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Just when we folks up here in Green Bay start to forgive and forget about his going over to the evil (Purple) empire, Favre goes and opens his trap again and gives more aid and comfort to the enemy.

Just d*mn…..

VelvetElvis on June 19, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Brett Favre was a great quarterback for beloved Pack. He suffered one or two or three too many concussions apparently.

Bmore on June 19, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Wow. Some real haters around here. It’s no wonder Pubs can’t win elections.

Seriously, do all of you always look for the bad in people? Geesh.

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 9:32 AM

*my beloved Pack

Bmore on June 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Flange on June 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM

The originality/creativity of the posters here never ceases to amaze me.

esr1951 on June 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM

He threw 508 touchdowns and 336 interceptions. A hell of a football player and as a Packers fan, I appreciate the many years of fun he gave us. If you’re trying to avoid the notion that you’ve overstayed your welcome, as Cochran is, Favre is probably not the right guy to feature in your ads, though.

Mr. D on June 19, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Is Favre autographing his penis pics yet?

MikeInBA on June 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM

OH

Flange on June 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM

MY

Everybody forgetting Favre pulled an Anthony Weiner?

MikeInBA on June 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM

GAWD

Mark Boabaca on June 19, 2014 at 9:34 AM

It stuns me that anyone’s vote could be won by this endorsement.

mankai on June 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 9:32 AM

It’ a Republican primary, a Republican is going to win. As for bein nice, go tell it to Brian Schweitzer and his gaydar.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM

As a die-hard Packer fan and partial owner, I would do the exact opposite of whatever Brett says, every time.

The Vikings. He went to The Vikings. And he almost took them to the Super Bowl.

TarasBulbous on June 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Flange on June 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM

The originality/creativity of the posters here never ceases to amaze me.

esr1951 on June 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Ditto

Mark Boabaca on June 19, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Favre is enormously popular on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, a three-county span along I-10. It’s also the second most populous urban area in the state and it’s solidly red.

It’s a coin flip as to whether the Favre endorsement helps Cochran on the Gulf Coast enough to get him over the top. But I guarantee it won’t hurt him at all.

It was a shrewd gamble and Cochran’s shrewdness is legendary.

Conservative Mischief on June 19, 2014 at 9:37 AM

We all know that Bret is having mental issues. You don’t QB that many games without having mental issues. I am not sure either Bret or Thad could tell you that today is Thursday.

bw222 on June 19, 2014 at 9:37 AM

esr1951 on June 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Mark Boabaca on June 19, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I’m a Lions fan. This is the closest I can get to the Lions beating him.

Flange on June 19, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Flange on June 19, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Lolz! Go Pack!!!

Bmore on June 19, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Conservative Mischief on June 19, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Which might be fine if anyone believed that it is Cochran being shrewd. All indications are that that along with almost everything else is left to staff. Not confidence inspiring.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I always knew it…

Bart Favre loves the cochran…

BigWyo on June 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM

My point is you throw out all of Brett’s accomplishments on the field, and people around here can’t wait to start in with inappropriate jokes, because, well, most people around here find that funny. I guess they don’t get enough of that elsewhere. I don’t like the commercial, but if all we conservatives ever do is bad mouth people for their supposed failures, it’s no wonder the Dems are in charge.

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Brett who?

Jayrae on June 19, 2014 at 9:42 AM

If your vote can be influenced by the words of a football player, you deserve the lousy representation that you get.

bimmcorp on June 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM

bimmcorp on June 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Hey now…this is Burt Fravere…not just some ‘football player’…

BigWyo on June 19, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Not a bad move by the Cochran campaign, but it doesn’t negate the fact that Cochran has no business running in the first place. What the Chamber of Commerce and those wanting to feed at the pork trough are doing is nothing short of elder abuse…it’s clear the man is at the very least senile, and MS voters deserve someone who has at least most of their faculties about them.

The GOP would’ve been smart to cut the guy loose after the initial round and rally behind McDaniel, but now they’ve succeeded in wounding both of them a great deal and opening the door just a tad to a surprise in Nov.

changer1701 on June 19, 2014 at 9:45 AM

As a life long Packer fan & a Packer4life, I’m seeing another late game bad decision, Bret; result, pick 6 four McDaniel

personhoodCO on June 19, 2014 at 9:45 AM

This will probably be meh. Favre is famous (or infamous) in Wisconsin and known to NFL fans. From the perspective of Mississippi, he’s just a native.

22044 on June 19, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Shouldn’t both Brett and Thad be retired by now

ConservativePartyNow on June 19, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM

ROFL

I got my sense of humor from my old man, a 79 year old former Marine, and his “gutter” jokes would curl your hair and turn you white.

Relax a little bit, or go hang out on the CSPAN forum, they’re all about dusty, overblown comments over there.

Bishop on June 19, 2014 at 9:48 AM

And I’m not stupid. I knew it was a Pub primary. I’m just saying the rush to go fall into the gutter with the jokes is rather telling for our future. Does everything have to be a joke? Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM

If one doesn’t want people to make jokes about the inappropriate and ungentlemanly things he has done with his penis, he should have considered the consequences before he did that inappropriate and ungentlemanly thing.

If you are upset by the sort of humor that results from this kind of behavior, well, it’s too late now, but you should have kept your concerns private. You just told us that character doesn’t matter as much to you as does political expediency.

Akzed on June 19, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Brett has been playing football without a helmet.

myiq2xu on June 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM

If one doesn’t want people to make jokes about the inappropriate and ungentlemanly things he has done with his johnson, he should have considered the consequences before he did that inappropriate and ungentlemanly thing.

Akzed on June 19, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Hmmmm, do you think a lot of people in Mississippi are looking at Hot Air’s comments to decide how to feel about this endorsement? You can’t count his accomplishments without considering his liabilities when you use him in a campaign. After all, Ed mentioned McDaniel’s temperament and I don’t know what he means unless it is the shenanigans pulled by those thought to be close to him. While McDaniel has never been implicated, they are still used against him. Fair or not, you can’t erase history or perceptions.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Is Brett Farve endorsing Thad Cochran’s indecencies with farm animals? That is more embarrassing than his time with the Jets.

Evi L. Bloggerlady on June 19, 2014 at 9:51 AM

This is going to end up as well for Cochran as it ended up for Favre in the 2007 NFC Championship Game. Or the 2009 NFC Championship Game (your choice, depending on if you’re a Packers or a Vikings fan…)

jon1979 on June 19, 2014 at 9:51 AM

bimmcorp on June 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM

The said thing is we get stuck with them also.

JAGonzo on June 19, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Does everything have to be a joke?

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM

No. I suppose one might also say…..

Does everything have to be so serious?

Personally I find these times in which we are all living to be serious enough. Well aimed and appropriate humor is, I think great medicine. Might just be me though. I enjoy laughter.

Bmore on June 19, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Cochran’s new ad is one where he is shaking hands with a MS constituent and asks “Do you know who I am?”. To which Cochran answers his own question with “Because I forgot”.

inspectorudy on June 19, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Yes, everything has to be a joke or I get my gun and march on Washington. Do not stifle the wit and knowledge of Hot Air, it would be a crime.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Celebrity – and other – endorsements have never made any demonstrable difference in any race. Voters typically tune them out.

Not sure if either had endorsed Cantor or Brat, but so far in the primary season of endorsed candidates, Sarah Palin was batting .500 and Romney was perfect. Does that mean anything? Just that Romney is better at picking winners. None of them had any effect.

But if the question is whether more Mississippians will be motivated by a Favre TV ad or a McLaughlin tweet, I’d go with Farve, because I’m not an idiot. 15.6 K followers is good for pundits on Twitter, but few of those will be in Mississippi.

Adjoran on June 19, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Because when we bad mouth people for their “suppposed” failures…it sends them to the Dems and their sterling record of accomplishment. Can I buy a vowel? Can’t solve this puzzle.

msupertas on June 19, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Adjoran on June 19, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Isn’t Laura Ingraham going to use some of her Brat charm offensive for McDaniel? I thought I heard or read that somewhere.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 10:02 AM

msupertas on June 19, 2014 at 10:01 AM

I guess if Mississippi elects a Democrat he might have a point. I wonder what the chances are? I wonder which would make Gov. Barbour more angry, a McDaniel win or a Democrat win?

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 10:04 AM

He’s taken way too many shots to the head.

Ward Cleaver on June 19, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Anything that makes Haley Barbour angry is worth the price of admission.

Ward Cleaver on June 19, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Because when we bad mouth people for their “suppposed” failures…it sends them to the Dems and their sterling record of accomplishment. msupertas on June 19, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Yeah, the jury’s still out about married men sexting women they haven’t met.

Akzed on June 19, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Brett Favre is a raging a**hole. A perfect counter to this commercial would be one filmed in Green Bay in a random sampling of.bars where every patron has a story of Brett’s behavior.

Although it is ironic that a complete “all about me” a**hole has the endorsement of a complete “all about me” a**hole.

M240H on June 19, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Lolz! Go Pack!!!

Bmore on June 19, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Still have nightmares of that ’94 Wild Card game. “That feeling, when the ball was in the air, and you see the guy wide open in the end zone – it was one of the lowest feelings in the world,” Chris Spielman told Mitch Albom after the Lions 28-24 defeat on Jan. 8, 1994 in the NFC Wild Card round. “Your heart sinks. It’s the closest thing there is to being told someone you love has died.

Flange on June 19, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Ward Cleaver on June 19, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Farve or Cochran?

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM

It occurred to me that this probably has the appearance of piling on. Please don’t take it personally and don’t stop commenting. We’re an odd group but mostly we are harmless and good natured.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Does everything have to be a joke?

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I think he took care of that when he did that little sexting thing.

GWB on June 19, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Is there any doubt? Barbour probably will not go so far as to endorse the Dem but he will be hoping the Dem wins because he can still wet his beak.

Bob from Ohio on June 19, 2014 at 10:28 AM

If the Chamber of Commerce backs Cochran then he is the wrong person to win. The Chambers position on amnesty and H1-B visas pits them against the few working Amerikans that are left. Hopefully there are enough of them in Mississippi to defeat Cochran.

earlgrey on June 19, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Retire with a shred of dignity Thad.

rbj on June 19, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Ain’t gonna happen. Career politicians have no dignity.

hawkeye54 on June 19, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I hesitated to reply being unfamiliar with that particular nom. I waited. I did what I am bad to do. I looked up his prior comments. Seeing that he is a serious commenter and that he has made serious comments in the past I decided to reply. Deckard BR posed his comment in the form of a question. I felt it polite upon reflection to answer his question. I did so in what I thought was a respectful manner. I do not see that as piling on. Hopefully nor does he.

Bmore on June 19, 2014 at 10:42 AM

… a big-time closer for the Mississippi Senate race … Brett Favre.

Hilarious.

I don’t see how this will help Cochran. Every time Cochran opens his mouth, he reminds voters that he is suffering from dementia, and that his health is failing.

Seriously, even if voters are willing to overlook Cochran’s current involvement in the growing ‘VOTE BUYING’ scandal, and the fact that he and his allies are asking democrats to ILLEGALLY cross party lines and vote for him in the run-off, his health (at least his mental health) makes him a non-starter for any thinking person.

Favre looks like a complete (paid?) idiot trying to prop Cochran up, when McDaniel is CLEARLY the best choice for Mississippi. There is absolutely no justification for keeping Cochran – and a bizarre, desperate endorsement from Brett Favre doesn’t change that fact.

Pork-Chop on June 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Throwin over the middle and into triple coverage in overtime again ain’t ya Brent?

rotorjoe on June 19, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Brett:

I respect that you have the right to voice your opinion, but Cochran is part of the problem, not the solution.

307wolverine on June 19, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Bmore on June 19, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Since he/she did not comment again, I was afraid that the number of replies received might appear to be piling on, I know that that wasn’t the intention. I agree that he/she is a thoughtful commenter and we need all we can get while not altering our natures. Noobies can be delicate.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 10:51 AM

HeIIfire I can be delicate at times myself. Lolz! I as with you just wanted to make sure he did not misunderstand. ; )

Bmore on June 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM

rotorjoe on June 19, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Off his back foot, natch.

TarasBulbous on June 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Akzed on June 19, 2014 at 9:50 AM

No, I just don’t understand why everything around here goes straight to the gutter, and instead of looking at someone’s accomplishment’s they are thrown out because talking about his “Cochran” is more entertaining. Really?

Character does matter, but let’s put in place the framework for the alleged pictures. The Vikings were set to play the Jets the week before the issue came about. I don’t believe for one minute the Jets organization wasn’t behind it, trying to get into Favre’s head and hoping to help them get a win. After the game no one said a peep about the alleged photos. And the accuser never did anything else about it.

And the Vikings lost on a Monday night on a rain-soaked field in NY that started late because of lightning.

Nobody remembers that. I do because I’m a Vikings fan. No, I think the ad is stupid and Favre shouldn’t have done it. But I don’t need to talk about his “Cochran” and belittle the man.

No grace around here, I guess.

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Favre has suffered numerous concussions and we all know that means he is not in his right mind. BTW, The Green Bay Packers need to change their name. “Packers” is wrong on so many levels.

fight like a girl on June 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM

No. I suppose one might also say…..

Does everything have to be so serious?

Bmore on June 19, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I don’t have a problem with humor, but at the expense of someone else when it has very little to do with Thad Cochran, per se, and all you and others want to discuss is Favre’s “Cochran”?

Think what you will. I’m a Favre fan. And you aren’t going to ruffle my feathers. I’ll say it one last time: there is too much piling on around here every time someone isn’t perfect. We need to get over that because I haven’t seen too many perfect people in my 49 years. We all have faults. I just don’t understand the need to belittle good people for every little bad thing they (allegedly) do.

My two cents.

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Unfortunately Darlin, the two cannot be separated. Now if people were accusing him of stuff he hadn’t done, I would agree with you but his heroics on the football field (and he was awesome) lose a bit of luster as a political endorsement. Although I would venture to guess that few of the voters of Mississippi will remember his indiscretion like the people of HotAir. People here tend to be current events oriented and have amazing memories. And other voters just won’t care.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Appreciated. I’m too old to be offended. :-)

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Desperation. That education funding claim, not sure how effective it was based on the school system ratings and student performance in the last 30 years Cochran has been in office.

jake49 on June 19, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Off his back foot, natch.

TarasBulbous on June 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Saw him do it repeatedly for 16 years plus.

rotorjoe on June 19, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Is the new celebrity endorsement for Thad Cochran a Hail Mary?

More like flop sweat.

formwiz on June 19, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Excellent.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 11:18 AM

dforston on June 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Things just stopped being funny.

Fallon on June 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM

dforston on June 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM

That was two and a half years ago.

Ed Morrissey on June 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM

That was two and a half years ago.

Ed Morrissey on June 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Channeling Tommy Vietor? “Dude, this was like two years ago.”

Sorry.

:-)

Fallon on June 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Sorry.

Fallon on June 19, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Ed Morrissey on June 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM

So he’s not eternally grateful?

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM

You know, Farve sharing pictures of his ding-a-ling might be a pretty good match to a man who once like partying hard with animals.

MNHawk on June 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Brett Favre was by far my favorite NFL player of all time. But his endorsement still wouldn’t sway my vote.

And Deckard BR is right, too many people on this thread are acting holier than thou, in judging Favre’s past issues.

I’m not saying I condone what Favre did. But Jenn Sterger was/is a gold digger, and there’s far more to the story than Favre sending a few “Cochran” pics to her.

On a side note, Favre is NOT the only man who has sent “Cochran” pics to women, for the life of me I never understood why you men would do that?

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Boss Hawg is pulling out all the stops….using Chamber of Commerce money and money from Mike Bloomberg….
The only problem is Thad Cochran is not fit for office……

d1carter on June 19, 2014 at 11:34 AM

That was two and a half years ago.

Ed Morrissey on June 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM

You forgot the, “Dude”……..

d1carter on June 19, 2014 at 11:35 AM

WTF?!?

Brett Favre is one of my sports idols and he pulls this knuckleheaded crap.

Ill have to agree with someone else who said that #4 is throwing another late 4th quarter pick on this one.

Brett may be a guy some of us admire for football but i dont think he pulls much weight in Mississippi politics. He has never been known for using his brains off the field.

What does he owe the Chamber of Commerce anyway?

alecj on June 19, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Does everything have to be a joke?
Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM

As I see it, you have two choices:

Laugh
Cry

I prefer laughter–relieves stress better…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 19, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I wouldn’t put too much stock in Favre pushing Cochran over the line when Cochran is still busy saying stuff like, “I used to be a Democrat.”

The Cochran campaign is in full meltdown mode right now.

yaedon on June 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM

We have not forgotten his peen pics in Mississippi. The Manning’s are the brand that sells down here.

southernms on June 19, 2014 at 11:52 AM

FLASHBACK:

‘Brett Favre’s pecker the talk of the town’ ( Taiwanese Animators edition )

Pork-Chop on June 19, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Well, I am a Louisiana resident now … but I grew up on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and still work there.

I would be surprised if this helps Cochran out very much. The Gulf Coast is where the votes are in this election that will determine who wins this. Most on the Coast have DETAILED KNOWLEDGE of Brett Favre’s bad conduct. From getting in bar fights and being arrested – through the NFL sexting scandal.

And – not only that – but most of Favre’s immediate family has a checkered past – including his deceased father.

Favre is the DEAD LAST guy I’d take voting advice from.

The reason that Favre is supporting Cochran now is a political payback to Haley Barbour. Barbour is a huge Cochran supporter and, in his last week as Governor of MS – he pardoned Brett Favre’s brother, Scott.

I don’t notice a lot of people down here wearing “Wrangler” jeans – a product that Favre promoted for years. If that’s any indication – I wouldn’t say a lot of Mississippians will put much stock in Favre’s voting advice.

HondaV65 on June 19, 2014 at 11:55 AM

dforston on June 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM

That was two and a half years ago.

Ed Morrissey on June 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM

And…?

dforston on June 19, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM

It’s not just the sexting, Raquel – Favre has been a “bad boy” in a lot of ways you haven’t heard about – but people on the Gulf Coast have. Not just him either – but his dad … and a lot of his immediate family has had MANY problems.

As far as dickpics go … I am a Bar Bouncer part time in New Orleans and girls walk up to me all the time and ask me to send them one of mine. I never send one – that’s the second thing I will never do – the first is get a tattoo.

One girl, who asked me for a pic of my package broke out her cell phone and showed me a file of what looked like HUNDREDS of guys and their equipment. She collected them. Not saying this turns on all women or that even turns on most of them – but there is a cadre of women out there who want these things.

HondaV65 on June 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM