Is the new celebrity endorsement for Thad Cochran a Hail Mary?

posted at 9:21 am on June 19, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Readers have been on pins and needles over the Mississippi GOP primary fight between incumbent US Senator Thad Cochran and Chris McDaniel. The race has produced a lot of questions — about McDaniel’s temperament, Cochran’s abilities, the Tea Party versus the Establishment, and even which side plays the dirtier tricks. But one question in particular has gone unanswered:

Wait no more, my friends. Behold the latest campaign ad running in the final days of the runoff, courtesy of the US Chamber of Commerce:

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is bringing in a big-time closer for the Mississippi Senate race: NFL legend Brett Favre.

Favre, a Gulfport native who has coached football at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg, appears in a new Chamber ad praising Cochran as a “proven and respected leader” who can deliver education funding for Mississippi. …

The former Green Bay Packers quarterback may be one of the few voices and faces that can stand out on Mississippi’s cluttered airwaves in the final days of Cochran’s nomination fight against state Sen. Chris McDaniel. The two are competing in a June 24 runoff after they deadlocked in the first round of voting earlier this month.

That’s probably not a bad calculation. Favre’s sudden involvement in a political campaign will make news in Mississippi and nationwide, and might focus a little more outside money into the final stretch. But why didn’t the Chamber of Commerce get Favre involved in the first round of the primary? Cochran didn’t lose by much, and the impact that the Chamber obviously hopes to get with this ad might have prevented the need for the runoff in the first place. Bringing out Favre now looks a bit like desperation — a Hail Mary, if you will. But Hail Marys occasionally connect.

On the other hand, while Favre might be a favorite son in Mississippi, that’s not necessarily equivalent to a trusted voice in politics. It also might prompt a couple of uncomfortable parallels:

Favre has the Iron Man record in the NFL, with 321 consecutive starts with the Green Bay Packers, New York Jets, and Minnesota Vikings. Even when he was playing, people questioned whether he was taking that record too seriously, and the Packers finally had to let him go to get Aaron Rodgers on the field. Thad Cochran has a 36-year run in the Senate on the line, with an additional five-plus years from his time in the House for a 41-year run in Washington DC. Baseball Crank’s quip about hanging it up is a point that some Mississippians will take to heart next Tuesday, and Favre’s appearance might not convince them otherwise.

Update: I had actually forgotten about Favre’s sexting/harassment scandal, and his addiction issues. I suspect most Mississippians have also forgotten about them or at least don’t give them much weight about their pride in their native son’s NFL accomplishments. But I don’t think that pride necessarily equates to political credibility, either.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That was two and a half years ago.

Ed Morrissey on June 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Come on, Ed. Seriously. The timeframe doesn’t matter here. Favre owes Barbour one and Barbour called in the blue chip.

HondaV65 on June 19, 2014 at 12:06 PM

HondaV65 on June 19, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I think he was joking.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM

My two cents.

Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I appreciate that. The Pack has always and always be my team. I am fortunate as a Southerner to have been to historic Lambeau Field before the modifications. Farve was perfect. I greatly appreciate his time as a player as well. Truly one of the greats. In fine Packers tradition. That said, when he is off field and at the position of endorsing politicals he is fair game. To be mocked by those who mock or to be praised by those who praise. His choice, their choice. ; )

Bmore on June 19, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Brett:

I respect that you have the right to voice your opinion, but Cochran is part of the problem, not the solution.

307wolverine on June 19, 2014 at 10:49 AM

The only thing Brett cares about is whether the check will clear. His loyalty, as demonstrated by his. actions professionally and much more importantly toward his family, is for sale.

Yeah, he was a great football player. So was O.J. Simpson. As Biden would say “Big f——’ deal”.

M240H on June 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM

*Favre, Sorry Brett. ; )

Bmore on June 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM

The only thing Brett cares about is whether the check will clear.

M240H on June 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM

You really think he’s being paid with money? I just assumed it was booze and hookers, but I suppose anything is possible.

yaedon on June 19, 2014 at 12:28 PM

The irony of it all… a quarterback who stuck around after his time was over campaigning for a politician with the same problem.

rjh on June 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

The Ds also got involved, for Cochran, via black churches and their preachers.

Desperado is palpable.

I hope Cochran loses and is forced to go home, and to hold his sick wife’s hand.

Schadenfreude on June 19, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Yep, he threw a bad pass in the NFC title game. I was in shock for weeks.
Deckard BR on June 19, 2014 at 9:29 AM

If watching Brett Favre throw a bone-headed interception in the playoffs was shocking for you, it just shows that you were not familiar with his playing history.

The most common refrain after that interception was “I KNEW he would do that!!!!”

PackerBronco on June 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM

“Let he who is without sin text the first Dick Pic to Jen Sterger.” – Lombardicus 3:18

TarasBulbous on June 19, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I understand McCain is now coming in to assist…

ladyingray on June 19, 2014 at 1:20 PM

TarasBulbous on June 19, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I heard he was sending it to Suzi Kolber and Jen Sterger intercepted it.

Flange on June 19, 2014 at 1:21 PM

I heard he was sending it to Suzi Kolber and Jen Sterger intercepted it.

Flange on June 19, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Nice. I don’t know what he expected, Suzy already batted Broadway Joe’s pass to the ground.

(or maybe that happened after)

TarasBulbous on June 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM

that’s not necessarily equivalent to a trusted voice in politics.

Please enlighten us to how Stacy Dash is a trusted voice in politics.

Or, any one of the list of b and c-level celebrities that Twitchy and Breitbart fawns over.

Moesart on June 19, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I need to know where Cochran stands on dickpics before placing my vote…

burserker on June 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Very fitting, neither favre nor cochran know when to quit.

Who knew Favre was back in MS. I thought he was still alone on the bench in Green Bay trying to figure out what happened after the immaculate interception.

Exninja on June 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM

So Brett Favre sent pictures of his junk to a reporter and Cochran is on video saying he did indecent things with animals … someone could have fun with that YouTube splice up, but it’s not necessary and Cochran is already going to get some votes out of pure sympathy as it is.

Delta Tango on June 19, 2014 at 2:06 PM

How many times has he gotten hit in “da head”?

Oil Can on June 19, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Brett Favre
Brett Favre is Democratic blue under that purple jersey
By Hart Van Denburg Thu., Sep. 9 2010 at 3:48 PM Write Comment
Categories: Brett Favre

favre200.jpg
Favre wears purple, but he’s blue underneath.
He’ll wear purple on the field tonight in New Orleans, but if you look close, you might see a blue undershirt on Brett Favre.
He’s one of more than 40 NFL-related players and front office types who have made political contributions of $3,000 or more this year. And his went to a Democrat.

Favre and his wife Deanna wrote the check to the Mississippi re-election campaign of Rep. Gene Taylor.

The Center for Responsive Politics, citing FEC data, says Favre is the only Vikings player to make contributions this year. Team co-owners Zygi and Leonard Wilf have both made contributions to the NFL’s political action committee.

As noted a few years back, Vikings sack machine Jared Allen turned up in a cowboy hat at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul to endorse John McCain for president. We searched to see if Allen was putting any money where his political mouth has been in the past. If he is, it’s for less than $3,000.

Buddahpundit on June 19, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Does he cry like a little girl in the ad?

dpduq on June 19, 2014 at 2:42 PM

If you had told me in 2006 that some day I’d hate Brett Favre and learn to love Jared Allen…

TarasBulbous on June 19, 2014 at 2:45 PM

The link to the Favre Democrat article.

Buddahpundit on June 19, 2014 at 2:45 PM

In 2012, on his last day in office, former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour pardoned Scott Favre—clearing his record entirely.

Jayrae on June 19, 2014 at 2:49 PM

OMG, that was Brett Favre! He used to be hot. I didn’t even recognize him. I hope I’m not aging that badly. The Favre endorsement may not help Cochran as much as he hopes given the subliminal message of sticking around after it’s time to retire.

talkingpoints on June 19, 2014 at 3:00 PM

As a long time Packers fan, I’ll always love Brett Favre, warts and all. But I don’t pay attention to athlete endorsements. Anyway, at least he’s backing a Republican. Aaron Rodgers, his replacement, supported the Scott Walker recall.

NbyNW on June 19, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Okay, it’s been long enough. I know who Brett Favre is but I originally thought that picture was Kris Kristofferson.

Breitbart: Is Brett Favre’s Cochran Endorsement Political Payback to Haley Barbour for Brother’s Pardon?

Looks like the sleuths at HA were spot on.

Fallon on June 19, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Favre: I support Thad Cochran because he got is buddy the Governor to spring my brother from jail just last week. So if you have a family member rotting in jail on a homicide conviction, or you think you may have one soon, vote for Thad Cochran, and maybe the Governor will pardon him, too!

Haiku Guy on June 19, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Fallon on June 19, 2014 at 4:01 PM

For a moment, I thought Kenny Rogers was drinking again.

M240H on June 19, 2014 at 4:08 PM

For a moment, I thought Kenny Rogers was drinking again.

M240H on June 19, 2014 at 4:08 PM

LOL

I’m gonna guess Favre might be… He looks ridden hard and put up wet.

Fallon on June 19, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I was slightly concerned about this. But its amazing how quick the truth came out that Favre contributes to Dems and his brother got a pardon. Throw in the “doesn’t no when to retire” bit and enough days for most of this stuff to leak out and this might have zero impact. Still seems like a 3-5 point win to me.

KMav on June 19, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Buddahpundit on June 19, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Gene Taylor ran as a Republican this time around, so technically it was a contribution to a Republican.

But since he was a Democrat until he lost his seat to Steve Palazzo, it still kind of a RINO contribution.

Which fits Cochran, I guess….

There Goes the Neighborhood on June 19, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Quid Pro Quo? Why yes!!!!

Brock Robamney on June 19, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Why would dems come out and vote for Cochran? They see mcdaniels as easier to defeat in the general – the rats nominated a very plausible candidate – Travis childs or whatever his name is.

matthew8787 on June 19, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Favre’s from Kiln, Mississippi, not Gulfport.

If he was serious about this endorsement, he would have gotten Warren Sapp into the video as well.

NoPain on June 19, 2014 at 10:08 PM

dforston on June 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM

heh, you are fast

I remember Bill Clinton commuted sentences of members of a NY Hassidic community that had voted for Hillary. He didn’t commute the sentences until after she was elected. Maybe that wasnt a quid pro quo. Maybe Bill was just grateful too

Not like the perps had stolen the 30 million from his wallet

I don’t call this Cochran ad a Hail Mary. I call this cashing in your chips

There is a reason not to use familiar athletes in political ads. People like their heros to smell good

Say it aint so, Joe

entagor on June 19, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Favre’s from Kiln, Mississippi, not Gulfport.
NoPain on June 19, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Sometimes when you are told to do something against your will, it’s hard to be enthusiastic

Brock Robamney on June 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

TERM LIMTS !!!!!!
NOW!

FlaMurph on June 19, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Or – It’s Paying A Debt To Haley Barbour for Pardoning His Brother…….read ALL the news, Ed:

williamg on June 20, 2014 at 12:33 AM

williamg on June 20, 2014 at 12:33 AM

I was wondering when somebody would post this…..

Brock Robamney on June 20, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Erections Elections have consequences.

/heh

gryphon202 on June 20, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Maybe Brett and Thad share a hankerin’ for Packing pigs.

redware on June 20, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I sure hope Mississippi wakes up like Virginia did with Cantor and VOTES McDaniels.

Nat George on June 20, 2014 at 10:56 AM