Hickenlooper: Staffer promised I’d sign gun law I never thought would pass, and by the way, it’s totally ineffective!

posted at 10:01 pm on June 18, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Behold, true leadership and effective governance:

“I think a lot of people didn’t know how much emotion was gonna come out of the high-capacity magazines. [We] probably would have looked for something different or a different approach.

One of my staff made the commitment that we would sign it it got passed. To be honest, no one in our office thought it would get through the legislature.

If we’d known it was going to divide the state so intensely, I think we probably would have thought about it twice…In the end, how important really was it?

After all the kerfuffle, I went back to try to get some facts we should have had at the beginning. They told me there are roughly 300,000 magazine that carry more than 15 rounds in the state of Colorado already…How’s a police enforcement officer going to tell which is the old one and which is the new one? How much of a difference is it gonna make if there are that many?

Some punk kid in Aurora wants to go out there and start spray shooting his neighborhood, which is still happening, in Aurora, in Denver, in Colorado Springs. It’s not like you’re gonna have a hard time finding a magazine.”

This is video from the same event at which Gov. John Hickenlooper was awkwardly apologizing to Colorado Sheriffs whom he ignored in the gun debate in favor of Michael Bloomberg and, well, no one with any facts or experience with firearms, apparently. He was later found to be lying when denying talking to Bloomberg. Our Second Amendment rights are in the best of hands.

Thanks Kelly Maher and the Revealing Politics team for the video!

Comments

Doh!

VegasRick on June 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM

ijit

Appalacher on June 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Just what you want in a Governor. Signing bills because a staffer promised he would.

RickB on June 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM

That wouldn’t be a baby bump peeking through his blazer ?

Appalacher on June 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Hickenlooper: Oops!

RedPepper on June 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM

You knew gd well it was divisive and did not give a shit until now. And furthermore, I don’t see you hot footin it to repeal.

arnold ziffel on June 18, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Stupid is as stupid does.

bgibbs1000 on June 18, 2014 at 10:06 PM

WE HAD TO DO SOMETHING!!!!!!

Typical lying, hypocritical liberals!

GarandFan on June 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Maybe he drank too much fracking fluid.

Mark1971 on June 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM

That statement on it’s own is grounds-basis for impeachment, far as I’m concerned.
Doesn’t matter what legislation it’s in reference to.

listens2glenn on June 18, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Alternate headline: How fast can an idiot backpeddle?

Diluculo on June 18, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Didn’t make any difference at all. Except for all the jobs and revenue lost when Magpul left the state.

What a stupid idiot.

trapeze on June 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM

So you’ve issued an executive order striking it from the books, right?

Or had one of your minions craft legislature amending the law, right?

He sure changed his tune from last year…

DENVER-In an exclusive interview with 9NEWS Monday, Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper said that he is not concerned over claims that his support of several gun control bills will put his re-election hopes in jeopardy.

“No I don’t think so. I really don’t think so,” Hickenlooper said. “I have talked to many, literally like over a hundred people. Almost everyone says, ‘yeah, as long as there’s no centralized database. As long as you’re not taking weapons away from us, but you’re just making sure that when we sell a weapon it doesn’t go to someone with a violent criminal history or severe mental illness, yeah that makes sense.’”

HumpBot Salvation on June 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Why the Leftists are winning:

Advance the ball first. Deal with the fallout any way you have to later, but above all else advance the ball.

ROCnPhilly on June 18, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Alternate headline: How fast can an idiot backpeddle?

Diluculo on June 18, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Not very fast, see last weeks Colorado’s Sheriffs get together.

RickB on June 18, 2014 at 10:17 PM

They’ll ruin Colorado and then move to another red state to ruin it as well. Like locusts.

xNavigator on June 18, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Lots of people tried to give you those facts. They were ignored and tarred as tools of the gun industry and child killers.

And at the end of the process it was your signature on the bill.
Own it Hickenlooper. Own. It.

soundingboard on June 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

HEY GOVERNOR ! . . . . . . .
. . . . . are there any other promises someone on your staff might have made, that you don’t know about … yet ?
How d’ya know ?

listens2glenn on June 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

ComeUppance ClusterFark!!!

canopfor on June 18, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Not very fast, see last weeks Colorado’s Sheriffs get together.

RickB on June 18, 2014 at 10:17 PM

They video above IS at that get together last week.

Walter L. Newton on June 18, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Sounds like someone is worried..:)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Comming soon to a theatre near you:

Hickenlooper in Deliverance,

Duelling HickenLoopers!!
(sarc)

canopfor on June 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Well, that’s just super-duper, Chickenpooper.

M240H on June 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM

This guy is truly pathetic.

Bmore on June 18, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Well then, Mr. Governor, can we assume you now wholeheartedly back repeal of this law? After all, you admit you should have “looked for something different or a different approach” and it has “divide[d] the state so intensely.”

Now that you’ve thought about it twice, you’re going to argue it should be repealed.

Right?

Revenant on June 18, 2014 at 10:27 PM

And at the end of the process it was your signature on the bill.
Own it Hickenlooper. Own. It.

soundingboard on June 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Live it, lick it, love it. It’s your tar baby sugar pants.

arnold ziffel on June 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM

HEY GOVERNOR ! . . . . .
. . . . . did anyone on your make any promises to Al Queda, the Muslim Brotherhood, or ISIS ?
Not that I’m worried, or anything . . . . .

listens2glenn on June 18, 2014 at 10:30 PM

…your staff make…

Here I go again ( s i g h )

listens2glenn on June 18, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Alternate headline: How fast can an idiot backpeddle?
Diluculo on June 18, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Doesn’t matter – the ideology has been pushed forward and magazine sizes are restricted. Unless he’s ready to repeal the law (and he’s not) it’s all talk and once our of power he’ll get a cushy political job and another puppet will take his place who will pass gun control laws a little more.

Skywise on June 18, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Regarding that apology to the sheriffs;

From the Facebook page of Sheriff Justin Smith in Fort Collins Colorado. No additional comment necessary:

Where does our governor now stand on the gun control laws he signed in 2013?

9 News reached out to me for this story, but I was on the road back from the conference, so I wasn’t able to respond in time for their story.

The County Sheriffs of Colorado extended the offer to the governor to come address the gathering of sheriffs at our summer conference. This portion of the event was open to the press and was attended by both the Aspen daily newspapers and a press outlet from Grand Junction.

The governor spent about an hour with us. He made remarks then invited questions from the sheriffs. Rather than beat around the bush, Sheriff John Cooke posed the first question about the gun control measures. Sheriff Cooke framed his question around statements that Governor Hickenlooper made at an event in Weld County about being a better listener. His question was simple and direct- why didn’t you listen to the Colorado Sheriffs when we attempted to share our concerns about this legislation with you? The governor extended an apology for not being a better listener during this time. He told us things were very busy for him.

I wasn’t taking notes, but my recollection was that he didn’t apologize for his actions, but apologized for not listening and claimed he really didn’t understand the issue until afterwards.

When Sheriff Cooke pressed him about why he supported the legislation without fully understanding it, the governor explained that one of his staff members made a public commitment that he would sign it, so he was obligated to keep the promise of this staff member. I found it shocking that the Colorado governor felt more beholdened to honoring the promise of a staff member over honoring his duty to represent the citizens of Colorado.

In finishing his response to Sheriff Cooke’s questions, the governor claimed that he was unaware of the opposition of the Colorado Sheriffs until days AFTER he signed the bills. The governor explained he knew of the position of the Denver Police Chief, supporting the magazine ban bill and the governor used that as his justification for believing that law enforcement officials supported the bills.

He essentially staked his apology on a claim not knowing of our position and concerns until after he signed the bills.

I hadn’t planned on asking a follow up to that same topic until I heard that part of his response. So I followed up by reiterating to the governor the extensive press coverage about our opposition and the fact that somewhere around 40 Colorado Sheriffs showed up at the Capitol building to testify in opposition while only one or two police chiefs testified in favor of them. I further explained that our association president had sent a letter to the governor’s office expressing our concerns and requesting a meeting. I also told him that I had personally hand delivered a letter expressing my concerns to his office in the Capitol. Given these facts, I simply found it incomprehensible that he claimed he didn’t know of our opposition.

I have to tell you that I was utterly flabbergasted at the response he made. From about 10 feet away, the governor looked me in the eye and snapped “I’ve already apologized, what the f*** else do you want?” Now, I’m a big boy and won’t pretend for a moment that it’s not language that’s foreign to me- but I found that type of attitude and response to be well below the dignity of the office of governor. This was a sitting governor, in a public meeting, responding to another elected official.

From what I’ve seen, you won’t find any reports of that exchange from any of the reporters who attended. That’s a shame because I believe it’s newsworthy for the voters to know the attitude and demeanor of their governor during this public event.

The important thing to know is that our governor does not apologize for his support of the gun control bills, rather he incredulously denies understanding the bills and blames his staff for committing his support- obliging him to sign the bills.

mjzman on June 15, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Knowing several members of the Buckeye State Sheriffs’ Association as I do, I think it would be fair to state that an “apology” parsed in those terms tendered to a conclave of the sheriffs here in OH might not get an exactly charitable response.

In fact, the Governor who mouthed off like that could probably just about forget any endorsements in his next election, and that’s just for starters.

I think Hickey needs to apologize, politely and profoundly, for being an a$$ on a level somewhere above Anthony Wiener.

Then repeal the law he now acknowledges is ineffective.

Then resign his post, acknowledging his lack of fitness to serve on several different grounds ranging from incompetence to immaturity.

I think that about covers it.

clear ether

eon

eon on June 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Hey LickUrPooper…aw $hit…don’t wanna get banned…not just yet…maybe later.

msupertas on June 18, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Fortunately, Colorado Governor Hickenlooper (Democrat) is up for re-election in November.

There are 4 Republicans running in Colorado’s 6/24 (Next Tuesday) Primary for the right to run against Gov. Hickenlooper.

The 4 Republican candidates are:

1) Former Congressman Tom Tancredo

2) Former Congressman Bob Beauprez

3) Secretary of State Scott Gessler

4) Former State Senate Minority Leader Mike Kopp.

If you live in Colorado, please let us all know which Republican(s) have the best chance of defeating Gov. Hickenlooper in November.

wren on June 18, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Open mouth, insert foot.
So, it is actually a staffer who is making decisions? There is so much wrong with his comments, other than the acknowledgement that he effed up big time, that one wonders how he came to be a governor at all.

bobthm3 on June 18, 2014 at 11:09 PM

“I didn’t know nuthin’, and when I did know something I thought—hey no bigs, and I didn’t talk to anybody about it except for those people I deny talking to until you find proof that I did, whereupon I was misquoted. Oh, and I totally didn’t mean for this law which I support to become law.”

HickenDoofus. Elected by a majority to be Governor of Colorado, ladies and gentlemen.
In the state that believes that marijuana use is, like, totally cool.

orangemtl on June 18, 2014 at 11:10 PM

The 4 Republican candidates are:

1) Former Congressman Tom Tancredo

2) Former Congressman Bob Beauprez

3) Secretary of State Scott Gessler

4) Former State Senate Minority Leader Mike Kopp.

wren on June 18, 2014 at 11:01 PM

ANY of those you listed SHOULD be able to easily beat him given the gun grabs and craptastic state economy. BUT, Boulder / Denver pot-heads and Kalifornia transplants control the elections for the entire state, hence why we have Hickenpooper in the first place.

Meople on June 18, 2014 at 11:11 PM

I’m curious, when was his staffer on the ballot for Governor?

jaydee_007 on June 18, 2014 at 11:16 PM

I’m curious, when was his staffer on the ballot for Governor?

jaydee_007 on June 18, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Business as usual for Dims. That whole thing we heard about ObamaGlitch, “we have to pass it so we can find out what’s in it”, BS. They all have the same mentality and the end results are always exactly the same. Disaster. And they always refuse to take blame for any of it.

Meople on June 18, 2014 at 11:21 PM

The polling must be terrible on Hickenlooper’s gun control and this is on top of the Democrats already losing two state Senators.

RJL on June 19, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Just go away and rot in hell.

jaywemm on June 19, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Democrat liar….thought I know…redundant statement.

ProfShadow on June 19, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Did you see my ‘walking back the walk back’ animation inspired by Morrissey’s earlier post? Commenters on comonocreerendios liked it.

bour3 on June 19, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Where did Coloradans ever find this imbecile.

leader4hru on June 19, 2014 at 1:32 AM

The 4 Republican candidates are:

1) Former Congressman Tom Tancredo

2) Former Congressman Bob Beauprez

3) Secretary of State Scott Gessler

4) Former State Senate Minority Leader Mike Kopp.

wren on June 18, 2014 at 11:01 PM

I live in Weld County. John Cooke is my current Sheriff. I’m very sad that he’s term-limited and isn’t running this November. However I voted for his endorsee, Steve Reams. On his webpage, someone asked him about the Boston city-wide lock-down. Mr. Reams’ response was that he would never do that to Weld county. In fact, if such a threat happened, he said he would ask all residents to arm themselves and work with the County Sheriff Deputies in stopping the threat. That answer was good enough for me.

So with that context, I voted for Bob Beauprez. Yes he’s a more traditional Republican. But he’s much more conservative than the establishment. He has said he will gladly do everything he can to repeal the unconstitutional gun laws passed last year.

Tom Tancredo is more representative of the Tea Party. My good friend has insulated 2 of his homes and has spoken to him personally. He said Mr. Tancredo was very down to earth and real. Unfortunately, Tancredo says things that allow him to be painted by the left as an extremist too easily. He won’t stand a chance against Hickenlooper who’s already perceived as a “pragmatic” and “moderate” Democrat. He’s going to be very hard to beat.

Gessler apparently hasn’t done a very good job of preventing voter fraud here in Colorado so I question his competence.

Kopp doesn’t have a chance.

Bob Beauprez isn’t the perfect conservative, but right now he’s the best chance right now to reverse what the Democrats rammed through last year in their ignorance and stupidity (remember the dumb b!+ch last year who argued that limiting mag capacities would cause all 30 round magazines to eventually be discarded once all the “bullets were used up”?).

UnstChem on June 19, 2014 at 1:44 AM

Also, most of the anti-Beauprez ads running right now in Colorado are paid for by Dem/Prog PACs. They are trying to choose Tancredo as our primary candidate for us.

UnstChem on June 19, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Hickenblooper….you’ve got a real winner there CO.

Another Drew on June 19, 2014 at 2:59 AM

Magpul rep unavailable for comment, having left the state and taken jobs and tax revenue with them.

Turns out stupid laws can be as dangerous as guns…possibly more so.

Sgt Steve on June 19, 2014 at 3:18 AM

Anyone who still supports Hickenlooper after these statements should be ashamed of themselves.

Perspicacious on June 19, 2014 at 3:48 AM

Um, I beg to differ, Governor…..

It WAS effective…at driving Magpul from your state.
It was effective at keeping people like me who crossed off Colorado as a vacation destination.
It was effective at helping us in other states keep an eye on our legislators and legislation.
It definitely was effective in the recall/resignation of several Democrat state senators and legislators.
And, it appears, it was effective in getting some staffer blamed by the Governor of the state for signing this heinous piece of legislation. (Democrat tactic 103: Blame shift…aka “I didn’t do it. It’s not my fault. see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFvujknrBuE )

Of course, it wasn’t very effective for the legislation’s stated intent.

There is one “Law” that you can’t repeal or replace, Governor, and that is the “Law of Unintended Consequences”

Let’s just hope another effective action of this legislation is that you aren’t re-elected, Governor, since you rely on your staff to make these kinds of decisions for you instead of yourself.

ProfShadow on June 19, 2014 at 6:57 AM

another liberal trying to not loose a reelection

you wanted a bad law
you got your bad law

now the citizens will vote you OUT

pack you bags you lying P.O.S. liberal

sniffles1999 on June 19, 2014 at 7:32 AM

he now says
gee whiz it is a bad law
so I’m sorry, so now you can reelect me
and by the way I am not going to repeal the law so at the end of
it all
screw you

sniffles1999 on June 19, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Dishonesty, thy name is Hickenlooper.

The governor passed a bill he wanted and knew the people were largely against it. He didn’t care and thought the dissatisfaction would fade with time. It hasn’t.

Now, as he looks at the polls and growing unpopularity in almost all sectors of the public, the people get more lip service.

If Hickenlooper was honest about this, he would put the prestige of his office behind a full throated repeal.

He has not. Which tells you everything that needs to be known about the mendacious, cowardly governor.

Marcus Traianus on June 19, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Sounds like someone is hoping to get reelected.

Grammar Nazi on June 19, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Hickenlooper: Firing squad of one.

vnvet on June 19, 2014 at 8:41 AM

The one change that Obama has actually brought to this country…He has empowered all Democrats to lie openly, stupidly, and without fear! Democrats (who have always played fast and loose with the truth) will now lie at the drop of a hat. Obama has empowered them to embrace the inner liar…and they have! They will lie openly to anyone and everyone…about anything, no matter how obvious and insane the lie is…

It’s unbelievable what has begun to jump out of the mouths of Democrats since Obama has shown them the way…Lie…lie some more…lie about lying…lie, lie, lie…about everything! And the more insane the lie, the more outlandish and unbelievable, the better.

TomCoats on June 19, 2014 at 8:43 AM

This I agree with. With the press on their side these folks will say anything that suits their purpose, both to get the law passed and then, afterwards like here, to explain it later. “Fake but accurate” is acceptable practice, for Democrats in politics or the press.

MTF on June 19, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Hickie is admitting that the decision to sign such a monumental bill was made by a staffer and not the elected leader of the state. Remember, CO, this is your leader, the one who’s supposed to protect you in times of trouble and toil, and he doesn’t even make the major decisions that are best for you without looking thru the prism of politics.

Kissmygrits on June 19, 2014 at 9:13 AM

The reason the term “SHIT FOR BRAINS” was coined!

Deacon on June 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM

It doesn’t matter how many magazines are out there.

We should not base our right to bear arms on the existing base of firepower.

The Guvs mea culpa looks more like him forming the basis for confiscation.

ha_tspc on June 19, 2014 at 9:53 AM

OK. People of Colorado,

WHY do you think they call it DOPE?

So stop acting and voting like you are all HIGH. OK?

Missilengr on June 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM

“Hey, I was stoned during that whole time”

BobMbx on June 19, 2014 at 10:24 AM

For everyone here at HA who don’t live in Colorado, let me clear up a few common misconceptions:

1. We are not all high. There are very many Libertarians in this State who voted to legalize, simply as a ‘f*ck you’ card to D.C. Which brings me to…
2. We Libertarians will not stop until dems stop attacking our Constitutionally guaranteed rights. Ask Evie Hudak.

3. John Hickenlooper is evil on a scale you can’t possibly fathom. Oh, sure he looks and *sounds* like a nice enough fella, but therein lies the most dangerous guile of the hard left; the ones who lie about their agenda, and cut your throat when you least expect it. Give me killary or Mr. Bojangles any day over ‘The Looper’…because at least the first two make little pretense at their level of mal-intent.

True, Denver and Boulder are brimming full of leftist California rejects…but fear not, America. Just because you don’t see us on the news, doesn’t mean there are no Conservatives in Colorful Colorado.

Remember, we won this country originally, by using guerilla tactics on the Brits…we’ll free it a second time the same way.

a5minmajor on June 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM

So stop acting and voting like you are all HIGH. OK?

Missilengr on June 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Can’t – most of the population of the Peoples’ Republik of Denver-Boulder are stoned lefties – and they have the population majority of the the state.
However, the rest of the state is mostly conservative – which is where we managed to recall 2 lefty gun-grabbing Dem legislators.

Tancredo for Governor!!!!

He11 – ANYONE but the Chickenpooper…..

dentarthurdent on June 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM

For everyone here (and some of you in Colorado who operate on bias and misconconceptions:

No he’s not. This is one of the issues (among many) he’s an idiot on.

Back in 2010 I had been working with a guy (first name is Steve) who leaned a little left when I first started talking to him.. By that time, we’d had many conversations and I had given him enough evidence that he had come around and started seeing the truth about progressives. He realized they were enemies to his freedom and way of life.

I came into work one day and mentioned my displeasure at learning that the latest polls showed Hickenlooper the clear front runner. Steve said to me, “Oh, I actually know him. I’ve been friends with him for years. He’s a really good guy.” Steve went on to tell me he had lived in the same neighborhood with Hickenlooper for years and knew him very well and he would be a middle-of-the-road Democrat.

I was very skeptical of Steve’s assessment of Hickenlooper but I had no reason to believe Steve would mislead me. It turned out Steve was right. Hickenlooper, for the most part, has been a moderate Democrat. He’s a huge supporter of fracking. He even drank some biodegradable hydraulic fluid during a press conference to prove to the environmental wackos that it’s safe.

Both Steve and I worked with Sarah Ridgeway, the mother of Jessica Ridgeway who was butchered in 2012. I knew Jessica through her mother because of the many conversations about raising kids we’d had. I went to the big Memorial Service held in Arvada and was irritated that Gov. Hickenlooper was on the program to speak. However, I was very surprised. Not once while speaking, did Gov. Hickenlooper politicize anything about Jessica’s death or make a single political statement in his remarks. It was a very heartfelt and genuine address that anyone here would welcome if it was their loved one. Other than the issue of fracking, that’s the only time I supported my current Governor.

So no, Gov. Hickenlooper isn’t evil. He’s actually considered by many on the left to be “too squishy”. He’s pissed off a lot of them here who feel he’s betrayed them. He hasn’t given Independents and Moderates in this state much reason to throw him out, which is why I said it will be difficult to beat him.

No we didn’t. We won because God delivered the Hessians into the hands of Washington’s rag-tag civilian army at Trenton and then continued to divinely inspire him.

UnstChem on June 19, 2014 at 12:13 PM

It’s not like you’re gonna have a hard time finding a magazine.”

The only people who will have a hard time are law abiding citizens.

Any gun control law that impedes lawful use but does not impede unlawful use is not only bad, its dangerously bad.

taznar on June 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Tancredo for Governor!!!!

He11 – ANYONE but the Chickenpooper…..

dentarthurdent on June 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I prefer him as well and it’s quite possible he’ll win the primary. The latest polls show him 1 or 2 points ahead of Beauprez. However, strategically speaking, I think Beauprez has a better chance of making the case against Hickenlooper.

There’s already Dem/Prog PACs attacking Beauprez to give the primary win to Tancredo. Then they can paint him as a right-wing extremist which he most likely won’t effectively counter against. The fact that Tancredo got 30% of the vote 4 years ago running on the Constitution Party ticket doesn’t mean much this time around. Colorado is bluer than it was previously, and Hickenlooper has a record that can be cherry-picked to make him look good to Independents and left-leaning Libertarians.

UnstChem on June 19, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Gee Lickenpooper who’d have figured you want to mess with a constitutional right that people might get upset? Moron.

bbinfl on June 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM

UnstChem on June 19, 2014 at 12:34 PM

The Dems definitely appear to want Tancredo to win the primary, since they are attacking Beauprez more – which is why my wife wants to vote for Beauprez.

There may be a lot of ammo for the left to attack Tancredo, but they’ll make up lies as much as they want anyway, no matter who the GOP candidate may be. But I see Beauprez as a GOPe type, and I want someone who will actually do something to turn the state around.
And the reality is, the Dems don’t seem to fully understand just how many people they PO’ed with their gun control laws and their green energy slam on rural utility rates. Hicky seems to be getting a slight clue – as shown by his lame attempts to apologize to the Sheriffs for what he did – and he’s stepping all over himself in the process….

dentarthurdent on June 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM

dentarthurdent on June 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I keep telling myself that. We keep seeing these glimpses of outrage at the progressive power grabs. Hopefully it’s enough here to go our way.

Even though Hickenlooper is stepping all over himself, it’s a rare thing to see a Democrat actually apologize for anything instead of deny, double-down, “look at that shiny object over there”, “racists”, etc.

On a more positive note, driving between Firestone and Johnstown along Colorado Blvd (12 mile stretch), I can now count almost 15 new fracking oil rigs that weren’t there 4 months ago. The same is happening all over Weld county. Some other Democrat wouldn’t have allowed that. We should be grateful where we can.

UnstChem on June 19, 2014 at 1:26 PM

UnstChem on June 19, 2014 at 1:26 PM

The problem though is Hicky really isn’t apologizing for signing the gun control bills into law. He “apologized” for not talking to the Sheriffs before he signed the bills, he blamed his staff, he claimed “he didn’t know what was in the bill he signed”, and he sure as he11 isn’t saying anything about fixing (repealing) the bad laws he signed.

And as to the fracking taking place – whose land is it on?
If it’s private land, the Dems would have to make a specific effort to stop it – which some have been trying but so far failing to do. This is no different than King Putt and the Dems trying to take credit for the oil and gas boom that’s taking place DESPITE their efforts to stop it.

dentarthurdent on June 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM

And as to the fracking taking place – whose land is it on?

dentarthurdent on June 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM

All good points.

In Longmont last year, there was much contention between the Frackers and the anti-Frackers. It didn’t help that Longmont, even though pretty conservative, is in Boulder county. Hickenlooper’s support of fracking helped to counter that. Yeah, most of the drilling is on private land, but political influence goes a long way.

UnstChem on June 19, 2014 at 2:29 PM

There are multitudes of politicians like this guy tip-toeing around all levels of government. Can’t lead. Depend on incompetent or corrupt staffers to guide them. It’s no wonder swaths of a state vote to impeach people in their government who do not represent them.

knutsandvolts on June 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM

“My staff made me do it.”

How lame. But pretty much to character.

bartbeast on June 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM

UnstChem on June 19, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Oh, well since your friend “Steve” says he’s ok, then I must be wrong. I’ll call Donny Young’s family and tell them Hick’s a swell guy, because even though Donny was murdered at the hands of an illegal alien, one of thousands that ‘Hick’ welcomes into Colorado with open arms, and worked in one of the Gov’s former businesses, he’s really a swell guy.

And because he went to Jessie Ridgeway’s funeral, he’s a swell guy.

What the blue Hell has that got to do with the fact that Hickenlooper is a pragmatic scumbag that would sell his mother for a vote? He didn’t politicize anything, because the psychotic animal that killed Jessie hacked her into little pieces. So, there goes Hick’s big anti-gun speech, but he can still show up and look sympathetic, right? Have the Post come take some good shots of him.
stop utilizing the tragic loss of a child to invoke some sympathy from people for a guy who would sell them in a heartbeat. Actions speak louder than words, and this man’s actions tell me he’s a snake.

I’m real happy for both of you and Steve that the Gov supports fracking…but that’s an easy way for him to appear moderate.

Fracking is a ridiculous loss on the left, and he knows it, so why not pick that to cozy up to industry on, and spread himself around. Never a bad idea to pick up a well-funded industrial vote, right.

Oh, and a group of German mercenaries, who were duped and forced into service to begin with, surrenders to a vastly superior ambush by a group of hardcore patriots who march with no shoes in snow and cross a previously thought insurmountable obstacle, is *NOT* divine intervention.

It’s an early example of unconventional warfare, genius.

a5minmajor on June 19, 2014 at 6:57 PM

He got his hand spanked, so he claims he never intended to actually eat the cookies in the jar. All a big misunderstanding.

Screw him. If he is too stupid he shouldn’t be in charge. If he is a liar, he shouldn’t be in charge. If he has no ethics, he shouldn’t be in charge.

Send him packing.