Out: President Jeb Bush. In: Vice President Jeb Bush!

posted at 5:21 pm on June 17, 2014 by Allahpundit

Maybe we should take this deal. The GOP establishment seems to have decided at some point that America needs a member of the Bush nuclear family on the Republican ticket every 10 years or so. Pushing the “Bush slot” down from number one down to number two is at least a step in the right direction. Keep that downward trend going and who knows? Maybe the Bushes will be content with cabinet posts circa 2040 or so.

Terrible thought: Would making Jeb VP in 2016 simply make a Jeb 2024 campaign that much more inevitable? Gulp.

“Jeb would be perfectly acceptable to the base if the nominee is a proven conservative,” said a prominent Republican consultant. “If it’s [New Jersey Gov. Chris] Christie or some moderate, Jeb would be a no go. On the other hand, if a right-wing nominee wanted to make a bow towards the middle and add some Hispanic vote appeal, Jeb would be a good choice.”…

“Jeb could be a safe choice for anybody,” said [Stu] Spencer, who worked for three Republican presidents. “He has name ID, a Spanish background, [is] a former governor, and he’s conservative.”…

“A straight-up tea-party ticket cannot win,” adds one of the GOP’s most prominent fundraisers. “Too many Republicans and independents will just flat-out not vote for a ticket with two tea-party guys. It will not happen.”

And if he has to campaign for only three months as a veep nominee instead of more than two years swimming upstream to be president, a senior Bush family source predicts his wife would sign off. “Being picked for president-in-waiting would be ideal for him and his family,” the consultant said.

My favorite line comes from a member of the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles: “Jeb Bush would deliver Florida for Republicans, increase our ability to raise money, and is practically Hispanic.” That’s the real box for the 2016 ticket that he checks, of course — not that he’s a Bush but that he’s “practically Hispanic,” as it’s a cinch that the GOP will try to make up ground with Latino voters next time by nominating a Latino Republican for president or vice president. That means Susana Martinez, Marco Rubio, or Ted Cruz. Or Jeb.

But which presidential nominee could get away with making Bush his number two? If it’s true that the base won’t stand for a ticket comprised of two moderates (I don’t think it is, but whatever), then realistically that means Cruz, Scott Walker, or Rand Paul. Cruz would be reluctant to do it, I think, even though it would help heal the rift with the establishment after a brutal primary just because he’s so invested in protecting his conservative credentials. It would be weird to see the tea party’s favorite senator shock the world by winning the nomination and then, in his first big move as nominee, turn around and make a famous RINO his second-in-command. There are ways he could sell that to conservatives — Ronald Reagan added a RINO named Bush to his own ticket in the interest of winning, didn’t he? — but it wouldn’t be true to his brand. Walker is a better bet, but if he runs an outsider-versus-insider campaign against the Clintons, having a Bush on the ticket with him would be less than helpful. Why would he choose Bush, who might overshadow him, when he could choose Martinez or Rubio? Walker will also have the advantage of being more or less acceptable to establishmentarians, so he could afford to bypass a big-name centrist like Jeb in favor of someone more obscure.

Which brings us to Paul, the most interesting man in the field here (as always). Paul and Cruz get lumped together because they both champion tea partiers and will be competing for right-wing votes, but they’re positioned differently vis-a-vis the establishment. Cruz’s brand is rejectionist; he’s going to run to the right as an unapologetic conservative and see if he can build a movement that even the donor class can’t bury. Paul’s brand, however, is accommodationist. He’s the guy who backed Mitch McConnell against Matt Bevin, he’s the guy who’s been chattering lately about how U.S. airstrikes in Iraq might be acceptable, he’s the guy who’s forever preaching that the GOP needs a bigger tent and that only his brand of libertarianism can reach across the aisle. His great fear is that the donor class will see him as such a loose cannon that they won’t go to bat for him even in the general election against Hillary. Nothing would calm those fears and signal “accommodation” like putting a Bush brother on the ticket. Libertarians would grumble that he was selling out and beginning to drift left towards the Beltway’s center of gravity, but having him as nominee would leave them closer to real power than they’d ever been. They’d tolerate it. Conservatives would be grumpy too, mainly because they disdain Jeb, but no one except the hawkiest of hawks is going to cross the aisle and vote Hillary because they’re not crazy about a Paul/Bush ticket.

Imagine the inauguration, with proud dad Ron chatting about foreign policy with happy brother George W. Electric.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I did a HotAir/Google search. He was on last night’s QOTD.

22044 on June 17, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Correction: he was on Sunday’s QOTD. Then he was on this headline.
Of course, we can’t view the headlines at the moment…

22044 on June 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Look at that picture. You can’t tell me Hillary is the only one with health issues.

will77jeff on June 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM

The presidential nominee that accepts Jeb as veep nominee does not have my vote.

And what’s up with this Koolaid banning, cabrons?

M240H on June 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Go with Ted Cruz and you don’t need someone that is “practically Hispanic.”

Amnesty Will HURT us, Not Help

Here’s Why

It seems to be that leftists journalists and establishment types want to make it all about kowtowing to the Hispanic vote. This, even though Hispanics makes up a meager 10% of the population, and a major swing in the GOP Hispanic vote would have little impact compared a simple two percentage point swing in the white vote.

Imagine a 5 percent swing in the white vote. And that’s one of the problems we have in thinking that we can win through amnesty. Because a large fraction of independents, Republicans, and Democrats are outraged by what’s happening to our country, and, so, given a good candidate (not Romney) or appeal on immigration (Romney made no appeal on that issue), they would vote GOP. Last time, remember, we had “the missing white vote.” IF WE SURRENDER ON AMNESTY: we lose a huge fraction of the vote, as this fervent anti-amnesty vote would be free to vote Democratic.

Further, it has been pointed out that in 1984 the Republican presidential candidate (Reagan) got 34% of the Hispanic vote. In 1988, the Republican (GHWB) got 30%. Down four points, this is AFTER the 1986 amnesty.

No, amnesty will NOT help increase our Hispanic vote, but it will dramatically hurt our staple / essential white vote.

And, of course, in short order it would lead to millions of new Democratic previously illegal voters that will turn Texas blue, and generally weaken Republican prospects at all levels.

anotherJoe on June 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Well then your judgement is questionable to say the least.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I voted for the man – unlike an estimated 4m GOP children who stayed home.

BTW – you and end the insults and ridicule – your input is welcome here.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I voted for the man – unlike an estimated 4m GOP children who stayed home.

Oh, I did too. But which is it: the GOP can’t win without those 4 million, or those 4 million were no problem because Romney won the base?

BTW – you and end the insults and ridicule – your input is welcome here.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM

What insults and ridicule? I’m just telling the truth. I know it hurts.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I thought he would take the fight to Obama – I was wrong.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Well then your judgement is questionable to say the least.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Yeah, well, he Coulda ran a better race, but at least he ran.

M240H on June 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Conservatives better put forward a great candidate – or a lot of babies are gonna stay home and pout. !!!

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Hey, GOP Establishment, more of the same for this guy! He’ll do whatever you need!

Kensington on June 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM

What insults and ridicule? I’m just telling the truth. I know it hurts.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Ok – good luck to you – last reply

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM

^ Oh, and I would add I didn’t vote for the man in 2012. I voted against the other man.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Yeah, well, he Coulda ran a better race, but at least he ran.

M240H on June 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Yes – and yes – well said

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:20 PM

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Kensington on June 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM

LOL, exactly.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Yeah, well, he Coulda ran a better race, but at least he ran.

M240H on June 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Yeah? So did Huntsman.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Ok – good luck to you – last reply

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Agreed. Ignore ddrintn–too juvenile.

will77jeff on June 17, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Well then your judgement is questionable to say the least.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM

\

I don’t think that’s being fair to jake or anyone else who thought that (myself included), considering Obama was not only horrible in the first debate, but was tremendously vulnerable throughout every major issue. It seems to me that Romney “gave up” after the infamous Candy Crowley moment which he should have used as a springboard to dismantle the Obama cult completely.

Instead? He might as well have rolled over.

Aizen on June 17, 2014 at 6:22 PM

You may have stumbled onto why Paul supported McConnell.

He is goning be Cruz’ VP.

He apeaesed the miniscule group of RINOs to heal the establishment rift, will bring in the libertarians with his name, and then will join with Cruz to create the perfect storm…

Well, it makes as much sense as then wild swing above…

conservativeBC on June 17, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Do they not understand that we are tired of and do not want the same old, same old geezers? Other than the historical artifacts, if DC was to sink into the swamp on which it was build, no one would care.

Tinker on June 17, 2014 at 6:23 PM

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM

And…conservatives had better put forth a GREAT candidate…but yet any mediocre GOP squish will get jake’s GOPe-decreed Electability Seal of Approval because he’ll think they will probably take the fight to the other guys or something.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:23 PM

\

Instead? He might as well have rolled over.

Aizen on June 17, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Ignore the backslash, that was inadvertent.

Aizen on June 17, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Yeah, well, he Coulda ran a better race, but at least he ran.

M240H on June 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Yeah? So did Huntsman.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Why yes, yes Huntsman did run. Like a girl … who didn’t run. What’s your point?

M240H on June 17, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Instead? He might as well have rolled over.

Aizen on June 17, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Bingo – that was the moment – that was the moment very well said.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:24 PM

ddrintn,

Go to your room!!!

(y)Our betters want to talk…

Gohawgs on June 17, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Agreed. Ignore ddrintn–too juvenile.

will77jeff on June 17, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Well, convenient, when you don’t have any real counter-argument.

That’s being absolutely fair when the same arbiters of “electability” are going to be at it again.

Instead? He might as well have rolled over.

Aizen on June 17, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Romney was going to roll over for the Dems from the word go.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Still NO.

No more Royal Dynasties.

ConstantineXI on June 17, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Why yes, yes Huntsman did run. Like a girl … who didn’t run. What’s your point?

M240H on June 17, 2014 at 6:24 PM

What’s yours? Yeah, Romney ran for 6 years. So?

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Bingo – that was the moment – that was the moment very well said.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:24 PM

And boy, that MItt was just beating Obama like a rented mule before that mean old Candy Crowley… lol

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:28 PM

No more Royal Dynasties.

ConstantineXI on June 17, 2014 at 6:26 PM

My honest reply – I agree with this – but then I think – what if Jeb Bush had all the policy positions of Ted Cruz – and could win?

What would our view of Jeb be then?

In the end – the candidate and his/her policies are the deciding factor.

Along with looks, money, husband/wife, past history, kids, etc.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM

and he’s conservative

His grandfather, father, and brother have all been prominent Republican RINOS.

burt on June 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I voted for McCain after many shots and swished in wearing khakis and boat shoes, full of single malt scotch to vote for Romney. I don’t pout, but if the establishment wants to shoot down conservatives and put up another establishment loser, it won’t matter if I stay home. They will lose.

Well then your judgement is questionable to say the least.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I voted for the man – unlike an estimated 4m GOP children who stayed home.

BTW – you and end the insults and ridicule – your input is welcome here.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I am not a baby or child, which is insulting. We were getting along so fine. Might want to stop and consider the last two campaigns. Establishment crashed and burned.

HornetSting on June 17, 2014 at 6:31 PM

First of all, if the political calculation for the VP nominee is that s/he must be Latino, then that’s cool with me. Ethnicity nor race are important factors in voting for me or most Americans conservatives.

Second, if you think for one second that the national media (and therefore Hispanics at large) are going to accept Ted Cruz or Jeb Bush (or maybe even Rubio) as “true” Hispanics, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you (I know that Cruz and Rubio actually have a Hispanic heritage, but since when has the truth mattered to the media?). If they don’t accept Herman Cain or Clarence Thomas as black, then why would we expect them to accept actual conservatives who are Hispanic as Hispanics?

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 6:32 PM

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM

What if Jimmy Carter had had all the policy positions of Ronald Reagan? What if my great great grandmother had been a man?

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Romney was going to roll over for the Dems from the word go.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Electability is only plausible if the candidate himself tries to get elected. For a lot of conservatives? Romney wasn’t trying (or not trying hard enough).

Aizen on June 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM

OT: Anyone know when and which thread KoolAid2 got the hammer?

OmahaConservative on June 17, 2014 at 5:54 PM

You guys were not kidding. Damn.

HornetSting on June 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM

What if my great great grandmother had been a man?

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:32 PM

You’d be a dem…

Gohawgs on June 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM

HornetSting on June 17, 2014 at 6:31 PM

100% with you on this one – I am – honest.

I hated my vote for John McCain – I think he is unstable.

My record is not pristine – I voted and work for Perot as a kid – I voted for Bob Dole and threw up in my soup doing it, I voted for GHWB (first time).

Elections are crap shoots – find a great candidate is rare – so very rare.

In the end – I fight for my choice – if he/she loses – I vote the GOP candidate – even if I have to throw up in my soup.

I vote – always – I would never not vote – it is my privilege.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Aizen on June 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM

That’s hilarious. You mean you actually thought that a moderate like Romney was actually going to put up a fight against anyone other than GOP challengers? Tell me it ain’t so.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I would vote for Cruz with a RINO VP. He has so far shown himself to be conservative and confident enough to not allow a RINO VP to affect him much. Remember, the strong VP only became a thing with Bush/Cheney. Even the current administration has reverted back to the VP being a bumbling idiot with a meaningless title.

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Wait… I thought that “Once the primary is over, we have to unite behind the nominee.”?

Oh, that only applies when the establishment foists a Republican Progressive (I REFUSE to call them Neo-Cons anymore)on the base, NOT when the Tea Party wins the day and the pro-cronyism, pro-illegal immigration, pro-government healthcare takeover, Washington elite types lose. (Its kinda like when Lindsey Graham and Co. attempt to compromise with Democrats and the “compromise” ends up being one-sided.)

papabryant on June 17, 2014 at 6:37 PM

My record is not pristine –

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM

LOL

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Aizen on June 17, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Desire – passion – hell bent focus and competitive fire — Romney lacked.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Jeb Bush didn’t deliver Florida in 2008 or 2012. What makes 2016 different?

Iblis on June 17, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Desire – passion – hell bent focus and competitive fire — Romney lacked.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Not to mention an ideological core.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Jeb Bush didn’t deliver Florida in 2008 or 2012. What makes 2016 different?

Iblis on June 17, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Shhhhhhhhh…

Gohawgs on June 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM

No Bush as POTUS, VPOTUS, Cabinet Officer, or judge. Period. No more bushes.

Jeb is not a conservative by any reasonable measure. He’s like his brother Dubya and Father. All are leftists and unworthy of office.

Quartermaster on June 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Quartermaster on June 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM

You certainly do not lack clarity.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:41 PM

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Yes, and he started to do so until that second debate.

I’m also a little bewildered at what you’d expect conservative/Republican voters to otherwise have done: if they don’t believe their candidate will put up a fight against the Democrat, exactly why should they go out and vote for that candidate?

It’s not like Romney was Bob Dole in demeanor and mannerisms.

Aizen on June 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I’m sure whoever is coronated by the GOP will be off to another stunning defeat

Brock Robamney on June 17, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Jesus, the establishment is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Talk about a thin bench.

reddevil on June 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM

davidk on June 17, 2014 at 6:44 PM

And, No

davidk on June 17, 2014 at 6:45 PM

HornetSting on June 17, 2014 at 6:31 PM

100% with you on this one – I am – honest.

I hated my vote for John McCain – I think he is unstable.

Elections are crap shoots – find a great candidate is rare – so very rare.

I vote – always – I would never not vote – it is my privilege.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Hypothetical, since you were playing up thread. What if Hillary Clinton saw the writing on the wall and switched her party to republican, won the primary, would you vote for her?

HornetSting on June 17, 2014 at 6:46 PM

I’m sure whoever is coronated by the GOP will be off to another stunning defeat

Brock Robamney on June 17, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I don’t think a “coronation” is going to happen.

I think November (’14) and November ’16 – are going to be a massive swing to the right.

I really do

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Really, AP? 2008, 2012 and the several “moderate” incumbents who have been ousted in recent years isn’t proof enough for you?

Granted, 2008 had a legit conservative in Palin, but she was too much of novice and got railroaded. More importantly, the top of the ticket was a certified (and certifiable) RINO with stability issues.

Here’s an idea: after 24 years of having “moderates” at the top of the ticket, let’s try putting a conservative there and see what happens?

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 6:48 PM

HornetSting on June 17, 2014 at 6:46 PM

WOW – that made me laugh – partly because of how improbable it is – but always because you called me cold.

Awesome reply – remind me not to play poker with you.

Now – my answer is “NO” – but now what do I do?

Great reply

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:48 PM

What if Jimmy Carter had had all the policy positions of Ronald Reagan?

ddrintn

What if Jimmy Carter had all the policy positions of Jimmy Carter and ran as a republican? Jake would say we have to vote for him because he’s a republican or we’re babies, lol.

xblade on June 17, 2014 at 6:50 PM

HornetSting on June 17, 2014 at 6:46 PM

You are sharp – I have to watch myself with you – no doubt

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:51 PM

xblade on June 17, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Ok – the first time was funny – but PLEASE !!!

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Vice President Jeb Bush!

RJL on June 17, 2014 at 6:53 PM

America — Stay out the Bushes !

~~ Rev. J. Jackson

RedPepper on June 17, 2014 at 6:56 PM

First, no Jeb. Not as Pres, not as VP, not as national dog catcher. Just no. Old Bush power brokers that want back in the game can pound sand.

Second, why is everyone losing their minds on this thread? Whether you are right or not is immaterial. There really is no need to be so personal. Considering I’m pretty quick to raise hell, it should tell you how idiotic the tone is if I’m suddenly the voice of reason.

Third, what happened to Koolaid? What did I miss?

Irritable Pundit on June 17, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Bush is not an option.

Bmore on June 17, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Vice President Jeb Bush!

Just say NO!!!!!

The Bush clan is NOT conservative: it is 100% RINO!!

Evidence: Tax hikes (Bush #1), Medicare Drug plan (Bush #2).

landlines on June 17, 2014 at 6:58 PM

“A straight-up tea-party ticket cannot win.”

= Nonsense.

Bmore on June 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Irritable Pundit on June 17, 2014 at 6:56 PM

… a voice of reason

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM

MeanWhile,…at the GOP Ranch:

2014 US elections
4m
Rep. Ron DeSantis, R-Fla., says he supports Rep. Raul Labrador, R-Idaho, for House majority leader – @frankthorpNBC
====================================================

Tweets
Tweets and replies

Frank Thorp V @frankthorpNBC · 14m

In stmt, Rep Ron DeSantis (R-FL) says he supports Rep Labrador for Majority Leader

Replied to 0 times

Frank Thorp V @frankthorpNBC · 26m

But leaving PA delegation mtg Rep Gerlach said the delegation hasn’t decided on a consensus Whip candidate as they haven’t met w/ Stutzman

Replied to 0 times

Frank Thorp V @frankthorpNBC · 28m

PA Delegation mtg breaks up, Rep Gerlach (R-PA) says: “We, as a consensus are for Kevin (McCarthy) for leader”

Replied to 0 times

Washington, DC
Frank Thorp V @frankthorpNBC · 36m

Rep Labrador on Boehner: “If he stays I can work with him…and I think we could have a good relationship.”

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 7:00 PM

= Nonsense.

Bmore on June 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM

It is nonsense – you’re right.

Any ticket can win – the candidates simply have to be appealing.

Simple as that

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:00 PM

There is no Tea Party, just posers in search of power and fame. TEA is a stand alone adult beverage. Get used to your lack of control over the substance. It can be addictive.

Bmore on June 17, 2014 at 7:01 PM

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Evening jake. Just getting in, hope I didn’t miss much. ; )

Bmore on June 17, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Evening jake. Just getting in, hope I didn’t miss much. ; )

Bmore on June 17, 2014 at 7:02 PM

As always – inside HotAir – great passion – some spot on – some displaced – some just looking for someone to vent toward.

I like to say – Bizarro-World – these days.

You are a great example of passion and conviction – I may not always agree with you – or you with me – but you are always here – you are consistent – and that is never a bad thing.

I joined HA in late 2007 (if memory serves) and while not always here on a daily basis – when I am here – I always learn and I try to always admit when I am wrong.

My biggest hope – I hope Ted Cruz will prove me wrong and rise to the top of the GOP for 2016.

If he does – my will apologize for months – with a smile.

Cruz has stones.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:08 PM

If Repubs pass amnesty between now and 2016, a straight Conservative ticket may be the only chance they’ll have to win in 2016.

lineholder on June 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM

lineholder on June 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Spot on

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I wouldn’t want that joke as a animal control agent.

MoreLiberty on June 17, 2014 at 7:13 PM

My record is not pristine conservative

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Fixed that for ya…

wraithby on June 17, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Mr. Jeb Bush should run for president of Mexico in order to show his extraordinary “Act of Love” for illegal aliens.

sohumm on June 17, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I have an idea. Why don’t we run two old white moderate men? It’s worked so well in the past.

cat_owner on June 17, 2014 at 7:15 PM

The Ds are almost certainly going to have a woman and Hispanic on the ticket. Not necessarily Hillary though. I’m thinking Warren.

cat_owner on June 17, 2014 at 7:18 PM

My record is not pristine conservative

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Fixed that for ya…

wraithby on June 17, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I would characterize myself this way:

Fiscal – very conservative
National Security – very conservative
Personal Rights – very conservative
Social Issues – moderate (leave me and my neighbor alone)

Does that help?

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Oliver North 2016

Bishop on June 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Third, what happened to Koolaid? What did I miss?

Irritable Pundit on June 17, 2014 at 6:56 PM

The hammer fell on him…

OmahaConservative on June 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM

cat_owner on June 17, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Remember this post everyone – it may be clairvoyant.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Cruz has stones.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Time will tell. ; )

Bmore on June 17, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Time will tell. ; )

Bmore on June 17, 2014 at 7:23 PM

One thing I do know – no one wants to debate Ted Cruz. EVER

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:25 PM

lineholder on June 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM

If the GOP passes amnesty between now and 2016, you won’t get a conservative near the GOP ticket. Depending on how soon before 2016 the GOP shoots itself in the head, if it does, conservative presidential candidates will either sit out 2016, or be the first presidential candidate to run on the new conservative party ticket. Either way, the GOP implodes.

de rigueur on June 17, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Either way, the GOP implodes.

de rigueur on June 17, 2014 at 7:28 PM

No – the GOP will survive – it will fight inside itself and it will vote to defeat the Democrats an the left

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:30 PM

The hammer fell on him…

OmahaConservative on June 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM

What??? When was this?

And since I haven’t seen him around lately, did Axe get the hammer too or does he have other things going on right now?

lineholder on June 17, 2014 at 7:32 PM

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Don’t count on it, jake. Platform for the GOPe is big business crony capitalism, Common Core, pro-amnesty, and abandonment of traditional values.

Lot of voters who won’t support that could either sit it out or look elsewhere.

Plus, GOP will have signed their own death warrant if they pass amnesty.

lineholder on June 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM

lineholder on June 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Could be.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:38 PM

My record is not pristine conservative

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Fixed that for ya…

wraithby on June 17, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Come on folks, jake’s original comment was probably correct. I voted for Romney (sigh), McCain (ugh!), and Bush (twice!). In retrospect, I’m not exceptionally proud of any of those votes. I voted for McCain, in particular, knowing that the man is vile. In fact, the accumulation of those “votes for the lesser evils” has convinced me that I will never again vote for the (R) simply as the lesser of two evils. I must have something to vote FOR!

But don’t excoriate those who are likely just as “conservative” or “libertarian” or “liberty-minded” as you are just because they have not lost hope in the (R)’s yet. We should appreciate their positions (while perhaps disagreeing slightly) and understand that their positions could change with the next headline. I couldn’t tell you the particular straw that broke this camel’s back. I don’t remember. But once that back is broken–once you understand that the GOPe is not in power to represent you but to use you–there is no going back to voting for a person solely out of party loyalty.

Give those whose loyalty has not been stretched past the breaking point a chance to see for themselves. Try to encourage them to see the GOPe for the blight it has become rather than lashing out at them for blindly following the party. Is there any among us who has not blindly followed the party at some point?

Having said this, cut all concern trolls down at the ankles and burn the corpses.

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 7:38 PM

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Lolz! Will pay big $ to watch though.

Bmore on June 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I would characterize myself this way:

Fiscal – very conservative
National Security – very conservative
Personal Rights – very conservative
Social Issues – moderate (leave me and my neighbor alone)

Does that help?

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Almost, just need your weight. I’ll be able to report a positive Chris Christie siting to my RINOrnithology group.

wraithby on June 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM

What if Jimmy Carter had had all the policy positions of Ronald Reagan?
ddrintn

You don’t have to go that far. Why don’t you just put an ‘R’ after his name, and I bet a large number of Hot Air Republicans would vote for him, telling us he is the only one who can win

Brock Robamney on June 17, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Romney was going to roll over for the Dems from the word go.

ddrintn on June 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I agree with that. Stop nit-picking on Jake:-) Every one that voted for Romney wasn’t aware that he would surrender!

bluefox on June 17, 2014 at 7:43 PM

lineholder on June 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Actually, lineholder, the OFFICIAL GOP platform is NOT big business crony capitalism, Common Core, pro-amnesty, OR abandonment of traditional values.

Quite the opposite. As David Brat so succinctly stated: The only problem with the Republican principles is that no one’s following them.

This goes double for the GOPe and has been true of the general GOP power structure since Bush41.

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Almost, just need your weight.

wraithby on June 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM

6’1″ – 190lbs

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:48 PM

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Very true that no one is following the traditional Republican platform.

That’s why I said the things I listed were the GOPe platform. ;-)

lineholder on June 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM

“accomodationist”: No principle that he isn’t willing to sell for the Presidency!

searcher on June 17, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Jeb Bush didn’t deliver Florida in 2008 or 2012. What makes 2016 different?

Iblis on June 17, 2014 at 6:39 PM

This really should be important. So many Republican governors didn’t deliver in 2012…and Paul Ryan was the absolute worst.

monalisa on June 17, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Very true that no one is following the traditional Republican platform.

That’s why I said the things I listed were the GOPe platform. ;-)

lineholder on June 17, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Sorry. Missed the “e.” And I’m only on my first glass of wine…

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Sorry. Missed the “e.” And I’m only on my first glass of wine…

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 7:53 PM

…. catch up

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM

cabrons?

M240H on June 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM

ROFL, I didn’t expect that!! Had to re-read it.

bluefox on June 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM