Out: President Jeb Bush. In: Vice President Jeb Bush!

posted at 5:21 pm on June 17, 2014 by Allahpundit

Maybe we should take this deal. The GOP establishment seems to have decided at some point that America needs a member of the Bush nuclear family on the Republican ticket every 10 years or so. Pushing the “Bush slot” down from number one down to number two is at least a step in the right direction. Keep that downward trend going and who knows? Maybe the Bushes will be content with cabinet posts circa 2040 or so.

Terrible thought: Would making Jeb VP in 2016 simply make a Jeb 2024 campaign that much more inevitable? Gulp.

“Jeb would be perfectly acceptable to the base if the nominee is a proven conservative,” said a prominent Republican consultant. “If it’s [New Jersey Gov. Chris] Christie or some moderate, Jeb would be a no go. On the other hand, if a right-wing nominee wanted to make a bow towards the middle and add some Hispanic vote appeal, Jeb would be a good choice.”…

“Jeb could be a safe choice for anybody,” said [Stu] Spencer, who worked for three Republican presidents. “He has name ID, a Spanish background, [is] a former governor, and he’s conservative.”…

“A straight-up tea-party ticket cannot win,” adds one of the GOP’s most prominent fundraisers. “Too many Republicans and independents will just flat-out not vote for a ticket with two tea-party guys. It will not happen.”

And if he has to campaign for only three months as a veep nominee instead of more than two years swimming upstream to be president, a senior Bush family source predicts his wife would sign off. “Being picked for president-in-waiting would be ideal for him and his family,” the consultant said.

My favorite line comes from a member of the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles: “Jeb Bush would deliver Florida for Republicans, increase our ability to raise money, and is practically Hispanic.” That’s the real box for the 2016 ticket that he checks, of course — not that he’s a Bush but that he’s “practically Hispanic,” as it’s a cinch that the GOP will try to make up ground with Latino voters next time by nominating a Latino Republican for president or vice president. That means Susana Martinez, Marco Rubio, or Ted Cruz. Or Jeb.

But which presidential nominee could get away with making Bush his number two? If it’s true that the base won’t stand for a ticket comprised of two moderates (I don’t think it is, but whatever), then realistically that means Cruz, Scott Walker, or Rand Paul. Cruz would be reluctant to do it, I think, even though it would help heal the rift with the establishment after a brutal primary just because he’s so invested in protecting his conservative credentials. It would be weird to see the tea party’s favorite senator shock the world by winning the nomination and then, in his first big move as nominee, turn around and make a famous RINO his second-in-command. There are ways he could sell that to conservatives — Ronald Reagan added a RINO named Bush to his own ticket in the interest of winning, didn’t he? — but it wouldn’t be true to his brand. Walker is a better bet, but if he runs an outsider-versus-insider campaign against the Clintons, having a Bush on the ticket with him would be less than helpful. Why would he choose Bush, who might overshadow him, when he could choose Martinez or Rubio? Walker will also have the advantage of being more or less acceptable to establishmentarians, so he could afford to bypass a big-name centrist like Jeb in favor of someone more obscure.

Which brings us to Paul, the most interesting man in the field here (as always). Paul and Cruz get lumped together because they both champion tea partiers and will be competing for right-wing votes, but they’re positioned differently vis-a-vis the establishment. Cruz’s brand is rejectionist; he’s going to run to the right as an unapologetic conservative and see if he can build a movement that even the donor class can’t bury. Paul’s brand, however, is accommodationist. He’s the guy who backed Mitch McConnell against Matt Bevin, he’s the guy who’s been chattering lately about how U.S. airstrikes in Iraq might be acceptable, he’s the guy who’s forever preaching that the GOP needs a bigger tent and that only his brand of libertarianism can reach across the aisle. His great fear is that the donor class will see him as such a loose cannon that they won’t go to bat for him even in the general election against Hillary. Nothing would calm those fears and signal “accommodation” like putting a Bush brother on the ticket. Libertarians would grumble that he was selling out and beginning to drift left towards the Beltway’s center of gravity, but having him as nominee would leave them closer to real power than they’d ever been. They’d tolerate it. Conservatives would be grumpy too, mainly because they disdain Jeb, but no one except the hawkiest of hawks is going to cross the aisle and vote Hillary because they’re not crazy about a Paul/Bush ticket.

Imagine the inauguration, with proud dad Ron chatting about foreign policy with happy brother George W. Electric.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

…. catch up

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM

As stated earlier, I have already completed my first glass of wine for the evening. I doubt that I will be able to catch up.

Also, I (kinda) defended you upthread, and this is how you repay me?!?!

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Actually, if you give me a President Cruz, Jindal, Walker, Perry, or such, I could live with a Bush in that number two slot. Let him spend his days traveling the talk show circuit and such.

Flyovercountry on June 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM

You’d be a dem…

Gohawgs on June 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM

:-) He isn’t? Just kidding ddrintn, but you are being a pita.

bluefox on June 17, 2014 at 8:06 PM

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM

And…this is now on top of what is likely the last page of comments for this article. Thanks, jake.

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Vote the Elite Ticket: Clinton/Bush 2016!!

kcewa on June 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Kind of wasted a Bishop there, huh?

kcewa on June 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Also, I (kinda) defended you upthread, and this is how you repay me?!?!

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 8:05 P

I apologize – all good wishes extended – today is (so far) a 20 hour day.

Energy futures !!!! – all good -

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Kind of wasted a Bishop there, huh?

kcewa on June 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM

a wasted Bishop³ ?

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Don’t count on it, jake. Platform for the GOPe is big business crony capitalism, Common Core, pro-amnesty, and abandonment of traditional values.

lineholder on June 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Conservatives provided the votes that enabled the GOP to take the House in 2010. The GOP Establishment has declared was on conservatives ever since.

bw222 on June 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Appealling to the middle aged white male constituency that is such a problem for the Republican party./

talkingpoints on June 17, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Vote the Elite Ticket: Clinton/Bush 2016!!

kcewa on June 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM

That was my first thot when reading the thread headline. Jebbie or “practically Hispanic” Hebbie thinks highly of Hillary.

What is wrong now with this thread format? My screen name is at the top of my reply!

bluefox on June 17, 2014 at 8:23 PM

a wasted Bishop™ ?

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM

I thought it a nice page turn. You even thought to bring jake with you. ; )

Bmore on June 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I won’t sleep tonight.

Well, they did foist Spook Daddy on Reagan. Nancy cried bitterly that night. I mention this only for HA’s younger readers who may not recall it themselves. Because they hadn’t been born yet or something.     : )

Toocon on June 17, 2014 at 8:39 PM

In college Jeb Bush majored in Latin American Studies.

Really! Not a joke. This shows that in college Jeb was very worried about his future income… not! Got to believe that when Jeb said illegal immigration is an “act of love” he’s given up any idea of running. Because not even the most leftist of Democrats would say something so patently out of step with the mainstream electorate.

anotherJoe on June 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM

No to political dynasties.

workingclass artist on June 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Let’s make Jeb Miami Dog Catcher.

lel2007 on June 17, 2014 at 9:06 PM

So now we pick our Vice Presidents first?

ProfShadow on June 17, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Speaking of Vice President, during the US vs Ghana game, they showed Biden watching, and commentator Ian Darke called him the President of the United States. Personally, I don’t have the heart to tell Joe it’s not true.

Christien on June 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Get lost Bush.

Mr. Arrogant on June 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM

I apologize – all good wishes extended – today is (so far) a 20 hour day.

Energy futures !!!! – all good -

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 8:12 PM

No worries. I wish you well at the conclusion of your very long day, and I am glad that you share your thoughts with the rest of the commentariat of HA. I agree with you at least as much as I disagree with you. That being said, I will now indulge in typing comments that I would normally only think:

I hope you will forgive me if I attempt to eviscerate you in another thread or on another topic. I believe fervently in what I said when I defended you. You are absolutely entitled to your own opinion and beliefs. But, like many commentators on this site, I am also completely fed up with being marginalized and taken for granted by the elected officials of my own (R) party. Anyone who who is seen as even possibly defending the GOPe, or Democrats, or the status quo is immediately relegated to the status of “enemy.”

Sometimes I can’t help myself. I see the thoughts or actions of those who claim to be conservative or Republican–but agree in part with leftists–to be traitors or liars. I know that the full range of thought and (ugh!) feeling (ugh!) makes it possible for someone like jake to both agree and disagree with me at the same time. In fact, I agree and disagree with plenty of people (like jake) every day. But to attribute the same tension in thought and feeling to someone with whom I disagree confers upon that person the status of being an actual, live person. It is easier to call that person an “enemy” and treat him or her as such. Especially in comment sections of the internet.

These admissions do not in any way diminish the validity of my position on any given subject, or the strength of my conviction. Indeed, it is the strength of my conviction that drives me. I will debate an adversary tooth and nail in a given subject (until I change my mind for very good and well-thought-out and self-evident reasons, of course). My sarcasm here is not meant to imply that there is no objective truth that can be discerned by humankind. Indeed, I believe that truth is discernible if one is willing to learn. And I mean real truth that is true for anyone, anywhere, at anytime. Not some “true for me, but not for you” kind of thing that our politicians tend to espouse.

You probably also feel this to some extent.

So, here is a decent approximation of what should be the general apologies of the commentariat of HA:

If I deride you for a position that I later take on myself: I apologize.

If I resort to personal attacks over a position that I find I can no longer defend rather than admitting defeat: I apologize.

If I make assumptions about what you think and then tear you down based on those assumptions: I apologize.

I do not do so with intent. I am only so blinded by the strength of my conviction that I cannot see what you see.

HOWEVER, know this (and this should be the creed of every good-faith member of the HA commentariat):

I think through my positions very carefully, so that the positions I take are rarely changed except through information and honest debate, so debate me honestly and with good information.

I think personal attacks are the last bastion of weak positions and I rarely hold positions that are indefensible, so call out me if I attack on a personal basis and require me to defend my positions.

I do my best to avoid straw men because I dislike when others assume things about me. So if I misstate your position, then explain it to me again. I will do my best to understand your position even if I cannot agree with it.

My honest reply – I agree with this – but then I think – what if Jeb Bush had all the policy positions of Ted Cruz – and could win?

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I, for one, would gladly vote for Jeb Bush under those circumstances. Anyone who likes Cruz but wouldn’t vote for Bush if he honestly held the same views as Cruz is a liar or a fool. I don’t like political “dynasties” in general because they lend themselves too easily to corruption. However, I now vote for the person. Not the party. Not the family. Not the name.

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I say build a giant goal along the border and let Ochoa defend it.

Christien on June 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM

What a great post – I tip my hat to you for putting forth you honest and heartfelt opinions.

You are a rock star HotAir member.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 9:49 PM

n college Jeb Bush majored in Latin American Studies.

He also was in the Socialists Club.

Jayrae on June 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM

You are a rock star HotAir member.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Thank you for your commendation. Just saying what everyone here on HA knows to be true to some extent or another…I can’t say I always abide by it, but that is my ideal for commenting here or anywhere else.

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Bush
Period.

EFF OFF JEB. I wouldn’t vote for this pinhead if you put an RPG to my head.

Diluculo on June 17, 2014 at 10:03 PM

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I try (try) to engage with people on a blog the way I would engage with them in person.

The keyboard all too often becomes a ticket for vulgar awful dialog – because no one is looking into the eyes of their target.

As you say – it’s hard to live up to this idea – but the more we remind ourselves of this – the less we slide into hate speech.

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 10:04 PM

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I agree on all points. Conservatives/libertarians, in particular, should exhibit self control even when conversing through the (semi) anonymous comment sections of the internet.

If we really believe that personal liberty requires personal responsibility, then we should be displaying that personal responsibility in our interactions with others.

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM

VP Jeb?

No way. Not a frickin’ chance.

Pork-Chop on June 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM

VP Jeb?

No way. Not a frickin’ chance.

Pork-Chop on June 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Even if it means President {insert your favorite conservative here}?

Really?

Not saying VP Jeb is necessary to win, or even preferable, but if it came down to the Dem and your favorite conservative with Jeb as his/her wingman?

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Named Karl Rove.

A “prominent Republican consultant?” Who happens to be negotiating what is transparently a Bush family-approved settlement of terms with the Tea Party as a paid lackey?

Yeah, that’s Rove, and if I’m Karl I’m angry at the NJ for outing me so blatantly.

HitNRun on June 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM

This is actually good news. The weasel republican “consultants” (ie;the democrat voters who run republican political campaigns) are starting to think a conservative nominee is inevitable even at this early date. I want to help them with this, Ted Cruz for President. Gives hispanics their first president. Right, as if that would get them to vote republican. A president mccain would have passed amnesty and given them all citizenship by now but they still voted for overwhelmingly for obama. I think the highest percentage to vote republican since Reagan was bush’s first term and it probably was less than 35%.

peacenprosperity on June 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM

HitNRun on June 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM

The Great Pumpkin finally appears!

Honestly, if that’s the approved settlement of terms between the TEA Party and the GOPe, then I’m all aboard. That kind of settlement would mean conservatives have finally made an impression on the (R) leadership that won’t soon go away.

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 10:35 PM

By the way, jeb bush was a moderately successful governor during a period of high economic growth that was not of his doing but still left the state in a fragile condition where the downturn in the national economy was felt immediately and severely. He left the state in the hands of his handpicked successor, charlie crist (that alone should disqualify him from any further higher office) and has repeatedly insulted conservative Americans since leaving office. Do not assume that bush would necessarily help win Florida. He is not as popular down here as the washington cretins believe.

peacenprosperity on June 17, 2014 at 10:36 PM

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM

You do realize that VP is the President of the Senate, and he can do a lot of damage if he is a Rino squish, like Jeb Bush

Brock Robamney on June 17, 2014 at 10:38 PM

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM

You make a good point..:)

Dire Straits on June 17, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Allah, it is true. I will not even accept a ticket with Bush, Christie or PAUL Ryan at the top of the ticket. I would have serious reservations voting for a Marco Rubio or Scott Walker. Two moderates is a non starter. I would let my undervote fly.

h a p f a t on June 17, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Brock Robamney on June 17, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Yes, I do (realize that VP is the President of the Senate). I also realize that the VP is rarely sighted in the Senate chambers and almost always has jack squat to do with the proceedings of the Senate. The rare occasions in which the VP actually presides over the Senate are almost universally high-profile, President-directed events. As long as the President is an actual, dyed-in-the-wool conservative who thinks for his/herself, then I’ll take my chances with a squish VP. The instances in which the VP has had a deciding vote or even any real influence in the Senate are VERY few and far between.

Here’s the breakdown:

If the choices are between a (D) in the oval office or a true conservative President with a RINO VP, I’m voting for the true conservative. Easy vote. No hesitation.

If the choices are between a (D) in the oval office and RINO President with a true conservative VP, I’m voting third party. (2008 was not a good year, after all)

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 10:50 PM

h a p f a t on June 17, 2014 at 10:48 PM

I couldn’t vote for Paul Sequester Killer Ryan under any circumstance, vp or not. Marco Rubio would be a very conflicted vote, in which I would lean no, same with Scott walker and Ramnesty Paul

Brock Robamney on June 17, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Brock Robamney on June 17, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Most importantly, no one is going to have Paul Ryan as a VP running mate.

My knee-jerk reaction to all of those you mention is the same as you outlined: no way, no how. BUT, if the top of the ticket is a real conservative a la Cruz (assuming he doesn’t cave on some important issue between now and 2016), then I would wind up voting (R) and feel pretty good about it.

If the President is strong like Reagan, then the VP is fairly inconsequential. If the President is weak like Bush43, then the VP is more important.

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 11:09 PM

This is a tough one. Rejecting Bush would mean that the GOPe would throw tantrum after tantrum and may damage a President Palin campaign like they are doing with Mcdaniel campaign.

Accepting Bush on board though will have several long term consequences. The GOPe will resign itself to wait for another 8 years if needs be. After that they will ride on the popularity of the conservative president, win a third term and then quickly make deals with the Democrats and undo whatever the conservative president has been able to accomplish. GOPe is both Scylla and Charybidis.

promachus on June 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Put Walker, Palin, Cruz, in the No. 1 spot and I could live with Jeb as VP.

pdigaudio on June 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM

If Jeb is on the ticket, I’m out.

Conservchik on June 18, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Lil Jeb should listen to his mother…

Gohawgs on June 18, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Eric Cantor’s loss will probably keep any pro amnesty candidate off the ticket. Jeb Bush will be like Rudy Giuliani in 2008 waiting for the Florida primary.

edrebber on June 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM

promachus on June 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM

OK I have thought about this. Adding Jeb to the ticket would inevitably drag it down and sink it. The MSM would have a field day with it and it doesn’t bring any benefits.

If establishment wants a place at the table, they have to find another guy.

promachus on June 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM

You’d be a dem…

Gohawgs on June 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM

:-) He isn’t? Just kidding ddrintn, but you are being a pita.

bluefox on June 17, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Prove me wrong. And I’m not the pimping moderate sure-losers.

Yes, and he started to do so until that second debate.

Give me a break. Romney really never got out of the gate against Obama. A couple of zingers in a debate?

I’m also a little bewildered at what you’d expect conservative/Republican voters to otherwise have done: if they don’t believe their candidate will put up a fight against the Democrat, exactly why should they go out and vote for that candidate?

Good question. Think about it for a while.

It’s not like Romney was Bob Dole in demeanor and mannerisms.

Aizen on June 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM

How was he that much different?

ddrintn on June 18, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Air Force One must be one he11 of a ride. Nobody wants to get off of it. The Clinton’s and now Bush. I hope the Obama’s don’t follow this trend.

We need to cut back on the perks of the job a little.

HellCat on June 18, 2014 at 1:18 AM

No Bush. No Clinton. No Romney. No Obama. No. No. No.

Theophile on June 18, 2014 at 1:41 AM

I have many times commented on the folly of trying to predict the nominee from an open contest nearly two years in advance. The record shows that popular wisdom is rarely correct. Only when there is a clear “heir apparent” is it as likely as a coin flip, because for every George H.W. Bush or Mondale or Gore there is also a Muskie or Hillary Clinton ’08. And of those sure things, only Gore didn’t have real opposition.

But when you get down to trying to pick a VP, it’s just ridiculous. One size does not fit all. Nominees have different needs to fill with the slot.

õ¿õ

Some are chosen for youthful vigor, like Eagleton or or Kemp or Gore. Some are intended to please a part of the party, like Dole or GHWB or Palin. More rarely the Veep needs to bring “gravitas” like LBJ, Bentsen, or Cheney. Even more rarely the choice is made to avoid any chance of a palace coup if thing go bad, like Quayle and Biden.

So talking about who will be the Veep choice is about as relevant now as talking about what invading alien species might look like.

Adjoran on June 18, 2014 at 2:16 AM

I believe Jeb Bush would be excellent cabinet caliber, but not VP. One VP in the family is enough.

If there has to be a RINO GOP VP nominee then Mitt Romney or John Boehner has much better candidates to the VP nomination.

For my self, i believe, John Boehner would be an outstanding RINO VP nominee, because of some important factors ; Number One : He is from Ohio, an important swing state, Number Two ; his political connections in D C, and experience as House GOP conference chair, House Committe Chair, House Majority and Minority Leader, and of course as House Speaker, Number Three ; It prevents the GOP Elite from backstabbing a strong conservative GOP POTUS nominee, and of course Number Four ; It frees a possible electorally successful conservative GOP POTUS nominee to select a conservative Speaker, who unconditonally and loyally will do a conservative POTUS bidding, on making the conservative Legislative agenda in to Federal Law.

It has been done before, for example, Schuyler Colfax 1869 – 1873 (R- Indiana ) and John Nance Garner 1933 – 1941 ( D- Texas ) .

Swedish Patriot on June 18, 2014 at 5:21 AM

How did we in America ever created the deceit that that God-loving, family-loving, law-loving (constitution)hard-working, responsible, non-parasitical citizen is gasp, “Right Wing?”

Don L on June 18, 2014 at 5:39 AM

promachus on June 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM

I always look back at history with that question. We did get Reagan who won two landslides, but then we had the Bushies in power. And we saw what they did with that power in disastrous terms with Bush 41 and Bush 43 administrations

Brock Robamney on June 18, 2014 at 5:43 AM

edrebber on June 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM

It won’t make a difference. We ran the Father of Obamacare in 2012. Do you think they care what we think about Amnesty?

Brock Robamney on June 18, 2014 at 5:46 AM

Don L on June 18, 2014 at 5:39 AM

Because the GOP found it easier to shift to the left instead of making the arguments that a majority of Americans support. Conservatism works whenever it is tried. Either that, or the Irving Kristol Bushies have taken over the RNC just like the Alinskyites took over the DNC. All of this for an ideology that only 20% of Americans support

Brock Robamney on June 18, 2014 at 5:51 AM

The inference here is that conservative voters would actually vote when given that choice, ignoring that when a crux comes up the general resolution is simply not to vote. Given the fact that their choice would be Hillary, which for most conservatives is an automated no, or Paul, a man who’s concept of foreign policy and projection of power makes Carter look like a military savant? That looks more likely to inspire malaise for the action of voting, rather than voting against. Further, consider that for years the right has been harping on POTUS’ inexperience before entry into the office look extremely hypocritical putting forward Paul. Paul’s sole experience being an opthamologist looks better to the right than Obama’s lawyer/prof years, but ignores executive background. Both lacking executive experience, then enter the Senate and attempt runs for POTUS as junior members. In essence, Paul becomes the GOP’s Obama as an inexperience ideologue out for the nation’s highest office; sans any historical first woman/minority to achieve office vibe. The left is likely to seize on that and run with it: worse, they’d be right to.

Anecdotally, I consider voting for Paul every bit as abhorrent as voting for Clinton due to those keystone issues. He’s equally inexperienced as the current POTUS was, upon entry to the office, and his foreign policy directive is every bit as insane as his father’s, simply packaged more palatable. I personally find the man’s changing of his military stance in his annual Plan to Revitalize America to be two-faced where it isn’t simply wrong; if you haven’t kept track, he went from arguing for the logistical handicapping of the ability to project power and cutting the military budget in 2012/2013 to arguing for a return to presequester military spending levels when he took the backlash. He might make sense on a number of issues, but voting for someone so incredibly crippled on the foreign policy front in order to replace someone that, shockingly, appears less so? If the GOP falls to the Paul machine? Yeah, no dice.

Ebola on June 18, 2014 at 5:51 AM

I don’t want a Bush on the ticket at all.

Jeb should stay home. Or maybe the next GOP president can make him ambassador to France.

DRayRaven on June 18, 2014 at 6:01 AM

CRUZ-MARTINEZ 2016

mountainaires on June 18, 2014 at 6:43 AM

Ebola on June 18, 2014 at 5:51 AM

The scenario of candidates you’re presenting is the pro amnesty ticket versus the DNC voter drive. The inexperience factor is the least of my concerns. What is important foremost is policy. Woodrow Wilson had executive experience. My issue is that will 117 trillion in debt, that we are running with the same Progressives who got us in this mess in the first place. It is too late to go with the lesser of two evils candidate. We need another Reagan Revolution to clean this up

Brock Robamney on June 18, 2014 at 6:43 AM

Brock Robamney on June 18, 2014 at 6:43 AM

The candidate scenario was Allah’s, not mine. If your, and alot of the rest of conservatives, primary issue is $117T in public debt, inexperience should, logically, be of primary concern. Voting for someone simply on the basis of their party ticket is not putting into place an individual capable of fixing it. In fact, inexperience leads to repeated rookie mistakes, which in turn leads to an actual damaging of both brand and longline capability to accomplish the aforementioned goal. Paul doesn’t have the political gravitas, nor economic accumen, to forward a magical fix to the debt. His being President could, quite likely, damage the goal of a balanced budget as the public watches a Paul administration bumble about.

I agree on the lesser of two evils thought process and completely on the policy being of foremost importance; I simply fail to see where we’re not stuck with that exact scenario. As for the thread itself, the Paul/Jeb union put forward by Allah is legitimately scary on alot of fronts, where voter confidence and turnout is concerned.

Ebola on June 18, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Right . . . and Cantor was a sure thing.

rplat on June 18, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Someone has cranial-rectal-inversion syndrome and ostrichitis simultaneously. A rare double affliction. For many years now, the Republican base has overwhelmingly declared the Republican establishment to be to the Left of and out of touch with its base. Likewise, a majority of Independents have declared the same thing. Only among the Left is there even a plurality that suggests otherwise.

Now, top that with the Ruling Class Republicans going to war against their own base and p*ssyfooting around with Leftists, and you get some clown saying The Base Will Accept Two Mushies. Not even the recent top-o-the-ticket mushies believed that nonsense.

Noah, you fool, put down the hookah and buy yourself a clue.

John Hitchcock on June 18, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Noah Allahpundit, you fool, put down the hookah and buy yourself a clue.

FTFM

Note to self: Lern2abc.

John Hitchcock on June 18, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Sounds like we’ve got the GOPe on the run. Jeb is a nice guy and was a good gov in Fla. I voted for him both times, but don’t want him anywhere near a campaign. If there are 2 TP guys on the ticket, the GOPe is telling us that they will stay home or vote for the woman on the other side. We should tell them, our guys are inevitable and they should hold their noses and vote for them anyway. This is how it’s supposed to work, right. It did for us.

Kissmygrits on June 18, 2014 at 8:50 AM

No Bush. No Clinton. No Romney. No Obama. No. No. No.

Theophile on June 18, 2014 at 1:41 AM

No Bush
No Clinton
No invaders
No dragons
No trolls

It’s a catchy song. :-)

Fallon on June 18, 2014 at 9:11 AM

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM

yaedon on June 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Great sentiments. Means nothing. This is a bit of a strawman argument in and of itself, because we know Bush doesn’t have all (maybe not even a few) of the policy positions of Ted Cruz.

Take this a step farther and claim that you’d vote for OBAMA “if he honestly held the same views as Cruz”… right? I mean, you’d be a “liar or a fool” to disagree.

But what’s the point of that entire masturbatory mental exercise? Obama doesn’t hold Cruz’s views, and neither does Bush, so…

Yeah, I’d vote for Atilla the Hun if he held the same views as Cruz. *rolls eyes and makes the universal air masturbation hand motion* There, do I pass the test?

Midas on June 18, 2014 at 9:30 AM

How about “Dog Catcher Jeb Bush”?

Nope.

Ward Cleaver on June 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM

A little too soon to fret over Jeb’s consolation prize.

virgo on June 18, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Jeb-Take the advice you mother gave Sarah Palin: stay home and shut up. In fact, I wish Old Lady Bush (the 85 year old woman with the 125 year old face) would take that advise herself.

bw222 on June 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM

What was it another Bush said a few decades ago? Oh yeah…

Reagan’s “voodoo economics” wouldn’t work.

So how do you know a Tea Party ticket wouldn’t win? Has one been run?

(Not saying that’s even what should happen- just pointing out that the genius minds recommending VP Bush would have most likely pointed out in ’78-79 that Reagan would be “unelectable….”)

cs89 on June 18, 2014 at 1:42 PM

How about “Dog Catcher Jeb Bush”?

Nope.

Ward Cleaver on June 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM

You’re right. We’d have PETA, ASPCA and the Humane Society howling about that.

hawkeye54 on June 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Well, I can kinda see the logic. Ronnie did it for much the same reasons.

PJ Emeritus on June 18, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Who in their right mind would want Bush as their V.P. running mate? He would undermine and overshadow the Presidential candidate.

lea on June 18, 2014 at 4:16 PM

IF IF IF IF

An actual LIMITED Government CONSERVATIVE won the nomination he should tell the gop establishment to —- itself.

NO MORE BUSHES, or any other Progressives.

Telll the gop establishment if they don’t like it then they can go form the Bull Moose party 2016 version.

PappyD61 on June 18, 2014 at 6:43 PM

We do not need something like what happened with Reagan happening again with another RINO statist Bush near the reigns of national power!

There was not a single New Right figure in the top echelon of the Reagan Administration. They were all CFR and Bush people. There were a few conservatives briefly in the lower levels. Then, one by one, they quit.

There has long been a question: Why did Reagan risk alienating his followers by breaking his word? The answer: he had no choice if he wanted to win.

On July, 2009, Dr North went public with this much of the story.

The following story I believe is true. It was told to me by W. Cleon Skousen (The Naked Communist, The Naked Capitalist). Immediately prior to Reagan’s smiling announcement of Bush as his VP running mate, Reagan had spent the weekend at a large estate in Leesburg, Virginia. At that meeting was one of Skousen’s relatives (not Mark or Joel). He witnessed two CFR members, very prominent, who cornered Reagan for the weekend. According to this third-hand, unverifiable testimony — which Skousen relayed to me a few years later — they presented Reagan with a choice: Bush as VP with media neutrality or someone else with media skewering. One of these figures was a talking head with enormous influence. The other was a Rockefeller hireling with enormous influence. One is still alive. One of them still has influence.

The one who no longer has influence was Cronkite, the talking head. At some point, the other member of the two-man team will die. I will reveal his name at that time.

We just do not need the IA Amnesty / Agenda 21 / Common Core shill who is paid by a CC test publisher to be in any kind of influential national position. And JB knows little that is meaningful about the military, etc., etc.

Falcon46 on June 18, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I think independents would break hard for a 2 tea party ticket.

As an independent I can tell you these moderate republicans are as useless as teets on a bull.

Look at them in congress. Paralyzed by political correctness. Pitiful really.

Lonetown on June 18, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Midas on June 18, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I am uncertain as to what in my reply kindled your ire. The question posed was admittedly a straw man, but I simply answered it honestly. I did not ask it. In fact, you take my logic even further and come to the same conclusion. Also, your obvious, but misplaced, disdain for the “liar or a fool” comment does nothing to disprove its veracity. I am uncertain as to what “test” you are hoping to have passed, so I cannot help you there, either.

Perhaps I could more directly answer your objections to my statement if you put them in logical and civilized terms rather than simply appealing to base emotion. The juvenile eye rolls and references to masturbation tend to make adult conversation rather difficult.

Oh, and one more thing: I’m not your enemy. I have read your comments on quite a few threads in the past. If I recall them correctly, then we probably agree on a vast majority of policy issues. Keep your powder dry for your real enemies.

yaedon on June 18, 2014 at 9:57 PM

This to me is the “elites” admitting that a squish for president wont work, and is begging for a place at the table with bush as Vice. I say go for the whole enchilada the time is right.

jainphx on June 18, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Palin/Cruz
Cruz/Palin
Palin/West
Cruz/West

John Hitchcock on June 19, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Swedish Patriot on June 18, 2014 at 5:21 AM

I hope you are joking. Boehner on the ticket would result in a democrat landslide of epic proportions. I will be hopping a freighter for New Zealand and hoping their immigration service is a fraction as pathetic as ours.

peacenprosperity on June 19, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Listen, even Barbara Bush said it best when she said there have been enough Bush’s as President.

There are 310,000,000 people in America and all we can muster is a Hillary and a Jeb???

Have we become such a split class of citizens that only the elites can run?

archer52 on June 19, 2014 at 9:23 PM