James Rosen to State Department: Why’d it take nearly two years to arrest a Benghazi suspect who wasn’t hiding?

posted at 8:01 pm on June 17, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the Free Beacon, make sure to read Ed’s post earlier to understand just how openly Khattala, the jihadi nabbed by U.S. forces over the weekend, has been living in Libya since the Benghazi attack. He was a prime suspect from the very beginning; he gave multiple interviews to western media in the years since, all but taunting the White House to come pick him up. The criminal charges against him were filed more than nine months ago. Only this month, for some reason, did the military finally move in. How come?

Two possibilities. One: The political situation on the ground in Libya changed enough to make a U.S intervention possible. My theory of why Obama laid off initially was because he didn’t want the weak Libyan government to have to cope with a backlash from the local militias if American troops swooped in and kidnapped a big-name jihadi or two. As long as we could monitor Khattala and make sure he didn’t run, we could wait until the government was in a stronger position to make our move. Problem is, the government’s only gotten weaker over time; lately, Libya’s devolved into a classic military-warlord-versus-jihadis struggle for control of the state. The White House may have concluded that there’d never be a better time to move on Khattala.

Two: This is exactly what it looks like, i.e. Obama’s trying to stop the bleeding he’s endured lately on foreign policy over Ukraine and Iraq and the Taliban Five by seizing an easy victory. I’m old enough to remember when U.S. counterterror developments, especially “terror alerts,” were greeted by our liberal betters online as obviously political gambits by the Bush administration, designed to distract the public from more important matters. Questioning the timing was standard practice for the lefty blogosphere circa 2006. Today, of course, it’s the height of crankery to believe that a guy whose party is in deep trouble in the midterms, and who’s proved before that he’s not above well-timed executive action for electoral ends, might have given this order with an eye to putting some good news on the front page for once. That’s what Rosen’s getting at here. Jen “Promise of Hashtag” Psaki has no real answer, of course.

Comments

Oye!

jake-the-goose on June 17, 2014 at 8:04 PM

They found him by watching CNN

myiq2xu on June 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM

#Hashtag no excuses.

bernzright777 on June 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Why did it take 5 years of Obama Bullsh!t for Obama to be arrested….???

Oh wait…

He is God…

Electrongod on June 17, 2014 at 8:06 PM

It won’t work, except for the believers and the political class the rot has been exposed.

rob verdi on June 17, 2014 at 8:06 PM

“We needed the right series of screw-ups to prop this in front of….. Did it work?”

ThePrez on June 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM

jen psaki is stunning as always..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I missed the Hillary Fox interview. I wonder if she claimed if all is well because we caught the guy responsible. You know, the one without the access to YouTube.

joekenha on June 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM

His is a purely political decision that was made by Obama. Trying to distract from all the other issues going on. They could of arrested him long ago. Look a squirrel!

sadsushi on June 17, 2014 at 8:09 PM

They were looking for Waldo instead.

Flange on June 17, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Psaki-Psak has no idea why today seemed like a good day to go arrest this guy.

MTF on June 17, 2014 at 8:09 PM

jen psaki is stunning as always..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Stunningly moronic.

bernzright777 on June 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Things must be very bad for King Barky the Liar and his merry band of idiots to bring this guy out now and not in late October.

jukin3 on June 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Only this month, for some reason, did the military finally move in. How come?

Killery needs to say something about her killing spree in Benghazi ?

burrata on June 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Jen “Promise of Hashtag” Psaki has no real answer, of course.

She’d be able to answer if she only had a brain.

PolAgnostic on June 17, 2014 at 8:13 PM

“Expeditiously…” – I don’t think that word means what she thinks it means…

Sea Wolf on June 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM

jen psaki is stunning as always..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Stunningly stupid.

RickB on June 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM

joekenha on June 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I was flipping thru channels and happened upon the interview. I found her voice is now just as grating as president 4 putt’s. Had to keep flipping.

bernzright777 on June 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Would it kill the Obama regime to get one woman that doesn’t make throw up in the back of my mouth every time I see them?

Just. One.

jukin3 on June 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Brought to heel by the Power of the Hashag…Hag!!!

BigWyo on June 17, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Stunningly moronic.

bernzright777 on June 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM

In comparison to ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch, Jen Psaki IS an Einstein.

OR

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch is making a sexist evaluation/judgement which is a clear trigger warning of imminent rapist tendencies.

PolAgnostic on June 17, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Third possibility AP. Dear Liar needs a distraction from the IRS email debacle.

rbj on June 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM

joekenha on June 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Only caught the Greata part which wasn’t much about Benghazi.

I expect it to be up soon on the internet.

Barred on June 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Nice blue dress. Hillary will be having flashbacks no doubt.

Bmore on June 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Greata= Greta

Barred on June 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM

jen psaki is stunning as always..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Dude, the only thing “stunning” about this broad is that she has the phaser set to “max hackery” to obscure the petty politics Bambi is playing with this nation’s security.

M240H on June 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM

jen psaki is stunning as always..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM

More like stupefying.

Naturally Curly on June 17, 2014 at 8:22 PM

#sickofitall

EvilMonk on June 17, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Isn’t there some kind of rule about the simplest explanation being usually the right one?

Something about Oscar’s raise?

formwiz on June 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM

PolAgnostic on June 17, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I doubt kochhead would/could rape anything.

VegasRick on June 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM

This is a no-brainer……door number two!

Rovin on June 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM

jen psaki is stunning as always..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM

You sure this isn’t a sock?

sandee on June 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Something about Oscar’s raise?

formwiz on June 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Just assume the worst with this corrupt administration and you will be right 99.99% of the time.

VegasRick on June 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I doubt kochhead would/could rape anything.

VegasRick on June 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Seems to rape the truth regularly.

Flange on June 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM

You sure this isn’t a sock?

sandee on June 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM

The worst in HA history. And I’ve been here a long time.

VegasRick on June 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Seems to rape the truth regularly.

Flange on June 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM

True.

VegasRick on June 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM

You sure this isn’t a sock?

sandee on June 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM

The worst in HA history. And I’ve been here a long time.

VegasRick on June 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM

A stinker at that. Have you noticed how frightened and tentative it has become. Afraid of the laundry I suspect. ; )

Bmore on June 17, 2014 at 8:30 PM

aaaaanddd here it is folks, here
it
is :
———–
The muzie campaigns for Killery …..as I had predicted !

burrata on June 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM

More like hashtag #WagTheDog… :P

TMOverbeck on June 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Jen Psaki
Spokesperson
Daily Press Briefing
Washington, DC
June 17, 2014

LIBYA

Arrest of Ahmed Abu Khatallah

TRANSCRIPT:
1:34 p.m. EDT
MS. PSAKI: Hi, everyone. Thank you for your patience.

MS. PSAKI: Okay. Matt. I know there’s quite a bit in the world going on today, so go ahead.

QUESTION: There is. And as much as I would like to follow up on that question, her question, I will have – it will have to wait until a little later in the briefing.

MS. PSAKI: Okay. That is no problem.

QUESTION: The breaking news of the last two hours, the arrest of the suspect in the Benghazi attack, we have seen the Secretary’s statement on it. I’m just wondering, is this building – are people in this building disappointed or concerned at all that it took so long to arrest this guy, considering that he wasn’t really hiding? It’s not like this was a bin Ladin type character in the – hiding in the – I mean, he was hanging out in cafes and hotels and restaurants in Benghazi.

One, do you know why it took so long? And two –given that he was not hiding? And two, is there any concern in this building that there was such a delay?

MS. PSAKI: Well, let me first say that U.S. forces conducted this operation as soon as the President and his national security team were confident that the mission could be carried out successfully and consistent with our policies for undertaking such operations. And the operations have clearly been underway for some time. This planning – this final step was a painstaking process through – that many were involved in, including, of course, many in this building. But I’ll say that any time our law enforcement officials are engaged in an operation in a country overseas, that’s incredibly challenging and they deserve to be applauded.

And the comparison to the fact that a member of the media, with all due respect, had contact with or interviewed this individual is not relevant. That is not uncommon. It’s far from unprecedented for members of the media to interview terrorists or interview individuals along these lines. We’ve seen that occur in other cases. And frankly, it’s not a surprise that an individual like this would show up for an interview. We don’t think they would show up for a scheduled meeting with the special forces, so obviously it’s more challenging to undertake our operations.

QUESTION: Okay. But I – I appreciate the answer. I’m not sure I mentioned having him giving interviews, though. I just –

MS. PSAKI: Well, you mentioned being out there, visible.

QUESTION: Well, he’s hanging out at the cafe. Exactly. I mean, he wasn’t – so there is no – the second part of the question there. There isn’t any – people in this building are universally glad that this arrest has been made and no one is concerned about the fact that it took so long? Is that correct?

MS. PSAKI: Correct. We were closely involved, as would come in – as no surprise in the planning and the operations.

QUESTION: Okay. Can you say what changed on the ground that made it the right time to act on Sunday, as opposed to, say, Thursday or Friday of last week or months earlier?

MS. PSAKI: There are not operational details that I can brief out from here.

QUESTION: Can you describe what those circumstances that – what they might have been just in broad general terms? I mean, the security situation on the ground, that kind of thing?

MS. PSAKI: There aren’t other details I can share on that front at this time.

QUESTION: Can I ask on that?

MS. PSAKI: Go ahead, Jo.

QUESTION: There are several people who are identified as possible suspects in the Benghazi attack. Are there any indications of where the others might be? Are there any – I’m sure you’re not going to give us a heads up if there’s an operation coming, but were there anybody else – was there anybody else detained or apprehended at the same time as this gentleman?

MS. PSAKI: I don’t have any other details to share. As you know and as was noted in the Secretary’s statement, apprehending those responsible is a top priority for the – not just the State Department but the United States Government, and I can assure you we will remain focused on that goal.

QUESTION: Can I just ask also – there was quite a deal made a few months ago about the fact that these – that there have been no rewards posted for their apprehension. Can I ask you if the Rewards for Justice Program was in any way helpful in the apprehension of this person in Libya?

MS. PSAKI: Well, I believe since that time we had provided additional information publicly about Rewards for Justice. In terms of the specific involvement here, I don’t have any information on that. I’m happy to check if there was a direct involvement that we can share.

QUESTION: Jen –

QUESTION: Was the Libyan –

MS. PSAKI: Let’s just do one a time. Go ahead, Lesley.

QUESTION: Was the Libyan Government informed ahead of time?

MS. PSAKI: This was a unilateral U.S. operation. I’m not going to get into specifics concerning our diplomatic communications, but it was U.S. run and done under the operations of the United States.

QUESTION: Let me try it a different way. There was a period of at least several weeks, if memory serves, after the September 2012 attack on the consulate where U.S. law enforcement in particular were not allowed to come into the country to conduct the investigation. At the time, they indicated that there was a lot of concern that critical evidence as well as finding suspects might have been impeded because of the Libyan Government’s refusal to let them in.

Going back to Lesley’s point, was there permission for the U.S. military and for U.S. law enforcement to be on Libyan territory? Because I can already see the headlines being drawn: Is this another bin Ladin type situation?

MS. PSAKI: Well, we’ve long – the United States has long made clear to successive Libyan governments our interest in holding the perpetrators of the September 11, 2012 attacks accountable. That should come as no surprise. We’ve taken every necessary step in this case. I would refer you to any comments from the Libyan Government.

QUESTION: Was there any resistance during that period of appeal from Libyan authorities to having U.S. authorities on their territory to conduct their search, to conduct their investigation, were there security concerns about alerting them ahead of the efforts to bring in Khatallah?

MS. PSAKI: I just am not going to have more to share. I am sure that they will have their own comments to make, and I would refer you to them.

QUESTION: One of the things that’s been cited as a potential reason for not having acted before is the fear of some kind of retaliation. I’m wondering if that is still today a fear and if the – if there’s any – a new Travel Warning or any new advice that’s going to be coming out of the Embassy in Tripoli.

MS. PSAKI: Well, as you know, Matt, we take the security and safety of our men and women serving overseas incredibly seriously. We evaluate that on a day-to-day basis. I have nothing to project in terms of changes on that front.

QUESTION: And you don’t – so as of now, the Embassy is still staffed the way it was last week?

MS. PSAKI: Correct.

QUESTION: Is he being held on a U.S. Navy vessel? Is he being held in a third country, perhaps, at a U.S. military installation? Where is he, and how quickly would you expect that he would be brought to the U.S. for prosecution?

MS. PSAKI: Well, DOD has confirmed that he is in U.S. custody outside of Libya. I don’t have any other details to confirm. In terms of the timing, I would point you to the Department of Justice.

QUESTION: Has the Libyan Embassy or any of its representatives at the UN contacted the U.S. Government about having access to him?

MS. PSAKI: Consular access – as you know, we of course are committed in general to the principle of consular access. We’ll meet our obligations for consular access as and when appropriate. We’ll have that discussion with the Libyans, but I don’t have any other updates for you.

QUESTION: Have you determined yet to which federal court he might eventually appear?

MS. PSAKI: I would point you to the Department of Justice. Obviously they’ll be handling all of the legal and process components.

James, to what do we owe this? (Laughter.) I’m sure it’s this issue. Go ahead.

QUESTION: Actually, I’m covering a different story today, but insofar as this is the current thread of discussion, I wish to further pursue it with you, Jen. (Laughter.) In furtherance of Matt’s line of questioning, first, would you, in fact, agree that there has been a rather egregious delay seen in this case in finally apprehending this individual?

MS. PSAKI: I would disagree. This is a case where there’s no one more committed than the leaders in the United States Government, whether that’s the President, the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Defense, in apprehending those responsible for the horrific acts that occurred just a few years ago. But again, there are a range of factors that are taken into account in terms of the right timing for operations along these lines. The President made the decision with the support of the national security team about the timing, and obviously it was successful.

QUESTION: And so from where this government stands, from your point of view, a delay of what you just identified as just a few years between the commission of a given offense and the apprehension of one of the suspected individuals, that’s not egregious as a delay, just a few years?

MS. PSAKI: Well, James, our focus has been on apprehending those responsible, and we’ve taken every step possible to do that as quickly as possible. But taking on operations of these kinds are difficult, and there are a range of factors involved, and we did this – this was undertaken as quickly as was possible, given the circumstances.

QUESTION: In response to Matt’s questioning, you stated – I’m paraphrasing, but faithfully – that we should not be surprised that a suspected terrorist might more readily agree to show up for an interview with a reporter than he or she would for a scheduled meeting with the U.S. Special Forces. And respectfully, I submit to you that that is not properly framing the question, as no one would expect a terrorist to show up for a scheduled meeting with the U.S. Special Forces. The question being put to you, it seems to me, is why U.S. Special Forces couldn’t have an unscheduled meeting with this individual in a period of time less than, as you put it, just a few years.

MS. PSAKI: Well, James, with all due respect, I would say there are reasons why individuals, including terrorists, meet with reporters to gain more attention for their issues or their agenda. That is entirely different from any operation to take these individuals into custody. And there are a range of factors taken into account. Where we are today is that this individual, with the support and leadership of the military, the Justice Department, a range of officials in the interagency has been apprehended, and that is an important step forward in our view.

QUESTION: So I guess the question, along – following your own logic, the next question to be propounded to you is: Why didn’t we pose as a reporter to capture him then?

MS. PSAKI: Well, we appreciate your view. If you’re volunteering yourself for future endeavors, we’ll take that into account.

QUESTION: In other words – you’re still not addressing the central question, Jen. You’re not answering the question of why a reporter was able to get within six inches of this guy, and U.S. Special Forces weren’t for more than two years. What is the answer to that?

MS. PSAKI: Well, the answer, James, is that reporters have interviewed a range of terrorists in the past. There’s nothing new about that. They have their own desire to get their story heard, their agenda heard. That’s entirely different from taking the steps necessary to apprehend someone in a country – a third – a second – not the United States, as has happened in this case. We did it as expeditiously as possible, took into account a range of factors, and where we are today is that the outcome was successful.

QUESTION: Would you say that the most recent developments in Libya, like the coup or the – the coup by General Hiftar made the situation more likely or more ideal for apprehension or made it more urgent that you act now?

MS. PSAKI: I wouldn’t weigh in with that as a factor. I will just take this opportunity to confirm for all of you that General Hiftar, of course, had no involvement in this case.

QUESTION: No Libyan whatsoever was involved or informed that –

MS. PSAKI: Again, it was a United States unilateral U.S. operation.

QUESTION: Is that likely to –

MS. PSAKI: Go ahead, Matt.

QUESTION: Is that likely to sort of undermine U.S. efforts in the future for cooperation?

MS. PSAKI: With the Libyan Government? I –

QUESTION: With the Libyan or any other government in apprehending suspected terrorists.

MS. PSAKI: I think the United States has made no secret of our desire to apprehend those responsible.

QUESTION: You’ve mentioned now several times a range of factors that were taken into account in terms of the timing of this, but you don’t seem to want to say – even give us a hint as to what that range of factors were – was, except for the fact that General Hiftar was not involved. So can you give us a very general outline of what factors you’re talking about that led to the capture of this guy on Sunday rather than in the previous almost two years?

MS. PSAKI: Well, without getting into too many specifics, the decisions are made –

QUESTION: Or any specifics.

MS. PSAKI: — based on when and how an operation can be carried out successfully and consistent with our policies as the United States in carrying out these operations. I don’t have other specifics I’m going to lay out.

QUESTION: Well, right, but can you even at least say – I mean, it would seem obvious and not classified or anything like that that security – the security situation on the ground would be one of those factors, as would the political situation on the ground. Would one be wrong in saying that those were part – among the range of factors?

MS. PSAKI: One would not be wrong in assuming there are a range of factors that are taken into account, Matt.

Go ahead, James.

QUESTION: When was Secretary Kerry informed about this operation? Before its execution or afterward?

MS. PSAKI: Oh, absolutely before. The Secretary and the Secretary of Defense and other senior officials in the government have been engaged and involved in the decision-making process.

QUESTION: And when were the families of Ambassador Stevens and his colleagues notified about the arrest?

MS. PSAKI: They – I don’t have an exact timing for you, Roz, but they have – we have been in touch with them and they have been informed.

QUESTION: Jen, why you – you’ve intended to make clear that General Hiftar didn’t cooperate with the U.S.?

MS. PSAKI: I assumed that was a question you might have and I wanted to proactively answer it for you.

QUESTION: Can you tell us whether in addition to the capture of this suspect, the special forces also managed – as in, for example, the bin Ladin raid – to obtain or acquire any cache of evidence or materials associated with him or his operations?

MS. PSAKI: I certainly understand your question. I don’t have any other details on this. As you know, this is an ongoing now Justice case, so I don’t have any more I can share.

QUESTION: Was anybody injured in this operation on either side?

MS. PSAKI: Not that I’m aware of. I would certainly point you to the Department of Defense, who undertook the operation.

Go ahead.

QUESTION: Bearing in mind that it’s a Justice case at this point, maybe you can help clarify for us: When was Mr. Khatallah charged and when were those – there were sealed indictments filed months ago. Was his case one of those, or was it a recently –

MS. PSAKI: I would point you to the Department of Justice, as – on timing. I believe the complaint was unsealed today.

QUESTION: But it was filed months ago –

MS. PSAKI: I would point you to them for the specific timing.

QUESTION: — presumably after The New York Times interviewed him.

MS. PSAKI: For the specific timing, I’d point you to the Department of Justice.

Do we have more on this issue, or should we move on? Oh, another one? Go ahead, Matt.

QUESTION: No no, not on this.

MS. PSAKI: Okay. New topic?

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 6:44 PM

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM

“Jen “Promise of Hashtag” Psaki has no real answer, of course.”

LOL. A Russian musical group has written a popular song mocking her…

Realist on June 17, 2014 at 8:34 PM

I’ll take Door #2. King Barack NEEDS A RABBIT!

GarandFan on June 17, 2014 at 8:35 PM

My God, this woman is so full of it. Does she honestly believe anything she says?

GoodAg77 on June 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM

aaaaanddd here it is folks, here
it
is :
———–
The muzie campaigns for Killery …..as I had predicted !

burrata on June 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM

This is a joke right? I mean come on! This cannot be real……….

VegasRick on June 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM

============================================

I’m beginning to think,..that when it gets Politically Hot,
or National Security Crisis,..like Iraq, arises,

all along,….Obama has had tabs on the where-abouts, of these Goons like OBL,
for instances, and authorizes a take-down, as a distraction of
his current affairs!

Very Nixonian Sneaky!!!———————————-:0

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Let me toss another angle at #2 AP, this Khattala loser was NOT the ringleader at all, and his first interview was the truth, he happened by and joined the fun after the attack was well underway. It’s the only thing that makes sense, if he really was the mastermind FBI and State would have been on him like white on rice and nabbed him within days, weeks at the most.

I have a hunch he is little more than a shiny squirrel.

JusDreamin on June 17, 2014 at 8:39 PM

You sure this isn’t a sock?

sandee on June 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Of course it’s a sock. And look at how much attention it got from its silly comment.

non-nonpartisan on June 17, 2014 at 8:39 PM

The Obama administration, corrupt and apparently retarded from top to bottom, might reasonably be remembered best throughout history — despite all of their stunning failures, deceptions and incompetence — for the seemingly impossible stupidity of their State Department spokesnitwits.

Jaibones on June 17, 2014 at 8:39 PM

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 6:44 PM

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Thank you Canopfor.

crankyoldlady on June 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM

GoodEgg77 on June 17, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Come now, GoodEgg … you watched the painful machinations of her infertile mind. She couldn’t even begin to keep up with James Rosen in a simple back and forth. She was completely incapable of following his logic with a counter argument.

Jaibones on June 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM

aaaaanddd here it is folks, here
it
is :
———–
The muzie campaigns for Killery …..as I had predicted !

burrata on June 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM

burrata: I wonder if Hopey and HilKilRod were coniving on this!?:)
==================================================================

Oh oh,..she’s strategizing with Hopey:

Mark Knoller @markknoller · 2h

There was no mention of the president’s lunch with Clinton on the daily schedule of the president provided to the press.
======================================================

Mark Knoller @markknoller · 2h

WH confirms Pres Obama had a private lunch today with Hillary Clinton. VP Biden was in Seattle.

canopfor on May 29, 2014 at 7:11 PM

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Mark Knoller @markknoller · 2h

WH confirms Pres Obama had a private lunch today with Hillary Clinton.
canopfor on May 29, 2014 at 7:11 PM

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Cool, maybe they had a kinky quickie.

cabra viejo on June 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM

aaaaanddd here it is folks, here
it
is :
———–
The muzie campaigns for Killery …..as I had predicted !

burrata on June 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Oh good Lord. But more like the Times campaigns for Hill.
from the times:

Mr. Abu Khattala told both fellow Islamist fighters and others that the attack in Benghazi was retaliation for the same insulting video, according to people who heard him.

Ahh, those nasty strawmen “people who heard him” Right.

JusDreamin on June 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Thank you Canopfor.

crankyoldlady on June 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM

COL:————–:0

No Video yet!

Daily Press Briefings

June 2014

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 8:51 PM

From State Briefing: Goons Emboldened/On the March:

Oh,..I guess the way to fight these NutJobs, is a Boinking…..

……………………………………..[$5 billion counterterrorism fund]

QUESTION: And is it fair to put the rapid advance of ISIS toward Baghdad into a larger context where Islamist extremists are demonstrating more aggressiveness, they’re emboldened, say, in Karachi and Nigeria?

MS. PSAKI: Is it fair to put it in a larger context?

QUESTION: That terrorism is on the rise, and these terrorists are on the march.

MS. PSAKI: Well, I think I wouldn’t put it in those terms, no surprise to you, but I would point you to President Obama’s speech just a couple of weeks ago where we – he rolled out a plan for a $5 billion counterterrorism fund. Clearly, we’re taking steps to address the threat where we see the threat facing us, and that’s no different here as it is in some of the other countries that you’ve mentioned.

Okay.

QUESTION: Isn’t – it’s not just the GOP critics to the Obama Administration that say that America’s terrorist enemies in various locales are on the march. After all, Senator Feinstein stated last month, quote, “Terror is not down in the world. It is up, both deaths, injuries, in many, many different places. Al-Qaida has metastasized.” Isn’t that the truth?

MS. PSAKI: Well, Lucas, we put out an annual report where we note where we have concerns, and we’ve been very clear that we’ve had concerns about the growth of some of these groups, whether it’s ISIL and our concerns about that or whether it’s al-Shabaab or other groups in Africa. So I don’t think we’ve made any secret about those concerns, and the questions is: What are we doing about it? And this counterterrorism fund is obviously one of the proposals in addressing how we can best take on the threat as part of our effort here.

QUESTION: But is a growth of some of the groups or all of these groups?

MS. PSAKI: I’d point you, Lucas — and maybe tomorrow I’ll bring you a copy of our annual – I actually brought you one last week, and you weren’t here. So that’s too bad.

Go ahead, Catherine.

QUESTION: Can I ask – I wonder if the – the Secretary, this morning, talked about mass murders happening in Iraq, and I wondered if that was a reference to the videos that’s been released over the weekend of what’s claimed to be 1,700 Shiite soldiers having been assassinated or killed by the – by ISIL on the battlefield. Have you any confirmation independently that this is – these videos were true? Could you just speak and give us some reactions on that?

MS. PSAKI: I don’t have any new confirmation. I think we put out a statement yesterday about some of these reports, and certainly the Secretary was referring to these reports that we’re seeing from the ground and our concerns about them.

(The briefing was concluded at 2:13 p.m.)

DPB # 106

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 8:56 PM

jen psaki is stunning as always..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Jen Psaki is in need of a vowel movement. You are in need of something that rhymes with vowel movement.

ghostwalker1 on June 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM

I’ve been planning a spontaneous party for weeks now; booze, food, music, the works. It will probably take place next weekend depending on what the RSVP’s look like.

But it’s spontaneous.

Bishop on June 17, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Oh good Lord. But more like the Times campaigns for Hill.
from the times:

Ahh, those nasty strawmen “people who heard him” Right.

JusDreamin on June 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM

This Khattala dude was a free man, having frappes and living large right under everyone’s noses,
but
the moment he found out that some other jihady was looking to kill him, he gets himself into the protective arms of Killery and starts campaigning for her . I wonder how much he paid Killery + Idi for this protection ?

burrata on June 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Hillary. That’s why.

UnderstandingisPower on June 17, 2014 at 9:05 PM

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Cool, maybe they had a kinky quickie.

cabra viejo on June 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM

cabra viejo: Oh gawd, lol:)

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM

jen psaki is stunningly inane as always..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM

FIFY.

Resist We Much on June 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM

jen psaki is stunning as always..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch: Arrogant,…and Cocky!!

I actually brought you one last week,

and you weren’t here.

So that’s too bad.

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM

See, I told you it was about a youtube video, Killery and Idi Hussein were right all along, even this jihady agrees with Idi and Killery . Republicans are witch hunting because you are racists and sexists
/troll

burrata on June 17, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Capturing this guy was about as hard as picking up Jen Psaki at a gin joint in DC.

faraway on June 17, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Capturing this guy was about as hard as picking Jen Psaki up off the floor of at a any gin joint in DC.

faraway on June 17, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Fixed it for fun

PolAgnostic on June 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM

You can’t be serious. Do you really imagine that anyone in the White House would put these particular thoughts together in a strategic manner? The track record allows only one answer: Impossible.

Freelancer on June 17, 2014 at 9:31 PM

This wasn’t done for Barry. It was done for Hillary. She was getting killed on the issue.

budfox on June 17, 2014 at 9:32 PM

canopfor on June 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM

You don’t suppose she’d be thinking the only way to hold the Democrat base together and get them off the couch to vote for her would be if she ran with Obama on the ticket as Vice President…

…nah… not enough room in DC for those two egos to be on the same ticket.

thatsafactjack on June 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Barky feels real bad that he had to throw one of his brothers to the wolves to get out from under another crisis. Khattala’s just got to understand that throwing friends under the bus as a distraction is *Nothing Personal, It’s Just Business*.

AppraisHer on June 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM

jen psaki is stunning as always..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM

From that comment, all I can surmise is that you want to have her love child.

Gebirgsjager on June 17, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Liberals try to claim it was Obama who took OBL down,not Bush. All of the tools and programs used to find OBL were begun under Bush. All Obama had to do was approve the mission to take him out once e was found…and it was reported it took 3 times before he gave the go-ahead.

Proving further Obama ad nothing to do with finding OBL is THIS arrest/capture — It took Obama 2 years to find a terrorist who or only was not hiding but who had already been interviewed poolside by numerous media outlets! Brilliant!

easyt65 on June 17, 2014 at 10:41 PM

This scumhag lies as good as Baghdad Bobby.

Jeantel at State

Schadenfreude on June 17, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Why Delta Force Waited So Long to Grab a Benghazi Ringleader:

cam2 on June 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Anyone else sick of those ignorant young spokeswomen for the State dept. who know nothing, yet try to sound like they’re honest?

BillCarson on June 17, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Why Delta Force Waited So Long to Grab a Benghazi Ringleader:

cam2 on June 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM

In other words…”we know where he is, we can get him at any time, let’s wait until we need another distraction to cover our asses”.

AppraisHer on June 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM

LOOK! SQUIRREL!

IRS scandal doubles down; V.A. scandal; illegal immigrant scandal;

He’s running out of scandals to distract from other scandals…well, probably not, but just trying to move the eye of the public to something else.

But ending up putting the eye back on the Benghazi scandal..

I sure we can recover when Obama finally loses his pen and his phone…

ProfShadow on June 18, 2014 at 1:41 AM

She has nice red hair.

And that eerie stare all of the State spokesmen/women have.

I guess that’s good enough for the job.

Sherman1864 on June 18, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Because they are afraid he is going to somehow spill the beans about the illegal gun running Obama was doing between Libya and Syria.

albill on June 18, 2014 at 7:01 AM

From the Department of the Blindingly Obvious:

Washington Post:

“U.S. officials said the joint Special Operations and FBI operation had been planned for months and was approved…on Friday” by Obama.

New York Times:

“[F]or more than a year…a plan to capture” Khattala “was on Mr. Obama’s desk awaiting approval,” but he “held back, in part for fear that an American raid…might further destabilize the already tenuous Libyan government.”

Drained Brain on June 18, 2014 at 8:00 AM

It took 2 years because they decided they needed a capture with “style”, similar to Tom Sawyer’s elaborate proposition for rescuing Jim at the end of Huckleberry Finn, whereas Huck just wanted to bust the chain and haul ass. I’d include a photo-op of Obama doing something presidential, like looking tough in the Situation Room, barking orders, except he was goofing off somewhere on a golf course or hustling money when it “went down”.

tpitman on June 18, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Reporters have their own desire to get their agenda heard.

The Obama administration has no desire to stop terrorists unless it’s needed as a distraction from other news.

morganfrost on June 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM

So, we basically kidnapped someone in a foreign country without due process in that country, Ms. Psaki, and now are holding them on a US Navy ship in international waters? The warrant was sealed for 9 months and no one knows if he was Mirandized or not even tho an FBI agent was present. Seems as if the regime is picking and choosing which constitutional protections to extend to this terrorist. Has he been charged with murder or not?

Kissmygrits on June 18, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I took two years for the same reason Sandy Berger, stealing secret documents, still works for the government. Anyone who thinks the Blue Code is absent from politics needs brain surgery.

mixplix on June 18, 2014 at 10:20 AM

no doubt the timing smells. just like begdahl they knew where he was all along and it was a political decision to get him now. there is another issue that doesn’t seem to be brought up. they are treating him like a criminal to be adjudicated in the legal system. this is contrary to our experience pre 911 where terroism was treated as a civil matter. If they are placing him in the court system than they have to read his miranda rights. that means no intel interrogation or a very brief one. this whole thing is a dog and pony show. He is either in the military tribunal or civil court system. he cannot be both. for once i would like to see obama do something for the country instead of his political gain. i guess when donkeys fly.

warmairfan on June 18, 2014 at 12:25 PM