Hot Air Primary Survey: June Results

posted at 10:01 am on June 16, 2014 by Patrick Ishmael

Scott Walker edges Ted Cruz and the rest of the pack for the second survey in a row, taking 31% of the vote. In fact, the ordering for 1st Choice is exactly the order from last month: Walker, Cruz, Rand Paul, Rick Perry and Ben Carson. The 2nd choice ordering is also close to the same, with Carson, Bobby Jindal and Perry closely packed.

1st2nd

The race, in short, has remained stable from last month to this month. And the candidate acceptability question? Walker wins again, followed by Cruz, Jindal, Perry and Carson.

accept

On the whole, Hot Air readers think the factions within the Republican Party have been pretty evenly matched this primary season and haven’t been so destructive as to, in the end, help the Democrats. Readers also see Obamacare implemented at the state level to be Obamacare. If this is any indication, Republicans seeking the party’s Presidential nomination should rethink creating Obamacare insurance exchanges and expanding their state’s Medicaid under the law.

esttea

That’s it for this time. Thanks for participating!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Meow, did you participate? If yes, who did you go with?

Bmore on June 16, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Who voted for Joe Scarborough…?

Seven Percent Solution on June 16, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Why not put Eric Cantor on this poll? He’s gonna have some free time…

TarheelBen on June 16, 2014 at 1:52 PM

This early I think the candidate acceptability question is likely the most meaningful. I know I have a very hard time picking who I would vote for given that there are many positions I do not yet know from potential candidates and would be nowhere near prepared to vote for anyone yet. However, there are several maybe-candidates I know enough about to say nope, would not vote for him even if nominated.

deepdiver on June 16, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Carson is a book tour, just like Cain was.

When Cain unexpectedly became the anybody-but-Romney for close to a month, he showed his business acumen by running lots of ads on Limbaugh and FNC and others to lure donations from gullible voters, clearing around $10-$12 million from this. All this time, Cain continued on his scheduled book tour and stayed out of the primary states where an actual candidate would have been campaigning.

When all was done, Cain apparently walked away with somewhere between $5-$10 million in campaign funds which he can make use of in many ways, funding other candidates who will then owe him, staging “conferences” and fancy travel, etc. A very lovely slush fund for his retirement years.

As someone said, Carson is Cain v2.0.

Or maybe Alan Keyes v3.0.

Keyes wasn’t as successful as he is still a half-million in arrears on his last campaign and everyone seems to assume he’ll carry that debt until death when it will be absolved. Keyes did do more to enrich his family and immediate associates though and I assume he got some of that as kickbacks.

If we want a black candidate, let’s get a real one like Alan West. Or even that congressman from OK in the Nineties, I always liked him and was disappointed that he left politics.

Toocon on June 16, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Or even that congressman from OK in the Nineties, I always liked him and

was disappointed that he left politics.

Toocon on June 16, 2014 at 1:55 PM

J. C. Watts

ExpressoBold on June 16, 2014 at 3:26 PM

ExpressoBold on June 16, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Cr@p… I blame Windoze 8.doofus

ExpressoBold on June 16, 2014 at 3:27 PM

I hope walker runs. With this administration’s myriad “phony scandals” to keep the democrats busy running from Obama’s legacy of corrupt incompetence, we may actually have a decent primary.

EvilMonk on June 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Toocon on June 16, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I endorse the black guy whose name I don’t know so that I won’t be called out as a racist!! LOL. This is the problem with the GOP. The DNC plays the race card, and the GOP is more than willing to want to be dealt in

Brock Robamney on June 16, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Who voted for Joe Scarborough…?

Seven Percent Solution on June 16, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Well now we know Joe Scarborough is a HotAir reader.

The 3 votes for Joe Scarborough for second choice must be family members.

wren on June 16, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Good to see Jindal ranks high as a second choice.

John the Libertarian on June 16, 2014 at 4:43 PM

You’re an idiot lib and anyone who reads more than 5 of your posts knows it.

As for past giddy romances of the GOP with various black candidates (since I was discussing the inclusion of Carson in this poll), I loathe Colin Powell, like Condoleeza Rice (but she won’t run and shouldn’t), like Clarence Thomas (but wouldn’t vote for him), thought Cain was a bit of a con man, knew Alan Keyes was a con man. Other than that, you have J.C. Watts who always conducted himself impeccably in Congress in the Nineties. I always thought he should be in leadership.

As for not remembering his name, I do not have every name of every House Republican from the last 15 years memorized. Sue me. I have trouble remembering names of spouses for nieces/nephews these days.

The reason I mentioned both West and Watts was that at least they have run real political campaigns. None of the others I mentioned ever have, not that the miserable performance of these political dilettantes whose primary appeal is for GOP voters to be able to finally say they have voted for some black person and feel all warm about themselves.

If they can win, I’m interested. If they’re on a book tour or scammers or hopelessly out of their depth in a real political campaign, they can be purple with polka dots and I still won’t vote for them. Obama could be the whitest man in America and I would never vote for him as his policies are toxic and just plain wrong.

At any rate, I’m done wasting keystrokes on a driveby troll like you.

Toocon on June 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Was this poll taken before or after Hillary Walker said

At this point, what difference does it make?

regarding social issues?

Nice to see Jindal in third place in the “second choices” poll.

itsnotaboutme on June 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Good to see Jindal ranks high as a second choice. – John the Libertarian at 4:43 PM

I like Piyush too. He is probably the smartest of the GOP field we could choose from. Brainy, a real workhorse. Not necessarily the best retail politician though.

Toocon on June 16, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Toocon on June 16, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Piyush?
Only leftists refer to Bobby Jindal by his given name.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Only leftists refer to Bobby Jindal by his given name. – annoyinglittletwerp at 5:01 PM

Bull. Name these Lefties who call him that. In fact, I’m the only one I know who has ever called him by his legal name. But it is a good name and it fits him well. And it’s still better than Willard.

Toocon on June 16, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Toocon on June 16, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Piyush?
Only leftists refer to Bobby Jindal by his given name.
annoyinglittletwerp on June 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Careful. He or one of his 3 other Scarborough voting aliases will call you a liberal

Brock Robamney on June 16, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Toocon on June 16, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Three minor points for you to consider.

#1 Cain, not retired. Fulltime gig at WSB.

#2 Brock Robamney is not on the troll list.

#3 Piyush, whether know to you or not known is in fact a lefty nic for Jindal. Similar to Hussein for 0.

Bmore on June 16, 2014 at 8:10 PM

It is time to include Sarah Palin in the next poll . You put in Mitt Romney , Condi Rice, Joe Scarborough , Susana Martinez . The anti- Palin hacks that run this site are afraid that Sarah Palin will win the poll . Sarah Palin will run and is more likely to run than half the people included in the poll . Include Sarah Palin or this poll is a sham . Palin outpolls most of these people. Include Sarah Palin .

Unaffiliated4P on June 16, 2014 at 9:48 PM

From five years ago? And I’m not sure how many PC lectures about “othering” I need to hear from conservatives. Beyond that, the idea that the Lefties won’t call Jindal “Pyush” as long as we don’t call Barry “Hussein” seems dotty to me.

At some point, we need to make it a habit to sling just as much mud, just as hard, back at the Left, let them howl about it, then invoke their double standard against them and call them out publicly on it. Also the libmedia that constantly lets them get away with it.

Nice guys do finish last, you know. And that might be a very good fight to pick with the Left and their media allies.

Toocon on June 16, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Include Sarah Palin . Sarah Palin will run in 2016 . You include Condi Rice and Martinez . You include Romney and Scarborough . This is such bullshit . We want Sarah Palin in the next poll. Include Sarah Palin . Ed , Patrick ,and Allahpundit must be afraid that Sarah Palin will win the poll . Include Palin

Sarah Palin 2016 .

Unaffiliated4P on June 16, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Include Sarah Palin . right2bright on June 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Sarah Palin is so running . I’ve seen her on Hannity and with Mario Lopez .

Run Sarah Run . Palin 2016 .

Unaffiliated4P on June 16, 2014 at 9:55 PM

We want Sarah Palin in the next poll. Include Sarah Palin . Ed , Patrick ,and Allahpundit must be afraid that Sarah Palin will win the poll. – Unaffiliated4P at 9:51 PM

She just might. And great would be the rejoicing. LOL.

If they include Condi who has absolutely ruled out any run for political office and is a political novice (but notably has never slammed the door on being SoS again), then there should be room for Sarah in this poll who hasn’t ruled out a run.

You do know that being out of politics is generally considered fatal to winning after five years or so. It is one of the major questions about Jeb vs. Romney (for those deep-pocket folk who just love both of those guys to death). They have rational doubts about Jeb being out of office too long. And Jeb is fat and flabby and his name is Bush. Even the NJ Beachball has an active retail game.

Maybe when HA run these polls, all you Palin backers should hit the thread early and post a comment like “VOTE FOR *OTHER* IF YOU SUPPORT SARAH PALIN”.

Toocon on June 16, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Bmore on June 16, 2014 at 8:10 PM

What I find frustrating is the GOP will get sucked in the race card game. Then you have these Rinocrats who get all indignant when you point out that they are playing the game, and when cornered, they expose themselves looking like liberal trolls by using the language of the left. Calling Bobby Jindal any other name then what he wants to be called and pretending that it is paying homage to his culture is not only transparently disrespectful, but absurd

Brock Robamney on June 16, 2014 at 11:11 PM