Report: Bergdahl was given psychological discharge from Coast Guard in 2006

posted at 1:01 pm on June 12, 2014 by Allahpundit

Meant to get to this yesterday but got swept away in Cantormania.

Remember my “mental break” theory for why he might have deserted? Well.

Then one day in 2006, Bergdahl announced that he was joining the Coast Guard, a decision his friends thought was unwise given his personality. Harrison said she tried to talk him out of it, but finally relented and drove him to a military office in Idaho Falls to take the entrance exam.

Soon after he left Ketchum for basic training, Bergdahl sent her a dozen or so notebook pages filled with tiny writing, diatribes against the rigors of military life. She was alarmed, she said. When he returned after a few weeks, he told her he had gotten out on a psychological discharge.

“He told me he faked it,” she recalled. “I said, ‘You don’t fake a psychological discharge, you have to become unfit.’ I told him that. The reality was it wasn’t okay. I saw it in the letters, the way the writing was changing, the anger.”…

“I know he believed he was in control, but I didn’t,” [another] friend added. “I sincerely doubted that.”

Read the piece for samples from Bergdahl’s journals, which continued before and after he joined the Army and deployed to Afghanistan. Was he really mental or just a quirky kid prone to melodrama in his diary in describing how depressed he was by military life? This language, from an entry before he deployed, stands out: “The closer I get to ship day, the calmer the voices are. I’m reverting. I’m getting colder. My feelings are being flushed with the frozen logic and the training, all the unfeeling cold judgment of the darkness.” Voices, huh? Another bit of writing apparently composed while Bergdahl was in Afghanistan consisted of nothing but the phrase “velcro or zipper/velcro or zipper/velcro or zipper” — for almost two pages.

Two obvious possibilities. One is that he really was having some sort of mental break, possibly replete with delusions of grandeur that he could somehow reason with the Taliban if he could only talk to them face to face. If you’re wondering why the military would have accepted someone like that, who already had a psychological discharge on his record from another service branch, WaPo speculates that it’s because they were handing out lots of waivers circa 2008 to enlistees who had something disqualifying on their record. When you’re fighting two wars and can’t rely on a draft, you may have to be less picky in screening people who are willing to sign up. The other possibility is that, his friends’ skepticism notwithstanding, Bergdahl told them the truth about faking his psychological discharge from the Coast Guard. In which case, maybe the overwrought journal entries in Afghanistan were part of a new plan to fake mental illness so that the Army would send him home too. The problem with that theory, though, is that it doesn’t explain why he would have gone outside the wire and into the Afghan countryside. And it doesn’t explain why he would have mailed some of his writing to a friend back home. If you want your CO to think you’re nuts, you leave the evidence on your bunk. You don’t ship it back to America.

Any new sympathy for Bergdahl from all this? At a minimum, I think, the politics of throwing the book at someone who was apparently unstable and who supposedly ended up being tortured by the enemy — and who was admitted to the service through a waiver in the first place — will counsel leniency in his court-martial. Exit question one: If Bergdahl was this fragile, how come none of the members of his unit seemed to notice? They’ve talked about how he was a loner, spending his time learning Pashtun while the rest of them were socializing, but no one’s said anything I’m aware of that he seemed unhinged. Exit question two: Didn’t his father, at least, know about his Coast Guard discharge in 2006? If so, why did he respond to Bowe’s last e-mail from Afghanistan hinting at doing something dramatic (Michael Hastings said it sounded like a suicide note) by telling him “OBEY YOUR CONSCIENCE”? The proper response to someone with a history of mental trouble who’s in crisis is “Go see the counselor ASAP,” no?

Comments

Then why did the Army take him?

OmahaConservative on June 12, 2014 at 1:03 PM

He’s embraced islam and the Taliban. That is proof enough he’s a Nutter. So the army accepts Nutters, gives them AR’s and sends them into combat?

ConstantineXI on June 12, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Just court martial the mother Fluker already.

NotCoach on June 12, 2014 at 1:05 PM

“velcro or zipper/velcro or zipper/velcro or zipper”

Zipper definitely. Unless you have arthritis, then go velcro.

Flange on June 12, 2014 at 1:06 PM

This could be a fun game. What two words would our trolls be manically writing in their journals?

NotCoach on June 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM

nothing but the phrase “velcro or zipper/velcro or zipper/velcro or zipper”

If only he was chanting…

hope and change
hope and change
hope and change

faraway on June 12, 2014 at 1:13 PM

What on earth did his parents teach him ?

Lucano on June 12, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Being a whackjob is not a defense to desertion.

TarheelBen on June 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM

A tenuous relationship with sanity.

John the Libertarian on June 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM

So now he was crazy? JHC. Every time someone does something stupid/evil they were crazy instead of just stupid/evil.

JAGonzo on June 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM

You’d find a similar story with all deserters.

Buddahpundit on June 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM

“I will not lose this mind, this world I have deep inside. I will not lose this passion of beauty.”
Deserted to find something pretty ?

Lucano on June 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM

That might be the proper response from a parent who wasn’t mentally unstable himself, but Daddy Weird-beard seems to be missing a few pieces of his own puzzle. This is a guy who once wanted to go to Africa and raise an army to fight tribal warlords, on behalf of the little brown people. The entire Bergdahl family seems unhinged.

But remember, according to the MSM, the only real psychopaths in this drama are Bergdahl’s platoon mates!

AZCoyote on June 12, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Anybody seen any interviews with his family..?

d1carter on June 12, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Wanna get rid of that awful ‘psychological discharge’?

faraway on June 12, 2014 at 1:19 PM

raise an army to fight tribal warlords, on behalf of the little brown people.
AZCoyote on June 12, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Well , daddy does work for UPS .

Lucano on June 12, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Any new sympathy for Bergdahl from all this?

This is a guy who, when first deployed to Afghanistan, asked his CO if it was OK to cut off a jihadi’s face and wear it. So, no.

Joseph K on June 12, 2014 at 1:21 PM

A guy from Idaho who enlists into the Coast Guard?

Who would have thunk he was nuts?

Next thing we’ll hear is that he gets seasick….

turfmann on June 12, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Catch 22??

Deano1952 on June 12, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I have heard Obama, Reid, and Pelosi say nuttier things… this week.

faraway on June 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Eh still needs verification and more facts. I will say that if he was such a psycho I don’t believe the Taliban would have kept him alive and around all these years. He would also not be returned in such great health. Playing devils advocate with myself, it may explain why he is still being kept incommunicado and refuses to speak with his parents. Gee, wouldn’t it be nice to have an Administration that was upfront and honest with us??

Blake on June 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I don’t care about what he wrote. I care about what he did. I don’t care why he did it. I only care about what he did.

cbenoistd on June 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Traiterous piece of slime.

sauldalinsky on June 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM

AllahPundit writes:

The vast majority of people don’t understand severe mental illness, and are often afraid of it. Someone has a broken leg, that we can understand, and treat. Someone has a broken brain, even medicine today understands very little about it. So what’s a fellow soldier going to do about it.

You’d find a similar story with all deserters.

Buddahpundit on June 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM

They say things that don’t make sense, have delusions, hear voices? His parents come across as rather loopy if you ask me. So what. Is that an excuse, an explanation, a mitigating factor. Before I thought the guy was a zealous true believer, like his father. Now I’m leaning more towards mental illness.

LashRambo on June 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Are we talking about the same Bergdahl? How on God’s green earth does someone who washes out of the Coast Guard for psychological reasons get to be assigned to a place where the best comfort you can get in life is seeing some booger-eater blown apart?

The Commentator on June 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Who will be first newbie on HA to claim the handle “Velcro or Zipper”?

slickwillie2001 on June 12, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Has MSNBC offered him a job yet?

myiq2xu on June 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Firing squad at dawn. Period. I would wager that most, if not all soldiers express dark thoughts and doubts in their diaries and missives home..especially when they find themselves in such a place as an FOB in Afghanistan. The difference is that only deserters desert. And Bowe Bergdahl is a deserter. In the face of the enemy.

bimmcorp on June 12, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Report: Bergdahl was given psychological discharge from Coast Guard in 2006

…sounds like JugEars…kind of soldier!

KOOLAID2 on June 12, 2014 at 1:32 PM

I think his platoon mates have expressed concerns about his performance in the field, his unreliability.

Esaus Message on June 12, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Why is Obama keeping Bowe prisoner?

#FreeBowe

faraway on June 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM

My take away from this disclosure is that it just reaffirms the TOTAL INCOMPETENCY of the 0-bama administration. Every day that has gone by since the big rose garden party is a different lie, blame, new disclosure. Incompetent is too kind of a word.

Lew in Colorado on June 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM

This guy is seriously schizophrenic and it seems to be hereditary.

crankyoldlady on June 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Father and son – birds of a feather.

Mental problems? Or just a narcissist who thinks the world revolves around him?

Like Obama.

GarandFan on June 12, 2014 at 1:42 PM

I think Pelosi, Reid and Obama should be given a psychological discharge…I’ve notice some peculiar behavior.

d1carter on June 12, 2014 at 1:42 PM

I keep saying it’s self-evident he’s mentally ill. This only adds to the impression.

SarahW on June 12, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Obama and his Administration knew this all along. They had his files.

kingsjester on June 12, 2014 at 1:56 PM

To your last question Allahp: his dad is probably mentally ill as well. Mental illness usually runs in the family.

terryannonline on June 12, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Did Jamie Gorelick put up a wall between the Coast Guard and the Army? I can’t speak for anyone else, I’m not interested in him spending the rest of his life in prison but I am against him being made some kind of celebrity or worse, a hero. This morning Ollie North was on Bill Bennett’s show and he said that Bergdahl’s captor/hosts only wanted $100K for his release as recently as Dec. 2013.

Cindy Munford on June 12, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Terryannnline – yeo

SarahW on June 12, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Now I’m leaning more towards mental illness.

LashRambo on June 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Lash Rambo, M.D. (Mentally Deficient),

Do you realize how stupid your post is?

You claim MEDICINE doesn’t understand ‘a broken brain’, but then you use your non-existent knowledge in neuroscience to ‘lean’ towards mental illness.

Thank you, doc.

I think the only one here with a ‘broken brain’ is you. Caused by being repeatedly dropped on your head as a baby!

Now, take two aspirin, shove your PC head back up the hole where your ‘brain’ resides, and call me in the morning.

ZeusGoose on June 12, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Father and son – birds of a feather.

Mental problems? Or just a narcissist who thinks the world revolves around him?

Like Obama.

GarandFan on June 12, 2014 at 1:42 PM

As Hamlet would say, That is the question. Before I thought narcissist. Now, mental problems. (Bergdahl, not Obama! No pass for Obama!)

LashRambo on June 12, 2014 at 2:04 PM

#FreeBowe

faraway on June 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM

My campaign was successful!!!

Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Heading Back to U.S.

Activism pays off.

faraway on June 12, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Who is this Ms. Harrison, who drove Bergdahl to a military office in Idaho Falls, to whom Bergdahl writes his life story? His girlfriend? His sister?

If Bergdahl was considered too crazy for the Coast Guard, why was the Army willing to send him to Afghanistan? If he had stayed with the Coast Guard, at least he couldn’t defect to the enemy, and would stay near American shores, and we wouldn’t have to let 5 terrorists free from Gitmo to get him back.

Another question: did his father know that Bowe had a screw loose when he was learning Arabic and Pashto, and did he know Bowe was sympathizing with the enemy? With whom would Bergdahl Sr. speak Pashto in Idaho? Or was Bergdahl Sr. in on this all along, and this was the plan?

Steve Z on June 12, 2014 at 2:12 PM

The Army screwed up by taking him in the first place.

MCGIRV on June 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM

He’s on his was home . Going to Texas .
Hope he doesn’t meet with a workplace incident .

Lucano on June 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM

The filthy traitor was pretending that he was acting in the style of Lawrence of Arabia or something. He joined the military for all the wrong reasons and decent honorable people were killed by this bastard’s actions. The mother effer should be shot, hanged, and gassed just make sure it takes.

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Before I thought narcissist. Now, mental problems.
LashRambo on June 12, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Narcissism or Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a mental problem or psychosis.

Neitherleftorright on June 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Cindy Munford on June 12, 2014 at 2:03 PM

First off, the Coast Guard is DHS not DOD. Why would the Army know what tailbowe did before he tried join the military. Secondly, I’m waiting to see how much of these delusions of greatness were known by the traitor’s superiors. If they knew stuff and did nothing then they should be charged under the UCMJ too. Far too many decent innocent people were killed by Bergdahl.

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM

he’s a pile of sh*t who joined up thinking he was smart enough to subversively alter the war in his area.
when he found out his actual mission would not square with what his ego told him his altruistic mission should be he threw a fuc*ing tantrum and deserted.
just like every awol assh*le I’ve dealt with; they all think they are greater than they actually are and every one of them weakened their units.

dmacleo on June 12, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I was unaware that the Coast Guard was not considered a military service. That said, I think after “Maj.” Hassan, this jewel and countless examples that we have probably never heard of, it is time to reevaluated the Army’s psych evaluation.

Cindy Munford on June 12, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM

you sure the service records aren’t cross checked?
when I got out nearest military facility WAS a coast guard station and my ETS papers had them as maintaining my inactive duty status, or they would have if not for the service connected injuries.

dmacleo on June 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM

He’s flying to TX tonight. Give him Shitseki VA treatment and a court-martial.

Schadenfreude on June 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Schadenfreude on June 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM

an article 85 and 104 (the 104 worse IMO) court martial would please me.

dmacleo on June 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM

ZeusGoose on June 12, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Medicine doesn’t know much about how the brain works, but it can see when it’s not working right, like in advanced syphilis, Korsakoff’s Sydrome, Alzheimer’s, shaken baby syndrome, or getting dropped on your head, which are all kinds of organic brain damage that also affect the mind. What I’m saying is they don’t understand how brain damage affects the mind, but they know it can. Because of their limited understanding of the brain, they can’t put their finger on the relation between brain damage and the mind, they just know there is some relation. It’s even harder in the case of schizophrenia or autism or bipolar disorder. There they have a vague idea that a broken brain is affecting the mind. Since they can’t say exactly what is the problem, they can’t put their finger on it, there’s an element of faith involved. Which comes down to saying, “I don’t know”. Maybe in a hundred years they’ll know, but now, no. We just have to go with what we know now.

I’ll be looking at your posts in the future to see if you have anything intelligent to say.

Neitherleftorright on June 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM

It’s considered a personality disorder, not a mental disorder.

LashRambo on June 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I find it interesting that papa & mama Berhdahl seem to have vanished from sight since their Rose Garden appearance. I’m curious to know more about them, particularly the father. Funny how the media isn’t. But then again, I assume the WH has put the word out that they are off limits and the MSM has willingly complied. Wouldn’t want anything that could be embarrassing to Zero to come out. Which just makes me think there is more to the story.

Mayday on June 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM

AllahPundit writes:

They did, but their noticing set up the story that they were undisciplined and mean to this special snowflake. He began plotting his desertion as soon as he got there, two trial runs and success on the third attempt. He should have been shipped home after the first try. His platoon figured out he was untouchable for some reason. I don’t buy the story that the military was that hard up, either.

This Bergdahl seems like a CIA recruit. There is no other explanation for all these inconsistencies.

1. Obama takes office and immediately begins negotiating the release of the Gitmo 5.
2. Bergdahl’s parents were antiwar activists and Obama supporters. One son is a Navy pilot. The other tried to join the French Foreign Legion and was denied. Joined the Coast Guad and was kicked out.
3. Daddy Weird Beard was talking with Al Qaeda, converted to Islam and learned Pashto.
4. Writer Michael Hastings was murdered while writing a “big story” on Bergdahl.
5. The administration was pushing a narrative. Bergdahl served with “distinction and honor”. The Rose Garden ceremony where the father quoted the Koran in Arabic. The info coming out afterward.

It just doesn’t make sense otherwise. Obama’s tone deaf and arrogant, but he isn’t this dumb.

ezspirit on June 12, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Because his father is a Jihadi?

Noonan on June 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I put the blame squarely where it belongs…on Bergdahl’s ‘Raggedy’ Unit!

/s

OxyCon on June 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM

It’s considered a personality disorder, not a mental disorder.
LashRambo on June 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM

The distinction is minimal and arguable. The keyword is disorder, as in not normal. If your argument is that he is not fully responsible for his actions, it does appear the Army allowed someone with known disorders in and that is a problem.

Neitherleftorright on June 12, 2014 at 3:28 PM

So after failing a pscyhological background check administered by the federal government, the same federal government gave him an “assault” rifle and sent him off to kill folks. Irony is a bit*h.

red villain on June 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM

CINDY MUNFORD I HOPE YOU DON’T MIND IF I TWEET THIS.

Bambi on June 12, 2014 at 3:49 PM

This is just coming out NOW?

TimBuk3 on June 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM

This is just coming out NOW?

TimBuk3 on June 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Sure. They’re trying to get him off from court marshal by saying he was crazy…

sandee on June 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM

It would seem preposterous than an all-volunteer Army that has no difficulties meeting recruiting quotas would accept a psychological reject from the Coast Guard unless somebody was willing to doctor historical records to cover for a president (who’s apparently doctored his own records when it comes to school transcripts.)

MaiDee on June 12, 2014 at 3:57 PM

But then again a Navy reject (Boehner) was accepted by the U.S. House of Representatives.

MaiDee on June 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM

It’s considered a personality disorder, not a mental disorder.
LashRambo on June 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Neitherleftorright on June 12, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I’m with you as far as how disturbing it was they let him, and kept him in, after numerous red flags. Maybe there should be some simple screening for problem recruits, like, “On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the righteousness of our side in this war, and similarly, for the other side we’re fighting against”. If he has equal sympathies for each side, that would be a problem. (Which makes me wonder about Obama, who grants an American exceptionalism if you also allow for such as Greek exceptionalism)

One thing about personality disorders, they’re not mitigating factors. Like, Ted Bundy was a psychopathic personality, but he gets no consideration for that. While some recent shooters like of Gabby Giffords and the Joker at the movie cinema, the Newtown shootings, seems to be mental illness there, that would be a mitigating factor.

Everyone is entitled to their personality, as odd as it might be. The HotGas posters attest to that. Even in Ed, AP, MKH, and now Noah … well … they’re “different”. :)

LashRambo on June 12, 2014 at 4:11 PM

And how Major Hasan was kept in, even after all his Islam and “jihadi” talk, pisses me off.

LashRambo on June 12, 2014 at 4:15 PM

“What difference – at this point – does it make” if Bowe Bergdahl had mental issues?

Releasing 5 TERRORISTS from Gitmo to get him back was still a stupid decision that made the world a more dangerous place.

wren on June 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM

OK, I’m now for leniency.

A firing squad of three instead of five.

mbecker908 on June 12, 2014 at 4:44 PM

So, I’ve lived in this valley where he’s from for almost a year now. Pretty much everyone here is a narcissist (in the common sense), including small children, all of whom walk around like they own the planet and they’re suffering the rest of us to be here to serve them.

So yeah, home schooled, ballet and fencing lessons, and (I’m guessing) a pre-existing liberal sympathy for the Tally-wackers in Afghanistan ingrained from birth from wacky parents probably added to and/or hid what appears to be mental instability. Not surprised no one here noticed it, though, everyone’s in their own little bubble.

Lance Corvette on June 12, 2014 at 4:58 PM

US Army Sgt. Bergdahl freed
7m
Pentagon confirms Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl is aboard a US military aircraft en route San Antonio, Texas – @NBCNews
End of alert

canopfor on June 12, 2014 at 5:18 PM

MaiDee on June 12, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Remember, he enlisted back in 2009, a time when the Army was so hard up for enlistees that approx. 1 in 5 needed some kind of waiver to get in.

cam2 on June 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM

MaiDee on June 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM

cam2 on June 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM answered your question.

I’m wondering how he even got into the Coast Guard in the first place. As a much smaller service they can be pickier in who they let in. And at the highest level, it’s harder to get into the Coast Guard Academy than it is to get into West Point or Annapolis.

Del Dolemonte on June 12, 2014 at 6:15 PM

By 2006 hadn’t the Coast Guard been switched from being a branch of the military to being under the DHS theoretically a federal civilian agency? If so it is likely the Military never saw any info regarding any Psych issues in the Coast Guard. Those would have been sealed for civilian law enforcement personnel. It’s the Federal Government. The Right hand in incapable of communicating with the Left.

patches on June 12, 2014 at 7:18 PM

And Rudolf Hess flew a Messerschmitt Bf-110 to England because he was certain he could negotiate a peace treaty with the Commonwealth. al they had to do was get rid of Churchill and put in somebody like Attlee as PM. Then, they’d attack Russia together.

The moral is that crazy has patterns like everything else.

clear ether

eon

eon on June 12, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Who does this guy think he is, Maxwell Klinger? At least Klinger was entertaining.

JinVA on June 12, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Now, now, now…didn’t the peeps in Hailey say he was just a sensitive soul???.should have been the first clue, I am thinking…

Xango Annie on June 12, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:18 pm patches

The Post article indicates that the Army knew of the Bergdahl’s flame-out from the Coast Guard, which would otherwise have been disqualifying, but let him in on a waiver.

cam2 on June 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM

patches on June 12, 2014 at 7:18 PM

The Coast Guard has been under the oversight of Homeland Security since after the original 9/11 attacks. But before that they were part of the Department of Transportation for decades.

One would think that after they went under the purview of Homeland Security, they would have been stricter in their screening. But we are in O’bamaLand now.

BTW I would have to check but supposedly in wartime when the Coast Guard is involved in military action they are part of the Navy.

Del Dolemonte on June 12, 2014 at 11:33 PM

[S]ome sort of mental break, possibly replete with delusions of grandeur that he could somehow reason with the Taliban if he could only talk to them face to face.

He thought he was John Kerry?

schmuck281 on June 13, 2014 at 12:47 AM

AP, he’s not going to get a Court Martial. He will just disappear from view.

This administration is not going to have it’s deal-of-the-century skewered even more.

The only scenario I see this occuring is if the Obama Tower-of-T*rds starts to come tumbling down, and given the slavish manner of the Pentagon up to this point … it’s not likely.

virgo on June 13, 2014 at 1:41 AM

In my humble opinion, bowe caught his crazy-ness from his father.

Lee Jan on June 13, 2014 at 10:29 AM

wren on June 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM

It just makes it plainer that Bergdal’s release was really kind of incidental to the release of the five….that Obama was just looking for a way to release them that got around congress.

The pretext of return of Bergdahl was just to give it some political cover, and the audacity of “honor and distinction” and “America Hero” tack was just Obama’s preening style.

SarahW on June 13, 2014 at 1:03 PM