Hillary Clinton approval levels slip to lowest level since 2008

posted at 11:01 am on June 11, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Translation: Popularity in the abstract differs from that in application. Gallup notices a significant decline in Hillary Clinton’s favorability, which has dropped from 66% to just above majority level at 54%. Most of that decline has taken place over the past year, and almost half of it since January:

Hillary Clinton’s favorability rating has dropped slightly, although a majority of Americans continue to view her in a positive light. As Clinton publicizes her new memoir, “Hard Choices,” 54% of Americans view her favorably. This is down from 59% in February, and significantly less than the ratings she received as secretary of state, which were consistently above 60%.

The latest findings come from a Gallup poll conducted June 5-8. Though Clinton has said she will not announce whether she’ll run for president until at least later this year, her latest book has been widely framed as a preamble to another presidential bid and a move typical of White House hopefuls. Clinton already has the support of many elected officials and Democratic Party representatives if she chooses to run. Americans have named her their Most Admired Woman 18 times.

Clinton’s current favorability rating is the lowest it has been since August 2008 (54%), when she was preparing to deliver a speech at the Democratic National Convention endorsing then-Sen. Barack Obama, who defeated her in a hard-fought primary battle for the party’s 2008 presidential nomination.

There’s nothing slight about a 12-point drop in favorability, and no coincidence about its relation to her 2008 standing. As Hillary moves farther away from her tenure at State and closer to the presidential campaign for which she’s obviously preparing, Americans have to take a closer look at Hillary rather than give a charitable and fuzzy theoretical evaluation. The same dynamic took place between 2006 and 2008, when she went from a theoretical candidate to an actual candidate, and the Clinton team learned the hard way about the difference between the two.

They’re learning that lesson this week, too. Hillary had more than a year to prepare for her big reboot as a national figure through the release of her campaign memoir Hard Choices, and yet she looks more and more like a rookie, drifting into terrible sound bites and reminding everyone why she lost the last time she was considered “inevitable.” In my column for The Week, I ask whether Democrats are looking at this week and starting to look for a Plan B:

The launch of a political memoir gives a prospective candidate enormous advantages, especially someone with a long public track record like Clinton’s. Even on controversial issues, the long format allows an author to craft a narrative that will later serve as the basis of debate, especially in media interviews. The strategy is called “shaping the battlefield,” and it helps not only to set the narrative context of questions that come (“On page 225, you write that…”), but also prepares the candidate to handle the topics with at least some easily recalled talking points.

In addition, the book itself stokes interest in the coming campaign, particularly in the case of Hillary Clinton. Any memoir by a retiring or retired Cabinet member that gets published during the tenure of the president she served will grab headlines and attention anyway, and the political tension between Barack Obama and Clinton’s ambitions make it even more attractive. It doesn’t matter that the book Hard Choices has largely been panned as dull and unrevealing, because its ultimate purpose is to generate interest in and leverage for Hillary Clinton.

At first, it seemed to work. Before the book even hit stores, newspapers and television shows dissected the leaked excerpts that made their way to high-profile outlets. The topics touched on controversies that Clinton had avoided discussing, such as Benghazi and the lack of foreign-policy accomplishments during her tenure as secretary of State, but those topics would have come up anyway, and the Clinton team knows it. Their effort to get in front of those debates and frame them in the narrative context most favorable to Hillary Clinton’s political prospects largely paid off.

That strategy fell apart in a hurry this week. The Clinton team chose ABC’s Diane Sawyer as their lead interview for Hillary’s book rollout, a reporter/anchor with enough news credibility to overcome any sense of getting softballs, but without a track record of having a real killer instinct either. One might have expected that a candidate with as much experience in handling the media could have managed an in-depth interview with Sawyer, but the interview blew up in her face.

It’s difficult to recall just when a candidate with this many advantages managed to blow them all and torpedo his or her own strategy. Oh, wait, I do — it was Hillary Clinton in 2007-8.

Comments

The shocker is that it’s still so high.

Scumhag on display, every day.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:04 AM

54% really? People are dumb…

sandee on June 11, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Unusual source of bringing the impertinent “It’s my turn, always” down.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:05 AM

This poll is obviously sexist.

iceman1960 on June 11, 2014 at 11:05 AM

OT – Hagel lies with every word, the eunuch who is in charge of the poor Soldiers.

USA, you are the shame of the world. obama made you so.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Gee, what was going on in 2008? Oh yeah, she was running for President. Funny how more and more people dislike her the closer she gets to the White House.

Doughboy on June 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM

It’s not going up again either. Her “proud woman”, blaming others schtick is wearing thin.

LashRambo on June 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM

When Hillary speaks, she’s a fool.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Bill and Hillary simply cannot believe that if a worthless pos like obama can get elected that Hillary cannot.

GaltBlvnAtty on June 11, 2014 at 11:07 AM

What does it matter? My election hopes are dead! – HRC

Oil Can on June 11, 2014 at 11:08 AM

This is the point that it starts to make a difference Killary.

Flange on June 11, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Shall we call her the Hilldenberg? Oh, the humanity!

crrr6 on June 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM

She’s way tarred, in her own voice.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Vamoose you fat lying harpy!

Akzed on June 11, 2014 at 11:10 AM

If the USA falls for this scumhag, the USA is the US of Argentina, in all ways.

In such a case the stupid sheeple deserve to live in Argentina.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Maybe she can start crying again while talking about how tough it is.

Flange on June 11, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Always show her with current pictures.

She has morphed into a perfect Mao-matron, in all ways.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I must compliment her on the facelift, hairstyle, and makeup makeover. She looks like she did in 2008. I suppose she would like for everyone to forget what she was doing between then and now.

Brat on June 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I take responsibility, bu I wasn’t responsible for that!

Sven on June 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM

OT
Hagel sounds awful right now

cmsinaz on June 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Shall we call her the Hilldenberg? Oh, the humanity!

crrr6 on June 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM

A+

Del Dolemonte on June 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I’m pretty sure that is a screen cap from the Diane Sawyer interview on this post. She has been looking very 2008 lately. New face work.

Brat on June 11, 2014 at 11:15 AM

“Americans have named her their Most Admired Woman 18 times.”

LOL, big deal. If you look at the yearly “Most admired” and “Least Admired” polls they invariably contain the same names.

tommyboy on June 11, 2014 at 11:15 AM

This is Hillary and I’ll play it until she retires.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but that’s nowhere near as bad as other politicians I’ve seen. The biggest problem with that clip is that outfit she has on. It looks like one of those fake sumo suits people wear in movies.

Doughboy on June 11, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Bush 1990 – 1992 comes to mind…

Odie1941 on June 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM

And assuming she’s thrown overboard, just whom do you all see taking the top of the ticket? I recall how happy all of the posters (including me) were in 2008 when she cratered the first time. And look how that turned out. You think the Ds are going to nominate a centrist???

2ndMAW68 on June 11, 2014 at 11:21 AM

…it’s ok!…the press is going to do its job…PEOPLE just came out with her on the cover…and other periodicals and media outlets will start doing their best to get to the low info voter….there is still time!…they have to allow for short attention spans!

KOOLAID2 on June 11, 2014 at 11:22 AM

I am pretty sure the exact same dynamic occurred in the lead up to 2008…

Overblown ratings that the MSM pushed, the “guarantee” this was the next President – with all the nothing of her real resume attached.

And then an AA hire with better optics for Dem’s came along – and there went Hillary.

I think Warren is the real Dem Womenz threat from the left in 2016.

Odie1941 on June 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM

The same poll should have asked whether B.J. Clinton is a faithful husband. Getting a 35% aye response would help readers in estimating the partisan bias.

Rix on June 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Hillary is as likeable as a case of herpes.

307wolverine on June 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Do the land a favor, you hag, and get lost.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM

PEOPLE just came out with her on the cover…

KOOLAID2 on June 11, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Can’t stand having the Hildebeast staring at me. I turn the People magazines around in the check out lanes every opportunity I get, lol. There is a nice looking man on the back cover.

Fallon on June 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Has anyone seen/heard of Boehner since last night?

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Hillary Clinton approval levels slip to lowest level since 2008

What difference, at this point, does it make?

redguy on June 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM

OT
Hagel sounds awful right now

cmsinaz on June 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Of course he does. That is why Obama picked him. Because when the sh1t hit the fan, he can throw Hagel out under the O bus and get a two’fer because Hagel is a Republican.

portlandon on June 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Hillary is as likeable as a case of herpes.

307wolverine on June 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Nice!

ToddPA on June 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Letting Amb. Stevens burn to death probably wasn’t a smart political move then, huh?

faraway on June 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM

To know Hillary – is to not like Hillary

jake-the-goose on June 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Brat on June 11, 2014 at 11:15 AM

They have those new sprayguns for makeup now, they can work wonders with anyone. It’s automotive painting technology reapplied. Just don’t get them out in the hot sun or it will crack like Georgia clay the morning after a rain.

slickwillie2001 on June 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I don’t think there’s any pundit on the left or right that is more focused on such an absolutely worthless poll that the “approval rating” is then Morrissey.

lowandslow on June 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM

HILL IS A BORN LOSER

Rook on June 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM

No more Clintons.

albill on June 11, 2014 at 11:40 AM

If it dips even lower, will Diane Sawyer have to worry about having a heart attack, like Tim Russert?

listens2glenn on June 11, 2014 at 11:41 AM

NO more Clintons, Bushs, Kennedys and obamas!!!

Else, be England or Argentina.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Somebody needs to go back to 1980 and see what a hash Teddy Kennedy made of his run and apply the lessons.

formwiz on June 11, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Brat on June 11, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Scroll down for the full, and I mean full picture.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM

HILL IS A BORN LOSER

Rook on June 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I don’t agree . . . . . I believe she was born a winner, by inheritance (daughter of Hugh Rodham a prosperous fabric store owner, and Dorothy Emma Howell Rodham), and became a self-made loser.

listens2glenn on June 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM

None of this matters. Tell me who beats her, that’s what I need to see. She can have a crap approval but so long as it’s better than whoever she runs against… she wins.

Cruz, Rubio, Christie, Jeb Bush? Maybe Rand Paul, he’s the only one that’s interesting to me at this point.

Dash on June 11, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Name ONE accomplishment made by Hillary!

………no rush……..

GarandFan on June 11, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Hillary is as likeable as a case of herpes.

307wolverine on June 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Aw, c’mon ‘wolverine … herpes ain’t that bad.

listens2glenn on June 11, 2014 at 11:50 AM

She is a terrible politician – I feel better about my prediction on her in 2016 all the time.

Go away please you completely incompetent worthless pound of flesh. And take some other folks with you as well.

Zomcon JEM on June 11, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I, for one, don’t think it sends the right image for a would-be President to be using a walker.

Tom Servo on June 11, 2014 at 11:50 AM

formwiz on June 11, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Scott Johnson at Power Line brought up Chappaquidick Fats yesterday in a post. Back in 1979 he did a disastrous interview with Roger Mudd:

The Fog of Hillary

Watching Diane Sawyer question Hillary Clinton about Benghazi on ABC News, I found myself thinking back to Roger Mudd’s destruction of Teddy Kennedy on CBS in 1979. Ms. Hillary was awake and alert, she goes on offense as always, and she scares off the posse. Even so, she wasn’t quite ready for Sawyer’s interrogation on the question of responsibility.

Scott’s post includes a link to Mudd’s 1979 interview video.

Del Dolemonte on June 11, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Dash on June 11, 2014 at 11:48 AM

ANy GOP nominated will beat Hillary, because I don’t even think she will get the dem nomination (because the dems know she won’t win a general election).

Zomcon JEM on June 11, 2014 at 11:51 AM

HILL IS A BORN LOSER

Rook on June 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM

listens2glenn on June 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM

And don’t forget, her rich parents named her after an obscure beekeeper from New Zealand who wouldn’t even become famous until 6 years after she was born!

Del Dolemonte on June 11, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Name ONE accomplishment made by Hillary!

………no rush……..

GarandFan on June 11, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I was gonna say ‘winning Patrick Moynihan’s vacated Senate seat’ … but on second thought, that was a “coronation”, and doesn’t count.

listens2glenn on June 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Sorry I haven’t been posting for a while, HA family. But it’s been a rough couple of months. After leaving my last job, I BARELY had enough money to buy my oceanview estate in the Hamptons as a summer getaway from the oppressive heat of my Hawaii plantation. The good news is that I was able to save my private jet, so I can still jet back and forth without having to go through the airports and fly First Class or even Coach! I know, it was touch and go there for a while. I don’t know how I managed to make it through these last 6 years of Bush recession.

I totally know how all Americans feel. It’s been a a rough year on the lecture circuit, but pulled myself up from my bootstraps and I can start buying Armani suits weekly instead of waiting until the end of the month. Whew!

Nethicus, Man of the People

Nethicus on June 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Nethicus on June 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Damn . . . . . that’s a winner !

listens2glenn on June 11, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Biden 2016!

Carnac on June 11, 2014 at 12:00 PM

“Is this a Hill worth dying over?” – The Benghazi Four

Fallon on June 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Nethicus on June 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM

A+

Del Dolemonte on June 11, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM

You know, Schad, sometimes I think you really don’t dig Hill all that much.

MisterElephant on June 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM

“…Even on controversial issues, the long format allows an author to craft a narrative…”

“Narrative.” That’s like a story, right? Didn’t Mom used to fan our bottoms when we “told stories”?

jbspry on June 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Dems think they’re going to get a two-fer by voting for Hillary: Check the first woman president box on their bucket list, and have Bubba running the show w/ a booming economy. They either don’t realize or are loath to admit that Hillary has neither the charisma nor triangulation skills Bill does.

Christien on June 11, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I know she has the first woman thing going for her. . . but I don’t think it is enough.
She sure looks like she has high cheek-bones in that photo…
Maybe she can pull the Native American Indian shtick also.
Maybe that would put her over the hump.
Or what the hell – just try the first lesbo route.
Dems like something extra special to feel better about themselves.

builderD on June 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Watching Hillary limping along without the black vote in 2008 was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Until I saw her dancing with Africans in her little Mao suit.

Warren will be the nominee and I called it here last year. She is a rabid Marxist idiot and she has the required lady parts. Hillary has too many enemies, Benghazi cannot be explained away, and she is also an unlikable shrew even at her best.

Warren needs to be roundly mocked and ridiculed for her fake Indian past until she publicly implodes. It should take about a week.

DeweyWins on June 11, 2014 at 1:03 PM

” But like the move “Tropical Thunder” said – She can never go the full retard route. Doesn’t work. ”

But Biden is giving it a try anyway.

builderD on June 11, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Americans have named her their Most Admired Woman 18 times.

Those 18 must have been family members.

justltl on June 11, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I’ll say it once again: Libs are about as subtle as Dolly Parton at an Amish funeral with their intentions. They’re already using Hillary’s hide to grease the skids for Elizabeth Warren’s nomination at the 2016 Dem convention; it’s virtually a replay of their tactics with Hillary vs. Obama in 2007-’08.

Why? Because Hillary, despite her radically leftist bent, isn’t as radical as the Harvard Law Squaw.

Dime IV on June 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM

jbspry on June 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM

And not being able to “sit for a week” sure didn’t take the sting out of that “fanning”…

Spare the rod, spoil the child…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Hillary just doesn’t wear well over the long haul. The SoS job was perfect for her because she could just fly around everywhere, appear busy, and never had to answer any questions.

This book tour is becoming a disaster for her. It reminds everyone of how out-of-touch she is, and her blaming, parsing and dissembling reminds everyone of – well – Barack Insane Obama.

TarheelBen on June 11, 2014 at 1:18 PM

DeweyWins on June 11, 2014 at 1:03 PM

I hope you’re right. Right now in the polls, Hillary is riding a wave of name recognition – but the more she’s in the public eye – actually talking and answering questions – the lower she will go.

TarheelBen on June 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM

This is just snobs looking down on Hillary because they found out about her life of hardscrabble poverty after she left the White House.

David Blue on June 11, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I wonder if she’s ever thought to quit while she’s ahead.

COgirl on June 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM

And what accent will she be using this time?

COgirl on June 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM

She sure looks like she has high cheek-bones in that photo…
Maybe she can pull the Native American Indian shtick also.
Maybe that would put her over the hump.
Or what the hell – just try the first lesbo route.
Dems like something extra special to feel better about themselves.

builderD on June 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Her plastic surgeon can place those “high cheek-bone” implants anywhere you like.

slickwillie2001 on June 11, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I wish she’d slip right into oblivion and let someone else have a stab at running for office. NO MORE CLINTONS!

scalleywag on June 11, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Maybe she will get the message and will just stay home and be a grandmother instead of running in 2016.

Amazingoly on June 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM

When you’ve been around and in the forefront as long as this hag has, it’s impossible (except for in-the-tankers)to mold the electorate to your bidding. As she ages, the corruption that has been the definition of the Clinton’s political lives is written all over her powder caked face. No amount of make-up can remake the past.

vnvet on June 11, 2014 at 7:04 PM

She lost to Al Sharpton’s son for president for crying out loud

Jpalm32 on June 11, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Would love to hear a publisher’s insider view of the apparent success of Hillary’s political “memoir”. #2 on the best-seller list because why? Does any sane person want to read this? No. Do the “grass-roots” organizations want to buy truckloads so that the SEIU can hand them out later? Could be!

virgo on June 12, 2014 at 1:22 AM