Bad sign: Cantor’s vanquisher surprised MSNBC host isn’t just celebrating his victory

posted at 2:01 pm on June 11, 2014 by Noah Rothman

After losing his primary to economics professor Dave Brat, Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA) revealed that he does not intend to run again as a write-in candidate. In December, the House Majority Leader will retire from Congress. Brat, running in a district with a Cook Partisan Voting Index rating of R+10, is highly likely to represent Virginia’s 7th in the 114th Congress.

And while tea party groups and talk radio hosts are celebrating the downfall of a Republican member of Congress who came to symbolize the “establishment,” there are indications that this enthusiasm is misplaced.

In the wake of his victory, Brat joined MSNBC host Chuck Todd on Wednesday where he received a gentle grilling and was asked for his position on a variety of policy matters. Brat seemed entirely unprepared to have to speak on issues of substance. In fact, he suggested – perhaps (hopefully) jokingly – that he thought Todd invited him on the program merely to celebrate his victory.

“Where are you on the minimum wage?” Todd began, starting off with a question right in this economics expert’s wheelhouse.

Brat railed against unspecific distorting effects on the market before he was prompted to say whether or not he thought a minimum wage should even exist? “I don’t have a well-crafted response on that one,” Brat replied.

…Okay. So, how about foreign policy?

“Would you be in favor of arming the Syrian rebels?” Todd asked.

“Hey, Chuck, I thought we were just going to chat today about the celebratory aspect,” Brat replied. “I’d love to go through all this, but my mind is just, uh, I didn’t get much sleep.”

“I love the policy questions, I’m happy to do more, but I just wanted to talk about the victory here,” he continued.

Sure, sleep deprivation will dull anyone’s wit. But any competent Republican campaigner should be able to endure the rendition tactics depicted in Zero Dark Thirty and emerge aware of the fact that MSNBC is not the place insurgent tea partiers go for softballs.

Maybe Brat was, as he said, merely exhausted from a long night following his primary victory. However, as The Washington Examiner’s Ashe Schow noted, “he’s going to have to get it together real quick now that he’s been thrust into the national spotlight.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Bmore

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I’d rather kiss Hillary on the lips than go to Chicago again. Most overrated place in the U.S.

DisneyFan on June 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I have an actual job and have never been in bankruptcy unlike Miss “I Am Not a Witch.”

Illinidiva on June 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Some job: Standing out in front of the doctor’s office makin’ people sick. Obamacare cover that??

bimmcorp on June 11, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Oh, and for the record, Megachurch Jesus choirs are really good.

Matticus Finch on June 11, 2014 at 3:48 PM

But then again, the Tea Party doesn’t put much stock in actually recruiting and vetting competent candidates.

Illinidiva on June 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Which tea party groups did that here? In fact, which ones were most effective in support of his campaign? Yes, this could be a trick question.

butch on June 11, 2014 at 3:48 PM

“Do you believe in it?” “Should it be raised?” “Should there be a minimum wage?”

Still waiting for an answer.

urban elitist on June 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I believe it exists.

It should most certainly not be raised.

there should not be a minimum wage – but I doubt very much any GOP candidate is going to run on that issue.

Monkeytoe on June 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM

DisneyFan on June 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM

There are a couple of nice museums….if you’re good at dodging bullets.

ElectricPhase on June 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM

DisneyFan on June 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM

And I’d rather kiss your ghey ass than go back to the deviancy fest that Disney has become.

Nutstuyu on June 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM

coolrepublica on June 11, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Thank you for a smart assessment. Same here on the NSA. The lice are conducting many illegal things, against all of us.

Also, I apologized to you, above.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I am going to take this quote and have it embroidered, frame it, and put in my living room so I can stare at it. And my husband will ask me if I had lost my mind and I will proudly say yes. XD

coolrepublica on June 11, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Illinidiva on June 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Where is this “Tea Party” I keep hearing about? It sounds really groovy man cuz the coffee and hot chocolate parties I usually attend are a real drag–and not in the “new normal” sense.

BTW, it’s spelled TEA, dumbass, as in an acronym.

Nutstuyu on June 11, 2014 at 3:53 PM

bimmcorp on June 11, 2014 at 3:41 PM

As someone that has lived in and around Chicago my entire life (and still do) and has also visited many parts of the “south,” I offer a suggestion. When people from failed states such as The People’s Republic of Illinois spew forth ignorant stereotypes about the south, just go along with it. Do not try to convince them that they are wrong.

Illinois continues to depopulate as people flee the sinking ship (IL is ranked at the bottom of nearly every scale of well-being). You do not want these people ending up in your state and, say, voting for a 63% state income tax increase like they did here in 2011. Let them stay where they are and enjoy their “culture,” such as the upcoming multi-million dollar Barack Obama Library.

visions on June 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Brat is adored by his students, and economics is harder than assumed.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

An economics professor should be able to speak eloquently about the minimum wage. The “children of God in Africa?” What does that have to do with our economy. Different cities and states have different minimum wages, yet there doesn’t seem to be a real correlation between high minimum wages and the loss of jobs. Especially when we think about the recent growth in cities, and the fact that most cities have very high minimum wages. Seattle for example, isn’t going to burst into flame.

I can forgive him for the foreign policy stuff. But that bad econ…

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I don’t think he understands politics unfortunely.

The fact he went on MSNBC at all betrays his naivete.

He needs a top-notch political advisor because he is a Republican.

And that means, they are going to try to tear him to pieces.

KirknBurker on June 11, 2014 at 3:56 PM

coolrepublica on June 11, 2014 at 3:52 PM

:) You earned/deserve it!

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Well they won’t be winning so it isn’t happening.

Illinidiva on June 11, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Hope you’re ready to eat crow in November.

DisneyFan on June 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I think we know why he’s at Randolph-Macon and not George Mason.

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM

He did. See video, not what Noah excerpted, you leech.

The “children of God in Africa?” What does that have to do with our economy.

A lot, bigot.

I can forgive him for the foreign policy stuff. But that bad econ…

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Bla, bla, bla….and his students love him.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM

visions on June 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Good point. You sound like a very rational, intelligent person. Which begs the question: What in hell is keeping you in the cesspool of Chitcago Metro?

bimmcorp on June 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I think we know why he’s at Randolph-Macon and not George Mason.

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM

We know why you moved to CO, choomed one, parasite on the taxpayers’ dole.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

coolrepublica on June 11, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Really? Schad is the worst, many conservative posters agree. Why would you want that thing’s approval?

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

The reality is, this guy never really thought he was going to win.

But, how many people in their first race for congress have vast knowledge of all the issues (in reality, how many incumbents do – in my estimation, 98% of the dem incumbents don’t understand anything about economics, history, foreign policy, the constitution, etc.)?

And, I love how the pro left-of-center GOP apologists keep claiming that the “Tea Party” loses races. the “tea party” (which is hardly some top-down single entity that the left/GOP pretend it is) backs a candidate in a primary. If your preferred candidate loses to the tea party backed candidate, then your candidate wasn’t a particularly good candidate, was she?

If Mike Castle can’t beat Christine O’Donnell, then maybe your problem should be with Mike Castle. Why were constituents mad at him and/or the party? Why was he unable to beat such a flawed candidate as Christine O’Donnell?

As far as the “tea party” (I use scare quotes because the tea party is, again, not some single entity making decisions, but multiple groups claiming the title, none of which has some set membership that it can dictate to) vetting candidates – it’s not as if the GOP is great at vetting candidates.

How many races a cycle does the GOP lose? Didn’t they vet the candidates? Romney was a terrible candidate? Why didn’t the GOP vet him? McCain was a terrible candidate – where was the GOP on that vetting? the GOP initially picked Christ over Rubio. What kind of insane decision is that?

Pretending that if we just all shut up and accept whatever candidate the GOP demands we back is insane. If you want more establishment-type candidates to win primaries, maybe the establishment shouldn’t alienate its voters. Ever think of that? Ever consider that it is the GOP’s fault that the GOP has no credibility with its own base? No. Of course not. It’s the base’s fault. As consumers, we have to bend over and take it up the kiester, because that’s the way supply and demand works. And here I thought the GOP was the party that understood economics.

Monkeytoe on June 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

The Trolls (from both sides) are all scared spitless. sh!tless.

kingsjester on June 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM

FIFY. They must terrified, they’re dropping turds all over the place. The stench is getting pretty bad and the footing treacherous.

novaculus on June 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I don’t think he understands politics unfortunely.

KirknBurker on June 11, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Too funny. He just upset a sitting House Maj Leader. Maybe you’re sleep deprived.

faraway on June 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I think we know why he’s at Randolph-Macon and not George Mason.

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Does everybody poop?

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I thought he did a nice job in this interview. It was obvious that Chuck Todd mis-lead him on questions that would be asked of him. Regardless I thought he handled them well. This post is not reflective of what actually took place in this interview. Very disappointing.

WilsonReagan on June 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Illinidiva on June 11, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Actually, I think Cantor was the absent candidate.

Barred on June 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Really? Schad is the worst, many conservative RINO/DIABLO posters agree. Why would you want that thing’s approval?

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Thank you for the compliment, parasite.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Illinidiva on June 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Geez, your rantings sound like a screeching loon. Stop dissing whole groups of people and whole areas of the country. In fact, why don’t you take a long break from the rigor of posting on Hot Air. You clearly need the time-out.

KickandSwimMom on June 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Fifm

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

He did fine. He answered the questions, you just were listening for something else.

Todd was being a condescending doosh.

SondraK on June 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I actually thought he handled Chuckie well. Sure Brat should have had a better answer to the minimum wage question (Democratic talking point), however the question about Syria was lunacy. We aren’t in Syria, were never going to Syria, and is something most House members aren’t required to pay much attention to.

Chuck was just out for a gotcha question.

Tater Salad on June 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Illinidiva on June 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I am hopeful for Brat, but yeah, in the past, it seemed the tea party people would just pull people off the street and run them.

cimbri on June 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I can forgive him for the foreign policy stuff. But that bad econ…

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

there are plenty of studies showing the exact opposite. But, you keep on making assertions as if they are fact.

In your feeble little mind, is there a minimum wage that would cost jobs – or can the gov’t declare that everyone be paid $100 an hour and we can all be rich (or at least upper-middle class).

Monkeytoe on June 11, 2014 at 4:03 PM

coolr is way smarter than you, racist parasitic slave of HA.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 4:03 PM

God, the ‘marriage’ of liblikeaslave and the Ill-diva is something to behold. God love you both and thank you for the smiles.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I listened to the full excerpt. He said “wages can’t surpass productivity” and that’s just wrong, again see the data on high minimum wages and job creation in large cities. What he did not say is “I advocate the repeal of the minimum wage.” Because he was scared. And you all know why he is scared. So honestly, knowing in your hearts, that the vast, vast majority of Americans support increasing the minimum wage, why do you claim to represent “real America?” You are a vast minority on so many economic issues. Why is your America the “real” America?

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Does everybody poop?

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Other alternative headlines….

“Bad sign! Dave Brat says he needs sleep! Is he ready for congress?”

“Bad sign! Dave Brat uses the non-word “uh” in a sentence. Has he suffered brain damage like Hillary?”

Bad sign! Dave Brat unable to give detailed answer on foreign policy question! Is he ready for the 3 AM call?”

Bad sign! What mysterious “supporters” did Dave Brat feel the need to thank by interrupting a national television interview? Is he sending signals that he is pro-amnesty?”

JellyToast on June 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM

In your feeble little mind, is there a minimum wage that would cost jobs –

Monkeytoe on June 11, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Anymore questions?

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Brat did fine in the interview. I don’t see any bad sign here.

thuja on June 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Monkeytoe on June 11, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Anymore questions?

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Does everybody poop?

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I like your logic, seems from recent polling (the supposed basis for your argument) “real Americans’ don’t want Obama as president. Therefore you should ask for him to resign.

Tater Salad on June 11, 2014 at 4:08 PM

faraway on June 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM

LOL!! with some people here at work on Bart’s victory and his deer in the headlights moment on MSNBC.

But my point is that we know he can win, but I’m pretty sure he thought he was not going to win.

But now the tough part begins. Like Obama winning a campaign, that is simply ONE part of politics as he fails the governing part. Dealing with the media AFTER you are elected is going to be really tough.

It’s simply different now. He needs to understand that you should NEVER go into any interviews with MSDNC and also that you NEVER do interviews when tired. Always in the morning when you are at your A game.

Great, you won. Now the real fight begins.

KirknBurker on June 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Seattle for example, isn’t going to burst into flame.

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Because nobody can afford a match.

Armed Texan on June 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Really libfree – wages can surpass productivity? So, you can lose money on your employees and still turn a profit? Really? Idiot.

again see the data on high minimum wages and job creation in large cities.

Please cite me the studies you claim show that high minimum wages “create” jobs.

I will admit that no candidate is going to run on repeal of the minimum wage. The vast majority of voters have no understanding of economics and will not support repealing the minimum wage outright. Doesn’t make the position wrong, just bad politics.

I don’t know that this is true. I’m sure the vast majority do not support repealing the minimum wage, but I’m not certain a “vast majority” support increasing the minimum wage. Regardless, as we all know, just because the public thinks something, doesn’t make it correct.

why do you claim to represent “real America?”

this is just partisan hyperbole you are spouting. I would suggest that we claim to adhere to the constitution and traditional American values.

You are a vast minority on so many economic issues.

Not true.

Why is your America the “real” America?

Conservatives believe we should obey the constitution versus the left’s desire to abandon the constitution (although you do it dishonestly, claiming it is a “living” document that can be reinterpreted to mean the exact opposite of what it says).

Monkeytoe on June 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Seattle for example, isn’t going to burst into flame.

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Because it rains most of the time, dummy.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM

MSNBC is not the place insurgent tea partiers go for softballs

Noah, news flash: he got zero money from Tea Party groups.

How come I know that and you don’t?

Akzed on June 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Anymore questions?

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM

You just refuted your own argument idiot.

Your argument is that increasing the minimum wage does not have any costs.

Yet you admit it does.

Any more stupid snark?

Monkeytoe on June 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM

KirknBurker on June 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I can’t disagree with anything you said there.

As I said earlier somewhere, I’m sure they rick-rolled him by saying they were with NBC News and just wanted a quick phone call with his remarks on his victory.

faraway on June 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Seattle for example, isn’t going to burst into flame.

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Just so I understand your logic; it’s good that Seattle raised the minimum wage to $15hr, yet you want more low wage workers from south of the border?

Tater Salad on June 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Well reading this post by Noah and then listening to full audio on Brat taught me something. Never read a damn thing Noah writes from now on and always listen to the full source on everything Noah writes about.

One day HotAir will hire a conservative. Otherwise they will always be full of HotGas.

Conservative4Ever on June 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Any more stupid snark?

Monkeytoe on June 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Does everybody poop?

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM

What kind of stupid troll-bait headline is this?

Oh right, the kind we get at Hot Air now.

Chuck Todd conducting a gotcha-style, “keep the narrative going” form of 8th grade interview is bad enough, but way to mischaracterize the whole 4 minute clip, Rothman.

What is this, Media Matters?

somewhatconcerned on June 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I think we know why he’s at Randolph-Macon and not George Mason.

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM

It must suck to actually have to teach a real subject like Econ, and not just publish a few papers about Afro-Cuban music and its influence on James Baldwin’s late writings. :)

Good Solid B-Plus on June 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Anymore questions?

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Yes…Is it true that when you were a little liar, your mama used to sit you in the corner and feed you with a sling shot??

bimmcorp on June 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Tater Salad on June 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Yes, because the HA slave, like his obama, believe in slave-labor and illegal abuse of children.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Why do you believe, even for a split second, that anyone here would consider you to be credible on anything, let alone economics? You post as if you have some kind of expertise on these matters when you know damn well and good, outside of the handful of other trolls, everyone here considers your offerings to be vapor.

dorkintheroad on June 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on June 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

And you left out what he really publishes and works on: black gay sex with little boys.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Libfree,

how many hamburgers at McDonald’s does one cashier have to sell to make her $15/hour in Seattle profitable for McDonald’s?

Now, add in the people cooking the hamburger.

don’t forget to add in the payroll taxes on that $15, plus state taxes, plus workers comp insurance. Don’t forget to add in the cost of the property (overhead/maintenance/property taxes). don’t forget to add in insurance and the cost of the materials to make the hamburger.

Now, how many hamburgers will McDonald’s have to sell to make a cashier at $15 an hour profitable? Or, will it have to raise its prices?

Your ignorant suggestion that raising the minimum wage has no costs is infantile.

Monkeytoe on June 11, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Don’t worry, Seattle’s time is coming. Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle :)

Good Solid B-Plus on June 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM

BTW, it’s spelled TEA, dumbass, as in an acronym.
Nutstuyu on June 11, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Says who, dumbass?

Akzed on June 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Heh. Trolls are having a hard time today.

Missy on June 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Great

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Let the conservative degradation begin anew here at HA. One of the main reasons I tell people not to visit this site.

Mr. Arrogant on June 11, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Illinidiva on June 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM

How much Tea Party money did he get? From which Tea Party groups?

Akzed on June 11, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Heh. Trolls are having a hard time today.

Missy on June 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM

The HA trolls have a hard time *every* day.

We need an upgrade – the ones we have suck.

Midas on June 11, 2014 at 4:20 PM

That song is particularly apropos for this topic:

She’ll come back as fire, to burn all the liars, leaving a blanket of ash on the ground…

Good Solid B-Plus on June 11, 2014 at 4:21 PM

everyone here considers your offerings to be vapor.

dorkintheroad on June 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Anal vapor, at that!!!

bimmcorp on June 11, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Seattle for example, isn’t going to burst into flame.

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Way to set the bar high.

airupthere on June 11, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Brat will get it together… [hear that, Brat? Get It Together!]

Newtie and the Beauty on June 11, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Yes ma’am!

*feverishly scribbles list of magazines and newspapers to read; looks up Bush Doctrine on Wikipedia* /

Brat on June 11, 2014 at 4:26 PM

He said “wages can’t surpass productivity” and that’s just wrong libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Huh, so if a worker produces less than he is paid, it’s good for the company. I did not know that. Howsabout if everyone in the company makes more than the entire company produces?

Since asst professors don’t produce anything we understand why you’d say something as inane as that.

Akzed on June 11, 2014 at 4:28 PM

If he wants to go on MSLSD, he can expect to receive a pop quiz, and lots of questions about religion and social issues.

TarheelBen on June 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Monkeytoe on June 11, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I spent a 46 year career in the restaurant industry, much of it in the fast food segment, and much in the casual dining segment. In EVERY instance that the minimum wage rose, two thing happened without fail.

1. The price of the goods sold increased across the board
2. Productivity targets were increased…management expected more performance using less man hours.

Ten years of my career were spent in the Seattle Metro market. Seattle and the entire State of Washington has always had a much higher minimum wage than that of other, more business friendly, successful states. Managing a restaurant successfully in Washington State is twice as difficult as operating one in Texas. And it is about to become even more so.

bimmcorp on June 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM

His answer on minimum wage was more intelligent than any politician.
His answer on trade was also wise and thorough.
His answer on Syrian rebels at this point was all he should say and let Todd spew.
Trying to label him the day after is stupidly simple. But his answer was genuine.

Because he does not answer policy questions the way Chucky wants him to in a shot gun fashion is just poor interviewing on Chucky’s part.

Connecticut on June 11, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Todd tries to Curic him.

Connecticut on June 11, 2014 at 4:32 PM

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

That minimum wage laws are a terrible idea is a fact from the science of economics. Majority opinion can no more change that than a vote on gravity is going to change how it works. We need more education on economics in our society. If we could just get people to understand economics much of the Democratic agenda will disappear, because it is mind blowingly stupid and counter-productive.

For people who find economics too hard, I advocate a study of the Chinese philosophy of Daoism as the easy way to understand a government relation to the economy. In particular the Daoist idea of wu wei (roughly meaning non-action) is explicitly used in the Dao De Jing as how a king should govern, and when thought about in relation to the rest of Daoism, it gets you close enough to the economics that a citizen should understand.

thuja on June 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Lemme boil this down: “Maybe what he said about himself was true.”

The alternative is that he’s a liar, right? Did you mean to imply that? If so, why? If not, then how come it’s so easily inferred?

Akzed on June 11, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Todd tries to Curic him.

Connecticut on June 11, 2014 at 4:32 PM

…and Hot Air blogger Noah Rothman is right there with the assist.

ElectricPhase on June 11, 2014 at 4:41 PM

If Chuck Todd was an actual journalist, then serious answers would be in order. Serious Guys–does anyone take a guy with two first names seriously?

Christien on June 11, 2014 at 4:44 PM

That’s great……but who the is Noah Rothman??

jephthah on June 11, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Worrisome that an Economics professor can’t rattle off a minimum wage argument. I’m confident he’s capable. And I’m sure in a different setting he’d be able to do this in his sleep. I’m guessing it was either the bright lights of cable tv, or timidity of not wanting to air an unpopular opinion.

limecat on June 11, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Who cares what a Primary winner says the day after he wins in a huge upset?

The election is in November… right?

Odie1941 on June 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM

The Trolls are all scared spitless.
kingsjester on June 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Oh, I dunno about that. I see a lot of spit flying from them. And a lot of the other word, the one with an ‘h’ instead of the ‘p’ is flying around here too.

LegendHasIt on June 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM

…and Hot Air blogger Noah Rothman is right there with the assist.

ElectricPhase on June 11, 2014 at 4:41 PM

You will always have Allahpundit.

V7_Sport on June 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM

limecat on June 11, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Or maybe it’s a new leader trying to keep his pimp hand strong at Todd Charles’ expense, knowing that his election, world view, and policy ideas are already declared by the enemy to be failures a priori before the interview even began. Just a guess.

Christien on June 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM

You will always have Allahpundit.

V7_Sport on June 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I’ll always take the straight facts (even with AP’s virtuoso sardonic, knife-twisting delivery) over hack-tastic spin jobs.

ElectricPhase on June 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Ha ha ha.

How’s the revolution coming along comrade?

And yes guys wages can surpass productivity. But only if the government gets involved in redistribution and subsidies – just look at libfree, the living breathing example of wages surpassing productivity.

gwelf on June 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Does anybody actually read what’s posted on this site?

corona79 on June 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I think we know why he’s at Randolph-Macon and not George Mason.
libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Indeed we do:

Because he isn’t a Chocolate Rainbow affirmative action hire.

Probably the best ‘real world’ Economics Professor / Presidential Economics Adviser worked even farther into the sticks, with students who were hicks, at the University of New Mexico.

LegendHasIt on June 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Can’t wait for The Krugman to weigh in.

Christien on June 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM

gwelf on June 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

… as are most government employees, for that matter.

And when brat says “wages can’t surpass productivity” that’s not a literal “can’t”, it’s a “shouldn’t, if you have a single clue about economics”.

Midas on June 11, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I learned of Dave Brat at roughly the same time I learned of Noah Rothman. I gotta say that after viewing the interview, I’m more impressed with Brat and much less with Rothman. Very poor synopsis.

kpguru on June 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Why can’t our guys do what the D’s do and just go on the offensive?

“The minimum wage debate would not even be necessary were it not for the six years of the Obama failed economic policies, runaway spending and inflation.”

“Arming of Syrian rebels is a contentious topic made even more difficult due to the lack of a coherent foreign policy from this Administration.”

Easy as pie!

TarasBulbous on June 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM

after reading Noah’s content, I was expecting the video to be much worse. I thought Brat did fine, especially given the lack of sleep he talked about. Now I’m wondering about Noah and his ability to write objective articles based on fact. Is he the new guy on Hot Air? Not impressed yet, keep trying Noah.

greencalliope on June 11, 2014 at 5:18 PM

This blog post is hype and tripe.

Wigglesworth on June 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM

And yes guys wages can surpass productivity.

Of course they can – but not for long. Just like too much debt, or too little cash flow – overpaying your staff will catch up with you. Business model = business failure.

LilyBart on June 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM

OH NOES! You mean the guy who’s new enough to politics that he hasn’t been tainted by Washington corruption is a little green about how the media sharks operate??? OH MY GOD PLEASE GOD LET US HAVE OUR DEAR SWEET RINO CANTOR BACK PLEASE OR ALL IS LOST!!!!!! The GOPe is corrupt as hell, but at least they always know what to do in front of a camera! OH MY GOD THE HORROR!

Come on. Either you put up with the corrupt bastards who know how things work, or you get some new, honest, uncorrupted people into government who might need to learn a few things along the way. I mean, COME ON.

With all the scandals going on, with the VA, with Obama going behind Congress’s back to trade five terrorist generals for one deserting private, with Gutierrez suggesting that Obama will simply impose amnesty by fiat, you people are really going to get flummoxed and upset that Brat revealed a little naivete about how the Washington freakshow circus works? Seriously?

Guess what: You don’t get fresh blood without getting people who are sometimes a little naive about how things work.

Aitch748 on June 11, 2014 at 5:22 PM

libfreeordie on June 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Sort of like Democrats are scared to tell truth about wanting to ban all guns…and limit freedom of speech, and in general getting rid of capitalism. Oh yes…that constitution needs to go too…

Hey Lib is there any others you would like to add?

William Eaton on June 11, 2014 at 5:25 PM