The least-trusted name in news is …

posted at 12:01 pm on June 10, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

The data comes from a Brookings Institute paper dealing with the nature of opposition to immigration reform and a sub-section from E. J. Dionne and William Galston on political polarization and the media, all of which is interesting — but not quite as interesting as the results of this survey. The most-trusted name in news for all Americans is, unsurprisingly, Fox News, which also has the highest ratings by far in the industry. Broadcast news — the three networks — come in a close second, with CNN a more distant third place. However, the “honor” of being the least-trusted name in news, in practically every demographic, is MSNBC, a subsidiary of NBC News — which ranks below Jon Stewart among all but Democrats.

Here’s the chart that lays out the bad news for Comcast, in answer to the polling question: “Which of the following television news sources do you trust the most to provide accurate information about politics and current events?”

brookings-media

Almost as many liberals and Democrats identify Fox as their most trusted news source as MSNBC; with liberals, it’s presumably in the margin of error. That’s certainly the case among Democrats with Jon Stewart. It looks like a toss-up between which version of comedy they want to experience.

Interestingly, though, the area of most consensus is still the venerable broadcast-news programs. Clearly, Republicans and conservatives favor Fox, but broadcast news gets the most even distribution of trust on partisan and ideological grounds. The alphabets get a little more trust from Republicans than independents, who spread their trust rather evenly between the broadcast networks, CNN, and public television — although the plurality chooses Fox first. In contrast, MSNBC is a fringe choice in all demographics, and comes in next to last even among its target demos of Democrats and liberals.

Dionne and Galston note that jobs and the economy dominate the priorities of all groups in their analysis, and that immigration reform — the central focus of the lengthy Brookings effort — isn’t really a big priority for Americans:

There is a paradox in our politics at the moment. It is obvious that our political system is deeply polarized and that the political parties advocate very different approaches to core issues such as health care and the economy. Yet at the same time, Americans across partisan, ideological, and demographic lines largely agree on the relative importance of the challenges we face.

The people as a whole see the acceleration of job creation as the top priority, with reducing the budget deficit and health care costs also scoring high. Enacting immigration reform and addressing climate change trail far behind, while dealing with moral breakdown occupies a middle position.

When we turn to subgroups, some surprising results emerge.  For example when asked to rate particular issues as a highest, high or lower priority, only 36% of Hispanics regard immi- gration reform as a highest priority, compared to 62% who list jobs as the highest priority and 49% who cite health care costs.  In fact, there are few differences over priorities across racial and ethnic lines.  By substantial margins, whites, African-Americans, and Hispanics care most about job creation and least about immigration and climate change. All three groups rank moral breakdown fourth on the list of six.  Whites and men as a whole care more about the deficit than about health care costs, while the reverse is the case for African-Americans and women.

One might have expected issues such as climate change and immigration reform to score high among young adults.  Not so: only 22% gave a “highest priority” rating to climate change and even fewer (17%) to immigration reform.  Only 29% of self-described liberals view climate change as a highest priority issue, and only 22% put immigration reform in that category.

What would make for an interesting research paper would be to compare the air time accorded to these priorities by each of these media outlets. I’d hypothesize based on casual observation that MSNBC probably spends a highly disproportionate amount of time on low-priority issues like climate change and immigration reform, while the more trusted outlets actually report on issues about which Americans across all demographics care — jobs, the economy, and the disastrous effects of ObamaCare. That could be one reason why those outlets gain more trust in dealing with breaking news than MSNBC does in any context.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Ok. Now for that poker card comment. Any help on that one?

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 2:34 PM

The Mrs. just reminded me that the grass isn’t going to mow itself.

I told her that I’m working on a money-making idea — I’m going to invent grass that does mow itself.

She did not believe me — I think she saw the “HotAir” banner.

Alien on June 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM

But then where does this gun using thing come from? It just seems like a complete non sequitur to me.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Jeezus dipstick, he was using you for verbal target practice. Practicing his debating skills against a clearly inferior opponent. No threat and nothing sexual in nature. He was explaining to non-nonpartisan that he did not consider it a waste of time by using an analogy. Everyone but you apparently understood. Sorry guys, just got fed up with the idiocy.

Oldnuke on June 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 2:34 PM

So, how many hours a day do you watch MSNBC? Do you watch it while you troll?

Would yo like to make an on topic comment…or, are you simply (apt description) here to disrupt Conservative Discussion?

Hold on, let me get some popcorn. This should be good,

kingsjester on June 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I’m gonna go with some sort of sexual thing that went over my head. I apologize for in any way implying that you were threatening me.
themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM

[activate "Shetland Compensation Mode"...]

And cue the inevitable response:

What does that mean?
themuppet on June 10, 2014

Newtie and the Beauty on June 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM

So, how many hours a day do you watch MSNBC? Do you watch it while you troll?

Hold on, let me get some popcorn. This should be good,

kingsjester on June 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I’m not sure that I’ve ever actually watched MSNBC. maybe one of those locked up shows.

Anyways, where would have been the proper place to post my comment? Hotair hasn’t had a single post of this issue (or headline for that matter).

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Oldnuke on June 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Thanks.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Watch “The Lies of Fox News – Exposed” on YouTube
The Lies of Fox News – Exposed: http://youtu.be/IM77Ux6kj5Q

Lol at Fox News being the “Most Trusted” haha. John Stewart catches them in lies every night on his program.

Politricks on June 10, 2014 at 2:43 PM

The results display the choice of the “Tea Party” people, “the silent majority” as well as “common sense”. The above will never be recognized by sitting politicians or MSM but the results are very telling.

Pardonme on June 10, 2014 at 2:45 PM

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM

So, you are here to troll simply.

Thanks for the honesty.

Second Question: Do you believe that being intentionally obtuse is cute?

Third Question: Have I run into you on Conservative Facebook Pages? Because I’ve experienced your act before…and it was just as weak, then.

kingsjester on June 10, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Politricks on June 10, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Gee, is THAT why Jon Stewart is ranked between NPR (aka “Public Television”) and MSNBC on the “Most Trusted” scale?

Newtie and the Beauty on June 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Questions brought over from last page.

blink on June 10, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Police said they have found a possible “manifesto” among the Millers’ belongings, a law enforcement official told CNN.

“People are awakening” said a post that appeared June 5 on Jerad Miller’s Facebook page, which seems to be full of strident pro-Second Amendment and anti-government rants.

On June 2, there was a long rant: “We can hope for peace. We must, however, prepare for war. We face an enemy that is not only well funded, but who believe they fight for freedom and justice. Those of us who know the truth and dare speak it, know that the enemy we face are indeed our brothers. …”

“To stop this oppression, I fear, can…only be accomplished with bloodshed,” the post says. The writer casts blame on “enemies” without being specific about who the enemies are.

Read more: http://ktla.com/2014/06/09/las-vegas-shooting-new-details-emerge-about-couple-who-killed-2-officers-woman/#ixzz34GP5X5mq

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Oldnuke on June 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM

No, themuppet understands, and knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s playing stupid, trolling for attention, and getting it. He shouldn’t be rewarded with seriousness.

non-nonpartisan on June 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM

So, you are here to troll simply.

Thanks for the honesty.

Second Question: Do you believe that being intentionally obtuse is cute?

kingsjester on June 10, 2014 at 2:46 PM

1. I think I raised a good question about why there haven’t been any posts on this topic.

2. I’m not being intentionally obtuse. Unintentionally obtuse, perhaps.

3. No. I rarely ever use facebook.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Politricks on June 10, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Is that you, Melissa?

NotCoach on June 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Exactly right. He’s like the child at Thanksgiving Dinner. He keeps interrupting the adults’ conversation and refuses to go and sit back down at the kiddie table.

…jumping up and down, yelling “Look at me! Look at me!”

kingsjester on June 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM

You probably will never believe me, but I honestly didn’t understand the comment. I still don’t understand the comment about showing my cards.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Pardonme on June 10, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Well, that certainly explains the urine-deficient performance by the *ahem!* Dems and liberals…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Beside no Sarah Palin Threads, all of these socks are one of the reasons thread count is down around here.

kingsjester on June 10, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Too bad there isn’t an ‘ignore’ feature. It would be nice to cut down on a lot of this inane clutter just by ignoring trolls like ‘thesockpuppet’.

BMG on June 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM

BMG on June 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM

What do you mean by “thesockpuppet”? (that was a joke)

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 2:54 PM

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM

You say you don’t watch MSNBC to any great degree. Where do you get your news? Which column do you fit into?

Oldnuke on June 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM

In fairness to the lefties, the main reason for this result is probably because conservatives (and centrists) really only have one source to go to, whereas the left has a ton of choices.

Among all Americans, Fox News per this poll is named as the most trusted source by only as many Americans as the sum of MSNBC, public tv, and Jon Stewart watchers. The left is just split up because so much of the TV dial reflects their viewpoints.

I’ll rejoice when Fox News outpolls the sum of those other outlets. . .

Chuckles3 on June 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM

“The people as a whole see the acceleration of job creation as the top priority, with reducing the budget deficit and health care costs also scoring high. Enacting immigration reform and addressing climate change trail far behind…”

Duh. If we’re hell-bent on importing millions of illiterate illegals we damn well better start hiring the sh*t outta gardeners and housecleaners. I mean, San Francisco can’t do it alone…

jbspry on June 10, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Oldnuke on June 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM

nytimes and blogs like this. Of the sources listed, i’d say I either don’t trust or don’t consume all of them.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM

So, you consider some crazy rant on Facebook to be an actual effort to start a revolution? Do you even take yourself seriously?

This is completely dwarfed by involvement with Occupy Wall Street.

blink on June 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM

The facebook posts just provide evidence of his motivations for shooting two cops.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 3:02 PM

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Akzed on June 10, 2014 at 3:08 PM

jbspry on June 10, 2014 at 2:57 PM

The surge in illegals is just part of the plan. They (the Obama administration) appear to be trying to overwhelm the social welfare section of our society with a flood of people who have literally nothing. How long before we have hordes of destitute people roaming the countryside? How long before The Won can declare a national emergency and institute some form of armed controls? Adjusts tinfoil hat.

Oldnuke on June 10, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Reread your definition. Nothing about motivation. If you want people to take you seriously, then stop writing stupid things.
Again, a Facebook rant does not constitute an effort to start a revolution. And again, this pales in comparison to participation in Occupy Wall Street.

My definition says “for political purposes”. That’s motivation.

Also, the rant wasn’t the effort. Killing cops was the effort.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 3:13 PM

When I first read a few years back that a good % of collage students get their news from Jon Steward I was disappointed. When I met someone who sited an obvious Jon Steward satire piece as news, in person not in a comment or post, I was dismayed. When I heard other news outlets citing Jon Steward satire has news I gave up.
So my only question is why is Jon Steward still being listed as a news source? When did a news based Satire Show become a source worthy of inclusion in a poll about news outlet trustworthiness?
The statement they make with his inclusion in this poll frightens me about our future.

Gwillie on June 10, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Part of the reason why: Fox’s Megyn Kelly Beat O’Reilly in Demo for Full Week — The First Time Ever

slickwillie2001 on June 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Good grief. No it doesn’t. You lied by using those quotations.

Here is YOUR definition from the previous page.

You’re correct. I got a word wrong:

Violence against civilians for political reasons.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 12:08 PM

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping

Also, this section deals with motivation.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 3:33 PM

So, killing a cop is an effort “to start an armed revolution to overthrow the government”????

So, everyone that kills a cop is “trying to start an armed revolution to overthrow the government”????

Can you please start to take yourself seriously?

blink on June 10, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Killing a cop is an effort to start a revolution when you repeatedly state that you’re going to try to start a revolution. There are also accounts that they were shouting “revolution” during the attacks.

People kills cops for lots of reasons, trying to start a revolution is (i hope) relatively rare.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I got a word wrong:

No, you got THREE words wrong. ALL three of the words you used were wrong.

blink on June 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I believe that you take issue with this:

My definition says “for political purposes”. That’s motivation.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 3:13 PM

If you look back at MY definition (the other definition is from the FBI):

Violence against civilians for political reasons.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 12:08 PM

That’s one word. (Also, purpose and reason have basically the same meaning.)

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 3:48 PM

No, this section doesn’t deal with motivation. This section deals with elements that are required to be present in order to fit YOUR definition.

blink on June 10, 2014 at 3:46 PM

First of all, that’s the FBI’s definition. Second, “intended to” basically means the same thing as motivation in this context. If you disagree with that, well, there’s no point in arguing further.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I got a word wrong:

No, you got THREE words wrong. ALL three of the words you used were wrong.

blink on June 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Also, I don’t typically do this, but I think an apology might be warranted in this instance. I misquoted one word, yet you continue to accuse me of far worse despite clear evidence to the contrary.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 3:52 PM

The Mrs. just reminded me that the grass isn’t going to mow itself.

She did not believe me — I think she saw the “HotAir” banner.

Alien on June 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Isn’t Bob Vila advertising a grass that only grows so tall and you only have mow occasionally. She probably saw the commercial and felt you were taking undue credit for someone else’s accomplishment.

Boats48 on June 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM

blink on June 10, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Good question. Using the FBI definition, those examples might fit the definition. I think we’d both agree that those aren’t terrorist acts. Seems to be a problem with the definition, no? Do you think there should be some sort of “realistic threat to accomplish their goal” requirement? My only concern with that would be it would likely knock Hassan out.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM

It’s the definition that YOU provided. It is your definition. Then you completely misquoted the definition that you provided by getting ZERO of THREE words correctly. Pathetic.

blink on June 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM

We’re really really really getting into the weeds here, but someone else posted that (FBI) definition first. Go back and check.

As to the firs definition (which I misquoted by one word), that was a direct response to someone asking ME to define terrorist act.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Good grief. Things don’t match definitions just ’cause you kinda sorta want them to basically mean the same thing.

blink on June 10, 2014 at 3:56 PM

pur·pose
ˈpərpəs/Submit
noun
the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.

rea·son
ˈrēzən/Submit
noun
a cause, explanation, or justification for an action or event.
“the minister resigned for personal reasons”
synonyms: cause, ground(s), basis, rationale; More

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Seems to be a problem with the definition, no?

No, seems to be a problem with your INTERPRETATION of the definition.

Well, speeding, polluting, jaywalking are acts dangerous to human life. If you’re doing them intending to start a revolution, you’re doing so in order “(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion;”

Perhaps it wouldn’t fit that last part: “by intimidation or coercion”

Are you claiming that Hassan wasn’t simply committing workplace violence?

blink on June 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Hassan was a terrorist.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM

That’s great. Thanks for defining two words – neither of which are used in the definition.

blink on June 10, 2014 at 4:05 PM

I honestly don’t know if you’re being sincere or not. I think I’ve made it plainly clear that I was quoting my original definition. Why won’t you accept that? Is this a job-like test of my trolling abilities?

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM

jumping up and down, yelling “Look at me! Look at me!”

kingsjester on June 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Yep.

He shouldn’t be rewarded with seriousness.

non-nonpartisan on June 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Making fun of themuppet’s stupidity isn’t a serious reward.

blink on June 10, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Believing he(?)’s obtuse when he isn’t, and arguing with him when his only intent is to troll is to take him seriously. That is something beyond “making fun” of him.

If you want to think he’s operating at a level above a bot, or Stephen Colbert’s level of humor, you’re free to do that. However, you should acknowledge that some of us out here are shaking our heads at you as we watch him successfully bait you. You’re getting punked by him, and he likes it.

non-nonpartisan on June 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM

And if someone has a facebook rant about a revolution then you would automatically claim that their jaywalking was intended to influence policy of a government.

You’re just as crazy as your OWS couple.

Is there another reason that they killed the cops that I’m not aware of? That’s a sincere question.

Gee, NOW your finally starting to actually consider the language of the definition? AFTER you’ve already made definitive claims about it?

blink on June 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I don’t think anything written in a comments section could be classified as “definitive” (even this statement)

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 4:16 PM

themuppet,

Please tell us your position on Occupy Wall Street? Chemtrails? GMO’s? Electromagnetic mind control?

And also please disclose if you’re a 911 Truther or not.

blink on June 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM

1. OWS – smelly hippies (and rapists)
2. Chemtrails – I don’t know what that is
3. GMOs – eat them all the time – might be in favor of labeling,just because more info is generally better than less
4. Electromagnetic mind control – if it was possible, wouldn’t you be agreeing with me right now?

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM

And also please disclose if you’re a 911 Truther or not.

blink on June 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I forgot 911 truther – No, I am not a truther.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Wow. I go away and come back to find you folks allowed yourselves to be dragged down by minutia emanating from the troll. Look my muppet friend I was simply pointing out that these unhinged fools that go around committing these “terrorist” acts all come from your side – the NY Times reading Obama/democrat voting left. Not our side. Don’t blame us for your mental disorder. And liberalism is a mental disorder.
(I say “liberal” because there’s no accurate definition of you people that’s all encompassing so I use common parlance. You are only “liberal” with my money & rights)

Judge_Dredd on June 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Judge_Dredd on June 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM

If anyone got dragged down by minutia, I’d say it was me. I got dragged into that stupid debate over whether I had lied when i misquoted my terrorist definition – ugh. I just can’t help myself sometimes.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I just can’t help myself sometimes.

themuppet on June 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM

There’s a cure for that. However. You being one of the more intelligent trolls I’d trade a couple of Kochs, a couple of coolrepublicas and a bluegill for you any day. Consider yourself the Bergdahl of Hotair.

Judge_Dredd on June 10, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Judge_Dredd on June 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM

themuppet is a dumba$$ who isn’t interested in the thread’s topic. He likes playing stupid while trolling. He doesn’t try to hide it-look at the idjit username, everyone, for Pete’s sake.

Judge_Dredd on June 10, 2014 at 4:47 PM

lol =)

A reminder.

U.S. Government Writes Software to Enable Squads of Propaganda Comment Trolls

Akzed on June 10, 2014 at 3:08 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM

A reminder.

U.S. Government Writes Software to Enable Squads of Propaganda Comment Trolls

Akzed on June 10, 2014 at 3:08 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM

And I agree with that in the cases of such trolls as coolrepublica and Koch. Bluegill too. I remember how much pain she caused before I got here with her constant Romney barrages. But the muppet, while it probably came from the same name generator has decided to “go rogue” so to speak and use his own relative “intelligence” on his own.
But I was somewhat in agreement. There have been precious few threads on this and since they always blow up in their faces, I decided to engage on the subject.

Now if we could prevail upon you and the others on the QOTD from answering cool, Koch and others,… :)

Judge_Dredd on June 10, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Judge_Dredd on June 10, 2014 at 5:28 PM

As I said to coolrepublica before, I reserve the right for myself to respond to her(?) as I wish-on my terms, not hers or anyone else’s.

To talk to trolls is not necessarily to feed them. I don’t believe I encourage them to troll further; I believe I do the opposite.

non-nonpartisan on June 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Melithaa Harisllhhh Perry Harditsh Hit.

But, I tamponthhs in my earthhsss!!!!

BigWyo on June 10, 2014 at 9:51 PM