Grimes reneges on promise to stand up to Harry Reid for coal

posted at 2:01 pm on June 10, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Did Alison Lundergan Grimes have “strong words” for Harry Reid over the new EPA rules that will cripple Kentucky’s coal industry? After promising to stand up for Kentucky at a key fundraiser, Grimes instead completely ignored the coal issue at the splashy DC event, according to Politico’s Manu Raju and Burgess Everett. Instead, she promised to promote the Democratic Party agenda:

Alison Lundergan Grimes’ campaign insisted last week that she’d use a high-dollar fundraiser with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid as a forum to promote Kentucky’s coal industry and demand action to protect the use of fossil fuel.

That didn’t happen, according to an audio recording of the 45-minute affair obtained by POLITICO through a source at the event.

Instead, when the Kentucky Democrat spoke at the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill last Thursday, she stuck to a partisan script, railing against Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s record on jobs, the minimum wage and women’s issues.

The one word she didn’t say during her 11-minute speech: “coal.”

“Make no mistake, the hill that we are climbing … it is steep, but I will continue to run circles in my heels around Mitch McConnell,” Grimes told the donors, who paid as much as $2,600 a plate to attend. “It is going to take a nation to help Kentucky rise up to do this, and Alison’s army. And as I look out today, amongst the quality that is here, Leader Reid, I know this is the army that will help to get it done.”

The hometown Herald-Leader took notice of the omission, too:

In an audio recording of the speech obtained by Politico, Grimes instead criticized Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s record on jobs, the minimum wage and women’s issues, prompting McConnell’s campaign to accuse Grimes of misleading Kentucky voters.

“Alison Lundergan Grimes just did exactly what every Kentuckian knew she would — tell them one thing and do another with Harry Reid,” McConnell campaign spokeswoman Allison Moore said. “If there was any question about what she would do as a senator, this tape erased all doubt.”

Grimes later said she raised the objection to Reid in “a private conversation,” but Reid arrived late and left early. They later specified that the conversation took place by phone after the fundraiser was over. Even if that’s the case, what happened to Grimes’ pledge to publicly push back against the Obama administration’s attack on Kentucky’s coal industry?

CNN’s John King was less than impressed with Grimes’ backbone:

Once again, this raises the problem of authenticity for Grimes, which came up in a more comical manner with her ad featuring a European model posed as a Kentucky coal miner. Needless to say, Barack Obama is not a popular figure in Kentucky, and Harry Reid is probably even less well liked. Voters in this midterm election aren’t looking for a rubber stamp for Obama and someone to wrap her arms around “Leader Reid”; they want someone who will stand up to both to protect Kentucky jobs rather than Beltway agendas. That would be a long shot for even the most talented Democratic politicians, to pull off a Joe Manchin-like campaign as a way to win under those circumstances. Clearly, Alison Lundergan Grimes does not possess Manchin-like talent.

Comments

…well we know…she has no ba11s!

KOOLAID2 on June 10, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Ahhh Grimy…people call you Grimy, right. Good.

tdarrington on June 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Oh, Grimey. You’ve already met the fate of your “namesake”.

22044 on June 10, 2014 at 2:06 PM

A vote for a senate Dem is a vote for Harry Reid.

They have no independence.

BuckeyeSam on June 10, 2014 at 2:07 PM

but I will continue to run circles in my heels around Mitch McConnell,

But you should be treated on your merits, right, and not the fact that you’re a woman, content of your character and all that?

Bishop on June 10, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Yep, it’d definitely be way too hard to get this dimwit out of office in 6 years. Better go with the entrenched guy that brings back the pork like ol’ Thad and doesn’t really give a crap about the real problems facing the nation.

Sorry, best case scenario is I’m sitting this one out. I could care less if control of the Senate hinges on this race if Mitch is leading the Senate.

LtBarnwell02 on June 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Ed, I am trying to raise my “I care” meter… sorry, it’s not working.

I find it funny that the McConnell campaign is trying to whip up our sentiments against Grimes.

Pray tell, Grimes or McConnell, who is the greater Reid stooge? McConnell is also doing Reid and Obama’s bidding and he couldn’t care less about the needs of his state provided his Big Business partners are happy.

So why should I care which of them wins in November? In fact, I am rooting for Grimes. At least, there will be one less RINO backstabber to worry about.

TheRightMan on June 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM

She just went to the Mahmoud Abbas School of Communications: tell the little people what they want to hear.

NavyMustang on June 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Filthy, greasy liar, that Grimes woman…

JohnGalt23 on June 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Remember, the NSA knows everything about her that might be useful in breaking her to the saddle. They may have contacted her with that information before the speech,…just so she’d know.

butch on June 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Wow, the democrats are raising armies? What violent rhetoric.

HumpBot Salvation on June 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM

And libtards to elevate Grimey’s heels to hero status ala Wendy Davis sneakers in 4..3..2..

HumpBot Salvation on June 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM

but I will continue to run circles in my heels around Mitch McConnell,

Bishop on June 10, 2014 at 2:11 PM

It’s okay.

Turtle McConnell threatened to run circles in his heels against her.

viking01 on June 10, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Don’t never ever never EVER vote for the demorat, write someone in or ignore that part of the ballot if you don’t cotton to the GOP’er.

Bishop on June 10, 2014 at 2:21 PM

but I will continue to run circles in my heels around Mitch McConnell,

-Feminist hero

“She can try to run against me, but she won’t get far in those heels!” -Dirty, misogynist scumbag republican!!11!!!

tdarrington on June 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM

This is a direct result of the “Tea Party” running a 4th rate back bencher candidate in the Republican Primary. If they had run someone with even a modicum of honesty and integrity I would have changed my voter registration from Independent to Republican so I could have voted.

Two poor choices, one of which will vote with Reid 100% of the time and McConnell who may or may not amount to something if the Republicans take the Senate.

Choices for us here in Kentucky.

Johnnyreb on June 10, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Lundergan Grimes squaw speak with forked tongue… say one thing, do another.

ExpressoBold on June 10, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Breaking

WASHINGTON (AP) — United and eager to respond to a national uproar, the House overwhelmingly approved legislation Tuesday to make it easier for patients enduring long waits for care at Veterans Affairs facilities to get VA-paid treatment from local doctors.

The 421-0 vote was Congress’ strongest response yet to the outcry over backlogs and falsified data at the beleaguered agency. Senate leaders plan debate soon on a similar, broader package that has also drawn bipartisan support, underscoring how politically toxic it could be for lawmakers to be seen as ignoring the problem.

Schadenfreude on June 10, 2014 at 2:30 PM

LtBarnwell02 on June 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM

TheRightMan on June 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM

That’ll show him!

Vince on June 10, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Well y’all voted democrat Kentucky. Just wait this winter when your heating bills skyrocket. You own it now.

jake49 on June 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Whatever.

I’d still not vote for McConnell.

Midas on June 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Here in KY I’m faced with the fact that I must hold my nose and vote for Mitch instead of the witch.

Clink on June 10, 2014 at 2:06 PM

You most certainly do not have to vote for him.

Midas on June 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

jake49 on June 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I believe that’s called a “broad brush”:) Where I live, Northern KY, it is overwhelmingly Conservative.

Clink on June 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Maybe that notion will keep you warm this winter when your heating bills skyrocket.

;)

Midas on June 10, 2014 at 2:37 PM

TheRightMan on June 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Don’t cut your nose off to spite your face. Yeah, it’s a hard choice to make but it’s more important that the Repukes take the Senate from the democRATS just to get rid of Obama’s lackey water boy Reid. Not voting at all just lowers the number of votes a candidate needs to win, DemocRAT or Repuke.

timberline on June 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Glad to see the TruConz are out in force today, with their patented “We Win By Electing Members of the Opposition to Office Strategy.”

And so when Grimes is voting with Obama & Reid on energy policy, abortion rights, SCOTUS nominees, taxation, & against IMPEACHMENT I’m sure she’ll be a “scumhag” & a “Cunning stunt” & I’m sure Schadenfreude will have some colourful invective for her.

AND, she’ll still be casting those votes for the next 6 years… but by golly Mitch McConnell won’t be there….

Because McConnell is JUST like Grimes, or so the TruConz tell me.

JFKY on June 10, 2014 at 2:44 PM

“Vote for the crook… it’s important.”

—–Bumper sticker for Edwin “Fast Eddie” Edwards goobernatorial race vs. David Duke circa 1992

“Vote for the greasy Turtle it’s important.”

——- Slogan for Mitch vs. The Witch race of 2014

viking01 on June 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM

That’ll show him!

Vince on June 10, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Yep, McConnell and his bunch of spineless weasels have been “showing” me for the past few years. Their refusal to stand up to the Obama Admin. while undermining those who want to fight has robbed me and million others of representation.

Now, my desire is to see them thrown out of their seats even if Democrats get to take those seats. At least, conservatives get to start from scratch and fight for those seats without having to face incumbents that are using their ill-gotten gain to “crush” and “punch their opponents in the nose”.

TheRightMan on June 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM

therightman, of course in the mean time:
1) The Democrat becomes the “incumbent” with all the name recognition & fund-raising advantage that comes with;
2) The Democrat votes for more Democratic policies, but at least there’s no CINO, right?

JFKY on June 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Because McConnell is NOT a RINO, he IS a Republican, just not YOUR kind of Republican…. much better to have a full-fledged Democrat in that office… because voting wrongly 100% of the time is preferable to voting wrongly 50% of the time…amirite?

JFKY on June 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Grimes will lose by at least 10 points. Mark it down.

Ta111 on June 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Ed, I am trying to raise my “I care” meter… sorry, it’s not working.

TheRightMan on June 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM
If you are rooting for Grimes you are openly rooting for the destuction of the country which is crazy. I hope you don’t reside in KY.

Ta111 on June 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Her campaign is dead in the water.

Ward Cleaver on June 10, 2014 at 3:06 PM

It takes a particularly inept challenger, such as Grimes, to help Mitch hold onto his seat in spite of his own repelling record. Has he run unopposed he would likely lose to a “Generic Democrat”.

Rix on June 10, 2014 at 3:38 PM

When in Rome DC…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Yet Reid will never bring it to a vote.

BacaDog on June 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Don’t care McConnell has to go!

Jayrae on June 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Good luck with that whole “taking McConnell down” thing with this chump lady as your champion.

thebrokenrattle on June 10, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Grimes will lose by at least 10 points. Mark it down.

Ta111 on June 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I’ve been thinking the same. I don’t like Mitch much, but Grimes is far worse, which I expect KY polls to progressively reflect.

non-nonpartisan on June 10, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Unfortunate to see some people who should know better still think sometimes they can vote for Democrats and remain unscathed. That party has been utterly corrupted and hijacked.

Perspicacious on June 10, 2014 at 5:36 PM

As is typical of Ed’s crappy writing ability, there is no mention of Grimes party affiliation as if we are just supposed to know. I opened a tab and searched to discover she is a democrat. Thanks for nothing, Ed.

earlgrey on June 11, 2014 at 11:51 AM