Biden: The United States is the world’s only non-xenophobic major economy, you know

posted at 8:01 pm on June 10, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

It took me a moment to figure out what Biden was attempting to say here, but I think I have it: In trying to make the argument for moving forward with immigration reform in front of the National Association of Manufacturers, he made the point that America should be actively trying to attract skilled immigrants in order to “keep our edge” in the international industrial scene — but… very, very badly. Birth rates in countries like Germany, Japan, and China have leveled off, he noted, even reaching the point where they are below the population replacement rate. Partially to address this problem, he offered, Japan is trying to keep more women in the workforce — but only because they’re so “xenophobically” averse to welcoming immigrants that they have left themselves with no other option? And we should take advantage of that by enacting immigration reform? I think? That got weird.

Comments

…forget Biden!…stay on the Cantor thread!

KOOLAID2 on June 10, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Where is your home restless wind
Is it there, is it here
Do you search for a place to belong
Search in vain, search in fear
Or is your spirit everywhere
Is your voice every tree
Your soul of the air
If there’s no home is there no death
Is there no death

Tard on June 10, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Well, in his defense, he is stupid.

xNavigator on June 10, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I think you may be over-thinking this Erika. Probably just another indication of hoof-in-mouth disease.

Judge_Dredd on June 10, 2014 at 8:11 PM

OT – obama killed Cantor, with what you now see on Drudge.

Schadenfreude on June 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM

“In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking.”

I think this is what Joe was talking about.

Philly on June 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Xenophobic
definition: unreasonably fearful of or hating anyone or anything foreign or strange.

Biden’s long history of racist comments reveals a bit of xenophobia, no?

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2014 at 8:21 PM

I think this is what Joe was talking about.

Philly on June 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Yes, the very fact that we would allow Indians to make laws on the terms of going into a Dunkin’ Donuts, proves how we’re not xenophobic!

He’s not joking. You can’t go in a DD without an Indian accent–and when they ask you to speak, they’ll even listen hard to see if you’re just faking one.

Axeman on June 10, 2014 at 8:23 PM

OT – obama killed Cantor, with what you now see on Drudge.

Schadenfreude on June 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Oh, someone still looks at Drudge? :/

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Erika writes:

I don’t know if it’s about immigration reform.

This is my take — Biden has bought into the Obama method (and this has probably been Biden’s method even before) of questioning the motives and sentiments of the Other, the Other being those who disagree with him or are so different from him as to not be with him. The Other is bad and hateful (xenophobic), we (those who agree with him and are with him) are good and loving.

It’s not enough for Biden to highlight what is good policy, or even what is good about those who agree with him and who are with him. No, he has to question the Other’s motives and goodness. Not only do we invite high-skilled immigrants into our workforce, but let’s call those who don’t “hateful”, or at least let’s tag them with the base sentiment of being “phobic”, specifically “xenophobic”.

Xenophobic, sexist, racist.

LashRambo on June 10, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I think this is what Joe was talking about.

Philly on June 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM

In the 49 second clip, he did say “no joke”. I take that as a signal to be prepared for some high comedy.

LashRambo on June 10, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Here’s some xenophobia for ya:

Biden, on poor D.C. school performance compared to Iowa:
“There’s less than 1 percent of the population of Iowa that is African American. There is probably less than 4 or 5 percent that is, are minorities. What is it in Washington? So look, it goes back to what you start off with, what you’re dealing with.”

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Well, in his defense, he is stupid.

xNavigator on June 10, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Joe Biden: “I’m an idiot. I’m not kidding. I’m serious. I’m not joking. It’s the truth.”

LashRambo on June 10, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Erika, dear, don’t try to figure a dolt like Biden out. He’ll just drag you down to his IQ-level and beat you with experience.

Bitter Clinger on June 10, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I just dropped a Biden off at the pool, feel a lot better.

Tard on June 10, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Recent papers by Econ Professors indicates that ethnic diversity in a population contributes to economic growth and income growth. Rome, in its heyday, was extremely diverse and this led to increased trade and incomes. The USA, about 1890 to 1990 or so, same thing. Also, innovation and ‘crossbreeding’ of ideas increases. All of that is good.
Almost no developed nation today has a population growth rate that is actually increasing the population rate of growth. All developed nations are trying to attract immigrants – the USA is still the place to live in. Oh and by the way, everyone who moves here has fewer babies than they did back in the old country – that’s why there won’t a Latino wave in the next generation.
Problem is, our politicians also know the middle class will be replaced in two or three generations so they can’t talk about that part of the deal. Chamber of Commerce wants both cheap unskilled labor and top-notch immigrant engineers, accountants, etc. So, those who hold the microphone don’t tell the complete truth.
Uncle Joe is pointing out that we are already a nation of immigrants and can easily handle more. Econ Professors’ papers are read by think tanks, who then try to write speeches for folks like Uncle Joe.

DublOh7 on June 10, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Or you could have children.

Is that the war on women again?

petunia on June 11, 2014 at 12:24 AM

“Non-xenophobic” cashes out a lot like “run by traitors”.

David Blue on June 11, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Now let’s pass some free trade bills.

blammm on June 11, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Thanks to Obama and frump and this administration, xenophobia has been brought out and fed to grow and grow and grow. Biden is a clown and even sometimes entertaining, but on the whole is as empty headed as Obama! Thanks to this administration racism has been recreated for its benefit, not ours. In fact, this admin has created more white supremacists than ever before and that bodes ill for all of America!

Roselle on June 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM