Obama on Bergdahl: “a unanimous decision among my principals in my government

posted at 11:31 am on June 7, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

The President sat down for an outdoor interview with NBC’s Brian Williams during his trip to Normandy this week and, predictably, the subject of the Bergdahl swap came up. After what was essentially a repeat of his previous talking points – many of which have proven to be dubious at best, if not outright lies, even according to Democrats – he summoned up a new way to describe how he decided to not involve the usual, key Congressional players in the process. It comes at around the 50 second mark in the video to follow, but here’s the key quote, which follows his declaration that he’d do it all over again if he had to.

I make no apologies for it. It was a unanimous decision among my principals in my government, and a view that was shared by the Joint Chiefs of Staff. This is something I would do again and will continue to do whenever I have an opportunity.

In case you can’t believe your own lying eyes, here’s the video.

Just for the record, it’s hard to be sure whether the President was saying “principals” as I transcribed above (as in, the key players in his administration) or if he was attempting to say “principles” in a more vague fashion. But given the context, the former seems far more likely. In either event, what was even more striking was the use of my government which caught my eye. It seems to reinforce the idea that – laws be damned – this is his show and he’ll run it as he sees fit.

Having won two elections, I guess it’s Obama’s world now. We’re just living in it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Meow, please tell me you think 0 is a loser. Worst Ever?!?!

Bmore on June 7, 2014 at 10:35 PM

And here, all along, I thought it was our government. I wonder when they edited out the “We the people” part of the preamble.

Wino on June 8, 2014 at 12:29 AM

It’s the people’s government, you self-absorbed Chicago thug.

J.B. Say on June 8, 2014 at 12:53 AM

When someone thinks he run’s the whole government?? What a moron but a narcisstic moron…

sorrowen on June 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Well, Valerie Jarrett told Obama that he could do whatever she wants.

ghostwalker1 on June 8, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Question for the Trools (too many to address individually so a broadcast request):
Please produce documentation on the following claim that Barak Hussein Obama is a PROFESSOR (of anything if you will).
List his academic publications, his peer reviewed publications, his contributions to the field in which he has been awarded the FORMAL title of College Professor.
Second.
Explain the circumstances of King Taliobowmao Putt and his virtuious Queen Butt (a Princton grad as I understand it … and I irritate my cousin’s who are ‘Tigers’ about this)
WHY have Barry and Lobster Pot, SURRENDERED their Licenses to Practice Law in Illinois?
… setting sundial …

Missilengr on June 8, 2014 at 1:18 AM

So…

Because the people that O’BoutMe hired because they would agree with Him agreed with Him, then He is without question right.

“Pathological narcissism”, look it up people! Fear it. For, it appears to be either communal or contagious.

WestTexasBirdDog on June 8, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Probably – inevitably – mentioned above, but this is how prime ministers or anybody else in a parliamentary system refer to things – “the government” or “my government.”

Obama basically doesn’t like the system the Founding Fathers dreamed up, and continues to do his best to subvert it.

Drained Brain on June 8, 2014 at 2:52 AM

Shocker, his ‘yes men’ said yes.

Amongst those he asked, at any rate. And how many was that? Well when you are in the ‘me, myself and I’ range of things you can get to 3 at a very fast rate. One or two head nodding cronies who are loyal to him and not their job, like Rice, and you can get into the mid single digits with just one or two people.

Having a group of ‘yes men’ means you are afraid to hear opposing viewpoints. And that is where Obama is at, having diligently gotten rid of anyone who might say no to him.

ajacksonian on June 8, 2014 at 4:29 AM

WELL, THIS IS INTERESTING: Looks Like Bowe Bergdahl’s
Father Was in Contact With Al Qaeda

Sandbear on June 8, 2014 at 5:32 AM

a view that was shared by the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

“Shared with” is not “offered by” or “held by,” and deserves no special credibility not absolvent of the lousy dangerous decision.

Remember, he also “shared” that same view with the Taliban.
Weasel words are the mainstay of liberal deceit.

Don L on June 8, 2014 at 5:51 AM

I think Jesse Jackson was right, they should cut off Obama’s nuts,there a vestigial appendage anyway.

celtic warrior on June 8, 2014 at 6:01 AM

celtic warrior on June 8, 2014 at 6:01 AM

FYI, “there = They’re”

President Panty-waist has none to cut off! I believe Michelle did that a few years back. As proof, I offer the exercise video circulated this past week.

Boats48 on June 8, 2014 at 6:37 AM

It’s the people’s government, you self-absorbed Chicago thug.

J.B. Say on June 8, 2014 at 12:53 AM

L’état, c’est moi. (I am the state.) – Louis XIV
I am the People! – BHO

Annar on June 8, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Principals really means top cabinet officers and secretaries. It is one of those silly terms invented to make things sound fancy for the workabees and underlings. “We need to get the principals onboard with the decision” In meetings the principals sit at the table and everyone else is a straphanger or backseater.

That the POTUS is using the terminology shows his insecurity and need to sound cool….

Bradky on June 8, 2014 at 6:56 AM

“among my principals in my government” = Jarret, Ploufe, & Podesta. Hacks one and all.

shanimal on June 8, 2014 at 7:48 AM

This surprises…no one.

Actually, Republicans have supported this behavior and should take a long, hard look in the mirror. There is a growing list of offenses Mr. Obama has committed against our constitution and in violation of law. Yet Republicans sit by idly and do nothing- save support the Democrats agenda with their own “lite” version. Oh yes, and of course they are just a “small” part of the government so their voices have been extirpated or something.

The consistent lack of temerity and fortitude is astounding. And it is the main reason why people hate the GOP. They fight for nothing but their own careers.

Yet, now we should be up in arms when the president, where he has the firmest grounding as CiNC, makes an absolutely terrible, dangerous deal that will come back to haunt our country? Why? So I can stand with Democrats up for reelection who need some outrage to hide behind?

No thanks.

Marcus Traianus on June 8, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Obama excuses have evaporated. Time for him to blame the Bergdahl trade idea on a YouTube video and denounce insults to Islam again.

jedifinance on June 8, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Bradky on June 8, 2014 at 6:56 AM

I’d agree. I’d just add that the “My government” bit does make him sound a bit disturbed.

hawkdriver on June 8, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Folks better wake up, and soon. This is dangerous.

The level of lawlessness will just compound.

And our chief law enforcement is holder?

At this point I would be fine with our Military removing this regime by force with extreme prejudice.

wolly4321 on June 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM

- The top levels have likely been mostly “cleansed” by this point.
- Obama and his crew should be (should have been) removed by legal means.
- If the SHTF and this little worm of a man criminally declares himself dictator, there won’t be a safe place on the face of the earth for him, his minions and the spineless enablers who failed to act, to hide.

justltl on June 8, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Me, myself and I. See, I did have a majority among my principles.

geezerintraining on June 8, 2014 at 8:43 AM

What a crap weasel this thug is …

Key West Reader on June 8, 2014 at 8:45 AM

As long as we remain a republic with laws, righteous patriots must remain within the law.
If the government becomes intrinsically lawless, as opposed to just spineless in dealing with a single criminal grifter and his accomplices, then all bets are off.
To rebrand a favorite saying of the left: No justice, no peace.

justltl on June 8, 2014 at 8:51 AM

It’s GOOD to be The King!

GarandFan on June 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM

He could be using “government” in the British sense of the word, meaning “administration.”

Pest on June 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Lil’ Kim in North Korea also has a group of advisors who unanimously agree with him too. I wonder if they also have to sign non-disclosure forms? Will all of them agree that it was unanimous years from now, at a time when the body bags are stacking up from the result of the release of these top terrorist thugs?

Bleed_thelizard on June 8, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Pest on June 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I mentioned that above, and it makes the “Constitutional Law Professor’s” comments that much more disturbing.

A parliamentary system has been described as an “elected dictatorship” with the party holding the majority of seats “forming the government” and passing the legislation which the Official Opposition ritually opposes.

The Founding Fathers were experienced with that system and devised the republican theory of checks and balances with its three distinct branches of government.

Obama continues apace to subvert that process and the Republican Party still doesn’t even muster up the kind of opposition that a party functioning under the parliamentary system would.

Drained Brain on June 8, 2014 at 10:55 AM

If Bergdog declares himself gay, he would go from zero to hero, and all his distractors would be ‘homophobes’. Social justice trumps national security any day.

Bleed_thelizard on June 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM

When you watch how this as played out, you have to wonder, can this President do anything without it being divisive? I swear I’ve never seen a President do so much to divide the country. I guess he feels that divide and conquer is something that should be in place for 8 years.

Had he notified Congress, we’re not sure what would have happened, since this was a bad deal in most people’s eyes, but at least he would have done the right thing. He doesn’t feel the necessity to follow the rules and he’s only going to get worse while the Democrats control the Senate.

bflat879 on June 8, 2014 at 11:35 AM

“It was a unanimous decision among my principals in my government…”

So why would someone who feels this way about government and governing ever leave office voluntarily?

ncjetsfan on June 8, 2014 at 11:35 AM

obama doesn’t have any principles. Everything he does is based on expediency and/or boosting his ego. Period.

mpower on June 8, 2014 at 12:56 PM

You gotta admit the way Boehner and Reid act, it pretty much is his government. They do what he wants, and would never consider checking his power.

txmomof6 on June 8, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I make no apologies for it.

When has that POS ever apologized?

Translation…it was my decision alone and I’m, once again, lying through my teeth!

Translation…I hate America and why would I do anything differently given another opportunity?

cajunpatriot on June 8, 2014 at 4:25 PM

OK Stupid. If it’s your government, then it’s about damn time that you took responsibility for it.

Mr. Grump on June 8, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Obama on Bergdahl: “a unanimous decision among my principals in my government“

Let U.S. make it clear to you it is not your government. We of the U.S. are the government and you were elected as our de facto representative, to represent our desired policies to other nations.

MSGTAS on June 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM