Video: The D-Day interpretive dance

posted at 4:01 pm on June 6, 2014 by Allahpundit

Wish I could embed it for you but C-SPAN doesn’t allow that. Click the image below and it’ll take you to the entire 50-minute (no joke) extravaganza, replete with a tricolor flyover at the end. People on Twitter are rolling their eyes over it and Noah’s downright irritated, writing, “Instead of a solemn and contemplative remembrance of the costs paid in order to leave ensuing generations a free world, viewers were made to witness a display of cleverness.” I don’t mind the cleverness, though; if someone had composed a piece of music for the occasion, that would also have been “clever” but unobjectionable. Art in tribute to sacrifice is as old as time. What’s bugging some, I think, is the fact that they chose choreography as the medium. It’s well intended, but watching soldier-dancers gracefully pretend-fall where they stand on a beach where men were shot to pieces tends to obscure the magnitude of the sacrifice rather than illuminate it. Imagine a ballet about 9/11 that had dancers swan-diving elegantly from a platform into a pool to represent people jumping from the 105th floor onto asphalt. They’re not trying to minimize the horror, but that’s how it turns out. It’s a matter, I think, of choreography being too close to the actions that inspired it to be properly expressive in this case; it ends up seeming like a too-pale, even faintly ridiculous, imitation of what actually happened. (The mock coffins are a bit much, don’t you think?) Music, a more abstract medium, doesn’t have that problem.

Or maybe there’s just a cultural divide between the U.S. and Europe. Face it, Americans have always viewed dance as the most effete of the arts, not an intuitive choice to commemorate the most momentous battle of the 20th century (in the west, at least). On the continent they may view it differently, in which case this is no different from theater or an orchestral work in honor of the occasion. Shrug. Click the image to watch.

dd2

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

We’re doomed

LeftCoastRight on June 6, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I drew the line at Rob Lowe dancing with Snow White.

de rigueur on June 6, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I’m surprised this even got your attention, Allah!

Deano1952 on June 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Have MG-42′s shoot live ammo at them and plant a few thousand S-mines for them to dance over.

Bishop on June 6, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I’m surprised this even got your attention, Allah!

Allahpundit on June 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

If you fast forward..

It will be over quicker…

Electrongod on June 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Honestly, I think they are trying to be respectful in their way.

rob verdi on June 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

any idea who thought to put an epic battle to dance?

DanMan on June 6, 2014 at 4:09 PM

It was almost as bad as the US Commander in Chief smacking gum during the entire ceremony…

d1carter on June 6, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Dear Leader was wanting to do some selfies but no one would talk to him….

d1carter on June 6, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Bishop on June 6, 2014 at 4:06 PM

you wanna dance? dance to my 38!

DanMan on June 6, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Her Majesty the queen looked thrilled!

oldsquid on June 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Did Dieter bring his monkey?

M240H on June 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I visited Normandy and stood on Omaha Beach for a loooooong time just contemplating, specifically Dog Green sector which was the bloodiest sector of the entire beach, I believe it’s also the same landing area depicted in SPR.

It’s amazing that anyone got across the sand alive at low tide much less up the bluffs, Dog Green saw over half the casualties of Omaha just in that one little slice of a very long beach.

Bishop on June 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Sorry, I’m disgusted enough with my Government already, so I’ll pass on this.

I imagine its indicative of everything else we’ve come to expect from this regime. Vapid and inappropriate.

I’m surprised they didn’t have them out there twerkin’ with their waffle tacos hangin’ out.

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM

No, I don’t think I’ll click to watch. The reduction of the sacrifice of thousands of brave men to a few dance moves seems to me to be terribly inappropriate. Effete. Yes, that’s what it is.

yesiamapirate on June 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Exactly how our brave soldiers remember it too, huh?

Jedditelol on June 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Why? People were chatting about it on Twitter, I figured you guys might be interested. Allahpundit on June 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

What’s Twitter?

Akzed on June 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM

…I’m sure Mr. and Mrs. Mooch love it!

KOOLAID2 on June 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM

What’s Twitter?

Akzed on June 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Twitter is where the Obama Administration carries out foreign policy.

de rigueur on June 6, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Stab me in the eyes. For crying out loud, just stab me in the eyes.

nico on June 6, 2014 at 4:17 PM

If I were Obama, I would have to chew a bunch of Nicorette also to get through that.

faraway on June 6, 2014 at 4:18 PM

What’s Twitter?

Akzed on June 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM

#BringBackRespectForOurFallen

Electrongod on June 6, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I hope they didn’t get any sand rashes or sun-burned. That would make D-Day a real tragedy.

BobMbx on June 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM

“Face it, Americans have always viewed dance as the most effete of the arts…”

I always thought it was just gay…

Seven Percent Solution on June 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Honestly, I think they are trying to be respectful in their way.

Absolutely. The intent here is entirely honorable. Just comes off … odd.

Allahpundit on June 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Setting the bar as only HotGas can.

nobar on June 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Lip readers say:

“All this for an invasion?”

BobMbx on June 6, 2014 at 4:20 PM

*picks jaw up off of floor*

I only made it through 5 minutes. That was bizarre. And inappropriate for the occasion on the beach. Perhaps they should have held it in a theater for people to choose to view it instead of part of the official events.

I would watch all 50 minutes if it were only shots of the world leaders’ reactions.

Brat on June 6, 2014 at 4:21 PM

That is just sickening. Tens of thousands of the “greatest generation” Are getting up to 3600 RPM in their graves.

Could you imagine one of those special snowflakes getting out of a landing craft 70 years ago?

Me neither

jukin3 on June 6, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Putin had a bored grin/grimace on his face…Dear Leader was looking around to see if there were any celebrities in attendance.

d1carter on June 6, 2014 at 4:22 PM

The Greatest Generation fought and died to save the Western World from tyranny. We vote our hard-won freedoms away, deny them healthcare and offer this crap as an homage.

We are unworthy to untie their bootlaces.

ROCnPhilly on June 6, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Bishop on June 6, 2014 at 4:06 PM

You forgot the greatest of them all, an A-10 strafing run.

RickB on June 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM

A symphony or painting or film, sure, but dancing around? On the same beach where men were literally ripped to pieces?

First of all, dancing should be a licensed activity issued under the strict oversight of the most serious people.

And second of all, no dance license if you’re gay. That would clean up the whole dance thing for most people, I think, but regardless, no dance remembrances of ungodly horrible carnage please, least of all on the same very plot of ground. Thank you.

Akzed on June 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM

i doubt the Germans would have put up with this back in the day. We won the war but lost the culture.

rbj on June 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Just wait until the NFL starts playing football this way. The Washington Redskirts will be even more popular.

Flange on June 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM

My god couldnt they at least learned how to march as a group. Looked like a bus just unloaded.

faol on June 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Honestly, I think they are trying to be respectful in their way.

Absolutely. The intent here is entirely honorable. Just comes off … odd.

Allahpundit on June 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Well, that’s a polite way to put it. They’d have done better just to have sat and watched this. Or just to do what Bishop did (4:13 PM).

Broadway on the beach never works.

de rigueur on June 6, 2014 at 4:26 PM

At least when Billy Jeff knew there were cameras he printed to get weepy after laughing it up beforehand.

Another Obama legacy: Making the guy that got a blow job from an intern in the Oval Office look respectful.

jukin3 on June 6, 2014 at 4:26 PM

My G-d! That dance number was friggin retarded. I thought I coulsn’t be more offended by dance after that pathetic display of socialist nurses dancing on the hospital beds they throw patients out of for the London olympics (now that whole performance was just insane) … but this is whole level worse. Europeans are just idiots. Barky belongs with them. He shouldn’t be allowed back here.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 6, 2014 at 4:27 PM

You forgot the greatest of them all, an A-10 strafing run.
RickB on June 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM

The GAU-8 Avenger is not a contemporaneous piece. That would totally ruin the whole thing.

Akzed on June 6, 2014 at 4:27 PM

printed S/B pretended…swipe and no proofreading.

jukin3 on June 6, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Akzed on June 6, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Now a P-47 Thunderbolt….

jukin3 on June 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Me neither

jukin3 on June 6, 2014 at 4:21 PM

jukin3 on June 6, 2014 at 4:26 PM

2 for 2.

nico on June 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Honestly, I think they are trying to be respectful in their way.

rob verdi on June 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

No, they weren’t. Not in the least.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 6, 2014 at 4:30 PM

I’m sure the brain trust in the White House has already booked this bunch for this year’s 9/11 ceremony in New York. Curious how will they portray the victims that jumped to their deaths to avoid the fire.

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 4:30 PM

I don’t know, I was on the edge of my seat. Anyway, who won?

geesoy on June 6, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Now a P-47 Thunderbolt….
jukin3 on June 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Yeah baby, the original A-10 Thunderbolt! Eight .50′s, Now yer talkin.

Akzed on June 6, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I think you’re missing the target.

Americans have always viewed dance as the most effete of the arts

^ Americans have always viewed dance as the most self-absorbed, self-serving non-art art. Because it is. It isn’t that, say, ballet doesn’t exist, it’s that ballet is a little shiny star in a massive pile of poop. I think Noah uses “cleverness” there attempting to point to the selfishness of the spectacle. It’s more “look at me” than anything else, from “I’ll pretent to be a tree filled with angst now” all the way back to the original choice for using this for what you are calling an artistic medium.

I wonder also how American the vague disdain for this kind of nonsense really is.

– And music is different. All other “art” is different. Just because it would have been appropriate to compose something and perform it for this occasion, just because something else artistic would have been approprate, doesn’t mean this is. This is ridiculous, and, as Noah described it, belittling. I would add vaguely embarassing.

Axe on June 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Click the image to watch.

I’ll pass.

Bitter Clinger on June 6, 2014 at 4:35 PM

The jarring thing here is that D-Day was an extremely violent, extremely necessary tragedy. There is zero room for an artsy fartsy interpretation of what happened. It can be expressed in many artistic forms, but not this one. Who, exactly, thought this was a good idea? Are they connected to the Obama de-ministration?

RockinRickOwen on June 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM

I don’t see anything wrong with using dance for this day, but the video isn’t loading for me, so I can’t comment on the choreograpy or execution. Hopefully it’s respectful.

DisneyFan on June 6, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Barky belongs with them. He shouldn’t be allowed back here.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 6, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Trade him for the dancers. Lose-Lose, instead of Lend-Lease.

spiritof61 on June 6, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Remember Mel Brook’s History of the World Part I with the Hitler on Ice show at the end?

Yea, it just like that. A f@#$ joke. I wonder how many vets there, so old that they’ll probably never make it back to France again, are glad their compatriots that have already passed away, didn’t have to suffer through this spectacle.

SPCOlympics on June 6, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Face it, Americans have always viewed dance as the most effete of the arts,

also, we dance with joy,
we don’t dance with sorrow .

burrata on June 6, 2014 at 4:39 PM

When does Auschwitz, The Musical hit Broadway?

nico on June 6, 2014 at 4:39 PM

The first 10 minutes of Saving Private Ryan is the reality of D-Day. Got mixed emotions on this one.

Rovin on June 6, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Click the image to watch.

Make me.

Akzed on June 6, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I am embarrassed for them.

WWPD? [What Would Patton Do?]

ROCnPhilly on June 6, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Where is Leonard Pinth-Garnell when you need him?

Ricard on June 6, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Face it, Americans have always viewed dance as the most effete of the arts…

It’s like, the soccer of art.

Looks hard, I’m sure they’re talented, change the channel.

Akzed on June 6, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Of all the missteps made by the Obama administration in the swap of five high-ranking Taliban officials (including two wanted by the UN for mass murders) for Bowe Bergdahl, the two worst were ignoring the law requiring Congressional notification … and sending Susan Rice to a Sunday talk show.

Kinda like the First Lady holding up a sign saying “#BringBackOurGirls” on Instagram seems to trivialize the human trafficking of Christian teenage girls.

Although that particular instance wouldn’t have trivialized it quite as much if not for the cartoon-sad face she put on for the picture.

Anyway, a cutesy response to a serious issue is never well received.

There Goes the Neighborhood on June 6, 2014 at 4:43 PM

RockinRickOwen on June 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM

You already know the answer to this question.

See you at the Hiroshima/Nagasaki Gala next year.

spiritof61 on June 6, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Did Obama and his handlers try to convince the attendees that the Germans served with “honor and distinction” that day long ago?

It’s supposed to be a solemn memorial to remember those that died there. Dance of any kind has no place there. Save it for the after, after party.

“Par for the course” for this regime though. Cheap, inappropriate and vapid.

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM

What’s bugging people is that is is stupid and disrespectful. It’s also ghey! ghey! ghey! which obviously appeals to HA.

Blake on June 6, 2014 at 4:45 PM

First, Obama blocks vets out of parks and monuments.

Then, he murders them at the VA.

Then, for the ones that are still alive, he makes them watch dancing on other mens’ graves?

faraway on June 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Obama was there to secure the release of one of the women in gray. Gave up KSM and the blind Sheikh; but she’s free now.

BKeyser on June 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM

WWPD? [What Would Patton Do?] ROCnPhilly on June 6, 2014 at 4:40 PM

On D-Day he as commanding a fake army across from the Pas-de-Calais.

When he crossed the Rhine he told his driver to stop in the middle of the bridge so he could p!ss in the river.

Akzed on June 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM

WWPD? [What Would Patton Do?]

ROCnPhilly on June 6, 2014 at 4:40 PM

70th Anniversary of D-Day: SoRo Channels Patton And Churchill

Axe on June 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Did Obama hook up with that chick from Denmark?

Mark1971 on June 6, 2014 at 4:48 PM

The video is not loading.
Anyhow, if it is about some males dancing on their toes to some tinkling music.
lemme imagine duct tape and tutus on skinny men and throw up the tamales I just had for lunch.

burrata on June 6, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Blake on June 6, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I was going to raise that point as well, but didn’t want to lose my livelihood and be stoned to death in the street.

But now that you’ve opened that can, does everything have to be ghey with this Regime? I mean first it was Obama limp-wristing the first pitch at a baseball game. What a disgrace that was! Then just yesterday it was Obama “working-out”, and now this.

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Down Twinkles.

faraway on June 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Then just yesterday it was Obama “working-out”,

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Now, that was funny. I liked the faces he made while he was doing (cheating) flies with less weight than a 3rd grade girl would use. I mean, you really had to laugh at that.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM

“These are the ballerinas of Pointe du Hoc… “

de rigueur on June 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM

In this case, don’t you mean this:

Setting the bar as only HotGasGay can.

nobar on June 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM

reddevil on June 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Now’s the time on sprockets when we dance.

geesoy on June 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I think I have to agree with Slim Pickens’ review on this.

whatcat on June 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM

So when does Pearl Harbor the Musical hit Broadway ?

burrata on June 6, 2014 at 5:00 PM

This reminds me of the famous quote

Give me liberty, or give me dance.

faraway on June 6, 2014 at 5:00 PM

So when does Pearl Harbor the Musical hit Broadway ?

burrata on June 6, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Raising Arizona is already out.

faraway on June 6, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I think I have to agree with Slim Pickens’ review on this.

whatcat on June 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I was not aware that Kansas City had a history of that.

reddevil on June 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM

70th Anniversary of D-Day: SoRo Channels Patton And Churchill

Axe on June 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM

So right!

ROCnPhilly on June 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

RockinRickOwen on June 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM

This one.
And Yes.

burrata on June 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

How about a statue instead?

whatcat on June 6, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Waffle Tacos??!? I snorted so hard I think I sprained my uvula!

Cliff by the Ford on June 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM

If you think this is exciting wait until the 75th Anniversary when France surrenders to Germany again.

RickB on June 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I was not aware that Kansas City had a history of that.

reddevil on June 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Not that there’s anything wrong with Kansas City.

whatcat on June 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM

jukin3 on June 6, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Ya – he at least pretended to be all solemn and teary eyed for his staged solo walk on the beach to find a few pre-positioned stones to form into a cross in the sand, with a US Navy ship perfectly positioned in the background.
If nothing else, Bubba was a better actor at pretending to respect the military than King Putt.

dentarthurdent on June 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM

RickB on June 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I heard Hollande may have tried to surrender to Merkel when the fireworks went off…

dentarthurdent on June 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Life imitates Monty Python.

Mike Honcho on June 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Waffle Tacos??!? I snorted so hard I think I sprained my uvula!

Cliff by the Ford on June 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM

HAHA, sorry I couldn’t resist. If you haven’t seen the commercial I’m referencing here you go. :) Don’t say I never gave you nuthin’.

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I bounced through the entire thing. The first almost 30 minutes is a recap of the entire WWII without much focus on D-day itself. Then there was about 5 minutes of memorializing with a somber military band and vets in the crowd. Should have ended there.

But no, then there is a whole bunch of lefty BS about the wonders of the UN and unification of Europe and how there haven’t been any more wars because the UN is so wonderful or something. Then a few more minutes of actual vets and military flyovers.

Yeah, I don’t think any of it was intended to be disrespectful by any means. It just went on too long, failed to actually focus on D-Day itself and had a bunch of BS towards the end. But then its put on by the French. The average modern Frenchy watching probably thought the whole thing was far right-wing propaganda.

My favorite part was around 4-4:15 when Nazi collaborators were mentioned, just because, you know, Vichy! =P

deepdiver on June 6, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Civil War reenactments I can understand.

This crap?

This is what happens when the pussification of liberalism has taken over.

What a disgrace.

Just watch the Reagan commemoration speech.

portlandon on June 6, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Seriously, I couldn’t click this. My great uncle was a combat engineer at Normandy. His outfit landed in the second wave I think. They couldn’t run for cover. They had to blow obstacles. His unit suffered over 50% casualties. Think of the guy in SPR, who told Tom Hanks “you can’t stay here!” , when they were taking cover behind the steel obstacle designed to rip landing boat bottoms out. The engineers had to stay on the beach under fire. Dance me that.

Cliff by the Ford on June 6, 2014 at 5:18 PM

That was ridiculous.

Bringing in the Batley Townswomans Guild would have been more appropriate.

reaganaut on June 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM

It just went on too long,
deepdiver on June 6, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Maybe that was intentional – as a reference to “the longest day”….

dentarthurdent on June 6, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Just watch the Reagan commemoration speech.

portlandon on June 6, 2014 at 5:17 PM

That one is speech for the ages….compare it to Dear Leader’s this morning.

d1carter on June 6, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I couldn’t get the first link to work. Here is another if you need it.

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 5:21 PM