Video: The D-Day interpretive dance

posted at 4:01 pm on June 6, 2014 by Allahpundit

Wish I could embed it for you but C-SPAN doesn’t allow that. Click the image below and it’ll take you to the entire 50-minute (no joke) extravaganza, replete with a tricolor flyover at the end. People on Twitter are rolling their eyes over it and Noah’s downright irritated, writing, “Instead of a solemn and contemplative remembrance of the costs paid in order to leave ensuing generations a free world, viewers were made to witness a display of cleverness.” I don’t mind the cleverness, though; if someone had composed a piece of music for the occasion, that would also have been “clever” but unobjectionable. Art in tribute to sacrifice is as old as time. What’s bugging some, I think, is the fact that they chose choreography as the medium. It’s well intended, but watching soldier-dancers gracefully pretend-fall where they stand on a beach where men were shot to pieces tends to obscure the magnitude of the sacrifice rather than illuminate it. Imagine a ballet about 9/11 that had dancers swan-diving elegantly from a platform into a pool to represent people jumping from the 105th floor onto asphalt. They’re not trying to minimize the horror, but that’s how it turns out. It’s a matter, I think, of choreography being too close to the actions that inspired it to be properly expressive in this case; it ends up seeming like a too-pale, even faintly ridiculous, imitation of what actually happened. (The mock coffins are a bit much, don’t you think?) Music, a more abstract medium, doesn’t have that problem.

Or maybe there’s just a cultural divide between the U.S. and Europe. Face it, Americans have always viewed dance as the most effete of the arts, not an intuitive choice to commemorate the most momentous battle of the 20th century (in the west, at least). On the continent they may view it differently, in which case this is no different from theater or an orchestral work in honor of the occasion. Shrug. Click the image to watch.

dd2

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ballet, accompanied by Presidential gum chewing. What a disgrace

kingsjester on June 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I was not aware that Kansas City had a history of that.

reddevil on June 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Now we know where the ballerina Bergy Boy will be living out his retirement !

burrata on June 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM

What can you say? It’s the French.

As NATO falls apart, they are having artistic fun and preparing to surrender to Germany…again.

PattyJ on June 6, 2014 at 5:24 PM

OMG, WTF was that…

jimver on June 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM

preparing to surrender to Germany…again.

PattyJ on June 6, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Well – it’s what they do…

dentarthurdent on June 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM

So the British D-Day veteran who broke out of the rest home to get there got to see a dance. Right.

CW20 on June 6, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Ballet, accompanied by Presidential gum chewing. What a disgrace

kingsjester on June 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM

He HAD to chew gum, you don’t even know what had been in that nouth ;-)

burrata on June 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM

CW20 on June 6, 2014 at 5:27 PM

OTOH – probably not as bad as what he witnessed the first time he was there….

dentarthurdent on June 6, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Somehow, I never imagined D-Day being quite that gay and ridiculous.

Pork-Chop on June 6, 2014 at 5:29 PM

He HAD to chew gum, you don’t even know what had been in that nouth ;-)

burrata on June 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Hmmmm – his private meeting with Putin?

dentarthurdent on June 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Ballet, accompanied by Presidential gum chewing. What a disgrace

kingsjester on June 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM

He HAD to chew gum, you don’t even know what had been in that mouth ;-)

burrata on June 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Hmmmm – his private meeting with Putin?

dentarthurdent on June 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM

The other mouth !
the one which can’t chew gum
;-)

burrata on June 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM

It’s like a train wreck.
I just could not look away.
What have we become?

You could practically see the thought bubble above Putin’s head “I can’t believe we lost the Cold War to these guys!”

He will order his tanks to take the rest of Ukraine the moment he gets home.

Haiku Guy on June 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM

“Excuse me….we’re you playing the part of a bird during the third act?”

“No…I was interpreting an artillery shell”

BobMbx on June 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Somehow, the American, British, and Canadian soldiers who invaded Normandy on D-day didn’t feel like dancing.

If they wanted a re-enactment, why not have hundreds of soldiers wade out of the English Channel in uniform with backpacks and rifles, some others trying to scale the cliffs with grappling hooks, and have guys in Nazi uniforms shooting blanks from the top of the cliffs, and have half the invaders fall down and play dead. THAT would be more realistic!!!

Steve Z on June 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I like at the end where they were all clapping through the bit on the Holocaust. You can’t make this stuff up.

Haiku Guy on June 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM

portlandon on June 6, 2014 at 5:17 PM

; )

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Dear Leader was wanting to do some selfies but no one would talk to him….

d1carter on June 6, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I betcha the Queen woulda snuggled up to him!

NavyMustang on June 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM

HAHA, sorry I couldn’t resist. If you haven’t seen the commercial I’m referencing here you go. :) Don’t say I never gave you nuthin’.

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Thanks! You gave me 2 good laughs today.

Cliff by the Ford on June 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Saw the Preezy chewing his gum… was expecting him to break out his cell phone and take a selfie.

What a dork.

Hill60 on June 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM

So ladies and ladies, how’d y’all like the premiere of
Brokeback Normandy ?

burrata on June 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM

The best part, if you can stomach getting to it, is the look on Queen Elizabeths’ face. You know she’s thinking that she’d rather be marooned with Diana for an eternity than sit through another minute of that.

Its almost as if her gaze is on the horizon, looking for her home.

“Its over there somewhere….I wish I was home….Charles, make them take me home…”

BobMbx on June 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Did you notice that Danish PM Helle Thorning-Schmidt was sitting right behind Obama? Selfie Time!

Haiku Guy on June 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Steve Z on June 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM

You should watch the re-enactments of Gettysburg, Manassas, and Chancellorsville. Ain’t no interpretive dancing there.

BobMbx on June 6, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Putin – Great I can move up the invasion schedule by two years.

Oil Can on June 6, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Sack Ray Blue

Wallythedog on June 6, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Its almost as if her gaze is on the horizon, looking for her home.

“Its over there somewhere….I wish I was home….Charles, make them take me home…”

BobMbx on June 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I wonder what gift she got from Hussein this time ?

burrata on June 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Are you kidding me? I bet Obama stopped the gum chewing and the blackberry and paid rapt attention. Is it any wonder our enemies are not afraid of the West?

warmairfan on June 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I wonder what gift she got from Hussein this time ?

burrata on June 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM

The Gift of his enlighten presence.

Oil Can on June 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Here’s some actual dancing from 1940: http://youtu.be/TSwDEp-XFGw

Seth Halpern on June 6, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I have made it to the 13:00 mark The Queen shows no indication what so ever at seeing her younger self. Though to be sure she sees. She is if nothing, Stately and serious. Putin seems to be tolerating it. Having removed his sunglasses, revealed, his beady little eyes. 0 continues chewing.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Thanks, everybody. I haven’t laughed so uncontrollably in months. After watching the show, I needed the catharsis.

mkenorthshore on June 6, 2014 at 6:17 PM

51:14 0 pauses his chewing.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Sorry, should have read 17:12, However 0 resumes chewing promptly at 17:30. The queen remains Stately.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 6:24 PM

You all that have actually watched this display, are better than I am. I refuse. Plus, my opinion of this Regime can’t get any lower anyway.

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 6:25 PM

The Associated Press @AP · 1m
VIDEO: Lady Liberty showered with one million rose petals for D-Day: http://apne.ws/1oAU8YK

canopfor on June 6, 2014 at 6:26 PM

It’s because modern interpretive dance is so profoundly unserious. It would be the same if that Friday girl had done a song about D-Day along the lines of her first song. Or if someone painted a bunch of bichon frises running on the beach onto a velvet canvas. These are profoundly unserious things*, whereas D-Day was a profoundly serious moment.

It’s not even the fact it was dance. Can you imagine if a bunch of Zulu warriors had done a dance to commemorate it? That would probably be awe-inspiring, instead of insipid. Because you would know that they were taking it seriously.

* Don’t misunderstand – the folks who put it together think it was very serious, indeed. They all think their art is the most profound thing in the world. Which is yet one more argument for Natural Law – because the rest of us can see through their self-importance.

GWB on June 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Hopey is wearing his Kick-*ss facial expression:

Obama Honors WWII, 9/11 Generations at Normandy
***********************************************

canopfor on June 6, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Not as bad as I was expecting, but I could only get into the first 5 minutes…

EvilMonk on June 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

At the 25:00 mark 0 seems to feel obliged to applaud. The Queen remains Stately.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

The bagpipe is a nice touch. The part from around the 20:00 mark until the bagpipe is good as well. Of course keep in mind, I love Opera and bagpipes.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM

26:31 finds 0 still chewing.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM

at the 25:01 mark the Queen destroys her Ipod

MrMoe on June 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM

in a stately way of course

MrMoe on June 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM

31:00 Split screen Putin, 0.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 6:51 PM

31:45 finds Fräulein Merkel enjoying a bit of a cat nap.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM

MrMoe on June 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Lolz! ; )

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM

32:00 Big Band Babies! The war is over!

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM

33:00 The Queen remains Stately. Big Band Music be damned!

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

RuRoh 33:37 Nukes dropped. 0 is caught applauding. Still chewing.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

34:00 Turns gravely serious until the faces of the Men who survived are flashed upon the jumbo trons. Applause ensues and rightfully so.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 7:09 PM

40:45 Rossini Madama Butterfly Coro a bocca chiusa (“Humming Chorus”) I believe. One of my personal favs.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM

This has got to convince Germany that they should make a second go at taking France.

ReaganWasRight on June 6, 2014 at 7:33 PM

45:00 Children come to gather up the survivors and escort them out onto the stage. Once enemies now at peace with one another.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM

It’d have been better if they’d left out the dancers and kept just the video, which actually wasn’t too bad.

ReaganWasRight on June 6, 2014 at 7:35 PM

47:00 Finds 0 applauding and of course….chewing. I believe Handel is playing in the background throughout this portion.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM

The survivors look quite happy. This the most important aspect.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Jet fly in formation. Fireworks and pyrotechnic galore.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM

On balance, well worth watching actually. Though the dance does seem a wee bit awkward. I think for what they were attempting to do it comes off okay as a whole. Only a few tech glitches. A very big stage to fill. And yes………..0 still chewing. *sigh*

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Noah Rothman ‏@NoahCRothman 1h

ICYMI: D-Day Interpretive Dance Caps Off Month of Disrespect for Vets (VIDEO) http://bit.ly/1p2TTsZ

Noah remains unimpressed. Lolz!

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Was Bergdahl in it?

Schadenfreude on June 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM

$10 says O chews Chicklets

BobMbx on June 6, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Bmore’s
Thanks for ‘tweeting’ the highlights and the lowlights. Maybe I’ll try again to watch all of it, if just to see Queen Elizabeth. Stately indeed. She looked great in that green ensemble.

Brat on June 6, 2014 at 8:21 PM

$10 says O chews Chicklets

BobMbx on June 6, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I think he’s more into Dudelets.

Pork-Chop on June 6, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Bwaaaahhaaahaaaahaaaa

Barry had to sit there for all fifty minutes! Boy, I bet he was pissed! He could have been having some stimulating intellectual conversation with some celebrities somewhere. As it was, the event apparently exceeded his normal public exposure limit so thus the chewing away on what was probably Nicorette gum to cover the hankering for a smoke.

And, for the record, I didn’t watch all 50 minutes. I skipped through about the first 2/3′s which was enough to see the Prez (o lucky me) several times.

parke on June 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Someone needs their ass handed to them on a platter!

GarandFan on June 6, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I only watched the beginning of the video, and forwarded to a couple other spots to see if it was just as bad.

I must say, I can’t quite fault Obama for chewing gum there, but he should have brought enough for everyone.

Pretty sad that these dancers can’t even march in step.

malclave on June 6, 2014 at 9:20 PM

What the left likes to sell is that there is a leftist technocracy or meritocracy. Nothing could be farther from the truth. We have an idioracy led by the insane concept of white guilt and affirmative actions. The seeds were sown, now we reap the rewards.

Enlighten western world, RIP. It was very good while it lasted.

jukin3 on June 6, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Oh that was dreadful. Had to avert my eyes. Then the gum chewer is heard telling Hollande that the program was wonderful.
Ugh………
The films were outstanding, the mimes, not so much.

Lee Jan on June 7, 2014 at 7:41 AM

This dancing and fireworks was absolutely bullshite. It’s not suppose to be a celebration. Jeesh!

Blake on June 7, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Putin had a bored grin/grimace on his face…Dear Leader was looking around to see if there were any celebrities in attendance.

d1carter on June 6, 2014 at 4:22 PM

To me, Putin had a look that said, “I can’t believe we lost the Cold War to these guys.”

BuckeyeSam on June 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I drew the line at Rob Lowe dancing with Snow White.

de rigueur on June 6, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Did Dieter bring his monkey?

M240H on June 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Something for both of you. I’m convinced the choreographer ripped of one of those Dieter of Sprockets skits. I confess, it was one of my favorite skits.

BuckeyeSam on June 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM

I hope to God they didn’t do this in front of Putin.

Can you see the Russians doing this craptabulous bullsh*t at a Victory Day Parade?

victor82 on June 7, 2014 at 11:34 AM

BTW, instead of the guys from the 116th Stonewall Regiment getting all cut up at Omaha, couldn’t we have sent these flipping mimes and dancers in the First Wave?

A LOT of cultural problems would have been solved by sending the mimes up against the Wehrmacht on D-Day, IMHO.

God knows what Putin was thinking as he sat through that hot mess. Than God the Chinese weren’t there.

victor82 on June 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM

BTW, the Germans should march through Paris again just on general principle. This was awful.

victor82 on June 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Geez, I could only watch a few minutes of that before turning it off in disgust. What incredibly poor taste. Effete-looking men dancing and twirling around in front of screens showing people being tied to posts and executed, goose-stepping Nazis, and Jews being forced onto trains. Vile.

AZCoyote on June 7, 2014 at 12:06 PM

So bad, that this same group should be forced to reenact Operation Catapult and have it broadcast on French TV.

Wallythedog on June 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Compare this to the solemnity with which the Russians commemorate what they call “the Great Patriot War” (WWII) and it is easy to see the willful debasement of Western culture being imposed by our scumbag so-called leadership class.

Mason on June 7, 2014 at 12:38 PM