70 years ago, free men stood against evil – and evil failed

posted at 8:01 am on June 6, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

There is little to say or write about D-Day that hasn’t already been expressed over the past seventy years by those more eloquent than me, or especially by those who took part in the greatest invasion in human history, and for the noblest purpose. Some events challenge not just the imagination, but even language itself. Seventy years ago, the assault on the beaches of Normandy by the free men of the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and units from the countries occupied by the Nazi horror remains perhaps the most stunning act of determination and defiance in history, as 160,000 men stormed Fortress Europe and sent evil reeling — thousands of whom would die that day for freedom.

General Dwight David Eisenhower sent them to Normandy with this message:

The US Army has this remembrance from the men who lived to tell the stories of D-Day and its triumph over tyranny:

Not too many of these men are with us today. We have lost many to time, and only a handful are on hand to recall for us the bravery, horror, and need of that day, and the price we must pay for our continued blessings of freedom. Wisconsin’s WBAY interviewed Bob Reeners, who had not quite reached his 20th birthday on D-Day, recalls the horror of that day and the memories of those who died to overcome the massive tyranny that had enslaved a continent:

WBAY

“There was an invasion fleet. It looked like you could have walked all the way back to England and never gotten wet. There also was a black cloud approaching from England, and as it got closer it wasn’t a cloud at all; it was aircraft of all kinds, hundreds of them,” recalls Reeners.

Within seconds of reaching shore, Reeners says the beach erupted in gunfire and explosions from U.S. planes overhead and German troops on land.

“I don’t know how the hell anything withstood the bombardment that beach took. It was shelled. It was bombed.
Reeners’s crew spent the day stocking the beach with ammo and equipment.

At one point, a lone German fighter plane zeroed in.

“There we were, naked as a jay bird, strafing the beach, no cover. You hit the sand and you hear those damn bullets just pounding all around you. When it’s all over you, you can’t believe it,” says Reeners. …

More than 9,000 Americans were killed or wounded.

With tears in his eyes, Reeners says, “As a survivor you think of all those men, cut down in the prime of their life. It tears my heart out, here I am 90 years old almost, living a rich full life, these men were denied that, they fought and lost, everything.”

They certainly gave everything they had — so that we might live free, and not just in Europe but in America as well. Many of them gave their lives for a freedom to which they knew they might never return, but those men gave us that precious gift. May we remember them, and the men who survived and kept fighting and then returned home to build their lives and families too. We owe them a debt that can only barely be imagined, but can be repaid with constant vigilance and dedication to the cause for which they fought.

Freedom.

Update: Because it’s always worth watching, here is Ronald Reagan’s address at Normandy 30 years ago:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

God Bless the USA

cmsinaz on June 6, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Thank you to all that contributed.

Flange on June 6, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Somebody on Fox this morning said his father or grandfather was clearing mines or something. I’m sorry I miss details because I’m always doing something else at the same time. Anyway he said when they started back they met the invasion coming the other way. What a scene that must have been. Thousands of ships.

crankyoldlady on June 6, 2014 at 8:11 AM

I always carry a lump in my throat on D-Day.

djl130 on June 6, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Here’s to Absent Companions!

No story of D-Day is complete without telling of the speech Eisenhower didn’t give:

‘Our landings in the Cherbourg-Haver area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops.
‘My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available.
‘The troops, the air, and the navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt, it is mine alone.’

June 5, 1944

The Operation clearly wasn’t a slam dunk in his mind and Evil could have won…

the drill sgt on June 6, 2014 at 8:12 AM

June 5, 1944

The Operation clearly wasn’t a slam dunk in his mind and Evil could have won…

the drill sgt on June 6, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I’ve seen that before. He would have taken the blame. He wouldn’t have blamed someone else like Obungle does. That’s what leadership looks like.

crankyoldlady on June 6, 2014 at 8:16 AM

They really were the greatest generation. It’s hard to believe the courage it took to do that.

Nineball on June 6, 2014 at 8:17 AM

One of the most important days in world history. Thank you doesn’t seem like enough for what they did.

I listened to Reagan’s speech last night. One of his all time best.

gophergirl on June 6, 2014 at 8:17 AM

That’s what leadership looks like.

Exactly!

the drill sgt on June 6, 2014 at 8:19 AM

But, evil is winning here and now and in our own country.

Quartermaster on June 6, 2014 at 8:19 AM

When I was in high school I did WWII project that involved interviewing three veterans and showing the tape to my classmates. Those stories stayed with me for the rest of my life.

-A man who was in the water for 6 hours after his boat was sunk by German submariners…BEFORE the US had declared war

-A man who was on the Italian borders and wound up having a face to face encounter with Mussolini’s daughter

-A man who had to watch the kamikaze run of Japanese soldiers with his own eyes.

All dedicated to the memory of my GreatUncle who fought with Butch O’Hare, survived the sinking of USS Lexington and was killed in the battle of Soloman Isles never to be found.

These are just a few tales of heroes whose names are not memorialized on stone, with statues or parades, ones who presidents do not know by name and never will. For these men, war wasn’t something that they could ignore, evil was not something people turned their back on. They dedicated their lives to fight for a cause many considered lost…but they didn’t.

Remember them…for this president, the media and congress never will…

NerwenAldarion on June 6, 2014 at 8:20 AM

My dear old dad was on Normandy that day.He said they called it Red Beach.

docflash on June 6, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Ever since I was a Kid, and first saw that clip of Ike
talking to the troops, and the guy there with the blackened
face….as a Kid….let’s just say it hit home with me…

Someone can spend a month of Sundays trying to convince me
of other things….

THAT IS WHAT THIS NATION STANDS FOR.

ToddPA on June 6, 2014 at 8:24 AM

70 years ago, free men stood against evil – and evil failed

And our Beloved Leader Barack Obama is working overtime to see to it that it never happens again

clippermiami on June 6, 2014 at 8:26 AM

My dad was there, but a week later.
His job was to collect dog tags from the dead.
Did not discuss it with me until I was 30.

Tard on June 6, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Remember them…for this president, the media and congress never will…

NerwenAldarion on June 6, 2014 at 8:20 AM

+100

BacaDog on June 6, 2014 at 8:29 AM

My dad was in the Army Air Force and in England then but he wasn’t in the infantry. He kept the planes flying. My mom and I lived with her parents, she worked the switchboard at the company town’s commissary and they had a community garden. I was too young to know much but later learned there was gas and food rationing, oh and no nylons for the ladies. She lost a cousin over the channel and another would win a gold medal. Could we even begin to defend ourselves by sacrificing so much at home again? I like to think we haven’t been moved so far from who we are that we wouldn’t.

Kissmygrits on June 6, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Thank you, and God bless.

NotCoach on June 6, 2014 at 8:31 AM

The stark contrast between then and now with a president openly aiding and abetting true evil in the world wherever he can find it and prop it up is almost too much to contemplate.

Caseoftheblues on June 6, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Pfc. James Edward Patrick, 83rd, 331st Infantry, Co. C. KIA August 14, 1944 St. Malo, France.

BacaDog on June 6, 2014 at 8:31 AM

God bless the memory and families of all of those brave men.

Including mine.

For my Daddy…

kingsjester on June 6, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I am named after my fathers best friend who was heavily honored for the Normandy invasion…but that was just the beginning.

Those men continued to battle for months, non-stop. Sleeping wherever they could, it was relentless.

When my father’s friend came home, after the surrender, he slept on the floor with a 45 in his hand for months…they were the closest of friends and my dad said that he was never the same person after he came back. Not better, not worse, just so much different.

They gave so much for us to have so much…

right2bright on June 6, 2014 at 8:37 AM

My dad was there, but a week later.
His job was to collect dog tags from the dead.
Did not discuss it with me until I was 30.

Tard on June 6, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Dear Lord. I am surprised he was able to discuss it all.

My Grandpa served in the Pacific. He never spoke about the war to anybody until I had a report about WWII and had to interview him. He talked for about 2 hours around the dining room table and that is the quietest my extended family ever was. You could hear a pin drop as he spoke.

gophergirl on June 6, 2014 at 8:38 AM

And we are surrendering our freedom to ivory tower marxists.

rbj on June 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I had met an old fellow one day years ago and come to find out that he was a Medic in the Canadian Army on D-Day. I had just seen “Saving Private Ryan” and was curious about the accuracy of that opening scene. So I asked him if he had seen the movie. He said yes. I asked him if the invasion itself was like that. He said it was worse.

I didn’t ask him anything more. I got teary, thanked him for his service and bought his coffee.

mjk on June 6, 2014 at 8:46 AM

My wife’s aunt was a nurse in WWII and was in the first wave of nurses to hit the beaches only but a few days after the invasion. She never really spoke of it. She passed away 8 months ago of cancer.

Thinking about what these men and women did along with the many acts of heroism merely by showing up still brings tears to my eyes

G-d bless them and May G-d bless America.

theblacksheepwasright on June 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM

My uncle landed at Normandy and was wounded by a piece of shrapnel to the neck within the first ten minutes. My father arrived by parachute with the 82nd Airborne. He came back without a scratch. They’re both gone now, and soon the rest will leave us. God bless them all.

RadClown on June 6, 2014 at 8:54 AM

SALUTE.

Del Dolemonte on June 6, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Better men than any of us will ever be.

Real men.

Men made of leather and steel.

God rest you all.

CurtZHP on June 6, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Truly the Longest Day!

TooTall on June 6, 2014 at 9:01 AM

May we all remember that it just was not Americans that hit the beaches at Normandy on June 6th. There were five beachheads. Americans were tasked to take Omaha and Utah. Canadians were assigned Juno. The British were assigned to take Sword and Gold.

The true, sad part is that when we won the so-called War in Europe in May 1945, Hitler’s ally at the beginning of WWII, Stalin, began the Cold War. Churchill made his famous Iron Curtain speech in Fulton Missouri on March 5, 1946. That is less than one year after the the defeat of Nazi Germany. The war would never have occurred if Stalin, Uncle Joe, had not conspired with Hitler by signing the Hitler Stalin Pact of 1939. You might say that the “War” did not end until the fall of the Berlin Wall and when Poland and the other Soviet puppet states finally became free.

SC.Charlie on June 6, 2014 at 9:12 AM

May the souls of all these brave men rest in peace.

Thank you for your service. I just don’t know what else to say.

RI_Red on June 6, 2014 at 9:14 AM

I worked with my Dad as a carpenter when I was a teen and hung out with him and his friends on the job and at the firehouse.

These men were gruff and rough men initially but as I got older I saw the bond that held them together was the wartime experience they all went through. They spoke of it infrequently but every time they did there was always that long silence, as if they were all thinking about something that happened to them.

All of them are gone now and even though Dad has been in heaven these last 11 years, I still miss the heck out of him.

Vince on June 6, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I have been to Normandy and seen the American graveyard. It is awe inspiring. I went in November 1993 and was able to talk to the man who was planning the 50th anniversary for about 45 minutes. When I told him my home town he was shocked. He asked just how many people lived in it. He said that there were a lot of Veterans coming from there. After talking to him. We went to Pointe du Hoc. That was one darn cold, windy day, but nothing was going to stop me from seeing that one location.

The French over all have a bad attitude toward tourists, but In the Normandy area that is not the case. They welcome Americans with open hearts and arms.

SC.Charlie on June 6, 2014 at 9:22 AM

My husband, retired Navy, my dad, a WWII vet, and I were talking about this last night. I told them I didn’t think I could have gotten off the boat. My father explained it simply “We did it because we had to do it”.
I don’t know of any leader today that would act with the courage and honor of Eisenhower.

megthered on June 6, 2014 at 9:22 AM

I have been at this thread for most of the morning, considering what to say. To recount my kins experiences and service in WWII. How to best honor the Men lost. I’m sorry, I have no words. None are adequate to truly express that which I feel. May we never need to find the words again. We the living, the generations that came after, are fortunate beyond our abilities to know the sacrifices made. Blessings upon these Men and all whom serve.

Bmore on June 6, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Every time I listen to Eisenhower’s speech, I get a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. God bless all those that participated that day and especially those that didn’t get to come home.

TulsAmerican on June 6, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Thanks Ed and everyone else for your heartfelt comments; it’s one of those moments when you can’t help weeping tears of sorrow and gratitude for those who sacrificed on our behalf.

AltTuning on June 6, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I lost my hero this year.

It’s a good read.

wolly4321 on June 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I was a baby during the war. I had my own ration book. My father didn’t go. He was really too old and had a heart murmur.

I think we appreciate these soldiers now because of the lack of courage and patriotism we are living with now.

crankyoldlady on June 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM

My father served in the Navy in the Pacific. He saw his share of kamikaze, and other horrors. Sadly he is suffering from dementia and can’t remember anything any more. And I have so many questions to ask.

Ellen on June 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Today is a very, very sad day in America. The shame that I feel cannot be expressed, as I look at the photos of the brave men who gave their very lives so that I may live mine in freedom and liberty. And my generation and that of my offspring have failed to carry the torch that those men lit. As our once great nation crumbles before us, I ask (to no one in particular), is this the America that these brave souls stormed that beach in defense of? Is this the result of all of that spilled blood, broken hearts and endless tombstones? What a shameful waste. We bring those wonderful men dishonor. They fought for freedom & liberty, and we have given that all away for a free cell phone, $100 a month in food supplements, Sec. 8 Housing, socialized medicine, morally bankrupt Hollywood Idols, the stripping of our religious freedom of expression and the scorn of our government for resisting the shackles of ‘shared sacrifice’ and the ‘greater good’. But I’m just a grumpy old fart…what do I know about any of this?

bimmcorp on June 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM

On the heels of my defeatest, depressing comment, I wanted to share this missive from a true, American Patriot. Thank God there are the Sarah Palins of America…maybe there is hope after all:

Freedom Isn’t Free and the Price Was Paid on D-Day
“For four long years, much of Europe had been under a terrible shadow. Free nations had fallen, Jews cried out in the camps, millions cried out for liberation. Europe was enslaved, and the world prayed for its rescue. Here in Normandy the rescue began. Here the Allies stood and fought against tyranny in a giant undertaking unparalleled in human history.”
So began the famous speech President Reagan gave 30 years ago as he stood on the windswept heights of Pointe du Hoc and honored those heroic Americans who courageously captured the cliffs on D-Day. Pointing to these extraordinary members of the Greatest Generation who were by then elderly men, Reagan said, “These are the boys of Pointe du Hoc. These are the men who took the cliffs. These are the champions who helped free a continent. These are the heroes who helped end a war.”
Today, on the 70th Anniversary of D-Day, fewer of these brave Americans are still with us. We call them the Greatest Generation because we remain in awe of the sacrifices they willingly and selflessly made to liberate the world from evil. Their efforts in war and later in peacetime made America the strongest and most prosperous nation in the history of mankind. What we have today we owe to them because they carried the fate of civilization on their shoulders. If our men had been defeated, what corner of the world would have been safe from the unspeakable horror of Nazism?
It’s the honor of a lifetime to meet World War II veterans. I do stand in awe of them and will never forget those blessed meetings because these humble men embody true courage and valor. They served with real honor and distinction. That is why it is justified outrage felt by Americans today, knowing our government is so wrong to withhold anything our finest in uniform earned and so richly deserve, including their promised health care. Also included is the respect they deserve. They should be at the front of the line.
Our country is faced with so many challenges, but the Greatest Generation has shown us that nothing is impossible with faith and courage and commitment to fight for what is right! They are inspiration for today! My fellow Americans, never forget that we are the sons and daughters of the heroes who stormed the beaches of Normandy and freed the world from tyranny. Though our challenges today may seem daunting, they are nothing compared to what they faced on June 6, 1944. So, stand proud and remember the words of General Eisenhower to the Allied Forces on the eve of the battle: “We will accept nothing less than full victory!”
This is our heritage; be proud of it! Parents, please take time to teach your children true history and the story of what these men accomplished on D-Day. Perhaps simple things like watching “The Longest Day” or “Saving Private Ryan,” and as a family making preparations to understand and celebrate our upcoming Independence Day, can remind our kids of sacrifices made for their freedom. Teach them to never take freedom for granted. Heaven forbid ever allowing our vet’s sacrifices to be in vain.
God bless the Greatest Generation. A grateful nation owes you everything.
(Please read this moving account of D-Day: http://tinyurl.com/lb8de2d. It confirms our commitment to never letting the angry faithless kick God out of our public square. Further, it should empower you to support new leaders who don’t pretend to have all the answers, but instead humbly call out to God for wisdom, strength, and His hand of protection over America, especially in perilous times.)
- Sarah Palin

bimmcorp on June 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Krupnikas on June 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM

My hat is off to the remaining few who gave it all for democracy. Today those who mock democracy and freedom stand behind the podium on the beaches of Normandy and are firing off blank rhetoric. – Krupnikas on June 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I am not going to listen to the speeches that are being given today at Normany. I just can not do it.

SC.Charlie on June 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM

‘In this time of nuclear weaponry and Islamic jihad, we cannot afford to wait for the fight to come to us. You need to understand that. This political correctness stuff is a bunch of crap. This generation is so goddamned spoiled and lazy that they wouldn’t know a real threat to their freedom until it interrupted the power source to their x-box and killed a half a million people. ‘The complacency of fools will destroy them.” That’s written in the Bible.

My God, I really wonder where we’d be today if some of our current members of Congress were residing during World War II. I think that we’d all be speaking German right now and the world would have a severe shortage of Jews. These people like Harry Reid. That son of a bitch is like a man in combat who won’t provide you the cover of fire that you ask for so you end up getting your goddamned head blown off! People like him don’t know anything more about the process of defending modern freedom than they do about fornicating.

Keep moving. We’ll win this war, but we’ll win it only by fighting and by showing Progressives that we’ve got more guts than they have; or ever will have. We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-b*tches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to fuel our big-assed SUVs.

I don’t want to get any messages saying, ‘I am holding my position.’ We are not holding a Goddamned thing. Let the Progressives do that. We are advancing constantly and we are not interested in holding onto anything, except the enemy’s balls. We are going to twist his balls and kick the living shit out of him all of the time. Our basic plan of operation is to advance and to keep on advancing regardless of whether we have to go over, under, or through the enemy. We are going to go through him like crap through a goose….

From time to time there will be some complaints that we are pushing our people too hard. I don’t give a good Goddamn about such complaints. I believe in the old and sound rule that an ounce of sweat will save a gallon of blood. The harder WE push, the more Progressives we will kill. The more Progressives we kill, the fewer of our liberties will be killed. Pushing means more liberty. I want you all to remember that.

I want you to knock on doors. Ring up everyone that you know. Get in people’s faces. Bring bazookas to knife fights. Register people to vote against Obama. Drive busloads of people to the polls.

Divorce your spouse if s/he intends to vote for higher taxes, higher energy bills, wealth redistribution, more debt monetisation, more currency devaluation, trillions more in debt, taxation without representation forced upon your future heirs, jailers of “blasphemers,” defenders of barbarians, and for those that ‘love America so much that they want to fundamentally transform her.’

Disown your children, if they intend to vote for Progressives. They “care about the poor”? Well, good! Let them live amongst them and see how well government programmes help the poor! They can be foot soldiers in the War on Poverty. If they are typical of the Left, we will soon be hearing about ‘exit strategies’!

May God have mercy on my enemies because I won’t.’

- ‘General George S Patton’, more precisely, RWM channeling him

Resist We Much on June 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM

My wife and I are going to France, Belgium, and Germany in September to retrace the WWII journey of my father in law. We have all the letters that he wrote to his new wife during his entire WWII experience. God Bless the US Military.

d1carter on June 6, 2014 at 10:03 AM

1Lt Jimmie W. Monteith Jr, USA

tanked59 on June 6, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Tech5 John J. Pinder Jr., USA

tanked59 on June 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM

gophergirl on June 6, 2014 at 8:17 AM

I’m beginning to think he was the last fundamentally decent man to hold that office.

Buck Farky on June 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Thank you to all who served.

I appreciate my freedom, and I know that it isn’t free. I know that it was purchased at a very great price.

Again, THANK YOU!

ITguy on June 6, 2014 at 10:10 AM

The debt Europe owes to the brave American, British, and Canadian troops for that day can never be repaid. Which leads to the question – where exactly were the French troops ??

Sorry. Somebody had to say it.

DeweyWins on June 6, 2014 at 10:11 AM

where exactly were the French troops ??

Sorry. Somebody had to say it.

DeweyWins on June 6, 2014 at 10:11 AM

They had been defeated. That’s why the German Army was implanted in France and needed to be eradicated. History 101.

bimmcorp on June 6, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Normandy

Come and stand in memory

Of men who fought and died

They gave their lives in Normandy

Remember them with pride.

Soldiers, Airman, sailors

Airborne and marines

Who in civvy life were tailors

and men who worked machines.

British and Canadian

And men from USA

Forces from the Commonwealth

They all were there that day

To Juno, Sword and Utah

Beaches of renown

Also Gold and Omaha

That’s where the ramps went down.

The battle raged in Normandy

Many lives were lost

The war must end in victory

And this must be the cost

When my life is over

And I reach the other side

I’ll meet my friends from Normandy

And shake their hands with pride.

— Cyril Crain, Juno Beach Veteran

tanked59 on June 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM

What a perfect headline. I always choke up about this day in history…I never knew anyone who served, never lost anyone…it’s just so mind boggling, the bravery, the selflessness, the courage. the will, the strength, the honor of those men and women. Truly amazing.

scalleywag on June 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Deepest honor and respect. Words can’t express it.

70 years ago, free men stood against evil – and evil failed

And today… not so much.

Midas on June 6, 2014 at 10:19 AM

‘In this time of nuclear weaponry and Islamic jihad, we cannot afford to wait for the fight to come to us. You need to understand that. This political correctness stuff is a bunch of crap. This generation is so goddamned spoiled and lazy that they wouldn’t know a real threat to their freedom until it interrupted the power source to their x-box and killed a half a million people. ‘The complacency of fools will destroy them.’ That’s written in the Bible.

My God, I really wonder where we’d be today if some of our current members of Congress were residing during World War II. I think that we’d all be speaking German right now and the world would have a severe shortage of Jews. These people like Harry Reid. That son of a b*tch is like a man in combat who won’t provide you the cover of fire that you ask for so you end up getting your godd@mned head blown off! People like him don’t know anything more about the process of defending modern freedom than they do about fornicating.

I don’t want to get any messages saying, ‘I am holding my position.’ We are not holding a Godd@mned thing. Let the Progressives do that. We are advancing constantly and we are not interested in holding onto anything, except the enemy’s balls. We are going to twist his balls and kick the living shit out of him all of the time. Our basic plan of operation is to advance and to keep on advancing regardless of whether we have to go over, under, or through the enemy. We are going to go through him like crap through a goose….

From time to time there will be some complaints that we are pushing our people too hard. I don’t give a good Godd@mn about such complaints. I believe in the old and sound rule that an ounce of sweat will save a gallon of blood. The harder WE push, the more Progressives we will kill. The more Progressives we kill, the fewer of our liberties will be killed. Pushing means more liberty. I want you all to remember that.

I want you to knock on doors. Ring up everyone that you know. Get in people’s faces. Bring bazookas to knife fights. Register people to vote against Obama and his team of merry henchmen, hacks, moonbats, EnviroNazis, HomoFascists, radicals, long beards, terrorist-sympathisers, and Blame America Firsters. Drive busloads of people to the polls.

Divorce your spouse if s/he intends to vote for higher taxes, higher energy bills, wealth redistribution, more debt monetisation, more currency devaluation, trillions more in debt, taxation without representation forced upon your future heirs, jailers of ‘blasphemers’ of Progressive orthodoxy, defenders of barbarians, and for those that ‘love America so much that they want to fundamentally transform her.’

Disown your children, if they intend to vote for Progressives. They ‘care about the poor’? Well, good! Let them live amongst them and see how well government programmes help the poor! They can be foot soldiers in the War on Poverty. If they are typical of the Left, we will soon be hearing about ‘exit strategies’!

May God have mercy on my enemies because I won’t.’

- ‘General George S Patton’, more precisely, RWM channeling him

Resist We Much on June 6, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Amazing men and women stepped up when it counted the most, God bless them all. Thanks for the post, Ed, it should be at the top of HA all day.
“The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.”

whatcat on June 6, 2014 at 10:19 AM

My dear old dad was on Normandy that day.He said they called it Red Beach.

docflash on June 6, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Indeed much blood was shed that day.

“America’s claim — our commitment to liberty, to equality, to freedom, to the inherent dignity of every human being — that claim is written in blood on these beaches, and it will endure for eternity,” Obama said in remarks prepared for delivery…

news.yahoo.com/obama-says-d-day-decided-fate-freedom-212736837.html

I take issue with Obama using the phrase “written in blood”.

Nothing was “written” with the blood that was shed there, and when I hear “written in blood”, I think of the lines written in blood on the walls of the Benghazi compound, and the “Obama flag”.

ITguy on June 6, 2014 at 10:20 AM

My Dad, a WWII VET, ARMY AIR CORP.

passed aways in the Fall of last year…he was 40 years old when
I was born, the last of 7 kids he and my Mom had….

Not a day goes by that I don’t think of Him..he was the
strongest man I ever knew….

ToddPA on June 6, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Resist We Much on June 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM

*stands and applauds*

Midas on June 6, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Sorry. Somebody had to say it.

DeweyWins on June 6, 2014 at 10:11 AM

There was a small group (the size of which I don’t know) of French military who had escaped with the British at Dunkirk in 1940, who later participated in the D-Day invasion.

The French Underground were a minority, but that “minority” wreaked havoc between sundown June 5th and sunrise June 6th, 1944.

God bless those in the minority.

listens2glenn on June 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM

To stand on the same ground that so many fought and gave their lives for is not only one of my most cherished memories, but also one of my greatest honors. If you ever have the opportunity to travel to Normandy, all I can tell you is TAKE IT, you will never regret it. The debt we owe to these men cannot be measured.

tanked59 on June 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM

If WWII would have happened today, with this “President” and the “this war is lost” DimocRats in Washington, we would all be speaking German right now.

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight fundamental transformation.

We shall fight the elites and their Useful Idiots.

We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in resolve.

We shall defend our founding, whatever the cost in blood, sweat, and deprivation may be.

We shall fight in hallowed halls of marble colonnades.

We shall fight in hearing rooms, courtrooms, and back rooms.

We shall fight in the vipers’ nest where inky venom is spewed.

We shall fight on the delta smelt breeding grounds.

We shall fight in the solar fields and in the streets.

We shall fight in the schools and universities.

We shall fight until their beachheads lay in ruins.

We shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this bounteous land from sea to shining sea or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then we will continue to fight the Overlords responsible. Moreover, our compatriots beyond the seas, armed and ready, would carry on The Struggle, until, in God’s good time, the people of reason, with all their power and might, step forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old Utopians (or not, your mileage may vary) . . . for we, armed with truth, principles, and honour shall prevail and those whom have waved the bloody hammer and sickle shall find them turned to ash.

As it ever was, as it shall evermore be.’

- ‘Prime Minister Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, DL, FRS, RA’, or more precisely, RWM channeling Churchill

70th Anniversary of D-Day: SoRo Channels Patton And Churchill

Resist We Much on June 6, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Grandpa was a medic. All we know is that he was in France because he never spoke of what he saw and endured. Everyone’s remembrances have brought me to tears. Thank you for sharing and thank God for giving us these real men of steel.

jazzuscounty on June 6, 2014 at 10:30 AM

*stands and applauds*

Midas on June 6, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Thx.

Always worth a listen…no matter how many times you’ve heard it:

Patton speech

Resist We Much on June 6, 2014 at 10:31 AM

And today gutless cowards like Obama, Vichy republicans and many in the dimocrat party cower in the face of evil and piss it away for nothing more than a couple of magic beans. I’m glad my grandfather is not around to see what this country has degenerated into.

bbinfl on June 6, 2014 at 10:33 AM

As I watch the D Day commemoration ceremony today with great emotion….I see the POTUS chewing gum..?

d1carter on June 6, 2014 at 10:35 AM

bbinfl on June 6, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Truer words have never been spoken.

The bunch you described would have surrendered soon after Pearl Harbor, as soon as they felt they could gain politically by selling out America.

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Resist We Much on June 6, 2014 at 10:29 AM

People from other countries seem to be more passionate than we are. I think we tend to take for granted what we have. I take exception to people who say, “Well, we have a constitution for that”. The constitution only stands as long as the people support it. Freedom isn’t free. There will always be someone who wants to take it away from us.

crankyoldlady on June 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM

bimmcorp on June 6, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Thanks for the lesson Bimm. It was more a comment on the weak French resistance and the collaboration of Vichy France.

DeweyWins on June 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM

My Dad (who served during the Korean war) never met a military-focused charitable organization that he didn’t like. He regularly donates and volunteers his time in an effort to continue to show his respect and gratitude for all who served before him and all who serve today. He taught me how important it is not to forget what we have been given… and to do what I can, whenever I can, to help these essential causes. I try my best to follow his example and give something back, even though I know it could never come close to the sacrifices made by so many.
We can only offer our prayers for the fallen, but together, we can offer some small bit of help to those who now need us.

Wounded Warriors, K9′s for Warriors….find the one you like and keep them in mind the next time you have a little extra cash.
It will be some of the best money you ever spent.
My Dad told me so many years ago…and it turned out that he was absolutely right.

lynncgb on June 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM

God Bless Our Troops.

Newtie and the Beauty on June 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Since the government is failing the veterans charities will have to step up.

crankyoldlady on June 6, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Freedom had been making its stand at places like El Guettar, Sened Pass, Gela, Salerno, and Anzio.

Normandy was the culmination of all that sacrifice.

formwiz on June 6, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Crankyoldlady that’s because most of the people in this country have never really suffered. When I was stationed overseas and saw some of the other countries I realized that we here in the US don’t know just how fortunate we are with what we have. Well at least until the gutless coward and his ilk took over the WH and congress.

bbinfl on June 6, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I’m not getting this interpretive dance thing on the beaches of Normandy…

d1carter on June 6, 2014 at 11:01 AM

70 years ago brave and smart leaders led brave and smart men.

Today pajama boys play leader to those brave and smart men.

Could we ever again repel an evil like Nazism?

For that matter, will we ever launch another manned space flight?

Pajamabama has deflated this Country beyond recognition. We can only take solace in the triumphs of the past made by better men.

NOMOBO on June 6, 2014 at 11:22 AM

SC.Charlie on June 6, 2014 at 9:22 AM

They do very much remember us in Normandy with great thanks. I remember being surprised to see at least one statute honoring the US somewhere in Normandy.

(I’m not sure France’s overall reputation for being difficult to tourists is as deserved as it was 30 years ago.)

jim56 on June 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Why is this privately funded museum in New Orleans? Andrew Higgins, Higgins Industries invent and built the Higgins Boats in New Orleans. These were the landing craft used which made the landings possible.

Kermit on June 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM

No one wants to talk to Dear Leader…he looks uncomfortable.

d1carter on June 6, 2014 at 11:30 AM

70 years ago brave and smart leaders led brave and smart men.

Today pajama boys play leader to those brave and smart men.

Could we ever again repel an evil like Nazism?

For that matter, will we ever launch another manned space flight?

NOMOBO on June 6, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Repel an evil like Nazism? They’ve now infested the entire Federal Government. They don’t call themselves that, but the ideology is nearly identical.

The surrender merchants in Washington could never stand up to a threat today like the heroes of our greatest generation had to in WWII.

If WWII happened today, this country would not survive it.

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 11:31 AM

If Obama had been president, the war would have ended quickly–we would have surrendered right after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

zoyclem on June 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I was trying to refrain from mentioning our current leadership problems in washington in this thread. I will not mention that man’s name as it is a stain on the memory of those who served. Don’t forget that while we invaded Normandy the US conducted a huge operation in the Pacific , June 13. 3 army and marine divisions invaded Saipan in the Marianas islands. We were also conducting operations in Italy, China and Burma. The point being Overlord was even more impressive in the context of the entire war effort. god bless all who served back then as well as all who serve now.

warmairfan on June 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Respect for these men and love for this country.

kcewa on June 6, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I’d like to offer my sincere apologise to the Greatest Generation. On behalf of the 30 somethings. We have taken the great things your generation accomplished for granted, we’ve allowed ourselves to consider your Greatness our birthright. From the struggles you faced ‘over there’ to your unbridled spirit to continue to fight to re-biuld America upon your return, we’ve taken the strong foundations you biult adn upon them we have set a structure that with each passing year seems to become more riddled with holes, dry rot, and nearer to colapse. We have not been good stewarts of your legacy. We have allowed trivial disagreements to divide and weaken our once Great Nation. And from the shouts of baby killer, to the chants of ‘you lied, people died’ to the current VA deaths at the hand of a growing beuracracy of fools we can only now turn to you with hat in hand, head bowed in deserved humility adn meakly whisper, we are sorry.

Von Kleist on June 6, 2014 at 12:05 PM

70 years ago, free men stood against evil – and evil failed

Russian peasant conscripts under Stalin were “free men”?

You do know that it was the Russians who really broke the Wehrmacht’s back, right? Sure we and the Brits and the aussies and loads of others helped, but WW2 was really won by russia, if you can count losing 13-16% of your total population as “wining.” (we lost way less than 1%, even the Brits lost only about 1%)

Tlaloc on June 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM

*eyeroll*

Tlaloc on June 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Any war we become involved in with this President, will be a conscious, deliberate attempt on the part of this President (& company) to finish off the U.S., once and for all.
But in spite of it (should it occur), … I … will … not … concede … that we will lose this country.

listens2glenn on June 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Tlaloc on June 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM

There was a war going on in Asia.

kcewa on June 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM

listens2glenn on June 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM

The problem is, neither you nor I would have any say in it.

We are living, right now, under our first American Dictator.

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM

70 years ago, free men stood against evil – and evil failed

Ed Morrissey on June 6, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Russian peasant conscripts under Stalin were “free men”?

You do know that it was the Russians who really broke the Wehrmacht’s back, right? Sure we and the Brits and the aussies and loads of others helped, but WW2 was really won by russia, if you can count losing 13-16% of your total population as “winning.” (we lost way less than 1%, even the Brits lost only about 1%)

Tlaloc on June 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM

You’re not going to get me to concede the premise that Russia could have beat Hitler on their own.

listens2glenn on June 6, 2014 at 12:18 PM

listens2glenn on June 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM

The problem is, neither you nor I would have any say in it.

We are living, right now, under our first American Dictator.

Meople on June 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM

The American people, including the one’s who religiously vote Democrat, do NOT want to live under a dictatorship.

They’re eventually going to rebel, when it becomes “too-obvious-to-ignore” that their “hero” that they trusted in, is not working in their best interests.

listens2glenn on June 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM

OK history buffs, I have a question.

I was watching a documentary a few days ago about the invasion of Okinawa and the assault on Sugar Loaf Hill. A historian claimed that more men and ships were used for the invasion of Okinawa than were used on D-Day. Is that true?

Captain Kirock on June 6, 2014 at 12:42 PM

70 years ago, free men stood against evil – and evil failed

…soon…none of this…will be in our history books.

KOOLAID2 on June 6, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I make a similar post here every year on June 6th in memory of my father, the Rev’d Reginald Haw, Lieutenant Commander, Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve, who went ashore on D-day as chaplain of 47 Royal Marine Commando. Their role was not to engage the enemey on the beaches but to work their way around behind the German lines and move west to a point behind the town of Port-en-Bessin. On June 7th the Commando launched a successful attack on Port-en-Bessin from the rear, capturing the town following intense fighting. My father worked in the aid station with the medical personnel and that night buried the dead Royal Marines and the dead Germans. On June 8th the Pipleline Under the Ocean (PLUTO) came ashore at Port-en-Bessin and was used to supply fuel to the Allied forces. Above my desk as I type this is the map of the German defences around Port-en-Bessin that my father carried with him on D-day.

God Bless you dad, and all of the men who did this for us and our freedom.

Trafalgar on June 6, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I had the privilege a few years back of helping an old man use a public kiosk at a hospital. I didn’t know it would be a privilege, but it turned out he was a World War 2 veteran who had been in the campaign that worked its way from Normandy through France, and he was trying to find a web site dedicated to a tracking surviving members of the unit. They took their name from an attack on a place called, literally “Bastard,” though with the accent on the last syllable.

I spend a little while looking at that reunion web site, and looking up that whole story on Google. It was a very rough fight. I wish I could find all that information again, but the number of hits that get returned when you google “World War 2 bastard” is unbelievable.

There Goes the Neighborhood on June 6, 2014 at 12:59 PM